PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of changing GABP name?

NorrisHopper30
11-27-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't know all of the details and things that go on into renaming a ball park, but what are the odds or chances that we rename it after Joe Nuxhall?

I think that's the least we can do to celebrate his life and career.

mroby85
11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
I highly doubt it to be honest, if they started doing that, it would be hard to single out just one player.

*BaseClogger*
11-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Well, how about Joe Nuxhall Field at Great American Ballpark? You know, like they do with Mile High now...

Doro
11-28-2007, 01:01 AM
I'd say no chance unless someone paid a ton of money out of their pocket to do so. Its sad the everything has come to money.

CarolinaRedleg
11-28-2007, 08:03 AM
I'd say the "Joe Nuxhall Memorial Pressbox" (or something along those lines) stands an OK chance of happening if anything does.

rotnoid
11-28-2007, 08:26 AM
I'd say the "Joe Nuxhall Memorial Pressbox" (or something along those lines) stands an OK chance of happening if anything does.

That's the way I'd go. I've heard the idea of renaming the field after Joe and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a rip on Joe at all. I love Joe as much as the next guy. I'm just not sure how appropriate it is to single out one player from the Reds storied history.

As for renaming the entire stadium, never happen, unless it was Joe Nuxhall Parks sponsored by Kroger or whoever. Money talks in the stadium naming game, especially in baseball. With no salary cap, you have to get revenue wherever you can to stay competitive.

Carin4Narron
11-28-2007, 08:51 AM
No disrespect to Joe,but what happens when Pete, Sparky or J.B. die, you can't rename the field for every guy who passes away. The best thing to do, like a guy said above name the press box or Reds radio booth after Joe

durl
11-28-2007, 09:14 AM
That's the way I'd go. I've heard the idea of renaming the field after Joe and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a rip on Joe at all. I love Joe as much as the next guy. I'm just not sure how appropriate it is to single out one player from the Reds storied history.

+1

When you start renaming a field or a park, you open up the door for people to get upset at their favorite player being "snubbed." The Reds Hall of Fame ensures that those that mean a lot to the Reds franchise can be honored. The city can also choose to honor Joe by naming a street after him (if they haven't already...I'm not sure).

No disrespect to Joe,but what happens when Pete, Sparky or J.B. die, you can't rename the field for every guy who passes away. The best thing to do, like a guy said above name the press box or Reds radio booth after Joe

I agree completely.

Hey Meat
11-28-2007, 12:11 PM
+1

When you start renaming a field or a park, you open up the door for people to get upset at their favorite player being "snubbed." The Reds Hall of Fame ensures that those that mean a lot to the Reds franchise can be honored. The city can also choose to honor Joe by naming a street after him (if they haven't already...I'm not sure).

I agree completely.

The bottom line is money. You take away the name of a sponsor and you lose money.

terminator
11-28-2007, 12:24 PM
1. Castellini has already said the field won't be renamed for Joe because it would be too complicated.

2. I think Great American signed a 20 year deal (could have been 30 years) for the naming rights to the stadium.

I'm not sure it really matters though whether they name something after Joe or not. He already has the honor of a statue outside of GABP and his catch phrase on the side of the place. No one who knew/heard him will forget him and in thirty years they'll want to take down his statue (who was this Nuxhall guy?) and replace it with a statue of the ten time Cy Young Award winning Homer Bailey.

BurgervilleBuck
11-28-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure it really matters though whether they name something after Joe or not. He already has the honor of a statue outside of GABP and his catch phrase on the side of the place.
True that. The Reds honored him before his passing and, to me, that's more important. He knew how important he was to the Reds and the city.

No one who knew/heard him will forget him and in thirty years they'll want to take down his statue (who was this Nuxhall guy?) and replace it with a statue of the ten time Cy Young Award winning Homer Bailey.
Is that before or after they take down whomever that Lombardi guy was for the Johnny Bench statue?

Vada Pinson Fan
11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
I agree with the naming of the pressbox or radio booth after Joe Nuxhall. That would be appropriate. The statue of Joe on Crosley terrace says it all! Getting him elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame (broadcasters/writers wing) would delight the Nuxhall family so much more than renaming Great American Ball Park after Nuxie. As modest as Joe was, I don't think he would want the stadium renamed for him due to his respect for other former Reds.

Joe has earned the following tributes and honors at GABP-
1.) The Reds Hall of Fame
2.) The bronze statue
3.) Having his "microphone" retired along with Marty's and Waite Hoyt's.
4.) His signature line- "Rounding third and heading for home" on a banner outside the park.

...and I heard this on WLW the other day- Ken Griffey Jr. has reportedly suggested the Reds wear a predominately black uniform with Joe's number 39 and/or 41 on each player's uniform (sleeve most likely) to honor and remember Joe on Opening Day 2008. That would be a nice way to honor Joe.

If MLB had a problem with that, how about each player wear an entirely black, left arm (only) sleeve with "Nuxie 41" on it, for Opening Day 2008, as a way to salute the Ol' Lefthander? Just a thought. Oh yeah, please continue to vote for Joe for the Ford C. Frick award at http:www.mlb.com Thank You!

reds1869
11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
If MLB had a problem with that, how about each player wear an entirely black, left arm (only) sleeve with "Nuxie 41" on it, for Opening Day 2008, as a way to salute the Ol' Lefthander? Just a thought. Oh yeah, please continue to vote for Joe for the Ford C. Frick award at http:www.mlb.com Thank You!

I think wearing a patch would be a wonderful thing to do. MLB would almost certainly approve such a gesture.

redsfan1966
11-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Renaming the press box is the best idea I have heard. Plus, it is the most fitting tribute as well. Nuxie is probably best known by most for his radio work.

Dunner44
11-29-2007, 08:08 AM
2. I think Great American signed a 20 year deal (could have been 30 years) for the naming rights to the stadium.

I think it was even more ridiculous than that. If I remember correctly, it was something like a 75 year deal. Sure, Carl will be paying for naming rights each of those years, but I bet he's not paying market price. But I always kind of liked GABP. It was only after my third time there that someone pointed out it was named after Uncle Carl's company. I had just thought it was a homage to the Reds' storied history, and thats how I'll continue to think of it.

And I agree, rename the pressbox.

fourrunhomer
11-29-2007, 09:08 AM
This park hopefully will never be renamed. I haved despised the idea of renaming stadiums for corporations. I refused to call our old stadium anything but Riverfront Stadium. I typically do not even like them named for corporations when they are built. I don't need a reminder that to most people the game is all about the money now. But, also due to how often companies are bought and sold, go out of business, or worse yet have the debacle that was Enron. Once it is named, don't change it. I'm also not thrilled about owners naming stadia after themselves but do not have as much of a problem with that.
All this said, Great American Ball Park is one of the best names ever for a stadium. Yes, I hate that it is a corporate name but I refuse to acknowledge the origon of the name. To me it brings a sense of pride. Being able to watch the game I love, the team I love, in the country I love. It truly is a GREAT AMERICAN BALL PARK.

Caveman Techie
11-29-2007, 09:14 AM
I think it was even more ridiculous than that. If I remember correctly, it was something like a 75 year deal. Sure, Carl will be paying for naming rights each of those years, but I bet he's not paying market price. But I always kind of liked GABP. It was only after my third time there that someone pointed out it was named after Uncle Carl's company. I had just thought it was a homage to the Reds' storied history, and thats how I'll continue to think of it.

And I agree, rename the pressbox.

It was a 75 million dollar deal for 30 years. Basically 2.5 million a year.

Dunner44
11-29-2007, 07:48 PM
It was a 75 million dollar deal for 30 years. Basically 2.5 million a year.

Ah, thats where I got the number 75 from...

foxfire123
11-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I like the name Great American myself. Yeah, I know it's named after an insurance company technically, but can you think of a more perfect name for the home of the oldest franchise in the "great american sport"? :)

*BaseClogger*
11-29-2007, 07:51 PM
I like the name Great American myself. Yeah, I know it's named after an insurance company technically, but can you think of a more perfect name for the home of the oldest franchise in the "great american sport"? :)

most people up here don't even realize its a corporate name...

George Foster
11-29-2007, 10:46 PM

It's the perfect name for a baseball field....perfect.:usa: