PDA

View Full Version : Could they really snub the Bearcats like this/UC headed to Papajohns.com Bowl Fallout

GoReds33
11-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Sports Illustrated released it's bowl projections. The biggest snub I found was the Bearcats. They have the Cats projected to go to the Papajohns.com bowl. By comparison, that bowl is the least paying of the major non-BCS bowls. It pays $300,000, while the Sun Bowl pays $1.9 million. Even the International bowl, where they played last year, pays $750,000. I really hope they don't end up in the Papajohns.com bowl.

Here's the link to the preview:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/19/bowl.projections/index.html?eref=T1

BuckeyeRed27
11-20-2007, 04:52 PM
West Virginia, UConn and USF will probably be picked ahead of UC based on how they finish. Big East doesn't have the best bowl tie in's.

Gotta beat Pitt and Louisville.

Cyclone792
11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
West Virginia, UConn and USF will probably be picked ahead of UC based on how they finish. Big East doesn't have the best bowl tie in's.

Gotta beat Pitt and Louisville.

UC is likely going to finish 3rd in the Big East, including ahead of South Florida. They'll likely beat Syracuse to finish the season at 4-3 in the Big East, and UC has the tiebreaker over every other 3-loss Big East team except for Pittsburgh (who is going to pick up loss #4 to West Virginia in two weeks).

So long as UC beats Syracuse this week, they should be fine with getting a decent bowl game. I'd love to see them face a Big Ten team, but there's pretty much zero shot of that happening.

Danny Serafini
11-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Conference tiebreakers are meaningless when it comes to bowl selection. Teams aren't assigned to bowls in the order of conference finish, the bowls line up in order and pick whomever they want. Louisville could finish 6-6 and Cincinnati 9-3, but if the the bowl with the third pick wants Louisville then Louisville goes. It's as much about who will sell tickets as it is how good the team is.

Looking at the Big East tie-ins, I would guess the Gator Bowl takes S. Florida, that would be an easy sell. The Meineke Bowl would likely take Connecticut (I'm assuming W. Virginia beats them and wins the conference). After that it's a crap shoot, but they're all blah games anyway.

WMR
11-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Damn, I would love for UK to get Michigan at the Outback Bowl.

What a feather in the cap that would be to beat Michigan.

Cyclone792
11-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Conference tiebreakers are meaningless when it comes to bowl selection. Teams aren't assigned to bowls in the order of conference finish, the bowls line up in order and pick whomever they want. Louisville could finish 6-6 and Cincinnati 9-3, but if the the bowl with the third pick wants Louisville then Louisville goes. It's as much about who will sell tickets as it is how good the team is.

Looking at the Big East tie-ins, I would guess the Gator Bowl takes S. Florida, that would be an easy sell. The Meineke Bowl would likely take Connecticut (I'm assuming W. Virginia beats them and wins the conference). After that it's a crap shoot, but they're all blah games anyway.

I didn't know this; I thought they'd actually take teams by finish in their conference. Knowing this, I do believe it's very probable for UC to get snubbed now, because I'm not sure how big of a draw they'll be.

LawFive
11-20-2007, 10:19 PM
The bowls do get to pick who they want, with the exception that they must take a winning team before a 6-6 team. So, the Cats will not get passed over by Lville if the Cards end up at .500.

Redlegs23
11-21-2007, 11:53 AM
My guess is the Cats go to the Car Care bowl and play Wake Forest. Then the Mauk vs. his former team story will be played.

Puffy
11-21-2007, 12:14 PM
I snubbed a cat once.

Oof - not all its cracked up to be.

SeeinRed
11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Per Josh Katzowitz

Bowling for bowls

Earlier this week, I talked to John Folmer, the chairman of the Sun Bowl selection committee, and Frank Kay, the media director of the Meineke Car Care Bowl, about UC's chances of going to either of those bowls. I got the answers I pretty much expected.

The Sun Bowl seems pretty interested in UC - I asked Folmer if it'd be fair to say that UC has a pretty good chance of going to the Sun Bowl, and he said that was accurate - and the Meineke will have to decide between (possibly) UC, UConn, South Florida and Rutgers. This, of course, assumes UC beats Syracuse on Saturday.

Anyway, I wrote about it for Wednesday's Post, so check it out.

I've said previously I thought UC would end up in El Paso on Dec. 31, but there's certainly a chance UC plays in the Dec. 22 PapaJohns.com bowl in Birmingham - I've been told by multiple people that UC absolutely will not return to the International Bowl, and for some reason, I don't think UC will go to Charlotte (that last guess, though, is just that - a guess).

If, say, UC does fall all the way to Birmingham, the athletic department still will make a big push to get as many fans as possible to attend that game and will offer travel packages through its Web site immediately after the announcement is made. In fact, BK has penned a letter that will be sent out next week, saying exactly that.

An excerpt from the letter:

The bottom line with postseason bowls is that you as a fan can play a big part in where our team goes. Unlike the NCAA Basketball Tournament, football bowl selections are not based entirely on the on-field merits of the team. Bowls are businesses and want to bring teams to their events that will bring a large number of fans. We have done a great job this year in selling our Nippert Stadium and creating a great college football atmosphere. The next step in our evolution as a BCS contender is to take that same Bearcat Game Day Magic on the road wherever our 13th game is played.

One problem this year for UC might be the fact its fans didn't travel well to the International or Fort Worth Bowls. That could come back to haunt the football team this season.

But, how pissed would you be if UC falls to the Papa Johns Bowl, and would you still make the effort to go to Birmingham (which, of course, means a trip/trips to Dreamland)?

GoReds33
11-21-2007, 01:27 PM
SeeinRed, I wouldn't waste my time with the papajohns.com bowl. That would be the worst thing in the world. After all they have done this year, they deserve better. I may however go to the Sun Bowl, or Car Care Bowl.

SeeinRed
11-21-2007, 01:32 PM
I would love to go to any bowl game and support the Cats, but the Papajohns.com Bowl would be a slap in the face to many fans. They win out, and I think they don't have to worry about it. they lose, then its something they have to think about. Its nice to hear that the Sun Bowl has intrest in UC.

GoReds33
11-21-2007, 05:12 PM
They have already sold something like 5,000 tickets, so it should be easier to get a better bowl game. I think that if they get a bowl like the Sun Bowl, they will sell possibly up to 10,000 tickets.

Cyclone792
11-25-2007, 01:15 AM
It wasn't pretty, but UC did its job tonight by beating Syracuse. They came into tonight's game 24th in the BCS, and they'll probably move up a few slots after this weekend. While a BCS bowl is out of the question, West Virginia could have done UC a huge favor by absolutely beating the tar out of Connecticut today.

Cincy Post beat writer Josh Katzowitz now thinks the Car Care Bowl in Charlotte on December 29th may be the frontrunner. For me personally, this bowl would be the one I'd have the best shot at attending. I'm not sure what sort of travel packages UC could put together for fans, but flying to El Paso for the Sun Bowl could be pricey. Unfortunately, the Papajohns.com Bowl just isn't worth the time.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/cincybearcats/

UC-Syracuse postgame

SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Even though Bart wants the definitive bowl info, that's not possible to know right now. But I will tell you this (and keep in mind, these theories are liable to change day to day and minute to minute): from the people I talked to tonight, it looks like UC might/could/should/will go to the Meineke Car Care Bowl game in Charlotte. This would make UC officials happy. A game that's within driving distance for fans, a matchup against an ACC school, a middle-tier bowl game. I don't think too many fans would be disappointed with a trip like that.

Word around here was that USF probably will go to the Sun Bowl (bigger market for the Bulls, better TV ratings, good end to the season, beating West Virginia and Auburn). If UConn wouldn't have soiled itself today, the Huskies might have gone to the Car Care Bowl, leaving the illustrious PapaJohns.com bowl for the Bearcats. Which would be absolutely brutal. But it's going to be hard for Charlotte to take UConn over UC at this point - hell, it's nearly impossible, I venture to guess.

I'm on full alert for my people to contact me as soon as UC accepts a bowl. I have a flight that leaves at 6 a.m., I'm not going to bed before then, and there's free wireless at the Syracuse airport. If I hear something tonight, I'll let you know.

Lots o' history being made here tonight. Mauk breaks the UC single-season TD record, UC's 441 points this season breaks the school mark (409 in 2002), first nine-win season since 1953 (the year Bill Koch was born), first time it'll be ranked in the last regular-season top-25 poll.

You know what struck me, though. UC didn't seem ecstatic about it. Yeah, the Bearcats were looser than normal (Mauk came to his post-game presser with his football pants, undershirt and no shoes), and BK carefully fixed his hair for one TV camera that was present, but overall, this didn't seem like an excited bunch. I'm not sure why. Maybe, the Bearcats are drained.

I had a conversation with Angelo Craig about what bowl he wanted to attend.

Me: With a BCS bowl out of the question ..."

Him: “Why do you say that?"

Me: "OK, with a BCS Bowl probably out of the question ..."

Him: “Why do you say that?"

Me: OK, assuming a BCS bowl out of the question, what bowl game do you want to go to?"

Him: “I just leave that to the bowl people and the administration."

Hell, the things I have to go through.

OK, go to sleep now. I wish I could.

BearcatShane
11-25-2007, 01:54 AM
It's looking like UC vs. either Wake Forest or Florida State in the Car Care Bowl. Thats a decent matchup.

LawFive
11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Josh's blog now speculating that it's possibly the Car Care, but more likely Papajohns.

Caveat Emperor
11-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Josh's blog now speculating that it's possibly the Car Care, but more likely Papajohns.

I feel bad for UC fans -- this was a big, program-altering type season, and a third/fourth-tier bowl game in Birmingham is a poor way to end things off.

You'd think there would be a better fate for a Top-25 team.

MaineRed
11-26-2007, 12:19 AM
Well they are 23rd in the BCS. Just based on ranking you are looking at being able to make 11 better bowl match-ups just with teams ahead of Cincy and that doesn't include big boys like Michigan, Penn State and others.

Truth be told the Bearcats should be 11-1 with the one loss being to a team headed to the title game. How did they lose to Pitt and Lousiville, two sub .500 teams?

paintmered
11-26-2007, 06:43 AM

Who wouldn't want to play SMU in Birmingham? :rolleyes:

The bowl tie-ins for the Big East are completely horrendous.

NorrisHopper30
11-26-2007, 09:43 AM
I don't see how we will miss the Car Care bowl, the match up between Mauk and his former team WF is extremely marketable.

The Sun Bowl will most likely announce something today, it's between USF and UC. Rumor is they want to invite Oregon State, but they stated they wouldn't want to have a UC v Oregon State rematch.

15fan
11-26-2007, 09:49 AM
My guess is the Cats go to the Car Care bowl and play Wake Forest. Then the Mauk vs. his former team story will be played.

No one with ties to Wake wants that scenario to play out. Ben was a big part of the WFU program for 4 years. When he moved on to UC, most folks wished him well. For him to have to play his final football game against a bunch of guys with whom he was teammates for 4 years seems like a cruel twist of fate.

GoReds33
11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
There is a way you can help the bowl effort. If you vote it doesn't count toward anything, but it could make a statement to the committee.

http://sunbowl.org/

vote early and often!!!

Matt700wlw
11-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Papa John's comes up again...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/26/bowl.projections.1126/index.html

That would be a real bummer.

Cyclone792
11-26-2007, 03:18 PM
There is a way you can help the bowl effort. If you vote it doesn't count toward anything, but it could make a statement to the committee.

http://sunbowl.org/

vote early and often!!!

Well I hope the Sun Bowl Committee doesn't allow the results of that poll to sway them, because 91 percent favor South Florida. UC has pretty much the rest of the small vote with Connecticut currently having less than one percent. At this point I think there's too many roadblocks for UC to land in the Sun Bowl (with the Oregon State issue still present), and I'd have to think that South Florida has it locked up. The bowl would be pretty prestigous for UC fans, but I just don't see it happening.

Additionally, the concerns about UC fans traveling to El Paso are probably valid. It's too far to drive, and my quick glance at airline rates out there showed some pretty high rates.

With the combo of proximity plus bowl prestige, I'd say the Car Care Bowl would work out very well for UC and its fans. It's not terribly expensive to fly to Charlotte (and should be considerably cheaper than El Paso), and it's also a doable driving distance. From Cincy you're pretty much looking at $100 in fuel roundtrip for a 30mpg vehicle even with the $3/gallon gas prices, and that's not too bad. Charlotte would be a pretty nice and not-too-expensive weekend getaway, and I could see a nice traveling contingent of UC fans for that bowl (myself possibly included).

dougdirt
11-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Papa John's comes up again...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/11/26/bowl.projections.1126/index.html

That would be a real bummer.

Boggles my mind how a team is 9-3 in the Big East and ranked in the Top 25 would play a 7-5 team from C-USA.....

paintmered
11-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Boggles my mind how a team is 9-3 in the Big East and ranked in the Top 25 would play a 7-5 team from C-USA.....

See Tranghese, Mike.

The papajohns.com and independence bowl games are fine if they go to the 5th and 6th teams in the Big East, but they go to 4 and 5. The Big East desperately needs another bowl tie-in with another BCS conference. It's Tranghese's job to fight for that.

LawFive
11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
USF has been confirmed to the Sun Bowl, per Josh. Looks more and more as if UC gets to go to Birmingham. Yea! :sleep:

Cyclone792
11-26-2007, 10:12 PM
USF has been confirmed to the Sun Bowl, per Josh. Looks more and more as if UC gets to go to Birmingham. Yea! :sleep:

What makes it worse is one of the main reasons ...

One of the factors for the Sun Bowl's decision, Folmer said, was because UC beat Oregon State, and the bowl had no interest in a rematch. The Sun Bowl is obligated to take the third team from the Pac-10, so if that's where Oregon State ends up, it has to take the Beavers.

So in the end UC gets penalized because they beat a pretty good team. Yea, that makes sense.

paintmered
11-26-2007, 10:25 PM
So in the end UC gets penalized because they beat a pretty good team...

...by 31 points.

What a great reward. UC gets to go play 7-5 UAB in their condemned stadium. Yippee. :(

There's still hope that the Tire Bowl will pass over UConn.

DoogMinAmo
11-26-2007, 10:49 PM
I have a feeling UC is going to get HOSED!

Anyone else fuming about this? UC fan or not, a top 25 team in all pollswith a 9-3 record and in a BCS conference deserves better!

MaineRed
11-26-2007, 11:08 PM
According to wiki Cincy will be losing $1.6 million by missing out on the Sun Bowl. The papajohns bowl is the lowest paying off all the bowls.

Based on the silly reason (not wanting a rematch) I think USF and Cincy should pool the $2.2 million and split it evenly. But I know that ain't happening.

NorrisHopper30
11-26-2007, 11:46 PM
According to wiki Cincy will be losing $1.6 million by missing out on the Sun Bowl. The papajohns bowl is the lowest paying off all the bowls.

Based on the silly reason (not wanting a rematch) I think USF and Cincy should pool the $2.2 million and split it evenly. But I know that ain't happening.

The Big East pools together all bowl money from every team and splits it.

Playadlc
11-26-2007, 11:58 PM
The Big East pools together all bowl money from every team and splits it.

The Big Ten does this as well. I believe every conference does. It really makes no difference what the bowls payout. Everyone gets the same.

guttle11
11-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah, money is not the issue.

The issue is with recruiting and the bowl structure itself. Every conference should have its bowl tie-ins correlate with the standings. The better you finish, the higher profile the bowl you play in. Seems insanely simple.

UC will get hosed in recruiting and exposure. Playing in the Pizza Bowl will get them far less exposure than playing against a team from another BCS conference in the Car Bowl, which would give them even less than playing on New Year's Eve day on network TV in the Sun Bowl.

At Nippert I see they have the bowl appearances clearly visible for all to see. The Pizza Bowl will not wow anyone. The Sun Bowl might draw some attention, if only for a brief second.

Caveat Emperor
11-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Yeah, money is not the issue.

The issue is with recruiting and the bowl structure itself. Every conference should have its bowl tie-ins correlate with the standings. The better you finish, the higher profile the bowl you play in. Seems insanely simple.

Bowls are businesses. Getting the "best matchup" is often secondary to getting a matchup of teams likely to draw fans. If I were a bowl, I'd much rather have a team with fans in close proximity for ticket and travel purposes or a team with a large fanbase that travels well as opposed to a non-traditional program from a remote location.

You'd have a hard time selling the bowls on a "this is the team you get" philosophy if it might result in matchups that don't make geographic and financial sense.

It's an amusing Catch-22 that UC finds itself in now -- they're playing in a really crap bowl in an absolutely awful area of the country. Their fans are unlikely to travel to see the game because it is such a crummy way to spend hard earned vacation time and travel dollars (apart from the game itself). The reason they're in this bowl is because the perception exists that their fans won't travel and that makes them a less lucrative selection than other schools.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 03:43 PM
FWIW, over at footballscoop.com, they claim they have sources telling them BK will be hired as long as the interview with the president goes well. I have a hard time believing that BK is their first choice myself and I don't know anything about the website's credibility. If so, it would be a huge blow to UC, but not a crippling blow IMO. Just some interesting speculation. If it come true, who do you see as UC's next coach. To early to speculate I know, but I don't know of many of the top of my head.

Joseph
11-27-2007, 03:48 PM
It is speculation, but why on earth wouldn't he want that job? UC has an uphill battle to being a regular power where as UM is tried and true and has built in everything. His time can be spent coaching and recruiting and not lobbying for a practice dome.

dougdirt
11-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Sounds like UCONN is on its way to the Meineke Car Care Bowl as they have a presser at the same time as the Meineke guys today at 4:30.

I am disgusted right now at the thought of having to play a 7-5 Conference USA team to end the best season in school history....

Matt700wlw
11-27-2007, 03:59 PM
The snub is official

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2007/11/27/newsblog/doc474c7ac7c3f55429169531.txt

HotCorner
11-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Unbelievable.

It's odd that had UC upset WV, they could be on the verge of playing in a BCS bowl. Instead they are left to play in the fourth of the five BE bowl games.

At least they will wipe the field with Southern Miss.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Thats exactly why Michigan would be appealing to Kelly. No crappy bowl tie-ins. The BCS is rediculous. How can UC compete with a school like Michigan if everytime they get a coach that is any good, they can't keep him simply because of bowl tie-ins. That is what it boils down to.

Matt700wlw
11-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah, this makes sense.

The unranked UCONN gets a good bowl against the ACC (probably Wake) while #23 UC, who beat Uconn handily, gets to play a rinky dink Conf. USA opponent....

Isn't this why they left Conf. USA??

Caveat Emperor
11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Yeah, this makes sense.

The unranked UCONN gets a good bowl against the ACC (probably Wake) while #23 UC, who beat Uconn handily, gets to play a rinky dink Conf. USA opponent....

Isn't this why they left Conf. USA??

Sadly, there are a few C-USA Bowl Tie-Ins that I would prefer, as a Bearcats fan, to the Papajohns.com Bowl.

GoReds33
11-27-2007, 04:15 PM
What a shocker. Honestly I didn't see this coming. I expected that someone would have the guts to put the better team in the game. Instead, our reward is going to be to kick the crap out of a Conference USA team. I hate to say it, but they treat teams better than the Big East does. When you can go 7 and 5 in conference USA, and get to play a top 25 ranked Big East team, you must be doing something right... or the Big East must be doing something incredebly wrong.

dougdirt
11-27-2007, 04:16 PM
What a shocker. Honestly I didn't see this coming. I expected that someone would have the guts to put the better team in the game. Instead, our reward is going to be to kick the crap out of a Conference USA team. I hate to say it, but they treat teams better than the Big East does. When you can go 7 and 5 in conference USA, and get to play a top 25 ranked Big East team, you must be doing something right... or the Big East must be doing something incredebly wrong.

Yeah, its an absolute joke.

Thanks Big East.

Chip R
11-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Look at it this way, you won't have to go far to see them in the bowl game. ;)

dougdirt
11-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Look at it this way, you won't have to go far to see them in the bowl game. ;)

papajohns.com bowl is in Alabama....

Caveat Emperor
11-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Upon further reflection, I feel compelled to add that while I know everyone is disappointed at not making a major bowl, it is somewhat upsetting to hear people derride the fact that a C-USA opponent is being played in the bowl game.

That kind of elitist attitude (that only a select list of schools within D1 are worthy opponents) is part of what is wrong with college sports and why small schools struggle to get ahead.

I'd be upset that the bowl is in a fairly unexciting region of the United States, being played at a non-traditional time for bowl games, and with no "name" prestiege (like gator, citrus, etc.), but I wouldn't get mad just because the school isn't one that you deem worthy of playing.

Chip R
11-27-2007, 04:29 PM
papajohns.com bowl is in Alabama....

Oh, I thought it was in Louisville.

dougdirt
11-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Upon further reflection, I feel compelled to add that while I know everyone is disappointed at not making a major bowl, it is somewhat upsetting to hear people derride the fact that a C-USA opponent is being played in the bowl game.

That kind of elitist attitude (that only a select list of schools within D1 are worthy opponents) is part of what is wrong with college sports and why small schools struggle to get ahead.

I'd be upset that the bowl is in a fairly unexciting region of the United States, being played at a non-traditional time for bowl games, and with no "name" prestiege (like gator, citrus, etc.), but I wouldn't get mad just because the school isn't one that you deem worthy of playing.

I think its just sad that a Top 25 ranked team that is 9-3 in a BCS conference is going to the lowest paying bowl out there to play the #4 Conference USA team. Maybe its 'elitist'.....I think its just ridiculous.

Matt700wlw
11-27-2007, 04:39 PM
If it were earned, then there wouldn't be a debate.

It wasn't....there's no way UConn should get a bowl bid over UC. The ONLY think Uconn has over UC is Big East record....

Matt700wlw
11-27-2007, 04:49 PM
I think its just sad that a Top 25 ranked team that is 9-3 in a BCS conference is going to the lowest paying bowl out there

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

Yes it is

CrackerJack
11-27-2007, 04:49 PM
It's sad they choose one team over another based on how well "their fans will probably travel."

I think UC's fans would travel a heck of a lot better this year than they have in years' past, if attendance this year is any factor. What a joke.

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Thats exactly why Michigan would be appealing to Kelly. No crappy bowl tie-ins. The BCS is rediculous. How can UC compete with a school like Michigan if everytime they get a coach that is any good, they can't keep him simply because of bowl tie-ins. That is what it boils down to.

Cincy would be going to a better bowl if they beat Louisiville and especially 4-7 Pitt. I really don't think you can lose to a team like Pitt and complain about what bowl you are in.

The Bearcats win those two games and only have a loss to WVU and they have a better case to be number 5 in the land right now than the current number 5 team, Kansas. There is a chance they would be going to the Orange Bowl under that scenario to play the ACC winner or perhaps the Fiesta Bowl to play Kansas or Oklahoma.

Danny Serafini
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
The ONLY think Uconn has over UC is Big East record....

In other words, Connecticut is ahead of them in the standings and got the better bowl berth. That makes it a bit hard to feel sympathetic towards Cincinnati on this one.

GoReds33
11-27-2007, 04:57 PM
I encourage you to contact Bearcat Athletic Director Mike Thomas, and express your complaints. I found his office phone number, and email on UC's website.

513-556-4603
bearcatad@uc.edu

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Yeah, but the point is that if Michigan finishes at 9-3 in what was a worse conference this year, they are still looking really good. That is why the Michigan job is so appealing. You could have a worse year and get in a better bowl. Larger margin for error.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 05:00 PM
I encourage you to contact Bearcat Athletic Director Mike Thomas, and express your complaints. I found his office phone number, and email on UC's website.

513-556-4603
bearcatad@uc.edu

Its not his fault. Calling him will do little IMO. If you want to voice complaints, they should be directed at the Big East, not the school. Maybe even somebody affiliated with the BCS.

Matt700wlw
11-27-2007, 05:01 PM
In other words, Connecticut is ahead of them in the standings and got the better bowl berth. That makes it a bit hard to feel sympathetic towards Cincinnati on this one.

So what's the point of the BCS rankings then?

UC beat more Top 25 teams than UConn this season as well....

If that doesn't mean anything, then lets get rid of the system.

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 05:05 PM

The bigger gripe they have is with USF, the number 4 team getting a better game than number 3 Cincy.

But Bowl games aren't about match-ups, they are about money. It is why I can't imagine ANYONE supporting the whole bowl system. People get all worked up because their team is going to not significant game A instead of slightly less insignificant game B.

It isn't the ADs fault that Cincy isn't known as a team who "travels well". That papajohns bowl would take 1-10 Notre Dame if it were allowable in a heartbeat over Cincy.

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 05:07 PM
So what's the point of the BCS rankings then?

UC beat more Top 25 teams than UConn this season as well....

If that doesn't mean anything, then lets get rid of the system.

The point of the BCS ranking isn't to allocate bowl berths for teams ranked #23 in the country.

The BCS is about four bowls plus the title game. That is it. The only reason you know Cincy is "#23" is because ESPN reports it. All that matters is the top 12 and conference champs from the six major leagues. UConn isn't part of the BCS picture either, just WVU from the Big East.

paintmered
11-27-2007, 06:27 PM
The point of the BCS ranking isn't to allocate bowl berths for teams ranked #23 in the country.

The BCS is about four bowls plus the title game. That is it. The only reason you know Cincy is "#23" is because ESPN reports it. All that matters is the top 12 and conference champs from the six major leagues. UConn isn't part of the BCS picture either, just WVU from the Big East.

True. But UC is the only ranked team that won't be playing another BCS school. One of the 9-3 teams in the Big East was going to get snubbed. Somehow, the team that made the gentleman's agreement with Meineke on the golf course before the season started wasn't the snubbed team.

The bigger issue is, why in the world is the #3 Big East team playing the #6 CUSA team in a crap location?

GoReds33
11-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Its not his fault. Calling him will do little IMO. If you want to voice complaints, they should be directed at the Big East, not the school. Maybe even somebody affiliated with the BCS.The email I sent him didn't point any fault at him. What I said was that as a huge Bearcat fan, and somebody who has spent so much money at Bearcat sporting events I am dissappointed by this decision. I went on to suggest that he have a meeting with the Big East, and to make better bowl games a priority for the Big East. Besides, I couldn't find the number of anybody at the Big East's office with any authority. If anybody has such info, please post it. Thanks.

Matt700wlw
11-27-2007, 06:33 PM
It comes down to money....the Muffler Bowl people felt UConn would bring in more fans than UC for their bowl, and since the Muffler bowl is a higher bowl than the Pizza bowl, they get the first choice.

That may not be fair...however, that's reality in sports today.

Cyclone792
11-27-2007, 10:14 PM
There's an outside shot at the Gator Bowl, and by outside shot I mean probably less than one percent. It will come down to a Big 12 team vs. UC, and I don't like UC's chances in that at all. Most of the projections I've seen suggest the Gator Bowl will take Texas Tech, and that selection could be based largely off their recent win over Oklahoma despite playing absolutely nobody out of conference.

West Virginia landed in the Gator Bowl last year and brought home a victory.

Chances are it's Birmingham though, and that'll be a shame.

NorrisHopper30
11-27-2007, 11:16 PM
When was the last team a top 20 team had to play Southern Miss in a bowl game?

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 11:24 PM
You want to talk snubs? USA Today is projecting Mizzou for the Cotton Bowl vs. 8-4 Arkansas.

They currently sit at number 1 in the land and the paper says they won't even play in a BCS game.

LoganBuck
11-27-2007, 11:24 PM
When was the last team a top 20 team had to play Southern Miss in a bowl game?

TCU had the honor of playing them in 2000, when they were #13.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2007, 01:27 AM
The bigger issue is, why in the world is the #3 Big East team playing the #6 CUSA team in a crap location?

Unless you just want to go ahead and say that the mid-majors shouldn't be part of D-1A football (which I suppose is the point of the BCS), then somebody has to play them at the end of the season.

I agree that, based on their performance this season, Cincinnati deserves a better bowl in a better location, but I can't deride the fact that the Big East plays C-USA in a bowl matchup.

paintmered
11-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Unless you just want to go ahead and say that the mid-majors shouldn't be part of D-1A football (which I suppose is the point of the BCS), then somebody has to play them at the end of the season.

I agree that, based on their performance this season, Cincinnati deserves a better bowl in a better location, but I can't deride the fact that the Big East plays C-USA in a bowl matchup.

I'm not deriding that, I'm deriding that they are playing a team that finished sixth in the conference and just fired their coach. There are 9 Div 1-AA teams ranked higher than SMU in the Sagarin.

Danny Serafini
11-28-2007, 09:40 AM
What does SMU have to do with anything?

Redlegs23
11-28-2007, 10:02 AM
UC gets screwed, what a surprise. I feel like I did after UC got screwed out of the NCAA tourney a couple years back.

Chip R
11-28-2007, 10:27 AM
UC's in a tough spot. It's not a very attractive bowl to go to and the payout is lousy. Yet if the fans don't buy their share of tickets, it's going to be tough for bowl committees to justify picking UC over a team that might not be as good but brings a lot of fans.

Roy Tucker
11-28-2007, 11:16 AM
UC was kinda under the Big East radar all year. They were never the big #1 story coming out of the conference.

Louisville and Rutgers had successes in previous years, South Florida came out of nowhere and flirted with #2, Connecticut seemed to be the Rutgers from last year, but UC never seemed to be THE Big East team that the national press talked about.

I view this bowl thing as the UC football program paying its dues for its past. They've always been the red-headed step child to the national reputation of UC hoops and haven't really had big time success for a long time. It's only been this year has the city turned out in force for them and that was a last-second thing.

However, I fully expect Brian Kelly to continue to raise the national awareness of the program, be better next year, and if they experience the same or better success next year, they sure as heck ought to get a better bowl.

bucksfan2
11-28-2007, 11:21 AM
IMO UC didn't get the shaft. I think the problem lies within the Big East and their bowl alliances. Its a shame because I would have liked to see how UC would play against a better opponent than that of CUSA. But can you doubt the bowls who want to see tickets when the look at a program who historically doesn't travel well and prior to this year doesn't sell out their home stadium?

westofyou
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
It's only been this year has the city turned out in force for them and that was a last-second thing.

It's a long way from the Sid Gilliam years, expecting UC football to be instantly recognized outside of the Tri State is a reach IMO.

Chip R
11-28-2007, 11:36 AM
IMO UC didn't get the shaft. I think the problem lies within the Big East and their bowl alliances. Its a shame because I would have liked to see how UC would play against a better opponent than that of CUSA. But can you doubt the bowls who want to see tickets when the look at a program who historically doesn't travel well and prior to this year doesn't sell out their home stadium?

I'm not sure how well or poorly UC has traveled since they went to their first bowl in decades in 97. That one was thr Humanitarian Bowl in Boise, ID. Not exactly a place where you make plans to visit in the winter unless you like to ski. Since then it's been Detroit, Ft. Worth, TX and Toronto with one year of New Orleans mixed in there. None of those places - except New Orleans - sounds like a winter vacation hot spot. If UC fans didn't travel in huge numbers to those games, they had a pretty good excuse.

WMR
11-28-2007, 11:38 AM
I would have liked to see UC and UK play this year.

WMR
11-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know what bowl prognosticators are sending UK to and who they're likely going to play?

BRM
11-28-2007, 11:41 AM
Does anyone know what bowl prognosticators are sending UK to and who they're likely going to play?

Sportsline has them in the Music City Bowl against Wake Forest. SI has them in the Outback but their predictions are a couple of weeks old.

joshnky
11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
This was in today's Louisville Courier-Journal. It doesn't help Cincinnati's situation this year but it could mean improvements in the future. It also sheds some light on why the bowl affiliations are currently very poor.

Conference hopes for better bowls
By Brian Bennett
bbennett@courier-journal.com
The Courier-Journal

West Virginia is one win from becoming the first Big East Conference team to play for the national title since the new league format began in 2005. Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese said that would be "another giant step forward for the league."

But the conference still has some issues to tackle in the postseason. For starters, the Big East has only four bowl tie-ins outside its BCS affiliation this season, part of the reason the University of Louisville could be shut out if it finishes 6-6.

Many of the bowls aren't the most attractive destinations, either. For example, 20th ranked Cincinnati (9-3) is likely ticketed for the Papajohns.com Bowl in Birmingham, Ala.

"I think we need to have five bowls a year, and we want to identify bowls in places our fans and teams want to go," Tranghese said. "The other priority is who we play. We do not play the Big Ten or SEC (in bowls), and we would like to play both of those conferences."

Tranghese said the current bowl lineup was made when the Big East had just reformed and no one knew how good the league would be.

"We had no leverage, and to be quite candid and blunt, we were lucky to get what we got," Tranghese said. "(But) there is clearly more interest in our league now than four years ago, and our bowl lineup next time around should be much better."

It likely will be at least another year before the bowl affiliations are renegotiated, Tranghese said. He said the conference has had initial discussions about upgrading its current bowl partners, forging different ones or even creating new bowl games in desirable locales.

Tranghese also said the enhanced image of the Big East could mean better dates and times in the next TV contract. Big East teams have played five Friday night games on ESPN this season, two of them by U of L.

"Four years ago we were told we could either play on Friday nights or not have a TV contract," he said. "Now things are changing. We're in a significantly better position."

MaineRed
11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Sportsline has them in the Music City Bowl against Wake Forest. SI has them in the Outback but their predictions are a couple of weeks old.

USAToday says Nashville as well, but against Florida State.

MaineRed
11-28-2007, 12:44 PM
part of the reason the University of Louisville could be shut out if it finishes 6-6.

The ONLY reason they will be shut out if they are 6-6 is because they are 6-6.

Can't they go play Iowa in the 6-6 Bowl? Find a stadium along Route 66 and imagine the excitement.

I'm not a Louisiville fan but if I was I wouldn't be too worked up about getting "shut out". I'd be more worked up that my team was 5-6 at the moment. Sure other conferences get their below average teams into bowl games but that wouldn't upset me. The Cardinals had a crappy year and they don't deserve a chance to give everyone a good last impression on a national stage.

Can't believe the Big East is thinking about creating MORE bowls. It is so ridiculous.

joshnky
11-28-2007, 12:53 PM
The ONLY reason they will be shut out if they are 6-6 is because they are 6-6.

Can't they go play Iowa in the 6-6 Bowl? Find a stadium along Route 66 and imagine the excitement.

I'm not a Louisiville fan but if I was I wouldn't be too worked up about getting "shut out". I'd be more worked up that my team was 5-6 at the moment. Sure other conferences get their below average teams into bowl games but that wouldn't upset me. The Cardinals had a crappy year and they don't deserve a chance to give everyone a good last impression on a national stage.

Can't believe the Big East is thinking about creating MORE bowls. It is so ridiculous.

I didn't post the article because I'm upset about Louisville's bowl possibilities but because it sheds light into what the Big East is doing to improve their bowl ties. And who cares if they create another bowl? No one is making you watch it or even read the results.

To everyone else, I apologize for briefly derailing a thread that is about UC. It does seem that the Big East is trying to capitalize on their recent success and improve their bowl ties over the next few years.

KronoRed
11-28-2007, 12:56 PM
With the 12th game now permanent teams should be required to get 7 wins instead of 6 to get to a bowl game.

BRM
11-28-2007, 01:00 PM
With the 12th game now permanent teams should be required to get 7 wins instead of 6 to get to a bowl game.

It's not a requirement yet but that's essentially what it's going to take for a lot of teams. That's all the announcers talked about during IU's game against Purdue. It was critical for Indiana to get that 7th win if they had any hopes of receiving a bowl bid.

BRM
11-28-2007, 01:01 PM

No kidding. The bowls are so watered down now it's pathetic.

MaineRed
11-28-2007, 01:03 PM
And who cares if they create another bowl?

The only person in charge of the keyboard my fingers are touching, ME.

I quoted the article, not you btw. I never for a second thought that it ws you who that would be upset about Louisiville misses out on a bowl and I think the article is quite relevant to the discussion. Thanks for posting it.

MaineRed
11-28-2007, 01:03 PM
No kidding. The bowls are so watered down now it's pathetic.

Blah, blah, blah, nobody cares. You don't have to watch them.

:beerme:

BRM
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Blah, blah, blah, nobody cares. You don't have to watch them.

:beerme:

Most people aren't watching the existing ones. ;)

dougdirt
11-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Most people aren't watching the existing ones. ;)

Yeah, because good teams like Cincinnati end up facing teams like Southern Miss.....

BRM
11-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Yeah, because good teams like Cincinnati end up facing teams like Southern Miss.....

It seems like most bowl games played early on have stadiums barely half full. Poor matchups and too many 6-6 and 7-5 teams playing.

dougdirt
11-28-2007, 01:41 PM
It seems like most bowl games played early on have stadiums barely half full. Poor matchups and too many 6-6 and 7-5 teams playing.

True.... who wants to go see two bad teams play eachother? If there were a bowl game in Cincinnati I know I wouldn't want to go see two 7-5 teams play eachother that weren't from here.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2007, 02:21 PM
True.... who wants to go see two bad teams play eachother? If there were a bowl game in Cincinnati I know I wouldn't want to go see two 7-5 teams play eachother that weren't from here.

The Skyline Chili Bowl?

If there were free coneys involved, I might show up.

pedro
11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
UC had a good year and Brian Kelly seems to be doing a good job building the program but UC draws less than no interest outside of the immediate Cincinnati area.

They're going to have to string together a number of good seasons in a row before they are going to get decent bowl bids. Right or wrong that's just the nature of the beast.

dougdirt
11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
UC had a good year and Brian Kelly seems to be doing a good job building the program but UC draws less than no interest outside of the immediate Cincinnati area.

They're going to have to string together a number of good seasons in a row before they are going to get decent bowl bids. Right or wrong that's just the nature of the beast.

explain UCONN then. They have 1 bowl EVER. We beat the living daylights out of them. Honestly, 9-3 in C-USA would have gotten them a better bowl than 9-3 in the Big East did this year....

westofyou
11-28-2007, 02:42 PM
explain UCONN then.

Close to NYC, Bristol and a bigger named school and likely more money from the Alumni.

GoReds33
11-28-2007, 02:44 PM

They're going to have to string together a number of good seasons in a row before they are going to get decent bowl bids. Right or wrong that's just the nature of the beast.I agree with you. They havn't built the intrest outside of the city yet. All that will build itself though if we continue to be good.

I don't agree at all with your entire second paragraph. If they would have beat West Virginia, and Pitt-both winnable games- they would be playing in a BCS game.

pedro
11-28-2007, 02:45 PM
I agree with you. They havn't built the intrest outside of the city yet. All that will build itself though if we continue to be good.

I don't agree at all with your entire second paragraph. If they would have beat West Virginia, and Pitt-both winnable games- they would be playing in a BCS game.

That's true. I'm speaking more about the non bcs bowls.

Cyclone792
11-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Travel packages are available starting tomorrow on gobearcats.com. I'm still very disappointed in UC's bowl bid, but apparently one way to try to turn that around is if the UC fans prove they can travel to the game. I'll definitely be checking out the travel packages tomorrow to see if anything looks decent.

paintmered
11-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Travel packages are available starting tomorrow on gobearcats.com. I'm still very disappointed in UC's bowl bid, but apparently one way to try to turn that around is if the UC fans prove they can travel to the game. I'll definitely be checking out the travel packages tomorrow to see if anything looks decent.

That pesky holiday on December 25 is going to prevent me from going to the game. I'm celebrating with family on the 23rd.

It's not the location that will prevent me from going, it's the date. I fear that will be the case with many UC fans. And it's going to haunt us because it will only add to the stigma that UC has no fan support.

Matt700wlw
11-28-2007, 08:07 PM
It's not the location that will prevent me from going, it's the date. I fear that will be the case with many UC fans. And it's going to haunt us because it will only add to the stigma that UC has no fan support.

It's a no-win...

S. Miss should have no problem...it's close for them.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2007, 08:09 PM

FWIW, if I were a UC alum / UC football fan, I'd be e-mailing the AD's office as soon as the travel packages are released with the following statement:

"Looks nice, would love to travel -- let's see some assurances that I'm not watching one of Brian Kelly's assistants coach the game."

MaineRed
11-28-2007, 08:32 PM
The game in Birmingham is going to be played at Legion Field. I saw that UAB uses it as a home field and that the attendance record was set when they were playing ......

Southern Miss

Maybe Birmingham isn't the best spot for a vacation but it is the center of what might be college footballs most fierce rivalry.

Caveat Emperor
11-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Maybe Birmingham isn't the best spot for a vacation but it is the center of what might be college footballs most fierce rivalry.

I wouldn't even put it in the top 25 of college rivalries.

MaineRed
11-29-2007, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't even put it in the top 25 of college rivalries.

http://americasbestonline.net/crival.htm
http://www.greatsportsrivalries.com/college_teams.html
http://www.sptimes.com/News/111800/Sports/Times_top_5_college_f.shtml
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/11/19/192138.php
http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/best-college-football-rivalries.asp
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/3169406

The rest of the civilzed world recognizes Auburn-Bama as one of the best.

You couldn't list 25 better rivalries in college football if your life depended on it.

SeeinRed
11-29-2007, 09:12 AM
http://americasbestonline.net/crival.htm
http://www.greatsportsrivalries.com/college_teams.html
http://www.sptimes.com/News/111800/Sports/Times_top_5_college_f.shtml
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/11/19/192138.php
http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/best-college-football-rivalries.asp
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/3169406

You couldn't list 25 better rivalries in college football if your life depended on it.

I took your previous post to be about UAB-Southern Miss. Talk about confusion. Gotta love mornings.

Chip R
11-29-2007, 09:48 AM

I don't know if "civilized" is a word I'd use in talking about that rivalry. ;)

Heath
11-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey it's a bowl game. For a long time UC and Bowl Game Invites weren't even in the same sentence.

It's a step in the right direction -

Heath
11-29-2007, 09:55 AM
From the Sports Network -

Cincinnati accepts bid to Papajohns.com Bowl

Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - The Cincinnati Bearcats have accepted an invitation to play in the Papajohns.com Bowl on December 22 in Birmingham, Alabama.

The Bearcats (9-3) will face Southern Mississippi (7-5).

"I am excited for our program to be going to bowl games in back-to-back years," stated Cincinnati head coach Brian Kelly. "After a 9-3 season, this group deserves an opportunity to play one more game. I am happy to be going to Birmingham. We have a shot at 10 wins and to make our mark in UC history."

With wins in its last two bowl games, Cincinnati is 5-4 all-time in postseason contests. UC won the 2007 International Bowl, 27-24 in Kelly's first game leading the team.

Meanwhile, the all-time series between Cincinnati and Southern Miss. is knotted at seven apiece but the two sides have not met since 2004.

"This is a great opportunity for our student-athletes who deserve the opportunity to play in consecutive bowl games," said director of athletics Mike Thomas. "This is a reward for the Bearcats to face a tradition-rich team and have a chance for 10 wins. We look forward to making the trip to the beautiful City of Birmingham, and seeing the Bearcats hit the field."

This is the second season for the bowl, which saw South Florida top East Carolina, 24-7, in its inagural game on December 23, 2006.

11/28 12:56:16 ET

Redlegs23
11-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey it's a bowl game. For a long time UC and Bowl Game Invites weren't even in the same sentence.

It's a step in the right direction -

I like your optimism but I disagree. A step in the right direction would be getting respect from the rest of the nation and going to a bowl game above the level of the one's we've been to in the past 5-10 years. The Papa Johns bowl is no improvement over the International, Motor City, Ft. Worth, etc. We deserved better but continue to get no respect. Let's travel to Birmingham so that element can't be used against us in the future.

westofyou
11-29-2007, 10:03 AM
This should be known in long name format as "The most repugnant fast food that's not on a bun Bowl"

westofyou
11-29-2007, 10:13 AM
We deserved better but continue to get no respect.

I don't follow Football too much anymore, but enough to let you know nobody on this side of the country knows of UC as a school with one ounce of football history. These things take time and well, UC has won nine games twice in my lifetime, and eight 3 times, not exactly the reputation maker.

RedsManRick
11-29-2007, 10:42 AM
All I know about UC is that in 4th grade, when I lived in State College, my Nittany Lions beat the Cats 81-0 early in the '91 season thanks to guys like Tony Sacca, Kyle Brady, and Sam Gash.

Meanwhile, my alma mater, Wisconsin heads to Tampa for the 13th time in the last 3 months, or something like that.

Caveat Emperor
11-29-2007, 12:30 PM
I took your previous post to be about UAB-Southern Miss. Talk about confusion. Gotta love mornings.

As did I -- in fact, nowhere in the post was Auburn or 'Bama referenced.

MaineRed
11-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Sorry for the confusion. I no longer think you are as dumb as you must have thought I was for thinking that about S.Miss and UAB.

:)

SeeinRed
11-29-2007, 02:10 PM
:explode:

That was me this moring trying to wrap my head around the statement that UAB- So. Miss was one of the greatest rivalries in history, then the ensuing verbal beatdown that was sure to follow. That fight wouldn't have made it to the second round. Thats what happens when thoughts aren't fully translated into text on a messageboard I guess. I was going to grab some popcorn (a lot of it because messageboard beatdowns take a while to play out with the typing and all that) and a Coke to sit down and enjoy. I was even thinking of calling off work. Such an event is a rarity, and I have sick days left. That was until reality hit and MaineRed came through just in time to save his sanity in my (and evidently CE's) mind. Thanks MaineRed, you ruined what could have been a perfectly entertaining way to waste a day. Wasting a day without changing out of my tshirt and shorts on the couch was just a pipe dream after all I guess.

MaineRed
11-29-2007, 02:23 PM
:bowrofl:

I was thinking the same thing, wondering what the hell this guy was going to say when I demanded he name 25 better rivalries than freaking Auburn and Bama.

TeamSelig
11-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Mmmm papa john's

pedro
11-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Mmmm papa john's

really?

I think it might even be worse than dominos.

TeamSelig
11-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Are you kidding me?

I can't stop eating when I order Papa John's. My favorite pizza place, easily. Love the sweet tasting sauce,and the crust is great too.

So what pizza do you normally get? Please don't say Pizza hut.

NorrisHopper30
11-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Are you kidding me?

I can't stop eating when I order Papa John's. My favorite pizza place, easily. Love the sweet tasting sauce,and the crust is great too.

Papa John's is #3 on my list behind LaRosas and Donatos.

I can't eat Papa John's though unless it has pepperoni, the cheese kind of sickens me.

pedro
11-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Are you kidding me?

Local joints. I try and stay away from corporate food when I can.

I agree about Pizza Hut. Not sure that's even Pizza.

pedro
11-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Papa John's is #3 on my list behind LaRosas and Donatos.

I can't eat Papa John's though unless it has pepperoni, the cheese kind of sickens me.

I like Donato's, but it's not traditional pizza really.

They opened a couple down in Atlanta when I lived there but they didn't last.

MaineRed
11-29-2007, 08:01 PM
If you want good pizza it isn't going to come from someone who advertises on ESPN.

Pizzeria Regina in Boston is the best tasting pizza I have ever had. I base vacations around that pizza.

pedro
11-29-2007, 08:04 PM
If you want good pizza it isn't going to come from someone who advertises on ESPN.

Pizzeria Regina in Boston is the best tasting pizza I have ever had. I base vacations around that pizza.

I think that's pretty good rule of thumb. I think I might even expand it a little. I try not to eat at any restaurant that advertises on television. Obviously sometimes you don't have a choice and some corporate places aren't too bad, but as a general rule....

pedro
11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
I like this place.

http://www.hammyspizza.com/images/splash.jpg

pedro
11-29-2007, 08:07 PM
admittedly though, I am a total food snob.

TeamSelig
11-29-2007, 08:09 PM
I see... local places are nice. We have a good one here in Vincennes called Bill Bobes. Their crust is really thin though, so I don't usually go there. Edit- Plus they are typically expensive. Not worth the extra money IMO, but I am a poor college student as of now.

If i'm ordering out though, I always go with Papa johns.

Yachtzee
11-29-2007, 09:25 PM
This should be known in long name format as "The most repugnant fast food that's not on a bun Bowl"

Or "Our founder looks like a living ventriloquist's dummy Bowl."

Count me in as one who does not like the Papa Johns. What I find most repugnant about them is the way they drove some really excellent pizza joints out of business in the early '90s in Kent, Ohio. I worked for 3 or 4 different places, each with excellent pizza. Adriatico's was great, but was doomed because they would often shop at the regular grocery store for supplies instead of getting things from wholesale suppliers. But the others I worked for were thriving pizza joints, especially Napoli Pizza, which had awesome hand-tossed NY Style pizza. You could get an XL (16 inch) one item pizza and a two liter of coke for 7 bucks. Best deal in town for the best pizza in town. Then Papa Johns came along. Their pizza wasn't necessarily good and their prices weren't better, but they had the backing of a national chain, so they could flood the college campus with full color coupon circulars. The college kids thought they were getting a deal because they had a coupon for $1 off a $9 pizza when they could have gotten a large pizza and a 2 liter of coke as the regular deal at Napoli. But Napoli couldn't afford to print out a bunch of glossy full-color circulars, so it went the way of the dinosaur and the place is now a print shop. I would give anything to be able to have a nice hand-tossed Napoli pizza, with slices so big you could fold them in half. Instead I'm limited to Donato's, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, and a few places which don't cook their pizza long enough so that the crust is almost raw dough in the middle. I hate chain pizza, but Donato's is the lesser of evils. Plus the square cut pizza reminds me of Ording's Pizza of Troy, OH, where we used to go when I visited my grandparents.

Back to the topic of the thread. That stinks for the Bearcats. People may not know much about UC football outside of the Midwest, but South Florida and UConn haven't exactly had a history of football domination either. UConn didn't even play division 1-A football until 2000 and South Florida didn't play football at all until 1997.

TeamSelig
11-29-2007, 09:31 PM
You guys can't be serious.

The only down side to Papa Johns is that I eat too much of it and have heart burn the next morning. You guys must be picky. ;)

Yachtzee
11-29-2007, 09:35 PM
You guys can't be serious.

The only down side to Papa Johns is that I eat too much of it and have heart burn the next morning. You guys must be picky. ;)

If you ever get a chance while visiting New York, try some real NY style pizza from a real pizza joint and we'll see if you still like Papa Johns better. Real NY style is pretty tasty stuff. It has to be hand-tossed though. No pizza press. Or try a Chicago style from Giordano's, although true Chicago-style is sui generis, something in and of itself, not to be compared to other pizza.

MaineRed
11-29-2007, 09:45 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Lombardi's in NYC is the oldest pizza place in the USA, their pizza oven has been going since like 1904. Pretty darn good. One of those pizzas that has all kinds of burnt spots that for some reason don't taste charred at all.

Not a fan of street pizza in NYC as much, such as Famous Ray's. Taste too much like chain pizza.

I put this place up against anyone. If someone can make pizza better you can't eat it while standing up. The line you see is common but well worth the wait.

http://blogs.menupages.com/boston/Pizzeria%20Regina.jpg

TeamSelig
11-29-2007, 09:45 PM
I hear ya, but will it spoil me to the point where I dislike Papa Johns?

I think I would like Chicago pizza. They make it heavy on the sauce, right?

MaineRed
11-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Chicago pizza is deep dish. Very good as well but it is to pizza what nachos are to tacos. You are really eating the same thing but it is different, you know?

I make deep dish at home all the time. It is much easier to duplicate the taste of a great deep dish pizza than thin crust.

Chicago style traditionally is loaded up with sausage but as with any pizza place you can build your own. I make mine with frest tomato slices and pepperoni.

Cheese, tomato and pepperoni, is there a better threesome in the food world?

TeamSelig
11-29-2007, 09:57 PM
I like my pizza hot. Japalaneos or peppers, and pepperoni. Yummy. Sausage is good too though.

guttle11
11-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I now have a new favorite thread.

BuckeyeRed27
11-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Catfish Biff's

TeamSelig
11-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Don't tell me you guys don't like Long John Silvers?

OSUmed2010
11-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Catfish Biff's

I love Catfish Biff's... but my favorite is Flying Pizza.

westofyou
11-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Are you kidding me?
Nope.

I haven't eaten a Pizza Hut/Dominos/Little Ceasers/ in a long time, 12 years or more.

http://www.pizzicatopizza.com/ In Portland.

My fave of all time is this.

http://www.zacharys.com/

But I order an extra thin Donatos with peppers every time I hit Ohio

BTW concerning UC when the best known player in team history isn't Jim O'Brien then the rest of the world might know of them as a football school.

George Foster
11-29-2007, 11:00 PM
The game in Birmingham is going to be played at Legion Field. I saw that UAB uses it as a home field and that the attendance record was set when they were playing ......

Southern Miss

I went to the Hall of Fame Bowl game there in 1983 Kentucky VS West Virgina. It was old as dirt then. They were building bon fires in the upper deck...I swear. I hope they have upgraded a little bit in 24 years.

West Virgina had a pretty good QB that year can anybody name him?

Chip R
11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
West Virgina had a pretty good QB that year can anybody name him?

Was that when Jeff Hostetler was there?

On the subject of pizza, I'm underwhelmed by LaRosa's delivery. Reminds me of school pizza. it isn't bad but it's not what it's cracked up to be. I think I went to a Famous Rays in Greenwich Village when I was in NY this summer. I've also had deep dish at Uno's in Chcago. Good stuff. One of the best pizzas I've had was when I was still living in Des Moines. There's this place called Big Tomato Pizza that usually just serves slices to people going home from the bars in that neighborhood. But they do deliver and one time I was helping this guy move and we ordered pizza from there and this particular pizza was, I believe, basil, alfredo sauce and maybe some tomatoes but not tomato sauce. I usually like my pizza with some meat on it but this pizza was different and very delicious.

DoogMinAmo
11-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Those who have the chance, pick up a deep crust pie from Adriaticos in Clifton next time ou can. Hands down the best pizza in the city, with a spicy sauce and crazy good fresh ingredients. I would take that over any other pizza any day.

Yachtzee
11-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Those who have the chance, pick up a deep crust pie from Adriaticos in Clifton next time ou can. Hands down the best pizza in the city, with a spicy sauce and crazy good fresh ingredients. I would take that over any other pizza any day.

I've often wondered if that Adriatico's is run by the same folks who started or franchised out the Kent Adriatico's I loved as a student and driver. Spicy sauce and big salami-sized pepperonis were the calling card. Don't they have a place with that same name near the OSU campus as well?

WMR
11-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Oh wow, Legion Field, that is funny. I went to a World Cup qualifier there a couple years ago. The United States played Guatemala. Wow, that stadium is a serious piece of crap. If it has been upgraded, I'd hate to have seen what it was like before.

It is what I imagine lots of stadiums in South America must look like. Wow, haha, it was bad. Almost like it wasn't even in America. :lol:

paintmered
11-30-2007, 06:37 AM

They will never go out of business as long as UC stays in Cincinnati. It seemed that every single student group got pizza from there for their meetings. I could have eaten free Adriatico's 3-4 days a week if I wanted to while in school.

Also, do yourself a favor and try their 'zonies.

paintmered
11-30-2007, 06:40 AM
I've often wondered if that Adriatico's is run by the same folks who started or franchised out the Kent Adriatico's I loved as a student and driver. Spicy sauce and big salami-sized pepperonis were the calling card. Don't they have a place with that same name near the OSU campus as well?

Yep, that sounds like the place. I'm sure it wasn't called this in Kent, but their 30 slice monstrosity is called "The Bearcat" here. The one in Columbus is probably "The Buckeye".

BuckeyeRed27
11-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Yep, that sounds like the place. I'm sure it wasn't called this in Kent, but their 30 slice monstrosity is called "The Bearcat" here. The one in Columbus is probably "The Buckeye".

I think it is. I always liked that place except it was really close to Catfish Biff's so it usually lost out.

Redlegs23
11-30-2007, 10:51 AM
I don't follow Football too much anymore, but enough to let you know nobody on this side of the country knows of UC as a school with one ounce of football history. These things take time and well, UC has won nine games twice in my lifetime, and eight 3 times, not exactly the reputation maker.

And we're supposed to believe that South Florida and UCONN (the two teams that took the bowl games UC should be playing in) have solid football reputations?

westofyou
11-30-2007, 10:59 AM
And we're supposed to believe that South Florida and UCONN (the two teams that took the bowl games UC should be playing in) have solid football reputations?

Meineke Car Care Bowl, Brut Sun, PapaJohns... they're all the same to me.

MaineRed
11-30-2007, 11:42 AM
I agree woy. I think Bearcat fans would be complaining just as loud if they were headed to a bowl game sponsored by a muffler dealer.

And frankly if they were in that bowl I would not participate in a who makes the best muffler thread. Pizza, yes. Exhaust systems? No thanks. Leave that debate to folks in Westport and Greenwich.

dougdirt
11-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Meineke Car Care Bowl, Brut Sun, PapaJohns... they're all the same to me.

I am a lot more upset by who we are playing than the bowl game. At least the other bowl games are against quality opponents in good football conferences, not the #4 team in Conference USA. Thats what bothers me.

Roy Tucker
11-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I just think this is all because of the historically very low profile of the UC football program.

One year in the top 25 does not make a high powered football program.

The relatively recent rise to power of the Big East as a football conference doesn't help.

UC needs to smile happily, say "thank you for the bowl", go to Birmingham, and beat the snot out of Southern Mississippi.

Then ESPN, SI, etc. will all say "hmmm, there's something happening here" and they get some ink. I would hope UC would then be in the top 25 in the inaugural 2008 polls.

dougdirt
11-30-2007, 01:16 PM
I just think this is all because of the historically very low profile of the UC football program.

One year in the top 25 does not make a high powered football program.

The relatively recent rise to power of the Big East as a football conference doesn't help.

UC needs to smile happily, say "thank you for the bowl", go to Birmingham, and beat the snot out of Southern Mississippi.

Then ESPN, SI, etc. will all say "hmmm, there's something happening here" and they get some ink. I would hope UC would then be in the top 25 in the inaugural 2008 polls.

Why? They have been to what, 5 bowls since 2000? Sure, they haven't had a nice long history, but your comment comes off like they haven't been to a bowl game in 25 years.

Its just silly considering that this is the worst bowl they have had in their history, despite being ranked at the end of the year and this being one of their best teams ever.... oh, and they are actually in a real football conference now unlike previous years.

SeeinRed
11-30-2007, 01:35 PM
I agree woy. I think Bearcat fans would be complaining just as loud if they were headed to a bowl game sponsored by a muffler dealer.

And frankly if they were in that bowl I would not participate in a who makes the best muffler thread. Pizza, yes. Exhaust systems? No thanks. Leave that debate to folks in Westport and Greenwich.

The matchups are not even close to the same. In all honesty, the Bearcasts should rout So. Miss. How is that an appealing game for UC fans?

Roy Tucker
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Why? They have been to what, 5 bowls since 2000? Sure, they haven't had a nice long history, but your comment comes off like they haven't been to a bowl game in 25 years.

Its just silly considering that this is the worst bowl they have had in their history, despite being ranked at the end of the year and this being one of their best teams ever.... oh, and they are actually in a real football conference now unlike previous years.

Heck, half the teams in Div. 1 go to bowls. I don't think that is a huge deal. What bowls did UC go to?

This what I could find for bowl tie-ins for the Big East:

Gator - ACC No. 3 vs. Big East/Big 12 - Virginia vs. Texas Tech
Sun - Pac-10 No. 3 vs. Big 12/Big East - Oregon State vs. South Florida
Meineke Car Care - ACC No. 5/6/7 vs. Big East No. 3 - Florida State vs. Connecticut
PapaJohns.com - Big East vs. C-USA No. 3 - Cincinnati vs. Southern Miss
International - Big East vs. MAC - Rutgers vs. Ball State

The Gator Bowl took a higher scoring Big 12 team. A defensible pick.

The Sun Bowl had to take Oregon State and didn't want to see a rematch with UC. So they took South Florida. I think UC got the shaft here but I'm not 100% sure they would have taken UC even if they could have.

Meineke Bowl took Connecticut who had a 5-2 record in the Big East. UC had a 4-3 record. UC losing to Pitt and Louisville really hurt. I thought this was a fair pick.

So UC goes to the pizza bowl. Could be worse, they could be going to Toronto like Rutgers.

westofyou
11-30-2007, 01:53 PM
UC should form their own Bowl.. it's worked before.

The Fiesta Bowl was born from the Western Athletic Conference's frustrated attempts to obtain bowl invitations for its champions. In 1968 and 1969 respectively, champions Wyoming and Arizona State failed to secure any bowl selection. The next year, undefeated Arizona State was bypassed by the major bowls and had to settle for an appearance in the less prestigious Peach Bowl. The Fiesta Bowl therefore initially provided an automatic bowl tie-in for the Western Athletic Conference champion.

dougdirt
11-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Sure they are all 'defensible', but barely. UC got passed up by the sun bowl because they #3 Pac 10 team lost by 31 points to UC.

The Gator Bowl took Texas Tech, because of their travel....

The Meineke Bowl took UConn because they felt the need to make up for the 2004 'fiasco'. I don't buy into the 'they were the #2 in the BE' because I assume bowls would rather say 'we have a ranked team in our bowl' than 'we have the unranked BE #2'

Roy Tucker
11-30-2007, 02:21 PM
Let me say this; I sure as heck would have liked to see UC go to a higher echelon bowl.

Should they have? Events and circumstances seem to have conspired against them. Some out of their control and some in their control.

I think their lack of historical prestige contributed to some of the lost on-the-fence picks (Gator and Meineke). I think the Sun Bowl they got screwed.

My whole point was, beat Southern Miss convincingly and get in the top 25 for next year so they don't have this problem again. I think they can be top 15 if not top 10 next year.

dougdirt
11-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Let me say this; I sure as heck would have liked to see UC go to a higher echelon bowl.

Should they have? Events and circumstances seem to have conspired against them. Some out of their control and some in their control.

I think their lack of historical prestige contributed to some of the lost on-the-fence picks (Gator and Meineke). I think the Sun Bowl they got screwed.

My whole point was, beat Southern Miss convincingly and get in the top 25 for next year so they don't have this problem again. I think they can be top 15 if not top 10 next year.

I think all things considered, they should probably start next season ranked in the top 20. Lots of returning talent (assuming Mauk gets his extra year which it sounds like he will).

SeeinRed
11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
I think all things considered, they should probably start next season ranked in the top 20. Lots of returning talent (assuming Mauk gets his extra year which it sounds like he will).

Even withouth Mauk, they have the quarterback, who's name escapes me at the moment, who can run the spread offense and might even be a better option according to some. I don't know if anybody could really do any better than Mauk would do considereing he will only be stronger next year. Next year will be exciting. They are putting together something special down there at UC. Could you imagine if they had teams in the top 25 in both football and basketball in the next few years. Wow.

dougdirt
11-30-2007, 02:43 PM
Even withouth Mauk, they have the quarterback, who's name escapes me at the moment, who can run the spread offense and might even be a better option according to some. I don't know if anybody could really do any better than Mauk would do considereing he will only be stronger next year. Next year will be exciting. They are putting together something special down there at UC. Could you imagine if they had teams in the top 25 in both football and basketball in the next few years. Wow.

Pike? Grutza? Notre Dame kid?

As for UC and being top 25 in basketball.... maybe in the state of Ohio, but thats about as far as I see that one going unfortunately.

Boston Red
11-30-2007, 02:46 PM
The Gator Bowl took Texas Tech, because of their travel....

The Gator Bowl took Texas Tech because they are in year two of a four-year deal with the Big East and Big XII. They have to take two Big XII teams and two Big East teams over those four years. The kicker is that Notre Dame could take one of the two Big East spots. Last year, WV went to the Gator Bowl. Basically, by taking TT, the Gator Bowl is keeping alive the possibility that in one of the next two years they can get Notre Dame.

SeeinRed
11-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Pike? Grutza? Notre Dame kid?

As for UC and being top 25 in basketball.... maybe in the state of Ohio, but thats about as far as I see that one going unfortunately.

Notre Dame kid.

I think UC will get back to being contenders in basketball. I have a lot of trust in Cronin to get it done. They've had some solid recruiting classes recently, and they have some good young talent playing this year. Bishop is for real. If they get Williams back for another season, they will be looking a lot better going into next year. You have to take it step by step at this point, but they are headed in the right direction. We'll see how it goes. One things for sure, Nancy owes UC basketball fans a lot for what she put us through.

dougdirt
11-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Notre Dame kid.

I think UC will get back to being contenders in basketball. I have a lot of trust in Cronin to get it done. They've had some solid recruiting classes recently, and they have some good young talent playing this year. Bishop is for real. If they get Williams back for another season, they will be looking a lot better going into next year. You have to take it step by step at this point, but they are headed in the right direction. We'll see how it goes. One things for sure, Nancy owes UC basketball fans a lot for what she put us through.

The thought of Mayo, Walker and Beasley playing at UC makes me hate her with every ounce of my being.....

SeeinRed
11-30-2007, 03:34 PM
The thought of Mayo, Walker and Beasley playing at UC makes me hate her with every ounce of my being.....

It didn't even take that for me. She singlehandedly destroyed a great program.

GoReds33
11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Notre Dame kid.

I think UC will get back to being contenders in basketball. I have a lot of trust in Cronin to get it done. They've had some solid recruiting classes recently, and they have some good young talent playing this year. Bishop is for real. If they get Williams back for another season, they will be looking a lot better going into next year. You have to take it step by step at this point, but they are headed in the right direction. We'll see how it goes. One things for sure, Nancy owes UC basketball fans a lot for what she put us through.To address some of your issues;
1. They have had one decent recruiting class so far. That class hasn't performed that well so far though. Mitchell has performed awfully, but there is plenty of time to turn it around.

2. Williams has next year left on eligibility. After that he can apply for a hardship waiver, similar to Mauk's situation. It is likely he would be granted his sixth year.

3. Nancy Zimpher is terrible. They brought her in from some horrible school, and she has successfully turned this school into the same. Thank God that Mike Thomas has made the right decisions in who he brings in atleast.

TeamSelig
11-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Do you think they would have landed Mayo too? Seems like he really wanted to be the "star" to bring out a program to put his name on it.

But any team with Mayo, Beasley, and Walker on it would have a guaranteed championship IMO.

dougdirt
11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Do you think they would have landed Mayo too? Seems like he really wanted to be the "star" to bring out a program to put his name on it.

But any team with Mayo, Beasley, and Walker on it would have a guaranteed championship IMO.

Mayo and Walker were all over Huggins.... so yeah, I really think they would have come together to UC had Hugs still been there. Beasley would have followed.

paintmered
11-30-2007, 05:52 PM
I am a lot more upset by who we are playing than the bowl game. At least the other bowl games are against quality opponents in good football conferences, not the #4 team in Conference USA. Thats what bothers me.

SMU finished sixth in CUSA, not fourth.

NorrisHopper30
11-30-2007, 05:57 PM
To address some of your issues;
1. They have had one decent recruiting class so far. That class hasn't performed that well so far though. Mitchell has performed awfully, but there is plenty of time to turn it around.

Top ten is definitely more than 'decent'. In my book it's spectacular, especially considering what Mick had to work with - it's gotta be tough to sell the strong points of the program to recruits when you had a losing record.

dougdirt
11-30-2007, 07:08 PM

Which makes it even worse.

How does a BCS Conference #3 end up playing a non BCS conference #6 in a bowl game?

paintmered
11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
Which makes it even worse.

How does a BCS Conference #3 end up playing a non BCS conference #6 in a bowl game?

But that's not all. Even though the Big East shares bowl game revenue equally among all teams, the Pizza Bowl has the lowest payout of any bowl game.

It's an atrocious bowl game in an awful city against a mediocre team with an even worse payout on a bad calendar date. It's a good thing that bowl negotiations occur soon.

WVRed
11-30-2007, 08:26 PM

Beasley may never have ended up at UC. Huggins took that assistant who was like a "brother" to Beasley at Kansas St. Who knows if he would have done that at UC.

guttle11
11-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Beasley may never have ended up at UC. Huggins took that assistant who was like a "brother" to Beasley at Kansas St. Who knows if he would have done that at UC.

Beasley, believe it or not, was headed to Charlotte before Huggins lured the AAU guy away from them to K-State.

As a UD fan I'm glad he did. The thought of Beasley in the A-10 is too scary to think about.

GoReds33
11-30-2007, 10:04 PM
Top ten is definitely more than 'decent'. In my book it's spectacular, especially considering what Mick had to work with - it's gotta be tough to sell the strong points of the program to recruits when you had a losing record.Top 10??? Nobody in their right mind would rank this class top 10. It may have been top 15, had Henry been eligible. Since he isn't, this class is borderline top 25.

Chip R
11-30-2007, 10:08 PM

That bowl they went to in 97 was pretty awful. The only reason they took them is cause the UC athletic department promised the good folks of Boise that the basketball team would play up there. So, not only didn't go to a bowl that was in a warm climate, IIRC they had to play Boise St. and they didn't even get there on their own merits.

joshnky
11-30-2007, 10:16 PM

True but they were the #3 pick. I don't know how much that matters but after the top two CUSA teams were off the board, the Papa John's bowl felt that they were the most desirable.

All this whining about Cincinnati's bowl is getting irritating. You lost to two of the three worst teams in the Big East. Do you expect to get rewarded for that? South Florida and Connecticut won those games. The top 25 means nothing, especially when you're just hanging on the fringes. Is there really that big of differences between 24th, 27th, and 28th (coaches poll)? You got what you deserved.

GoReds33
11-30-2007, 10:30 PM
True but they were the #3 pick. I don't know how much that matters but after the top two CUSA teams were off the board, the Papa John's bowl felt that they were the most desirable.

All this whining about Cincinnati's bowl is getting irritating. You lost to two of the three worst teams in the Big East. Do you expect to get rewarded for that? South Florida and Connecticut won those games. The top 25 means nothing, especially when you're just hanging on the fringes. Is there really that big of differences between 24th, 27th, and 28th (coaches poll)? You got what you deserved.Oh yeah. We had the best season in school history. We killed UCONN. We beat South Florida in their stadium. Though we still got worse bowls than them. If you watched one lick of college football last year you know the Bearcats deserved better. They were the second best team in the Big East. So what if they lost to Pitt and Louisville? Mistakes like that happen when you aren't usto playing as the favorite all the time. Got what we deserved? We got hosed is what we got.:thumbdown

TeamSelig
12-01-2007, 12:57 AM
I just wish Beasley would have somehow gotten out of his intent and followed Huggy bear to WVU. That would have been nice.

dougdirt
12-01-2007, 02:40 AM

All this whining about Cincinnati's bowl is getting irritating. You lost to two of the three worst teams in the Big East. Do you expect to get rewarded for that? South Florida and Connecticut won those games. The top 25 means nothing, especially when you're just hanging on the fringes. Is there really that big of differences between 24th, 27th, and 28th (coaches poll)? You got what you deserved.

Fact remains, every game this year except the WVU game, the Bearcats were the best team on the field. I think they could hang with every team in the country on most days. As for getting what they deserve.... I disagree, a whole lot. There is no way you can slice it that the BE#3 should be playing the C-USA #6.

joshnky
12-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Fact remains, every game this year except the WVU game, the Bearcats were the best team on the field.

Then you should have beat Pitt and Louisville. Maybe you deserve a better bowl but fact is you blew it against two putrid teams. You win just one of the easy ones and you're in the Sun Bowl instead of South Florida.

And just because Cincy had their best season ever doesn't entitle you for a great bowl. Its not like you have a stellar history in football.

paintmered
12-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Then you should have beat Pitt and Louisville. Maybe you deserve a better bowl but fact is you blew it against two putrid teams. You win just one of the easy ones and you're in the Sun Bowl instead of South Florida.

And just because Cincy had their best season ever doesn't entitle you for a great bowl. Its not like you have a stellar history in football.

I understand why UC is in the game they are. I'm not complaining so much about that. What you say is true, UC has two bad losses on their record. If UC beats Pitt, then they are in a better bowl. The Sun Bowl took the highest ranked BCS team, the Tire Bowl took the highest remaining team based on standings.

Rather, I'm complaining about the bowl tie-in itself. As a Louisville fan, you should recognize the need to upgrade the conference bowl tie-ins. That benefits all of us.

joshnky
12-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Rather, I'm complaining about the bowl tie-in itself. As a Louisville fan, you should recognize the need to upgrade the conference bowl tie-ins. That benefits all of us.

I agree with this 100%. I'm just saying Cincy has only themselves to thank for their bowl this year. The bowl ties need to be improved and I believe they will be but I don't see this as a snub. Its just unfortunate that the fourth bowl tie is so poor.

SandyD
12-01-2007, 09:15 AM
The tie-ins were established before UC and UL left CUSA, weren't they?

GoReds33
12-01-2007, 10:46 AM

And just because Cincy had their best season ever doesn't entitle you for a great bowl. Its not like you have a stellar history in football.I would like to point out that there are no "putrid" teams in the Big East, except maybe Syracuse. Pitt and Louisville were good teams. It's not like we lost to Appalachian State or something like that. Louisville is still Louisville. They still have the most talent of any BE school other than West Virginia. The Pitt game was also not easy. I really expected that to be a blowout, but the Pitt players played with heart. Heart can make almost any bad team play with any great team.

joshnky
12-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I would like to point out that there are no "putrid" teams in the Big East, except maybe Syracuse. Pitt and Louisville were good teams. It's not like we lost to Appalachian State or something like that. Louisville is still Louisville. They still have the most talent of any BE school other than West Virginia. The Pitt game was also not easy. I really expected that to be a blowout, but the Pitt players played with heart. Heart can make almost any bad team play with any great team.

I'm a diehard Louisville fan and season ticket holder and even I wouldn't speak as glowingly as you did about the program. Louisville lost to Utah and Syracuse and nearly lost to a bad MTSU team. Fact remains if you don't win against inferior competition you can't expect the bowl committees to reward you and you certainly can't call yourself a great team. Louisville didn't this year and won't go to a bowl. Cincy didn't and so they dropped to the fourth Big East bowl.

SeeinRed
12-01-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree with this 100%. I'm just saying Cincy has only themselves to thank for their bowl this year. The bowl ties need to be improved and I believe they will be but I don't see this as a snub. Its just unfortunate that the fourth bowl tie is so poor.

You don't see a snub in getting put against So. Miss.? The snub might fall squarely on the shoulders of the Big East, but not on a team that went 9-3 in a BCS conference. Yeah, they lost winnable games, but come on. They got snubbed. It isn't UC's fault that the Big East doesn't have better tie-ins.

dougdirt
12-01-2007, 12:27 PM

Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State... oh yeah, everyone in the country except Hawaii and Kansas has lost to a team they should have beaten this year. You make it sound like Cincinnati is the only team around who lost to a team they were better than.

Sure, being the best season ever (arguably) doesn't entitle us to a great bowl, but going 9-3 in a BCS conference and being ranked in the top 25 should entitle us to a better bowl than against a 7-5 and #6 team in Conference USA.

joshnky
12-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State... oh yeah, everyone in the country except Hawaii and Kansas has lost to a team they should have beaten this year. You make it sound like Cincinnati is the only team around who lost to a team they were better than.

There are only two teams in the current top 25 of the coaches poll that lost two games to teams that are outside the top 50 of the Sagarin rankings. Those teams: Cincinnati and Virginia and one of those two losses for VA was at Wyoming for the first game of the season. How many games did UConn and USF lose to teams outside the top 50? Zero.

I agree that you bowl game sucks. However, while good teams may get upset on occasion they seldom lose to bad teams twice in the same season.

dougdirt
12-01-2007, 01:50 PM
There are only two teams in the current top 25 of the coaches poll that lost two games to teams that are outside the top 50 of the Sagarin rankings. Those teams: Cincinnati and Virginia and one of those two losses for VA was at Wyoming for the first game of the season. How many games did UConn and USF lose to teams outside the top 50? Zero.

I agree that you bowl game sucks. However, while good teams may get upset on occasion they seldom lose to bad teams twice in the same season.

Yet they also beat them both head to head and had a better record against top 25 opponents than both of them.

MaineRed
12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Doesn't change the fact they would be in a better bowl if they took care of business.

You can't lose to teams outside the top 50 and complain. Look at the flak people give LSU for losing to Kentucky and Arkansas?

dougdirt
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Doesn't change the fact they would be in a better bowl if they took care of business.

You can't lose to teams outside the top 50 and complain. Look at the flak people give LSU for losing to Kentucky and Arkansas?

and LSU is likely going to be playing in a BCS bowl. Rightfully so. I just don't think there is a way you can slice it at all and say UC is where they belong against Southern Miss. Even with their bad losses they still went 3-1 vs top 25 teams on the year and the only loss was against a team playing for the National Championship in a game they lost by 5 points. Yeah, they should have won against Pitt and Louisville. Same token though, they shouldn't be playing the#6 conference USA team being 9-3 in the Big East with wins over the teams taken ahead of them.

MaineRed
12-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Not sure "why they shouldn't be playing the number 6 team from Conf. USA". Isn't that an agreement the league they are happy to be a part of, came up with? And nobody said they had to take the invitation.

Where do you want them, the Fiesta Bowl? I'm not sure what people want. You have a minor point about UConn but the other bowl picked UConn for their own reasons. They control the silly season, not the Big East or the NCAA. There were under no obligation to pick Cincy just because they beat UConn. That is not how it works, sorry as that is.

I don't know how under the rules of these bowls you can slice that they belong somewhere else.

dougdirt
12-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Not sure "why they shouldn't be playing the number 6 team from Conf. USA". Isn't that an agreement the league they are happy to be a part of, came up with? And nobody said they had to take the invitation.

Where do you want them, the Fiesta Bowl? I'm not sure what people want. You have a minor point about UConn but the other bowl picked UConn for their own reasons. They control the silly season, not the Big East or the NCAA. There were under no obligation to pick Cincy just because they beat UConn. That is not how it works, sorry as that is.

I don't care where they play, I just wish they were playing someone on the same level of play as them and Southern Miss isn't it.

MaineRed
12-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Well I don't think Pitt or Louisiville is bowl eligible.

It's the deal they have as a member of the Big East.

Look at the teams around them. USA Today projects Texas and Virginia to play each other in the Gator Bowl. The Gator Bowl could have the Bearcats but if you were the Gator Bowl who would you choose?

They've got Auburn going against Mizzou in the Cottom Bowl which is a Big 12/SEC bowl.

They project the Outback Bowl to pit Wisconsin against Tennessee. That is a Big Ten vs. SEC bowl.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bowls.htm

Maybe they "deserve better". But in who's place?

This is why I hate the bowl system. It shouldn't be based on how large your fanbase is and how good you were in 1976.

dougdirt
12-02-2007, 02:52 AM
Pitt isn't so bad I guess..... still should have beaten them though.