PDA

View Full Version : Redskins' Sean Taylor Shot

savafan
11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8T5F3D00&show_article=1

MIAMI (AP) - Washington Redskins star safety Sean Taylor was in critical condition after he was shot at his Florida home Monday, police said.
Officers were dispatched to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. He was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital, police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta said. He didn't know what part of his body was injured.

Taylor's family asked that no information about his condition be released, hospital spokeswoman Lorraine Nelson said.

Taylor has a home in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay that he bought two years ago. The 24-year-old player is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. He leads the team with five interceptions but has missed the last two games because of a knee injury.

Taylor has been in trouble numerous times since he was drafted as the No. 5 overall pick in 2004. He has been fined at least seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006. He also was fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium shortly after he was drafted.

Redskins coaches and players have defended Taylor, saying he was smart and misunderstood. Taylor has been slow let anyone into his inner circle. He has rarely spoken to reporters, saying he does not trust them. Teammates said he became more mature over the last year after he became a father for the first time.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation. The pleas prompted another fine from the NFL but kept his football career intact.

He also was ordered to talk about the importance of education at 10 Miami schools and had to contribute $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools.

The man Taylor allegedly hit, Ryan Hill, sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill sustained bruises to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

WMR
11-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Thug life.

savafan
11-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Thug life.

Are you accusing Tim Hummel?

WMR
11-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Are you accusing Tim Hummel?

:D Hehe you made me LOL Sava.

Edskin
11-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Thug life.

Might want to get the full story before you start slinging accusations. Maybe Sean put himself in a bad spot, or maybe he was just a victim. Guy is fighting for his life right now-- I say hold the judgements until you find out what really happened.

WMR
11-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Might want to get the full story before you start slinging accusations. Maybe Sean put himself in a bad spot, or maybe he was just a victim. Guy is fighting for his life right now-- I say hold the judgements until you find out what really happened.

The only thing I'm accusing him of is being a thug and there's plenty of existing evidence to make that determination.

Edskin
11-26-2007, 01:06 PM
The only thing I'm accusing him of is being a thug and there's plenty of existing evidence to make that determination.

Just seems a bit distasteful considering the circumstances.

Reports are that he was at his home with his girlfriend and young daughter. He heard a noise and went to investiate. He was then shot. Sounds like a robbery/burglary.

All have said that since his past legal issues, Taylor was changed after becoming a Dad. He has not had any off-field issues since.

This is a terrible situation.

ramp101
11-26-2007, 04:06 PM

w o w.

redsfan30
11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Doesn't sound like a good situation at all.

Reds Fanatic
11-26-2007, 04:16 PM
According to an ESPN article a family friend says he lost a significant amount of blood as the bullet hit his femoral artery. They are worried about the loss of blood will affect the blood flow going to his brain.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3127928

WVRed
11-26-2007, 06:46 PM
As Steve Buerlein would put it, just another Miami thug.(instead of USC).

I do hope he pulls through, although it wouldnt surprise me if there is more to the story.

Blimpie
11-26-2007, 06:55 PM
This sounds like a tragedy unfolding before our very eyes...

Source: Taylor in coma after surgery
by Alex Marvez
FOXSports.com

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has fallen into a coma following surgery for a life-threatening gunshot wound suffered early Monday morning at his South Miami home, FOXSports.com has learned.

Taylor "flatlined" twice during the surgery, the NFL Network reported.
Redskins officials are en route to South Florida to visit Taylor.

One source said there is a concern Taylor suffered brain damage from the loss of blood and may not survive.

"It doesn't look good," the source said. "But he's young, strong and extra healthy. That's what he's got going for him."

Taylor was shot on the inside of his leg during a home invasion involving "one or maybe more" individuals, the source said. The bullet pierced Taylor's femoral artery, causing him to get rushed to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

The 24-year-old player was in the intensive care unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital after several hours of surgery, said family friend Richard Sharpstein, his former lawyer.

Doctors are worried the blood loss might affect blood flow to the brain, said Sharpstein, who was at the hospital with Taylor's family and friends.

The Redskins' Sean Taylor is in critical condition after his femoral artery was severed in a shooting early Monday morning. (Nick Wass / Associated Press)

The shooting came eight days after another invasion was reported at his home. According to police records, someone pried open a front window, rifled through his drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed.

Officers were sent to Taylor's home at about 1:45 a.m. after his girlfriend called 911 and said he was shot in his lower body, Lt. Nancy Perez said. Taylor had missed the last two games because of a knee injury and was at home recuperating. Taylor was airlifted to the hospital.

Investigators were still interviewing the girlfriend and other relatives who were in the home to try to determine what happened, Perez said. No arrests have been made.

"It could have been a possible burglary; it could have been a possible robbery," Perez said. "It has not been confirmed as yet."

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, the lawyer said.

"It was clearly a burglary, an armed burglary," Sharpstein said, adding nothing appeared to have been stolen.

The shooting happened at the pale yellow house Taylor bought two years ago in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay. Taylor is in his fourth season with the Redskins after playing at the University of Miami, where he was an All-American in 2003. Despite his injury, he is tied for the NFC lead with five interceptions.

Redskins owner Dan Snyder arrived in Miami on his private plane with running back Clinton Portis, vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato and trainer Bubba Tyer.

Taylor called coach Joe Gibbs on Nov. 19 to let him know he'd miss that morning's regular team meeting because he was in Florida dealing with the first break-in on Nov. 17.

"I said, 'I understand that.' I said, 'Take care of your house and everything you have to there,"' Gibbs recalled.

Taylor was at team headquarters Saturday to treat his knee, Gibbs said, adding he wasn't aware the player then returned to Florida.

A group of Taylor's fans planned a two-hour vigil Monday evening outside Redskins Park in Ashburn, Va.

"This is not just a member of the Washington Redskins," said Redskins safety Pierson Prioleau, one of a few players made available to reporters. "But we're talking about a dad, a brother, a friend of ours, and that's where we're at with this right now."

Gibbs was joined by the team chaplain at the Redskins' usual Monday meeting. A small group of players held a separate prayer gathering.

The Redskins (5-6) lost 19-13 at Tampa on Sunday. Taylor did not travel with the team to the game because of his injury. Taylor sprained a ligament in his right knee in the second half of the Nov. 11 loss to Philadelphia. He was expected to miss at least two games.

Known as one of the NFL's hardest hitters, Taylor played in his first Pro Bowl last season, where he drew attention by leveling the other team's punter in what is usually a well-mannered exhibition game.

Taylor has been in trouble numerous times since he was drafted as the No. 5 overall pick in 2004. He has been fined at least seven times during his professional career for late hits and other infractions, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006. He also was fined $25,000 for skipping a mandatory rookie symposium shortly after he was drafted.

Redskins coaches and players have defended Taylor, saying he was smart and misunderstood. Taylor has been slow to let anyone in his inner circle. He has rarely spoken to reporters, saying he does not trust them. Teammates said he became more mature over the last year after he became a father for the first time.

In 2005, Taylor was accused of brandishing a gun at a man and repeatedly hitting him during a fight that broke out after Taylor and some friends went looking for the people who had allegedly stolen his all-terrain vehicles.

Taylor reached a deal with prosecutors last year after they agreed to drop felony charges against him. He pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors in the assault case and was sentenced to 18 months probation. The pleas prompted another fine from the NFL but kept his football career intact.

He also was ordered to talk about the importance of education at 10 Miami schools and had to contribute $1,000 for scholarships to each of those schools.

The man Taylor allegedly hit, Ryan Hill, sued, seeking at least $15,000 in damages. Hill sustained bruises to his body, incurred medical expenses and lost wages because of the fight, the lawsuit said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Boston Red
11-26-2007, 07:41 PM
So someone broke down his bedroom door, shot him and then left without stealing anything? This is obviously a tragedy, but it sure doesn't sound like a random home invasion either.

HumnHilghtFreel
11-26-2007, 07:55 PM
I just heard a report that he's responsive. Apparently he squeezed the doctor's hand when prompted. This is GREAT news if true.

TC81190
11-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I just heard a report that he's responsive. Apparently he squeezed the doctor's hand when prompted. This is GREAT news if true.

Yep. Also shows that if there IS brain damage, it might not be so bad.

NorrisHopper30
11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Definitely in my prayers, I love the way he plays football and he's always been one of my favorites.

halcyon
11-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Thug? I guess he brought this on himself then, huh?

Come on dude, this statement is plainly ignorant. You don't know anything about Sean Taylor, other than the little the media has told you. And, IMO, you choose a poor time to attack his character (as he lays in a hospital bed nearly dying) Guess what? Sean reveals absolutely nothing about himself to the media and has said he doesn't trust them. As a result, he's not their favorite player and they speculate about him a-plenty.

His teammates, who do know him, say he's matured a great deal. That he's a great person and a great father and very intelligent. I even know someone who knew him as far back as his early days at Miami. Last time he saw him, Sean gave him a big hug. I expressed surprise, since he said they never knew each other that well, but he said, "ah, Sean hugs a lot of people. He's just a great guy."

Edskin
11-26-2007, 10:29 PM

Come on dude, this statement is plainly ignorant. You don't know anything about Sean Taylor, other than the little the media has told you. And, IMO, you choose a poor time to attack his character (as he lays in a hospital bed nearly dying) Guess what? Sean reveals absolutely nothing about himself to the media and has said he doesn't trust them. As a result, he's not their favorite player and they speculate about him a-plenty.

His teammates, who do know him, say he's matured a great deal. That he's a great person and a great father and very intelligent. I even know someone who knew him as far back as his early days at Miami. Last time he saw him, Sean gave him a big hug. I expressed surprise, since he said they never knew each other that well, but he said, "ah, Sean hugs a lot of people. He's just a great guy."

Of course, teammates, etc... are going to say kind things at this point, but if you look at the faces of the coaches, teammates, friends.....you can tell how much they care for Sean. Redskins Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams really got choked up at the end of his press conference today.

Despite the fact that he never grants an interview, he is a fan favorite and has always gotten good "reviews" from fan's who have had contact with him.

http://extremeskins.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

MaineRed
11-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Thug life.

Completely uncalled for.

Just once I wish you would stop for 1 second and ask yourself how you would react to news like this if it were a player from your favorite team before you post these idiotic comments, over and over and over again. This is someone's son, a dad and a brother, as one of the Redskins pointed out today.

Caveat Emperor
11-27-2007, 02:39 AM

In WMR's defense, there is documentation of Sean Taylor's past legal transgressions -- which includes firearm charges of his own. I'm not saying what he said was right or that the timing wasn't questionable, but what he was saying wasn't completely without factual backing.

As a human being, I feel awful seeing anyone hurt like this and hope that he pulls through for the sake of his family and his child. He was a special talent on the football field and it was a joy to watch him play -- even if it was sometimes at the expense of teams I like.

That aside, looking at this squarely from a criminal situation, there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye. An armed home invasion where no property is taken and shots are discharged by gunmen who burst into Taylor's bedroom? It sounds way more like a hit on Taylor than a burglary gone wrong. Combine that with the earlier "non-theft" burglary, and there's more than enough evidence to at least speculate something seriously shady was going on down there.

camisadelgolf
11-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Completely uncalled for.

I agree with you 100%. Even if we assume that Sean Taylor is a thug and has spent the past few years of his life doing nothing but evil things to people, which would be a stupid thing to assume, I'm pretty sure he never shot and (nearly) killed anyone.

I wouldn't mind if Chris Henry shot Tom Brady's right hand, though. No, I'm kidding.

Reds Fanatic
11-27-2007, 06:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3129406

MIAMI -- ashington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has died, a day after he was shot at home, said family friend Richard Sharpstein.

He said Taylor's father called him around 5:30 a.m. to tell him the news.

"His father called and said he was with Christ and he cried and thanked me," said Sharpstein, Taylor's former lawyer. "It's a tremendously sad and unnecessary event. He was a wonderful, humble, talented young man, and had a huge life in front of him. Obviously God had other plans."

He said he did not know exactly when Taylor died.

Doctors had been encouraged late Monday night when Taylor squeezed a nurse's hand. But Sharpstein said he was told Taylor never regained consciousness after being transported to the hospital and that he wasn't sure how he had squeezed the nurse's hand.

"Maybe he was trying to say goodbye or something," Sharpstein said.

The 24-year-old Redskins safety was shot early Monday in the upper leg, damaging an artery and causing significant blood loss.

Miami-Dade Police were investigating the attack, which came just eight days after an intruder was reported at Taylor's home. Officers were dispatched about 1:45 a.m. Monday after Taylor's girlfriend called 911. Taylor was airlifted to the hospital.

Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, Sharpstein said. Taylor's 1-year-old daughter, Jackie, was also in the house at the time, but neither she nor Taylor's girlfriend were injured.

"It could have been a possible burglary; it could have been a possible robbery," Miami-Dade Police Lt. Nancy Perez said. "It has not been confirmed as yet."

Taylor was shot at the pale yellow house he bought two years ago in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay. It came about a week after someone pried open a front window, rifled through drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed at Taylor's home, according to police.

"They're really sifting through that incident and today's incident," Miami-Dade Police Detective Mario Rachid said, "to see if there's any correlation."

Taylor starred as a running back and defensive back at Gulliver Preparatory School in Miami. His father, Pedro Taylor, is the police chief of Florida City, Fla.

Teammates and coaches often have portrayed Taylor as misunderstood, and that much was true. A private man with a small inner circle, Taylor became distrustful of reporters and anyone else he didn't know well. He rarely granted interviews, sometimes declining with a smile and a handshake and sometimes with a snarl that said: "Get out of my way."

But, behind the scenes, Taylor was described as personable and smart _ an emerging locker room leader.

Especially since the birth of his daughter Jackie.

"From the first day I met him, from then to now, it's just like night and day," Redskins receiver James Thrash said. "He's really got his head on his shoulders and has been doing really well as far as just being a man. It's been awesome to see that growth."

An All-American at the University of Miami, Taylor was drafted by the Redskins with the fifth overall selection in 2004. Coach Joe Gibbs called it "one of the most researched things" he's ever done, but the problems soon began. Taylor fired his agent, then skipped part of the NFL's mandatory rookie symposium, drawing a $25,000 fine. Driving home late from a party during the season, he was pulled over and charged with drunken driving. The case was dismissed in court, but by then it had become a months-long distraction for the team.

Taylor was also fined at least seven times for late hits, uniform violations and other infractions over his first three seasons, including a $17,000 penalty for spitting in the face of Tampa Bay running back Michael Pittman during a playoff game in January 2006.

Meanwhile, Taylor endured a yearlong legal battle after he was accused in 2005 of brandishing a gun at a man during a fight over allegedly stolen all-terrain vehicles near Taylor's home. He eventually pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors and was sentenced to 18 months' probation.

Taylor said the end of the assault case was like "a gray cloud" being lifted. It was also around the time that Jackie was born, and teammates noticed a change.

"It's hard to expect a man to grow up overnight," said Redskins teammate and close friend Clinton Portis, who also played with Taylor at the University of Miami. "But ever since he had his child, it was like a new Sean, and everybody around here knew it. He was always smiling, always happy, always talking about his child."

On the field, Taylor's play was often erratic. Assistant coach Gregg Williams frequently called Taylor the best athlete he's ever coached, but nearly every big play was mitigated by a blown assignment. Taylor led the NFL in missed tackles in 2006 yet made the Pro Bowl because of his reputation as one of the hardest hitters in the league.

This year, however, Taylor was allowed to play a true free safety position, using his speed and power to chase down passes and crush would-be receivers. His five interceptions tie for the league lead in the NFC, even though he missed the last two games because of a sprained knee. Teammates said he had overhauled his diet this year to include more fruit, fish and vegetables and less red meat.

"I just take this job very seriously," Taylor said in a rare group interview during training camp. "It's almost like, you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.'

"So I just say, 'I'm healthy right now, I'm going into my fourth year, and why not do the best that I can?' And that's whatever it is, whether it's eating right or training myself right, whether it's studying harder, whatever I can do to better myself."

His hard work was well-noted.

"He loved football. He felt like that's what he was made to do," Gibbs said. "And I think what I've noticed over the last year and a half ... is he matured. I think his baby had a huge impact on him. There was a real growing up in his life."

KittyDuran
11-27-2007, 06:52 AM
USA Today is reporting that Sean has died... :(

HumnHilghtFreel
11-27-2007, 06:59 AM
USA Today is reporting that Sean has died... :(

I just heard on ESPN Radio. This is very sad:(

RedFanAlways1966
11-27-2007, 07:14 AM
In WMR's defense, there is documentation of Sean Taylor's past legal transgressions -- which includes firearm charges of his own. I'm not saying what he said was right or that the timing wasn't questionable, but what he was saying wasn't completely without factual backing.

As a human being, I feel awful seeing anyone hurt like this and hope that he pulls through for the sake of his family and his child. He was a special talent on the football field and it was a joy to watch him play -- even if it was sometimes at the expense of teams I like.

That aside, looking at this squarely from a criminal situation, there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye. An armed home invasion where no property is taken and shots are discharged by gunmen who burst into Taylor's bedroom? It sounds way more like a hit on Taylor than a burglary gone wrong. Combine that with the earlier "non-theft" burglary, and there's more than enough evidence to at least speculate something seriously shady was going on down there.

Well said. :thumbup:

Now is a time to mourn the loss of a human life. But there are a lot of unanswered questions as to why it happened and a lot of things just don't mesh up with an innocent man being murdered. I don't know, but hopefully those paid to figure these things out will find the accurate answers.

LoganBuck
11-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Someone on ESPNews said the phone lines were cut at his house. I am of the mind that this was more than a robbery gone bad.

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 07:46 AM
I hope WMR always remembers what he had to say on the last day of Sean Taylor's life.

Disgusting.

MWM
11-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Very sad. No matter what he's done in the past, he was too young to die!

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 08:17 AM
I hope WMR always remembers what he had to say on the last day of Sean Taylor's life.

Disgusting.

Come on now, it was a bad discision, but there is no need for this IMO. What WMR said was uncalled for, but no more so than this IMO. Cheap shot IMO.

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 08:22 AM
No more so than this? Maybe if I knew WMR was on his death bed and I was attacking his character.

Based on his post I am guessing he is celebrating right now.

RANDY IN INDY
11-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I kinda doubt that.

Yachtzee
11-27-2007, 08:27 AM
No more so than this? Maybe if I knew WMR was on his death bed and I was attacking his character.

Based on what? I don't see anything where WMR wished that Taylor would die. If you want to take things personal, take them PM.

Roy Tucker
11-27-2007, 08:37 AM
It should be interesting to see how the press treats this.

There is the tragedy of a young man cut down in the prime of his life and the effect his death has on his family, friends, teammates, and fans. And then there is the question of his lifestyle and if this contributed to the circumstances around his death.

For now, sympathies and condolences to his family, friends, teammates, and fans.

bucksfan2
11-27-2007, 08:41 AM
This is turely a sad story. Taylor had all the ability and was a great football player. He had a very checkered past with multiple arrests. As one poster mentioned it is known that the phone lines have been cut so I just don't think this is a robbery gone bad. I just can't help but this this was an inside job and Taylor's past has come back to haunt him.

With any untimely death, especially with someone as young as Taylor, you hope that some good will eventually come out of it. You hope that there are young football players who see the path Taylor led and change.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 08:45 AM

Bottom line, a man has died. Using his death to make somebody look bad is absolutely uncalled for and IMO no better than calling an injured man a thug. At that point, that is what was thought to have happened. We had no Idea that he was fatally injured. There was the possibility, but no facts were available. Yeah, calling an injured person a thug based on the past and without knowing the facts was a terrible decision, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean that WMR is a bad person or a person of bad character. I'm sure you are not a person of bad character either.

Attacks on character have no place on this board. I hope that you see the fault in your ways and have the decency to stop defending your comment. It is time to let it go and be the better man.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 08:49 AM
It should be interesting to see how the press treats this.

There is the tragedy of a young man cut down in the prime of his life and the effect his death has on his family, friends, teammates, and fans. And then there is the question of his lifestyle and if this contributed to the circumstances around his death.

For now, sympathies and condolences to his family, friends, teammates, and fans.

I honestly think that he was probably just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was an apparent robery according to what I've read so far. I will continue to believe that until there is evidence to the contrary.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family. No need to bring up his past right now. There will be plenty of time for that as the investigation contiues.

Chip R
11-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Take your personal issues private, guys.

Boston Red
11-27-2007, 10:48 AM
I honestly think that he was probably just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was an apparent robery according to what I've read so far. I will continue to believe that until there is evidence to the contrary.

Maybe you're right, but from the press accounts I read, the killer barged into his bedroom, shot him and left without stealing anything. It sounds to me like someone went there with the intent to shoot him, not to rob him.

BuckWoody
11-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Certainly my thoughts and prayers go to his family, friends, and fans. It's so sad to see a young life wasted.

I'll be very interested to see some more facts come out about the shooting. It sounds like there is a lot more to the story than just a home invasion gone wrong. We'll find out in due time, though.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Maybe you're right, but from the press accounts I read, the killer barged into his bedroom, shot him and left without stealing anything. It sounds to me like someone went there with the intent to shoot him, not to rob him.

Yeah, that is definately something that I will want to keep an eye on. The only thing that gets me is that if their intent was to kill him, why was he shot at only twice, one being a shot in the leg which only by misfortune killed him. Its hard to say what the intruder's intentions were. None of it really makes sense. New details will come out as the investigation continues. It is just tragic either way.

dougdirt
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM

This is just me playing detective here.... but you go into a house with a gun to rob the place. You are snooping around and see someone running and know you have been spotted. You go after them, you see that they are going after a weapon and you shoot. You hit them and they go down. Now you realize what you actually did and you run.

Completely plausible.

Sad story here. Regardless of Taylors past problems, I would say he certainly didn't deserve anything like this.

ramp101
11-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Absolutely terrible

:(

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 12:11 PM
I apologize for anyone offended by what I said. I was furious that someone would say something like that about someone who had just been shot on a public forum and this morning when I saw that Taylor died it riled me up even more. Really upset me that someone would be that insensitive.

I shouldn't have suggested WMR was celebrating but based on his reaction to the guy being in critical condition (thug) I didn't exactly get the feeling he was in mourning.

BTW, I considered myself a Sean Taylor fan.

Chip R
11-27-2007, 12:20 PM
This is just me playing detective here.... but you go into a house with a gun to rob the place. You are snooping around and see someone running and know you have been spotted. You go after them, you see that they are going after a weapon and you shoot. You hit them and they go down. Now you realize what you actually did and you run.

Completely plausible.

Sad story here. Regardless of Taylors past problems, I would say he certainly didn't deserve anything like this.

That's true. A burgler could have panicked and shot him and ran off without taking anything. However, given Taylor's past problems and the circumstances surrounding the incident, it seems awfully fishy that this was a robbery gone bad.

KronoRed
11-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Sad news, too young.

GoReds33
11-27-2007, 12:38 PM
I can't believe he died. He was way too young. I give my hopes and prayers to his family and friends.

On the investigation note: I don't believe it was a robbery. If Boston Red is right, than I have no clue why they would have said it was a possible burglary in the first place. I know that I wouldn't assume something was a robbery if somebody shot someone, and didn't take anything.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
That's true. A burgler could have panicked and shot him and ran off without taking anything. However, given Taylor's past problems and the circumstances surrounding the incident, it seems awfully fishy that this was a robbery gone bad.

I just don't understand if the intention was to kill him, why would they shoot him in the leg and run. In most cases, shooting somebody in the leg doesn't kill them. Maybe they just wanted to intimidate him, or hold him captive while he was robbed. Maybe a kidnapping? Unlikely IMO. None of it makes any sense to me right now. They are going to keep any information close to the vest for obvious reasons. It should be very interesting as details come out.

Not saying anybody is wrong of course.

Chip R
11-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I just don't understand if the intention was to kill him, why would they shoot him in the leg and run. In most cases, shooting somebody in the leg doesn't kill them. Maybe they just wanted to intimidate him, or hold him captive while he was robbed. Maybe a kidnapping? Unlikely IMO. None of it makes any sense to me right now. They are going to keep any information close to the vest for obvious reasons. It should be very interesting as details come out.

Not saying anybody is wrong of course.

Good question. If you're going to kill someone, you don't shoot them in the leg. Since Taylor was such a high profile person, the cops aren't going to treat this just like any other homicide.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Good question. If you're going to kill someone, you don't shoot them in the leg. Since Taylor was such a high profile person, the cops aren't going to treat this just like any other homicide.

Which begs another question, did they know who's house they were in? I mean, seriously, why would you commit a crime like that when you know the crime will be more aggresively investigated based mostly on the fact that it involves such a high profile person. Part of me says they had to know, but the other part of me says, were they really that stupid?

Boston Red
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I've never shot anyone before. Would you immediately know you shot him in the leg? He shoots twice, sees Taylor go down and bolts. The guy may have had no idea the first shot missed or that the second one "only" got him in the leg.

As has been mentioned, I am sure that we will all know more soon.

Blimpie
11-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Good question. If you're going to kill someone, you don't shoot them in the leg. Since Taylor was such a high profile person, the cops aren't going to treat this just like any other homicide.Not that it matters much at this point, but the intruder actually fired twice (one shot missed entirely). It will be very difficult to determine the motivations based solely upon this information.

From everything that I have read, I am leaning towards this murder being related somehow to the break-in he experienced last week. Not sure how, it just appears to be too coincidental at this time.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Not that it matters much at this point, but the intruder actually fired twice (one shot missed entirely). It will be very difficult to determine the motivations based solely upon this information.

From everything that I have read, I am leaning towards this murder being related somehow to the break-in he experienced last week. Not sure how, it just appears to be too coincidental at this time.

Yeah, but if your intent is to kill somebody, I would think you would make sure you give a fatal blow, not hope you do and run. Most murders that are pre meditated would involve a fatal shot I would think. Why would you guess that a shot was good enough then run. I'm guessing they are related, too big of a coincidence IMO. Its just confusing. It was a cowardly act, thats for sure.

WMR
11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Hopefully they catch the SOB that did it and give him the gas chamber. It's small comfort, but asides from Texas, this is probably the state best-suited to give Sean Taylor's family justice.

Danny Serafini
11-27-2007, 01:50 PM
He was shot in the upper thigh. There was an early report that said he was shot in the groin, then it was amended to thigh. A shot in or near the groin sounds like this was personal. Or maybe that's just where the bullet happened to go, I don't know, but it smells like more than a burglary to me.

WMR
11-27-2007, 01:54 PM
He was shot in the upper thigh. There was an early report that said he was shot in the groin, then it was amended to thigh. A shot in or near the groin sounds like this was personal. Or maybe that's just where the bullet happened to go, I don't know, but it smells like more than a burglary to me.

Not to mention a butcher knife was left on his bed 8 days before.

Maybe Sean really had cleaned his life up and no longer lived the thug lifestyle... the unfortunate thing about participating in that world is that even when you extricate yourself from that life, those who you encountered/pissed off/disrespected keep those grudges for years... and that man being a young millionaire athlete only fans the flames of jealousy/anger/rage etc. etc.

He was the same age as me, and it is definitely too young for anyone to die, no matter what their previous transgressions might have been.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 02:02 PM

One was a miss, so I'm guessing the guy wan't really aiming. I don't know, maybe he was just trying to cripple him and not kill him so he thought he could shoot him in the leg and get away. Just a viable. Maybe one was a warning shot, though I doubt it. Maybe he was just shooting irratically in the surprise of the moment. Maybe the robber just didn't know Taylor was injured and thought he was away playing football and was surprised to find him there. There are a lot of possibilities. I don't know. To say its fishy barely scratches the surface of the information we have so far.

Gainesville Red
11-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Not to mention a butcher knife was left on his bed 8 days before.

That's the part that has been the most interesting/terrifying to me.

Reds Freak
11-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Horrible story, prayers obviously go out to all affected.

I always hate thinking about a death this way, but will this be a wake up call for other NFL "bad boys" who are living the lifestyle that Sean Taylor had been involved with in the past? Would a guy like Chris Henry see this and say hey I really better start walking the line here? Or perhaps those living the lifestyle have seen enough death in their lives and this will make no difference at all?

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 03:08 PM
What evidence is there that Chris Henry is involved in activities that might get him shot?

You can be a punk and drive drunk and do drugs and all that without pissing someone off to the point that they will come into your house and shoot you.

Is it really fair to just assume that everyone who isn't a choir boy must have some serious enemies who have a blatant disregard for human life? I don't think so. I know lots of people who have driven drunk and who smoke pot and none of the are in any danger of getting gunned down as far as I can tell.

Jaycint
11-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Some of the locals on the board may remember this from the news a few years back...

An acquaintance of mine, Rob Pursley, was killed by the same type of injury to the same general area of his body a few years back over in Cincy getting out of his car to go into Mulligan's. The idiot/subhuman that did it was apparently interested in jacking his car. Thankfully he's behind bars now.

A shot that passes through a major artery is every bit as deadly as one directly to the head if not treated quickly enough. Sometimes the quickness of the response doesn't even matter.

Just absolutely senseless violence. And now yet another family left to pick up the pieces of their lives and live with an emptiness that can never be filled.

Very very sad.

Chip R
11-27-2007, 04:17 PM
What evidence is there that Chris Henry is involved in activities that might get him shot?

Well, there was that one time he almost got shot by the cops in Florida.

bucksfan2
11-27-2007, 04:28 PM

You can be a punk and drive drunk and do drugs and all that without pissing someone off to the point that they will come into your house and shoot you.

Is it really fair to just assume that everyone who isn't a choir boy must have some serious enemies who have a blatant disregard for human life? I don't think so. I know lots of people who have driven drunk and who smoke pot and none of the are in any danger of getting gunned down as far as I can tell.

He actually pulled a gun down in Florida and was told to drop it by a police officer.

Something just doesn't sound right in this story. From the butcher knive being left on the bet a week ago, the phone lines being cut, to Taylor puling a machete, this is doesn't sound like your usual robbery.

Ltlabner
11-27-2007, 04:38 PM
I just don't understand if the intention was to kill him, why would they shoot him in the leg and run. In most cases, shooting somebody in the leg doesn't kill them.

Hollywood has done a terrible job of "educating" people about the use of firearms. Most folks have this image of Mel Gibson or Bruce Willis diving through the air, guns in both hands blazing away and hitting everything in site.

Fact is, most people are *horrable* shots without a lot of practice. Shooting someone, especially a moving target, is actually very difficult. Even at close ranges it's not as simple as "I think I'll shoot the leg instead of the left toe". All it takes is for Taylor to move suddenly, the shooter to jerk at the trigger (instead of squeeze...jerking the trigger back is the "default" setting of most people who pickup a firearm) or have a crappy firearm (not unrealistic) for a shot aimed right at the chest to end up in a leg, or missing completely. And I doubt the criminal involved was at his local target range boning up on shooting skills prior to committing this crime.

What most people know about firearms is pretty much dead wrong and the stuff of make-believe.

And being shot in the leg (or anywhere really) is most definatley a serrious situation, especially the upper thigh. Lots of big arteries/veins in the upper thigh/pelvic region.

But again, I doubt the crimimal intentionally shot Taylor in the thigh versus somewhere else. More likely is he pointed the gun, jerked the trigger and hoped it hit *something*.

Sadly, it did.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Hollywood has done a terrible job of "educating" people about the use of firearms. Most folks have this image of Mel Gibson or Bruce Willis diving through the air, guns in both hands blazing away and hitting everything in site.

Fact is, most people are *horrable* shots without a lot of practice. Shooting someone, especially a moving target, is actually very difficult. Even at close ranges it's not as simple as "I think I'll shoot the leg instead of the left toe". All it takes is for Taylor to move suddenly, the shooter to jerk at the trigger (instead of squeeze) or have a crappy firearm (not unrealistic) for a shot aimed right at the chest to end up in a leg, or missing completely. And I doubt the criminal involved was at his local target range boning up on shooting skills prior to committing this crime.

What most people know about firearms is pretty much dead wrong and the stuff of make-believe.

And being shot in the leg (or anywhere really) is most definatley a serrious situation, especially the upper thigh. Lots of big arteries/veins in the upper thigh/pelvic region.

But again, I doubt the crimimal intentionally shot Taylor in the thigh versus somewhere else. More likely is he pointed the gun, jerked the trigger and hoped it hit *something*.

Sadly, it did.

I was going to say something to that effect earlier and just couldn't get it into words to describe what I was thinking clearly. You hit the nail on the head with my thoughts though. Its not even hollywood, its the rapper life style that shows the whole sideways gun wielding and such. It looks "cooler" than the straight up and down, but it is not as practical as anybody who ever shot a gun can tell you. Well put Ltlabner.

Blimpie
11-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Tonight on ESPN, Michael Wilbon (self-proclaimed Redskins insider) tried to explain these earlier comments about Sean Taylor:

I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising.

There's a ton of speculation about the details of his condition and the details of the incident, but this isn't a blog and we're not going to get into wild guessing and speculating here, though we will try and responsibly discuss other points of interest surrounding the latest strange episode relating to Taylor.

Again, I'm not the least bit surprised about the Taylor episode ... why would I be considering his history, even since he joined the Redskins?

IMO, he was less than successful.

Edskin
11-27-2007, 09:57 PM
www.edkleese.blogspot.com

A young man I never met died today. In terms of race, background, and talents, we seemed to have little to nothing in common.

Yet, I spent the entire day distracted, with a constant feeling as if someone had just kicked me in the gut. I am angry. I am frustrated. I am sad.

Why?

Perhaps because in the end, this is more than just a game.

Sean Taylor was as gifted an athlete as I’ve ever seen. I may have had the pleasure of watching one his best games earlier this year in Green Bay; I’ve never seen a safety dominate an NFL game like he did that day. Every time Brett Favre threw the ball, Taylor was there. Taylor was always there. He was a physical phenom.

Now, he is gone. Just like that.

When these things happen, there is almost immediately a cry of how football/sports in general is “just a game,” and that this goes to show how “petty” it all is in the end when compared with the loss of life.

I could not disagree more.

If anything, this tragedy goes to show just much this game matters. Without this game I wouldn’t even know who Sean Taylor was. Without this game, I wouldn’t have viewed Taylor as “one of us,” even though we had no actual connection. But I’ve always considered myself (right or wrong) as a “part” of the Washington Redskins.

In the 4th quarter of the last game of the 2005 season, Taylor picked up a fumble, ran for the endzone, and in a moment of sheer joy, he leaped past the goaline. As his body soared through the air, I let out an incredible, joyous yell. I turned to my wife and said, “We did it! We did it!” With that play, the Redskins clinched a playoff berth—something they have only done twice in the past 15 years. I will always remember where I was when Taylor made that play, and I’ll always remember how it made me feel.

Just a game? Really?

If it’s just a game, then why are so many Redskins fans grieving right now? If none of this matters, then why does Taylor’s death sting so much? I hear about tragedy everyday. People are taken from this life before their time everyday. I always feel badly when I hear such news. But it does not stop me in my tracks like this did. It doesn’t weigh on me. It doesn’t inspire me to write about it and express my feelings.

This does. It’s more than just a game.

We can banter back and forth about the psychology behind sports fandom, but when it’s all said and done, so much of it is wrapped up in facets greater than the sport itself: team, friend, family.
When the Redskins win, I feel great. My day is better. My week is better.

When the Redskins lose, it’s the opposite.

It’s more than just a game.

So, what to do now?

The Redskins have five games left on the schedule and they are in the thick of the playoff race. On top of that, they will play two games within a four day span starting this Sunday. Somewhere in between they will bury their 24 year old teammate and friend. The coaches will bury someone akin to a son. Taylor leaves behind a girlfriend, a family, a young daughter, and a team. I feel like part of that team.

Play football? Should we even be thinking about that right now?

The answer is clear as day. The answer is yes.

I would like nothing more right now than to be able to strap on a helmet, run onto a field, let out some frustration, and then turn to the sky and scream at the top of my lungs. I’d like nothing more than to be able to do that surrounded by teammates who felt the same way as I did.

I can’t do that. But they can. I can live through them. I can root for them. I can root for us.

I’m not sure the Redskins need to play to “honor” Sean Taylor or because it is “what he’d want.” I don’t know what he’d want. All I know is what I saw. I saw a man who belonged on a football field. Was that his most important defining role as a person? Absolutely not. He was a son, a father, a friend—all of those things mean more than being a football player. But Taylor WAS a football player, and he played the way everyone who loves the game wishes they could play.

The Redskins need to play because that is what they do. The game is how we are all connected. Without the game, none of this exists.

If the Redskins go on a winning streak the rest of this season, I will still feel joy. It will be a different type of joy than if this never happened, but it will be joy nonetheless. Only the joy will stem from the fact that they held each other up and continued to fight. The joy will come from the extension of the season. The longer we play, the longer we stay together this year.

The Redskins could go 0-16 for the next 100 years and none of those losses would matter as much as the loss of this one young man.

But how they play does matter. It’s who we all are.

If it’s just a game, then why is there so much pain?

R.I.P. Sean. You are one of us forever.
Hail to the Redskins

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Feel for you Ed. Keeping this on sports it is a HUGE blow to the Redskins. I'm not sure if it is being forgotten but I haven't seen it said, Taylor was an absolute STUD football player. If he was a Bengal half of the Queen City would have his jersey.

He was headed for a Ronnie Lott-esque career.

HumnHilghtFreel
11-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Ed, I hope you don't mind, but I thought that what you wrote was wonderfully written, so I decided to link it on another board to share.

NorrisHopper30
11-27-2007, 11:03 PM
RIP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPR7vz-OvAw&feature=related

Talk about a football player..

Edskin
11-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Ed, I hope you don't mind, but I thought that what you wrote was wonderfully written, so I decided to link it on another board to share.

No, don't mind at all. Thank you for taking the time to read it.

George Foster
11-28-2007, 12:36 AM
I was sort of shocked he died. If you don't have a head injury, or vital organ injury with modern med, you think you are out of the woods if you make it to the hospital, and survive 24 hours. It was reported he was shot in the groin area. It was also reported he squeezed the doctors hand upon command after surgery.

I just thought he would make it. Very sad.

bucksfan2
11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I hate to do it but I agree with Wilbon. I have a hard time trying to believe that Taylor's past trangressions didn't have an impact on his death. It is also a sad story if the man had begun to turn his life around. I had always view Taylor as one heck of a football player but not a guy I would want to associate with. The circumstances surrounding his death are bizzare and I sincerely hope this wasn't an inside job. I feel bad for his team mates because they are now force to perform in a very dangerous enviornment when their focus won't entirely be on the field.

westofyou
11-28-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702537.html

Simple Dignity

By Thomas Boswell
Wednesday, November 28, 2007; E01

The only responses to death that seem appropriate, even if they don't feel adequate, are the simplest. Those who find a calm center of themselves from which to speak sincerely at such times are fairly rare. Sean Taylor deserved such words -- of praise and pity, appreciation and remembrance -- from the coach and owner of the team he played for.

And yesterday afternoon, Joe Gibbs and Daniel Snyder did Taylor justice, bringing dignity to the most sorrowful day ever at Redskins Park. "Our hearts, our prayers, our thoughts are with Sean Taylor's family. . . . We really are so saddened by what has taken place. We really will miss Sean," Snyder said quietly, his grief obvious after spending much of the previous 24 hours with Taylor's family at the Miami hospital where the Washington Redskins safety died just before dawn yesterday. "I think it is just an incredibly difficult time. . . . It is a shock and it is just a terrible, terrible tragedy. It is pretty rough."

Snyder's best and least-seen side is his softest. When he and his wife are helping Children's Hospital and the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, when he worries about the illnesses of ex-employees, he almost is unrecognizable from the fellow who seems tempted to act like a tough-guy billionaire around his large and violent athletes.

Of course, sitting beside Gibbs seems to bring out the best in anybody. Perhaps no one knows what "authenticity" means, except that it is different for everyone -- being genuine, yourself, without a disguise, especially at the most difficult times. As Gibbs always affirms, his personality is rooted in his faith. But that faith is to some degree linked directly to his humility. Perhaps no famous coach in any sport has so little difficulty saying, "I don't know." And every time he says it, you respect him more and suspect there is plenty he does know. In the face of the killing of a 24-year-old, with plenty of mystery still surrounding the circumstances of his shooting, perhaps nothing is as healing as such a lack of ego.

"I've never dealt with this before. I don't know how we'll deal with it except we're all going to do it together," said Gibbs, shredding the coaches' cliche manual and trusting his feelings, including his doubts. "Each person here has to deal with it in his own way. . . . There are certain things in life you can't control. This is one of them. I just want to do the best I can at getting through this the right way."

While many athletes, forced to produce a comment, fall back on the bromide that "this puts things in perspective," Gibbs, whose 67th birthday was Sunday, seemed genuinely, deeply shaken. "From the time Dan called me, [it] probably makes you reflect on a lot of things for yourself personally," Gibbs said. "Where do you put your occupation? Where do you put your friends? Your family? Your kids? Your grandkids? And you realize life is so fragile. . . . It's hard to concentrate on football."

Perhaps nobody has seen the changes in Taylor in the last 18 months more clearly than Gibbs. Except for Taylor's friends and family, perhaps few people have as sharp a sense of loss as the coach who saw a gifted, immature problem child turning into a team leader, responsible adult and Pro Bowl safety. "Sean had a great sense of humor," Gibbs said. "He would joke with me a little bit about different things that he had gone through at different times."

And they'd gone through plenty since both arrived in '04 -- the coach who was a grandfather and the No. 5 draft pick whom the Giants' Jeremy Shockey described as "kind of a wild child" after their years at the anything-goes University of Miami.

When Taylor arrived, he wore his practice pants so baggy and low that when he reached up for a pass with one hand, he often had to reach down with the other hand to keep them from falling around his ankles. Sometimes, the young fashion victim missed his pants and stumbled down the field. In those first couple of years, Taylor bent or ignored Gibbs's preferences, and even his rules, more than any young player he'd ever had. For established stars, Gibbs often made accommodations. But only for Taylor, whose talent seemed limitless but whose defiant attitude was sometimes impenetrable, did Gibbs allow himself to look foolish. One offseason, Taylor ignored Gibbs's cellphone calls, joking with friends as the phone rang that it was his coach. He wasn't going to answer and had no plans to return the call; it was vacation time in Miami -- his life, his party and his risky fun. The most frightening of Taylor's escapades -- a year-long legal case -- looked as if it might even land him in jail. But Taylor accepted a plea bargain with reduced charges and probation, after being charged with brandishing a gun in an argument over what he claimed was the theft of two of his all-terrain vehicles.

Then, after the birth of his daughter in '06, everyone on the Redskins who knows Taylor said he changed radically. Gibbs grasped that evolution, too. Like Taylor, Gibbs had been the son of a policeman in the South. At some point, against that background, isn't rebellion almost a given? "There was a period in college . . . I ran amok," Gibbs said yesterday. "As far as [needing to] grow up, I think that certainly happened to me. . . . I think Sean was that way. . . . When you have a child, that's the first time I thought, 'I have to totally sacrifice myself.' A lot of us go through that."

So, by this season, Taylor was partly misunderstood by many -- and let's not sugarcoat this, partly perfectly understood, too -- and was ready to move to another stage of his life. Gone was the player who was ejected from a playoff game for spitting on an opponent. The missed assignments and blown tackles that marred Taylor's play in his lust for breathtaking, brutal highlight-film hits were replaced by film study, skull sessions with former Redskins stars and a fitness regimen that included becoming a vegetarian. "It scared me a little bit he was getting so thin," Gibbs said.

Then, recently, things started to happen that still aren't understood entirely by police.

Last week, Taylor, who was out with an injury the past two games, asked Gibbs for permission to go back to his Miami home, which had been burglarized. Taylor returned to Washington in midweek, took treatment on his knee at Redskins Park on Saturday but returned to Miami on Sunday. He didn't tell the Redskins. He didn't have to. But they probably wouldn't have liked it. Injured knees don't like extra plane flights. Was he getting a second medical opinion? That's still fuzzy.

Did the person who killed Taylor know he was back in town and in his house at 1:45 a.m. Monday? Was the killer a character "out of the past"? Or is that an unfair assumption, perhaps a form of stereotyping? After all, in the last two years other athletes have been the victims of harrowing home-invasion burglaries. Being a famous athlete can make one a target.

Perhaps time, and the police, will provide justice and, with it, clarity. For now, what we have is pain. Hundreds of fans paid their respects yesterday on a raw day, left flowers and took pictures of a large "21" the Redskins painted in the grass in a parking lot at their facility. A handful of players made brief comments, such as quarterback Jason Campbell, who said: "It's like we lost a family member. . . . If you just look at him from the way he has changed over the last year, it has been outstanding to have the opportunity to spend time with him because he is just such a special person."

Perhaps Gibbs summed up what Redskins fans will remember and treasure most -- the image of the football player who flew around the field with abandon.

"He was one of those guys that was made to play football," Gibbs said. "He had an athletic arrogance about that. He said: 'Hey, this is where I belong. I belong on the big stage.' "

Now that stage is empty.

Edskin
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks WOY...Boswell is great.

WVPacman
11-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Im a Redskins fan and I watched Taylor all the four years he was here.The first two years he got into trouble with the law with one arrest that included him getting his Atvs back or something.The other was for driving drunk.Let me tell you guys something thow when that little girl was born it was like a light come on and from what I seen and heard he changed b/c he knew he had to for that little girl of his.

I have seen nothing but bad things said about him on tv and it really makes me mad b/c the last two years he really did change and people on tv does'nt want to tell the good things that happened in his last two years of living and its sad.People forgets that he was only in his early 20;s and kids that age are always getting in trouble b/c they're still kids.The Redskins fans and exspecially the team will be hurting from this for a very long time.We lost a great player that was going to lead our defense to bigger and better things.He was our best defensive player on the team and we will difenently miss that.Most inportantly is we lost a great human being that really grew up and changed his ways the last two years of his life.

I already have seen one or two posts with posters calling him a thug and thats your opinion and I can respect that BUT to all of us from Redskin nation he will be remembered as a great young man that loved the game of football,,his teamates,coachs,and fans.A guy that changed his ways b/c of his little girl.RIP Sean Taylor,you will be missed!!!!

cumberlandreds
11-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Antrel Rolle who was a lifelong friend of Taylors says that Taylor was targeted by some from his past.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=293&sid=1300686

Gainesville Red
11-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Jason Whitlock's take.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442

George Foster
11-29-2007, 11:37 PM
The cops said today they have no reason or evidence to suggest that this is nothing more than a radom shooting during a burglery.
What are they smoking?

Taylor's house was busted into last week and it was reported that a hatchet or big kitchen knife was left on the master bed pillow.
That's something out of the "Godfather."

This was a planned murder. They cut the telephone lines. Burglers want to steal stuff, not bust through locked doors and shoot people.

If someone did that to my house and I was making the money Taylor was making, I would have an armed bodyguard protecting my family and my house. What was he doing in that house anyway?

Chip R
11-29-2007, 11:41 PM
The cops said today they have no reason or evidence to suggest that this is nothing more than a radom shooting during a burglery.
What are they smoking?

I just hope they are saying that for public consumption so as to not cause a panic. Hopefully they are treating this case differently than what they are saying.

Gainesville Red
11-29-2007, 11:53 PM
I've written a couple of articles on the crime beat for the Alligator here, and it's frustrating dealing with the police at times.

They just can't tip their hand right now. You know there's more and they know you know there's more, they just can't say it. You're editor wants you to get more, but sometimes there's just not more to get right now.

There's more here, it just can't come out right now.

SeeinRed
11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
MIAMI (AP) -- Police have detained at least three people in the Fort Myers area for questioning in the death of Washington Redskins football star Sean Taylor.

A law enforcement official in Lee County confirmed the men from the Fort Myers area were in custody, but requested anonymity because the investigation is being handled by Miami-Dade County police.

Miami-Dade police Detective Carlos Maura said he was not aware of anyone in custody. He said only that detectives were in the Fort Myers area for a case, but declined to say which one.

The Miami Herald, which first reported the development on its Web site, said investigators believe three suspects learned of Taylor's house through someone who unwittingly set up the burglary by bragging about his wealth. The suspects include two teenagers and a man in his 20s, all from the Fort Myers area, the paper reported.

A telephone message left at the Florida City Police Department for Taylor's father, Chief Pedro Taylor, was not immediately returned.

Richard Sharpstein, a former Taylor lawyer and family friend, said: "It looks like the police are pursuing extremely good leads.

It appears that the burglary was exactly as I've always stated, not random, that Sean's house was targeted."

Evidence at Taylor's home indicated one or more intruders barged into the house early Monday in an attempted burglary, Miami-Dade police director Robert Parker said Wednesday. After a confrontation inside the home, Taylor was shot once in the upper leg and died early Tuesday after losing a tremendous amount of blood.

Taylor's family has scheduled a funeral service for 11 a.m. Monday at Pharmed Arena at Florida International University in Miami.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

HumnHilghtFreel
11-30-2007, 06:10 PM
It appears Dan Snyder has started up a trust fund for Taylor's daughter.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/11/fund_for_seans_daughter_jackie.html

paintmered
11-30-2007, 06:15 PM
NM.

Chip R
11-30-2007, 10:10 PM
It appears Dan Snyder has started up a trust fund for Taylor's daughter.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/11/fund_for_seans_daughter_jackie.html

That's a helluva nice thing to do.

Cedric
11-30-2007, 10:30 PM
That's a helluva nice thing to do.

It is. Sean Taylor is another sad story of a life lost for such a stupid reason. From all accounts he had really changed his life around and now his family/friends won't get to see that maturation and growth. Just sad.

Chip R
11-30-2007, 10:50 PM
4 people have been arrested in this case now.

CTA513
11-30-2007, 11:10 PM
4 people have been arrested in this case now.

According to the Miami Herald website these are the 4 guys arrested so far:
Jason Mitchell, 19, Eric Rivera, 17, Charles Wardlow, 18 and Venjah Hunte, 20.

Sabo Fan
11-30-2007, 11:31 PM
According to the Miami Herald website these are the 4 guys arrested so far:
Jason Mitchell, 19, Eric Rivera, 17, Charles Wardlow, 18 and Venjah Hunte, 20.

Pure, wild speculation on my part: while age alone isn't necessarily a determining factor, I can't see 17 and 18 year olds running around with a guy like Sean Taylor. Sounds to me like if they were involved directly with his shooting that they were someone else's pawns, young kids who were told to do the dirty work. Whoever it was that had it in for Taylor likely didn't have the guts to do it themselves so they brought in some kids to act as their proxies. Even if they weren't involved directly the good news here is that teenagers are much more likely to talk than if the police had detained four older guys.

MWM
12-01-2007, 12:49 AM
Apparently, they came across someone who was at some kind of birthday party at Taylor's when he wasn't even there. this person was talking about all the "stuff" that was there. They targeted him because he's so rarely there during the football season. They weren't expecting him to be there. This makes a lot of sense. The only thing that doesn't quite fit perfectly is the fact that if they thought no one was there, and they were robbing the place, then why did they force their way into the bedroom where he was. It could be because they heard something in his room. Either way, I'm sure there was a reason.

But it's looking like this had nothing to do with his so-called "checkered" past and everything to do with the opportunity for a good robbery. The only possible positive to all of this is that if he wasn't there, his girlfriend and daughter may have been hurt. I was never a fan of his, but this is so irritating because it was senseless. Stuff like this should never happen.

SeeinRed
12-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Apparently, they came across someone who was at some kind of birthday party at Taylor's when he wasn't even there. this person was talking about all the "stuff" that was there. They targeted him because he's so rarely there during the football season. They weren't expecting him to be there. This makes a lot of sense. The only thing that doesn't quite fit perfectly is the fact that if they thought no one was there, and they were robbing the place, then why did they force their way into the bedroom where he was. It could be because they heard something in his room. Either way, I'm sure there was a reason.

But it's looking like this had nothing to do with his so-called "checkered" past and everything to do with the opportunity for a good robbery. The only possible positive to all of this is that if he wasn't there, his girlfriend and daughter may have been hurt. I was never a fan of his, but this is so irritating because it was senseless. Stuff like this should never happen.

I believe they may have forced their way into his room because they were unfamiliar with the house and were trying to see what they could find of value. Whats the first thing people do when they hear something in their house? They get quiet because the are afraid they will be heard. Taylor was probably even tip toeing towards the door. He may have even left the light off. Guess I should be a detective. I picked up right away that they probably thought he would be off playing football.:cool: But seriously, these criminals were begging to be caught if you ask me. Ripping off a high profile athlete isn't something you get away with.

Edskin
12-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Lots of people in the media owe Sean and his family and apology... a few people on this board as well.

SeeinRed
12-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Lots of people in the media owe Sean and his family and apology... a few people on this board as well.

I will have to agree with that. In this case, tasteful writing is all about timing. For some, the timing was absolutely awful.

WMR
12-01-2007, 02:56 PM
The suspects:

http://greetings.123city.net/TempPictures/69154.jpg

MaineRed
12-01-2007, 03:11 PM

Good luck with that!

KittyDuran
12-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Lots of people in the media owe Sean and his family and apology... a few people on this board as well.The media, yes, and maybe some will. But the fans (who get most of their information from the media - pro and con) probably not. It would be nice, tho'.

Sort of reminds me of Creem's magazine's condolences when some of Lynyrd Skynyrd's members died in the plane crash in 1977. The review for the album "Street Survivors" came out the month of the crash - and Creem trashed the album - but caught the publication in time to issue condolences for the band. I read it and said "Sure...". :rolleyes: Now that a third of the band is dead you say nice things, but do you really mean it?

Razor Shines
12-02-2007, 12:58 PM
On the Fox pre-game show it was reported that the Skins will take the field for their first defensive series with 10 players. I wonder what Buffalo will do.

camisadelgolf
12-02-2007, 01:13 PM
On the Fox pre-game show it was reported that the Skins will take the field for their first defensive series with 10 players. I wonder what Buffalo will do.

Unless it's against the Bengals defense, I don't think the Bills could do anything even if the Skins had only nine players on the field.

BuckWoody
12-02-2007, 01:24 PM

They did indeed start with 10 on defense...and gave up a 22 yard run to the outside.

Regardless, it was a nice gesture. Reminds me of USC in their first game this year. They sent out the PAT team without the kicker to honor their kicker who died in the off-season.

WMR
12-02-2007, 06:15 PM
For the record, I certainly regret saying what I did about Sean Taylor when I said it. When I saw he got shot in the leg, in no way did I think his life was on the line. It appears he truly had turned his life around, and to castigate him as still living the thug life was incorrect on my part. RIP.

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2007, 06:31 PM
For the record, I certainly regret saying what I did about Sean Taylor when I said it. When I saw he got shot in the leg, in no way did I think his life was on the line. It appears he truly had turned his life around, and to castigate him as still living the thug life was incorrect on my part. RIP.

I understood what you were saying. I think most of us knew didn't want anything happen to him or anything of that sort. What you said certainly didn't justify someone calling you a bozo.

SteelSD
12-04-2007, 01:58 AM
After seeing Drew Rosenhaus' tears when speaking at Taylor's funeral, I gained a lot of respect for Rosenhaus. He quite obviously cared about his client. Truly a tragic death that impacted a lot of people.

RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

camisadelgolf
12-04-2007, 02:56 AM
After seeing Drew Rosenhaus' tears when speaking at Taylor's funeral, I gained a lot of respect for Rosenhaus. He quite obviously cared about his client. Truly a tragic death that impacted a lot of people.

RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

That tear was because of the money he's losing out on. But seriously, even people who seem greedy have hearts--I'm not surprised.

WVPacman
12-05-2007, 12:17 AM
I agree with edskin,I to think everybody mainly the media should have to get on tv and apolozise.It won't happen but they should do that b/c they was wrong.I have been a lifelong Skins fan all my life and will be forever.I seen Sean Taylor change into a grown man.When that baby girl was born he seemed to change into a different person.Everytime I seen him on tv he was holding his baby girl!! That baby girl was his angel and now you can bet he is her angel thats watching her and taking care of her from heaven.RIP Sean Taylor!!

Caveat Emperor
12-05-2007, 12:31 AM
I agree with edskin,I to think everybody mainly the media should have to get on tv and apolozise.It won't happen but they should do that b/c they was wrong.

I don't think the media should apologize to anyone in this case. Sean Taylor had mistakes in his past and those mistakes, like all mistakes, have lingering consequences -- one of which is to call your character and culpability into question when situations like these arise. These are the consequences you have to live with as a result of actions you took in the past.

Furthermore, I don't understand why everyone or anyone would expect this matter to have been covered any differently than it was.

Twenty-four hour news agencies and 24 hour sports reporting have resulted in the viewer witnessing the entire news-gathering process. We witness the breaking news, the live feed, the speculation, the information gathering, the interviewing, and finally the conclusion and final story as they occur. The process is subject to in-progress revision, misdirection, and outright misinformation. It used to be a writer did all of this before having his piece fact-checked, reviewed by an editor and finally published. Now? The demand for instant information overrides all.

If you don't have the story first, someone else will. Good luck selling your advertisers on eventually being right while someone else has attracted all of the viewers on the process.

Cedric
12-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Oddly enough I was on a plane coming back from Atlanta today and Chris Henry was on it with his gf/wife and baby boy.

It was a small Air Tran flight and he was courteous when I said I was rooting for him. He also seemed to give more attention to his baby boy than about any guy I've seen in awhile. The kid never left his arms from the gate until Dayton.
I don't like going up to celebrities/athletes and bothering them. He just happened to be sitting across from me at the airport gate and it was a small plane.

I added this into the thread because earlier people were questioning/wondering about Henry.

I could write for days on the senseless death of Sean Taylor and how it is destroying our community. Just terrible.

WVPacman
12-05-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't think the media should apologize to anyone in this case. Sean Taylor had mistakes in his past and those mistakes, like all mistakes, have lingering consequences -- one of which is to call your character and culpability into question when situations like these arise. These are the consequences you have to live with as a result of actions you took in the past.

Same could be said about evil kenievel b/c I seen in my local paper today that a woman was sueing for more money b/c Kenevel went into rage with a ball bat and shattered her arm.Evel had to live with the consequesnces BUT did the news media talk about that when he died?? No!! So if the media did'nt bring up that episode about Evel beating somebody up and shattering her arm then they did'nt have to talk endlessly about Taylors past.

Chip R
12-05-2007, 06:36 PM
Same could be said about evil kenievel b/c I seen in my local paper today that a woman was sueing for more money b/c Kenevel went into rage with a ball bat and shattered her arm.Evel had to live with the consequesnces BUT did the news media talk about that when he died?? No!! So if the media did'nt bring up that episode about Evel beating somebody up and shattering her arm then they did'nt have to talk endlessly about Taylors past.

Actually it's a guy named Shelly - short for Sheldon.

CrackerJack
12-05-2007, 07:24 PM

Actually Jim Rome went on and on about it the other day (Monday I believe). Then I saw the front page Yahoo story on the author he attacked as well.

Evel was never really regretful and faked it when it served his purpose etc.., To Rome his only regret was that "he didn't send someone" instead, to do the deed.

I also heard where he bet a finger on a golf game, and when he lost, he cut the tip of his finger off with a shovel right there on the course. Then offered to play the guy for an arm. He was denied.

So, I'm not sure his dirty laundry wasn't also aired, it was just of a different nature.