PDA

View Full Version : ESPN, I am begging you, Please PLEASE PLEASE! get Lou Holtz off the air

WMR
11-17-2007, 10:34 PM
The man's speech impediment has gotten so bad, he is literally slurring entire sentences. It's unlistenable.

MWM
11-17-2007, 10:37 PM
The speech impediment doesn't bother me. It's his completely incoherent rambling that makes me turn the station. He just doesn't make any sense.

WMR
11-17-2007, 10:38 PM
The speech impediment doesn't bother me. It's his completely incoherent rambling that makes me turn the station. He just doesn't make any sense.

Well, that too. :laugh:

OnBaseMachine
11-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Holtz is awful on air. I love Mark May, he constantly punks Holtz on air for saying stupid stuff. Like today, Holtz was gushing over how well Notre Dame played when May blurtched out, "Coach, it's DUKE!".

WMR
11-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Holtz is awful on air. I love Mark May, he constantly punks Holtz on air for saying stupid stuff. Like today, Holtz was gushing over how well Notre Dame played when May blurtched out, "Coach, it's DUKE!".

:lol:

lo ryder
11-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Yes May is a genius..........picks Um over the Buckeyes, homered them all year.

Chip R
11-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Yes May is a genius..........picks Um over the Buckeyes, homered them all year.

May must have hated to pick one Big 10 team over another.

MWM
11-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah, May makes no attempt to hide his dislike for all things Big Ten.

Gainesville Red
11-18-2007, 01:16 AM
I haven't been able to decide who May's bias is for. Seems to me he just hates everyone.

I don't mind Holtz being on the air. It's like someone's crazy great-uncle escaped a hospital and wandered into a live sports show. He's comedy gold. You'll notice his voice get's worse as the night goes on.

What other 106-year-old man is working live T.V. at 2 A.M.

Chip R
11-18-2007, 01:20 AM
I don't think Lou's ever been the same since he got in that fight with that giant jack rabbit. ;)

Jack Burton
11-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I agree, get him off the air. Shouldn't you have an unbiased opinion on ESPN?

Chip R
11-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Shouldn't you have an unbiased opinion on ESPN?

Good one. :lol:

SunDeck
11-18-2007, 02:47 PM
I hadn't seen him in probably five years until a couple weeks ago and I have to say he is starting to seem a little bit like a crazy, old guy. He's that guy you end up sitting next to in the barber shop, the one who rants about all those terrible kids and who seems perpetually surprised by how awful things are in the modern world.

15fan
11-18-2007, 02:58 PM
ESPN has been awful for over a decade.

At some point in the mid 90s, they decided that their job was to create the entertainment, rather than just broadcast games and show highlights / stats.

Since then, I've cringed every time I've flipped to one of their stations.

KronoRed
11-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I like Lou, he's entertaining, the rest of the college football bunch spend too much telling you how dumb you are for disagreeing with them

Blimpie
11-18-2007, 03:22 PM
There should be a rule that any man who chooses to discuss football on open airwaves cannot come from The Shire.

GAC
11-18-2007, 09:57 PM

Amen to that! Listening to him reminds me of Luthor....

http://www.eiu.edu/~alumni/img/awards2006/jerryvandyke.jpg

redsfan1966
11-18-2007, 10:40 PM
I wish ESPN would bring back Beano Cook...that was comedy gold...

Chip R
11-18-2007, 10:54 PM
I wish ESPN would bring back Beano Cook...that was comedy gold...

Absolutely.

MaineRed
11-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Beano still makes appearances on ESPNEWS. Weekly I think. This is from thebiglead.com:

No need to hold back: Beano Cook is a national treasure. He had our hearts at, “Ron Powlus will win two or three Heisman trophies at Notre Dame.” We have been enjoying his ESPN videos, but his chat last week took us over the edge. Below, we will present you with many of his unintentionally funny answers. You don’t even need to know the questions to fully embrace his humor. Our list of favorite ESPN “personalities” begins and ends with Cook. Brace yourself for his candor. Just a taste, here’s Beano on the Virginia Tech QB situation last weekend: “I would be lying to you if I told you I knew who should start. I have no idea.” This is something Mark May would never say, because Mark May knows all.

On Charlie Weis:: I think Weis must change his temperment. I think he’s a little bit cocky.

On the Heisman: It’s like, presidents don’t come from Montana. They come from big states, in most cases.

On Politics: But there’s a chance that UConn can go to a BCS bowl. That’s amazing. You have something to be happy about instead of complaining about the high taxes in your state. What the politicians do to you in your state is highway robbery.

On Kansas: Until this season, the only two things people talked about with Kansas was basketball and Dorothy and the dog, whose name escapes me right now.

On Politics, Again: I’ve never seen a Georgia-Auburn game. You could say life has cheated me. The politicians do it on a daily basis, however.

On technology: I don’t have an e-mail address and that’s one of the smartest thigns I’ve ever done. I got rid of my rotary phone a few years ago. That’s the only progress I’ve made in recent years.

On partying: I love what they used to call the World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. It’s like an airplane, it used to be the cockpit, now it’s the flight deck.

On opinions: It’s just my opinion. It doesn’t mean I’m right. Ever since I thought Jim Brown would be an average back in the NFL, I don’t take my opinions seriously.

On alternative work: However, when coaches are making all that money, it’s tough to sympathize. If it’s too much, work at Burger King.

On pop culture: If Oregon plays for the national title, I understand John Belushi will be there. I heard it straight from a friend of his in the Animal House.

On the song girls: It’s unfair that the USC Song Girls only appear at USC games. They are a national treasure. They should visit other teams across the country.