PDA

View Full Version : Reds going for David Wells

NorrisHopper30
12-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Mariners, Reds Like David Wells

A couple of clubs have their eye on 44 year-old southpaw David Wells: the Mariners and Reds. Hey, for a few million bucks why not.

The Ms would represent Boomer's ninth organization. Signing him surely wouldn't preclude them from acquiring another, more reliable starter.

He did have a brief stint with the Reds in 1995, making 11 starts for them before being sent to Detroit in a deadline deal. I read Wells' book several years ago, but can't remember exactly how his "tortured dealings" with Marge Schott played out

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-spbase055488346dec05,0,6452448.story
Bottom of that article

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Thoughts? :thumbdown

Redus
12-05-2007, 11:17 AM
ugh no thanks

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I think as a fifth starter maybe

ChatterRed
12-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Hmmmm.........well looking at Yahoo's stats on him last season, finishing out the season for the Dodgers against the likes of Colorado, San Diego, the Mets, Giants, and Arizona, he did allow 3 or less runs in 5 of his last 7 outings, going 4-3 in those outings.

But the dude is 2 years older than me.

roby
12-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Hmmmm.........well looking at Yahoo's stats on him last season, finishing out the season for the Dodgers against the likes of Colorado, San Diego, the Mets, Giants, and Arizona, he did allow 3 or less runs in 5 of his last 7 outings, going 4-3 in those outings.

But the dude is 2 years older than me.

I read that the Reds are talking to Brett Tomko, Jim Brower, and now David Wells. Hopefully they are trying to get these guys to come back for an old-timers game or something...and that they are NOT considering them for the regular season. :thumbdown

RadioWink
12-05-2007, 11:42 AM
I think that this is WK lining up options for a #5 starter, should a major trade happen that includes Bailey or Cueto.

kyjobu
12-05-2007, 12:51 PM
That's probably what's going on.
However, I hope he is also lining up options in case a major trade DOESN'T happen. We need another starter and backup in case Bailey/Belisle falter..

I'm thinking along the lines of Jason Jennings, Matt Clement, Shawn Chacon, Jeff Weaver...etc

GoReds33
12-05-2007, 12:56 PM
What's wrong with having a predictable fifth starter. If he can be decent next season as a fifth starter, and possibly kick Belisle out of the rotation, I'm all for it.

terminator
12-05-2007, 01:45 PM
$3 million last season and he was released by the Padres.

I'd personally rather watch Cueto (and his youthful potential) pitch every fifth day rather than watch Wells (a known and declining quantity).

Reverend Doo-Rag
12-05-2007, 01:53 PM
If anyone out there has a stack of "Sports Illustrated" mags from 95, there's a full body pic of him in a Reds uni. It's amazing to compare this to the current pic of him in our minds.

SMcGavin
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
That's probably what's going on.
However, I hope he is also lining up options in case a major trade DOESN'T happen. We need another starter and backup in case Bailey/Belisle falter..

I'm thinking along the lines of Jason Jennings, Matt Clement, Shawn Chacon, Jeff Weaver...etc

Yea, agree totally. Wells is not very good but right now our rotation is Harang, Arroyo, Belisle, Bailey, and ?. Now is anyone willing to bet our season on both Belisle and Bailey being good all season? We need one more starter for the rotation, then another cheap guy for depth (think a Tomko type, since he has worked some in the BP in the past). I really don't think Cueto is going to start 2008 in Cincinnati.

Stephenk29
12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Maybe they assume Cueto is not ready and their looking for a one year pitcher. He wouldn't be all that horrible of a number 5. Definitely not my first choice either, but he could be sufficient.

Hey Meat
12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
If we were just getting him as a guy to hang out with and drink beer with, that would be OK. Not as our third starter, are you kidding me. He would not only push up our ERA, but also our average weight per player. No Way.

Stephenk29
12-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Did anyone else see that the Reds are interesting in Glendon Rusch's comeback? Now that would be the worst signing in about 10 years.

bounty37h
12-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Did anyone else see that the Reds are interesting in Glendon Rusch's comeback? Now that would be the worst signing in about 10 years.

Somebody has to throw BP...

Ahhhorsepoo
12-05-2007, 05:11 PM
thought we were signing eric milton for that.. ohh wait he got hurt.. thats right.. no more bp for him..

jmac
12-05-2007, 05:16 PM
When the winter meetings started we heard the A's were willing to deal Haren/Blanton and yet I havent heard Blanton's name mentioned since.
Is anyone inquiring about this guy ?
I also would be more interested in aquiring Lee than the Wells/Tomko types.
In a totally different direction, Sabathia is a free agent I read after this year but nothing mentioned of him. Cleveland must think they can re-sign him.

bounty37h
12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Word is that CC wants to resign and feels good about getting it worked out with Cleveland to do so. I had the same thoughts as you till I read that.

roby
12-05-2007, 11:45 PM
It's getting kind of sad. Everyone started out talking about getting Bedard, Linecum, Cain, Burnett, Harden, etc. and now we're down to David Wells, Brett Tomko, and Jim Brower. What happened? :confused:

jmac
12-06-2007, 12:59 AM
It's getting kind of sad. Everyone started out talking about getting Bedard, Linecum, Cain, Burnett, Harden, etc. and now we're down to David Wells, Brett Tomko, and Jim Brower. What happened? :confused:

Remember it isnt a case of everyone else making trades and Cincy isnt.Santana, Bedard, Haren, Linecum etc are still with their teams at the moment.