PDA

View Full Version : Will you do any shopping on the Day After Thansgiving?

AmarilloRed
11-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Nov.24, the day after Thanksgiving is said to be the busiest shopping day of the year. I work at my local Wal-Mart on the front-end, so I will be unlikely to do any shopping on that day. My question is how many of you will go to a local retail store on that day, and do your shopping then. My store opens at 5 A.M and a lot of the best product will be off the shelves by 10 A.M, which can tell you how crazy people can get in the holiday season. I will now make this into a poll, and you can let us know how you feel on this subject.

SteelSD
11-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Heck yes. I take that day off every year to find bargains. Your employer (Wal-Mart) is holding their Black Friday circular close to the vest, but here's a great site for those looking for bargains:

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/

I don't have a Toys-R-Us within a 20-minute range so I won't be going there, but their lead "doorbuster" is a 30 GB Microsoft Zune (brown) for $79.99. No idea how many they'll have at each store, but that's a huge bargain (regularly $199.99). If you have kids who are looking for decent hard drive space to save MP3 or video files, the Zune is a must-buy at that price even if it hasn't had good reviews versus the Ipod.

Best Buy has good deals on pretty much everything, but their HDTV bargains appear to be limited to either non-LCD/plasma offerings at 1080p or low-end units at that resolution. The Westinghouse 47" 1080p HDTV for $1299 is a solid offering for folks who aren't looking for large high-end LCD HDTV's, but that price point can be matched online. From my research, Westy's have issues with both black level and over-saturated greens. Buyer beware, because this is a set that projects to see even lower price points over the next quarter.

The remainder of what I've seen from the Best Buy circular are 720p units at just decent prices. BB's computer offerings are also just ok. The "doorbusters" are at a minimum here- excluding insane values on single DVD's and DVD TV seasons, which is strange for Best Buy. Normally, they have incredible deals for which folks have to stand in line. I do like the $119.99 deal on the TomTom One LE GPS Navigation System. I won't buy one, but that's a good deal for folks needing a GPS nav option. And Best Buy does have the XBox 360 premium system with a free Guitar Hero II game and guitar for $349.99. That's a good price and I'd expect that the folks in front of me in line next Friday will gobble up the purchase tickets for that.

On to Sears, they have a pretty good deal for anyone who still just needs a normal DVD player (Coby super-slim DVD player for $9.99). They have a bunch of Craftsman stuff on sale (nothing huge). For HD enthusiasts, the best deal Sears may have as a "doorbuster" is the Toshiba A-3 HD DVD player. That includes two free HD DVD movies in-box and offers another five via mail-in. The Toshiba 42" 1080p LCD TV (42HL167) is an enticement at $1,249.99. For a 1080p LCD unit, that's the best bargain in class I've seen from a brick-and-mortar retailer this holiday season. I've seen nothing but good reviews for that Toshiba set. If you're looking for a decent-sized 1080p set for a good price then shift your gameplan and stand outside your local Sears prior to 5:00 AM rather than your local Best Buy.

Razor Shines
11-16-2007, 12:56 AM
I actually like being in stores during the Christmas shopping season. It's the only time I will go shopping with my wife. I'm a pretty laid back person so crowds and lines don't bother me that much. I guess it's all in the attitude you take into it. I go expecting to have a good time no matter what happens.

KronoRed
11-16-2007, 01:16 AM
I'll be in Hendersonville, considering the mall there looks like it fell out of the 1980's I doubt they will have much going on

Super_Barry11
11-16-2007, 01:52 AM
I couldn't get a plane ticket back to Ohio for Thanksgiving, so I'm stuck out here by myself. :( But on the bright side, that gives me plenty of time on Thanksgiving to watch football and rest up for some serious SHOPPING on Friday. :D

RedsBaron
11-16-2007, 07:02 AM
No, unless I do it on the internet.

nate
11-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Amazon will supposedly have 1000 $79 Wii consoles. That's a pretty smokin' deal on a rare machine.

MrCinatit
11-16-2007, 08:03 AM
I feel for you, Amarillo - I worked the sales floor for several years on black Friday, and it was brutal. Being on cash register was simply chaotic - though time did go by very quickly.

No, I will not be shopping that day.

Highlifeman21
11-16-2007, 08:43 AM
You just gotta.

The sales can be too good to be true.

Danny Serafini
11-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Dear God no. I don't like shopping to start with, and I hate getting up at 5am, so I'm certainly not going to combine the two. I'm not even leaving the house until nighttime so I don't have to deal with the traffic snarl. I can usually get away with waiting until around December 15 to start shopping anyway, I don't have that much to buy.

RichRed
11-16-2007, 09:53 AM
Not a chance.

westofyou
11-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I'd rather run naked through the streets wearing nothing but a pair of lime green crocs then participate in whole day of consumerism for the sake of consumerism.

GIK
11-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Doubt it. Online only, if so.

15fan
11-16-2007, 10:47 AM
No.

I have a 4 year old at home.

I don't need to seek out additional chaos.

Unassisted
11-16-2007, 10:52 AM
I have no love for long checkout lines or parking half a mile from the door of a store, so I'll be staying home on Black Friday.

When we lived in Wisconsin, my family had a tradition of making an after-dinner trek to the ShopKO store on Thanksgiving Day. It was the only major retailer open on the holiday and it was always very uncrowded.

HotCorner
11-16-2007, 11:08 AM
but here's a great site for those looking for bargains:

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/

Yes this is a great site! I bought the CARS Dinoco 400 8-pack for our oldest (almost 5) today at Target knowing that it will be on sale next Friday for $19. I'll just bring in the receipt to get the difference refunded. We're considering the Lego Airport as well since it will be on sale for $45. It's "normal" price is $80!

AmarilloRed
11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
I only work 9 am to 4 pm that day, so the worst will probably be over about the time I get there. I may consider doing some shopping after my shift. For the record, I have never operated a cash register. I am one of the greeters at the door, and we do a combination of both customer service and security work.

KronoRed
11-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Amazon will supposedly have 1000 $79 Wii consoles. That's a pretty smokin' deal on a rare machine.

....no..I must resist..must..must ;)

IslandRed
11-16-2007, 01:06 PM
I'll be in Hendersonville, considering the mall there looks like it fell out of the 1980's I doubt they will have much going on

Hendersonville which state?

As for me, I might. I'll be visiting in-laws then, they live fairly close to good shopping zones, I'm conditioned to getting up early to get kids ready for school, and I have kids to shop for. But it depends on if there are any good deals I can't get online yet don't require an all-night campout (e.g. Best Buy) to have any shot at a limited-quantity item.

KronoRed
11-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Hendersonville which state?

As for me, I might. I'll be visiting in-laws then, they live fairly close to good shopping zones, I'm conditioned to getting up early to get kids ready for school, and I have kids to shop for. But it depends on if there are any good deals I can't get online yet don't require an all-night campout (e.g. Best Buy) to have any shot at a limited-quantity item.

North Carolina.

Pretty town.

IslandRed
11-16-2007, 04:01 PM
North Carolina.

Pretty town.

Sure is. I've been through there. I live across the lake from Hendersonville, Tennessee, which is why I was asking.

FIRELEFT
11-16-2007, 04:07 PM
No!!!!!!! not this hell or any other.

GAC
11-16-2007, 06:37 PM
No, unless I do it on the internet.

There you go! :thumbup:

No way, on God's green earth I'm going anywhere near any of them stores. My Christmas shopping is nearly done.

Now my wife and sister-in-law are going out. They get up around 4 AM, put on their fatiques, various other battle garb, and war paint, and then head into the mouth of the beast.

My wife goes, but buys very little because a majority of the deals are not on stuff my kids want. She just goes to keep my sister-in-law company, and because....... IT'S GENETIC!

Men have no business being out on this day.

Guys! You're out of your league. Stay home, watch football, eat leftovers.

Better to consume then be consumed. :D

Caseyfan21
11-16-2007, 06:46 PM
I might venture out to Best Buy but I doubt I'll get up that early. Shoot, I'll probably go to bed around 2 AM or so with that being a day off from school, so I'd be better off just going to Best Buy before I go to bed. I went out to Best Buy last year later in the day and picked up a few DVD's for $5 each.

I already finished all my X-mas shopping for my family anyways. One of the campus book stores runs a sale every Monday. For every touchdown OSU scores the previous Saturday, you get 5% off. Usually you'll get one incredible discount during the season and this year I went the Monday after the Kent State game. The 8 TD's got me 40% off so I did all the Christmas shopping. That sure beats getting up at 4 am to go fight a crowd at the mall.

redhawkfish
11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
There you go! :thumbup:

Men have no business being out on this day.

Guys! You're out of your league. Stay home, watch football, eat leftovers.

Better to consume then be consumed. :D

Hey GAC!

What about us men who spend one hour at Bass Pro Shops that morning?:D

IslandRed
11-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey GAC!

Exactly. Just call it "hunting and gathering" instead of "shopping," and we're good to go, right?

redsfan1966
11-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Until a few years ago I was in the "Hell No" category--then I made the trek to Sears to get $29 DVD players when they were still in the $60 range--ever since my wife and I go out and become part of the big consumer machine. The only thing is I never end up buying anything on that day for Christmas--I usually end up buying things for myself.

RBA
11-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Amazon had some deals last year. But as soon as the deal appeared and you clicked on it, it was out of stock by the time you submitted you're order. Just something to think about for those planning on a $79 WII.

Razor Shines
11-16-2007, 10:40 PM
I'd rather run naked through the streets wearing nothing but a pair of lime green crocs then participate in whole day of consumerism for the sake of consumerism.

It's not just for the sake of consumerism. It provides jobs and nice bonuses for people like my wife. So don't go for the sake of consumerism, go for the sake of your local retail managers. ;)

GAC
11-17-2007, 04:53 AM
Hey GAC!

You're still around a bunch of large mouths! The only difference is that one of them looks better with a hook in their mouths. :p:

GAC
11-17-2007, 04:54 AM
It's not just for the sake of consumerism. It provides jobs and nice bonuses for people like my wife. So don't go for the sake of consumerism, go for the sake of your local retail managers. ;)

Don't they also get combat pay for that one day?

westofyou
11-17-2007, 09:54 AM

One of my good friends used to manage a Ross... I feel your wifes pain. Wish her luck for me... I'll be thinking of her when I watch the King if the Hill marathon or the numerous sporting events I don't really care about.

Razor Shines
11-17-2007, 12:25 PM
One of my good friends used to manage a Ross... I feel your wifes pain. Wish her luck for me... I'll be thinking of her when I watch the King if the Hill marathon or the numerous sporting events I don't really care about.

I guess she's just different than most people. She's actually excited about "black Friday", she hopes to see people pouring into her store.

TeamCasey
11-17-2007, 12:55 PM
I'd rather stick a fork in my eye.

KittyDuran
11-23-2007, 10:25 AM
BUMP...

Any tales to tell?... I'll start with my day so far.

First, I want a laptop! Nothing fancy, just basic. So armed with that determination, I laid out my strategy to get in on the bargins at either Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, or Wal-mart. Got into the car at 5:15am and headed to the nearest Best Buy (about 8 miles away). Now I should've turned around when I came upon the Target store in the same shopping area (Bridgewater Falls)- which had not opened - with it's line snaked around the parking lot. But I did get a great parking space at Best Buy. The time was now 5:35am. Went in but the guy at the door was busy talking with others so I made my way to the back (past lines, and lines of people). Of course, with all the partitions it was hard to move around - but I found an associate who gave me the bad news... all the cheap laptops were gone. As I made my way out I heard a young college kid state that he got in line at 6pm last night! HELP!!!

So onto Circuit City in Tri-County - another great parking space - but the situation was the same. But I crossed Kemper and went into Sears for some cheap suitcases on sale for our company gift exchange. :thumbup:

Getting back into the car I had a great idea - what about ordering a laptop online??? So I drove to my work, fired up the computer and started looking. Found a cheap Toshiba on Circuit City's website but you could only order by calling a toll free number. No problem, except that the toll free number was bad or was overloaded. Staples online was a little more deceiving... picked a laptop but when I went to checkout was informed that the item was no longer in stock. Hmmm... Tried Wal-mart, Office Depot, Sam's Club, and Office Max but was sort of bummed for the quality vs price that I would be getting. I had budgeted $600 for a cheap laptop.

So right now I'm eating take out Bob Evans and pondering about going onto Dell's outlet site to see what I can get. The laptop and Reds season tickets (20 game) are my Xmas presents - but I still have some more shopping to do today.

Our family (adults) draws names with a $25 limit to a gift, and everyone buys $25 limit as well for the kids. I got my nephew Tracey who wants Cure and Smashing Pumpkins CDs, and blue and white towels for his house. My little niece will be getting money and my other nephew is getting either money or a gift certificate from Flamingos (?) in Dayton Mall.

So how about anyone else???

westofyou
11-23-2007, 10:35 AM
all the cheap laptops were gone.

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/64511/180px-Gribble_qjpreviewth.jpg

Bait and Switch, Bait and Switch!!

WMR
11-23-2007, 10:38 AM
My mom, grandma, and sister left around 5:00 this morning... my mom asked me for a list of what I wanted for X-mas... I had that laid out for her... got up long enough to eat some scrambled eggs that she prepared for me, bid them good luck, and went back to sleep. :D

Reds4Life
11-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't get in that mess for anything, I'm doing my shopping online this year. I'd much rather pay the shipping charges than deal with the crowds.

WMR
11-23-2007, 10:39 AM
So I'm shopping by proxy.

KronoRed
11-23-2007, 10:41 AM
So I'm shopping by proxy.

Hmm..hire professionals to shop for you.

I see profit :cool:

11-23-2007, 10:41 AM
We decided to get our kids a Nintendo Wii. My wife and her sister went shopping about 5:00 AM. I called her and she hasn't found one anywhere- I guess we will cross our fingers and keep trying. I have weekday days off and maybe I'll try in a few days. No way I am going out today.

WMR
11-23-2007, 10:44 AM
We decided to get our kids a Nintendo Wii. My wife and her sister went shopping about 5:00 AM. I called her and she hasn't found one anywhere- I guess we will cross our fingers and keep trying. I have weekday days off and maybe I'll try in a few days. No way I am going out today.

I didn't realize they were notoriously difficult to procure yet again this year...

TeamCasey
11-23-2007, 11:18 AM
I went to my local drugstore ...... to buy jar candles at 3 for 1.

They're for me. I love candles all winter.

Now I'm at home drinking warm coffee and watching movies. :)

TeamCasey
11-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I might do some online shopping today. Has anyone come across any great deals in cyberspace?

pedro
11-23-2007, 11:27 AM
hell no.

KittyDuran
11-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Pedro's right, TC - I haven't really seen any...

BTW, has anyone ever used or have a Dell Vostro notebook? PM me with some details... Thanks!

KittyDuran
11-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I asked for some Elvis movies DVDs as part of the family exchange. Best Buy had some with new packaging including 5 "lobby cards". Purchased "Tickle Me" a few days ago and have "Clambake" on DVD - the other movies are in VHS or I tape onto blank tapes.

marcshoe
11-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been mentioned, but you know, it's a myth that this is the biggest shopping day of the year--There are a couple of weekend days closer to Christmas that are typically bigger. This year, December 22 is actually expected to be the busiest day, at least according to the people on the news.

Me, I'm headed out the door now. You guys are un-American! :p::p::usa:

GAC
11-23-2007, 12:42 PM
I went out yesterday and bought the Columbus Dispatch for the flyers. We went through them all and didn't see anything that really caught our eye. But we're getting ready to leave and head over just to get out of the house since all the sales ended at 11 AM. Thought I'd take the wife and kids out to eat.

But I have done most of my shopping via the 'net. Did 3/4 of it over the last couple of days. Found great deals and got free shipping. You just can't beat that.

Caseyfan21
11-23-2007, 03:10 PM

They were available for $250 on amazon.com this morning at 3 am when they started their Black Friday sales. I didn't really realize that it was so hard to get or else I would have picked a couple up and made a few bucks on Ebay. I didn't really stay up for it, I was just up late and cruising around looking for deals online and came across it.

Super_Barry11
11-23-2007, 04:59 PM
I spent over an hour in line at Charlotte Russe and battled ridiculous crowds at the mall, but I got some nice clothes at good prices. (And it's all mine!!) :thumbup:

SteelSD
11-23-2007, 10:41 PM
They were available for $250 on amazon.com this morning at 3 am when they started their Black Friday sales. I didn't really realize that it was so hard to get or else I would have picked a couple up and made a few bucks on Ebay. I didn't really stay up for it, I was just up late and cruising around looking for deals online and came across it.

I literally walk into Nintendo Wii units as if they were the most over-stocked electronics item on the face of the planet. This morning, I walked into a fully-stocked Software Etc. store at 6:00 AM and picked one up for my aunt after waiting outside the store for about five minutes. I didn't even go there for the Wii. I was just bored and wanted to check out their Buy-two/Get-one free used game sale. It's the fourth unit I've purchased for someone else over the past couple of months and I have standing "buy" orders from two co-workers.

Dunno' why I keep finding them so easily. Maybe it's because I don't want one?;)

GAC
11-24-2007, 05:45 AM

We went to several stores yesterday and noticed signs on the doors.... "Wii are out of Wiis" :lol:

I found my son one last year using craigslist. Got it about two days before Christmas. I had to drive over to Dublin and meet the guy, which is about a half hour drive. I felt like I was making a drug transaction meeting the guy in a parking lot. He was asking $300; but I told him that I was also waiting on a phone call from a guy who also lived over here and was selling his for $275. He let me have it for that.

We spent about 3 hours at the Polaris mall yesterday just browsing around. We mainly went because we had heard so much about this mall and one needed to check it out. So we did. With it's Macy's, Saks Fifth Ave, and zillion other stores, itwas just as we expected.... one ritzy, high-priced mall where they mark everything up 100% and then stick a 75% off tag on it.

On the way home we stopped at K Marts. :lol: