View Full Version : Jose Guillen goes to the Royals

AmarilloRed
12-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Source: Royals, Guillen agree to preliminary 3-year, $36M deal

By Enrique Rojas
ESPNdeportes.com
(Archive)

Updated: December 4, 2007, 8:54 AM ET

NASHVILLE -- Outfielder Jose Guillen and the Kansas City Royals have reached a preliminary agreement for a three year, $36 million deal, a relative of the ballplayer told ESPNdeportes.com.

The agreement will be complete when Guillen passes a physical exam, scheduled for Tuesday.

Guillen, 31, hit .290 with 23 home runs and 99 RBIs in 153 games with the Seattle Mariners last season. He had an opportunity to become a free agent when the Mariners declined an option of $9 million for 2008.

In 11 seasons with eight different teams, Guillen hit .274 with 166 home runs and 673 RBIs.

The outfielder averaged 27 home runs and 88 RBIs between 2003 and 2005 but was limited the next two seasons by wrist and right elbow operations.

Last week, Guillen was questioned by the commissioner's office about his appearance on a list of baseball players who bought human growth hormone and steroids from a clinic in Florida, which is under federal investigation.

According to records from the Rejuvenation Center of Palm Beach, Guillen spent more than $19,000 for hormones and steroids between May 2002 and June 2005.

"We told the commissioner's office my version of this whole affair, which in some ways has been handled with some errors in the media," Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com last weekend.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

stevekun
12-04-2007, 12:11 PM
good for the Royals...gives them some help with power that they need

terminator
12-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Outfielder Jose Guillen and the Kansas City Royals have reached a preliminary agreement for a three year, $36 million deal

He had an opportunity to become a free agent when the Mariners declined an option of $9 million for 2008.

It looks like the Mariners should have exercised the option and sold/traded him to the Royals.

I'm surprised he could command $12MM per year for three years.

Moosie52
12-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Me, too.

AmarilloRed
12-04-2007, 02:33 PM
I was surprised as well. You would have thought after the suspension his price would have gone down, but obviously not.

Handofdeath
12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Power? One season with a SLG over .500 in his career. 1 season with over 30 homers and 1 season with over 100 RBI's. He is, as every Reds fan knows, a clubhouse cancer and his fingerprints are all over the steroids scandal. For this the Royals are going to pay that overrated malcontent 36 million over 3 years. As a Royals fan two words come to mind when I hear about them signing Jose Guillen. Eric Milton.

GoReds33
12-04-2007, 05:11 PM
I can't believe he got that kind of money. I gotta get back in the game. Even I could command the big bucks.

terminator
12-04-2007, 05:58 PM
As a Royals fan two words come to mind when I hear about them signing Jose Guillen. Eric Milton.
It makes me think of their Reggie Sanders signing. Similar career averages . . . although Guillen is younger. Even if he manages to stay healthy I agree this is an expensive contract . . . although, Year 1 of the Meche contract turned out to be a reasonable deal and I thought that was going to be a Milton-esque deal.

Vada Pinson Fan
12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Lot of money for a well-travelled outfielder. Shows just how crazy the market is today. Yes, Jose has a very nice bat, but the man can blow up at any time. Lot of money for the Royals to invest in an outfielder of his nature. I hope the signing works out well for KC. The deserve a break. Just like the Reds, its been a long time since they have done anything as far as making the playoffs.

Handofdeath
12-04-2007, 07:24 PM
On the Royals web site they are talking about the possibility of signing Andruw Jones as well. If they do that, the Guillen signing is a little more palatable to me. If they don't sign Jones the Royals better have a backup plan like dangling Greinke to the Reds for Dunn.