PDA

View Full Version : Question for UC Football Fans

dougdirt
11-29-2007, 05:36 PM
This thought just crossed my mind as I was pondering how to get to the game at a reasonable price. I checked out the UC travel packages and they start at about $250 if you buy a ticket for a bus and hotel and around $730 if you are flying. I certainly don't have that kind of money, so I figured get a few guys together, chip in for gas and a hotel room and then we are looking at much cheaper prices.

Then I thought heck, for that price, I could buy season tickets for next season. So the question I ask, what supports the team more, buying season tickets to the 2008 season, or going to a slap in the face bowl game against a crappy opponent?

paintmered
11-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Buy the season tickets. I think they will be at a premium in a few years if Kelly sticks around.

Heath
11-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Are they offering a package where if you buy the bowl you get a discount season ticket offer?

Anyway, it's about 8hrs to drive to birmingham. Southwest has a non-stop from Louisville to Birmingham for $59 O/W - you could drive to Louisville, pay $5 to pay Econ Lot per day, fly out that day and return that day.

$730 sounds like someone is making $$$$$$.

dougdirt
11-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Are they offering a package where if you buy the bowl you get a discount season ticket offer?

Anyway, it's about 8hrs to drive to birmingham. Southwest has a non-stop from Louisville to Birmingham for $59 O/W - you could drive to Louisville, pay $5 to pay Econ Lot per day, fly out that day and return that day.

$730 sounds like someone is making $$$$$$.

Here is the link from the UC website for their air package. (http://www.ebsportstours.com/EbRes/PackageHotel.aspx?EventID=PapaJohn07&PackageID=07PJBowlCinc&GUID=7c49c695-223f-4eff-befd-8afb85929ba7&AgencyID=UCinci07)

Their packages for buses range from $210 per person for 3 or more people to $295 per person if you are a single. Neither package includes a game ticket.

My thinking is 2008 season tickets can be had for half of that easily.

Heath
11-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Here is the link from the UC website for their air package. (http://www.ebsportstours.com/EbRes/PackageHotel.aspx?EventID=PapaJohn07&PackageID=07PJBowlCinc&GUID=7c49c695-223f-4eff-befd-8afb85929ba7&AgencyID=UCinci07)

Their packages for buses range from $210 per person for 3 or more people to $295 per person if you are a single. Neither package includes a game ticket.

My thinking is 2008 season tickets can be had for half of that easily.

Sounds like they are expecting a walk-up crowd for tickets.

Chip R
11-29-2007, 07:01 PM
In the short run, it will be better if fans buy season tickets. In the long run, it will be better if they go to a bowl. That will show bowl people that UC fans are willing to support their team no matter how crappy the bowl site.

MaineRed
11-29-2007, 07:12 PM
I sort of disagree Chip.

I'm not sure anyone will even notice. I think the bowl game is too small for it to make a difference. dougdirt and everyone else just needs to be ready and make sure they fill the Orange Bowl when they make it there.

If it is between the two, go with the season tickets. Helping make the home stadium an unfriendly place to play wll help the program more.

Chip R
11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
I sort of disagree Chip.

I'm not sure anyone will even notice. I think the bowl game is too small for it to make a difference. dougdirt and everyone else just needs to be ready and make sure they fill the Orange Bowl when they make it there.

If it is between the two, go with the season tickets. Helping make the home stadium an unfriendly place to play wll help the program more.

I sort of agree. ;) Everything you say about the season tickets is spot on. But, from the looks of things filling up Nippert hasn't been a problem this year. Of course next season won't have WVU coming to town but they did all right for the other games.

If Legion Field is devoid of Bearcat fans for whatever reason, it's going to mean going back to Birmingham, instead of El Paso or Charlotte or wherever.

GoReds33
11-29-2007, 07:44 PM
This year, I realized the amazing spark that the crowd gave this team. A crowd for an entire season wouldd defenitly be more valuable than a crowd for one game, where we're going to kick the crap out of the opposition anyway. Buy season tickets. If Kelly stays around, and Mauk gets another year, we will be back in BCS contention again.

Redlegs23
11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
I would go with the season tickets. More bang for your buck, and filling up Nippert on a consistent basis is probably more important in the long run.

camisadelgolf
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
I think you should go to the bowl game. It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience (even if it won't rank amongst the five best bowl games UC will play in your lifetime). By the time next year comes around, you'll probably find a way to afford season tickets.

dougdirt
11-30-2007, 12:05 PM
I think you should go to the bowl game. It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience (even if it won't rank amongst the five best bowl games UC will play in your lifetime). By the time next year comes around, you'll probably find a way to afford season tickets.

I think thats what I decided on last night. I talked to some guys and we are pushing back our roadtrip to Atlanta two weeks and are probably just going to go from Atlanta to Birmingham Saturday morning.

DoogMinAmo
11-30-2007, 12:36 PM

The bowl game is more valuable to the immediate future and to the current seniors. The season tickets are more valuable to the long term future of the program, the underclassmen, and your pocketbook.

It depends on what you want to support more?

Chip R
11-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Actually, fans should do both. Season tickets are relatively cheap althogh I suspect they will raise prices significantly next year.

SandyD
12-01-2007, 07:08 AM
If you drive to the bowl, you pass right by Jack Daniels (they give tours) and Huntsville NASA place (where they also give tours). It's not a bad drive, really. Getting a few together to split gas and expenses, and I'd bet you could make the trip for less than you think.

Maybe cut the drive time by staying in Huntsville. Tour Jack Daniels one way, and NASA the other and make it a mini vacation.

If you can't afford season tickets for next year, buy a few single game tickets, and/or maybe travel to some road games. Wear your colors

I kind of think that the undesirable rematch counted more with the Sun than the travel, but UConn does travel well for hoops ... both men and women.

From a budget standpoint, buying season tickets makes more sense, tho.