PDA

View Full Version : Would you make a trade with the Cubs if..........

Triples
11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
"General manager Jim Hendry would like to add a left-handed power-hitting outfielder who can play right field, as well as pick up some left-handed help for the bench. Hendry has what he calls "inventory" and is able to make a deal" (per MLB.com) ........The Cubs have a surplus of pitching with Mark Prior, Michael Wuertz, Rich Hill, Jason Marquis, Ryan Dempster, Sean Marshall, Kevin Hart and Sean Gallagher as well as infielders Ronny Cedeno and Mike Fontenot that they apparently are willing to consider trading. Obviously, the Cubs are looking for a left hand power bat and left handed help off the bench. The Reds have a surplus of left handed bats. Would you make a trade with the evil Cubs (divisional foes or not) and if so what would you billing willing to give up and for what in return

ChatterRed
11-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Not sure I like any of those pitchers better than Bedard, Kazmier, Peavy, Blanton, Haren, etc..............

I'd rather see Hamilton in a deal for one of the pitchers I mentioned above.

AmarilloRed
11-29-2007, 02:44 PM
I would see if we could arrange a trade of Griffey Jr. or Adam Dunn(if we cannot re-sign him to a LTC) plus additional prospects to the Cubs for Rich Hill or Sean Marshall

durl
11-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Given the number of times we play divisional foes, I would not trade any of our power hitters for the Cubs' available pitchers.

BEETTLEBUG
11-29-2007, 03:15 PM
I Would Do Griffey & Cash For Hill. I Probabley Not Like It But I Would Do It.

dunner13
11-29-2007, 03:46 PM
If rich hill is available its going to take alot more than an old often injured outfielder to get him. Josh Hamilton for Hill might be doable though. The cubs might be interested in griffey but they are not going to give up one of their top pitchers for him.

muethibp
11-29-2007, 04:26 PM
If rich hill is available its going to take alot more than an old often injured outfielder to get him. Josh Hamilton for Hill might be doable though. The cubs might be interested in griffey but they are not going to give up one of their top pitchers for him.

I would love nothing more than getting Josh Hamilton from the Cubs for $25,000 of whatever it was and then trading him back to the Cubs for quality left-handed pitching. I would enjoy that.

Will M
11-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Griffey plus for Hill would be great!

Griffey for Marshall would be good.

I would NOT trade the Cubs Josh Hamilotn.

dunner13
11-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Griffey plus for Hill would be great!

Griffey for Marshall would be good.

I would NOT trade the Cubs Josh Hamilotn.

Think of it this way would you trade homer bailey for cliff floyd. Granted griffeys better then floyd but then again hills more proven at the major league level then bailey.

ChatterRed
11-29-2007, 05:17 PM
I would trade Hamilton straight up for Hill. Hill's numbers are improving each year.

Blue
11-29-2007, 05:46 PM
I'd keep Hamilton and not give the Cubs a lefty power bat that they desperately need and cannot fill from within. Go with Cueto, Maloney, and Bailey all in the rotation, if necessary.

By the way, Hill will be 28 at the start of this season, and only in his second year of pro ball. I wouldn't be surprised if MLB hitters figured him out soon.

ChatterRed
11-29-2007, 06:50 PM
He's improved his stats all 3 years. Usually it's the second season that they're "found" out.

AdamDunn
11-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Griffey, Hatteberg, and Stubbs for Rich Hill and Mark Prior?

*BaseClogger*
11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Put me in the Hamliton for Hill fanclub... that would shut me up about Snell!

Natty Redlocks
11-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Griffey and Freel for Dempster and Marshall.

That's one I could see the Cubs doing, if they miss out on Fukudome.

As others have said, they wouldn't give up Hill easily; definitely not for Junior.

*BaseClogger*
11-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Griffey and Freel for Dempster and Marshall.

That's one I could see the Cubs doing, if they miss out on Fukudome.

As others have said, they wouldn't give up Hill easily; definitely not for Junior.

I don't think they have that much excess pitching... both those guys are expected to compete for spots in the rotation

BEETTLEBUG
11-29-2007, 08:14 PM
What little would you give up if they to rest of Jason Marquis contract, or would we want him anyway?

*BaseClogger*
11-29-2007, 08:26 PM
What little would you give up if they to rest of Jason Marquis contract, or would we want him anyway?

how many more years are on the deal? We would only want one year

BEETTLEBUG
11-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Two I think maybe three.

Natty Redlocks
11-30-2007, 07:53 AM
I don't think they have that much excess pitching... both those guys are expected to compete for spots in the rotation

Wait; are you implying Prior may miss some starts? ;)

I believe they're not very high on Marshall, for whatever reason. They sat him for Steve Trachsel. He was showing signs of wearing down, I guess. But they already have two similar lefties in the rotation and I think what they really want is a hard-throwing righty.

As mediocre as Marquis is, he's a better option than Dempster, IMO.

Bottom line, they're happy with their top three and could fill out the bottom with guys like Gallagher and Hart in addition to Marquis and the ghost of Prior if need be.

I'm convinced Dempster to the rotation had more to do with opening up the closer role to get Wood to sign than anything else.

Another bottom line is that their pitching was pretty good this past year and they badly need to improve their offense.

rotnoid
11-30-2007, 09:51 AM
If the Cubs need left handed help, too bad. I'm not inclined to trade within the division, especially giving up proven talent for could be pitchers (Marshall and Gallagher). If the Cubs are going to suffer again, let it be. I'll sit back and enjoy the show.

scuba17
11-30-2007, 07:49 PM
If the Cubs need left handed help, too bad. I'm not inclined to trade within the division, especially giving up proven talent for could be pitchers (Marshall and Gallagher). If the Cubs are going to suffer again, let it be. I'll sit back and enjoy the show.

I doubt the Cubs are interested in trading Rich Hill at this point in time.

One day someone will have to explain to me the Cubs hate around here, lol. I live about an hour and a half away from Cincy and try to make it to see the Cubs and Reds each year. Never had many problems.

I know Reds fans, and the local idiot on WLW, get upset when Cubs fans come to the game, but don't blame the Cubs fans for that. I realize some can be loud and obnoxious, but believe me, all teams have idiot fans.

I enjoy coming to GABP very much. They radio cracks me up when they insinuate all the Cub fans in attendance come from Chicago. Sure some do, but not the majority.

Anyways, I follow the Reds because of my location and I'm glad to see them spend some money. But don't turn your nose up at me when I come to the ballpark. I'm kidding, most don't.

*BaseClogger*
11-30-2007, 08:06 PM

One day someone will have to explain to me the Cubs hate around here, lol. I live about an hour and a half away from Cincy and try to make it to see the Cubs and Reds each year. Never had many problems.

I know Reds fans, and the local idiot on WLW, get upset when Cubs fans come to the game, but don't blame the Cubs fans for that. I realize some can be loud and obnoxious, but believe me, all teams have idiot fans.

I enjoy coming to GABP very much. They radio cracks me up when they insinuate all the Cub fans in attendance come from Chicago. Sure some do, but not the majority.

Anyways, I follow the Reds because of my location and I'm glad to see them spend some money. But don't turn your nose up at me when I come to the ballpark. I'm kidding, most don't.

:confused:

thatcoolguy_22
11-30-2007, 08:37 PM

explain how Marshall is not as "proven" as Hamilton?

Year Ag Tm Lg W L G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BFP IBB BK ERA *lgERA *ERA+ WHIP
+--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+---+---+-----+-----+----+-----+
2006 23 CHC NL 6 9 24 24 0 0 0 0 125.7 132 85 78 20 59 77 7 6 563 3 0 5.59 4.63 83 1.520
2007 24 CHC NL 7 8 21 19 0 0 0 0 103.3 107 52 45 13 35 67 1 4 446 3 0 3.92 4.66 119 1.374

is not acceptable:confused::confused:

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG *OPS+ TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP
+--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+---+---+
2007 26 CIN NL 90 298 52 87 17 2 19 47 3 3 33 65 .292 .368 .554 131 165 0 2 4 4 6

but this is????:eek::eek:

Each played roughly half of a MLB season in 2007...

We have no idea what Josh Hamilton will turn into! I wouldn't necessarily say I would do a trade straight up marshall for hamilton but to not consider it because "Sean Marshall is unproven" is a bit narrow minded... IMO

*BaseClogger*
11-30-2007, 08:42 PM
explain how Marshall is not as "proven" as Hamilton?

Year Ag Tm Lg W L G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BFP IBB BK ERA *lgERA *ERA+ WHIP
+--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+---+---+-----+-----+----+-----+
2006 23 CHC NL 6 9 24 24 0 0 0 0 125.7 132 85 78 20 59 77 7 6 563 3 0 5.59 4.63 83 1.520
2007 24 CHC NL 7 8 21 19 0 0 0 0 103.3 107 52 45 13 35 67 1 4 446 3 0 3.92 4.66 119 1.374

is not acceptable:confused::confused:

Year Ag Tm Lg G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG *OPS+ TB SH SF IBB HBP GDP
+--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+---+---+
2007 26 CIN NL 90 298 52 87 17 2 19 47 3 3 33 65 .292 .368 .554 131 165 0 2 4 4 6

but this is????:eek::eek:

Each played roughly half of a MLB season in 2007...

We have no idea what Josh Hamilton will turn into! I wouldn't necessarily say I would do a trade straight up marshall for hamilton but to not consider it because "Sean Marshall is unproven" is a bit narrow minded... IMO

Hamilton hadn't played baseball in 4 years?

Marshal= too many walks not enough K's

thatcoolguy_22
11-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Hamilton hadn't played baseball in 4 years?

Marshal= too many walks not enough K's

he originally called Hamilton a proven player and said that Sean Marshall wasn't. Once again I do not advocate this trade but the rational for it being nixed above was somewhat asinine IMO

gedred69
11-30-2007, 08:56 PM

The problem with the Cubs fans, is they are very in your face type, like they are at home here. An equal # of Cards fans come to GABP during weekend series, and they are great to be around. We talk baseball not smack.A fair amount of Brewers fans make it to GABP, and they are great to be around. We talk baseball not smack. And, we all agree, Cubs fans are rude, obnoxious, and confrontational. A popular T-shirt in StL says: "My 2 fav' teams, Cards and whoever beats the Cubs"....... It ain't just here.