PDA

View Full Version : Update! Les Miles it isn't!

Pages : [1] 2

Benihana
12-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Hallelujah! Now the Buckeyes will be back on their heels. The glory days of the '90s will return to The Rivalry.

ESPN reporting Michigan will announce Miles as their new head coach early next week. Ga. Tech's interim head coach will also be coming aboard as the new defensive coordinator.:thumbup:

redsfan1966
12-01-2007, 11:01 AM
I hope Les Miles enjoys the annual beatdown at the hand of the Buckeyes as much as Lloyd did. :D

WMR
12-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Poor Wolverine fans. You just got a man who belongs in an insane asylum as your head coach.

joshnky
12-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I love this. Michigan gets worse with an overrated coach and LSU will struggle to maintain their recruiting class and any momentum with the loss of both Miles and Pelini (Nebraska).

MWM
12-01-2007, 11:17 AM
And Ohio State fans everywhere rejoice. This one is going to blow up in their faces. I'm disappointed the administration caved to public pressure. Brian Kelly was the clear choice for the job.

Through the process, I've come to realize there was a divide among different types of Michigan fans. Like all teams, some fans are Michigan fans first, college football fans a distant second. They follow everything Michigan does. They watch the Michigan games, but not a lot more. This isn't a Michigan thing, it's a college fan thing. Then there are the fans who love college football first, and Michigan a close second. They follow the sport very closely across the board, not just Michigan.

It's been with very few exceptions that the former are the ones who want Miles. They know that he's the coach of LSU and his team was #1 much of the year and he's a Michigan guy. The latter almost unanimously want no part of Miles.

I really think this was a poor decision by Michigan. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Itmight turn out great, but I wouldn't bet on it. The most important factor in his success or failure will be who he hires as assistants. I wonder if Gary Crowton will come with him or stay at LSU. Bellini is obviously not coming to run the defense. He better get great coordinators.

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Hallelujah! Now the Buckeyes will be back on their heels. The glory days of the '90s will return to The Rivalry.

ESPN reporting Michigan will announce Miles as their new head coach early next week. Ga. Tech's interim head coach will also be coming aboard as the new defensive coordinator.:thumbup:

You seem to excited about this hiring. Why? Les Miles is an awful coach. In addition to that he is an arrogant, pompous ass. Michigan went from having one of the classiest coaches in college football to now having the most classless coach. Les Miles has lost two games to unranked opponents this year and could have easily lost three more games. Bad hire for Michigan.

OUReds
12-01-2007, 11:27 AM
One of these day a large school is going to give Jim Grobe a chance as head coach. Whoever that school's rival is should be very scared.

As an Ohio State fan I'm pretty pleased with the Michigan choice, but I suppose we'll wait and see.

Joseph
12-01-2007, 11:27 AM
You seem to excited about this hiring. Why? Les Miles is an awful coach. In addition to that he is an arrogant, pompous ass. Michigan went from having one of the classiest coaches in college football to now having the most classless coach. Les Miles has lost two games to unranked opponents this year and could have easily lost three more games. Bad hire for Michigan.

Hey, its all about hiring someone who 'understands' Michigan.

:rolleyes:

reds44
12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Les Miles is an awful coach.

paintmered
12-01-2007, 11:38 AM
On behalf of UC fans everywhere, thank you.

BuckWoody
12-01-2007, 11:54 AM
What great news on two different levels. Obviously I'm happy as a Buckeye fan to have them hire someone who doesn't seem like he's really the kind of coach who can return Michigan to the glory days of the '90s. I'm also very happy that UC gets to keep Kelly....for now at least. While I am an OSU fan first and foremost, I cheer for all of the Ohio teams and want them to do well. I think Cincinnati has something special in Coach Kelly. If he stays, I feel that the Bearcats will be the first in state team to beat the Buckeyes since <<insert name of team here and the year too 'cause I'm too lazy to look it up ;)>>.

KronoRed
12-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Big mistake by Michigan, while Miles is not an awful coach he is not a good fit for the blue and yellow, this has alumni pressure written all over it.

Danny Serafini
12-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Can't say I'm too broken up over this one. Miles isn't a bum, but some of his decision making is, um, unique. But hey, LSU is undefeated in regulation this year!

dougdirt
12-01-2007, 12:30 PM
On behalf of UC fans everywhere, thank you.

Ditto.

By the way, as a Buckeye fan also, thanks times 2.

Go sooners!

SandyD
12-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Miles press conference 12:50 CST; "topic unknown"

LSU has a game today.

Edit: no guarantee that time is right. Came from a BRLA newspaper website, which specified CST, but the team is in Alt, which is EST. easy real time error to make.

nola.com is saying the pc is to announce he is staying at LSU ... signed an extension.

LoganBuck
12-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Les Miles, would not have been my first choice if I was a Michigan fan. The more things change the more they stay the same. He will improve recruiting because of his youth, but don't look for Michigan to change anything on the field. I keep thinking back to the Alamo Bowl, where he had a talented Oklahoma State team, and he got beat by a besieged Ohio State team, that had a one legged quarterback and a wide receiver taking snaps. With Lydell Ross running wild behind a poor offensive line.

GoReds33
12-01-2007, 01:08 PM
I think this will help Michigan. There is no way he could be as bad against OSU as Carr was. And I third the Thank you's from UC fans.

SandyD
12-01-2007, 01:09 PM
WWL-TV now reporting Miles signed an extension to stay at LSU.

GoReds33
12-01-2007, 01:12 PM
WWL-TV now reporting Miles signed an extension to stay at LSU.So is ESPN. Darn, I thought Kelly was safe.:(

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3136391

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Good. I can't stand LSU. Hopefully he stays for a long time because they won't win anything with him there.

Benihana
12-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Well, first of all, it now appears he is staying at LSU. Second of all, I was more excited about the reported hiring of Jon Tenuta, who is according to a lot of experts, the best defensive coordinator in the country.

Finally, I don't believe Miles is as bad of a coach as most of you say. I'll have more on this later. Either way, it doesn't appear to matter much now, as Miles is primed to stay at LSU, reportedly.

15fan
12-01-2007, 01:33 PM
One of these day a large school is going to give Jim Grobe a chance as head coach. Whoever that school's rival is should be very scared.

Other schools might come for Grobe (and some already have), but I'd be shocked if he leaves. I look for him to stay in Winston-Salem for a loooooong time.

With what's he's done, and what's in the pipeline (not only talent, but facilities) he's only started what's shaping up to be a very nice run of solid performances year after year.

dougdirt
12-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Crapjackers.

WMR
12-01-2007, 01:58 PM
::thread title edit::

Matt700wlw
12-01-2007, 02:02 PM
This is good...

It probably means Brian Kelly isn't going anywhere!

paintmered
12-01-2007, 02:05 PM
This is good...

It probably means Brian Kelly isn't going anywhere!

You might want to read through the thread again. :(

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Surprise surprise: Les Miles acts like an ass at his press conference.

Matt700wlw
12-01-2007, 02:07 PM
You might want to read through the thread again. :(

Then, I guess I will...

:thumbdown

Well...crap

WMR
12-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Surprise surprise: Les Miles acts like an ass at his press conference.

What'd he do

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2007, 02:13 PM
What'd he do

Acted like he always does.

Yelled at the media.

Matt700wlw
12-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Maybe he has bad hearing...

:D

Danny Serafini
12-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Maybe we'll get even luckier and those Kirk Ferentz to Michigan rumors will come true.

SandyD
12-01-2007, 02:16 PM
He's rightfully upset with the media today. Can't really blame him.

Heath
12-01-2007, 02:18 PM
UC fans should breathe easier. I don't think Kelly's leaving. I think one of the Michigan coordinators are getting the job OR Gary Picknel the Mizzou coach.

Either way Michigan needs to get on the horse.

WMR
12-01-2007, 02:20 PM
If I was Les Miles I'd prolly be pissed off and yelling at the media too.

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Lester Miles has yet to sign the agreement to stay at LSU.

SandyD
12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
It has to be approved by the board of supervisors, too. I really don't think Miles wanted to deal with ANY of this right now.

KronoRed
12-01-2007, 02:37 PM
If I was Les Miles I'd prolly be pissed off and yelling at the media too.

Agreed, coaching changes or talk of any kind should be banned until all regular season games are done, and conference championships are regular season games.

Matt700wlw
12-01-2007, 02:37 PM
UC fans should breathe easier. I don't think Kelly's leaving. I think one of the Michigan coordinators are getting the job OR Gary Picknel the Mizzou coach.

I don't think he is either, but you always have to wonder...

jmac
12-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Dont ya love it when stations "report he is leaving" then have to retract in 15 minutes and say "he is staying".
You hardly ever hear them say "oops" !

Matt700wlw
12-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Dont ya love it when stations "report he is leaving" then have to retract in 15 minutes and say "he is staying".
You hardly ever hear them say "oops" !

Oops :D

paintmered
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
The Bearcat boards say that Greg Schiano is now the favorite. That'd be an interesting fit. Rutgers plays a good brand of football and has a similar style to many of the Big 11 schools.

Also, Schiano was courted by several "major" programs after last season and chose to stay at Rutgers.

MWM
12-01-2007, 04:00 PM

Agreed. I don't know why the media thinks it's job is to "sccop" everyone else, even at the expense of diligent checking of sources. In this day and age, no one is going to know who "broke" the story. It will be everywhere within minutes.

MWM
12-01-2007, 04:02 PM
The Bearcat boards say that Greg Schiano is now the favorite. That'd be an interesting fit. Rutgers plays a good brand of football and has a similar style to many of the Big 11 schools.

Also, Schiano was courted by several "major" programs after last season and chose to stay at Rutgers.

I read that Schiano has had his eyes set on the Penn State job where he once coached. Supposedly, he's waiting for JoePa to retire so he can take over there. I have no idea if that's true or not as it's purely rumor.

MWM
12-01-2007, 04:05 PM
This whole thing is very interesting. I'll be curious to hear what happened. Did Miles turn Michigan down, or did he not get the offer? I'd be more surprised if it was the former. But you never know.

WMR
12-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Supposedly it was Kirk Herbstreit who "broke" the story of Miles to Michigan. He's gotta be feeling pretty foolish right now.

MWM
12-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Supposedly it was Kirk Herbstreit who "broke" the story of Miles to Michigan. He's gotta be feeling pretty foolish right now.

I hope that's not true. I think highly of Kirk, and this would hurt his credibility big time. Since when did Herstreit get into the business of breaking stories?

Highlifeman21
12-01-2007, 04:09 PM

He's upset with Michigan.

Michigan leaked the announcement to ESPN last night, and this morning ESPN used the plug for GameDay to "break in" on SportsCenter to announce Les Miles to Michigan thanks to Kirk Herbstreit.

GameDay then used their airtime to talk about Les Miles to Michigan, along with the Big XII Championship. Herbstreit just reported what he had been told by Michigan. There should be no question of Herbstreit's credibility. He did what he was supposed to do.

Les Miles then had his own press conference to say he wasn't going to Michigan, he's staying at LSU. The reason he had this press conference is that Michigan jumped the gun by a month on their announcement. Les Miles was going to Michigan, but due to breach of trust on Michigan's part, that now may or may not happen.

Criminal stupidity on Michigan's part. They had Les Miles and just couldn't wait to tell the world.

WMR
12-01-2007, 04:09 PM
That's what they said during Halftime of the UK/UNC game.

Said Herbstreit broke the story.

MWM
12-01-2007, 04:18 PM
I've just read on the internet that he never spoke to to Michigan at all and told the LSU AD that he wanted to stay at LSU.

I can't believe he'd make such a rash decision if he had already agreed to take the job. And if he's so upset about them "leaking" the story, why wouldn't he just wait until Sunday or Monday to officially accept the offer. Who knows what reall happened.

Chip R
12-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Agreed. I don't know why the media thinks it's job is to "sccop" everyone else, even at the expense of diligent checking of sources. In this day and age, no one is going to know who "broke" the story. It will be everywhere within minutes.

It must be pretty important since it's becoming commonplace. Old time media people are rolling in their graves now.

GAC
12-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Agreed. I don't know why the media thinks it's job is to "sccop" everyone else, even at the expense of diligent checking of sources.

I blame Oprah! :D

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Once again Lester narrowly escapes a loss thanks to Eric Ainge single handedly losing the game for Tennessee.

KronoRed
12-01-2007, 07:49 PM
A nice :clap: for the LSU players, rumors that the whole coaching staff is leaving town and they still play well.

MaineRed
12-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Agreed Krono.

And who said Miles was supposed to easily win every game he coached? I don't get the hate. Another thing you wouldn't hear a peep about if he coached Ohio State.

Instead of being an idiot who belongs in a nut house he would be a courageous coach who believes in his players.

Unassisted
12-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Agreed. I don't know why the media thinks it's job is to "sccop" everyone else, even at the expense of diligent checking of sources. In this day and age, no one is going to know who "broke" the story. It will be everywhere within minutes.Matt Drudge has lowered the bar for what constitutes publishable news these days. In a world where 22 year-old producers call the shots on TV shows, being first trumps being right.

WVRed
12-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Lester Miles has yet to sign the agreement to stay at LSU.

And until he does sign the contract, things will be very interesting.

Just because Les Miles has "said" he is staying at LSU doesn't mean anything. That is why a contract is so important right now. Billy Gillispie told Arkansas he would not accept their contract offer and decided to stay at Texas A&M, but he never signed the contract. I think everybody knows what happened next.

I still think Les Miles will be the guy at Michigan, but if not, people will have Kirk Herbstreit to thank, because this would have never happened if Kirk hadn't broke the story and caused both sides to act. Seems to me like Kirk has the same sources as Dan Rather.:p:

I don't blame Miles at all for lashing out at ESPN. The day of the SEC championship, which is all but going to determine what kind of bowl LSU is going to get tomorrow, and it's announced you won't even be at the game to coach because you are accepting another job.

I agree with a point that was raised earlier today. College football should adopt the same policy as the NFL in that they must finish their season before the coaches talk with other teams. That would have stopped what happened today, and if it didn't, Michigan would have likely lost scholarships. However, because the NCAA lacks stability, you will never see it.

Until Les Miles puts his name on the dotted line, I will believe it until I see it. IMO, he is still fair game.

George Foster
12-01-2007, 10:18 PM
He said at half time and after the game..." I will be back at LSU next year."

KronoRed
12-01-2007, 10:20 PM
He said at half time and after the game..." I will be back at LSU next year."

Never can tell, maybe he takes after Nick Saban :D

GoReds33
12-01-2007, 11:04 PM
He said at half time and after the game..." I will be back at LSU next year."I believe we got a similar committment out of Thad Matta.:)

SandyD
12-02-2007, 12:36 AM
Never can tell, maybe he takes after Nick Saban :D

No, he doesn't. Very, very different men.

Unassisted
12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Tom Dienhart at the Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=313865) weighs in:

I have heard from sources that a few NFL head coaches could end up getting involved at Michigan.

There also is a good chance Wake Forest's Jim Grobe may be a player.

I was told by a source close to Rutgers coach Greg Schiano that he isn't a candidate, despite talk of him supposedly being dismayed about funding delays in the Rutgers stadium expansion.

NFL head coaches? That could be interesting.

SeeinRed
12-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Hopefully this is true. News on BK and former UC coach Dantonio

And if I may kill a popular rumor (or request): Two people familiar with the process say Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly is not a candidate. He will not be a candidate. I don't have a specific reason, but Kelly has rubbed people the wrong way at various points in his climb up the ladder.
While you digest all this, here is another "what if" to consider: If this job had come open last November, Mark Dantonio would have been a prime candidate. Dantonio has everything Michigan would have wanted: He is highly respected by his peers, including the current U-M coaches. He has Midwest ties. He is the right age.

The rest of this article is here (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071202/COL22/712020683/1048). Don't know much about the guy who wrote this, but hopefully he knows what he's talking about for us UC fans.

KronoRed
12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
NFL head coaches? That could be interesting.

Bobby Petrino maybe?

WMR
12-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Bobby Petrino maybe?

It's funny how the Petrino thing has played out... sort of like some sort of weird karma for Rick Pitino.

Unassisted
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Bobby Petrino maybe?Gruden has been mentioned before in this thread, too. I had forgotten about that.

Looking at the list of current head coaches, the names Cam Cameron and Brad Childress jumped out. They both have Big Ten experience.

traderumor
12-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Tom Dienhart at the Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=313865) weighs in:

NFL head coaches? That could be interesting.I think they should give Charlie Weis an interview.

BuckWoody
12-03-2007, 07:57 PM
I think they should give Charlie Weis an interview.
John Cooper's not busy either. :)

redsfan1966
12-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Interesting how Kirk Herbstreit got played by Michigan. Kirk does an ok job, but he has become what he used to mock on his radio show....wallowing in rumors and innuendo....love how he now kisses Musburger's rear end.

Unassisted
12-03-2007, 08:26 PM
John Cooper's not busy either. :)Coop has his own office in the new Buckeye football facility. Earle Bruce does, too. They may not be busy or on the payroll, but they're still considered "part of the family" in Columbus.

MWM
12-03-2007, 09:03 PM
John Cooper's not busy either. :)

I heard somone make a joke that they should hire Cooper because MIchigan always won in games he coached. ;)

paintmered
12-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Coop has his own office in the new Buckeye football facility. Earle Bruce does, too. They may not be busy or on the payroll, but they're still considered "part of the family" in Columbus.

Is Cooper still working for the Bengals?

Sabo Fan
12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Looking at the list of current head coaches, the names Cam Cameron and Brad Childress jumped out. They both have Big Ten experience.

I'd help pay part of Childress' moving expenses if Michigan hired him away from the Vikings, playoff hopes or not. That way, assuming he gets canned in St. Louis, Scott Linehan can take his rightful place as Vikings head coach.

15fan
12-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I believe we got a similar committment out of Thad Matta.:)

Immediately after losing the national title game to Syracuse, Bonnie Bernstein and Kansas coach Roy Williams had this dialogue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvW0SGEqC5k

Roy went from "I could give a ____ about North Carolina" to being head coach in a relatively short time.

15fan
12-04-2007, 10:53 AM
I heard somone make a joke that they should hire Cooper because MIchigan always won in games he coached. ;)

Post #13 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63677&highlight=Carr)

MWM
12-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Post #13 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63677&highlight=Carr)

Ah. that is where I heard it. It was so funny, I've used it a few times since (but have never taken care of it).

GAC
12-04-2007, 08:31 PM
I work with a couple die hard Michigan fans. They both strongly feel that Miles will be the Michigan coach next year. According to them, why? In the interview.....

He consistently talked about being a Michigan man.

Even though Miles and LSU have agreed on a contract in principle, it hasn't been signed yet.

If Michigan hasn't hired a coach by the NC game, it's because Miles is the guy.

He said what he did, about being the LSU coach next year, because he didn't want the distractions it would provide for his players going into the NC game. But he's going to pull a Nick Saban.

WVRed
12-04-2007, 08:43 PM
I work with a couple die hard Michigan fans. They both strongly feel that Miles will be the Michigan coach next year. According to them, why? In the interview.....

He consistently talked about being a Michigan man.

Even though Miles and LSU have agreed on a contract in principle, it hasn't been signed yet.

If Michigan hasn't hired a coach by the NC game, it's because Miles is the guy.

He said what he did, about being the LSU coach next year, because he didn't want the distractions it would provide for his players going into the NC game. But he's going to pull a Nick Saban.

I have a feeling that either way, it won't be put to rest until after the national championship.

Unassisted
12-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Unless Les's new deal has an out clause that'll let him bolt for Ann Arbor, it's looking less likely that he'll do it.

http://netsports.footballworld.com/default.asp?c=footballworld&page=cfoot/news/AFN4116321.htm

LSU set to sign Miles to extension

Baton Rouge, LA (Sports Network) - LSU has reportedly agreed with Les Miles on a two-year contract extension that will keep the coach with the Tigers through the 2012 season.

The Shreveport Times reports the deal does not award Miles any raise other than the bonus clauses already included from his 2006 contract grant. Miles went into the 2007 season in the first year of a five-year deal at $1.8 million a year but, according to his contract signed in 2006, Miles must be among the top three highest paid coaches in the Southeastern Conference if he won the SEC.

Miles and the Tigers did exactly that last week, meaning he will make nearly $3 million depending on what raises other SEC coaches get at the conclusion of this season.

Meanwhile, If LSU wins the national championship, the contract provides Miles would become among the nation's top-earning college football coaches, no less than the third highest-paid.

LSU (11-2) takes on Ohio State (11-1) in the BCS Championship Game on January 7 at the Louisiana Superdome.

The extension still requires approval of the full governing board, expected to be a formality when they meet on Friday.

During his three years at LSU, Miles is a gaudy 33-6 and has 14 wins over teams ranked in the top 25, a school record.

12/06 20:42:54 ET

SandyD
12-06-2007, 11:51 PM
The buyout clauses are still the same.

I've read that if certain academic goals are met, Miles will receive a bonus to be given to support personnel.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Greg Schiano looks like the new ball coach up north.

Go Blue!

Benihana
12-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Greg Schiano looks like the new ball coach up north.

Go Blue!
???????
Word is he decided to remain at Rutgers.

Unassisted
12-07-2007, 10:23 AM
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2007/12/07/rumblings07.ART_ART_12-07-07_C3_4A8MU00.html?sid=101

Now that Les Miles has signed a contract extension to remain as coach at Louisiana State, it seems that Kirk Ferentz of Iowa has become the top candidate to replace Lloyd Carr at Michigan.

Michigan president Mary Sue Coleman supposedly likes Ferentz from her time at Iowa. It likewise has been reported that Carr, who will become an associate athletic director, respects Ferentz. In a blog for the Cedar Rapids Gazette in Iowa, Marc Morehouse indicated that "two sources" have told him that Ferentz is at the top of the Wolverines' list.

Ferentz's teams tied for Big Ten titles in 2002 and '04 but have gone 19-18 the past three seasons.

If Michigan wants him, the price might be high. Ferentz makes $2.84 million a year, guaranteed through 2012. The five-year tab is $14.2 million, and he'll probably want a raise.

westofyou
12-07-2007, 10:42 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071207/SPORTS06/71207023/1054

Despite the interview, Rutgers sports information director Jason Baum said Thursday that Michigan had not asked for formal contact with Schiano.

Schiano was a viable candidate for the job and was thought to have interest in the position.

Those close to Schiano, though, have long thought he had too many factors keeping him in New Jersey, including his roots and local family, a significant financial commitment in his reworked contract after last season ($1.7 million a year) and even a tax-free loan and university property cleared for him on campus where he recently built a home.

Roy Tucker
12-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm surprised Michigan hasn't chased Jim Harbaugh more. I think he'd be a really good fit.

WVRed
12-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm surprised Michigan hasn't chased Jim Harbaugh more. I think he'd be a really good fit.

They probably will if they keep getting rejected.

Go with somebody who can run the spread offense.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-07-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm hearing a Marvin Lewis rumor. Is this a joke or (as an OSU and Bengal fan) is it my lucky day?

Reds Fanatic
12-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm hearing a Marvin Lewis rumor. Is this a joke or (as an OSU and Bengal fan) is it my lucky day?I have seen the rumor on one of the Bengals message boards and apparently some of Michigan boards are talking about the same thing but I have not seen any real news source on this. I am pretty sure it is just a message board rumor.

pedro
12-07-2007, 01:00 PM

You must have missed him ripping them in the press earlier this year.

I bet he's persona non grata there now.

Roy Tucker
12-07-2007, 01:12 PM
You must have missed him ripping them in the press earlier this year.

I bet he's persona non grata there now.

(Roy surfs the net)

Holy cow. I guess so. Thanks, pedro.

http://www.fanblogs.com/michigan/007311.php

Unassisted
12-07-2007, 02:06 PM
http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=29969&cat=6

Rutgers' Greg Schiano Turns Down Michigan Coaching Job

Rutgers head football coach Greg Schiano will remain at the New Jersey school after turning down Michigan's offer to become their new coach Thursday.

Schiano spoke with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin on Wednesday in New York about the vacancy but decided not to pursue it any further. Schiano also turned down an opportunity after last season to coach at the University of Miami.

It has been mentioned that Michigan is interested in New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton, but it is uncertain if he is interested in the vacancy.

Michigan is in an influx right now as many of their top candidates have turned them down. LSU coach Les Miles, a Michigan alum and former coach, signed a contract extension until 2012 with LSU.

Coach Lloyd Carr announced his retirement Nov. 19, two days after Michigan completed an 8-4 regular season with a loss to archrival Ohio State for the fourth consecutive year.

KronoRed
12-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Harbaugh also has his eyes on an NFL job some day, Michigan probably wants someone who will stick around for a long time.

mash3024
12-07-2007, 03:08 PM
A guy I work with just said that 1530 Homer mentioned Michigan has permission to talk to Lewis. Can anyone verify this at all? Not sure I believe him or not.

LoganBuck
12-07-2007, 03:11 PM
A friend of mine from Michigan whose wife is connected to fundraising at Michigan, says that they are going to take a long look at Brian Kelly.

BuckWoody
12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Saw a funny shirt at the mall today...one of those "Smack Talk" deals. On the front it said "Beat LSU...". On the back it said "So at least Les can feel like he's coaching at Michigan." It made me grin. :D

But anyway, as far as this year's bowl games are concerned, Go Blue!

OnBaseMachine
12-07-2007, 07:19 PM
I've never understood the fascination with Kirk Ferentz.

Cedric
12-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Ferentz would bring a good S & C program and he used to be able to get the best out of whatever talent he was given. Carr has wasted talent for years and I'm glad for that. The S & C program at Michigan is terrible for anyone not on the Oline.

dsmith421
12-08-2007, 01:57 PM

Harbaugh made a number of comments critical of Michigan's commitment to academics last summer. He's burned a lot of bridges.

Not sure why Marvin Lewis would make any sense for U of M, but as a Buckeye fan I endorse this move 100&#37;.

Unassisted
12-08-2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/football/stories/2007/12/08/oller08.ART_ART_12-08-07_C1_U48NBM3.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101

Rob Oller commentary: Michigan coaching job not the plum it used to be
Saturday, December 8, 2007 3:33 AM
By Rob Oller
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

First Les Miles and now Greg Schiano. It's as if the yellow on the Michigan winged helmet has dripped to create egg on the face of the Wolverines football program.

The school that likes to cluck about its rich football history -- NCAA records for most wins (860) and highest winning percentage (.745) -- is in the awkward position of wondering why its lofty reputation isn't enough to get coaches to crawl on their knees to accept the job opening created when Lloyd Carr announced his retirement in November.

Losing out on Miles is one thing. The former Michigan player and coach was a natural choice to succeed Carr, but his decision to remain at Louisiana State isn't shocking. The Southeastern Conference school is the more attractive program, if winning a national championship is the goal. The Tigers played for the title after the 2003 season and face Ohio State on Jan. 7 in New Orleans to decide this season's champion.

Schiano is a different story. The 41-year-old Rutgers coach reportedly spoke with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin on Wednesday in New York but decided not to pursue the job.

"I was contacted earlier this week about the Michigan coaching vacancy, but I have decided to remove my name from consideration," Schiano said yesterday in a statement released by Rutgers.

Remain at Rutgers instead of moving to Michigan? Granted, Schiano also waved off an opportunity after last season to coach at the University of Miami, so it's possible that Rutgers has a stronghold on his heart.

Still, it's at least surprising that Michigan must turn to what would appear to be its third choice -- at least -- to find its next coach.

What's going on here? First, Notre Dame struggles to snag the pick of the litter before making a snap -- some would say desperate -- decision to hire Charlie Weis. Then Alabama gets turned down by Steve Spurrier and Rich Rodriguez before landing Nick Saban.

Now Michigan. Before Ohio State fans laugh too much at the situation, don't forget that the Buckeyes were hot on Oregon coach Mike Bellotti before he removed himself from consideration. Jim Tressel was only happy to walk through the door that Bellotti left open.

It could be that coaches are bypassing some of the traditional football factories because of the pressure to meet unreasonable expectations. Schiano is 37-46 in seven seasons at Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights are 7-5 this season, a record that might work in New Jersey but wouldn't go over well in Ann Arbor.

More likely, the shift toward parity in college football allows a coach such as Schiano to think he has a realistic chance of reaching a Bowl Championship Series game, if not the national championship game, as easily as he would at Michigan. And with only half the pressure.

Rutgers is located in fertile recruiting territory -- the main campus in New Brunswick sits between New York and Philadelphia -- so Schiano can stay relatively close to home and be welcomed there even if he doesn't win the Big East.

Another possibility is that Michigan, like Notre Dame and Alabama, is not the draw it once was, not necessarily because of anything it did but because "name" programs don't hold the cachet they once did. The proliferation of 24/7 media coverage has made Eugene, Ore., as accessible as Ann Arbor to impressionable high school players. Michigan must recruit nationally, so any reduction to its mystique makes the job that much more difficult.

Ohio State, by comparison, has enough talent in-state to keep rolling along. The Buckeyes also have Tressel, proof that an excellent coach can make a difference in keeping a traditional power on top.

Michigan faces a dilemma. It must hire a coach who will take the program back to the top, but so far it appears the coaches it desires don't consider it any better of a program than their current place of employment.

Stay tuned.

LoganBuck
12-08-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/football/stories/2007/12/08/oller08.ART_ART_12-08-07_C1_U48NBM3.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101

The Dispatch writer forgets that Ohio State was rebuffed by several coaches as well. It was never quite as public as the current Michigan search, but Bob Stoops was in the same boat as Les Miles for a while there. Supposedly Ohio State went after Bellotti as well. They hit a homerun with Tressel, but its not like he was the immediate first choice.

traderumor
12-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Another possibility is that Michigan, like Notre Dame and Alabama, is not the draw it once was, not necessarily because of anything it did but because "name" programs don't hold the cachet they once did. The proliferation of 24/7 media coverage has made Eugene, Ore., as accessible as Ann Arbor to impressionable high school players. Michigan must recruit nationally, so any reduction to its mystique makes the job that much more difficult.
Eh? That's funny, the same names appear year after year with a few upstarts. Teams just can't stockpile anymore, but the big name schools are still getting the pick of the litter both in coaching and recruiting.

Benihana
12-11-2007, 10:06 AM
and yet, and yet, it won't die...

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/29974

IslandRed
12-11-2007, 12:55 PM
but the big name schools are still getting the pick of the litter both in coaching and recruiting.

True, but if you went over the last dozen or so hires by "name" programs, it's not as easy as the alumni think it should be.

KronoRed
12-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Miles once again says he'll be at LSU next year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150159

I really hope Michigan isn't planning to punt an entire month of recruiting for a guy who keeps saying no.

WMR
12-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Miles once again says he'll be at LSU next year.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3150159

I really hope Michigan isn't planning to punt an entire month of recruiting for a guy who keeps saying no.

LOL what is it about these LSU head coaches??

Playadlc
12-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Phenomenal avatar, WilyMo. :)

WMR
12-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Phenomenal avatar, WilyMo. :)

CHECK OUT THE UK BBALL THREAD.

Whenever I look at my avatar I throw up in my mouth a little bit. :barf:

Handofdeath
12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
They probably will if they keep getting rejected.

Go with somebody who can run the spread offense.

Mike Leach?

Mario-Rijo
12-12-2007, 05:27 PM
The Dispatch writer forgets that Ohio State was rebuffed by several coaches as well. It was never quite as public as the current Michigan search, but Bob Stoops was in the same boat as Les Miles for a while there. Supposedly Ohio State went after Bellotti as well. They hit a homerun with Tressel, but its not like he was the immediate first choice.

Sorry but you may have to back that claim up with some proof. I don't recall anyone else being even alledgedly offered the job but Tressel. I am not the most in tune so I could be wrong but I recall Stoops and Jon Gruden's names being bandied about by the media but never heard anyone even intimating that they were offered the job, let alone them making any kind of statement to suggest that they had been and declined.

WVRed
12-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Mike Leach?

Or Coach Rod.

MWM
12-12-2007, 11:00 PM
One thing to clarify here. The only person they've really been rejected by was Miles. The job was never offered to Schiano. They simply had conversations with him, but never made an offer. Rumors I've heard is that he took his name out of consideration because he didn't feel like he was the top choice for the job and Michigan still planned to talk to others. I have no idea how true that it, but I do know that he was never offered the job. And if he never had any interest, he never would have talked to them. It owuld have been pointless. So there's a reason why he pulled his name out of consideration after he agreed to talk to them. People are making too much out of the idea that they've been "rejected" by numerous people.

One thing is certain, Michigan has not handled this whole thing very well.

Handofdeath
12-13-2007, 01:21 AM
One thing is certain, Michigan has not handled this whole thing very well.

Benihana
12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Word I hear is that Miles wanted the job with no interview. He didn't want to get caught angling for the job if there was a chance he wouldn't get it. Michigan wouldn't give him the job without an interview. Miles got mad and declared he would stay at LSU.

Unassisted
12-14-2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.columbusdispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2007/12/14/rumblings14.ART0_ART_12-14-07_C3_FE8P6LN.html?sid=101

Mentioning Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis in connection with the Michigan job seems pretty strange, especially because he has never coached in college, knows next to nothing about recruiting and has no connection to the school.

His name apparently first appeared on the Web site ProFootballTalk.com as one of several prospective candidates for Lloyd Carr's old job.

When Lewis was asked about it this week, he laughed. When a reporter asked, "So the rumors are unfounded?" Lewis gave a simple and definitive "yes."

Unassisted
12-14-2007, 11:16 AM
http://www.charlotte.com/sports_breaking/story/404920.html

WAKE FOREST COACH CAN'T ESCAPE RUMORS
Grobe is latest coach linked to Michigan job
RON GREEN JR.

Wake Forest football coach Jim Grobe wants to keep the focus on his team's preparations for its Meineke Car Care Bowl appearance here Dec. 29, but it hasn't been easy.

Grobe continues to be mentioned as a possible candidate to succeed Lloyd Carr, who is retiring as Michigan coach.

Last week, Grobe was approached by Arkansas officials about the coaching job that eventually went to former Atlanta Falcons coach Bobby Petrino.

Asked during a visit to Charlotte Thursday if he had been contacted by anyone associated with Michigan, Grobe said, "It's gone on with Nebraska. It's gone on with Arkansas. Now it's going on with Michigan. I've just got to get out of all that stuff. There's no comment I can make that helps the situation.

"The only thing I can say is the important thing for me right now is to be focused on Wake Forest and trying to play UConn in a bowl game and get us a win.

"I don't know how to respond to that stuff anymore. It takes on a life of its own, whether you're interested or not interested. Schools do their own searches. You never know where you are in those things.

"I can't stop the rumors," Grobe said.

He said he wants to focus his team on getting its ninth win of the season. That would give the Deacons 20 wins over the past two seasons.

"To do that would be pretty special," Grobe said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071214/SPT0101/712140414/1064/SPT

Kelly says he's staying
BY BILL KOCH | BKOCH@ENQUIRER.COM

Brian Kelly has said it before and he said it again Thursday: He plans to be the head football coach at UC next season.

While the Michigan job remains open, Kelly's name is still out there as a possible candidate, although it's not mentioned as frequently as it once was. Still, it's a question that he gets asked frequently when he talks to recruits and their families.

"I'm not going anywhere," said Kelly, who's in the process of negotiating a new contract. "I plan to be here at the University of Cincinnati."

But Kelly, who has four years left on his UC contract, warned that his name is likely to come up again.

"We're going to deal with that again next year," Kelly said, "because we're going to win nine, 10, 11, 12, 13 games. We're going to continue to win, and every year the same thing is going to happen. Those things happen when you're successful in this business."

Kelly said he wants to win a national championship on the Division I level after winning two on the Division II level at Grand Valley State.

"I want to be at a place that can play and compete for a national championship," Kelly said, "and I firmly believe it's here at the University of Cincinnati."

LoganBuck
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Sorry but you may have to back that claim up with some proof. I don't recall anyone else being even alledgedly offered the job but Tressel. I am not the most in tune so I could be wrong but I recall Stoops and Jon Gruden's names being bandied about by the media but never heard anyone even intimating that they were offered the job, let alone them making any kind of statement to suggest that they had been and declined.

Don't you remember the BCS bowl game that Stoops was coaching where Herbie pulled the same stunt, that he did on Les? If I remember correctly the quote from Herbie was "one of the coaches may be named coach of Ohio State very soon" Stoops was even asked after the game, and he got pretty upset. The Bellotti thing was on the low down. I did some googling, found a few hits.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-69404557.html
http://media.www.dailyemerald.com/media/storage/paper859/news/2001/01/16/News/Is.Bellotti.Considering.Buckeyes.Coaching.Job-1972789.shtml

Most of the stuff was on Ohio State "insider" message boards.

WVRed
12-14-2007, 10:21 PM
As much as I lobbied for this, I am surprised its being discussed. If it happens, this is the best possible hire for Michigan and possibly the worst for Ohio St.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3155414

West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez met with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin on Friday to talk about the Wolverines' coaching job, according to media reports.

Rodriguez and his agent were in Toledo to talk with Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman, according to Sporting News Radio, which cited unidentifed sources.

The meeting was confirmed to ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday afternoon by a source close to the situation.

Rodriguez, 44, was back in Morgantown on Friday after taking a flight from Ohio, and unwilling to talk about any possible interest in the Michigan job.

"Going to practice. I'm going to practice," he told The Associated Press on Friday, getting into his car after a trip to Toledo.

Michigan, which lured basketball coach John Beilein away from West Virginia last April, is looking for a replacement for football coach Lloyd Carr, who announced his retirement Nov. 19 after 13 seasons.

West Virginia athletic director Ed Pastilong said he was unaware Rodriguez, who has a hefty buyout clause in his contract, was in Toledo.

"He has not shared that with me," Pastilong told The Associated Press.

Pastilong would not say whether West Virginia had given Michigan permission to talk to Rodriguez, citing university policy.

When asked further whether he knew Rodriguez was talking to Michigan, Pastilong said, "Rich has not mentioned anything of that nature to me. Secondly, we have a strong commitment with Rich, a strong contract. We're strongly committed to him and he's strongly committed to us.

"I think it would be unusual that he would be doing that without sharing it with us."

Michigan athletic department spokesman Bruce Madej said he was unaware of any talks.

On the day Carr announced he was stepping down, Martin said he hoped to complete the hiring process quickly.

But LSU's Les Miles withdrew from consideration before he was scheduled to meet with Martin and signed a contract extension with the Tigers.

Rutgers' Greg Schiano said last week after being contacted about the Michigan job that he was staying with the Scarlet Knights.

After a 13-9 loss to Pittsburgh in the regular-season finale knocked West Virginia out of the national championship game, Rodriguez said he wasn't going to be on the move.

"The impact of your name being thrown about is sometimes a little overrated. It probably makes for a lot of angst among families and we don't want that," he said. "Sorry but you all are stuck with me here."

Rodriguez has a 60-26 record at West Virginia. The Big East champion Mountaineers (10-2) play No. 3 Oklahoma (11-2) next month in the Fiesta Bowl.

Last December, Rodriguez agreed to a one-year contract extension through 2013 after he turned down a lucrative offer from Alabama. The extension includes a $4 million buyout clause if he leaves before August 2008. That doubles the amount from the previous contract.

Beilein had a $2.5 million buyout clause in his West Virginia contract, but under an agreement with the university he agreed to pay $1.5 million to the WVU Foundation for leaving for Michigan with five years remaining in his contract.

pedro
12-14-2007, 10:25 PM
I don't know much about Rodriguez but from a casual fans perspective he seems like a really good candidate.

Unassisted
12-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Rodriguez must have had a good interview.

http://netsports.footballworld.com/default.asp?c=footballworld&page=cfoot/news/AFN4117443.htm

Report: Rodriguez front-runner for Michigan job

Detroit, MI (Sports Network) - West Virginia head coach Rich Rodriguez has reportedly become the front-runner for the job at Michigan.

The Detroit Free Press and Detroit News both reported that Rodriguez met with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin and school president Mary Sue Coleman in Toledo, Ohio on Friday about the open position.

The Wolverines need to replace Lloyd Carr, who announced his retirement on November 19, two days after Michigan closed the regular season with a 14-3 loss to arch-rival Ohio State. Carr will coach the Wolverines in the Capital One Bowl against Florida on New Year's Day.

Rodriguez has been the head coach at West Virginia since 2001. His teams have had a winning record in every season but one, Rodriguez's first year. His career mark at WVU is 60-26, and Rodriguez has a contract to remain head coach of the Mountaineers through 2013.

West Virginia finished 10-2 this year in the regular season, capturing the Big East title and the conference's BCS bowl berth. The Mountaineers will face Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale, Arizona on January 2.

This is the sixth straight year the Mountaineers are in a bowl game. They were in line for a trip to the BCS national championship game before being upset at home by Pittsburgh in their final regular season contest.

Earlier this month, LSU coach Les Miles, who has ties to Michigan, having played for the Wolverines and having coached for the team, announced he is not leaving his current position.

Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano also withdrew his name from consideration as a replacement for Carr.

paintmered
12-15-2007, 12:17 AM
I'd be very worried about Rich Rodriguez in Ann Arbor if you are an OSU fan.

guttle11
12-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Hiring Rodriguez would be great for OSU. He's already trained in how to lose your last game of the season. More free time for Tressel.

Handofdeath
12-15-2007, 01:45 AM
Rodriguez grew up 30 miles from the WV campus and is an alumnus. He turned down more money last year to coach at Alabama but most coaches if you throw enough money and power their way will take a job. I just don't understand what he could accomplish at UM that he can't at West Virginia.

WVRed
12-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Hiring Rodriguez would be great for OSU. He's already trained in how to lose your last game of the season. More free time for Tressel.

He runs the exact style of offense that gives Ohio State fits. Illinois ran it and succeeded, and I don't think I need to mention what happened in last years national championship against Florida. The offenses are similar.

Ohio State has had no luck in containing the spread option, and that is exactly what Coach Rod brings to the table. I look for Michigan to be back to prominence within three years if this is true.

WVRed
12-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Rodriguez grew up 30 miles from the WV campus and is an alumnus. He turned down more money last year to coach at Alabama but most coaches if you throw enough money and power their way will take a job. I just don't understand what he could accomplish at UM that he can't at West Virginia.

I don't blame Rodriguez for flirting with the Alabama job last year because it led to him getting a huge raise and a promise that the athletic facilities would be upgraded in Morgantown.

If he does take the Michigan job though, he will alienate everybody in the state after what happened last year. Last night on the news affiliate here, people were already sounding off.

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Win a national championship. For my money, year in, year out, Michigan is a tier above West Virginia and always will be. I think Rodriguez realizes that. He will nearly always be in the hunt at Michigan

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I don't blame Rodriguez for flirting with the Alabama job last year because it led to him getting a huge raise and a promise that the athletic facilities would be upgraded in Morgantown.

If he does take the Michigan job though, he will alienate everybody in the state after what happened last year. Last night on the news affiliate here, people were already sounding off.

I don't think he will be worrying about alienating the Mountie supporters if he takes the job at Michigan.

paintmered
12-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Win a national championship. For my money, year in, year out, Michigan is a tier above West Virginia and always will be. I think Rodriguez realizes that. He will nearly always be in the hunt at Michigan

West Virginia has been just as close to the national championship as Michigan the last few years.

The Big 10 has no more advantage of getting to the national championship than any of the other BCS conferences.

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2007, 12:38 PM
"The last few years," is exactly the key. West Virginia will make a run every now and then, but Michigan and its history affords Rodriguez the opportunity to always be in contention. West Virginia has never won a National Championship. Michigan has won 11. Whether he takes it or not will be interesting. I can't blame him for listening.

WVRed
12-15-2007, 12:59 PM
"The last few years," is exactly the key. West Virginia will make a run every now and then, but Michigan and its history affords Rodriguez the opportunity to always be in contention. West Virginia has never won a National Championship. Michigan has won 11. Whether he takes it or not will be interesting. I can't blame him for listening.

I would compare it to Billy Gillispie and Kentucky.

Gillispie could have stayed at Texas A&M and probably done the same things in basketball that Rich Rodriguez did at WVU in football. However, when your main recruiting base is Texas and one state alone and another program with the history and tradition offers you control with state of the art facilities and the ability to go after players that never would have considered you at Texas A&M or WVU, you have a decision to make.

Of course, you could have the Coach K's of the world and just stay at one place and build your legacy there.

One thing to point out though, outside of Noel Devine, the best players from WVU were not highly sought coming out of high school. Pat White and Steve Slaton were both three star recruits on Scout, but the one RB that Rodriguez did have that was a big time recruit was Jason Gwaltney, who ended up being a bust.

Chip R
12-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Dear Michigan,

Please stop poaching our coaches.

Love,

West Virginia ;)

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2007, 01:39 PM
I would compare it to Billy Gillispie and Kentucky.

Gillispie could have stayed at Texas A&M and probably done the same things in basketball that Rich Rodriguez did at WVU in football. However, when your main recruiting base is Texas and one state alone and another program with the history and tradition offers you control with state of the art facilities and the ability to go after players that never would have considered you at Texas A&M or WVU, you have a decision to make.

Of course, you could have the Coach K's of the world and just stay at one place and build your legacy there.

One thing to point out though, outside of Noel Devine, the best players from WVU were not highly sought coming out of high school. Pat White and Steve Slaton were both three star recruits on Scout, but the one RB that Rodriguez did have that was a big time recruit was Jason Gwaltney, who ended up being a bust.

Good post!

LoganBuck
12-15-2007, 01:45 PM
He runs the exact style of offense that gives Ohio State fits. Illinois ran it and succeeded, and I don't think I need to mention what happened in last years national championship against Florida. The offenses are similar.

Ohio State has had no luck in containing the spread option, and that is exactly what Coach Rod brings to the table. I look for Michigan to be back to prominence within three years if this is true.

The spread option thing is overrated, it has become a popular common belief that Ohio State can't stop it. I have yet to find any team that can completely shut it down, outside of an injury to the star quarterback that the offense relies on. Ohio State has lost those games because they have had failures on offense. Don't buy the hype about the spread option in regards to Ohio State. When a team with a good spread option quarterback and well executed offense comes to town they will score points. The key is to execute and limit mistakes when you have the ball. The last five losses that people like to point out are direct results of offensive failure for Ohio State. Don't buy the hype.

Rodriguez would need to fix Michigan's defense more than their offense. I have never considered him a purveyor of good, strong, fundamental defense

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2007, 01:51 PM
The spread option is lethal if you have Pat White running it. It wasn't so good when they lost White against Pittl It isn't hype or overrated when you have the right man sitting in the driver's seat at the QB position. A lot of teams are going to struggle with the spread option with that kind of speed and talent at the controls. I really didn't want to see Ohio State against WVU. With White running that offense, I think they would have been in a heap of trouble, and I am no fan of WVU.

OnBaseMachine
12-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Michigan has won one (1) National Championship since 1948. I'd say Rich Rod has just a good a chance at winning a NC at WVU as he does at Michigan.

LoganBuck
12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
The spread option is lethal if you have Pat White running it. It wasn't so good when they lost White against Pittl It isn't hype or overrated when you have the right man sitting in the driver's seat at the QB position. A lot of teams are going to struggle with the spread option with that kind of speed and talent at the controls. I really didn't want to see Ohio State against WVU. With White running that offense, I think they would have been in a heap of trouble, and I am no fan of WVU.

The point is that it would have been on the offense to score some points, because yes, WVU would put up points. That is the point everyone is missing about Ohio State against the spread offense. Yes they will score points, but in order to beat a team like that you must score, not turn the ball over, and be productive when you have the ball. Pitt beat WVU not only because of White's injury, but because of turnovers, and they ran at will on them and controlled the clock all night. Look into the Ohio State offensive stats from their last five losses and the answer will be overly clear.

pedro
12-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Michigan has won one (1) National Championship since 1948. I'd say Rich Rod has just a good a chance at winning a NC at WVU as he does at Michigan.

It's not that he can't win a NC at WV it's that Rich Rodriguez at Michigan can out recruit Rich Rodriguez at WV. That's just the way it is. Michigan has way more recruiting power than WV does.

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Well said, pedro.

In my honest opinion, Pitt beat WVU because of White's injury, plain and simple. I don't think there is any question that they would have scored more had White been in the lineup. When WVU is right on offense, they can put up points in a hurry. Pitt would have not been able to control the clock by running all night. The game would have taken on a totally different look and Pitt would have had to put up the kind of points that a ball control offense would not have allowed. As Pat White goes, so goes the Mountaineers. When White is right, I don't think the current Ohio State offense can put up the kind of points that it would take to beat them. White is as "electric" as any runner that I have seen this season, and his running allows him to pass a little, as well.

Handofdeath
12-15-2007, 05:01 PM

Maybe so but on January 1, unranked Michigan is playing #12 Florida in the second-tier Capital One Bowl. That same day #9 West Virginia is playing #3 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

RedFanAlways1966
12-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Maybe so but on January 1, unranked Michigan is playing #12 Florida in the second-tier Capital One Bowl. That same day #9 West Virginia is playing #3 Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

I understand your point; however, where do you think an unranked WVU team would play in the post-season? I highly doubt they would get to play #12 and get to play even in a 2nd-tier bowl game. Right or wrong... the school/name carries clout. In the post-season, in recruiting and in the coaching profession.

paintmered
12-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I understand your point; however, where do you think an unranked WVU team would play in the post-season? I highly doubt they would get to play #12 and get to play even in a 2nd-tier bowl game. Right or wrong... the school/name carries clout. In the post-season, in recruiting and in the coaching profession.

It's a matter of bowl tie-ins. Right now, the Big 10 has very strong bowl tie-ins and the Big East has very weak tie-ins. It's unfortunate that the last round of negotiations occurred right after the ACC pilfered the Big East. The bowl games wanted nothing to do with the Big East in 2004. The next round of negotiations is approaching; expect the Big East bowl tie-ins to improve dramatically.

Half the Big East teams finished in the BCS Top 25. So if WVU was unranked, they'd probably end up 4th. In this instance, WVU would play in either the Papajohns.com bowl or the International Bowl (both sucky games).

Unranked Michigan playing in the Capital One bowl shows the overall strength of Big 10 bowl tie-ins as well as the overall weakness of the conference this year. No BCS conference should have their second place team finish unranked. On the other hand, the SEC #3 is ranked 12th. That's the difference between the Big 10 and the SEC this year.

I'm not denying the past success of Michigan or their rich history. Michigan is in top echelon of successful programs in college football history. But today, the quantity of scholarships is limited and parity reigns supreme. Tradition, while still relevant, translates less to the actual success of the football team than it did 10 years ago. I guess teams like Kansas, Missouri and WVU didn't get the memo that little tradition prevents them from playing for the national championship. I guess teams like Notre Dame, Miami and Nebraska didn't get the memo that tradition prevents them from having poor seasons. Tradition, by itself, does not prevent a team from losing and lack of it doesn't prevent a team from winning. The gap isn't completely gone, but it's much smaller than many fans would like to admit.

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't see any of those teams playing for the National Championship, nor can I remember many times that they have, or, as an overall program, have been considered in the same class with Michigan. (And after West Virginia, Michigan is probably my least favorite team in college football)

As far as the Big East goes, they are not the same Big East that used to feature Miami, Boston College, and at one time, Penn State. I just don't see the Big East as a great conference right now. Put some of those teams in a stronger conference and I don't think they are there. Just an opinion.

paintmered
12-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't see any of those teams playing for the National Championship, nor can I remember many times that they have, or, as an overall program, have been considered in the same class with Michigan. (And after West Virginia, Michigan is probably my least favorite team in college football)

That's my point. The football "class structure" matters less each year.

RollyInRaleigh
12-15-2007, 07:43 PM
You'll have to admit that this was not your "typical" year in college football, and they don't happen like this very often. Definitely not the norm.

Handofdeath
12-16-2007, 06:08 AM
It's a matter of bowl tie-ins. Right now, the Big 10 has very strong bowl tie-ins and the Big East has very weak tie-ins. It's unfortunate that the last round of negotiations occurred right after the ACC pilfered the Big East. The bowl games wanted nothing to do with the Big East in 2004. The next round of negotiations is approaching; expect the Big East bowl tie-ins to improve dramatically.

Half the Big East teams finished in the BCS Top 25. So if WVU was unranked, they'd probably end up 4th. In this instance, WVU would play in either the Papajohns.com bowl or the International Bowl (both sucky games).

Unranked Michigan playing in the Capital One bowl shows the overall strength of Big 10 bowl tie-ins as well as the overall weakness of the conference this year. No BCS conference should have their second place team finish unranked. On the other hand, the SEC #3 is ranked 12th. That's the difference between the Big 10 and the SEC this year.

I'm not denying the past success of Michigan or their rich history. Michigan is in top echelon of successful programs in college football history. But today, the quantity of scholarships is limited and parity reigns supreme. Tradition, while still relevant, translates less to the actual success of the football team than it did 10 years ago. I guess teams like Kansas, Missouri and WVU didn't get the memo that little tradition prevents them from playing for the national championship. I guess teams like Notre Dame, Miami and Nebraska didn't get the memo that tradition prevents them from having poor seasons. Tradition, by itself, does not prevent a team from losing and lack of it doesn't prevent a team from winning. The gap isn't completely gone, but it's much smaller than many fans would like to admit.

Excellent points. It is about bowl tie ins but also just as much it's about how many fans will show up at the game and what kind of team you have. 8-4 and unranked Texas Tech is playing in the Gator Bowl on New Years Day against #20 Virginia. Why? That offense and the fact that Texas Tech fans have a history of traveling in droves for bowl games. And WVa has played for the National Title twice. In 1988 against Notre Dame and 1993 against Florida with Don Nehlen coaching both times. Nehlen was preceded by Bobby Bowden by the way. And had WVa beat Pitt a few weeks back, they might be playing for the championship this year. They are a relatively young program compared to Michigan though but in recent years they stack up against just about anybody. A little trivia, Mountaineer Field opened in 1980 with John Denver on hand to sing Country Roads to mark the occasion. By a score of 41 -27 they beat the University of Cincinnati.

RollyInRaleigh
12-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Excellent points. It is about bowl tie ins but also just as much it's about how many fans will show up at the game and what kind of team you have. 8-4 and unranked Texas Tech is playing in the Gator Bowl on New Years Day against #20 Virginia. Why? That offense and the fact that Texas Tech fans have a history of traveling in droves for bowl games. And WVa has played for the National Title twice. In 1988 against Notre Dame and 1993 against Florida with Don Nehlen coaching both times. Nehlen was preceded by Bobby Bowden by the way. And had WVa beat Pitt a few weeks back, they might be playing for the championship this year. They are a relatively young program compared to Michigan though but in recent years they stack up against just about anybody. A little trivia, Mountaineer Field opened in 1980 with John Denver on hand to sing Country Roads to mark the occasion. By a score of 41 -27 they beat the University of Cincinnati.

Florida State defeated Nebraska in the 1993 National Championship game.

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm too young to remember so I'm just looking at old schedules and such, but if West Virginia had beaten Florida in 1993 then WVA would have most likely split the NC with FSU.

westofyou
12-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Too young to remember 1993?

West Virginia was scheduled to play the Florida Gators in the Sugar Bowl. The Mountaineers first drive went 80-yards and scored on a pass, then stopped the Gators on their first drive. The next Gator-drive almost went three-and-out, until a personal foul on Steve Perkins gave Florida the momentum. Jake Kelchner was playing a good game, but then Don Nehlen surprised many by putting Studstill in. On the Mountaineers first drive, Studstill threw an interception. Florida ran off with the game after that, winning 41-7.

Coach Don Nehlen said of the game, "We had wanted to play Nebraska in the Orange Bowl as the only two undefeated teams, but the bowl coalition didn't like the match. Instead, we were slotted to play Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl. Instead, the Sugar Bowl paid more money so the conference and administration wanted us to play Florida."

BTW I can remember 1973 and I'm still ticked about that 10-10 tie and the conference sending OSU to the Rose Bowl.

paintmered
12-16-2007, 10:40 AM

I remember watching that game in my grandparents living room.

RedFanAlways1966
12-16-2007, 01:19 PM
BTW I can remember 1973 and I'm still ticked about that 10-10 tie and the conference sending OSU to the Rose Bowl.

Didn't Michigan's QB (Franklin?) get his leg broken in that game? And it was thought that he would not be able to play in the Rose Bowl; therefore, the other ADs voted OSU b/c they felt they would have a better chance to win the Rose Bowl.

I am sure UM fans were mad. But wouldn't OSU fans also be mad if UM was sent that year? IIRC they were both unbeaten with the tie being the only blemish on either record. Darned if they do, darned if they don't. Kind of like the BCS unless there are only two undefeated BCS conference schools left after the regular season.

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2007, 01:20 PM

I was six at the time. ;)

IslandRed
12-16-2007, 01:39 PM
You'll have to admit that this was not your "typical" year in college football, and they don't happen like this very often. Definitely not the norm.

You're right, it's not going to be this crazy every year.

At the same time, parity is real. We were talking about this on another board -- nearly everything that's happened in football for the last decade has worked as a leveling force. (Or, to put it in Moneyball terms, the system is getting more efficient.)

* Advances in communication and information exchange, digital video being primary. Schools that don't have the huge recruiting travel budgets now have a chance to beat the name schools by doing a better job of video evaluation.

* More and more games on TV means a player doesn't have to go to certain schools to be on TV.

* Scholarship limits have been around for awhile, but now that the talent is being distributed more efficiently, mistakes hurt more.

* Even the high schools are more efficient at preparing players for the college game now.

It was said in Moneyball that a hallmark of an increasingly-efficient system was the reduction in the number of outliers. I think back to when I was younger, I'd watch people bounce off Herschel Walker, or the Nebraska offensive line steamroll people, or Deion Sanders make everyone else look like they were running in slow motion. I rarely see that kind of physical dominance anymore. Where are the freaks in college football now? The ones whose size and/or speed make you say there's no one else like him? This extends to the team level. The differences in size, strength and speed that define a physically excellent team from a not-so-good one are pretty narrow. It's rare to watch a game and immediately be able to discern that one team is more physically gifted than the other.

The upshot is, there will still be premier programs, and it's still easier for certain schools to be those programs. But just being a name school doesn't guarantee anything. It's a fight to get to the top and a fight to stay there. So we can probably expect more highly entertaining seasons in the future, if not necessarily as weird as this one.

westofyou
12-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Didn't Michigan's QB (Franklin?) get his leg broken in that game? And it was thought that he would not be able to play in the Rose Bowl; therefore, the other ADs voted OSU b/c they felt they would have a better chance to win the Rose Bowl.

I am sure UM fans were mad. But wouldn't OSU fans also be mad if UM was sent that year? IIRC they were both unbeaten with the tie being the only blemish on either record. Darned if they do, darned if they don't. Kind of like the BCS unless there are only two undefeated BCS conference schools left after the regular season.

I think Denny did break his leg, the issue I think was that lately UM hadn't been and OSU had.. I suppose they thought it was their turn.

IRRC that Rose Bowl was the Sam Bam Cunningham Rose Bowl.

westofyou
12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
I was six at the time. ;)

I have boots older then you

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I have boots older then you

You have a great pair of boots then. ;)

I have to buy a new pair of boots for work almost every six months or so due to my others leaking.

KronoRed
12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I remember watching that game in my grandparents living room.

That was a great game, Florida broke out the old hidden ball play and it went for 20+ yards, West Virginia's QB was sacked hard and lined up under the left guard on the next play.

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Breaking news coming across one of the news stations here in WV: Rich Rod is leaving WVA for the Michigan job.

RollyInRaleigh
12-16-2007, 02:21 PM
http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=32640

redsfan30
12-16-2007, 02:33 PM
This is a MUCH better hire for Michigan than Les Miles would have been.

Fil3232
12-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Good hire for Michigan.

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2007, 02:43 PM
In the last year Michigan has hired West Virginia basketball coach (John Beilein) and now their football coach (Rich Rodriguez). Beilein leaving was a blessing in disguise for WVA because Huggins is a better coach than Beilein. Terry Bowden will probably replace Rodriguez.

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Also, because of this hire, Terrelle Pryor has added Michigan to his list and eliminated Tennessee due to Cutcliffe taking the Duke job.

KronoRed
12-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Also, because of this hire, Terrelle Pryor has added Michigan to his list and eliminated Tennessee due to Cutcliffe taking the Duke job.

Boy someone likes pain, first Ole Miss and now Duke.

KronoRed
12-16-2007, 02:45 PM
Bowden would be an awful hire for West Virginia.

Nice hire for Michigan though.

OnBaseMachine
12-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I'd like to see WVA go after Mike Leach or Gus Malzahn.

Norm Chow appears to be the favorite for the UCLA job. June Jones is also very interested in that job.

GoReds33
12-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Does anybody think that Brian Kelly could become a candidate for WV? He runs the same system, and has had very good success. I really hope not though. He's supposedly close to signing a new deal with UC.

paintmered
12-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Sad day for WVU fans. :(

RollyInRaleigh
12-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Rodriguez better lock his doors and put the couches on a truck to Ann Arbour.

marcshoe
12-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Does anybody think that Brian Kelly could become a candidate for WV? He runs the same system, and has had very good success. I really hope not though. He's supposedly close to signing a new deal with UC.

This is the type of coach WVU needs to look for, imho. Forget Terry B; look for a younger guy who knows the offense.

WVRed
12-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Rodriguez better lock his doors and put the couches on a truck to Ann Arbour.

Yep. If he wants to make it out of the state alive, it would be best to leave middle of the night.

For those who are wondering why Rodriguez couldnt have just stayed at WVU, look at Terrelle Pryor. Rodriguez was recruiting Pryor at WVU but he was considered a lock for Ohio State. Now that Rodriguez is at Michigan, he has the number one recruit in the nation possibly at his doorstep. The Michigan letterhead is much more effective than a WVU one.

I like the idea of Brian Kelly at WVU though.

6-4-3
12-16-2007, 09:51 PM
As a Michigan fan I am liking this hire more by the minute. If Rich-Rod can bring the type of talent to Ann Arbor that he brought to Morgantown, i'll be very pleased. Next season could be rocky because the type of players at the skill positions do not have the skill to run the spread.

However, this is why making a hire is so time important. He will now have time to hit the recruiting trail and start to bring in the type of players he needs to run the spread. If Terrelle Pryor comes to Michigan it would be a HUGE first step in the Rich-Rod era.

LoganBuck
12-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Pryor to Michigan would be a kick in the gut for Ohio State fans, who have been led to believe that they are in the drivers seat. Yikes.

MWM
12-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Pryor to Michigan would be a kick in the gut for Ohio State fans, who have been led to believe that they are in the drivers seat. Yikes.

And a kick in the butt to Ryn Mallett as well. I can't see Pryor going to Michigan with Mallett having 3 more years, unless he's led to believe he'll start over Mallett. And then I can't see Mallett staying. At OSU, he's got a reasonable expectation that he'll get a decent amount of PT his freshman year in a Tebow type of role, and then would roll right into the starting job as a sophomore. But you never know. Blue chippers have committed to schools before who had an entrenched player at their position for a few years to come.

WVRed
12-16-2007, 11:00 PM
And a kick in the butt to Ryn Mallett as well. I can't see Pryor going to Michigan with Mallett having 3 more years, unless he's led to believe he'll start over Mallett. And then I can't see Mallett staying. At OSU, he's got a reasonable expectation that he'll get a decent amount of PT his freshman year in a Tebow type of role, and then would roll right into the starting job as a sophomore. But you never know. Blue chippers have committed to schools before who had an entrenched player at their position for a few years to come.

USC and Notre Dame say hi on the last comment.

I think Mallett is going to transfer. He isn't a mobile QB that could fit into Rodriguez's system and if Pryor commits, his decision will be made easier.

6-4-3
12-16-2007, 11:06 PM
I think Mallett is going to transfer. He isn't a mobile QB that could fit into Rodriguez's system and if Pryor commits, his decision will be made easier.

I think Mallett will at least be around next year, starting the season as the #1 QB. Rodriguez will need time to install his offense, and at the same time will need to get some wins to gain instant credibility in Ann Arbor. Starting Mallett at QB and Kevin Grady at RB (while both non-spread players) will give him the best chance to win next year, while installing the system with "his" younger guys.

Cedric
12-16-2007, 11:10 PM
USC and Notre Dame say hi on the last comment.

Did you watch Rodriguez at Tulane? He adapts his system. It wasn't a read option there.

I'm just glad we won't have to hear about Michigan and their fans arrogance about their integrity. Rich Rodriguez and WVA were willing to take anyone and everyone that helped them win. Bo would not like this hire, I bet my left hand on that. Michigan is just a desperate program. Can't blame them for being that though.

6-4-3
12-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Bo would not like this hire, I bet my left hand on that. Michigan is just a desperate program. Can't blame them for being that though.

Agreed. I am (for obvious reasons) very anxious to see how the next 5-10 years will play out.

George Foster
12-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Did you watch Rodriguez at Tulane? He adapts his system. It wasn't a read option there.

I'm just glad we won't have to hear about Michigan and their fans arrogance about their integrity. Rich Rodriguez and WVA were willing to take anyone and everyone that helped them win. Bo would not like this hire, I bet my left hand on that. Michigan is just a desperate program. Can't blame them for being that though.

Rodriguez just lost the biggest game of his life to a losing team at home. They were a "lock" for the national championship game. Just beat Pitt who at the time was 4-7. He coached not to lose. They did lose their QB in the game but Pitt controlled the 4th quarter.

Who is going to pay the 4 million dollar buy out in Rodriguez's contract?? Bo is rolling over as we speak.

Benihana
12-17-2007, 01:11 AM
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!! GO BLUE!!!!!!

(I love how suddenly concerned all the Buckeye fans just became)

WVPacman
12-17-2007, 01:21 AM
Im a diehard WVU fan and I can tell you I am glad he is gone.The guy will fit in perfect with Michigan b/c he is nothing but SCUM.Im on a WVU messegeboard and 90% of the WVU fans are glad he is gone b/c the man was nothing but a liar.He lied to the program for two years now saying he would never leave and WVU was his dream job.He also said he was here to stay:rolleyes:

He even called that terrell pryor first that he was leaving WVU b/c he even told the WVU players.As for somebody saying he should leave in the dark b/c of the way he handled the situation.Well he did but the rumors are that some of the WVU fans heard about it and was there waiting on him.They was holloring at him and they sure was'nt saying have a nice trip lol.

The guy knew how to win games BUT he was a low life scumbag with a big ego.We are glad he is gone and he knows he is never welcome back in the State.

guttle11
12-17-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm a Buckeye fan and I'm not at all concerned. Between this and the Florida and Illinois losses, I actually feel extremely confident that OSU's days of struggling against the spread offense are numbered. Tressel will not let Michigan out coach him.

Don't get me wrong, I think Rodriquez is a solid hire for Michigan. He will recruit great talent to fit his offense. If he doesn't swoop in and steal Pryor from OSU, he'll get another QB in that mold next year. He will succeed. He will get Michigan back to the BCS on a yearly basis and compete for National titles.

And you know what, when that happens, the rivalry and the Big Ten will be much better for it. That's a good thing.

Roy Tucker
12-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Solid hire for UM. Rodriguez is a good coach and is in the prime of his career. Michigan's program will be revitalized.

But I do think the OSU coaching staff will figure out the spread offense and make adjustments.

Will Rodriguez run into more stringent academic requirements at UM than what he was used to at WVU?

westofyou
12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Agreed. I am (for obvious reasons) very anxious to see how the next 5-10 years will play out.

Yeah they're real desperate.

When I (a UM fan) want to get a pulse on the Wolverines I always query a board packed with OSU fans too.

6-4-3
12-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah they're real desperate.

When I (a UM fan) want to get a pulse on the Wolverines I always query a board packed with OSU fans too.

I don't know if desperate is the correct word choice. However, there should be a sense of urgency in this program. I know (from my view point as a fan) that I find the recent string of losses to OSU and in Bowls to be complete unacceptable. That alone should light a fire under somebodies rear end, if it takes getting "desperate" then call it what you want.

I also don't believe Bo would like this hire, so therefore I do agree with the OSU fans on that aspect. However, I know like many Michigan fans I am more growing more excited by the minute about this hire.

MartyFan
12-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I went to Ohio State...sat in Block O...when I was a kid I met Woody...every Friday from my 7th grade year on I wear my Buckeye colors and I wear another set on Saturday (even when it isn't football season)...that said, I think this is a GREAT hire for the team up north...the guy is a top notch coach and I would say increases their chance of landing a the top QB in the country out of PA.

Now, I have always liked the other teams coach too...that was tough for me during the John cooper era as I could not stand John Cooper...BTW, he sucked!

I look forward to seeing how he and Tressel battle one another over the years.

pedro
12-17-2007, 01:13 PM
As a Michigan fan I am very happy with this hire. Much better candidate than Les Miles IMO.

gonelong
12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Good hire for Michigan and the Big10+1 in general.

GL

15fan
12-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Rodriguez joining Beilein in *nn *rb*r makes perfect sense.

When UM needs a new coach, they must convince someone to leave wherever it is they are calling home, and move to metro-Detroit.

Morgantown, WV is one of the few places on earth that would make metro-Detroit look like a greener pasture.

;)

RollyInRaleigh
12-17-2007, 02:53 PM
:laugh: Morgantown is not "Almost Heaven."

Benihana
12-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Rodriguez joining Beilein in *nn *rb*r makes perfect sense.

When UM needs a new coach, they must convince someone to leave wherever it is they are calling home, and move to metro-Detroit.

Morgantown, WV is one of the few places on earth that would make metro-Detroit look like a greener pasture.

;)

Ann Arbor is a very far cry from Metro-Detroit. About the only thing it shares with Detroit is an airport. If you've ever been there, you would know that.

westofyou
12-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Ann Arbor is a very far cry from Metro-Detroit. About the only thing it shares with Detroit is an airport. If you've ever been there, you would know that.

I lived in Ann Arbor in middle school, a great town to have a bike in.

Unassisted
12-17-2007, 04:42 PM
I know so little about Rodriguez and the WVU football program that I can't decide what I think about this. My initial impression was that the hire does more to raise Rodriguez's profile than it does Michigan's. I'm no fan of Les Miles, so I agree that it seems to be a better hire than Les Miles would have been.

Speaking now as a "citizen" of the Big Ten, having another practitioner of a 21st century offense at the helm in Ann Arbor should provide a boost for non-conference play across the conference. http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/images/smilies/smiley_aahs.gif

traderumor
12-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Solid hire for UM. Rodriguez is a good coach and is in the prime of his career. Michigan's program will be revitalized.

But I do think the OSU coaching staff will figure out the spread offense and make adjustments.

Will Rodriguez run into more stringent academic requirements at UM than what he was used to at WVU?I don't think its a matter of figuring it out, but a matter of realizing that they might have to rethink personnel in a game against the gimmick. That is what I came away from the Illinois game thinking, that just trying to hunker down with the hosses against the spread is a recipe for disaster, and it has been twice now. Get the DTs out of there, go to a three man line, get an extra LBer in the game playing down at times who serves as the key on the QB at all times.

will5979
12-17-2007, 05:30 PM
Rich Rod is nothing but an arrogant self centered egotistical maniac. I hope his career tanks and he ends up coaching some 2nd rate program. Enjoy being owned by Ohio State every year ya jerk.

Handofdeath
12-17-2007, 06:01 PM
I hope his career tanks and he ends up coaching some 2nd rate program.
Considering 2 of the last 3 seasons Michigan has been 7-5 and 8-4, your wish is not too far from reality.

Highlifeman21
12-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Im a diehard WVU fan and I can tell you I am glad he is gone.The guy will fit in perfect with Michigan b/c he is nothing but SCUM.Im on a WVU messegeboard and 90% of the WVU fans are glad he is gone b/c the man was nothing but a liar.He lied to the program for two years now saying he would never leave and WVU was his dream job.He also said he was here to stay:rolleyes:

He even called that terrell pryor first that he was leaving WVU b/c he even told the WVU players.As for somebody saying he should leave in the dark b/c of the way he handled the situation.Well he did but the rumors are that some of the WVU fans heard about it and was there waiting on him.They was holloring at him and they sure was'nt saying have a nice trip lol.

The guy knew how to win games BUT he was a low life scumbag with a big ego.We are glad he is gone and he knows he is never welcome back in the State.

Love the raw passion and emotion, but once the dust settles you'll realize that at the end of the day Rich Rodriguez put WVU on the map. In the last 7 seasons, the man went 60-26 and won 4 out of the last 5 Big East Championships. Let's also not forget 6 consecutive bowl bids.

Rodriguez is moving on to take a better job. How many of us have done that in our lives? I can't fault the man for not settling for the status quo, and accepting a challenge. I guess you can.

Rodriguez was highly courted by Alabama last year, and remained loyal to WVU. I guess in WV he's a liar by not taking the Alabama job but now taking the Michigan job?

If your sentiments are how the majority of WVU fans feel about Rodriguez leaving, then WVU didn't deserve Rich Rodriguez. He's probably glad he's going to a school where the fans will actually appreciate him.

marcshoe
12-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Don Nehlen put the football program on the map. Rodriguez ratcheted things up a notch.

Football coaches talk about character, but when talk turns to money, all that goes out the window. Calling Pryor before even talking to school officials was beyond the pale. Last I heard, he hadn't even returned the governor's call (and Rodriguez has a relationship with Gov. Manchin going back to his younger days, when he worked for him in his furniture store).

Rodriguez made a commitment to the school and led everyone to believe that this was real. Solid. He's shown what he's made of.

RedFanAlways1966
12-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Lloyd Carr and Rich Rodriguez have coached in the same number of BCS Bowl Games in the last 5 years (3 each).

In the last 7 seasons Rodriguez has won only 2 more games than Carr (57 wins - 55 wins).

IslandRed
12-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Football coaches talk about character, but when talk turns to money, all that goes out the window.

Rodriguez made a commitment to the school and led everyone to believe that this was real. Solid. He's shown what he's made of.

I know where you're coming from.

At the same time, it's a two-edged sword. If he'd started losing too many ballgames, contract or no contract, WVU wouldn't have hesitated to fire him and the fans wouldn't have lost a minute's sleep over it. And it's 99% likely that whoever WVU hires to replace him is currently under contract somewhere else.

It stinks, but it's how the game is played nowadays.

LoganBuck
12-17-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't think its a matter of figuring it out, but a matter of realizing that they might have to rethink personnel in a game against the gimmick. That is what I came away from the Illinois game thinking, that just trying to hunker down with the hosses against the spread is a recipe for disaster, and it has been twice now. Get the DTs out of there, go to a three man line, get an extra LBer in the game playing down at times who serves as the key on the QB at all times.

That is where I disagree with you about beating the spread scheme. I don't think it is about "getting the DTs out of there". It is more about getting that pressure on that QB. Not trying to sit back and stop him after he makes his decision. Think attack, not react. I think a must to stopping the spread is getting that disruptive force coming up the middle. A definate upgrade is needed at DT for Ohio State because they don't have a single player like that. The current style of DT at Ohio State is a lane clogger, not a disrupter.

Virginia Beach Reds
12-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Great hire. Best coach UM could have gotten, including Les Miles. I can't wait until next fall! I am completely stoked. I love the fire this man has and the fact that he doesn't just coach-speak. Did anyone see his presser after the loss to Pitt. That's the kind of guy fans and players should be excited for. someone who really cares!

He will push UM into top 5 program again and bring exciting football to all fans of the Big 10. I, for ONE, was growing tired of the conservative 70's style football.

UM fans should be rejoicing everywhere. We finally obtained a coach, and a GREAT one at that!

Go Blue.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-17-2007, 10:04 PM
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!! GO BLUE!!!!!!

(I love how suddenly concerned all the Buckeye fans just became)Not at all, I would guess if that team up north were to have stolen The sweater vest from OSU you would be much happier than you are about getting The Rod

marcshoe
12-17-2007, 10:05 PM
I know where you're coming from.

At the same time, it's a two-edged sword. If he'd started losing too many ballgames, contract or no contract, WVU wouldn't have hesitated to fire him and the fans wouldn't have lost a minute's sleep over it. And it's 99&#37; likely that whoever WVU hires to replace him is currently under contract somewhere else.

It stinks, but it's how the game is played nowadays.

I'm sure the new coach will be under contract somewhere (unless it's Terry B), just like Huggins was when he was hired. This case seems particularly irksome because of the context.

The latest wild rumor, one that certainly continues the cycle, is that the agent for WV native (from near where Rodriguez lived) Nick Saban has contacted WVU saying that he's unhappy at Alabama.

Most likely just wish-fulfillment on somebody's part, but still...Good grief.

WVPacman
12-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Don Nehlen put the football program on the map. Rodriguez ratcheted things up a notch.

Football coaches talk about character, but when talk turns to money, all that goes out the window. Calling Pryor before even talking to school officials was beyond the pale. Last I heard, he hadn't even returned the governor's call (and Rodriguez has a relationship with Gov. Manchin going back to his younger days, when he worked for him in his furniture store).

EXACTLY Tixie!!!

15fan
12-18-2007, 08:33 AM

I actually have been to Ann Arbor. During college, a buddy was interning with Ford one summer and was staying on the UM campus. Went up to visit and had a good time.

(Note the ;) in my original post.)

I would, however, point out that any place that gets this (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/weather/12/17/winter.storm.ap/index.html#cnnSTCText) kind of weather on a semi-regular basis deserves to drop a few notches on the desireability index. 10+ inches of snow? Nooooooooooo thanks. Life's way to short.

bucksfan2
12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
Love the raw passion and emotion, but once the dust settles you'll realize that at the end of the day Rich Rodriguez put WVU on the map. In the last 7 seasons, the man went 60-26 and won 4 out of the last 5 Big East Championships. Let's also not forget 6 consecutive bowl bids.

Rodriguez is moving on to take a better job. How many of us have done that in our lives? I can't fault the man for not settling for the status quo, and accepting a challenge. I guess you can.

Rodriguez was highly courted by Alabama last year, and remained loyal to WVU. I guess in WV he's a liar by not taking the Alabama job but now taking the Michigan job?

If your sentiments are how the majority of WVU fans feel about Rodriguez leaving, then WVU didn't deserve Rich Rodriguez. He's probably glad he's going to a school where the fans will actually appreciate him.

Rodriguez did turn WVU around but the turn around also was helped by Miami, VaTech, and BC all leaving the Big East. He also coached in a league where the talent level across the board wasn't as comparable to that of even the lowly Big 10. He had two trump cards White and Slaton that were heads and shoulders above the rest of the competition. Look I am not saying he is a bad coach or anything but I think it will be interesting. I am interested to see how he coaches against better athletes game in game out.

RollyInRaleigh
12-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Rodriguez did turn WVU around but the turn around also was helped by Miami, VaTech, and BC all leaving the Big East. He also coached in a league where the talent level across the board wasn't as comparable to that of even the lowly Big 10. He had two trump cards White and Slaton that were heads and shoulders above the rest of the competition. Look I am not saying he is a bad coach or anything but I think it will be interesting. I am interested to see how he coaches against better athletes game in game out.

Bingo!

traderumor
12-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Great hire. Best coach UM could have gotten, including Les Miles. I can't wait until next fall! I am completely stoked. I love the fire this man has and the fact that he doesn't just coach-speak. Did anyone see his presser after the loss to Pitt. That's the kind of guy fans and players should be excited for. someone who really cares!

He will push UM into top 5 program again and bring exciting football to all fans of the Big 10. I, for ONE, was growing tired of the conservative 70's style football.

UM fans should be rejoicing everywhere. We finally obtained a coach, and a GREAT one at that!

Go Blue.I'm a Buckeye fan and I'm rejoicing as well. I didn't see the postgame press conference, but I did see the deer in the headlights look during the game, especially as it became pretty evident that even the refs would be unable to steal a win. I said silently to myself at the time, "ah, I know that look, those are John Cooper eyes in a big game."

Redsfaithful
12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm a Buckeye fan and I'm rejoicing as well. I didn't see the postgame press conference, but I did see the deer in the headlights look during the game, especially as it became pretty evident that even the refs would be unable to steal a win. I said silently to myself at the time, "ah, I know that look, those are John Cooper eyes in a big game."

I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach look that stressed.

westofyou
12-18-2007, 11:59 AM
So... the UM hire comes from a more obscure background then Youngstown State?

And somehow he'll be worse for the University in the long run than John Cooper was at OSU.

Mmmm ok.....

traderumor
12-18-2007, 01:28 PM

And somehow he'll be worse for the University in the long run than John Cooper was at OSU.

Mmmm ok.....Are you referring to my John Cooper reference? If so, all that I was saying is that he might perform similar to Cooper in The Game. That is a good thing for this Buckeye.

bucksfan2
12-18-2007, 01:39 PM

Mmmm ok.....

Actually Tressel was not that obscure of a coach. I read Then Tress Said To Troy a few weeks ago and it went a little indepth about Tressel. He actually was a top candidate for the Florida job before Zook got it. Tressel was content coaching at a smaller university for his entire career similar to his father. When the OSU job opened up he decided that if there were a time to pursue a larger job that would have been the time. He called Archie to tell him he had interest and Archie told him that he was already being considered. So Tressel may have been obscure to the fans but he definatly was not obscure in the coaching world.

pedro
12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
All I can say is I'm going to laugh my head off if OSU loses the NC game this year.

But we all know that's not possible. After all Jim Tressel is god.

Give it a rest folks. He's a good coach, having a good run, but stop acting like the next 30 years are now set in stone. It ain't that simple.

pedro
12-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Are you referring to my John Cooper reference? If so, all that I was saying is that he might perform similar to Cooper in The Game. That is a good thing for this Buckeye.

And he *might* kick OSU's butt.

That's why the play they play the games.

WMR
12-18-2007, 01:57 PM
And he *might* kick OSU's butt.

That's why the play they play the games.

I've never seen this board after Michigan beat OSU... It would be interesting, I'll bet. :D

pedro
12-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I've never seen this board after Michigan beat OSU... It would be interesting, I'll bet. :D

And to hear some folks tell it around here you never will.

Roy Tucker
12-18-2007, 02:04 PM

It was pretty quiet after last season's NC game.

KronoRed
12-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Actually Tressel was not that obscure of a coach. I read Then Tress Said To Troy a few weeks ago and it went a little indepth about Tressel. He actually was a top candidate for the Florida job before Zook got it.

I find that hard to believe, when Florida was searching for a coach it was Jan of 02, Tressel had already been on the job for over a year, also his name NEVER came up in any article or even gossip column at the time, it was Bob Stoops or bust, with Zook being the bust.

traderumor
12-18-2007, 02:13 PM
All I can say is I'm going to laugh my head off if OSU loses the NC game this year.

Give it a rest folks. He's a good coach, having a good run, but stop acting like the next 30 years are now set in stone. It ain't that simple.Where is that coming from? I haven't really seen anything resembling "Tressel is god" statements in this thread? :confused:

pedro
12-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Where is that coming from? I haven't really seen anything resembling "Tressel is god" statements in this thread? :confused:

That's b/c you're an OSU fan. It's not just this thread either. It's every time college football is discussed on this board. I understand that folks are happy with him, and they should be, he's a good coach. But contrary to the apparent beliefs of some fans on this board he didn't invent football and he can be out coached.

LoganBuck
12-18-2007, 02:37 PM
I find that hard to believe, when Florida was searching for a coach it was Jan of 02, Tressel had already been on the job for over a year, also his name NEVER came up in any article or even gossip column at the time, it was Bob Stoops or bust, with Zook being the bust.

It was the Miami of Florida job that he was talking about.

westofyou
12-18-2007, 02:38 PM

He would sweat with that vest on down there.

LoganBuck
12-18-2007, 02:43 PM
That's b/c you're an OSU fan. It's not just this thread either. It's every time college football is discussed on this board. I understand that folks are happy with him, and they should be, he's a good coach. But contrary to the apparent beliefs of some fans on this board he didn't invent football and he can be out coached.

Blasphemy! Heresy! Stone him!

So fans of an Ohio based professional baseball team, who are always so laid back and unbiased about said baseball team, can't be so laid back, sophisticated, and unbiased about their football team? Give it a rest. Ohio State fans can express their opinion, defend their team, and support their team. Just like any other schools fans can. It just happens that quite a few Ohio State fans post on this board. I would expect that on TigersZone they are pretty fair and unbiased about Michigan.

Heath
12-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Yep, Sweater Vest Nation almost was Green & Orange.

As an OSU backer, I think RichRod will be a good coach at UM. He can recruit, he runs a wide-open offense, he's ready to go. I wonder about his defense.

pedro
12-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Blasphemy! Heresy! Stone him!

So fans of an Ohio based professional baseball team, who are always so laid back and unbiased about said baseball team, can't be so laid back, sophisticated, and unbiased about their football team? Give it a rest. Ohio State fans can express their opinion, defend their team, and support their team. Just like any other schools fans can. It just happens that quite a few Ohio State fans post on this board. I would expect that on TigersZone they are pretty fair and unbiased about Michigan.

Just like I can express my opinion. And for the record it's not all OSU fans who act like this, just some who seem to think that they poop roses now that Tressel's in town.

jimbo
12-18-2007, 02:49 PM

Give it a rest folks. He's a good coach, having a good run, but stop acting like the next 30 years are now set in stone. It ain't that simple.

What's wrong with a little homerism by Buckeye fans? I think they've earned that right and it would be no different for fans of any program who has done what the Buckeyes have done since Tressel has arrived.

I'm an avid Buckeye fan and even though I do realize that the "next 30 years" aren't written in stone, Tressel has brought a model of consistancy to the Buckeye football program that is very hard to accomplish and there is no reason to believe that consitancy will not continue for as long as he coaches there.

And similarly, just as you will laugh you head off if the Buckeyes lose the NC game, I plan on doing the same, if the Buckeyes win, to all of the haters who have b!tched and moaned all season that they didn't belong.

pedro
12-18-2007, 02:52 PM
What's wrong with a little homerism by Buckeye fans? I think they've earned that right and it would be no different for fans of any program who has done what the Buckeyes have done since Tressel has arrived.

I'm an avid Buckeye fan and even though I do realize that the "next 30 years" aren't written in stone, Tressel has brought a model of consistancy to the Buckeye football program that is very hard to accomplish and there is no reason to believe that consitancy will not continue for as long as he coaches there.

And similarly, just as you will laugh you head off if the Buckeyes lose the NC game, I plan on doing the same, if the Buckeyes win, to all of the haters who have b!tched and moaned all season that they didn't belong.

Personally considering the choke job done by almost every other team in the race for the NC game, OSU does deserve to be there IMO. I just don't want them to win. Although I must say that I really don't care for LSU either.

traderumor
12-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Just like I can express my opinion. And for the record it's not all OSU fans who act like this, just some who seem to think that they poop roses now that Tressel's in town.If I could poop roses, it sure would save me a lot of money when I screw up at home.

westofyou
12-18-2007, 03:13 PM
If I could poop roses, it sure would save me a lot of money when I screw up at home.

Every Rose has a Thorn and every rectum would be torn....

RollyInRaleigh
12-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Ouch

traderumor
12-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Every Rose has a Thorn and every rectum would be torn--Axl Rose:D

BuckWoody
12-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Every Rose has a Thorn and every rectum would be torn....
WOY?
http://www.seattleweekly.com/music/blogs/reverb/bret%20michaels.jpg

:D

gonelong
12-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Just like I can express my opinion. And for the record it's not all OSU fans who act like this, just some who seem to think that they poop roses now that Tressel's in town.

No offense meant, but take it up with them and not OSU fans in general. :p:

I suspect a good portion of the Big10+1 ( and probably the country in general ) feels your pain.

I'd bet that man a Big10+1 fan is torn on wanting the Buckeyes to win or not. A win is good for Big10+1, but that comes with "Buckeye Pride". :)

A loss would be another knife to twist into a Buckeye fan's back, but would be awful for the Big10+1. I suspect many are hoping the Buckeyes lose in a squeeker.

GL

pedro
12-18-2007, 06:02 PM
No offense meant, but take it up with them and not OSU fans in general. :p:

GL

Nah. I'd rather treat you all as if you were one giant drunk guy wearing a red & gray sweat suit with gravy stains from Bob Evans on your shirt. ;)

gonelong
12-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Nah. I'd rather treat you all as if you were one giant drunk guy wearing a red & gray sweat suit with gravy stains from Bob Evans on your shirt. ;)

Zing! :D

GL

Virginia Beach Reds
12-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Buckeye fans are arrogant and obnoxious.

Just like the few of us Wolverines fans were when we were spanking the bucks in the 90's under Cooper's helm.

It's all cyclical. I believe the hiring of Rich Rod is the upturn of the parabola.

LoganBuck
12-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Buckeye fans are arrogant and obnoxious.

Just like the few of us Wolverines fans were when we were spanking the bucks in the 90's under Cooper's helm.

It's all cyclical. I believe the hiring of Rich Rod is the upturn of the parabola.

Michigan fans are insecure and pretentious.

Why do we have to have all the freaking wide sweeping labels?

pedro
12-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Michigan fans are insecure and pretentious.

Why do we have to have all the freaking wide sweeping labels?

we're not insecure ;)

BuckWoody
12-19-2007, 09:31 AM
I'll start feeling some empathy towards our Michigan brethren when Tressel gets to a record of 10-2-1 against them. In the likely event that he never attains that record.....well, I'll let you figure that one out. ;)

Pedro, that's a low blow man. Do you have any idea just how comfortable those sweat suits are and just how good Bob Evans gravy is? :D

Chip R
12-19-2007, 09:51 AM
By the way, here's Michigan's new logo

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8632/newmichlogouk5.gif

WVRed
12-19-2007, 09:53 AM

You missed it during college basketball season.;)

If you want a good laugh, check out this thread:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55811&highlight=Thad+Matta

traderumor
12-19-2007, 10:18 AM
I'll start feeling some empathy towards our Michigan brethren when Tressel gets to a record of 10-2-1 against them. In the likely event that he never attains that record.....well, I'll let you figure that one out. ;)

Pedro, that's a low blow man. Do you have any idea just how comfortable those sweat suits are and just how good Bob Evans gravy is? :DAre we talking sausage gravy, or just brown gravy like on a meatloaf dinner? Oh well, I probably have stains on both my scarlet and grey sweater vests. I also have "Made in China" stamped on my diploma. Anyone know what that means?

joshnky
12-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Rodriguez did turn WVU around but the turn around also was helped by Miami, VaTech, and BC all leaving the Big East. He also coached in a league where the talent level across the board wasn't as comparable to that of even the lowly Big 10.

You keep saying this and I totally disgree with you. Most years the Big Ten is better than the Big East but not this year according to everyone except Big Ten fans. But we've had this argument before so I'll leave it at that.

I'm a Buckeye fan and I'm rejoicing as well. I didn't see the postgame press conference, but I did see the deer in the headlights look during the game, especially as it became pretty evident that even the refs would be unable to steal a win. I said silently to myself at the time, "ah, I know that look, those are John Cooper eyes in a big game."

I don't understand this theory that Rodriguez can't coach the big game. Is this based soley on the Pitt game? I've seen this guy coach a lot of games the past few years and never thought that he bowed to the pressure of the big game. I'm not sure what happened this year in the USF and Pitt games but injuries certainly played a factor. He has won major bowl games each of the past two seasons against Georgia and Georgia Tech and has beaten his primary Big East rival, Louisville, 2 out of the last 3 years.

I think you can question whether he can win without Pat White and Steve Slaton (better offensive athletes than either OSU or UM have this year) but I don't think you can question his big game performance.

As an aside, I've always been an OSU fan, second only to UofL. However, the arrogance of OSU fans on this board and elsewhere, particularly toward the Big East has dampened my enthusiasm. I'll probably cheer for them against LSU but only because I despise the SEC more.

traderumor
12-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't understand this theory that Rodriguez can't coach the big game. Is this based soley on the Pitt game? I've seen this guy coach a lot of games the past few years and never thought that he bowed to the pressure of the big game. I'm not sure what happened this year in the USF and Pitt games but injuries certainly played a factor. He has won major bowl games each of the past two seasons against Georgia and Georgia Tech and has beaten his primary Big East rival, Louisville, 2 out of the last 3 years.

I think you can question whether he can win without Pat White and Steve Slaton (better offensive athletes than either OSU or UM have this year) but I don't think you can question his big game performance.

As an aside, I've always been an OSU fan, second only to UofL. However, the arrogance of OSU fans on this board and elsewhere, particularly toward the Big East has dampened my enthusiasm. I'll probably cheer for them against LSU but only because I despise the SEC more.
First, there is no theory, it is a good ole observation. UM may beat tOSU the next five years for all I know. So no need for a lengthy apologetic for Rich.

As for arrogance, this board says the same thing about Cardinals fans, Braves fans, Red Sox fans, Yankees fans, Patriots fans, etc., whereby it seems that fans of successful programs who say something about their team are branded as "arrogant." Conversely, I am a Bengals fan and seldom, if ever, have been accused of being arrogant when discussing the Bengals. In other words, the perception of fan "arrogance" seem to be a function of how successful the team has been lately and how big a chip fans of other programs have on their shoulder (how's that for turning the tables ;).)

jimbo
12-19-2007, 01:38 PM
However, the arrogance of OSU fans on this board and elsewhere, particularly toward the Big East has dampened my enthusiasm.

I always laugh at the "arrogance" criticism that is always thrown towards OSU fans. You read college football boards and thats all you read about, how "arrogant" Buckeye fans are. The reality is that all fans are "arrogant" when it comes to their favorite team, especially when they are consistant winners. If me pointing out that the Buckeyes have been consistant winners is being "arrogant," then so be it.

Part of that perceived "arrogance" may also come from the fact that Buckeye fans have had to constantly defend their team this season from the constant barrage of bashing they get from the media and fans of other teams. Go to any college football board and you will see Buckeye bashing becoming a national past time.

joshnky
12-19-2007, 02:32 PM
I always laugh at the "arrogance" criticism that is always thrown towards OSU fans. You read college football boards and thats all you read about, how "arrogant" Buckeye fans are. The reality is that all fans are "arrogant" when it comes to their favorite team, especially when they are consistant winners. If me pointing out that the Buckeyes have been consistant winners is being "arrogant," then so be it.

Part of that perceived "arrogance" may also come from the fact that Buckeye fans have had to constantly defend their team this season from the constant barrage of bashing they get from the media and fans of other teams. Go to any college football board and you will see Buckeye bashing becoming a national past time.

As a Buckeye fan, I agree with you that they're a great team and I don't have a problem with people defending that assertion. However, the consistent bashing of the Big East and West Virginia in this thread is what irritates me. The past two years the Big East has been similarly talented to the Big Ten and many people would say it has been better. I don't say that to diminish the success of Ohio St but to respond to the bashing of the Big East teams that certain Buckeye's fans on this board love to do.

jimbo
12-19-2007, 02:46 PM
However, the consistent bashing of the Big East and West Virginia in this thread is what irritates me.

And I see just as much bashing of the Big 10 and tOSU from WV and Big East fans. I've heard WV fans say that the Buckeyes aren't even the best team in Ohio. I'm not really referring to this board though, mostly from other college football boards. It goes both ways.

As far as the Big East and Big 10 and who is better argument, it's debatable because there is plenty of argument to support both sides. You say everyone except Big 10 fans think that the Big East is better overall this season. I very much disagree. But that's an argument I really don't want to get into because I think it's pointless.

Perceived arrogance comes from winning. Patriots fans are arrogant, Red Sox fans are arrogant, SEC fans are arrogant, USC fans are arrogant, etc. etc.

LoganBuck
12-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Ohio State fans are not arrogant, they are just better people than everyone else.

joshnky
12-19-2007, 03:06 PM
You say everyone except Big 10 fans think that the Big East is better overall this season.

In my opinion, there is a big difference between "everyone" and "many" which is what I said if you'd read my post. I'd define "many" as 60-70&#37; which I think is an accurate assessment. Regardless, my original point was that several posts in this thread have bashed the Rodriguez hire because the Big Ten is a different level of football compared to the Big East. I disagree but I also realize that this is quickly becoming a pointless argument.

jimbo
12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
In my opinion, there is a big difference between "everyone" and "many" which is what I said if you'd read my post.

Most years the Big Ten is better than the Big East but not this year according to everyone except Big Ten fans.

Not to nitpick, but I did read your post.

joshnky
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Not to nitpick, but I did read your post.

Whoops. I thought you were referring to a different post and apparently I said different things at different times. I guess I got a little carried away with the hyperbole. ;)