PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Men's Basketball thread

klw
11-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Not seeing a thread on this topic I thought I would get one going.

Got to watch on ESPN my alma mater almost beat #1 UNC last night. Unfortunately Davidson fell short in the last few minutes after failing to put UNC away when it had a chances to do so in the 2nd half. Stephan Curry, Dell's son, reminded me of a young Ray Allen. (Not to make this a Boston related thread):pray:

reds1869
11-15-2007, 07:49 PM
When did you go to Davidson? I'm a lifelong Marshall fan and graduated from MU in 2001. We used to have some fun games with you all when we were in the Southern Conference.

I'm also a Xavier alum and was crushed by their loss to Miami the other night. All I can say is that Charlie Coles is one of the best coaches I have had the privilege of watching over the years, He always gets a whole lot out of a minimal amount of talent.

Gainesville Red
11-15-2007, 11:05 PM
3-peat. Here we come.

KronoRed
11-16-2007, 01:17 AM
3-peat. Here we come.

Man I'll just be happy if we win 10 games ;)

reds1869
11-16-2007, 04:29 PM
3-peat. Here we come.

I'm still bitter that Billy D took Jason Williams with him when he went to coach you guys. :)

Gainesville Red
11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm still bitter that Billy D took Jason Williams with him when he went to coach you guys. :)

If it makes you feel better, we didn't have him for long.

Puffy
11-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Not seeing a thread on this topic I thought I would get one going.

Got to watch on ESPN my alma mater almost beat #1 UNC last night. Unfortunately Davidson fell short in the last few minutes after failing to put UNC away when it had a chances to do so in the 2nd half. Stephan Curry, Dell's son, reminded me of a young Ray Allen. (Not to make this a Boston related thread):pray:

I am a UNC fan and let me tell you - you guys have nothing to hang your head about with regard to that loss. I've heard people on Duke boards and on Kentucky boards gloating about how UNC is overrated because they struggled to win the opener. Yes, Kentucky fans talking smack after they themselves lost to Gardner Webb on their home court. Anyway, UNC didn't play great, but I think alot has to do with how good a team Davidson is. I think it was a great opening game for UNC. A character builder.

Now Davidson needs to beat Duke in early December - I will be a HUGE Daividson fan for that game!

RANDY IN INDY
11-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Watched the game and Davidson is a good basketball team.

KronoRed
11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
If it makes you feel better, we didn't have him for long.

He was a big fan of the Ricky Williams way of playing

Gainesville Red
11-16-2007, 08:48 PM
He was a big fan of the Ricky Williams way of playing

Probably still is.

Caseyfan21
11-17-2007, 12:11 AM
I honestly thought Davidson was going to win going into that game. They have a very good team. My aunt and cousins live in Davidson about 5 minutes away from the school so I'm pretty familiar with it. They definitely gave OSU a fight in the NCAA tournament when we played them.

traderumor
11-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Got to see the Buckeyes play for the first time. I think they are going to make some noise yet again. They simply dominated Syracuse in MSG. Very impressive game. Jamar Butler is good. Kosta Kofous is a very athletic 7 footer and Othello Hunter is a man inside. Of course, with the youth, you may not even recognize them if you watch them play A&M Friday.

Razor Shines
11-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Eric Gordon looks awfully good so far this year. I'm looking forward to when the Hoosiers play someone decent.

reds2221
11-23-2007, 12:28 AM
i'm a fan of Marshall and Xavier, and I can honestly say that this year marshall's going to have a great season (by our standards) and donnie jones certainly will do a much better job than jirsa did. As for Xavier, yes that miami loss was very crushing, but as long as we can bounce back we'll be fine, we just can't blow anymore games like that.

Gainesville Red
11-23-2007, 03:32 AM
You will like Donnie Jones. May take a little time, but there will be a measurable improvment.

OnBaseMachine
11-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm loving OJ Mayo. Through four games he has scored 32 points, 16 points, 29 points, and 20 points. I think he, along with another very talented freshman named Davon Jefferson and sophomores Taj Gibson and Daniel Hackett could lead SC to an elite eight appearance this year after reaching the sweet 16 last year.

Fil3232
11-23-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm loving OJ Mayo. Through four games he has scored 32 points, 16 points, 29 points, and 20 points. I think he, along with another very talented freshman named Davon Jefferson and sophomores Taj Gibson and Daniel Hackett could lead SC to an elite eight appearance this year after reaching the sweet 16 last year.

OJ and the Trojans are going to have their hands full with Miami University tonight. Should be a good matchup.

OnBaseMachine
11-24-2007, 02:38 AM
OJ and the Trojans are going to have their hands full with Miami University tonight. Should be a good matchup.

SC narrowly escaped with a 57-53 victory. Mayo scored 21 points...Miami played a heckuva game.

reds2221
11-24-2007, 10:00 PM
at halftime xavier is beating #9 Indiana by 11! go muskies!

Matt700wlw
11-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Wow! X romps #8 Indiana 80-65!

I'm not X fan by nature, but that's huge!

Will this put them in the rankings? I would think so...

Danny Serafini
11-25-2007, 01:47 AM
I would seriously doubt that they're ranked, with the loss to Miami and no other wins of note. Doesn't really matter, the polls in basketball are meaningless, so just take care of business in the A-10 (which they should) and all will be well.

Danny Serafini
11-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Got to see the Buckeyes play for the first time. I think they are going to make some noise yet again. They simply dominated Syracuse in MSG. Very impressive game. Jamar Butler is good. Kosta Kofous is a very athletic 7 footer and Othello Hunter is a man inside. Of course, with the youth, you may not even recognize them if you watch them play A&M Friday.

Ohio St. and Syracuse are my two favorites, so it stunk that they played each other, but it was good to see them in action. I wasn't surprised at all to see OSU win that one. Syracuse is very athletic and has a lot of raw talent, but they're too undisciplined yet. They turn the ball over way too much, and you can tell the kids haven't fully grasped the zone yet, especially on the wings. They keep running out of position to try and double team, and leave huge gaps which get filled for easy looks at three point shots. As they develop they have a chance to become a really scary team in March. If they don't develop they have a chance to become a train wreck. There's enough talent though that I'd expect them to put it together. Ohio St. is a much more fundamentally sound team, and while their ceiling is a little lower they're more likely to reach it. Just don't ask me to explain the Texas A&M debacle, that was just one of those days.

Razor Shines
11-25-2007, 10:54 AM
Well IU's clearly not as good as I was hoping they would be. I was looking forward for them to be tested by a good team, but apparently it doesn't even take a good team to test (or destroy) the Hoosiers. One of the worst defensive performances I've seen in a while.

Boston Red
11-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Well IU's clearly not as good as I was hoping they would be. I was looking forward for them to be tested by a good team, but apparently it doesn't even take a good team to test (or destroy) the Hoosiers.

That's just silly. Xavier is a very good, and (probably more importantly in November) very experienced team.

Razor Shines
11-26-2007, 04:14 PM
That's just silly. Xavier is a very good, and (probably more importantly in November) very experienced team.

They're not a bad team, but they're not a top 10 or even top 15 team. My point was that if IU is going to really compete this year they shouldn't be getting beat by teams like Xavier.

I realize that in the broader outlook Xavier is a good team, but not the kind of good team I was talking about and at this point I wouldn't put IU in that category either.

BRM
11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
One of the worst defensive performances I've seen in a while.

Not a stellar shooting permormance either. Lots of bricks in that game. None of Bassett, Crawford, or Gordon could hit the broad side of a barn Saturday night.

Razor Shines
11-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Not a stellar shooting permormance either. Lots of bricks in that game. None of Bassett, Crawford, or Gordon could hit the broad side of a barn Saturday night.

True. Live by the three die by the three, but I still think that if they'd played some decent defense they could have won the game.

BRM
11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
True. Live by the three die by the three, but I still think that if they'd played some decent defense they could have won the game.

It wasn't just three's though. There were numerous drives to the basket where poor shots were taken and missed as well. I do agree with your point on the defense though.

Danny Serafini
11-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I would seriously doubt that they're ranked, with the loss to Miami and no other wins of note. Doesn't really matter, the polls in basketball are meaningless, so just take care of business in the A-10 (which they should) and all will be well.

And then they make me look bad by squeaking in. At least they're at the bottom of the rankings, do I get partial credit for that? :laugh:

dabvu2498
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM
There are some really interesting teams in the current Top 25 RPI.

#3 St. Mary's? Wow!
#7 Dayton? Double wow!

Of course, I'm excited by my Commodores at #7. But conference play is about to get heated up and things will shake out from there, I'm sure.

Last night's UNC-Clemson game was fun to watch, for sure.

How's everyone's teams doing? (UK fans are exempt from answering this one.) Any brilliant observations? (Any Tennessee fans are exempt from answering this one.)

Puffy
01-07-2008, 12:27 PM

#3 St. Mary's? Wow!
#7 Dayton? Double wow!

Of course, I'm excited by my Commodores at #7. But conference play is about to get heated up and things will shake out from there, I'm sure.

How's everyone's teams doing? (UK fans are exempt from answering this one.) Any brilliant observations? (Any Tennessee fans are exempt from answering this one.)

Fun for you maybe - for me it wasn't fun until Ellington hit that shot!

Seriously, Clemson is much better this year than last year when they started out 17-0. Oliver Purcell can coach - I am not sure when that happened, but it did! Hopefully Clemson beats up on Duke a couple times this year. They have the size to really hurt the Blue Devils.

BRM
01-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Dayton and Rhode Island in the AP Top 25 is nice to see and is probably considered surprises as well.

Last night's game was very entertaining although I felt bad for Clemson. That had to be a tough loss for them but they were very impressive. If that's the real Clemson, they will be a tough team to beat in the ACC.

The Hoosiers are 12-1 and looking good right now. The Iowa game got a little scary at the end though when Johnson went crazy and scored 19 in the final 2 minutes.

WVRed
01-07-2008, 12:32 PM

#3 St. Mary's? Wow!
#7 Dayton? Double wow!

I'll answer anyways.

In a normal year, I would have said Vanderbilt and Ole Miss will return to earth once conference play starts, but with Kentucky being horrible this year, Florida rebuilding, and Tennessee being really the only SEC threat, anything is possible.

Huggins has really been a hit in Morgantown and WVU beat Marquette this weekend. But they could fizzle once conference play starts. Beilein's teams never had a true post presence(Pittsnogle lived on the perimeter), and you are seeing a team with no size on the inside.

guttle11
01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Huge game on Wednesday as Dayton hosts Rhode Island. Kicking off A10 play with a bang.

dabvu2498
01-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Fun for you maybe - for me it wasn't fun until Ellington hit that shot!

Seriously, Clemson is much better this year than last year when they started out 17-0. Oliver Purcell can coach - I am not sure when that happened, but it did! Hopefully Clemson beats up on Duke a couple times this year. They have the size to really hurt the Blue Devils.

Agreed. Clemson plays very hard as well. At least they did last night.

While we're on the ACC, I was surprised with UVa's performance vs. Xavier the other night. They looked pretty ordinary. Of course, X shot the eyes out of it. And then did the same vs. Auburn yesterday.

Based solely on X, Dayton, URI, and UMass, there's very little "mid-major" about the A-10 this year. Those 4 teams are all solid.

BTW, it's Oliver PurNell.

BRM
01-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Huge game on Wednesday as Dayton hosts Rhode Island. Kicking off A10 play with a bang.

Do you know if there will be any TV coverage of that game? I'll look at ESPN's scheduled but I doubt they are showing that one.

dabvu2498
01-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Do you know if there will be any TV coverage of that game? I'll look at ESPN's scheduled but I doubt they are showing that one.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010408aac.html

WHIO's showing it locally in D-town. CSTV has it nationally, if you're lucky enough to get it.

BRM
01-07-2008, 12:38 PM
http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/010408aac.html

WHIO's showing it locally in D-town. CSTV has it nationally, if you're lucky enough to get it.

I do get CSTV. Thanks! I may have to check this game out as I haven't seen either team play this year.

dabvu2498
01-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I do get CSTV. Thanks! I may have to check this game out as I haven't seen either team play this year.

I've not seen URI. Dayton is certainly worth watching. Brian Roberts could play for anyone. Chris Wright is going to be special and they have a nice group of role players that all contribute.

guttle11
01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
URI is every bit as good as Dayton. Their best player is Will Daniels, a 6'8" PF. He can do it all. Jimmy Baron, the coaches son, shoots about 46% from 3. The PG is Parfait Bitee (Par-fay Bit-tay...best name this side of God Shammgod), and he is quick, and quick.

Both UD and URI go 9-10 deep, so expect a great game. I am biased, but I'll take UD by a bucket. If only because it's at UD Arena. The beauty of it is, these two teams play again at URI in early Feb.

Dayton play URI and X twice in conference play. If they split with both, I'd be happy. X is probably the best team in the A10, which says something. The A10 may be a four bid league this year, if all three plus UMass do well in conference play. Throw in St Joes (two OT losses from a nice OOC resume), Duquesne (Yep), and even an improving St Louis (finally seem to be grasping Majerus' system), and the A10 will be tough.

flyer85
01-07-2008, 01:32 PM
as a Flyer fan it has been a good year ... so far.

OP has always been able to coach, he has done a rebuilding job 4 times(Radford, ODU, UD and now Clemson). In each situation he took a program on hard times and turned them into a winner ... not an easy task.

guttle11
01-07-2008, 02:13 PM
FWIW, Dayton is up to #17 in the AP poll, and #22 in the coaches.

URI is #22 and #20 respectively. Xavier is #24/#25.

LoganBuck
01-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like there are at least 15 teams this year that seem to have a legitimate chance to dance in the last game? I like UNC and Kansas best so far, but it seems like there are some really nice looking teams this year. Lots of good young talent spread out as well. This is going to be one of those years where you need to fill out seven different brackets to have a chance in any pool.

dabvu2498
01-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like there are at least 15 teams this year that seem to have a legitimate chance to dance in the last game? I like UNC and Kansas best so far, but it seems like there are some really nice looking teams this year. Lots of good young talent spread out as well. This is going to be one of those years where you need to fill out seven different brackets to have a chance in any pool.

Might end up that way, but from what I've seen I'd say
Kansas, UNC, Mich St., and maybe Memphis are a step or two ahead of most everyone else.

Haven't seen UCLA play more than a couple minutes, so they may belong in that group also.

Texas may also.

Danny Serafini
01-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Based solely on X, Dayton, URI, and UMass, there's very little "mid-major" about the A-10 this year. Those 4 teams are all solid.

I'm going to go on a slight side rant for a second. The term mid-major is getting thrown about way too much by media types nowadays. Conferences like the Mountain West, WAC, A-10, etc. are not mid-major. They're high-major conferences. They've just had the mid-major label slapped on them by lazy media types who just lump together any non-BCS conference as mid-major, despite the fact that the BCS is completely irrelevant to basketball. It's an annoying trend that's popped up over the past few years.

Danny Serafini
01-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Normally I don't give anyone a chance at going undefeated, it's way too hard to do, but I think Memphis really has a shot at it this year. They've got the right combination of a very talented team and a workable schedule. They've had some strong nonconference tests, but at home or neutral sites, no tough true road games. And CUSA still stinks this year. The only possible stumbling block may be the trip to Houston, otherwise they should sail through again. They shouldn't get too rusty during their week conference schedule though, as they've smartly scheduled two tough nonconference games (Gonzaga and Tennessee) during the conference season to keep them on their toes. They really should go into the NCAA tournament at 34-0, and they've got the talent to win the title.

Boston Red
01-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I'm going to go on a slight side rant for a second. The term mid-major is getting thrown about way too much by media types nowadays. Conferences like the Mountain West, WAC, A-10, etc. are not mid-major. They're high-major conferences. They've just had the mid-major label slapped on them by lazy media types who just lump together any non-BCS conference as mid-major, despite the fact that the BCS is completely irrelevant to basketball. It's an annoying trend that's popped up over the past few years.

Agreed 100%! People who think there is no difference between the Atlantic 10, WAC, MWC and C-USA and the Colonial, the MAC and the Horizon, for example, should not be allowed media credentials to cover college basketball.

BRM
01-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Did anyone watch the Dayton/URI game last night?

dabvu2498
01-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Did anyone watch the Dayton/URI game last night?

Yes sir! Enjoyed it thoroughly. That game was played at a pretty high level. Both teams really played hard, epspecially in the first half.

The development of Huelsman has been a big factor in Dayton's success. He gives them a nice presence on both ends of the floor. Brian Roberts had another nice game. Hopefully Chris Wright can recoup from another ankle injury. I doubt he'll be 100% healthy all year.

Will Daniels from URI is an absolute stud!

BRM
01-10-2008, 09:17 AM
I was very impressed with the Flyers last night. They have a good squad.

guttle11
01-10-2008, 01:28 PM
My favorite play from the game (which I watched numerous times on DVR after I got home) came in the second half. London Warren stuck his foot in front of the RI ballhandler and the ball came lose. London dove on the floor followed by about 7 guys. The ball remains loose and eventually pops up in the air and gets tapped a few times. London Warren pops up from the bottom of the pile to catch the ball and sprint down the floor, and draw a foul on a layup.

I love London Warren. The energy he brings, he's everywhere on the floor. How he got out of that rugby scrum running full speed with the ball, I'll never know.

WMR
01-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Florida State is giving Duke all they can handle on ESPN.

guttle11
01-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Not a good night for the Ohio portion of the A14. UD gets outshot by UMass 82-71 (UMass made 9 more threes than UD...tough to overcome that). Ends a 13 game winning streak. I blame the pajamas they wore and called uniforms.

Xavier got blasted at Temple, 78-59.

missionhockey21
01-17-2008, 02:29 AM
Oh the pain, the pain of it all.
*at the UD game*

BRM
01-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Congrats to Bob Knight on getting his 900th win.

reds2221
01-18-2008, 04:51 PM
congrats to him, that is definatly an amazing feat

Matt700wlw
01-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Go Bob! :D

Razor Shines
02-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Did anyone watch the Duke - Wake Forrest game? All five of Duke's starters fouled out, and they were at no point fouling intentionally. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen at any level of basketball.

GoReds33
02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Did anyone watch the Duke - Wake Forrest game? All five of Duke's starters fouled out, and they were at no point fouling intentionally. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen at any level of basketball.No. That's the weirdest thing I have ever heard... other than Clay Aiken.:)

Who won?

Razor Shines
02-17-2008, 10:30 PM
No. That's the weirdest thing I have ever heard... other than Clay Aiken.:)

Who won?

Wake 86-73.

15fan
02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Yep. And I loved every minute of it.

"and they were at no point fouling intentionally."

6 Duke fouls in the final 2 minutes while the Devils were trailing.

Part of Duke's problem was that DeMarcus Nelson couldn't make a foul shot to save his life.

Duke lives & dies by the 3. Tonight, it wasn't falling. They died.

The other thing to keep in mind is that K has 7 McDonald's All-Americans on his roster this year.

Wake, on the other hand, has 0.

guttle11
02-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Wake won.

The vast majority of those fouls were earned. Duke just couldn't handle Wake's quickness. Duke was exposed to me tonight. Any team with a good PG will shred them. Fields from Pitt did it, and now Teague from Wake. If Lawson is fully healthy when UNC plays Duke again, UNC wins by double figures. Paulus is just a liability trying to play against a good PG.

Noaln Smith looks like he's going to be a beast. If I were a Dookie, I'd be wanting less Paulus and Scheyer, and much more Smith.

GoReds33
02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Wake 86-73.I guess that would make sense. How was the foul situation for Wake?

Razor Shines
02-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Yep. And I loved every minute of it.

"and they were at no point fouling intentionally."

6 Duke fouls in the final 2 minutes while the Devils were trailing.

Part of Duke's problem was that DeMarcus Nelson couldn't make a foul shot to save his life.

Duke lives & dies by the 3. Tonight, it wasn't falling. They died.

The other thing to keep in mind is that K has 7 McDonald's All-Americans on his roster this year.

Wake, on the other hand, has 0.

Yeah I watched the game and they weren't even close to trying to foul. Paulus was the last one and he fouled out with a minute left and he was upset they called a foul.

Duke had a bad game all around, they weren't just missing 3's they were missing every thing they shot. The team shot 13-25 from the free throw line, that's pretty awful. Duke missed a lot of two pointers also. I don't think Wake should count on them to shoot that bad most games, especially on shots other than 3s.

Wake played very well, probably at about the top of their game.

I'm not sure what Duke having 7 All Americans has to do with it. I guess they should go undefeated because they have 7 All Americans?

Razor Shines
02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
I guess that would make sense. How was the foul situation for Wake?

They had one guy foul out. Wake had 20 fouls called on them Duke had 31. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that it was a badly officiated game (I didn't see most of the first half) but since Duke was playing shouldn't it have been called unfairly in Duke's favor?

WVRed
02-18-2008, 07:13 AM
In other news, OJ Mayo scored 4 points and had 10 turnovers in 40 minutes against UCLA yesterday. The Bruins won 56-46.

15fan
02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Duke just couldn't handle Wake's quickness. Duke was exposed to me tonight. Any team with a good PG will shred them. Fields from Pitt did it, and now Teague from Wake. If Lawson is fully healthy when UNC plays Duke again, UNC wins by double figures. Paulus is just a liability trying to play against a good PG.

Noaln Smith looks like he's going to be a beast. If I were a Dookie, I'd be wanting less Paulus and Scheyer, and much more Smith.

Yep, yep and yep.

In years past, Duke had someone in the middle who could keep opposing defenses somewhat honest by being a threat in the paint on both ends of the floor. Boozer & SheWill types.

Nothing close to that on the 2007-08 Blue Devils.

15fan
02-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah I watched the game and they weren't even close to trying to foul. Paulus was the last one and he fouled out with a minute left and he was upset they called a foul.

Of course Paulus was upset. Part of Duke basketball involves being incredulous any time a whistle doesn't favor the Blue Devils.

Here's a url to the final 7+ minutes of the game.

http://media.putfile.com/WakeDuke-Part-4

Duke (and UNC) always make more FTs than their opponents take. The argument is that because Duke (and UNC) is always ahead, the opponents have to foul down the stretch to lengthen the game.

So why wouldn't Duke be fouling down 6-10 points with under 2 minutes left to play?

In the above clip, there are at least 4 fouls that Duke had to commit because they were down and it was late in the game.

dabvu2498
02-18-2008, 01:30 PM
Joe Lunardi's "bracketology" is killing me.

Vandy is #11 RPI, #16 in the latest ESPN poll, but Lunardi has them as a 7 seed. Ugh.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

WMR
02-18-2008, 01:48 PM
"LOOK AT WHAT HE'S DOING TO WOJO!!!"

::as wojo does his best 'fish on the bank' impersonation::

Hoosier Red
02-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Did anyone watch the Duke - Wake Forrest game? All five of Duke's starters fouled out, and they were at no point fouling intentionally. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen at any level of basketball.

KARMIC JUSTICE FOR THE 1992 FINAL FOUR GAME.
I wasn't even an IU fan at the time and Teddy Valentine fouled me out of it.

Razor Shines
02-18-2008, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=15fan;1554169]Of course Paulus was upset. Part of Duke basketball involves being incredulous any time a whistle doesn't favor the Blue Devils.
You're right no other teams do that. Wasn't my point. My point was that he wasn't trying to foul.

Here's a url to the final 7+ minutes of the game.

http://media.putfile.com/WakeDuke-Part-4

Duke (and UNC) always make more FTs than their opponents take. The argument is that because Duke (and UNC) is always ahead, the opponents have to foul down the stretch to lengthen the game.
So? Most teams with really good records shoot more FTs than their opponents.

So why wouldn't Duke be fouling down 6-10 points with under 2 minutes left to play?

In the above clip, there are at least 4 fouls that Duke had to commit because they were down and it was late in the game.

I can't say why. They probably felt that they could get by with scoring quick and playing good D. None of the starters that fouled out fouled intentionally at any point, and I don't think anybody else on the team did either, because after Henderson fouled out Wake pretty much put the game out of reach.

Nelson: Fouled out with 3:15 left on a little hand check

Thomas: Fouled out with 1:44 left when he and Scheyer had the Wake guard trapped in the back court against the side line. There was some contact could have gone either way, but he certainly wasn't intentionally fouling.

Singler: Fouled out with 1:36 left with an offensive foul. He probably did that on purpose to stop the clock.

Henderson: Fouled out with 1:31 left. Again a bump when they had the Wake player trapped. I don't know why he would have fouled him on purpose after they had the Wake player stuck.

WMR
02-18-2008, 06:20 PM
How do you root for Indiana AND Dook?

Razor Shines
02-18-2008, 06:23 PM
How do you root for Indiana AND Duke?

I'm a huge fan of Coach K, because of some personal interaction with him.

WMR
02-18-2008, 06:29 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65554

He didn't teach you how to flop, did he?

Razor Shines
02-18-2008, 06:45 PM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65554

He didn't teach you how to flop, did he?

Yeah Duke is the first and only school to sell offensive fouls. I was taught that way in high school. And to answer the question no it didn't have any thing to do with basketball, I wish though.

BRM
02-19-2008, 10:46 AM
How do you root for Indiana AND Dook?

Coach K is a Knight disciple.

dabvu2498
02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Surpirsed that the Coach K-Coach Roy hasn't gotten at least a little play on here.

Even though it's about as stupid a "feud" as you could have.

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/502751.html

cumberlandreds
02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Surpirsed that the Coach K-Coach Roy hasn't gotten at least a little play on here.

Even though it's about as stupid a "feud" as you could have.

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/502751.html

I'm waiting for the cage match between these two. ;)

reds2221
02-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Roy williams would take down coach K in that

dabvu2498
02-27-2008, 08:59 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/52/524577.jpg
Yessssss

bucksfan2
02-27-2008, 09:16 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/52/524577.jpg
Yessssss

It was a good game but I had one complaint about the game. It was that the officials seemed more jacked up about the game than the players did. Its really a shame that these officials couldn't keep their emotions in check while officiating the game.

dabvu2498
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
It was a good game but I had one complaint about the game. It was that the officials seemed more jacked up about the game than the players did. Its really a shame that these officials couldn't keep their emotions in check while officiating the game.

53 fouls and 69 free throws too many for you? :D

BRM
02-27-2008, 10:08 AM

The officiating definitely left a lot to be desired. I thought it was pretty pathetic. Aside from that though, it was a very entertaining game.

WMR
02-27-2008, 10:10 AM
SEC officials have sucked this entire year and they continue to suck now.

dabvu2498
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM

Agreed. But it's not just the SEC.

BRM
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM

I'd have to agree with you. I haven't watched the SEC as much as you guys have but the ones I have watched have been dreadful as far as the officiating goes. The Big Ten is no better though.

bucksfan2
02-27-2008, 10:24 AM
53 fouls and 69 free throws too many for you? :D

The foul total is one thing but the way the calls are made is another. A ref should be unemotional and unbiased. When I see the refs making foul calls like they just hit a game winning jumper I don't like it. The best basketball refs will make the foul call, walk to the scoring table, and then walk to the necessary spot. Last nights refs when making a foul call got a running start when making a charge call. The ref who gave Pearl a T was more energetic than Peral was. The one ref made a charge call and damn near lost his ballance and fell over.

Boston Red
02-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Interesting year for the locals. Xavier looking at a #2 or #3 seed. Ditto Louisville. Cincinnati is looking at the NIT (which is fantastic considering where they were in December). They'll probably play Ohio State in the NIT unless the Buckeyes can get a big win or two late. Kentucky has charged into serious at-large consideration, although their atrocious non-conference performance means they have no margin for error down the stretch. Dayton has gone from 14-1 to being on the Bubble.....for the A-10 Tournament! Miami started strong but faded. IU is 23-4, but that's essentially been overshadowed by the Kelvin Sampson sideshow.

All in all, this is the craziest year I can ever remember for the college basketball programs in the region.

Chip R
02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Cincinnati is looking at the NIT (which is fantastic considering where they were in December). They'll probably play Ohio State in the NIT unless the Buckeyes can get a big win or two late.

tOSU will probably reject a NIT bid if they have to play UC. ;)

reds2221
03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
UNC just beat duke by 8 and Xavier blew out richmond....its a great night :D

Razor Shines
03-09-2008, 09:45 AM
ESPN announced their #1 college player of all time tonight. And number one was fine. Lew Alcindor was probably the greatest college player. The thing I don't understand is how Pete Maravich dropped to #5? He averaged 44 pts a game throughout college, he's the all time NCAA scoring leader. And he was a wizard with the basketball in his hands. He should be in the top 3 IMO.

WMR
03-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Just look at the conference he played in. Voila.

improbus
03-09-2008, 12:52 PM
For all of you who love March Madness, upsets, and rooting for the underdog, you may want to pay some attention to the English FA Cup. I will try to equate what has happened this year with familiar March cliches. Barnsley (a "#12 seed" from a mid-major) is now in the Final Four and they did it by beating Chelsea and Liverpool (two "#1" seeds). Also, the other two "#1" seeds are out (Arsenal and Manchester United). All that remains in the Final Four are Portsmouth (a "#3 seed), Barnsley ("#12"), Cardiff (another "#12), and the winner of the West Brom (a "#12 seed") and Bristol (a "#14"). That is three double digit seeds. This is completely out of control.
The semi-finals will be played on April 5th. Stay Tuned.

Finally, about the tournament itself, I think this is as wide open a season as I can remember. There are at least 10 teams that can make the final game, let alone the Final Four. Here's hoping that it is not Louisville.

Chip R
03-09-2008, 03:03 PM
Drake is looking good today against Illinois St.

reds2221
03-09-2008, 03:59 PM
when I turned that game off they were up by 24 and still kicking butt.

joshnky
03-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Food for thought when considering your tourney picks:

Most wins vs. RPI top 50
1. Tennessee (11)
2. Texas (10)
3. Louisville (9)
UCLA (9)
North Carolina (9)
6. Memphis (8)

Most wins vs. RPI top 100
1. North Carolina (19)