PDA

View Full Version : Wolfe signs with the Padres what does it mean

fewfirstchoice
12-02-2007, 01:09 AM
With Wolfe going to San Diego what does it mean for Clement.Does anyone think it may signal that He is going to sign with Cincy.I know he has been mentioned with the Reds this could only add fuel to the fire.If the deal is for a resonable price I would be OK with it.

hippie07
12-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Isn't Clement rumored w/ several teams .... ?

crazybob60
12-02-2007, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't mind giving Clement a shot. He was pretty much a wash last year with Boston...and some of Florida's arms from a few years ago are fairing pretty well (Beckett and Penny come to mind first) but for ever one of those two guys mentioned, there is always someone like Dempster (and of course a former Red). When all those guys played in Florida, I really did love that rotation. Just think if they could have kept that together.

fewfirstchoice
12-02-2007, 02:30 AM
Yeah sure he is,but isnt it fun to ponder on what may or may not happen.

hippie07
12-02-2007, 02:35 AM
Yeah, its fun and I wouldn't mind this signing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kriv had his sights set higher ... which makes me giddy :)

AmarilloRed
12-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Pirates inquire about Clement
Free agent coming off shoulder surgery
Sunday, November 25, 2007
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates are one of six teams to have contacted free-agent starter Matt Clement, a Butler native returning from shoulder surgery, but it is far from certain they will be a serious bidder.

Toronto, San Diego, Cleveland, Arizona and Colorado also have contacted Clement's agent, Barry Axelrod, with the Blue Jays apparently stressing Clement as a priority. All those teams will have higher payrolls than the Pirates in 2008.

It is likely that Clement will receive one-year offers, typical for pitchers fresh off surgery, and that he will not come close to his most recent salary of $6 million.

Clement, 33, last pitched in June 2006 for Boston. He had surgery to repair three tears in his right shoulder that September. It was not until two months ago that he retook the mound for simulated games and in the Florida Instructional League. Axelrod has assured teams Clement is ready to pitch immediately.

Clement's career mark is 87-86 with a 4.47 ERA with a career-best 13-6 record for Boston in 2005.

Pirates general manager Neal Huntington, unavailable for comment yesterday, reiterated earlier in the week that the team will not be active in free agency but left open the possibility of signing inexpensive players.

I don't see the Reds mentioned as having interest in Clement.

Prf15
12-02-2007, 10:52 AM
We also came out of nowhere really and signed Cordero. Krivisky just doesn't let things get out.

I(heart)Freel
12-02-2007, 11:02 AM
To me, this is exactly the kind of signing we should be looking at.

While I would love to think that a Freel/Hatteberg package would land us a starter to plug into the rotation, I am more realistic.

All the talk of packaging one of our blue chip prospects to get a great starter who is both costly and close to free agency doesn't make much sense to me. I want our talented youth here for the next several years so that we have payroll flexibility.

So go get a guy at the bottom of his value who wants to pitch well to get a long contract next time. A one year deal with a club option would be ideal. And Clement is exactly kind of guy who would do that. In this case, a phat incentive contract would be appropriate. If he pitches like a $6 million dollar pitcher, nothing wrong with paying him that. Just means he helped the club considerably.

A 1-2 year deal also gives the younger guys knocking on the door (Cueto, Maloney) a season or two to get ready for the playoff run.

:thumbup:

*BaseClogger*
12-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Colorado really wants Clement for some reason