Krawhitham
12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

redsfanfalcon
12-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Can't say I totally understand this.

rotnoid
hmmm... How long til the other shoe drops?

CarolinaRedleg
Clearing roster space for a big move perhaps?

rotnoid
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Big move or the Rule V.... I'm hoping for the former.

kbrake
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
This is really interesting. The guy wasnt making peanuts and I really thought he would be a decent RH bat off the bench. Something has to be in the works.

OldRed1966
12-05-2007, 02:42 PM
I would say roster spot, or the Reds found out that his name is going to be on the Mitchell report.

AdamDunn
12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I'll go Mitchell report.

We didn't need him anyways. We already have Hatte and Votto. Both of which are better options and cost the exact same.

kbrake
12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
or the Reds found out that his name is going to be on the Mitchell report.

Yeah that was the thought I just came up with. Either way this is a pretty interesting move.

HokieRed
12-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Calvin Medlock's Arizona League Line: SCO AFL 0 0 1.62 10 0 0 0 0 16.2 7 3 3 1 2 19 0.71 .127

Hard to give that up for a couple of months of Cantu. Looks like Wayne just throwing away value again.

Redus
12-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Geez. That was unexpected. Now what?

Ahhhorsepoo
12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
this sucks balls.. if we trade votto then a platoon of hatte and cantu was my only wish at first.. now.. its just hatte and dunn(maybe?) at first.. it had better be the mitchell report.. because otherwise this is a TERRIBLE move..

jmac
12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I'll go Mitchell report.

We didn't need him anyways. We already have Hatte and Votto. Both of which are better options and cost the exact same.
It's got to be something going on because Hatt/Votto are both LH and RH bats is what we are short of.

mlbfan30
12-05-2007, 02:54 PM
The entire point to get for him was to (I thought) split time with Votto against lefties.
Now it turns out they gave up a potentially decent RP for 60 at bats. Why even make the trade to begin with?
Why not just trade away Hatty and use Cantu to platoon.

I think this shows the foresight WK has. I never liked Cantu but you don't get a player just to dump him later. I'm sure he must have has at least some trade value.

mlbfan30
12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
If Coats can get a PTNL or cash, Cantu has to be at least that

hippie07
12-05-2007, 03:02 PM
wow, i really don't understand this, I guess there's a back story... no way this is a baseball decision... I kinda really like Cantu... I need the story..

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2007, 03:19 PM
This makes it a little harder to let EE go doesn't it?

Ahhhorsepoo
12-05-2007, 03:22 PM
jkepp is still here to play 3rd everday with freel being the backup player..

TN Red Fan
12-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Cantu never was a good prospect for a platoon. He doesn't hit lefties any better than righties and I doubt he'll hit them better than Hatteberg.

For me, if it was going to be a Hatte/Cantu platoon, you might as well just play Hatteberg every day.

Vada Pinson Fan
12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
That's all I can think of too- The Mitchell Report. Cantu has too much promise to just let him go like that. This is just plain strange. Hopefully Marty and Thom will have an explanation on the Hot Stove League tonight on WLW. A lefty-lefty platoon of Votto and Hatteberg doesn't make sense, either.
6pm Wednesday(s) on 700WLW-AM.

bounty37h
12-05-2007, 03:49 PM
I cant wait to hear more as well, although, when we picked him up, I was disspointed, as I have watched him play ball here in Durham, and was not very impressed overall, seemed like he loafed and whined a lot.

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Cantu never was a good prospect for a platoon. He doesn't hit lefties any better than righties and I doubt he'll hit them better than Hatteberg.

For me, if it was going to be a Hatte/Cantu platoon, you might as well just play Hatteberg every day.

Cantu may not hit lefties better than righties, but Hatteberg flat out can't hit lefties...

UPRedsFan
12-05-2007, 03:58 PM
My guess is Kepp will get at bats at 1B against tough lefties. Really, if you had your pick between Cantu and Kepp against LHP at 1B? I think we'd all put Kepp in the lineup anyway.

Would have been nice to flip Cantu for something, anything rather than release him.

Also means the bench will be: Freel, Kepp, Hatt, Valentin, and Hopper. No room for Cantu anyway.

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2007, 04:10 PM
My guess is Kepp will get at bats at 1B against tough lefties. Really, if you had your pick between Cantu and Kepp against LHP at 1B? I think we'd all put Kepp in the lineup anyway.

Would have been nice to flip Cantu for something, anything rather than release him.

Also means the bench will be: Freel, Kepp, Hatt, Valentin, and Hopper. No room for Cantu anyway.

Juan Castro?

12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
If Coats can get a PTNL or cash, Cantu has to be at least that

The fact that he wasn't means that there is something wrong with him that is making GM's afraid of him.
I say it's the Mitchell report. He did get a lot bigger and stronger in one year. If he is in the report, then he will definitely miss part of 2008 if not all of it.

Orenda
12-05-2007, 07:19 PM
The fact that he wasn't means that there is something wrong with him that is making GM's afraid of him.
I say it's the Mitchell report. He did get a lot bigger and stronger in one year. If he is in the report, then he will definitely miss part of 2008 if not all of it.

I don't understand the move it seems premature to me. Maybe Krivsky is trying to distance himself from another tainted acquisition.

Degenerate39
12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Don't like this move at all

AmarilloRed
12-05-2007, 09:46 PM
More on Cantu: Krivsky called the unexpected release of Cantu a "baseball decision" and nothing more. The Reds have lefty hitters Joey Votto and Scott Hatteberg, but Krivsky said the club could turn to utility man Jeff Keppinger as a right-handed option at that spot.

"We wanted to get down to 39 [players on the roster] to participate in the Rule 5 Draft [Thursday]," Krivsky said of the Cantu move. "We just felt like the situation we were in, he was the guy to come off."

Acquired in July from the Rays, Cantu batted .298 with one home run and nine RBIs in 27 games. Although arbitration eligible, he was expected to return next season.

It seems like Krivsky felt he was the 40th man, so a move was made to release him. The Reds plan on having space to make a Rule 5 pickup, and Cantu was the odd man out.

kbrake
12-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Seriously Juan Castro stays but Cantu goes?

mlbfan30
12-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Castro is one of best defensive players the Reds have ever had. His hands are gold!

Red in Atl
12-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Seriously Juan Castro stays but Cantu goes?

EXACTLY!:confused::confused::confused:

Although I'm not sure you can release a guy on the DL.

UK Reds Fan
12-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Even if Cantu was on Mitchell report...why release him? Is there a ruling that guys on Mitchell report will face penalties?

Geesh..Bonds, Giambi, Sheffield, etc.. have never sat a game due to their steroid connections, Gary Matthews and others have been conected with home deliveries...none have been suspended. Why would we assume Cantu will start that listing? If they took steroids, but are currently clean...who cares now and why would you throw a guy away?

We basically threw away a middle relief pitcher for 30 useless games and now no future of Cantu. Beyond stupid no matter what possible scenarios play out.

mlbfan30
12-05-2007, 10:01 PM
We basically threw away a middle relief pitcher for 30 useless games and now no future of Cantu. Beyond stupid no matter what possible scenarios play out.

That's what I said

12-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Even if Cantu was on Mitchell report...why release him? Is there a ruling that guys on Mitchell report will face penalties?

Geesh..Bonds, Giambi, Sheffield, etc.. have never sat a game due to their steroid connections, Gary Matthews and others have been conected with home deliveries...none have been suspended. Why would we assume Cantu will start that listing? If they took steroids, but are currently clean...who cares now and why would you throw a guy away?

Matthews is facing a suspension, which is one reason why the Angels singed Hunter. Gullien will get a suspension, and Annkiel and Byrd could as well, although they had an injury, so they might get off the hook. The others you mentioned will be suspended if there is proof that they took drugs.
MLB is waiting for the report to come out before issuing suspensions. But I assure you, anyone in that report who is tied to performance enhancing drugs will get suspended.
Everything is just speculation, but if Cantu is in the Mitchell Report, then there is a good chance he will be suspended for at least 50 days. Cantu is good, but not good enough to be on the payroll for around a third of the season and not on the active roster.

AmarilloRed
12-05-2007, 10:27 PM
# Anyhoo... something I think I may have overlooked in the Cantu deal earlier... Was looking in the postseason media guide at Cantu's page. Here's the accuired section: "From the Devil Ray, along with OF Shaun Cumberland and cash, in exchange for RHP Calvin Medlock, LHP Brian Shcakelford and future considerations, July 28, 2007." Aha. What I forgot about -- "future considerations". That could have been what was "too expensive" for the Reds to keep Cantu, not the dollars he'd receive in arbitration, but what they'd have to give up in "future considerations."

posted by ctrosecrans at 9:45 AM

BLEEDS
12-06-2007, 01:32 AM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2007/12/wrapping-up-day-iii.asp

Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Wrapping up Day III

It's looking like the Reds are going to leave here without adding a starting pitcher -- or at least a No. 2 or 3 starter type. Asked how it was going in his session with the scribes, Wayne Krivsky said:

"It's going."

That doesn't sound like a guy on the verge of landing Erik Bedard. You have to read shades of gray with Krivsky, but he seemed pretty confident and upbeat yesterday. Today, not so much.

The difference between getting Erik Bedard and a third-tier free agent is huge. Krivsky talked about bringing in "competition" for rotation spots. That smacks of Victor Santos and Kirk Saarloos.

Last-minute deals happen, and we're getting down to the last minute. The Rule 5 Draft is at 9 a.m. tomorrow. That's end of the meetings.

As for the Rule 5, the Reds have targeted "three or four" guys, they pick seventh, so they'll probably get one. That's why they released Jorge Cantu.

Speaking of the Rule 5: Look for Carlos Guevara to go. He was 1-2 with a 2.32 ERA and 16 saves at Double-A Chattanooga last season. The Reds left him unprotected. Why? He's only 5-11, 25 years old and he's had some injuries.

Orenda
12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
So if I'm reading this right that means that Bobby Livingston, Ryan Hanigan, and Jerry Gil all were too valuable to outright, or they will contribute more towards winning than Jorge Cantu?

Orenda
12-06-2007, 09:00 AM
Now this frees up Krivsky to target a similiar player in a later deal, only to have us relize that the new player is much like Jorge Cantu. Is Brendan Harris available?

HokieRed
12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
No Brendan Harris like Calvin Medlock like Justin Germano was given away for nothing. Wayner just feels the need to help out other clubs from time to time. Harris went to the Twins in the Garza/Young deal.

rotnoid
12-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Apparently the move was made so we could pick up Sergio Valenzuela from the Braves in the Rule V draft. If he pitches anywhere close to as well as Fernando, I'm in.

Ahhhorsepoo
12-06-2007, 10:31 AM
his stats dont say he does...

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/V/Sergio-Valenzuela.shtml

Jack Burton
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
I don't get this move at all, what was the point of acquiring him in the first place? From what I remember he did quite well with the reddies once he came over.

AmarilloRed
12-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Who's on third for Marlins?

The Marlins, after dealing third baseman Miguel Cabrera to Detroit, are looking for a new third baseman and have contacted the Phillies regarding Wes Helms, who played for Florida in 2006, hitting .329 with 10 homers. The Marlins are also considering free agent Jorge Cantu, who spent last season with Cincinnati.

Jorge Cantu might be a Marlin before long.

12-06-2007, 07:25 PM
What is surprising and revealing is that Cantu was released and not DFA'd. Clearly something is up or else they would have DFA'd him if he wasn't tainted goods.

AmarilloRed
12-11-2007, 01:12 AM
From Cantu

I got an email the other day from Jorge Cantu.

"A little bit surprised? Yes," he wrote. "I really liked the ball club a lot. I thanked them for the opportunity. Now it's time on to test free agency."

He said he had a long conversation with Wayne Krivsky.

"It was very professional," Cantu wrote. "(Krivsky) said it was a baseball decision."

It will be interesting to see how the whole Rule 5 Draft thing works out. The Reds didn't protect Carlos Guevara, who got snapped up. They released Cantu to make room for a pick. And they picked Sergio Valenzuela.

I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time comparing the stats of those three. Krivsky said the Rule 5 comes down to pure scouting. This is chance to see how the Reds are doing in that regard.

posted by John Fay at 2:34 PM

I think all of us should be watching the stats of Cantu, Guevara, and Valenzuela next year.