PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Freakin' Road Rage Idiots

SteelSD
11-26-2007, 01:42 AM
Ok. So today I was driving home and reached a stop sign one house down from where I live. I stop there slightly ahead of a black truck at the stop sign on my left. From there, I move into the intersection and notice that the truck didn't actually stop at the stop sign. At that point, I had two options:

1. Hit the brakes and risk being hit on the driver's side.

2. Accelerate into my street knowing that the guy has enough time to stop after he sees me.

So I took option 2. But the guy doesn't stop. In fact, he accelerates. Yeah. He sped up. Apparently, he got so ticked off after I (with the right-of-way) pulled out in front of his faux "California Stop" that he tried to rush right through me. Was he drunk? I dunno. That's a legit concern on a Sunday around 4:00 PM in these parts. Football and all. But he was sure stupid. No accident, thankfully. I swerved at the last nano-second to avoid a two-car crunch. And keep in mind that the speed limit on my street is 15 miles per hour. There's no way this moron could have possibly been unable to avoid me pulling out from a stop sign.

Oh, but it doesn't stop there...

I pull into my driveway and notice that he's stopped his truck about 20 feet past my property. From there, he gets out of the truck and literally sprints up to my car (on my property) yelling, "You got a problem with me?!" over and over again. Like the smart guy I am, I stayed in the car with the doors locked and just tried to calm him down. Luckily, my brain overcame my instincts at this point. I wanted to get out of the car and beat this guy down in a proper fashion for trying to crash into me and then coming onto my property in an offensive posture, but there's no advantage to be gained from a poor offensive position. My insticts were all offense but my brain went all "Sun Tzu".

As an aside, I've been kidnapped and had bullets flying a foot over my head. I've dealt with random fights thoughout my life. But don't get out of the car in this situation ever. Don't care how tough you are. You just never know exactly how crazy the other guy is. He is an unknown quantity. And if the guy is right outside your door, you're in an awful offensive and defensive position.

So moving on...

Then the dude grabs the car door as if he's going to pull me out of the car. It's locked, but it's not like he's been smart so far. Like I said...crazy. So I reach for my cell to call 911, my wife comes out of the house, and the pudgy little mullet-haired mustachioed white-trash moron figures out he needs to leave, but not before he points a finger at me and exclaims, "You've been warned!" Yeah. Apparently, I'd been warned not to pull into an intersection while having the right of way in front of a possibly-drunk ill-mannered sub-human. That ranks up there with "Don't play with uranium" on my list of potentially-useful advice.

But here's the kicker...

Rather than driving around the block a couple times, the dolt actually pulls into his own driveway about a block down the street. That allows us to jump into our other car- camcorder and notebook in-hand- and identify his truck, licence number, and home address. Yeah, we call the cops. Seriously, had the guy just gone down a few blocks then driven around a while, we'd have gone inside. Wouldn't have the plate, truck type (other than "black"), or address.

Anyone else have something like this happen? If so, I'd love to hear your story, what you did about it, and the aftermath.

Johnny Footstool
11-26-2007, 01:18 PM
No fireworks here, but a whole different kind of idiocy.

I was turning onto a neighborhood street behind another car. My then-pregnant wife was in the passenger seat. The speed limit is 30 mph.

The car in front of me turns at about 5 mph and doesn't accelerate. At all. He maintains the 5 mph speed for about 500 feet. I accelerated *as one normally would* (not lead-footing it), and end up having to slow down to avoid rear-ending the guy.

No, I hadn't been tailgating the guy beforehand. He had been waiting to turn left at the light for some time before I pulled up behind him. But at this point, I did get too close to him for a brief moment because, silly me, I expected him to actually drive instead of creep along.

He travels about two blocks at this speed. I'm cursing, and my wife is cursing. I'm maintaining the two-second following distance required by law, but at 5 mph, that distance is pretty short. Finally, the guy signals to turn left. And stops. No traffic. He just stops.

Then he starts to turn. I start to move forward. He stops again. He's clearly trying to provoke me. I swerve around him and honk.

He comes after me. I turn on my street, and he follows, so I pull over a few houses short of my place. He pulls up behind me and gets out of his car. I tell my wife to grab her cell phone, then I roll down the window and start telling the guy to get back in his car. He is an average, middle-aged guy and is relatively calm, but he proceeds to say something about, "You probably don't understand because you probably don't have children, but I've got two little girls in the car, and..."

My wife and I both cut him off with a chorus of "You've got kids in the car, and you think it's a good idea to start a confrontation by driving like a jerk, following someone home, and getting out of your car?"

He doesn't quite see the irony of the situation, and he continues telling me that I was right on his bumper.

I explain (yell) I was on his bumper because he was going 5 mph in a 30 mph zone. I also explain (yell, but not as loudly now) that he's extremely lucky I'm a nice person, because I could just as easily have been a drunken idiot who would have beaten him senseless and left him bleeding in the street while his two little daughters watched.

That finally seemed to register, and he turned and went back to his car muttering something about "don't follow so close". My wife and I just laughed.

LoganBuck
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
I once had a situation similar to Steel's while in college, but I drove about 50 feet and pulled into my fraternity house parking lot. The dude obviously intoxicated in some manner, decided he was going to chase me down. I had gotten out of my car before I realized what was going on. He caught on real quick after he got out of his early nineties Honda Accord, that he had bit off more than he could chew, because I had 4 inches, and probably 60 pounds on the guy, and at the same time a group of my fraternity brothers were walking around the corner. He got back in his car and left fast, yelling "You better learn about taking turns punk". Obviously he was a follower of Emily Post.

CrackerJack
11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
The vast majority of problems I have with other drivers involve those who drive pick ups for some reason....they tend to be angry, impatient, drive like maniacs, and scary stupid.

Apologies to those who drive them, who don't fit that growing stereotype. Heck I drove one for a while in college.

Live over in Clermont County for a while and you'll know what I mean possibly.

vaticanplum
11-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I think I AM one of those people. I am not a patient driver. A fairly good one, I think, but completely intolerant of other drivers.

acredsfan
11-26-2007, 04:07 PM
The vast majority of problems I have with other drivers involve those who drive pick ups for some reason....they tend to be angry, impatient, drive like maniacs, and scary stupid.

Apologies to those who drive them, who don't fit that growing stereotype. Heck I drove one for a while in college.

Live over in Clermont County for a while and you'll know what I mean possibly.I drive one, but I know exactly what you are talking about. Usually the problems I have are from people who try to intimidate other people into speeding up or getting over. I have been know to help out other people who are being taunted. I like to block people in who are going way too fast and driving way too irratically. I don't do it if it would cause a real danger to anybody though. I also hate when the right lane clearly ends when getting onto 71 N from Smith Edwards, but people still come flying up the right lane in heavy traffic as because they are apparently in a bigger hurry to get home than the rest of us. They proceed to try to squeeze in further up in the line. I don't let people like that get in front of me and that has gotten plenty of people mad at me. There is a difference between being in the wrong lane and not realizing it and intentionally getting over to get ahead of your fellow motorists because you think your time is more important than others.

On Clough, people apparenly think that when someone is turning left on green and another person from the other side is turning right, the person turning left has the right of way. That has happened to me twice in the last few days. If I hadn't been watching, there would have been an accident.

32 has more than it's share of stupid people. I've had plenty of people do their best to kill me and other people, especially around the 275 exits. You can be as careful as you want, but you can't prevent stupid. People changing lanes every 5 seconds and driving way to fast in bad conditions are what causes most of the accidents that slow the rest of us up when we try to get home.

dougdirt
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Steel, you are stronger than I am. Maybe its my youth.... but if someone walked to my car like that at least one of us would have been going to jail within the next 25 minutes. You made the right decision of course.... people are crazy though. How did that guy know that you weren't a lunatic who carries a gun in the car with him? He does that to the wrong person and he isn't walking back to his car.

Roy Tucker
11-26-2007, 04:27 PM
If people are driving like an idiot, I move over and let them by. If they want to do something stupid, they are more than welcome to it as long as they don't involve me.

I figure that if you drive that stupidly long enough, that person will get their just rewards. They'll get a ticket or get killed soon enough.

I can't think of anything more stupid than to get into a shouting match, a fight, a wreck, get shot, etc. all because of you don't like how someone drives. I mean, why does it prove?

Ltlabner
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
My only controbution, and it's pretty mild, is that when someone zooms up behind me rides my bumper I like to hit the windshield washer fluid.....for a good long time....... I might have even read about that trick here on RZ. In any event, it usually gets the point across and they back off.

paintmered
11-26-2007, 05:10 PM
"The only thing we all have in common is that we all think we are above average drivers."

vaticanplum
11-26-2007, 05:19 PM
"The only thing we all have in common is that we all think we are above average drivers."

I actually think I am a fairly average driver. I just think that almost everybody else is way, way below average.

WMR
11-26-2007, 06:54 PM
What is up with people driving right at or even five miles below the speed limit in the left-hand lane????

Betterread
11-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Emotion should be separated from operating any kind of moving vehicle. Many people fail to understand that while you own a vehicle, you share the road in order to operate that vehicle as a means of transportation. Using the road is a privilege, not a right. I don't get annoyed at irregular driving - because it is everywhere. You have to be aware at all times of what drivers around you are doing.

vaticanplum
11-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Emotion should be separated from operating any kind of moving vehicle. Many people fail to understand that while you own a vehicle, you share the road in order to operate that vehicle as a means of transportation. Using the road is a privilege, not a right. I don't get annoyed at irregular driving - because it is everywhere. You have to be aware at all times of what drivers around you are doing.

I think you're right; I wish I could be that even-tempered about it. Honestly I think the road just bears the brunt of my venting. I am very diplomatic at work and try very hard not to fight with people I care about; I get into maybe one or two fights a year with people I know. So I yell at the idiots on the road instead. I see them as more deserving than anyone else since I'm also neurotic about time and I see them as often taking time and energy away from me (not because of lack of speed, just sheer idiocy). I do try not to let it affect the actual WAY that I drive -- and I'm very careful and aware -- but it's the rare trip in the car in which I don't become enraged at some godawful driver who stops in the middle of an intersection or tailgates or weaves and doesn't use his turn signal or speeds outrageously or crawls ridiculously or forgets that deer use this road too. Your car is a weapon, dude. It is not made out of a cloud. If you are stupid or in attentive (don't even get me started on the cell phone drivers), your weapon will hurt someone.

It's a somewhat arbitrary venting outlet. I whined all the time when I rode public transportation too, and I love public transportation.

11-26-2007, 08:24 PM
I think it was Grorge Carlin who said something like everyone who drives faster than him is a maniac and everyone who drives slower is an idiot.

HumnHilghtFreel
11-26-2007, 08:26 PM
I curse... a lot... when driving and someone does something dumb, or cuts me off, but I don't necessarily think I'm an aggressive driver. Then again people usually say I should be in Formula 1 after they've been in my passenger seat.

oneupper
11-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I had a little road rage problem the other day.

Going through an intersection -light was green- when a car coming the opposite way makes a quick left (no signal), forcing me to hit the brakes. I blast my horn and watch as a 90 year old, 5 foot (at most) little old lady flips me the bird.

I just cracked up laughing.

MaineRed
11-26-2007, 10:18 PM
What is up with people driving right at or even five miles below the speed limit in the left-hand lane????

It is the country you live in. People are simply moronic and when they get behind the wheel of an automobile it all shines through.

I would say the percentage of good drivers is right around the percentage of good looking people, 4-6%. If you are reading this there is a 95% chance that you suck rocks when driving a car.

If you weren't offended by that last comment, congrats on being part of the 5% of good drivers.

The slowness in the left lane drives me absolutely up a tree. I always give these people the WTF is the matter with you stink eye as I pass them on the right.

I also have exit door rage from time to time. In Boston the other day we were following this family of bumbling idiots on our way out of a building. Well they get directly outside the door and stop to have a pow wow on where to go next. I've had it with these idiots so in a your company's computer guy voice, I say, "EXCUSE ME". The lady got all offended and told me to take it easy. Whatever. Don't be so dumb that you think the outside off an exit door of a very busy shopping center is the place to stop for a picnic.

I'm not one who can tolerate ignorance just because there is a lot of it. Sorry.

George Foster
11-26-2007, 11:02 PM
At an intersection, I was waiting for the light to turn and I hear this banging on my window, it's dark. This punk was cussing me to get out of my car because I cut him off. I don't even remember it. I pulled out my trusty 38 rolled down my window and said, " If you don't want your mother picking out your funeral clothes tonight, I'd get back in my car if I were you." He got the message. I love rural Kentucky:thumbup::thumbup:

Yachtzee
11-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Whenever I have some road rage idiot come up to my car, I just tell him that I don't have the droids he's looking for. They always leave me alone and go about their business after that. ;)

MaineRed
11-26-2007, 11:16 PM
At an intersection, I was waiting for the light to turn and I hear this banging on my window, it's dark. This punk was cussing me to get out of my car because I cut him off. I don't even remember it. I pulled out my trusty 38 rolled down my window and said, " If you don't want your mother picking out your funeral clothes tonight, I'd get back in my car if I were you." He got the message. I love rural Kentucky:thumbup::thumbup:

Just out of curiosity, if he said why don't you put the gun down, get out of the car and say that, what would you have done?

Shot him?

George Foster
11-26-2007, 11:30 PM
Just out of curiosity, if he said why don't you put the gun down, get out of the car and say that, what would you have done?

Shot him?

I would still try and call his bluff and set the trigger. Kentucky has a law that you can use deadly force if you feel your life is in danger. I was scared to death of this guy. It was dark, there was the orange intersection light, but it was not that bright. I guessed I scared him as well. He just turned around and went back to his car. We were the only 2 cars at the intersection.

I have thought about it a lot sense it happened in 06. If he would have been anymore aggressive toward me I think I would of shot him. My heart was beating out of my chest. Like I said I think about it alot. I'm glad I had my gun.

Several of my friends are state troopers and they said I did exactly the right thing, especially since there were no other cars.
The guy could of had a brick or anything. Getting out the weapon quickly was the right thing to do.

MaineRed
11-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Fair enough.

pedro
11-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I love rural Kentucky:thumbup::thumbup:

It sounds really great.

Betterread
11-27-2007, 12:15 AM
I would still try and call his bluff and set the trigger. Kentucky has a law that you can use deadly force if you feel your life is in danger. I was scared to death of this guy. It was dark, there was the orange intersection light, but it was not that bright. I guessed I scared him as well. He just turned around and went back to his car. We were the only 2 cars at the intersection.

I have thought about it a lot sense it happened in 06. If he would have been anymore aggressive toward me I think I would of shot him. My heart was beating out of my chest. Like I said I think about it alot. I'm glad I had my gun.

Several of my friends are state troopers and they said I did exactly the right thing, especially since there were no other cars.
The guy could of had a brick or anything. Getting out the weapon quickly was the right thing to do.

Killing a person is a very significant act that affects the lives of many people - you and your family would have to live with the guilt of making a mistake of using inordinate means to protect yourself.
The next time you make a threat to kill someone, you really should think about whether it is necessary to make the threat. You obviously think you were justified. Remember there's a difference between a state trooper's training and judgment and a citizen who is infrequently (hopefully) in pressure situations.

George Foster
11-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Killing a person is a very significant act that affects the lives of many people - you and your family would have to live with the guilt of making a mistake of using inordinate means to protect yourself.
The next time you make a threat to kill someone, you really should think about whether it is necessary to make the threat. You obviously think you were justified. Remember there's a difference between a state trooper's training and judgment and a citizen who is infrequently (hopefully) in pressure situations.

I would of felt zero guilt if he had assaulted me. My life would of been in danger and my #1 responsibility is to get home safely. I would of put a hole in his head, period. Again I have given hours of thought to this. I was actually in that situation. He was not going to drag me out of that car. In retrospect, I should of not rolled down the window, just because he could of hit me with anything.

If anything would of happened, it would of been his fault. I was not the aggressor. We were alone at a rural intersection. There would of been no one to pull him off of me, no reason to quit beating.

To be honest, this conversation is moot...the gun did exactly what it was suppose to do...equalize the situation and make the aggressor come to his senses. The good guy had the gun to protect himself, not to commit a crime.

If you think about it, the guy had to be nuts to walk up to a car, at night, with no weapon, and start beating on tented windows.

vaticanplum
11-27-2007, 12:33 AM
I think my road rage isn't really as bad as I thought.

George Foster
11-27-2007, 12:39 AM
I think my road rage isn't really as bad as I thought.

:D:D:D:D glad to hear from you Vaticanplum...hope your still walking with your mom.

Caseyfan21
11-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Oh man, I have two great stories, one from this past weekend and one from last winter.

I'll start with this past weekend. My girlfriend and I were driving back to her house on 129 near Hamilton there. We were going right about 60 mph there (speed limit is 65). I get in the right lane to get off at the 747 exit and there is a car going slower in front of me so with her in the car I decide to just fall in line behind rather than zoom around. Well, I keep approaching and approaching...I finally am going 35 mph and still gaining on this car. We were both wondering if something is wrong with the car or there is an emergency situation...who goes 30 mph on a highway? So as I finally get around the car to get on my exit I take a glance over. There's a tiny little old lady who is not only trying to operate her vehicle but also talk on her 1980's era phone. Absolutely hilarious...I couldn't even get very mad it was so funny.

I also had a scary encounter last winter in Columbus. I had driven two of my roommates to pick up a pizza and I had a few other errands so I just dropped them off in front of my house. We live in the university district with narrow streets and curb parking. So I couldn't really pull over...I just sort of stopped since no traffic was coming. Well, in the few seconds it takes to for them to get out a truck comes zooming up behind me with the brights shining. Really idiotic.... So I sort of wave the guy past me since I have my flashers on and no traffic is coming the other way. So he goes past me, then stops and reverses so he's next to me. I'm half paying attention and half making sure my roommates get out ok so I can pull away. So they get out and I pull away.

I didn't realize it but they told me later the idiot had gotten out of his truck and was approaching my car. The only logical solution I can think of is that he mistook my hand wave for a finger or something. So after I started to pull away he sprinted back into his truck and started following me all the way down the street tailgating me like an absolute idiot. I just drove along the speed limit and made a turn and he kept after me. I was getting freaked out so I turned into a campus parking garage where I have a monthly permit figuring he wouldn't follow me in there. He didn't but he parked across the street. So I just cruised through the garage and went out other side and drove on another street and as I passed by I saw he was still sitting there. That was kind of scary....but nothing every came of it because I left school the next week to go work for a quarter. My roommates or I have never seen the truck again.

kaldaniels
11-27-2007, 01:16 AM

Assaulting someone sitting in their car at an intersection is asking to be killed if you ask me. You do that to a stranger...lets face it...you are rolling the dice.

SteelSD
11-27-2007, 01:28 AM

Hindsight is great, but when put into a situation like the one George Foster described, fight-or-flight behavior takes over. At that point, the vast majority of people are simply interested in survival by any means possible. When that state happens, a person has an incredibly difficult (nearly impossible) time engaging their brain's logic center. State Troopers are held to a higher standard because they're trained in how to deal with a threat while suppressing fight-or-flight responses (which are pretty near autonomic in nature). Your average citizen is not, and it's why you see what you call "inordinate means" utilized against aggressors.

I agree that GF needs to "think" a bit more if he's faced with a similar situation in the future, but that's only a reasonable request if he can somehow train his brain to avoid the "fight-or-flight" response "next time".

Even though I've trained myself to stay out of that response, at the time I found myself wishing that I had a gun in the car during the assault I described in my original post. That wish was fleeting, but it was there.

Like I said, it's easy to evaluate someone's response to a threat using hindsight, but unless you've actually lived the moment it's much much harder to figure out how you'd actually have responded.

Patrick Bateman
11-27-2007, 01:31 AM
If there was clearly nobody around, simply driving away, through the intersection might have been a safer option than elevating the confrontation. Depends on the situation.

George Foster
11-27-2007, 01:41 AM
If there was clearly nobody around, simply driving away, through the intersection might have been a safer option than elevating the confrontation. Depends on the situation.

The light was red.:D I agree, it retrospect....I should of driven off. Knowing my luck I would have t-boned someone and been charged with vehicular homicide, and then the crazy guy would of pulled me out of my car and beat the crap out of me.:eek:

Pulling off did not even occur to me at the time.

11-27-2007, 01:49 AM
[QUOTE=George Foster;1502850]

If anything would of happened, it would of been his fault. I was not the aggressor. We were alone at a rural intersection. There would of been no one to pull him off of me, no reason to quit beating.
QUOTE]

George, do you automatically assume you need a gun to defend yourself? Not that you should have challenged this guy to a round of fisticuffs, but can you defend yourself without risking getting your gun taken away and used on you?

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 09:15 AM
More surprising to me than pulling out the gun is the fact that there was a loaded gun in the car to begin with.

RANDY IN INDY
11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
If he had a permit, he was and is fully within his rights.

Yachtzee
11-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Ohio has a concealed carry law as well.

BoydsOfSummer
11-27-2007, 10:18 AM
It sounds really great.

It's no Portland Oregon where the truly evolved and sophisticated congregate.

BoydsOfSummer
11-27-2007, 10:22 AM
I got rear ended while getting coffee at McDonalds this morning. I thought I handled it great, considering he shoved my bumper up into my tailgate and now it won't open. It woke me up better than the coffee. :doh:

westofyou
11-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Evidently you've never been to Oregon eh?

Jaycint
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM

I actually have run into the opposite problem.

This is my biggest pet peeve in the world, let me set the scene.

I'm in the left lane, speed limit 65-70, I'm already going 75-80. Look in the rear view mirror and yep sure enough, here comes random soccer mom, teenage guy, constipated businessman, etc etc, gaining on me like I'm going in reverse. I'm already breaking the speed limit myself by 5-10 miles an hour but here comes Mr. "My time is more important than yours, get out of my self centered way".

That's really the only situation on the road where my blood pressure goes through the roof but most of the time I just give them the "I'd end you if it wouldn't cost me my freedom" look as they blow by on my right.

Johnny Footstool
11-27-2007, 11:10 AM
I actually have run into the opposite problem.

This is my biggest pet peeve in the world, let me set the scene.

I'm in the left lane, speed limit 65-70, I'm already going 75-80. Look in the rear view mirror and yep sure enough, here comes random soccer mom, teenage guy, constipated businessman, etc etc, gaining on me like I'm going in reverse. I'm already breaking the speed limit myself by 5-10 miles an hour but here comes Mr. "My time is more important than yours, get out of my self centered way".

That's really the only situation on the road where my blood pressure goes through the roof but most of the time I just give them the "I'd end you if it wouldn't cost me my freedom" look as they blow by on my right.

I set my speed 5-7 mph above the speed limit, depending on the flow of traffic. Usually, I end up in the left lane, passing slower moving traffic. If someone wants to drive faster than me, he's welcome to do so -- I'll move to the right as soon as I'm able. It only becomes a big deal if I'm passing a line of cars and they start riding my bumper. I'll tap the brakes to back them off, then I'll turn on my signal to let them know, "OK, jackass, I see you. I'm getting over and letting you pass as soon as I get a chance." This usually works surprisingly well.

Jaycint
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I'll tap the brakes to back them off, then I'll turn on my signal to let them know, "OK, jackass, I see you. I'm getting over and letting you pass as soon as I get a chance." This usually works surprisingly well.

I'll have to give that a try next time. Hadn't considered the turn signal idea before. I am a big fan of the brake tap though. :evil:

Cyclone792
11-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Some meaningless observations ...

Like others have already said, a good number of the arrogant jerks on the road that I've come across are driving pick-up trucks, and I've also found quite SUVs sort of fit that description too. I'm not saying that everybody who drives a pick-up truck or an SUV is an arrogant jerk on the road - and I've certainly come across arrogant jerks on the road in all types of vehicles - but most of my problems with arrogant jerks are usually driving one of those two types of vehicles.

One interesting sidenote to that observation is that I currently have two cars, a brand new car and a second car that's a dozen years old with over 200k miles on it that I use as a beater. The brand new car is classified as a sports car, looks like a sports car, and performs and handles like a sports car. The second car is your typical mid 90s, generic looking compact sedan without much power. I've noticed that the arrogant jerks in pick-ups and SUVs on the road tend to leave me alone for the most part when I'm in my new sports car whereas they're more apt to try to intimidate me when I'm in the small sedan. I'm not really sure why that is; maybe those drivers think a person driving a sports car is more likely (and capable) to retaliate than someone driving a small sedan, but who really knows.

Another meaningless observation is that most of the drivers on the road who I've come across that are slow, inattentive, and completely oblivious to their surroundings are driving minivans. If there's a long line of slow traffic in the fast lane going well under the speed limit and backing everything up, it's typically not surprising to ultimately find out that the culprit of that slow traffic in the fast lane is driving a minivan. Again, these types of drivers are driving all sorts of vehicles, but in my experience more seem to drive minivans more than other types of vehicles.

pedro
11-27-2007, 01:06 PM

True story. A guy here in Portland was shot to death while riding his bike last week. Now that's sophistication.

Personally I think carrying a gun around is a better way to get yourself killed than it is to protect yourself.

TeamSelig
11-27-2007, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=George Foster;1502878]QUOTE]

Classic story. LOL Can you imagine this guys story? Doubtful that he tells it to anyone though, or leaves out the part where his tail goes between his legs.

Nothing wrong with protecting yourself with a gun. Just be responsible about it.

And NEVER get out of the car. I'm not up to date on the state laws on this, but IMO it should be a serious crime to even step out of your vehicle when an altercation happens. I do know in California it is a crime to flip someone the bird. Some sort of road rage law.

Cyclone,

I think you nicely put that alot of road rage jerks tend to be "rednecks"... now I am from the country and have buddies that would be considered this so I'm not generalizing ALL of them, but I have also noticed that a good chunk of them will be quick to get out of the truck to give 'sumbody a good ole fashion country butt whoopin'

I've had it happen to me when I was about 16 and he almost got himself ran over. Idiot.

westofyou
11-27-2007, 03:27 PM
My friend beeped at someone on Market Street in Downtown San Francisco one morning (woman was on her phone at a green light)

After she beeped the woman got out of her car and walked back to my friend and pulled out her trusty 38 and stuck against my friends temple and said. "Don't ever beep at me again, or I'll kill you." then she walked back to her car and took off.

Just another law abiding citizen with a firearm on their way to the office in the US of A.

Cyclone792
11-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Cyclone,

I think you nicely put that alot of road rage jerks tend to be "rednecks"... now I am from the country and have buddies that would be considered this so I'm not generalizing ALL of them, but I have also noticed that a good chunk of them will be quick to get out of the truck to give 'sumbody a good ole fashion country butt whoopin'

I've had it happen to me when I was about 16 and he almost got himself ran over. Idiot.

Well I'm not sure I'd go that far with it; typically the worst road rage drivers I see daily are on highways near urban areas, though that's what I drive daily. It's just the observation that more seem to drive larger vehicles such as pick-ups and SUVs than anything else, but I wouldn't know what type of demographic prefers those types of vehicles or anything.

I've always thought it had something to do with the "big guy picking on the little guy" type of thing with some of the people in larger vehicles feeling like they can intimidate those in smaller vehicles on the road by tailing people, cutting them off, and just generally doing what they want with no regard for others on the road.

WMR
11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Well I'm not sure I'd go that far with it; typically the worst road rage drivers I see daily are on highways near urban areas, though that's what I drive daily. It's just the observation that more seem to drive larger vehicles such as pick-ups and SUVs than anything else, but I wouldn't know what type of demographic prefers those types of vehicles or anything.

I've always thought it had something to do with the "big guy picking on the little guy" type of thing with some of the people in larger vehicles feeling like they can intimidate those in smaller vehicles on the road by tailing people, cutting them off, and just generally doing what they want with no regard for others on the road.

I know that I've got no issue believing that drug abuse is a problem endemic to the big-rig drivers populating our nation's highways. I've seen some incredibly bizarre and dangerous behavior out of truck drivers.

TeamSelig
11-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Sorry, thats just what I thought you were trying to say. Maybe it boils down to those who have self image issues & want to prove their "toughness" in traffic by confronting people will opt to buy a vehicle that is big and "scary"... makes them feel less inferior if they have a bigger ride than the other person

Or then again we could be looking into it too much haha

RedsBaron
11-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Personally I think carrying a gun around is a better way to get yourself killed than it is to protect yourself.

If you do not know how to use it and/or would be unable to use it if necessary, then I agree. If you are trained in the use of a firearm and are mentally capable of using it, then I disagree.
If at all possible, you should ignore the idiots and let them go on their way. A confrontation should be avoided if at all possible.
I do agree with TeamSelig--do not get out of your car.
It has been years since I ever had any trouble with another motorist, but these stories do remind me of something that happened to me many, many years ago, after I had been practicing law for only a few months. I was 24 years old (and looked younger-oh those were the days!).
I had a Firebird with T-tops. I was driving through Ritter Park in Huntington one beautiful fall day, T-top off, when some girls, tops on, probably in their late teens, yelled at me. I ended up giving them all a ride in the 'Bird-I probably had five girls in the car. When I got to the top of the hill in a relatively isolated area of the Park, we suddenly encountered their boyfriends, all of whom were bigger than me. The girls quickly got out of my car, and I then got to listen to the leader of the gang of guys threaten me for a minute or two. I just listened passively. What I knew was that my Firebird was still running, in gear, with one foot on the brake and the other foot hovering just above the gas pedal. If the situation escalated, I wasn't getting into a fight with five guys-five guys were getting into a fight with the front bumper of a Firebird as it peeled out.
Anyway, the gang's leader finally got tired of hearing himself talk, and I calmly drove away.
The funny part is the "rest of the story." A few months later I went to magistrate court to meet an insured of State Farm who had been sued over a fender bender.
The State Farm insured was a young guy who acted very strange when he saw me. He finally said: "You don't remember me, do you?" When I told him no, he then said that he was the guy who was the leader of the gang. He was somewhat concerned to discover that a person he had threatened a couple of months earlier was now his lawyer!

TeamSelig
11-28-2007, 10:44 AM
That's awesome. Small world.

OldRightHander
11-28-2007, 01:08 PM
A lot of what I observe involves people who don't want my taller vehicle in front of them. Last night coming through Shreveport I notice a merge ramp on the right with a car on it. I wanted to get over into the left lane to make it easier for the car to merge. I had an opening, signalled, and at that point the minivan in the left lane sped up to keep me from coming over. I've then got a minivan on my left, a merging car who doesn't know the meaning of "yield" and 2000 pounds in the back end. Brakes are not an option. I had to come into the left lane to avoid the merging car because he was not up to any kind of speed and the minivan had to go onto the left shoulder to get out of my way. No collisions happened, but the whole thing started because someone didn't want a taller vehicle in front.

RANDY IN INDY
11-28-2007, 03:12 PM
If you do not know how to use it and/or would be unable to use it if necessary, then I agree. If you are trained in the use of a firearm and are mentally capable of using it, then I disagree.
If at all possible, you should ignore the idiots and let them go on their way. A confrontation should be avoided if at all possible.
I do agree with TeamSelig--do not get out of your car.
It has been years since I ever had any trouble with another motorist, but these stories do remind me of something that happened to me many, many years ago, after I had been practicing law for only a few months. I was 24 years old (and looked younger-oh those were the days!).
I had a Firebird with T-tops. I was driving through Ritter Park in Huntington one beautiful fall day, T-top off, when some girls, tops on, probably in their late teens, yelled at me. I ended up giving them all a ride in the 'Bird-I probably had five girls in the car. When I got to the top of the hill in a relatively isolated area of the Park, we suddenly encountered their boyfriends, all of whom were bigger than me. The girls quickly got out of my car, and I then got to listen to the leader of the gang of guys threaten me for a minute or two. I just listened passively. What I knew was that my Firebird was still running, in gear, with one foot on the brake and the other foot hovering just above the gas pedal. If the situation escalated, I wasn't getting into a fight with five guys-five guys were getting into a fight with the front bumper of a Firebird as it peeled out.
Anyway, the gang's leader finally got tired of hearing himself talk, and I calmly drove away.
The funny part is the "rest of the story." A few months later I went to magistrate court to meet an insured of State Farm who had been sued over a fender bender.
The State Farm insured was a young guy who acted very strange when he saw me. He finally said: "You don't remember me, do you?" When I told him no, he then said that he was the guy who was the leader of the gang. He was somewhat concerned to discover that a person he had threatened a couple of months earlier was now his lawyer!

I remember a few days spent in Ritter Park. The scenery was usually wonderful!;)

OldRightHander
11-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I've seen some incredibly bizarre and dangerous behavior out of truck drivers.

Actually, most of the morons on the road are the ones driving four wheeled vehicles. I could post the DOT statistics, but that will wait until I'm home and not on a pay per use internet terminal, in a Flying J surrounded by those bizarre and dangerous truckers.

Roy Tucker
11-29-2007, 03:57 PM
From TMQ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071127

If the Good Samaritan Had Been in an SUV, There's No Way He Would Have Stopped: The Vatican released a 17,827-word pastoral guide to driving, which enunciates a Highway Code. Yes, it seems ridiculous to have the Church telling you to take your car in for regular maintenance, as this document does. Then again, with 35 million people dead in traffic accidents in the 20th century -- more than died in World War II -- and road rage increasing, it's not ridiculous to say the spiritual aspects of driving are going unacknowledged. When behind the wheel, far too many people exhibit hostility and carelessness regarding the safety of others, behaving in a manner they would never dream of exhibiting in face-to-face environments. The pastoral guide says, "Driving brings inclinations to the surface from the unconscious that usually, when we are not on the roads, are controlled. When driving, however, imbalances emerge and encourage regression to more primitive forms of behavior. Driving should be considered by the same standards as any other social activity." If we did that, road rage would plummet. The guide quotes Paul VI as saying of driving, "Too much blood is spilt every day in an absurd competition with speed and time," and has an extended section comparing the poverty and street despair we whiz past in cars in poor areas or in the developing world to the street despair that rich travelers refused to notice in Jesus' day. Why do otherwise kind-hearted and mild-mannered people become inconsiderate or even hostile in their cars? Propose your explanations using the address at Reader Animadversion.

http://212.77.1.245/news_services/bulletin/news/20451.php?index=20451