PDA

View Full Version : Can the Dolphins have a perfect 0-16 record

AmarilloRed
11-27-2007, 12:03 AM
I just watched the end of the Steelers-Dolphins game tonight, and the Dolphins fulfilled their fate by losing the game 3-0. If they really had a chance to win a game this year, certainly it was tonight. I get the feeling fate is rewarding the 1972 unbeaten Dolphins team by celebrating every time a perfect team loses. It may very well be that this year the Dolphins get the worst of both worlds: the Patriots have a better unbeaten season and the Dolphins manage to play a winless season. They still have 6 games to avoid their fate however. I hope they win one and avoid going 0-16, but their behavior the last couple of years will generate very little sympathy from anyone if it manages to happen.

forfreelin04
11-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Prediction: They Beat the Bengals just to add insult to injury in the last game of the season. Finishing with an astonisting 1-15 record.

savafan
11-27-2007, 01:04 AM
It's possible, which is sad because they're not that bad of a football team.

I'd love to see them get their only win against the Patriots

KronoRed
11-27-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm rooting for it, perfect regular season from both sides :D

Caveat Emperor
11-27-2007, 02:41 AM
As a lifelong Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan, I can only pray.

MrCinatit
11-27-2007, 08:06 AM
If I'm the Steelers, I am embarrassed the game was that close.

Prediction: They Beat the Bengals just to add insult to injury in the last game of the season. Finishing with an astonisting 1-15 record.

If they are still winless at that point, I as a Bengals fan am very nervous. As untalented as they are, the Dolphins will be a bit angry...they will be doing their mightiest to not lose that game.
The Bengals, meanwhile, will have nothing to gain from the game and nothing to lose.

HumnHilghtFreel
11-27-2007, 08:10 AM

I only saw the final minutes of the game... but if the field was like that the whole time, I'm surprised anyone scored at all. That was a mess.

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 08:19 AM

If you were a Steeler fan you might have actually watched the game. The Steelers have nothing to be embarrassed about.

That was the 6th time this season the Dolphins have lost by a field goal.

MrCinatit
11-27-2007, 08:20 AM
I only saw the final minutes of the game... but if the field was like that the whole time, I'm surprised anyone scored at all. That was a mess.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to see the game (work). Was it a mess?
I kind of like those sloppy-field games.

blumj
11-27-2007, 08:31 AM
They were playing in a swamp. Nobody should be embarrassed for not scoring in that. Plus, the Dolphins have now lost 6 of their games by only 3 points, they're not really as bad as their record. Football Outsiders has them ranked 25th, with 3.3 estimated wins. For contrast, they have SF ranked last, with 1.3 estimated wins.

Reds Fanatic
11-27-2007, 08:32 AM
The field was a total mess. Probably the worst I have ever seen. The Steelers field is always in bad shape but this time there had been several high school and college games on the field recently so they decided to resod the field on Saturday. Heavy rains hit and the newly sodded field had no where to drain. In fact they had to puncture holes in the field just to try to get some water off the field. That team needs a new turf and they need to stop having that many games played on their field days before an NFL game.

Yachtzee
11-27-2007, 08:38 AM
The field was a total mess. Probably the worst I have ever seen. The Steelers field is always in bad shape but this time there had been several high school and college games on the field recently so they decided to resod the field on Saturday. Heavy rains hit and the newly sodded field had no where to drain. In fact they had to puncture holes in the field just to try to get some water off the field. That team needs a new turf and they need to stop having that many games played on their field days before an NFL game.

After the fit everyone pitched about the Bengals field a few years back, I'm surprised the NFL hasn't pressured Pittsburgh to move to Field Turf yet. The fields in Pittsburgh and Cleveland both get really sloppy at the end of the season, so much so that you start to worry about injuries. It will probably take a season ending injury to a star player before they make a change though.

HumnHilghtFreel
11-27-2007, 09:05 AM

A punt came down and didn't bounce. It simply stuck right where it landed.

They laid the new sod on top of the old, so there was absolutely no drainage and it happened to pour down rain.

SteelSD
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
A punt came down and didn't bounce. It simply stuck right where it landed.

Yup. It was like a football-shaped lawn dart. My wife had to ask me why I was laughing so hard.

They laid the new sod on top of the old, so there was absolutely no drainage and it happened to pour down rain.

It was beyond awful with the new sod layed over the old. That field has always been bad. I have no idea why they allow non-Steeler games to be played on it during the season.

WMR
11-27-2007, 11:40 AM
Yup. It was like a football-shaped lawn dart. My wife had to ask me why I was laughing so hard.

It was beyond awful with the new sod layed over the old. That field has always been bad. I have no idea why they allow non-Steeler games to be played on it during the season.

I think it was a requirement to get the taxpayers of Pittsburgh to pick up a considerable portion of the bill.

WebScorpion
11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
The Bengals get to play on that field next week. It's a Sunday night game, so maybe they'll get lucky and it'll get cold enough to freeze the sod. :rolleyes:

For Miami to go 0-16 and New England go 16-0, a 14-0 Patriot team who have probably clinched home field advantage throughout the playoffs will need to defeat a 0-14 Miami team who will be fired up to ruin both perfect seasons. I think if they get to that point the Dolphins will find a way to win that one.

Roy Tucker
11-27-2007, 11:59 AM
The oddest thing was that most of the lines on the field got pulled off with the tarp. If it wasn't for the computer-generated line of scrimmage and first down lines, it was really hard to tell just where the heck the ball was.

And that jart-like landing of a punt was hilarious. I can honestly say, I've never seen that before.

Dolphins defense looked pretty good. That QB Beck looks like he has some promise as well. Miami RBs took some absolutely wicked shots from the Steeler DBs. I think their coach made a mistake by not trying a field goal in mid-4th quarter after the penalty. I found the game interesting (unlike the MNF crew).

Caveat Emperor
11-27-2007, 02:21 PM

I watched the game. I thought it was a statement game by Pittsburgh.

Horrific play conditions and they managed to get out with a win. In a situation where the field is that bad and the weather even worse, any talent differences are basically evened out and you feel lucky to get out with a W.

redsfanmia
11-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Cam Cameron is a joke of a coach and he should reward the Dolphins brilliant front office for hiring him by going a perfect 0-16. How anyone could hire him as a head coach again after the way he destroyed the Indiana football program is beyond me.

SeeinRed
11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Well, they will have to make their fruitless quest without Ricky Williams. ESPN says sources tell them he has a torn muscle in his chest.

WMR
11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Cam Cameron is a joke of a coach and he should reward the Dolphins brilliant front office for hiring him by going a perfect 0-16. How anyone could hire him as a head coach again after the way he destroyed the Indiana football program is beyond me.

The funniest part is hearing his post-game press conferences. You'd think the Dolphins are in the play-offs the way he kisses butt and "applauds their effort." :lol:

MaineRed
11-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Well Isiah Thomas ran the Raptors, Pacers and the CBA into the ground and he keeps on getting hired. He'll soon be canned in New York and coaching the Bulls before you know it. They'll probably give him 50% ownership as part of the deal as well.

I would say with about 50% of coaching hires I am shocked by the choice.

Sean_CaseyRules
11-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Well, they will have to make their fruitless quest without Ricky Williams. ESPN says sources tell them he has a torn muscle in his chest.

Cause he got stomped by a steeler.....

redsfanmia
12-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Looks like the Dolphins are blowing their chance for a win against the Jets. I love it.

KronoRed
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
With FIU's win yesterday to cap an 1-11 season the Dolphins are really letting south Florida football down

GoGoWhiteSox
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Well, they lost to the Jets at home today 40-13.

This is a bad team, plain and simple.

Matt700wlw
12-03-2007, 12:13 AM
There's one thing standing between Miami and their shot at history...

The Bengals.

George Foster
12-03-2007, 12:43 AM
There's one thing standing between Miami and their shot at history...

The Bengals.

that would be the perfect ending to a great season for the bengals:D

Matt700wlw
12-03-2007, 12:46 AM
that would be the perfect ending to a great season for the bengals:D

I could totally see it happen...

It would be so Bengalish.

WMR
12-16-2007, 04:20 PM
The Dolphins have won. :redface:

WMR
12-16-2007, 04:20 PM
At least Baltimore gets the humiliation instead of the Bungles.

Caveat Emperor
12-16-2007, 04:22 PM
The sound you just heard was the '76 Bucs popping open a case of Natty Light and preparing to drink until the memories go away.

redsfanmia
12-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Its a shame that they won, Brian Billick should be fired asap.

Caveat Emperor
12-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Strangely enough, on the same day that Miami avoided going 0-14 (as the '76 Bucs did), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers returned their 1st kickoff return for a touchdown in franchise history.

31 years, over 1,800 kickoffs. Finally, the first one to go for a TD.

Football is cool.

Highlifeman21
12-16-2007, 04:36 PM
The Dolphins will end up being a 2 Win ballclub after they beat the Bengals, b/c I'm convinced that the Bengals are back to being pathetic.

In the process, we'll magically end up running Chad Johnson out of town.

Not a good time to be a Bengals fan, especially with the Browns having 9 Wins with Derek freakin' Anderson under center.

redsfanmia
12-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Hopefully they can take down the evil Patriots next week.

KronoRed
12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
It's a sad day for history

remdog
12-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I watched much of the Jets-Pats game and the Jets, with some better coaching decisions and a break here or there could have won that game. The weather, of course, was a big factor there but that's what you have to go through during a football season, especially playing in New England. In that sense the Pats may have a bigger challenge to go undefeated than the 'fins did due to a higher propensity for bad weather skewing the level of play.

Rem

MrCinatit
12-16-2007, 06:47 PM
The Dolphins will end up being a 2 Win ballclub after they beat the Bengals, b/c I'm convinced that the Bengals are back to being pathetic.
In the process, we'll magically end up running Chad Johnson out of town.
Not a good time to be a Bengals fan, especially with the Browns having 9 Wins with Derek freakin' Anderson under center.

It is a good thing the Ravens dropped the game, because I have this pit in my stomach telling me the Bengals will roll over so quickly in that game, it is not funny.
Unfortunately, I believe you are right about Johnson. The fans are looking for someone to blame - and it easier to blame a big name receiver than to blame a faceless owner again.

Redsfan08
12-16-2007, 08:36 PM
1-13 hey win lose or tie im a dolfan till I die

Sean_CaseyRules
12-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Not going to happen baby!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 22-16 OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blumj
12-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Hopefully they can take down the evil Patriots next week.
Every time someone calls the Pats "evil", all I can think of are cartoon villains like Snidely Whiplash, and I get this mental picture of Belichick in his ratty old hoodie tying some poor girl to the railroad tracks. Or Bob Kraft as Goldfinger, with a bizarre, convoluted plot to take over the world.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-16-2007, 11:41 PM
1-13 hey win lose or tie im a dolfan till I die

I hear that bud!!! :beerme: :beerme: