PDA

View Full Version : Reds reportedly in on Cordero

Degenerate39
11-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Reds reportedly in on Cordero

Ken Rosenthal of foxsports.com reports that the Reds are one of three clubs in the running for free agent closer Francisco Cordero.

Cordero saved 44 games last year for Milwaukee and had a 2.98 ERA.

I've got a call into Wayne Krivsky. I doubt that he'll comment. But talking to other people with the Reds at the start of free agency, I got an inkling that Cordero was on their list. It makes sense. The club knows it has to upgrade pitching. Cordero would be an instant fix for the bullpen -- at lesser rate than a No. 3 starter. It will cost the Reds if they sign him. Rosenthal, citing sources, says Milwaukee offered Cordero $42 million for four years.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 02:56 PM
I would be pretty happy with this. Money is getting up there but it would improve the team substantially

Degenerate39
11-23-2007, 03:00 PM
I would be pretty happy with this. Money is getting up there but it would improve the team substantially

I think Cordero would end the bullpen troubles.

Cordero as Closer
Weathers as Set up man
Burton as 7th inning pitcher
And the addition of Coutlangus, Bray, Salmon, Pelland maybe.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I think Cordero would end the bullpen troubles.

Cordero as Closer
Weathers as Set up man
Burton as 7th inning pitcher
And the addition of Coutlangus, Bray, Salmon, Pelland maybe.

It wouldnt end it but it would be a big improvement.

Weathers is too valuable in middle innings to be wasting him waiting for the 9th.

Less innings we have to give to guys like Coffey, Stanton, Coutlangus, Salmon, Mcbeth the better.

It would allow the younger guys to develop a bit instead of letting them learn on the job.

jmble
11-23-2007, 03:06 PM
I personally love this idea. Just to add to what's already been said, this is from mlbtraderumors.com

Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Reds have approached closer Francisco Cordero, and that the two sides are working towards a deal. This would figure to top the Brewers current offer of four years, $42 million. This would be a major step for a team that finished 18 games below .500 in baseball's worst division in 2007.

According to Rosenthal, the Reds have emerged as front runners. Competing are the Brewers and a mystery team, possibly the Yankees, who expressed interest in Cordero if Mariano Rivera bolted town. The closer has since returned, though, likely eliminating the Yankees from consideration. The Astros are also believed to be interested in Cordero, though the same can be said for about 80 percent of the free agent market.

This would move David Weathers back to a setup role, where he would fit in well. The Reds bullpen would still be weak, but at least they'd improve on their league-worst 54.8 percent save conversion rate.

It appears that the Reds front office believes the team can contend in the next two years. Why else give big money (and forfeit a second round pick) for a big-name closer? The Reds have considerable young talent in Joey Votto, Josh Hamilton, Jay Bruce, Brandon Phillips, and Edwin Encarnacion, in addition to Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn.

Combined with Scott Hatteberg, who had an effective year in limited duty, the Reds might actually have a logjam of sorts in the outfield and first base. Could they possibly move some of the excess for some pitching help? Adding another bullpen arm or a starter to go along with Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, and Homer Bailey could be the keys to the Reds contention.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I dont know why people are so worried about the rotation though. Harang is as good as your going to get. Arroyo is solid enough to give you a good start most nights, Bailey is a question mark but also has the upside of a freakish levels, Belsile is far from terrible, and I really think Cueto makes the club out of spring training.

Fix the bullpen and this team is very solid.

11-23-2007, 03:30 PM
I dont know why people are so worried about the rotation though. Harang is as good as your going to get. Arroyo is solid enough to give you a good start most nights, Bailey is a question mark but also has the upside of a freakish levels, Belsile is far from terrible, and I really think Cueto makes the club out of spring training.

Fix the bullpen and this team is very solid.

Agreed. The bullpen is the problem. I don't think Cordero is the answer though.

I like him as a set up guy, but he was traded from the Rangers because he choked in nearly every important game, and he did the same with the Brewers. During the stretch last year when the Cubs caught the Brewers, Cordero had four blown saves in two weeks.
Also, a four year deal to a closer is risky. Few relievers have more than 3-4 good years in them (just look at the Reds past relievers...Dibble, Shaw, Brantley, Graves, etc), and Cordero is starting his third year as a closer.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Agreed. The bullpen is the problem. I don't think Cordero is the answer though.

I like him as a set up guy, but he was traded from the Rangers because he choked in nearly every important game, and he did the same with the Brewers. During the stretch last year when the Cubs caught the Brewers, Cordero had four blown saves in two weeks.
Also, a four year deal to a closer is risky. Few relievers have more than 3-4 good years in them (just look at the Reds past relievers...Dibble, Shaw, Brantley, Graves, etc), and Cordero is starting his third year as a closer.

He might choke but does he choke less than our other options :dunno:

Gandalf the Red
11-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Hypothetically:
Wood at 10 million over two years or Cordero for 42-45 million over four?

TC81190
11-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Hypothetically:
Wood at 10 million over two years or Cordero for 42-45 million over four?

Why not both?

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 03:43 PM
id probably go with Cordero. I refuse to trust Wood being healthy for 2 years.

Gandalf the Red
11-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Why not both?

Fine by me. I think I'd actually be more impressed with those two "gets" than any of the FA starters that might be available to the Reds.

mlbfan30
11-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Cordero is not a setup guy at all. He is the power closer that the team needs.
He strikes out more than innings pitched. His highest ERA since 2002 is 3.70 and he has a career 3.29 ERA. One thing that's interesting is that he has a career BABIP of .317, while his career AVG against is .241, which suggests if he has a lucky BABIP one season he might be the best closer in the game. His career HR/9 is 0.64, which is very important in the GABP.

Also he has 177 career saves, so I don't see how you say he is starting his 3rd year closing unless he saved 90 games in the past 2 seasons.

Cordero is proven to be very good since 2002. He is a huge upgrade and is well worth the 12+ mil a year we'd get him for.

11-23-2007, 03:45 PM
He might choke but does he choke less than our other options :dunno:

Agreed. Who knows, he might get better, and if not, maybe everyday eddie or Bry, or Burton will be able to close by mid season? Or possibly pick a closer in a mid season trade.

I would not be upset if they signed him, just a bit cautious.

I do like the fact that they are willing spend big bucks to improve the team.

GoReds33
11-23-2007, 03:46 PM
This would solve the bullpen problems for a while. My only concern is the years. In four years he's going to be another David Weathers.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Agreed. Who knows, he might get better, and if not, maybe everyday eddie or Bry, or Burton will be able to close by mid season? Or possibly pick a closer in a mid season trade.

I would not be upset if they signed him, just a bit cautious.

I do like the fact that they are willing spend big bucks to improve the team.

Id rather get a guy in Free agency, and let the other guys develop. The worst that could happen is we have a solid closer and a lights out staff of guys on the way to him.

Doro
11-23-2007, 03:51 PM
why worried about the rotation? Harang is our only dependable starter. Arroyo did not give us good starts most nights, Bailey is lucky to get through 5 innings, Belise is way too incosistent. We need pitchers everywhere.... rotation and pen and it will take much more than Cordero to solidify our pen. Cordero is a good closer but hes not Mariano Rivera either.

and who are you going to get through free agency? on top of that who are you going to get that you dont have to overpay for.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 03:51 PM
This would solve the bullpen problems for a while. My only concern is the years. In four years he's going to be another David Weathers.

David Weathers was never a power pitcher though was he?

Degenerate39
11-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Rosenthal: Reds frontrunner for Cordero

FoxSports' Ken Rosenthal reports the Reds are the front-runner for closer Francisco Cordero.

Rosenthal is one of the absolute best in the business and has the best sources in the business, so if he's saying it, I trust it. I also don't expect Wayne Krivsky to say anything. Last year Jerry Narron said something about Mike Stanton in the bullpen and Krivsky wouldn't even say anything about him.

But, if the Reds do sign Cordero (and apparently the Brewers are offering him 4 years for $42 million, so I would think the Reds number would be higher to bring him here), that would make the 7-8-9 innings pretty tough with Burton, Weathers and Cordero. Sliding Weathers back to his natural set-up man position would do wonders for the Reds bullpen.

However, when I think of big contracts given to free agent closers, all I can ever think of is Mark Davis, but that's my hang-up. Cordero would be a fantastic addition. It would also show that all of those who have an imaginary salary cap for the Reds payroll are wrong. Bob Castellini looks like he'll spend what he needs to spend.

11-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Cordero is not a setup guy at all. He is the power closer that the team needs.
He strikes out more than innings pitched. His highest ERA since 2002 is 3.70 and he has a career 3.29 ERA. One thing that's interesting is that he has a career BABIP of .317, while his career AVG against is .241, which suggests if he has a lucky BABIP one season he might be the best closer in the game. His career HR/9 is 0.64, which is very important in the GABP.

Also he has 177 career saves, so I don't see how you say he is starting his 3rd year closing unless he saved 90 games in the past 2 seasons.

Cordero is proven to be very good since 2002. He is a huge upgrade and is well worth the 12+ mil a year we'd get him for.

You are right about him being a closer for four years, not two. That means he's been closing for even longer, which means that he is even more likely to burn out sooner.

Also, there have been plenty of power set up men, and plenty of non-power closers. The only quality I look for in a closer over a set up man is mentality. Can he handle pressure? That is why I like Cordero as a set-up guy. Still, I won't complain if he is the Reds closer next year.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 03:53 PM
why worried about the rotation? Harang is our only dependable starter. Arroyo did not give us good starts most nights, Bailey is lucky to get through 5 innings, Belise is way too incosistent. We need pitchers everywhere.... rotation and pen and it will take much more than Cordero to solidify our pen. Cordero is a good closer but hes not Mariano Rivera either.

Depends on your point of view honestly. Bailey was very good in the games he wasnt injured and Arroyo had a very rought stretch of games last year but he did give us a lot of innings and with our line up thats what matters most.

fewfirstchoice
11-23-2007, 03:59 PM
If the Brewers are offering 4yr 42 mil Cincy would probably have to offer something like 4yr 45mil or 5yr 50mil to get Cordero.I really like the guy as a closer and think he would help the Reds greatly next year.Remember we lost most of our games in the 8th and 9th innings last year.If the Reds had Cordero last year they are a playoff team.He will help a great deal trust me.

Bigredfan#1
11-23-2007, 04:01 PM
IMHO this is the Red's greatest need, put him there last year and see how much difference he would have made. He had a few bad weeks but was dominant the rest of the time!! May have got tired or just out of sync for a few weeks but he was awesome the rest of the year. He will make a major difference in the Reds if healthy. This is what I have been waiting to hear, hoping to hear! Weathers will do better as setup or 7th inning pitcher. Bailey has some growing pains but he will be fine. Belisle showed some signs of being a decent pitcher, was even dominant in a game or two. I don't think they will rush Cueto, but he is a keeper. SIGN CORDERO and it gives us a chance to win the NLC!

mlbfan30
11-23-2007, 04:22 PM
You are right about him being a closer for four years, not two. That means he's been closing for even longer, which means that he is even more likely to burn out sooner.

Also, there have been plenty of power set up men, and plenty of non-power closers. The only quality I look for in a closer over a set up man is mentality. Can he handle pressure? That is why I like Cordero as a set-up guy. Still, I won't complain if he is the Reds closer next year.

He broke into the big leagues at 24, and has averaged 73 IP per 162 games. He hasn't been overused, and hasn't even pitched that long. You think a guy who has more saves than Joe Nathan doesn't have closer mentality? He's had 1 bad month in the past 4 years!
In 2006 he had 5 BS in a 8 game span. He had 6 BS for the rest of the season. You can't penalize him for having a bad 2 weeks in a span of 5+ years. He is one of the best closers in baseball, not some setup guy. You think Weathers is better? LOL

Redus
11-23-2007, 04:25 PM
He's the only free agent I thought we could really use. He'd solidify the pen with everyone sliding down a inning. It would be a great signing.

GoReds33
11-23-2007, 04:35 PM
David Weathers was never a power pitcher though was he?Not that I know of, but he had to have some gas at some point. I think Guardado would be a better comparison. He usto have a real good arm.

Degenerate39
11-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Not that I know of, but he had to have some gas at some point. I think Guardado would be a better comparison. He usto have a real good arm.

Too bad Guardado is a free agent now

11-23-2007, 05:05 PM
He broke into the big leagues at 24, and has averaged 73 IP per 162 games. He hasn't been overused, and hasn't even pitched that long. You think a guy who has more saves than Joe Nathan doesn't have closer mentality? He's had 1 bad month in the past 4 years!
In 2006 he had 5 BS in a 8 game span. He had 6 BS for the rest of the season. You can't penalize him for having a bad 2 weeks in a span of 5+ years. He is one of the best closers in baseball, not some setup guy. You think Weathers is better? LOL

First, never said Weathers was better, even said I wouldn't mind him as a closer since he is better than what we have.

Second, closers don't become ineffective from overuse, they lose it because other teams have adjusted to them. Not saying that will happen to Cordero, just saying that the odds are that it will sometime in the next four years.

Third, in 2006, he lost his closer role, which is why he only had one more BS that year. He didn't get it back until he was traded to the Brewers at the end of the year. I wouldn't be bringing up a year that a guy lost his closer role as proof that he is a good closer.
In 2007, when the Cubs were closing in on the Brewers, he had 4 BS in 11 opp. That was one of the reasons why the Brewers folded. So that is at least two bad months in the last four years.

Basically, this guy has a history of folding under pressure, not a characteristic you want in a closer. Still he is better than what the Reds have now, so I will be happy if they sign him. I just would not be surprised if he loses his closer status early in the contract.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:34 PM
4 years 46 million

Way to go Bob for spending some cash!

The Cincinnati Reds, making their first big acquisition of the Dusty Baker era, have reached a preliminary agreement with free-agent closer Francisco Cordero on a four-year, $46-million contract, major-league sources say.

captainmorgan07
11-23-2007, 05:36 PM
for once this club needs to fork out the cash for a big name player. He would make our bullpen so much better. As stated before most of our loses came in the late innings this moves weathers to the 8th and burton to the 7th. For once this club needs to outbid somebody on a big name free agent.

mlbfan30
11-23-2007, 05:36 PM
They need to spend money to get talent, and I'd much rather get the best pitcher on the market rather than a mediocre Carlos Silva or Kyle Loshe.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Money aside i love the deal. Its not my money so i couldnt care less what they spend

scuba17
11-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Almost 12 million a year for a closer? Really?

Cordero away form Miller Park last year was 0-4, 6.55 ERA and .337 BAA.

The rest of the NL Central loves this deal.

OldRed1966
11-23-2007, 05:44 PM
4 years 46 million

Way to go Bob for spending some cash!

Where did you get that quote?

TC81190
11-23-2007, 05:45 PM

In 20 IP. Yeah, love that sample size.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:47 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7480854

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:48 PM

considering it was that awful stretch when he blew how ever many games out of 8 or what ever those numbers dont surprise me.

scuba17
11-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Still, he's 33, not 26.

This is ridiculous.

You have to go by small sample sizes with closers...

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Still, he's 33, not 26.

This is ridiculous.

You have to go by small sample sizes with closers...

hes 32

thatcoolguy_22
11-23-2007, 06:01 PM

check foxsports.com its reported by Ken Rosenthal

My take on the situation...

Great signing by WK and Cast. Cordero will solidify the backend of the bullpen easily and, like everyone else said bump everyone back a slot.

However, I think we will see Burton stay in the 8th inning IMO and Weathers fall to the 7th. Burton was lightsout the last 3 months of the year there. Burton boasts a fastball that reacts like a cutter that stays between 91 and 94 but can touch 95 when needed. The only other pitcher I can think of that throws a cut fastball in the low 90's is Mariano... (And I'm not saying that JB is the next Rivera)

Weathers definitely has the mentality to play in the uber pressure situations (8th and 9th) but I feel that with his styleof pitching he is more suited to be a 7th inning guy as oppose to a set-up man. He will still probably throw in the 8th and possibly close a few games for us as well but judging by pure "stuff" I think JB is the man for the 8th.

Now back to the signing and what this signifies... Castellini is actually going to pay what is needed to make this a winning franchise again like he promised us all when he bought the redlegs 2 years ago.

I still think we will see more moves made this offseason but, we are probably finished as far as free agent signings go (I'm more than happy with the best FA pitcher available BTW). The next few moves WK will probably pursue will be to add a #2/3 (if not a 1... I always wonder why people assume we need a true 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5... wouldn't you rather have 5 number 1's ;) just saying) but trading away some of our surplus of OF and minor league talent. Personally I would package Johnny Cueto (or Homer Bailey) along with Josh Hamilton and EE for someone along the lines of Bedard or Kazmir (if that could get it done that is...) However there were talks on ORG that Ian Snell (obviously offering a lesser package than the one previously mentioned) is available and he would easily fit the mold of what this team needs as would; Garza, Lester, Blanton, or any of the dozens of young pitching prospects that are currently being discussed that have already proven something in the show.

my 2 cents

Great move by WK!!!!!

scuba17
11-23-2007, 06:01 PM
hes 32

Point is this, he will spend the majority of the 08 season at 33 (birthday in May).

Just not confident this deal will be so well thought off a few years from now.

Reds should concentrate on locking up guys like Phillips, Dunn, Encarnacion, and soon Bruce.

Not blowing money on closers who may only appear in half your games.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Point is this, he will spend the majority of the 08 season at 33 (birthday in May).

Just not confident this deal will be so well thought off a few years from now.

Reds should concentrate on locking up guys like Phillips, Dunn, Encarnacion, and soon Bruce.

Not blowing money on closers who may only appear in half your games.

Yea we are much better off hoping for the best and losing 90 games again.

If they are willing to sign Cordero im quite sure they are willing to keep other guys around. They have done this with Harang and Arroyo already.

scuba17
11-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Yea we are much better off hoping for the best and losing 90 games again.

If they are willing to sign Cordero im quite sure they are willing to keep other guys around. They have done this with Harang and Arroyo already.

Is it that much better than being around .500? Which is where they will likely be again.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Is it that much better than being around .500? Which is where they will likely be again.

Id love to see the ideas you would consider good to do. Besides locking up guys...

Really this helps us a ton, Weathers is too valuable as middle relief to be closing, not to mention he was skimming in his outing late last year.

Dracodave
11-23-2007, 06:11 PM

Wrong. A good closer last season, instead of running out guys who werent suited for the eigth and ninth innings..only converting 50%ish of saves, and barely got the ball to the closer.

You put Weathers and Burton..mixed in with McBeth to get the ball to Cordero and that 50ish jumps to about 80%ish..Which gives us another 10-15 wins..Which right now..puts us in contention.

The offense contistently keeps us in games...the bullpen didnt. Fix the bullpen with good players and viola..you have half the problem.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 06:13 PM
this also doesnt factor in games that were close and then put out of reach by our bullpen being awful.

This deal just doesnt make the closer role better it makes the rest of the bullpen better.

scuba17
11-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Id love to see the ideas you would consider good to do. Besides locking up guys...

Really this helps us a ton, Weathers is too valuable as middle relief to be closing, not to mention he was skimming in his outing late last year.

Trusting Weathers is a bad idea. I think the horse has been ridden long enough.

Your right, there isn't a ton of starting pitching on the FA market. Cordero was the big fish reliever out there. I personally just don't advocate spending large chunks of money on closers. More times than not, the bigger innings can occur in the 6-7-8.

This just gives Dusty a new toy, the "proven closer". Closers are flukey.

I'm not saying I'm 100% right here, I could be dead wrong. But hey, thats what message boards are for.

:)

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Trusting Weathers is a bad idea. I think the horse has been ridden long enough.

Your right, there isn't a ton of starting pitching on the FA market. Cordero was the big fish reliever out there. I personally just don't advocate spending large chunks of money on closers. More times than not, the bigger innings can occur in the 6-7-8.

This just gives Dusty a new toy, the "proven closer". Closers are flukey.

I'm not saying I'm 100% right here, I could be dead wrong. But hey, thats what message boards are for.

:)
This deal give us a better options durring the 6-7-8 now though. I think thats what you might be missing.

There isnt any middle relievers out there so we turned our own guys into middle relievers by adding Cordero.

This makes the whole bullpen more valuable imo. Building it from the back is something we havent done for years.

Dracodave
11-23-2007, 06:20 PM
This deal give us a better options durring the 6-7-8 now though. I think thats what you might be missing.

There isnt any middle relievers out there so we turned our own guys into middle relievers by adding Cordero.

This makes the whole bullpen more valuable imo. Building it from the back is something we havent done for years.

It worked with Guardado for awhile. The amazing run the bullpen had when he was healthy.

Bip Roberts
11-23-2007, 06:21 PM
GM Wayne Krivsky wouldn't confirm that, but said: "We're having conversations. It takes two sides to get a deal done."

CEO Bob Castellini said: "We have not signed a contract with Cordero."

Have you agreed to a contract in principle?

"We have not signed a contract with Cordero?" Castellini said.

Semantics aside, this all tells me that this is very close to happening.

The fact the Reds are talking to Cordero says they have money to spend on the free agents.

"I'll let you make that assumption," Krivsky said. "You look at the closer's market and he's one of top guys."

Tight lip like always haha

goodwilly98
11-23-2007, 06:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3124583

Looks like we got him!

Will M
11-23-2007, 06:28 PM
1. The Reds have money to spend. They need pitching. Cordero is the best reliever on the market. I like the Reds going after him.

2. As others have said this would slot Weathers into a set up role where he is better suited.

3. The Cards & Astros are in a bit of a decline. The Brew crew are on the rise. Taking a closer from a intra division rival is a big deal

thatcoolguy_22
11-23-2007, 06:38 PM
1. The Reds have money to spend. They need pitching. Cordero is the best reliever on the market. I like the Reds going after him.

We all agree here. I would rather see us make 1 big splash in the FA world than dump 6 million a year each on the likes of Wood or Percival only to have another 5 million spent on the Juan Castros, Mike stantons and, Bubba Crosbys of the world.

2. As others have said this would slot Weathers into a set up role where he is better suited.

Weathers should be a 7th inning guy with Burton and his 90+ mph cutter in the 8th

3. The Cards & Astros are in a bit of a decline. The Brew crew are on the rise. Taking a closer from a intra division rival is a big deal

The Brew Crew already had a weak bullpen as it was and now after losing their set-up man and closer they are the Cincinnati Reds circa 2001... All sorts of stick in the lineup but forced to win games 632-541 or 10-9 either way...

my reponses inred

All we need to do is trade some youth for a top of the rotation guy and we just might be the favorites for the NL Central this year!!!

:cool::beerme:

mlbfan30
11-23-2007, 07:46 PM
I like Burton better for the 7th, or any high leverage situations.
The Indians were very smart in that they had their best reliever pitch in the most critical situations. Thats why Bowoski was the closer, they didnt trust him when the game mattered the most.
Usually the SP gets in trouble and you need some guy to keep the runners stranded. In that situation Burton is probably a lot better.
I would like to get another top RP like Wood, but I think at least 1 of the big 3 in RP prospects, Roenicke, Pelland, and Viola could make very nice impact next year.

*BaseClogger*
11-23-2007, 10:00 PM
I like Burton better for the 7th, or any high leverage situations.
The Indians were very smart in that they had their best reliever pitch in the most critical situations. Thats why Bowoski was the closer, they didnt trust him when the game mattered the most.
Usually the SP gets in trouble and you need some guy to keep the runners stranded. In that situation Burton is probably a lot better.
I would like to get another top RP like Wood, but I think at least 1 of the big 3 in RP prospects, Roenicke, Pelland, and Viola could make very nice impact next year.

I did advocate pursueing Wood before this signing, but with so much money locked into a 32 year old releiver, I don't think we can afford to roll the dice on Kerry's health anymore... This signing is a positive sign though, although I remain skeptical that we will be talking positively about Cordero in 4 years...

*BaseClogger*
11-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Some people have said that Cordero is "no Mariano Rivera"... by this do you mean Rivera in his prime or the Rivera that was on the market last week? Because at this point, I do beleive that Cordero is the better pitcher or at least close moving forward...