PDA

View Full Version : WVU loses to Pitt

GoReds33
12-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Final score was 13 to 9. Terrible game coached by Rodriguez. He played way too conservativly in his own stadium. The refs were awful.

Here's a link to the boxscore:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=273350277

OesterPoster
12-02-2007, 12:41 AM
That had to be the most blatantly biased officiating crew I've ever seen.

DoogMinAmo
12-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Sucks for them and the Big East.

I wonder how this affects UC and South Florida's BCS rankings now? Does the Sun Bowl still take USF if it knows WVU lost to Pitt too?

LoganBuck
12-02-2007, 01:58 AM
That had to be the most blatantly biased officiating crew I've ever seen.

That National Championship chance meant a lot to the Big East. It showed in the officiating.

George Foster
12-02-2007, 02:07 AM
That National Championship chance meant a lot to the Big East. It showed in the officiating.

I agree there were some horrible calls at the end of the game. With that being said, as a 28 point favoriate....you lose at home to a 4-7 Pitt??? No excuses.

The Mizz/OU game was a toss up. Everybody had already penciled in West Va in the championship game....

Yachtzee
12-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I have to admit that, as a MAC fan, I have a soft spot for former MAC team Marshall, so I enjoy seeing WVU lose.

WVRed
12-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Living in West Virginia, I have to say I am on cloud nine right now.

A lot of the people from school and in the area here had already bought national championship tickets and booked hoted reservations in New Orleans. I made the comment that WVU would overlook Pitt and one person responded "Oh no, Coach Rodriguez will not let them overlook Pitt".

The BCS strikes again.

SandyD
12-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Now is not really the time for anyone to gloat over another's loss --- even a hated rival. That one had to hurt.

Roy Tucker
12-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Yeah, watching the post-game press conference, Coach Rodriguez was just absolutely devastated. He was gracious in crediting Pitt, but you could see it was just killing him.

As an OSU fan, I was hoping for one of Missouri and WVU to lose. But for my WVU fan friends in here, I feel for you guys. That was a hard game to lose.

And for those refs that threw the very late flags on those 2 phantom holding calls, I'd be looking for gambling ties to them.

Tommyjohn25
12-02-2007, 11:42 AM
And for those refs that threw the very late flags on those 2 phantom holding calls, I'd be looking for gambling ties to them.

No freaking doubt! Look, I could have not possibly cared less who won that game since i am not a college football fan (all NFL baby!) but I found myself watching that game and actually standing up and yelling at the TV due to those refs! Those holding calls were the worst I've ever seen, and this coming from someone who very, very rarely criticizes the refs. For me, it wasn't the "phantom" quality of the holds, it was the timing. It was almost as if they were waiting to see the complete outcome of the play......and THEN throw the flag if the play ended in Pitts favor.

MWM
12-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, if there ever was an example of refs blatantly expicitly trying to force an outcome, that was it. And I don't think it's an exaggeration to think that crew should be seriously investigated or at least seriously reprimanded or fired immediately.

Degenerate39
12-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I have a friend who should be put on suicide watch after WVU losing to Pitt. I think I might have to call him later to see if he's still alive.

RANDY IN INDY
12-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Now is not really the time for anyone to gloat over another's loss --- even a hated rival. That one had to hurt.

Sandy,

If you had ever had to put up with the obnoxious WVU fans that I have had to live with all my life, (some of them even family) and the way that a visiting Marshall fan is treated at their stadium, you would understand how much that I enjoy seeing them lose.:D

SandyD
12-02-2007, 03:10 PM
But that's not just any loss. Guess I was really saying "not a time to express pleasure" over their loss publically. Really just saying give them a day or two to get over it.

15fan
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Steve Slaton: 9 carries for 11 yards, and 1 reception for 9 yards.

Only 10 touches and 20 total yards for one of the top backs in college football, with a shot at a national championship on the line.

That's mind-boggling. Absolutely mind-boggling.

WVRed
12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
But that's not just any loss. Guess I was really saying "not a time to express pleasure" over their loss publically. Really just saying give them a day or two to get over it.

It's not even about the whole Marshall treatment for me.

People here have been already booking hotel reservations and ordering tickets for the National Championship game before the season is even over. That is what made WVU losing this game somewhat amusing is that they overlooked a team that is supposed to be their rival and that team ended their national title hopes.

One positive to this as 15 pointed out, I do think Steve Slaton will be back at WVU next year. If not for the fact to get a chance at the national championship next year, but for that I think his draft stock took a major hit last night.

RedsBaron
12-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I went to Marshall as an undergrad and I never attended WVU, but I was rooting for the Mountaineers last night anyway, as I wanted to a West Virginia team with a chance to win a 1-A (or whatever that division is now called) national title; Marshall captured two 1-AA national championships in the 1990s.
WVU played one of the most truly awful games that I have ever seen any team play. I haven't even contacted any of my friends who are rabid WVU fans, as there is nothing good to say.
Last week I received several e-mails from other West Virginia lawyers explaining that they would not be available for anything on Jan. 7-8 as they would be in New Orleans. I guess their calendar has now opened up.

will5979
12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
Undoubtably I feel like I have been cheated on, divorced, and taken to the cleaners...I know it is just a football game and there are greater disasters than this but I can only think of a few.

WVRed
12-03-2007, 12:31 AM
WVU will be playing Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

NJReds
12-03-2007, 02:22 PM
WVU will be playing Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

Should be an entertaining game.

Chip R
12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
I don't know if anyone else caught this but at the beginning of the game when they were introducing the offense and defense, now they are getting quasi-famous people who have ties to that school and they are having them introduce the players and talk a little smack. They had two MMA fighters and the guy who was introducing the WVU players was from the Virgin Islands or something and he had one of those thick Caribbean accents that made him sound ridiculous when introducing the WVU players.

Cyclone792
12-03-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't know if anyone else caught this but at the beginning of the game when they were introducing the offense and defense, now they are getting quasi-famous people who have ties to that school and they are having them introduce the players and talk a little smack. They had two MMA fighters and the guy who was introducing the WVU players was from the Virgin Islands or something and he had one of those thick Caribbean accents that made him sound ridiculous when introducing the WVU players.

That was just a promotion of their upcoming fight, nothing more. The two fighters were Matt Hughes and Georges St. Pierre, both welterweights, and they'll be fighting for the Interim Welterweight Title at UFC 79.

As far as I know, neither fighter has any ties whatsoever to either university. Hughes is from Hillsboro, Illinois and was a wrestler at Eastern Illinois University before getting into MMA. St. Pierre is from Quebec, Canada, and it wouldn't surprise me if he's never even been to West Virginia.

Homer Bailey
12-03-2007, 09:32 PM
As a lifelong West Virginia fan that travelled over 6 hours to every game but the UC game this year, this was the most crushing sporting loss of my entire life. I equally love the Reds and the Mountaineers. Its like if the Reds were up 3 games to 0 against the Pirates in the NLCS and didnt score a run the rest of the series. Seriously the weirdest game I have ever seen. I cried I was so disappointed. This was our one shot at the title and we absolutely blew it.

will5979
12-04-2007, 12:14 AM
This was our one shot at the title and we absolutely blew it.

Agreed, I won't be surpised if we get our clocked cleaned by Oklahoma, I just don't like this match up. I feel strongly for both teams as well...to me it was the most difficult WVU loss ever. I'm still depressed, this one will hurt me for years.

The most difficult Reds loss ever for me was to the Braves in the 95 NLCS, this one still hurts as well, I still hate the Braves to this very day so it was very satisfying for me to watch Cincy dominate the Braves this year.

WVPacman
12-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Im still mad over that game watching WVU choke like they did.They can't blame nobody but themselfs b/c they just had to win and that was it.I think its the worst lost in history for WVU and to all teams it had to be Pitt.They got what they deserved and Rodrieguz was a huge reason why we lost.He did not throw down field not one time and when a team does that then you won't run the ball no where.He got out coached by a terrible coach and the Mountaineers got out played by a sorry Pitt team.Thats why they call it the backyard brawl and anything can happen.We WVU fans did get something good from this lost!! We still have our couchs!!:D

will5979
12-05-2007, 08:09 AM
We WVU fans did get something good from this lost!! We still have our couchs!!:D

I was really looking forward to torching my old couch after we won the National Title...my wife was even more thrilled when she found out that it would be out of the house! Oh well, maybe next year.:rolleyes:

Chip R
12-05-2007, 10:31 AM
I was really looking forward to torching my old couch after we won the National Title...my wife was even more thrilled when she found out that it would be out of the house! Oh well, maybe next year.:rolleyes:

There's always the Fiesta Bowl. ;)