PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State Football Recruiting

MWM
12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
For all those who follow Buckeye recruiting, what are the chances that Terrelle Pryor lands in Columbus? Craig Haubert from ESPN said in chat today that he'd be surprised if Pryor winds up anywhere but Ohio State and that if he does, it would oput OSU potentially in the top 2 in overall class. But with Florida in the mix, you never know.

Considering OSU rarely gets consideration from elite QBs, this could be HUGE for the program to land the top QB in the country. I think Troy Smith's success probably had a big role in Pryor considering Ohio State.

It's nice to see they've done so well at retooling their offensive line. Plucking Brewster out of Orlando is a nice win for Tressel, as was getting Shugarts out of Texas. And keeping Mike Adams in Columbus was also very nice.

Pryor would round out the class quite nicely. Otherwise, it's still a very typical Tressel class - only a couple of 5 starts, but really loading up on the 4 star.

I've gotta think, though, if Pryor committs to Ohio State, Antonio Henton will likely transfer. I really have no idea if the coaches area s high onhim now as they were when he was recruited, but I've gotta think his arrest hasn't helped matters.

max venable
12-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Everything I'm hearing is just like you said...Pryor will be a Buckeye. He's buddies already with a couple of the new OL recruites. They text each other all the time. Like you said...you never know...but it's as close to a done deal as you can get from what I've heard and read.

Highlifeman21
12-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I guess Henton will have to find new places to troll for booty with only $19 in his pocket.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I guess Henton will have to find new places to troll for booty with only $19 in his pocket.

You mean a new place to be profiled and entrapped by an undercover cop?

Henton was arrested after a woman -- actually an undercover Columbus police officer -- along N. High Street waved to him. When he approached her, the officer asked him if he wanted sex.

Henton replied, "What?" Phillips said Henton was asking "what?" because he was confused. Police said he was questioning what type of sex acts he could buy.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2007/11/13/Hentonplea.ART_ART_11-13-07_B3_CE8F8F9.html?sid=101

A tape released by police showed Henton's arrest in the area of High Street and Sixth Avenue.

"You looking to party?" the undercover officer asked.

"Where are you partying?" Henton allegedly asked.

However, Henton's attorneys dispute what is on the tape and said their client was not in the area for sex.

"No sex act was mentioned by him," said attorney James Phillips. "No money was mentioned by him. The officer just came up to him and said, 'Do you want to blank,' and he said, 'What?"

Phillips said Henton only stopped his car because the woman waved at him.

"If a woman waves at you to stop you see if she's OK," he said. "He's been sitting on the sidelines now for six weeks - a penalty far in-excess of the penalties for most players for most things."

Head footbal coach Jim Tressel offered a statement through the university on Monday.

"After serving a seven-game suspension, Antonio is a member with full privileges of the Ohio State football team," Tressel said. "Antonio has handled the situation properly."

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=news&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200711/638089933.html

By the way, Pryor is a lock.

MWM
12-05-2007, 05:49 PM
You're wasting your time, BRL. None of that matters. But I hope this thread doesn't get hijacked.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Ok, back on topic.....

For 2009, the Buckeyes have already landed two stud recruits.

Jordan Whiting (KY) and Storm Klein (OH).

Other top Ohio recruits:

-Studlien (LB Big Walnut) will commit when offered.
-John Simon (DL Youngstown Mooney)...top 100 player will commit soon (offered).
-Chris Fields (WR Paynesville)...will commit when offered.
-Marcus Hall (OT Cleveland Glenville)...Glenville kid, so will commit (top 100 recruit).
-Darrell Mason (RB/DB Youngstown Ursuline)...big time player.

WVRed
12-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Another recruit that Ohio State is going after is Josh Jenkins out of Parkersburg High School, the number one guard prospect in the nation according to Scout.com. Urban Meyer and Jim Tressel were at the Super Six last weekend in Wheeling watching Jenkins play. He has a soft committment to WVU, but I think it will be between OSU and WVU.

Pryor reminds me a lot of Vince Young. Add him plus Jenkins, Wrighster, Adams, and Shugarts, and Ohio State has not only the best QB in the nation, but the best O-Line for years to come.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Jenkins will stick with WV, from what I've heard.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Add him plus Jenkins, Wrighster, Adams, and Shugarts, and Ohio State has not only the best QB in the nation, but the best O-Line for years to come.

Brewster is the other one. So far, Brewster, Shugarts, and Adams in the fold.

Buckeye33
12-05-2007, 07:05 PM
Pryor is as much as a lock as a Top 5 player in the country could be for OSU. Everything you read on any recruiting website pretty much admits that, even other teams message boards.

He will go into the Tim Tebow (freshman year) roll next year for OSU when it comes to short yardage and goal line carries.

WVRed
12-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Brewster is the other one. So far, Brewster, Shugarts, and Adams in the fold.

My bad, I meant Brewster.

I'm hoping Jenkins goes with Ohio State. While I think he will flourish in West Virginia's offense, I think if he wanted a shot at the NFL, he would at least get to learn pass protection at Ohio State. Come combine time, I think his stock will hurt if he goes to West Virginia.

WVRed
12-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Pryor is as much as a lock as a Top 5 player in the country could be for OSU. Everything you read on any recruiting website pretty much admits that, even other teams message boards.

He will go into the Tim Tebow (freshman year) roll next year for OSU when it comes to short yardage and goal line carries.

Not just that, but Pryor wants to play basketball as well. He can play on winning teams on both. Penn State cannot offer that.

MWM
12-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Not just that, but Pryor wants to play basketball as well. He can play on winning teams on both. Penn State cannot offer that.

But Florida can, and Florida was high on his list.

MWM
12-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Just chatted with another friend of mine who follows recruiting very closely and he claims that he's heard from reliable sources (this is now 4th hand information), that there's a really strong chance Jenkins winds up at OSU.

With the O-line they're putting together, if they can get a top tier RB out of next year's class (I'm not sold that Saine is the guy) to go along with Pryor, the 2009-2011 teams could be special.

Highlifeman21
12-05-2007, 08:21 PM
You mean a new place to be profiled and entrapped by an undercover cop?

Henton was arrested after a woman -- actually an undercover Columbus police officer -- along N. High Street waved to him. When he approached her, the officer asked him if he wanted sex.

Henton replied, "What?" Phillips said Henton was asking "what?" because he was confused. Police said he was questioning what type of sex acts he could buy.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2007/11/13/Hentonplea.ART_ART_11-13-07_B3_CE8F8F9.html?sid=101

A tape released by police showed Henton's arrest in the area of High Street and Sixth Avenue.

"You looking to party?" the undercover officer asked.

"Where are you partying?" Henton allegedly asked.

However, Henton's attorneys dispute what is on the tape and said their client was not in the area for sex.

"No sex act was mentioned by him," said attorney James Phillips. "No money was mentioned by him. The officer just came up to him and said, 'Do you want to blank,' and he said, 'What?"

Phillips said Henton only stopped his car because the woman waved at him.

"If a woman waves at you to stop you see if she's OK," he said. "He's been sitting on the sidelines now for six weeks - a penalty far in-excess of the penalties for most players for most things."

Head footbal coach Jim Tressel offered a statement through the university on Monday.

"After serving a seven-game suspension, Antonio is a member with full privileges of the Ohio State football team," Tressel said. "Antonio has handled the situation properly."

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for continuing coverage.

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=news&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200711/638089933.html

By the way, Pryor is a lock.

'Twas a joke.

Henton was in the wrong place at the wrong time, getting profiled by Columbus' finest.

It could have happened to anyone, but it just happened to be Henton at that moment.

I feel for the kid. He just made an honest mistake.

As for recruiting classes, should prove to be interesting if Notre Dame loses some of their recruits due to Chuckles the Clown's inability to win ballgames.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Devoe Torrence will probably not be in this class.

I'm not sold on Saine as well.

We need another Beanie in the pipeline.

Puffy
12-05-2007, 08:26 PM
As for recruiting classes, should prove to be interesting if Notre Dame loses some of their recruits due to Chuckles the Clown's inability to win ballgames.

Not only haven't they lost anyone but now three recruits that comminted elsewhere (Texas A&M and UCLA) have announced visits in january.

That is along with Trevor Robinson, OL who is attending the ND Football banquet this weekend along with 12 of ND's commits (which means there is a real strong chance he commits next week).

And Deion Walker, WR, who is going to announce before the Army Navy All-American game and I think he will commit. ND could not only not lose anyone, but add another 4 or 5 4-stars to the haul.

MWM
12-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Not only haven't they lost anyone but now three recruits that comminted elsewhere (Texas A&M and UCLA) have announced visits in january.

That is along with Trevor Robinson, OL who is attending the ND Football banquet this weekend along with 12 of ND's commits (which means there is a real strong chance he commits next week).

And Deion Walker, WR, who is going to announce before the Army Navy All-American game and I think he will commit. ND could not only not lose anyone, but add another 4 or 5 4-stars to the haul.

I spoke to my former boss a couple of weeks ago who's an alum and is now a big donor and he isn't worried one bit about Weis. He said that even Weis made jokes in his first year that he knew he was going to be in trouble in his third year.

Also, he says that from what he's heard, Weis has gone into recruiting visits and has been EXTREMELY honest about what's going on in the program. He's sharing information that normally isn't shared during the process and the recruits are totally buying into what he's saying. He thinks next year's team is going to be pretty good (about 8 wins), but the 2009 team could be a contender. This could be the best recruiting class ND has had in a decade, or even more.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-05-2007, 08:43 PM
'Twas a joke.

Henton was in the wrong place at the wrong time, getting profiled by Columbus' finest.

It could have happened to anyone, but it just happened to be Henton at that moment.

I feel for the kid. He just made an honest mistake.

Gotcha.

I agree he may be looking for a new home if Pryor comes to town.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Also, he says that from what he's heard, Weis has gone into recruiting visits and has been EXTREMELY honest about what's going on in the program. He's sharing information that normally isn't shared during the process and the recruits are totally buying into what he's saying. He thinks next year's team is going to be pretty good (about 8 wins), but the 2009 team could be a contender. This could be the best recruiting class ND has had in a decade, or even more.

Anyone ever heard of the recruiting story involving Willingham when he was ast ND?

Apparently, he would not leave this kid's house until he got the kid to verbal.

The kid never did verbal. Ty did eventually leave.

MWM
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Anyone ever heard of the recruiting story involving Willingham when he was ast ND?

Apparently, he would not leave this kid's house until he got the kid to verbal.

The kid never did verbal. Ty did eventually leave.

I've heard some doozies about Ty. From everything I've heard, he could be the worst recruiter of all time for a big time program.

WVRed
12-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Something I don't understand.

Why did Dayne Crist committ to Notre Dame with Jimmy Clausen in the mix. Unless Clausen gets injured or just flat out falls on his face, Crist won't start until his senior season more than likely.

The only major back left uncommitted is Darrell Scott, and Ohio State is not on his list. Oklahoma has a pretty good two headed monster at RB for the future in Justin Gilmer and Jerime Calhoun as well.

Highlifeman21
12-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Gotcha.

I agree he may be looking for a new home if Pryor comes to town.

Part of me struggles to believe the hype of blue chip prospects in any sport.

Justin Zwick was highly touted, and we know how that ended up.

Ohio State is easily in the Top 5 of biggest programs in the country, and I'm not sure Pryor (or any kid, for that matter) could immediately step in and handle the pressure.

Even Florida didn't give the keys of the program to Tebow as a freshman. They put him in situations to succeed, and accordingly, he'll most likely win the Heisman this year, as a Sophomore.

It would be different to see a highly touted QB go to tOSU and succeed.

To their credit, they've done one heck of a job getting the most out of that position since Craig Krenzel.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Just chatted with another friend of mine who follows recruiting very closely and he claims that he's heard from reliable sources (this is now 4th hand information), that there's a really strong chance Jenkins winds up at OSU.

I'm hearing just the opposite. Jenkins to WVU is nearly a done deal.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-06-2007, 01:09 AM

Ohio State is easily in the Top 5 of biggest programs in the country, and I'm not sure Pryor (or any kid, for that matter) could immediately step in and handle the pressure.

Even Florida didn't give the keys of the program to Tebow as a freshman. They put him in situations to succeed, and accordingly, he'll most likely win the Heisman this year, as a Sophomore.

To their credit, they've done one heck of a job getting the most out of that position since Craig Krenzel.

Although not necessarily "highly touted", Troy Smith was invited to the same Elite 11 QB camp that Zwick was invited to. Zwick had the talent. He just didn't have the heart. Pryor is the real deal and has more Troy Smith in him than Zwick.

The kid is a freak. Watch some film on him. He is the real deal and better than Tebow when he came out. Think a more polished Vince Young with better mechanics.

bucksfan2
12-06-2007, 10:19 AM

I agree with you about blue chip prospects. The job isn't only getting the blue chips to come to your school but also coaching them up. Most of OSU's better players over the past few years havn't been the 5 star recruit. Hawk was a 3 star while D'Andria was a future stud when he entered OSU. Zwick was the golden boy and Smith was a kick returner his frosh year. Laurianitis was a three star recruit along with Jenikins. Its not the stud recruits that you get, its the ability to coach up talent and turn talent into a good player.

Puffy
12-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Something I don't understand.

Why did Dayne Crist committ to Notre Dame with Jimmy Clausen in the mix. Unless Clausen gets injured or just flat out falls on his face, Crist won't start until his senior season more than likely.

The only major back left uncommitted is Darrell Scott, and Ohio State is not on his list. Oklahoma has a pretty good two headed monster at RB for the future in Justin Gilmer and Jerime Calhoun as well.

Crist is friends with Claussen and wants to work with Weis. He really believes his best shot to be a high caliber pro propspect is with Weis. Expect him to redshirt, which means if Claussen stays all 4 years then Crist will be a Junior eligibility wise when he gets job.

Puffy
12-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I agree with you about blue chip prospects. The job isn't only getting the blue chips to come to your school but also coaching them up. Most of OSU's better players over the past few years havn't been the 5 star recruit. Hawk was a 3 star while D'Andria was a future stud when he entered OSU. Zwick was the golden boy and Smith was a kick returner his frosh year. Laurianitis was a three star recruit along with Jenikins. Its not the stud recruits that you get, its the ability to coach up talent and turn talent into a good player

The Ron Zook problem. He can recruit em, just has problems coaching em up.

I think Illinois regresses next year just because of this - think 7-5.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I agree with you about blue chip prospects. The job isn't only getting the blue chips to come to your school but also coaching them up. Most of OSU's better players over the past few years havn't been the 5 star recruit. Hawk was a 3 star while D'Andria was a future stud when he entered OSU. Zwick was the golden boy and Smith was a kick returner his frosh year. Laurianitis was a three star recruit along with Jenikins. Its not the stud recruits that you get, its the ability to coach up talent and turn talent into a good player.

I agree with your point that JT does a great job evaluating talent based on his rating system and not some internet geek that's never seen the kid in person, however, AJ Hawk is always used as an example of a lower rated recruit that flew under the radar and I think that is slightly overblown.

Hawk was a 3-star simply because he missed most of his Sr. year in HS due to an injury. He had been rated higher before the injury and was one of our early offers of that year. He was never considered a reach by any of the Ohio recruiting guru's (Duane Long, Bill Kurelic). Even with his injury both Rivals and Scout had him as a top 30 LB nationally and back then Scout and Rivals gave fewer kids 4 and 5 star ratings. As the internet recruiting business has grown, the "experts" realized that they sold more subscriptions when they gave out more 4 and 5 star ratings as the amount has nearly doubled in each category over the last 5 or so years.

D'Andrea is a great example of not getting too excited about the hype of some kids, but he battled injuries his entire career and even "retired" because of them. I think Jim Laurinaitis, Malcolm Jenkins, and Brian Robiskie are great examples of JT's ability to see something where the experts don't. Those three all came out of the '05 class, along with two other potential lower rated studs Anderson Russell and Donald Washington. Never has there been a year where so many kids that flew under the radar have made such an impact. Another potential diamond in the rough could be Chimdi Chekwa from the 2006 class. We'll see how he handles taking over for Jenkins next year.

Higher rated disappointments would be: Jamario O'Neal ('05), Kyle Mitchum, Albert Dukes, and Devon Lyons ('04), Louis Irizarry, Darius Hiley, and Brandon Maupin ('03), Mike D'Andrea, Justin Zwick, and Derek Morris ('02), and Mo Hall and Lydell Ross ('01).

MasonBuzz3
12-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Ok, back on topic.....

For 2009, the Buckeyes have already landed two stud recruits.

Jordan Whiting (KY) and Storm Klein (OH).

Other top Ohio recruits:

-Studlien (LB Big Walnut) will commit when offered.
-John Simon (DL Youngstown Mooney)...top 100 player will commit soon (offered).
-Chris Fields (WR Paynesville)...will commit when offered.
-Marcus Hall (OT Cleveland Glenville)...Glenville kid, so will commit (top 100 recruit).
-Darrell Mason (RB/DB Youngstown Ursuline)...big time player.
I had a chance to see a few of these guys in the state title games last weekend. I'm not an OSU fan, but:
Storm Klein - Real deal, kid is a stud. hell of a RB, but I hear a LB at the next level. had a kidney injury in the state game.
Studlien - looks the part, minus the god awful jerseys his team wears. good size and closing speed. AJ Hawk-esque
Simon - Passed the looks test for sure. double teamed all night long. but has a good motor
Mason - didnt look great as a RB, was keyed on all day. had like 10 yards rushing. probably a S at the next level

Highlifeman21
12-07-2007, 11:38 AM
I agree with your point that JT does a great job evaluating talent based on his rating system and not some internet geek that's never seen the kid in person, however, AJ Hawk is always used as an example of a lower rated recruit that flew under the radar and I think that is slightly overblown.

Hawk was a 3-star simply because he missed most of his Sr. year in HS due to an injury. He had been rated higher before the injury and was one of our early offers of that year. He was never considered a reach by any of the Ohio recruiting guru's (Duane Long, Bill Kurelic). Even with his injury both Rivals and Scout had him as a top 30 LB nationally and back then Scout and Rivals gave fewer kids 4 and 5 star ratings. As the internet recruiting business has grown, the "experts" realized that they sold more subscriptions when they gave out more 4 and 5 star ratings as the amount has nearly doubled in each category over the last 5 or so years.

D'Andrea is a great example of not getting too excited about the hype of some kids, but he battled injuries his entire career and even "retired" because of them. I think Jim Laurinaitis, Malcolm Jenkins, and Brian Robiskie are great examples of JT's ability to see something where the experts don't. Those three all came out of the '05 class, along with two other potential lower rated studs Anderson Russell and Donald Washington. Never has there been a year where so many kids that flew under the radar have made such an impact. Another potential diamond in the rough could be Chimdi Chekwa from the 2006 class. We'll see how he handles taking over for Jenkins next year.

Higher rated disappointments would be: Jamario O'Neal ('05), Kyle Mitchum, Albert Dukes, and Devon Lyons ('04), Louis Irizarry, Darius Hiley, and Brandon Maupin ('03), Mike D'Andrea, Justin Zwick, and Derek Morris ('02), and Mo Hall and Lydell Ross ('01).

I think Ross just failed b/c he wasn't a between the tackles runner. He needed to bounce out and use his speed. I think he was more of a wrong back for the system at the time.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I think Ross just failed b/c he wasn't a between the tackles runner. He needed to bounce out and use his speed. I think he was more of a wrong back for the system at the time.

He also had incredibly bad balance. He seemed almost top heavy. He ran like he was on ice and it took nothing to take him down.

One of the worst backs I can ever remember suiting up for the Buckeyes.

Hate to say this, but he was soft as well.

MWM
12-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I was wrong on Ross as well. I really thought he was going to be a stud.

OnBaseMachine
12-08-2007, 05:58 PM
I was just reading a Terrelle Pryor update from yesterday and he mentioned that he doesn't really like OSU's style of offense. Here is his quote:

"That concerns me about Ohio State because they've never run an offense like the one we run at my high school or that they run at West Virginia, Florida, Oregon or other places. I'd like to see them run it first so I could believe they'll change it but I'm obviously not going to get to see that so it creates doubt.

Also, he has eliminated Texas and added Oregon to his favorites. He is now down to West Virginia, Oregon, Florida, and OSU with no leader at this point.

traderumor
12-08-2007, 08:42 PM
I was just reading a Terrelle Pryor update from yesterday and he mentioned that he doesn't really like OSU's style of offense. Here is his quote:

"That concerns me about Ohio State because they've never run an offense like the one we run at my high school or that they run at West Virginia, Florida, Oregon or other places. I'd like to see them run it first so I could believe they'll change it but I'm obviously not going to get to see that so it creates doubt.

Also, he has eliminated Texas and added Oregon to his favorites. He is now down to West Virginia, Oregon, Florida, and OSU with no leader at this point.If he is talking about the read option, that would be correct, but they also ran the spread most of last year with Smith back there.

LoganBuck
12-08-2007, 10:45 PM

Also, he has eliminated Texas and added Oregon to his favorites. He is now down to West Virginia, Oregon, Florida, and OSU with no leader at this point.

The word on this update from OSU sites, is that it is a subscription drive quote. Lots of people are going to pony up 9.95/month to find out where he goes. It creates buzz. He is rooming with Brewster all week, in San Antonio for the Army All American game.

MWM
12-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Anyone believe Rodriguez going to Michigan changes things with Pryor. I've been doing some reading online this evening and I think Michigan has to be the favorite to land him at this point. But it all depends on his criteria. Apparently, he was a big Troy Smith fan and likes how they ran the offense with him at QB.

Also, he's really close to a lot of the players already committed to OSU, especially the O-lineman. And it actually looks like OSU has a decent chance of landing Josh Jenkins. If they do, this will be the best O-line class in OSU's history. Hopefully that will factor into his decision as well.

There are some worries that if Pryor commits to Michigan, that could sway some of the others to follow suit. I'm not sure if that's really something to worry about or not.

But Rodriguez to Michigan could have some profound impacts on this year's recruiting class.

Buckeye33
12-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Anyone believe Rodriguez going to Michigan changes things with Pryor. I've been doing some reading online this evening and I think Michigan has to be the favorite to land him at this point. But it all depends on his criteria. Apparently, he was a big Troy Smith fan and likes how they ran the offense with him at QB.

Also, he's really close to a lot of the players already committed to OSU, especially the O-lineman. And it actually looks like OSU has a decent chance of landing Josh Jenkins. If they do, this will be the best O-line class in OSU's history. Hopefully that will factor into his decision as well.

There are some worries that if Pryor commits to Michigan, that could sway some of the others to follow suit. I'm not sure if that's really something to worry about or not.

But Rodriguez to Michigan could have some profound impacts on this year's recruiting class.

If Pryor ends up at UM, he'll be a junior before there is enough talent there to run Rodriguez's offense effectively. If he wants to play every down his freshman year, then UM is the place for him.

Everyone keeps saying that Pryor might not come to OSU because we don't run the spread offense, this is true only in the fact we do not run the read option spread offense. Hopefully Pryor realizes that Tressel will always and has always based what offense his teams run on the talent available.

'01 championship team ran, ran, ran, punted, played unreal D and won.

Every year Troy Smith played they ran the shot-Ginn, 4-5 wide offense because they had the talent to do it.

Tressel will allow Pryor to use his talents if he decides to come to OSU. I hope he does.

As far as him luring other recruits to UM, I don't see that happening as ALL the guys in the "Brew Crew" as they've been called committed to OSU very early and have since kept in Pryor's ear.

LoganBuck
12-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Keep in mind that Pryor is going to be the focus of the recruiting wars the next six weeks. He is going to be building his name recognition. He is going to say anything to anyone. People will be obsessing over what he eats for breakfast, or what shirt he wears. If you follow recruiting at all, just remember we are about to get into the misinformation stage, where the remaining five star recruits, turn the spotlight on themselves, and it gets really ugly.

With all that being said, I think he ends up in Columbus. The "Brew Crew" has been/will continue to be tight with him. A great quarterback, needs a great offensive line, he will have that in Columbus.

MWM
12-18-2007, 11:04 PM
Everyone keeps saying that Pryor might not come to OSU because we don't run the spread offense, this is true only in the fact we do not run the read option spread offense. Hopefully Pryor realizes that Tressel will always and has always based what offense his teams run on the talent available.

Supposedly he and Tressel and pretty close and Tressel has told him the offense they ran with Troy Smith is the one they'll run with him. If he doesn't wind up in Columbus, it won't be because he doesn't think they'll run an offense suited for him.

If he winds up in Ann Arbor, that means either one of two things.

1 - Ryan Mallet would almost certainly transfer. The guy was an absolute stud in high school and is not goig to sit back while the top recruit comes in to run a different system. Will Coach Rod be conent to run a freshman out there his first year in Ann Arbor? But will Mallet work in Rod's system? Both interesting questions. Coach Rodriguez has run a more pass style offense in the past at Tulane.

2 - He's got to beat out Mallet for the job. And if he doesn't do that his Freshman year, it will be really difficult to unseat him after that.

But with recruits, you just never know. Supposedly, he says even Oregon is high on his list. And he's still looking at Florida as well. Can you imagine an 18 year old kid being sold in Gainevill Florida in the winter with Tebow and Urban Meyer to show him around. That would be tough to turn down. But Florida has Cameron Newton from last year who is the heir apparent to Tebow. So he's got mass competition there. But who knows. Nothing would surprise me.

bucksfan2
12-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Supposedly he and Tressel and pretty close and Tressel has told him the offense they ran with Troy Smith is the one they'll run with him. If he doesn't wind up in Columbus, it won't be because he doesn't think they'll run an offense suited for him.

If he winds up in Ann Arbor, that means either one of two things.

1 - Ryan Mallet would almost certainly transfer. The guy was an absolute stud in high school and is not goig to sit back while the top recruit comes in to run a different system. Will Coach Rod be conent to run a freshman out there his first year in Ann Arbor? But will Mallet work in Rod's system? Both interesting questions. Coach Rodriguez has run a more pass style offense in the past at Tulane.

2 - He's got to beat out Mallet for the job. And if he doesn't do that his Freshman year, it will be really difficult to unseat him after that.

But with recruits, you just never know. Supposedly, he says even Oregon is high on his list. And he's still looking at Florida as well. Can you imagine an 18 year old kid being sold in Gainevill Florida in the winter with Tebow and Urban Meyer to show him around. That would be tough to turn down. But Florida has Cameron Newton from last year who is the heir apparent to Tebow. So he's got mass competition there. But who knows. Nothing would surprise me.

It would be a bad bad move for Rodriguez to run Mallet out of town in his first year at UM. Mallet was a huge recruit coming in last season and played ok for a frosh in his limited playing time this year. 18 year olds are very fickle kids and a move to run out a huge recruit probably wouldn't sit well with a lot of those kids.

I don't see him going to Florida. The reasoning behind that is I don't know if Tebow will be an NFL ready QB after next season. He is a very good college QB but I don't think his passing game fits the bill for the NFL yet nor do I think it will after next season. Pryer sure isn't going to take snaps away from Tebow.

Don't know much about Oregon's backup situation but I would assume that if Pryer did come to OSU he would get similar playing time to what Tebow did last season at Florida. I would assume that as a top notch QB you not only want to succeed as a college QB but you also want someone who is going to prepare you for a career in the NFL. As a strict option QB you odds of playing QB in the NFL are slim to none. If Pryer follows the same maturation process as Smith does then he may be the #1 overall pick in the draft. If he follows the same process as Pat White has then he is a huge question mark as to where he plays in the pros.

MWM
12-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Was reading some opinions online today and there are a couple of places that think Rodriguez to Michigan means Pryor will be in Ann Arbor. Rod's system was always his favorite, but he viewed WVU as a regional school. So Coach Rod + National school = Pryor is happy.

Not sure I buy it completely, but if I had to handicap it right now, I'd say he's in Ann Arbor next fall.

MasonBuzz3
12-19-2007, 11:20 PM
i don't think that it is a forgone conclusion that Mallet will be out in Ann Arbor. Mallet, while no Pat White, is not a stiff in the pocket. He does not have the escapability of a Pryor, but can tuck it and get some yards. RichRod was the Offensive Coordinator at Tulane when a Shaun King-led offense took the Green Wave to a perfect season. King, while mobile, was not a great running threat. A Mallet - Pryor combo would be pretty effective

Caseyfan21
12-20-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm not as sold on Pryor as most are. So far he's done nothing but scream for attention and guys like him continue to scream for attention in college; they don't suddenly change. Look at Beanie Wells, he committed to OSU with no fanfare his junior year and he was a nationally ranked top prospect like Pryor. He's come in and quietly done a great job, keeping his head down and working hard.

Meanwhile Pryor draws this episode out further and further and even contacted Scout to tell them he suddenly has an interest in UM. He just needs to shut his mouth and make a decision already.

Not to mention he wants to do football and basketball. What athlete has successfully done this for 4 yrs during college? Julius Peppers and Rickey Dudley both tried to do it and couldn't do it for 4 yrs. I think any time he spends with basketball would just take away time he could be using to improve his football game in the offseason.

Finally, he won't even be getting much playing time for OSU anytime next year. Boeckman should start and Henton has played his way back into favor. As I understand it, Henton has been practicing as the #2 leading up to the bowl game. I feel comfortable with Henton as our QB for the next few years, comfortable enough to not really care what Pryor decides to do. If OSU can get him then great and I'll certainly enjoy his contributions but if not no hard feelings - he certainly wouldn't break an already great recruiting class for next year.

max venable
12-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Great post Caseyfan21. Especially the observations about Pryor and his seemly "look-at-me" approach.

I've got a buddy from Pryor's hometown who tells me that Pyor is totally a "me first" guy. Sick talent but focused on the wrong things (can you say Clarett?).

MWM
12-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Josh Jenkins has withdrawn his verbal from WVU and now lists Ohio State as his #1.

http://www.wsaz.com/sports/headlines/12850577.html

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (AP) - Repeat Hunt Award winner Josh Jenkins has withdrawn his verbal commitment to West Virginia University.

But the player considered the state's best prep lineman says he could still decide to play football for the Mountaineers.

"It just depends on who they bring in as the new head coach and how he approaches me," the Parkersburg High senior said.

Right now, though, the 6-foot-5, 305-pound Jenkins says Ohio State is his No. 1 choice, though he hasn't ruled out either WVU or Florida. He's also talking with Pittsburgh and Penn State.

Rich Rodriguez resigned as WVU's coach earlier this month to take a job at the University of Michigan.

OnBaseMachine
12-29-2007, 07:02 PM
I saw Josh Jenkins play earlier this year and I was baffled as to why he is ranked as one of the best O-lineman in the nation. Maybe it was just a bad game, but he didn't impress me at all that night.

Chip R
12-29-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't watch as many tOSU games at you folks do but Smith really wasn't allowed to freelance much on offense till his junior year. When he was a senior he really was turned loose and had a great season. That's no knock on Tressel as he was probably trying to run a conservative offense and Smith was prone to mistakes as an underclassman. But if any kid comes in to tOSU and believes he's going to be allowed to play like Smith did when he was a senior, I think he's going to be very mistaken.

MWM
12-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Smith needed to develop. He made a lot of bonehead mistakes when he first became one of the starting QBs. Tressel is all about avoiding mistakes. Once Smith showed he was capable of running a more dynamic offense without making mistakes, the playbook was opened up. I'd suspect he's handle Pryor the same way. It's actually better for the development of the QB to be weened slowly and to be allowed to develop.

traderumor
12-29-2007, 08:22 PM
I saw Josh Jenkins play earlier this year and I was baffled as to why he is ranked as one of the best O-lineman in the nation. Maybe it was just a bad game, but he didn't impress me at all that night.What are your reasons for this conclusion?

CrackerJack
12-29-2007, 08:36 PM
I saw Josh Jenkins play earlier this year and I was baffled as to why he is ranked as one of the best O-lineman in the nation. Maybe it was just a bad game, but he didn't impress me at all that night.

Gotta figure a HS kid is going to benefit from college coaching and grow. But you wonder if a lot of his acclaim is based on his size, at his age.

Regardless I think you're happy to get a lineman of his pedigree anytime you can get one. Good o-lineman are invaluable IMO.

I shall shed no tears if OSU ends up with him, and think it would be a good choice for him, considering the circumstances at WVU.

OnBaseMachine
12-29-2007, 09:01 PM
What are your reasons for this conclusion?

He didn't stand out against an average AAA West Virginia HS team. I would expect a 4/5 star OL to dominate that type of competition and yet he failed to do so that night. Again, it was just one game. It could have been an off night.

LoganBuck
12-29-2007, 11:11 PM
He didn't stand out against an average AAA West Virginia HS team. I would expect a 4/5 star OL to dominate that type of competition and yet he failed to do so that night. Again, it was just one game. It could have been an off night.

Offensive Lineman are so hard to judge, they can go a whole night and you never notice them. Was he getting beat or just not "dominating"?

OnBaseMachine
12-30-2007, 01:02 AM
Didn't dominate. He just didn't stand out like you would expect a 4/5 star talent to do against weaker competition. Again it was just one game though.

Mario-Rijo
12-30-2007, 01:16 AM
Didn't dominate. He just didn't stand out like you would expect a 4/5 star talent to do against weaker competition. Again it was just one game though.

Perhaps the talent is there but it needs cultivating. BTW the '09 recruits are piling up now. Mooney, Mewhort and Homan in the past week have committed. :thumbup:

Cedric
12-30-2007, 04:51 AM
OL recruits are impossible to predict. It's the hardest position to evaluate by professionals(college coaches) and recruitniks. It's damn near impossible to predict which one's will hit and which one's won't.

Mario-Rijo
01-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Great post Caseyfan21. Especially the observations about Pryor and his seemly "look-at-me" approach.

I've got a buddy from Pryor's hometown who tells me that Pyor is totally a "me first" guy. Sick talent but focused on the wrong things (can you say Clarett?).

I concur! I watched a video interview of his awhile back and he comes off smug. It won't bother me at all to see him go elsewhere. However I do have Faith that if he doesn't put in the work and play the game Tressel wants him to that he won't be seeing the field. That's why I think he has yet to commit and probably won't, he kinda get's the vibe that he won't be able to overpower JT.

Rich R however I think will quickly jump on it and if so Mallet will likely transfer and the Job is all Pryor's to lose. If he comes to OSU he comes as a part of a very good class, if he goes to Michigan he is the man. Pryor want's to be the man so IMO he will be in Ann Arbor come 2-7-08. The Gators have a good shot as well, but I still think it's that school up north.

OnBaseMachine
01-02-2008, 11:12 PM
If I were Rich Rodriguez I would attempt to keep Mallett around and run the Texas Tech version of the spread with Mallett at QB.

Mario-Rijo
01-03-2008, 01:17 AM
If I were Rich Rodriguez I would attempt to keep Mallett around and run the Texas Tech version of the spread with Mallett at QB.

I could see that but what I think is that he will have to take one or the other. He will have to promise Pryor that they will run the WV version to get him to sign a LOI, and probably if and when Mallet finds out he will likely leave. I would imagine that Mallet has/is already being told that the offense will be tailored around him. So in fact both are being deceived, Mallet so he can be the back-up plan if Pryor chooses not to come. And Pryor so he will sign, and one of them will be P.O.ed.

FWIW it couldn't happen to a better bunch of guys! :D

sonny
01-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Word around San Antonio is that Terrelle is hanging out with the Brew Crew constantly and has been overheard saying he knows already where he's going.

This is from an "Insider" at Bucknuts.com's forums. Although I don't know how much stock to put into this poster, he's seemed to have garnered a lot of respect over there (including Buck football recruiting guru Bill Kuerlic).

Mario-Rijo
01-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Word around San Antonio is that Terrelle is hanging out with the Brew Crew constantly and has been overheard saying he knows already where he's going.

This is from an "Insider" at Bucknuts.com's forums. Although I don't know how much stock to put into this poster, he's seemed to have garnered a lot of respect over there (including Buck football recruiting guru Bill Kuerlic).

Is it BuckCrazy? If so he's been dead on accurate about alot of stuff over there.

sonny
01-03-2008, 02:12 AM
Is it BuckCrazy? If so he's been dead on accurate about alot of stuff over there.

I believe it was him. I don't go over there a whole bunch but that name certainly jumps out at me.

OesterPoster
01-03-2008, 11:40 AM
BuckCrazy doesn't post on the Insider Board, but the sources in San Antonio (Matt Natali and Gary Housteau) have confirmed that Pryor is hanging with the Brew Crew. You can read a diary on Scout's page by one of the East backs (Gray?), and even he mentioned that everyone there thinks Pryor is a Buckeye.

Supposedly DeVier Posey is tearing it up too and looks really good. It'll be awesome to see so many future Bucks on display this weekend.

WVRed
01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
IMO, if OSU gets Jenkins, they will get Pryor as well.

Getting Jenkins may be easier said than done though with Stewart taking over at WVU.

Puffy
01-03-2008, 12:36 PM
BuckCrazy doesn't post on the Insider Board, but the sources in San Antonio (Matt Natali and Gary Housteau) have confirmed that Pryor is hanging with the Brew Crew. You can read a diary on Scout's page by one of the East backs (Gray?), and even he mentioned that everyone there thinks Pryor is a Buckeye.

Supposedly DeVier Posey is tearing it up too and looks really good. It'll be awesome to see so many future Bucks on display this weekend.

Jonas Gray - he's a ND recruit who is writing a blog. He does talk about Pryor, but is on rivals - not scout.

I think you need a rivals account to read it, but here is the relevant part (this is from 12/30):

"This game will also be a great chance for Terrelle Pryor to showcase his talents. There have been some people that have second guessed him, but I know he'll show people he can play.

If I had to guess where Terrelle goes, I would say he ends up at Ohio State. I could still see him at Michigan, but he's going to watch the Ryan Mallett situation closely. I know Mallett is going to decide after the bowl game and if he decides to transfer, Terrelle Pryor is going to Michigan. I have a real good feel for that."

OesterPoster
01-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Jonas Gray - he's a ND recruit who is writing a blog. He does talk about Pryor, but is on rivals - not scout.

I think you need a rivals account to read it, but here is the relevant part:

"This game will also be a great chance for Terrelle Pryor to showcase his talents. There have been some people that have second guessed him, but I know he'll show people he can play.

If I had to guess where Terrelle goes, I would say he ends up at Ohio State. I could still see him at Michigan, but he's going to watch the Ryan Mallett situation closely. I know Mallett is going to decide after the bowl game and if he decides to transfer, Terrelle Pryor is going to Michigan. I have a real good feel for that."

That's a different blog entry than the one I saw previously. Some of the kids are really adept at playing games with recruiting nuts like myself.

Puffy
01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
This is from 12/1 diary:

"After the practice we were all just chilling and talking about some recruiting stuff. We all think Darrell Scott is going to go to Texas. It's either Texas or Colorado we think. He also likes Michigan, but sometimes when a team is a close third they usually don't go to them. We think Terrelle Pryor is already committed to Ohio State too."

BuckeyeRedleg
01-03-2008, 05:57 PM
I think BuckCrazy is Stoneburner's Mom.

Mario-Rijo
01-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I think BuckCrazy is Stoneburner's Mom.

Whoever it is they are very specifically close to one of the recruit's. I remember reading something along those lines that is was someone close to Stoneburner, I think it was speculated then that it was a girlfriend but either way it makes sense.

BuckeyeRedleg
01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
The latest rumor is that the #1 CB from in the nation, Patrick Johnson, decomitted from Miami and Pryor is working on him to join him at OSU.

Redleg39
01-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah, Pryor was quoted as saying if Pat Johnson goes to Ohio State, so will he.

sonny
01-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Pat Johnson will go to LSU. He will choose today At the AA game between LSU, Fla St, and Florida (i think).

The Toledo Blade has said they think Pryor will make a surprise announcement today during the game, but I doubt it.

MWM
01-05-2008, 02:22 PM
From what I've been reading, I think it's highly unlikely Mallet comes back to Michigan. I think he's transferring, most likely to UCLA. And that will make it awfully tough for Pryor to turn down going to Michigan. He's probably step right into the starters role. Even if his plan right now is to head to Columbus, Mallett transferring might be enough to make him seriously rethink it.

Puffy
01-05-2008, 05:48 PM
From what I've been reading, I think it's highly unlikely Mallet comes back to Michigan. I think he's transferring, most likely to UCLA. And that will make it awfully tough for Pryor to turn down going to Michigan. He's probably step right into the starters role. Even if his plan right now is to head to Columbus, Mallett transferring might be enough to make him seriously rethink it.

From what Pryor said today while being interviewed ("hopefully I can make a decision by the end of February") I would think his decision is still (1) very much up in the air and (2) very far away.

Mario-Rijo
01-05-2008, 10:55 PM
From what Pryor said today while being interviewed ("hopefully I can make a decision by the end of February") I would think his decision is still (1) very much up in the air and (2) very far away.

I gotta think he just mis-spoke, signing day is Feb 6th. I can't imagine he waits that long unless it's for sure Michigan.

MWM
01-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Looks like it's official that Mallet will transfer. Rodriguez announced it today.

I'd now be shocked if Pryor doesn't wind up in Ann Arbor. Last night's abysmal offensive performance couldn't have helped any.

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php?topic=78.new#new

University of Michigan football players Adrian Arrington, Mario Manningham and Ryan Mallett won't suit up for the Wolverines next season, according to new coach Rich Rodriguez who spoke to reporters briefly at halftime of the Michigan-Indiana men's basketball game Tuesday.

traderumor
01-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Looks like it's official that Mallet will transfer. Rodriguez announced it today.

I'd now be shocked if Pryor doesn't wind up in Ann Arbor. Last night's abysmal offensive performance couldn't have helped any.

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php?topic=78.new#newI would think an all-worlder who thinks as much of himself as Pryor appears to would consider it a great opportunity. He should see himself as the savior to an "abysmal offensive performance." BTW, outgained LSU, put up 24 points and a near miss in the endzone for another TD on Robiskie's drop, a 65 yard run, on a reported all-world D...huh?

Highlifeman21
01-09-2008, 02:21 PM

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/index.php?topic=78.new#new

Wow.

Mallet and Manningham are leaving? Definitely not a good start to the Rodriguez era in Ann Arbor.

LoganBuck
01-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I am of the mind that this isn't that bad for Ohio State chances. Pryor needs to play with somebody else on his own team. The cupboard is going to be bare in Michigan, their entire collection of Offensive talent is leaving. Arrington, Manningham, Hart, Long, Mallet, and Henne gone. Their talent level was down at the skill positions in terms of depth, and their recruiting classes have been suspect.

I am not worried yet....

Highlifeman21
01-09-2008, 04:01 PM
I am of the mind that this isn't that bad for Ohio State chances. Pryor needs to play with somebody else on his own team. The cupboard is going to be bare in Michigan, their entire collection of Offensive talent is leaving. Arrington, Manningham, Hart, Long, Mallet, and Henne gone. Their talent level was down at the skill positions in terms of depth, and their recruiting classes have been suspect.

I am not worried yet....

I would think offensive talent leaving, coupled with Rich Rodriguez at the helm would be a great thing for tOSU fans.

Mario-Rijo
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
I would think offensive talent leaving, coupled with Rich Rodriguez at the helm would be a great thing for tOSU fans.

Not really, the rivalry is huge for us. Michigan not being competitive is a bad thing for OSU. Add to that how the Big Ten is down in general and before long what you've got is a 1 team conference. Although I do think that Illinois and Wisky are still solid programs and MSU is on the rise.

MWM
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
If Michigan has a down year, I wouldn't expect it to be more than one year. Hirings like Rodriguez' at a school like Michigan always brings with it a lot of hype and intrigue. My guess is he's going to have top 5 recruiting classes wach of the next two years.

sonny
01-21-2008, 04:04 AM
Bucknuts' own insider recruiting fellow BuckCrazy! wrote this the other day.

BuckCrazy!
Frosh Posts: 85

Bet the Farm - 01-18-2008, 10:10 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrelle will be playing his college ball in Columbus! Along with JJ! TP will be making his annoucement on ESPN around noon.

...on signing day
http://forums.bucknuts.com/showthread.php?t=17842

MWM
01-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Bucknuts' own insider recruiting fellow BuckCrazy! wrote this the other day.

...on signing day
http://forums.bucknuts.com/showthread.php?t=17842

I understand that the guy who posted that is legit, but I just don't buy it this time. With all the games Pryor has played through this process, I won't believe anything that's said until it comes out of his mouth. It's also weird that this is posted the day before Pyror goes on his official visit to Ann Arbor. This makes no sense. And he's supposedly going to Baton Rouge to visit LSU on Feb. 1.

Caseyfan21
01-21-2008, 11:50 AM
I understand that the guy who posted that is legit, but I just don't buy it this time. With all the games Pryor has played through this process, I won't believe anything that's said until it comes out of his mouth. It's also weird that this is posted the day before Pyror goes on his official visit to Ann Arbor. This makes no sense. And he's supposedly going to Baton Rouge to visit LSU on Feb. 1.

I agree, I won't believe anything about Pryor's selection until I see him signing a paper on National Letter of Intent Day.

I still think he will end up at UM. He wants the attention and recognition too much not to go where he can be a first year starter and big man on campus. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

MWM
01-21-2008, 11:56 AM
I will say that I'm starting to somewhat agree with those who have been critical of Pryor and how he's handling the situation. He does seem to be milking this for every ounce of attention he can get. He's really setting himself up for high expectations wherever he lands. If he doesn't wind up being as good as billed, it could get ugly for him.

WVRed
01-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Saw something on ESPN earlier this weekend that Pryor has eliminated Ohio St and it will be between Michigan and Oregon.

He should take a page from Julio Jones.

LoganBuck
01-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Saw something on ESPN earlier this weekend that Pryor has eliminated Ohio St and it will be between Michigan and Oregon.

He should take a page from Julio Jones.

ESPN is out of the loop here.

Not worried yet.

Pryor is not milking the process, the parasites that are the recruiting services are bleeding him. Do you realize how much money is being spent by college football fans to gain insight into the college choice of a 18 year old kid? Give him his space. Between what I have read, and people I know, I expect him to wear Scarlet and Grey.

The bigger bombshell is that another of Ohio State's QBs is considering transferring. Herbie mentioned it on Friday, and there are leaks on the OSU websites about it.

guttle11
01-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm not worried about getting Pryor all that much. It would be nice, but he's not going to be the one difference maker for OSU. They have to figure out how to stop good, balanced offenses like LSU, USC, and Florida throw at you first.

Getting Jenkins may be bigger than Pryor for this team. Build a great o-line with the brew crew, a great running game like always, and a truly great defense and even a Boeckman equivalent two year from now could look like a great QB.

Caseyfan21
01-21-2008, 03:45 PM
After some of the rumors and decisions that have occured over the past couple weeks, I think it's starting to get important for the Bucks to land Pryor. Schoenoft transferring to Deleware St. was sort of shoulder shrug move with Boeckman and Henton in front of him at the time. But over the past couple days there have been rumors that Henton is thinking of transferring to somewhere closer to home. If Henton decides to transfer the Bucks are suddenly incredibly thin at QB after Boeckman. And if Pryor goes elsewhere the Bucks will go into the season without any solid backups at QB. Going into the offseason I thought QB was a strength for the Buckeyes but with RS gone to Del St, Henton possibly transferring, and Pryor still making up his mind, the Buckeyes could be one QB injury away from a disaster.

Heath
01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
If I am Antonio Henton, I'm thinking I'm starting about October. At Ohio State.

Caseyfan21
01-21-2008, 04:11 PM

No doubt, Antonio Henton is an explosive player that could probably mature into an exciting QB much like Troy Smith.
I think if Pryor commits to OSU then Henton is smart enough to be gone. He can see Pryor is similar to him yet more
highly hyped so he can see the writing on the wall. I also think the way Henton has been portrayed also has contributed
to his desire to leave. I mean, the guy was strung out by fans and the media for his arrest. No one bothered to listen
to his side of the story and I bet most OSU fans just think he's an ungrateful punk. I don't really know much about how
he's perceived in the locker room but the bad media attention has to eat a man up after awhile. I wouldn't be surprised
if he wanted to get back home where people loved him during his HS years. I hope he's strong enough to stick around and
earn people over much the way Troy Smith was able to bounce back though.

If Henton does decide to stay (which I hope), hopefully Tress and Co. can find a way to use him effectively. Why not
design a package of plays for him that can be used at any point in the game? Why not utilize his running ability by
setting up an option formation and a spread formation? I think if Tressel could better utilize Boeckman and Henton or
Pryor it could really throw some new potential into the offense. Tress's problem seems to be he gets caught up in using
one QB or the other for an entire series and won't switch them in on a play by play basis (see Smith and Zwick). If the Bucks can get that
uncertainty element into their offense it really makes it much harder for opposing coaches to plan for. How much time
do you think the OSU defense spent planning for Periloux of LSU even though he hardly played in the NC game? Just the
threat of another option can help an offense be more effective because the defense doesn't know who to gameplan for.

I think, in a perfect world, Henton decides to stay at OSU and Pryor also commits to OSU. And the coaching staff at OSU
finds a way to utilize both of them along with Boeckman. I really think Henton could be an explosive player in the slot
and out of the backfield in special formations. I think it would really help the offense get a little more creative if they set up packages
with Pryor at QB to utilize his speed and athleticism. And along the same lines if they could slide Henton into the
slot and possibly come up with some reverses and pass plays for him I think the offense could be downright scary. But
this is OSU who never really figures out how to best utilize some of the athlets (see Ted Ginn & Troy Smith) so I'm not
going to hold my breath. I'd count on Boeckman as the starter for every game next year and the OSU coaching staff
underutilizing Henton and/or Pryor if they are on the team.

WVRed
01-21-2008, 04:25 PM
ESPN is out of the loop here.

Not worried yet.

Pryor is not milking the process, the parasites that are the recruiting services are bleeding him. Do you realize how much money is being spent by college football fans to gain insight into the college choice of a 18 year old kid? Give him his space. Between what I have read, and people I know, I expect him to wear Scarlet and Grey.

The bigger bombshell is that another of Ohio State's QBs is considering transferring. Herbie mentioned it on Friday, and there are leaks on the OSU websites about it.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/index

Third video down.

redsfan30
01-21-2008, 05:33 PM
ESPN is by far the worst recruiting service out there. They are laughable. I swear they haven't heard of half of the top prospects in the country.

Pryor is a Buckeye. Period.

pedro
01-21-2008, 05:42 PM
ESPN is by far the worst recruiting service out there. They are laughable. I swear they haven't heard of half of the top prospects in the country.

Pryor is a Buckeye. Period.

If it was that simple it'd already be done.

WVRed
01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
If it was that simple it'd already be done.

Pryor was a lock for Ohio State before Coach Rod went to Michigan and Tressel tanked against LSU.

I don't see how Oregon plays in, but I would have to think Michigan is clearly the frontrunner.

pedro
01-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Pryor was a lock for Ohio State before Coach Rod went to Michigan and Tressel tanked against LSU.

I don't see how Oregon plays in, but I would have to think Michigan is clearly the frontrunner.

Oregon runs a spread offense and Dennis Dixon was the front runner for the heisman before he got hurt. I'm sure that's attractive to him.

redsfan30
01-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Is Michigan in the hunt? To a certain extent, yes. Pryor had connections to Rich Rodriguez at West Virginia. West Virginia was on the list, but was never considered a true front runner. Now all the sudden, Michigan lands Rodriguez and now they're the "clear favorite?" Not hardly.

I think the Rodriguez-Pryor connection is highly overblown.

Terrell Pryor has become VERY good friends with many of the members of the incoming Ohio State recruiting class. Word is (and I have some merit of inside information on this) that he and Michael Brewster have become nearly inseperable. I'm not sure how smart it'd be to be-friend those people just to turn around and go to Michigan.

Before this weekend, Terrell Pryor had been in the state of Michigan exactly zero times. Is that terribly important to this deal? Not really, but you'd think if he were seriously considering going to live in a state wear he had never stepped foot in, he would have his parents along side him. Not the case. Instead the sent a "family friend" in Charlie Batch. According to Michigan boards (and he was caught on camera at the basketball game), he seemed like he wanted to be pretty much anywhere but where he was Saturday night. He was constantly playing with his cell phone, texting alot. Speculation is (and it's just that, speculation) he was texting with Michael Brewster.

Had Michigan not shown up to the party until three-ish weeks ago, I might buy that they were seriously in the race for him. But three weeks of recruiting from a program on the decline is just not going to be enough to undue all the relationships and good-will he's forged in Columbus.

If Terrelle Pryor winds up anywhere but Ohio State, I will utterly floored.

LoganBuck
01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I find that ESPN information to be completely out in left field. We are talking Adam Dunn on a pop up during a 6pm start time game lost. All I can say is that they are going to end up looking like Tom Lemming did five years ago with Lorenzo Booker. Stunned silence.

redsfan30
01-21-2008, 11:10 PM
If I remember correctly, ESPN had Chris Wells rated somewhere in the 30's to 40's overall, and the fourth best running back in the class of 2006, where almost every other outlet had him as a top five player regardless of position.

ESPN is the LAST place people should go to get recruiting information.

guttle11
01-21-2008, 11:43 PM
From my amateur viewpoint, I think ESPN is the best of the services for basketball, and only slightly above a 12 year old's assessments on the football side.

*BaseClogger*
01-22-2008, 12:45 AM
If I remember correctly, ESPN had Chris Wells rated somewhere in the 30's to 40's overall, and the fourth best running back in the class of 2006, where almost every other outlet had him as a top five player regardless of position.

ESPN is the LAST place people should go to get recruiting information.

yes I remember criticizing ESPN for that in a thread on an tOSU board a couple years ago...

everybody had one thing to say: :deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

RedFanAlways1966
01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
http://ssbea.mercer.edu/recruiting.htm

A model developed by Mercer University economists that predicts where recruits will sign. So far the model has been 78% accurate for this year's recruits. Take it as you will, but I thought some might find it interesting.

Cedric
01-28-2008, 02:24 AM

They are not. Michael Brewster, his brother and other OSU recruits traveled to watch Pryor play basketball last night. All of them including Pryor spent the night at another Ohio State commits house, Andrew Sweat. I'm not a stalker, just reported on Buckeyes website :)

He's a Buckeye and has been recruiting other players for months. He just wants some spotlight and I don't blame him one bit.

Cedric
01-28-2008, 02:33 AM
Oregon runs a spread offense and Dennis Dixon was the front runner for the heisman before he got hurt. I'm sure that's attractive to him.

He cancelled his visit for tomorrow. According to Charlie Batch he isn't taking anymore official visits because of banquets and basketball. Pryor is best friends with Mike Brewster already and called both Etienne Sabino and Lamaar Thomas days before they committed to Ohio State. He's either going to Ohio State or he has a weird way of helping his future rival if he went to Michigan or Penn State. Now that Oregon is off the table I think it pretty much ends any speculation as to where Pryor goes. I'm biased but I'm also a realist. I seriously doubt that Josh Jenkins goes to Ohio State and most Ohio State fans feel otherwise. I also thought Ohio State was over hyped before the title games the last two years and sadly was right.

Cedric
01-28-2008, 02:36 AM

First off sorry for third straight post on this thread. I'd be more than shocked if Jim Tressel started anyone but Todd Boeckman next season. Coach Tressel has never had a problem in playing his elite freshman either. I think that Pryor will have a package of limited plays like Tim Tebow did the day he walks on campus for practice. Players with the natural athleticism that Pryor does will always find early playing time under Coach Tressel. He plays the best no matter how young someone is.

Caseyfan21
01-28-2008, 10:11 AM
They are not. Michael Brewster, his brother and other OSU recruits traveled to watch Pryor play basketball last night. All of them including Pryor spent the night at another Ohio State commits house, Andrew Sweat. I'm not a stalker, just reported on Buckeyes website :)

He's a Buckeye and has been recruiting other players for months. He just wants some spotlight and I don't blame him one bit.

Good to hear. As usual, I'm not going to get excited about TP's commitment just yet but hearing stuff like this always makes me happy. I think getting TP would be a huge first victory for JT against Rodriguez at UM.

As for the QB next year....I think you have to go with Boeckman. How many NC teams have been led by an unproven starting QB. Obviously there have been a few but more often than not a NC team is led by an upperclassman QB. Boeckman isn't flashy but other than a couple games he had a good first year and took care of the ball. I say the starting job is his to lose going into the season.

I do hope Henton and Pryor get a chance to get worked into the offense. Hopefully get them each a couple packages of plays and possibly use them in the slot to take advantage of their athelticism. This offense has the potential to be a lot of fun to watch as long as the offensive coordinator and Tress utilize all the the weapns.

WVRed
01-28-2008, 11:08 AM

For the record,

1.It's internet message board fodder. Depends on how well you trust the information reported I guess. Being a UK fan and spending a lot of time on UK message boards, the rumors of Billy Gillispie drinking and womanizing are all over the place. But depends on whether you want to believe it.

2.Friendship can be deceiving. Jai Lucas and Patrick Patterson became best friends during their recruitment and everybody thought they would go to the same school together. Lucas went to Florida and Patterson went to Kentucky.

Of course, there is Mike Conley and Greg Oden, but I think that one goes with the fact that they played in high school together.

If Pryor is "just looking for spotlight", he really is playing with fire. He is milking the entire recruiting process for what it is worth and he is billing himself up to having to live up to incredible hype. He is reminding me a lot of OJ Mayo in that regard.

WVRed
01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
He cancelled his visit for tomorrow. According to Charlie Batch he isn't taking anymore official visits because of banquets and basketball. Pryor is best friends with Mike Brewster already and called both Etienne Sabino and Lamaar Thomas days before they committed to Ohio State. He's either going to Ohio State or he has a weird way of helping his future rival if he went to Michigan or Penn State. Now that Oregon is off the table I think it pretty much ends any speculation as to where Pryor goes. I'm biased but I'm also a realist. I seriously doubt that Josh Jenkins goes to Ohio State and most Ohio State fans feel otherwise. I also thought Ohio State was over hyped before the title games the last two years and sadly was right.

I do have a story on Jenkins.

Somebody I know here knows Josh and said that he asked him where he was looking at and Josh told him WVU. Later on that night, he ran into him at the mall and he was wearing an Ohio State hoodie.

Just reporting what I have heard.:) I'm hoping he does go to Ohio State, because his biggest weakness is pass protection. If he ever wants to improve on that and have a better chance at a career in the NFL, he would get a better chance to improve at that area at Ohio State since all WVU does is run.

redsfan30
01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't think West Virginia is a player for Josh Jenkins. It's going to be a battle between Ohio State and Florida State.

I think in the end though, Ohio State wins out, but it could be worth watching.

WVRed
01-28-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't think West Virginia is a player for Josh Jenkins. It's going to be a battle between Ohio State and Florida State.

I think in the end though, Ohio State wins out, but it could be worth watching.

He is from West Virginia and really likes Bill Stewart.

I don't even see Florida St. being a major player.

Roy Tucker
01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I thought this was interesting...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/01/23/recruiting.economics/1.html

Economics of recruiting
A new way to predict where top prospects will end up
Posted: Wednesday January 23, 2008 11:35AM; Updated: Wednesday January 23, 2008 2:41PM

Jeannette, Pa., quarterback Terrelle Pryor will sign with Ohio State, Foley, Ala., receiver Julio Jones will choose Alabama and Ventura, Calif., running back Darrell Scott will pick Texas. This isn't my opinion, nor do I have any inside information.

It's economics.

Using equations that contain more Greek letters than your favorite school's fraternity row, three economists have devised a way to predict the college choices of top football prospects. In two recruiting seasons (2005 and 2007), the College Football Recruiting Prediction model developed by Mike DuMond, Allen Lynch and Jennifer Platania has correctly predicted the college choice of the members of the Rivals 100 with 72.5 percent accuracy. The economists, who were published last week in the Journal Of Sports Economics, plan to predict the destinations of the nation's top 250 recruits on their Web site later this month, but DuMond ran the numbers of the three previously mentioned recruits to offer a taste of what to expect. According to the model, there is a 40.2 percent chance Pryor will choose Ohio State, compared to a 37.9 percent chance he will choose Michigan.

In addition to predicting the future, the model provided empirical evidence that BCS schools enjoy a prohibitive advantage over their non-BCS brethren in recruiting top talent. It also disproved several long-held beliefs about recruiting. For example, recruits don't seem to care how many players a school puts in the NFL, they aren't as interested in early playing time as they claim and scholarship reductions actually increase the likelihood that a top recruit will pick a particular school.

So what possessed three highly educated professionals to devote countless hours of their spare time to predicting the whims of 17- and 18-year-old football players? The easy answer is they live in the South. The trio met in the early '90s as doctoral candidates at Florida State. DuMond and Lynch, both Floridians, love the Seminoles. Platania, meanwhile, roots for her home-state West Virginia Mountaineers. And even though they had scattered -- DuMond works for a Tallahassee, Fla., consulting firm, Lynch teaches economics at Mercer in Macon, Ga., and Platania teaches at Elon in North Carolina -- they still yearned in 2004 to understand why certain prospects chose certain schools.

"You read interviews with some of these recruits ... and they say 'I felt more comfortable there' or something really vague like that," DuMond said. "We were just trying to figure out if we could put any science behind that sort of decision.

So DuMond, Lynch and Platania scoured the archived data on Rivals.com for the recruiting classes of 2002-04. During an 18-month span, they devised a set of more than two dozen variables (official visits, distance from the player's home, school recruiting budgets, age of each school's stadium, etc.) and built a model. They devised equations that told them what mattered most when a recruit made his decision. After plenty of heavy thinking and trial and error, they developed a statistical formula they believed would accurately predict a recruit's college choice.

Using a computer program called SAS (Statistical Analysis Software), the trio fed the pertinent data for the 2005 Rivals 100 into the model. They ignored whether players had already committed, instead using each player's final set of schools to see if the model would spit out a correct prediction. The model went 71 for 100, and it correctly guessed the destinations of the six highest-ranked players (Derrick Williams, Jerrell Powe, Eugene Monroe, Fred Rouse, Callahan Bright and Mark Sanchez).

Early in 2006, the trio presented its findings at an economics conference in New York. There, the economists reported that even after controlling for success -- throw out the megapowers -- a recruit is still almost six percent more likely to pick a BCS school over an otherwise equal non-BCS school.

"If you are a BCS school ... you still get a little bit of an additional bump when it comes to trying to land the big players," Lynch said. "It's kind of the rich get richer is what we showed in the development of this model."

But as recruitniks, the trio considered some of the paper's other findings more fascinating. Not surprisingly, they discovered that distance from a player's hometown and whether the recruit made an official visit were the two most important factors, but distance is less of a factor depending on where the recruit lives. With help from geographer buddy Juan del Valle, who used geographic information system (GIS) software to determine straight-line distances between hometowns and campuses, the economists learned that recruits in the South and the Midwest are likely to stay close to home, while recruits in the West and the Northeast seemed more willing to leave the nest.

More surprising were the factors that didn't seem to affect a prospect's decision. "There were a couple of results that had us raising our eyebrows," Lynch said.

DuMond and Lynch each pointed to the roster depth variable. Recruits often mention early playing time as a contributing factor in their decision, but the model found that prospects are one percent more likely to choose a school that a year earlier signed one or more highly touted players at that recruit's position. That could explain how USC keeps signing running backs. Meanwhile, scholarship reductions didn't seem to bother recruits. The economists surmised that the players figured they'd have less competition for exposure and playing time. Also surprising, graduation rate and the number of players sent to the NFL in recent years had no measurable effect on recruit's choices.

So what do recruits want? According to the model, they usually will pick the BCS-conference school nearest their hometown that has the biggest on-campus stadium and won the most games last season. Not the past five seasons, mind you. "You can make the argument that recruits may be a little short-sighted," DuMond said.

DuMond and his partners, however, intend to take the long view. Lynch said there are plenty of college football fans in the economist community, and many have suggested ways to tweak the model to make it more accurate. The trio will keep working, Lynch said, but the complexities of the teenage psyche will keep them from reaching 100 percent accuracy.

"At the end of the day, they're just kids trying to figure out where they want to go play ball," Lynch said. "We'll be able to accurately forecast a bunch of them, but I don't think a day is going to come where we're going to accurately pick every one of these kids."

BuckeyeRed27
02-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Signing day tomorrow. Sounds like Pryor still might not commit tomorrow.

However the Buckeyes landed DE Keith Wells from Georgia yesterday and it sounds like they might land CB Brendan Harris from Florida.

If they pick up Harris and Pryor this is a seriously scary class.

sonny
02-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Pryor says he's 80-90% sure he's committing tommorrow.

*BaseClogger*
02-05-2008, 07:42 PM
What's the deal with Torrence?

sonny
02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
What's the deal with Torrence?

Schollie was pulled for reasons only known to the OSU staff and Torrence.

Caseyfan21
02-05-2008, 07:55 PM
If I had to guess I'd say Jenkins go to WVU cause his bro is a coach there now.

I really am not sure on Pryor. Everyone seems to have an inside source saying one thing or another. I'd say 60/40 in favor of OSU but if he's smart he'll go to UM where he can get immediate playing time in an offense built around him. If he wants the best shot to be an impact NFL player I think OSU's offense will force him to become a better passer and help him that way though.

Harris is another one you haven't heard much about. If pressed I'd say he leans toward Miami 60/40 but that's just pure speculation.

The other one with an offer still out there is Orhian Johnson, out of Florida. I'd guess 70/30 in favor of OSU on him.

Hopefully OSU can get commits from all 4 tomorrow though, definitely a great year to be a Buckeye during recruiting season as right now, even if we don't get them, we still have a solid top 10 class (possibly even top 5).

sonny
02-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Pryor- OSU
Johnson- OSU
Harris- OSU
Jenkins- WVA

Mark it down!

BuckeyeRed27
02-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Pryor- OSU
Johnson- OSU
Harris- OSU
Jenkins- WVA

Mark it down!

I would agree

Buckeye33
02-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Pryor- OSU
Johnson- OSU
Harris- OSU
Jenkins- WVA

Mark it down!

I certainly hope you are correct on the Harris prediction. He would be an absolute STEAL. That would be a huge get to go into Miami and take a stud DB right away from the Hurricanes.

sonny
02-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Perhaps you know me from my other name: BuckCrazy!

Just kidding, but word has it that Tressel has really impressed him and his Mother (which is a pretty big factor) The odds are 70-30 in OSU's favor.

But he is just 18 years old, he may decide on Otterbein on the last minute.

Kids.

Caseyfan21
02-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Perhaps you know me from my other name: BuckCrazy!

Just kidding, but word has it that Tressel has really impressed him and his Mother (which is a pretty big factor) The odds are 70-30 in OSU's favor.

But he is just 18 years old, he may decide on Otterbein on the last minute.

Kids.

It's rather humorous how they are hanging word for word on his every post. :laugh:

sonny
02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
It's rather humorous how they are hanging word for word on his every post. :laugh:

Much like Redszone hangs with everyone of my words.

...but not really.

guttle11
02-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I heard WVU hired Jenkins' brother as a grad assistant or something. Book him to WVU now.

IslandRed
02-05-2008, 09:25 PM
He is from West Virginia and really likes Bill Stewart.

I don't even see Florida St. being a major player.

FSU has stayed in it because of Rick Trickett. I know you know who he is, but for everyone else, Trickett was WVU's line coach when Jenkins originally committed to them.

Having said that, I'd still bet on WVU if there was any real sum of money involved.

LoganBuck
02-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Pryor: OSU
Jenkins: WVU
Johnson: OSU
Harris: ???? not sure on that one. No one is, truly a sleep on it, decision.

MasonBuzz3
02-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Schollie was pulled for reasons only known to the OSU staff and Torrence.

many in stark county know of the reasons his schollie was pulled...serious stuff for mr. torrence

LoganBuck
02-05-2008, 11:56 PM

Breaking News: Jenkins to WVU
http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/501866.html?nav=5061

Caseyfan21
02-05-2008, 11:57 PM
many in stark county know of the reasons his schollie was pulled...serious stuff for mr. torrence

If people want to know the reasons, just do a google search and forums full of speculation will come up. From what others have posted, it appears Torrence is in a world of trouble and I'm glad JT has pulled his offer. Hopefully he can straighten his life out.

Caseyfan21
02-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Breaking News: Jenkins to WVU
http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/501866.html?nav=5061

Not surprising in the least. I wish JJ well and hope we never have to face him while he's at WVU. You can never fault a guy for wanting to play at his state school, especially with his brother now helping out there.

If the Bucks can bring home Pryor and Harris, I will be thrilled.

Caseyfan21
02-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Posted on rivals.com in the free content area:

As of 10:08 p.m. ET, Rivals.com recruiting analyst Mike Farrell confirmed with Terrelle Pryor that he will not sign on National Signing Day. He's down to Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon and Penn State and still has plans for an official visit to Penn State.

I would have to think this doesn't benefit OSU if he's reconsidering Penn St. Losing him to PSU or UM would be a big blow.

LoganBuck
02-06-2008, 01:01 AM
This makes three times Farrell is reporting changes of Pryor's mind in the last 36 hours. We will all know soon enough.

WVPacman
02-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Not surprising in the least. I wish JJ well and hope we never have to face him while he's at WVU. You can never fault a guy for wanting to play at his state school, especially with his brother now helping out there.

If the Bucks can bring home Pryor and Harris, I will be thrilled.

Im not going to say nothing until I see his name written on the dotted line.As far as Pryor goes I can't help but laugh at Fraudriguez b/c he failed to land the guy that he wanted the most.Now he will have to face him IF Pryor does go to OSU.

Mario-Rijo
02-06-2008, 01:20 AM

Agree
Agree (obviously now)
Not Sure
Harris to the U (Miami of FL.) imo!

Caseyfan21
02-06-2008, 01:22 AM
More on Pryor not announcing tomorrow:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_551013.html

Not looking good at all...

MWM
02-06-2008, 01:33 AM
I've had a suspicion based on what I've been reading the last few days that he's seriously been considering Penn State. I think he'd love a reason to go there, but has never had one in the past. Personally, I don't think he could go wrong at either OSU or Michigan, or if he had decided on Oregon or any other number of schools. But PSU would be a big mistake, IMO. There's just no way he'd develop in that system with that coaching staff. Ultimately, I doubt he chooses there, but you never know.

sonny
02-06-2008, 03:44 AM
More on Pryor not announcing tomorrow:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_551013.html

Not looking good at all...

Why now? ESPN and other various media outlets are in hotels waiting to make the trip to your school to cover the press conference. Why reconsider a school that you have ALWAYS lived 2 hours from.

Heath
02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
I think Terrelle Pryor has a serious case of the "me's".

If he comes to OSU, great. If not, oh well. I think he's looking for the most groveling. If that's the case, he's headed to Michigan.

WVRed
02-06-2008, 10:28 AM
The local news station just interviewed Jenkins on committing to WVU. He was asked why he didn't commit to Ohio State and he replied that Ohio State had an offensive line called the "Brew Crew" coming in and recruiting everybody to play. He said he wanted to be his own player and not live under the "Brew Crew" moniker.

MWM
02-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I think Pryor is just legitimately conflicted. Some people have a hard time making these types of decisions because they're afraid they'll always wonder if the other place would have been better. It's not that uncommon. What is uncommon is the amount of attention he's gotten in the process. But what Pryor is doing isn't all that unusual. I wish people would give the guy some space. Instead, reporters are trying to get a scoop by talking to his friends and relatives. I wish they'd just shut their mouths as well.

It is an incredibly tough decision.

WebScorpion
02-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Yea, I feel for the kid too. Choosing the right college is a tough decision all on its own...I just can't imagine adding this media circus and pressure (real or perceived) to the mix. It's got to be tough for an 18-year old boy. I hope the decision he makes works out for him and I hope he doesn't waste a lot of time second guessing himself in the future. Myself, I'd try to anonymously go to the campus, (probably impossible at this point,) just wander around and get a 'feel' for the place. I'd trust the universe to give me a sign at some point. I think if he gets some peace and quiet and does a little soul searching, it'll come to him.

WMR
02-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Harris to Miami.

BuckeyeRed27
02-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Harris to Miami.

Good luck to him.
I think he'll end up being the best CB in this class.

Puffy
02-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Oregon now back in it according to Pryor.

I don't know where he ends up anymore - really no idea. But I think its funny how a lot of OSU fans stated things like "lock to OSU" and "he's going to OSU he's just milking it." Obviously the kid is torn and we know nothing - why can't we just say that, or use words like "strong lean"

Puffy
02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Sorry - here is the blurb from ESPN's recruiting blog (from his press conference today that he still half-heartedly held):

12:06 p.m.: Terrelle Pryor on ESPNU, "I will not make my commitment. ... I haven't that much time to concentrate on the recruiting process and need more time."

Pryor also said Oregon is back in the mix; he is choosing between Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Oregon. He has until April 1st to make his decision.

WMR
02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
He's taking a visit to Oregon. Oregon has some of the nicest facilities in the nation...

I saw his press conference... looks to me like the kid is doing the right thing.

It's the media who are to blame, not the kid.

pedro
02-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Michigan lands mobile QB
Posted: Wednesday February 06, 2008 06:22AM ET

Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez looks to have found the one thing that has alluded the Michigan football program for decades: a mobile quarterback. But his name isn't Terrelle Pryor. Justin Feagin, a three-star athlete from Delray Beach (FL) American Heritage School, plans to commit to the Wolverines on Wednesday, according to the Palm Beach Post.

traderumor
02-06-2008, 06:03 PM
He's taking a visit to Oregon. Oregon has some of the nicest facilities in the nation...

I saw his press conference... looks to me like the kid is doing the right thing.

It's the media who are to blame, not the kid.Oregon daddy's pick? If he is indeed all-world, I would much rather he would be out there than in our own conference.

Heath
02-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Michigan lands mobile QB
Posted: Wednesday February 06, 2008 06:22AM ET

Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez looks to have found the one thing that has alluded the Michigan football program for decades: a mobile quarterback. But his name isn't Terrelle Pryor. Justin Feagin, a three-star athlete from Delray Beach (FL) American Heritage School, plans to commit to the Wolverines on Wednesday, according to the Palm Beach Post.

..and Ohio State has Antonio Henton.

I think Pryor has a case of the heebee-jeebies, but I think he's still looking for that school to drool all over him.

Heath
02-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Sorry - here is the blurb from ESPN's recruiting blog (from his press conference today that he still half-heartedly held):

12:06 p.m.: Terrelle Pryor on ESPNU, "I will not make my commitment. ... I haven't that much time to concentrate on the recruiting process and need more time."

Pryor also said Oregon is back in the mix; he is choosing between Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan and Oregon. He has until April 1st to make his decision.

Talk to the national pundits, such as SI.com and ESPN.com that nationally brought out the story. It wasn't just Mr. Bucknuts and Bill Kurelic.

pedro
02-06-2008, 07:42 PM
If I was Pryor I'd go to Oregon.

I'm a Michigan fan but the west coast is awful nice.

OnBaseMachine
02-06-2008, 08:07 PM
If I was Pryor I'd go to Oregon.

I'm a Michigan fan but the west coast is awful nice.

I hope he stays out of the Pac-10, but I think Oregon would be the best fit for him. Oregon runs the best version of the spread offense I have seen. Chip Kelly, the Oregon OC, is an offensive genius.

WVRed
02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Oregon now back in it according to Pryor.

I don't know where he ends up anymore - really no idea. But I think its funny how a lot of OSU fans stated things like "lock to OSU" and "he's going to OSU he's just milking it." Obviously the kid is torn and we know nothing - why can't we just say that, or use words like "strong lean"

Either he is torn or is milking the process. I'm starting to think he is going to be a major headcase despite all the talent.(OJ Mayo says hello)

WMR
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Either he is torn or is milking the process. I'm starting to think he is going to be a major headcase despite all the talent.(OJ Mayo says hello)

I haven't gotten that impression at all.

He has had literally ZERO time to devote to the schools recruiting him with his hectic basketball schedule.

mole44
02-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Thad needs to give Pryor a ring and let him know that if he comes to tOSU, that he can play some basketball too if he wants.

*BaseClogger*
02-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Thad needs to give Pryor a ring and let him know that if he comes to tOSU, that he can play some basketball too if he wants.

The NCAA might have a problem with that! ;)

guttle11
02-07-2008, 02:03 AM
The NCAA might have a problem with that! ;)

Not really. He's still a basketball recruit until he signs the LOI. Just be careful of the wording, can't mention football specifically, I don't think. The fact that OSU has no basketball scholarship openings shouldn't change that.

I don't think basketball is in a silent period right now, so there would be no inherent violation.

*BaseClogger*
02-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Not really. He's still a basketball recruit until he signs the LOI. Just be careful of the wording, can't mention football specifically, I don't think. The fact that OSU has no basketball scholarship openings shouldn't change that.

I don't think basketball is in a silent period right now, so there would be no inherent violation.

check what I bolded and think more literally (diamond, gold, silver?)

WVRed
02-07-2008, 11:41 AM

I thought the same thing.

Cedric
02-08-2008, 06:20 AM
I heard on the radio that Pryor is still 99% sure he is going with his original choice. The host on a national radio show (not Columbus radio) said Pryor was basically forced by his dad to visit Penn State because his dad loves Coach Bradley at PSU. Daddy wouldn't sign the LOI since Terrelle is 17, that's even with him not being a legal guardian of Terrelle. Anything can happen when he visits in two weeks. I just can't imagine the relationships and comfort level he has with Ohio State would suddenly change because his dad who lives 200 miles from him is getting massive love from a PSU coach.

Never know with 17 year olds though :) In all honesty if I was a PSU fan I would want Pryor only if he truly changes his mind and makes the decision for himself. Pick the school and not the forced situation. Ryan Mallet at Michigan is a great example. He picked Michigan for Scott Loefler and the pro style offense and reportedly never felt comfortable at Michigan. These guys are so hyped they are thinking about the NFL over everything else at times.

Cedric
02-08-2008, 06:22 AM

What are you implying again? I'm confused.

*BaseClogger*
02-08-2008, 10:40 AM

What are you implying again? I'm confused.

Thad Matta giving Pryor a gold ring...

Cedric
02-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Thad Matta giving Pryor a gold ring...

Why would he need to? Ohio State has already paid him in the minds of PSU, Michigan, and Oregan fans anyway.

*BaseClogger*
02-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Why would he need to? Ohio State has already paid him in the minds of PSU, Michigan, and Oregan fans anyway.

That was just the first thing some of us noticed when reading that post...

Cedric
02-08-2008, 11:00 AM
That was just the first thing some of us noticed when reading that post...

I got it then and now. Just had to ask.

I myself can't wait to see Terrelle Pryor in certain situations this upcoming year. But on the basketball court? Couldn't care less.

Cedric
02-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I hope he stays out of the Pac-10, but I think Oregon would be the best fit for him. Oregon runs the best version of the spread offense I have seen. Chip Kelly, the Oregon OC, is an offensive genius.

Best fit for college. It's not really what athletes look at these days. Pryor wants a mix of pro style offense and some shotgun looks. He isn't going to get that in Oregon.

Unassisted
02-08-2008, 07:23 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7774424/Who-needs-Terrelle-Pryor

Who needs Terrelle Pryor?
By Pete Fiutak

Updated: February 8, 2008, 12:15 PM EST

If you're a sports fan, unless you've been stuck in some "drab" UCLA pysch ward, or have blown all your time and energy on trying to win the Florida Republican Primary, you've heard the name Terrelle Pryor.

No, he's not the guy who caught the ball on his head to help facilitate the biggest Super Bowl gag job of all-time. He's this year's greatest college football prospect in the history of the universe, able to single-handedly bring three national championships (before he turns pro, of course) and three Heismans, along with oodles of school spirit and warm fuzzies to make a bunch of rather goofy people very, very happy.

OK, fine, so I'm one of those silly people who really does care about where Pryor chooses to pursue his academic interests, and if you're even a slightly casual college football fan, you should, too.

High school phenoms are always hit or miss as far as living up to the hype, with some, like Vince Young, turning into a transcendent performer who can elevate a program to greatness, and others, like Ronald Curry, who turn out to be no big whoop.

Depending on who you listen to on a given day, Pryor is somewhere in between the two. That's saying something considering Curry, who famously ditched Virginia to play football and basketball for North Carolina from 1998 to 2001 with moderate success (while some dog lover named Vick, who was from the same area as Curry, lit up the college football world like a Christmas tree), was one of the greatest prospects of all time.

Yes, Pryor is that big a deal and he's expected to become one of the rare players who can change the college football landscape all by himself.

His measurables and high school resume are ridiculous. He's 6-foot-6, 225 pounds, runs a 4.4 40, ran for 1,901 yards 36 touchdowns and threw for 1,790 yards and 23 scores while leading Jeannette High in Pennsylvania to a 16-0 record and a state title, and he also played a little defense. Unlike Young when he first went to Texas, Pryor has a polished throwing arm to go along with his speed and quickness, and while he's a basketball star like Curry was, his millions will be coming on the gridiron, and he knows it.

Of course, when you're a big-time, next-level talent, to quote the great Billy Squier, everybody wants you, but it's been relatively clear from the start of the courtship of Mr. Pryor that the schools in the running have been kept to a relative minimum.

LSU got a chance to throw a pitch his way, but Pryor never had much interest in being a part of a Les Miles "damn good football team." Pryor's smart enough to have given thought to a place like Duke, where he would've focused mainly on basketball, but that never happened.

At this point, there are four schools in the running to get the signature: Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon and Penn State. And they're all holding their collective breath. While some services have other high school players rated higher, Pryor is the crown jewel of the 2008 recruiting season.

Pryor chose to take a step back, analyze his overall situation, and make his decision in a few days rather than pick a place to go on National Signing Day this past Wednesday. All that did was generate even more of a buzz, and now here's what's at stake for the four schools still fighting for the star.

Michigan

Need For TP Level: Red Alert.

Pryor is the absolute perfect fit for the Rich Rodriguez offense, and sort of like Rudy Guiliani in the Sunshine State, the new Wolverine head man is putting all his eggs in one basket. Michigan doesn't have a quarterback right now. No, that's not just being flippant; Michigan has no realistic starting quarterback option at the moment. Chad Henne graduated and Ryan Mallett, the star of last year's recruiting class, and a drop-back, pro-style bomber, left for Arkansas. Justin Feagin was recruited to be either a safety or a receiver, but he's also becoming the insurance policy at quarterback in case Pryor goes elsewhere.

It's not an overstatement to call this one signing the make-or-break moment for the first three years of the new Rodriquez era. He'll put together a successful offense in time, but Pryor makes Michigan dangerous from opening day.

Possibility Of Getting TP: 30 percent.

It makes sense, like Tim Tebow playing for Urban Meyer at Florida was the perfect marriage. For good and bad, the pressure on Pryor right away would be enormous. If you thought Jimmy Clausen had expectations in his first year at Notre Dame, that was nothing compared to the Pryor-mania that would hit Ann Arbor. If Pryor wants to be a signature star from Day 1, Michigan is the place.

Ohio State

Need For TP Level: Some, but the Buckeyes can survive just nicely without him.

Pryor is a bigger, faster Troy Smith with the idea being to turn him into an all-around NFL weapon. Unlike Michigan, where the knock on the Rich Rodriguez offense is its inability, at least lately, of making a quarterback next-level ready (although there wasn't a slew of NFL talent at quarterback in Morgantown), Pryor will have NFL receivers to throw to in an offense tailored around using all his talents. He'd throw more in Columbus than he would in Ann Arbor.

While he would be heralded as the next Troy Smith, and with some seeing the situation potentially like Vince Young in Austin, when he took an elite Texas team over the top, the pressure wouldn't be on right away. Current starter Todd Boeckman isn't going to lose his job this year, and while Pryor would likely get a few snaps here and there, he won't have to be the man. Ohio State is good enough to play for the national title no matter what, but having Pryor around would add a dangerous element.

Possibility Of Getting TP: 35 percent.

The situation is ready-made for Pryor to step in and succeed. He can get his feet wet, keep the pressure off, and ease his way into superstardom. Even though the Michigan offense suits his talents better in the short term, there's still work to be done around him. It'll take at least two years before Rodriguez has all his guys in place where he wants them, while Ohio State is already a national-title-level juggernaut that simply needs a final piece of the puzzle.

Oregon

Need For TP Level: Moderate.

There was a time in the late 1990s when Virginia Tech turned itself into a player by getting more of the NFL-caliber recruits. Few thought Michael Vick would turn into Michael Vick, but Kevin Jones was a huge coup when it came to helping the program become big-time. The same goes for Oregon now. It had some success in the past, but this has hardly been a consistent powerhouse. Instead, it's been known more for collapsing, like it did last year, the Oklahoma replay game fiasco, and for its goofy uniforms, than it has for doing anything big on the field.

However, the emergence of Dennis Dixon as the slam-dunk winner for the Heisman before tearing up his knee, and a big first 2/3 of 2007, has started to change that. If Pryor chooses Oregon, all of a sudden, Mike Bellotti's program, which came up with a whopper of a recruiting class anyway, can legitimately think about being a national-title contender on a consistent basis. If nothing else, recruit Darron Thomas out of Houston isn't bad for a backup plan.

Possibility Of Getting TP: 20 percent.

Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State are scared out of their socks at the thought of Pryor visiting Eugene. Once Oregon gets a player on the lot, the car is all but sold. Nike's Phil Knight has turned the Oregon facilities into the Shangri-La of college athletics with a juice bar and a waterfall just a few of the amenities in a setting more suited to the Sultan of Brunei than a bunch of teenagers who can run fast and lift things.

Penn State

Need For TP Level: Huge.

If you're looking for a succession plan in Happy Valley, this would be it. Florida State already knows Jimbo Fisher will take over when Bobby Bowden is through, and other schools, like Purdue and Kentucky, are doing the same. Now many are wondering what will happen when Joe Paterno finally decides he's done.

Getting Pryor would bridge the gap between eras and assure Penn State wouldn't dip even with the coaching uncertainty. Future recruits might not know who they'll be playing for when they end their careers, but they'll know they'll have a star under center.

The Nittany Lions are already starting to make a bit of a switch from the statue quarterback era of Anthony Morelli to the more mobile Darryl Clark, and had tremendous success once the light went on for the strong running Michael Robinson a few years ago. Having Pryor would take the program, and the offense, to another level with one of the nation's best receiving corps to work with from Day 1, to go along with a strong defense to take the pressure off the O.

Possibility Of Getting TP: 15 percent.

The pressure on Pryor to stay close to home has gotten more and more intense, and those close to the situation have said the longer the issue takes to be decided, the better the chance the Nittany Lions have. The problem is recent history. The program came up with a shocker a few years ago getting everyone's top receiver, Derrick Williams, and he's been nothing short of mediocre. While JoePa has played young players more and more, everyone knows how much experience is valued by the program. Pryor would buck a trend.

So where's Pryor going to go? Even he doesn't seem to have any real clue at the moment, and all four programs believe they have an equal shot. When all is said and done, I think he'll go to Ohio State, but that's a mere guess.

Welcome to the world of hinging your fall Saturday hopes and dreams on the whim of a teenager.

OnBaseMachine
02-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Best fit for college. It's not really what athletes look at these days. Pryor wants a mix of pro style offense and some shotgun looks. He isn't going to get that in Oregon.

I thought Pryor said he wanted to play in the spread offense...also Oregon runs shotgun formations.

Highlifeman21
02-09-2008, 01:14 PM
..and Ohio State has Antonio Henton.

I think Pryor has a case of the heebee-jeebies, but I think he's still looking for that school to drool all over him.

If you've ever seen the movie Blue Chips, think about all the courting these schools are doing for Pryor.

Pryor will go to the highest bidder. This is basically a college football version of the Daisuke Matsuzaka sweepstakes.

Whoever ponies up the the most lettuce will get themselves a top-ranked QB.

MWM
02-09-2008, 01:16 PM
If you've ever seen the movie Blue Chips, think about all the courting these schools are doing for Pryor.

Pryor will go to the highest bidder. This is basically a college football version of the Daisuke Matsuzaka sweepstakes.

Whoever ponies up the the most lettuce will get themselves a top-ranked QB.

You're crazy!

Highlifeman21
02-09-2008, 01:17 PM

Is Pryor the next/new Charlie Ward?

Highlifeman21
02-09-2008, 01:19 PM
You're crazy!

I really hope you're joking.

Recruits don't always pick their school b/c it's a good fit, or immediate playing time, or academics, or any of that buzz word crap.

Cash rules everything around me (cream), get the money, dolla dolla bills y'all.

MWM
02-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Recruits don't always pick their school b/c it's a good fit, or immediate playing time, or academics, or any of that buzz word crap.

Cash rules everything around me (cream), get the money, dolla dolla bills y'all.

You watch too much TV and are too gullible. I'm sure it happens occassionally, but with all the scrutiny on most of these recruits these days, I think you're crazy to think most of the top ones are being paid. It would be darn near impossible to hide. You're just stereotyping without any real idea of how this really works, unless you're going to tell us that not only did you write papers for OSU football players, but you brokered cash deals between them and the University.

Highlifeman21
02-09-2008, 01:40 PM
You watch too much TV and are too gullible. I'm sure it happens occassionally, but with all the scrutiny on most of these recruits these days, I think you're crazy to think most of the top ones are being paid. It would be darn near impossible to hide. You're just stereotyping without any real idea of how this really works, unless you're going to tell us that not only did you write papers for OSU football players, but you brokered cash deals between them and the University.

I can't say that I helped broker any transactions to lure players to tOSU, but you highly underestimate the power and influence of boosters. It's never the school itself providing "perks" to recruits and athletes, it's the boosters. Or as they like to think of themselves as "friends of the program".

These recruits and athletes want to be coddled. They want the school that is the best stepping stone for them to a pro career.

I think most of them are being "paid" in some fashion or another. It might not always be money, but recruits and athletes get incentives, and look for incentives when selecting schools.

And I didn't just write for only football players, but the athletic department as a whole. Great gig, if you can get it. Call that a "perk" the athletes receive. Don't want to write a paper? You don't have to! Some athletes take pride in their academic studies. Others, not so much.

WVRed
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM

While paying recruits/giving incentives would not surprise me in the least with any university, you might want to keep any speculation to yourself regarding any team, whether it's Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio State, or whoever.

WVRed
02-09-2008, 06:28 PM
And I didn't just write for only football players, but the athletic department as a whole. Great gig, if you can get it. Call that a "perk" the athletes receive. Don't want to write a paper? You don't have to! Some athletes take pride in their academic studies. Others, not so much.

I really hope for your sake none of the big whigs from Ohio State are reading this.

BuckeyeRedleg
02-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Highlifeman, did an OSU player steal your girlfriend or something?

traderumor
02-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Highlifeman, did an OSU player steal your girlfriend or something?One trick pony. He visits all OSU threads and posts this nonsense.

BuckeyeRedleg
02-24-2008, 10:47 PM
Word around Dublin is that Pryor is dating Stoneburner's sister and she goes to OSU.

Also, he was at the OSU-Wisconsin game today with some of the other OSU commits.

BuckeyeRedleg
02-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Also, OSU received their 8th commitment for the 2009 class.

Jamie Wood from Pickerington (Central).

sonny
03-04-2008, 11:33 PM
BuckCrazy! says Terrell will commit to OSU the week of March 17th.

http://forums.bucknuts.com/showthread.php?t=20078

*BaseClogger*
03-04-2008, 11:47 PM
lets get this over all ready...

Highlifeman21
03-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Highlifeman, did an OSU player steal your girlfriend or something?

One of my ex's hooked up with Simon Fraser, if that counts?

Highlifeman21
03-04-2008, 11:55 PM
One trick pony. He visits all OSU threads and posts this nonsense.

Those in denial call it nonsense.

Those that have experienced know it as fact.

Cedric
03-05-2008, 07:37 AM

It's just petty man. Nobody from these Universities can defend themselves. It's just not something that should be posted, IMO. Leave the gossip somewhere else. And it IS gossip.

LoganBuck
03-05-2008, 08:07 AM
I still call you full of it, and I know people at Ohio State involved in the process. So whatever.....

Caseyfan21
03-05-2008, 10:39 AM

I haven't really gotten involved with all this so far in this thread.....but I can confidently say if this sort of stuff is going on it's only at the very top. I know a few players who never received (or were offered ) such benefits and I knew someone on the coaching staff last year and I never heard any of this. My friend on the coaching staff would tell me quite a bit of gossip around the program and I am confident he never saw or knew of any blatent misconduct. He also had quite a bit of interaction with recruits so I think your stories of OSU paying off recruits have absolutely no basis.

MWM
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
BuckCrazy! says Terrell will commit to OSU the week of March 17th.

http://forums.bucknuts.com/showthread.php?t=20078

this stuff just makes no sense to me. If he's TRULY made his decision, why not just go ahead and sign? Saying he's definitely committing, but not for a couple of weeks is senseless.

Caseyfan21
03-05-2008, 12:25 PM
this stuff just makes no sense to me. If he's TRULY made his decision, why not just go ahead and sign? Saying he's definitely committing, but not for a couple of weeks is senseless.

He might just be waiting till after the basketball season. Apparently the state finals are played on campus on PSU. If he is going to OSU the crowd could really ride him. Not saying it makes any sense, just maybe giving a possible explanation.

He also might want to wait till after basketball season to make an official visit to PSU because his dad wants him too.

It doesn't really make sense either way, just like nothing in his recruitment really has.

Caseyfan21
03-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Pryor said after he won the state title game that he will announce his decision this week.

Bill Luginbill from ESPN had this to say about it:

While he may not be releasing his final two schools, it's our bet that he'll end up at Ohio State. As we've said in the past, we feel this may be the best fit for him to become a quarterback, not just an athlete playing quarterback. He won't have the weight of the world on his shoulders to be the guy and start from day one.

As we've said in the past? Really Bill? Cause Luginbill has sure been tooting the UM and Oregon horn pretty loudly around signing day as witness by this other quote of his:

The minute Rich Rodriguez left West Virginia for Ann Arbor and David Cutcliffe cut out to be the head coach at Duke, everything changed for this class' greatest athlete. Prior to all this happening, we believe Pryor's choices were in this order: Tennessee, West Virginia and Ohio State with a few hangers on down the line. Now, the tables have turned and Oregon and Michigan have thrust themselves to the forefront for Pryor's services. If Oregon weren't so far away, the Ducks would likely be in the lead by a few lengths. Obviously both offenses fit Pryor's skills perfectly and while I'm sure he would love to contribute right away, I think he is smart enough to understand that red-shirting isn't a bad option either. Rodriguez has played with a freshman before in Pat White and if he wants to truly run his scheme in year one, he will likely hand the keys over to Pryor as the ultimate recruiting tool in luring him to Ann Arbor.

*BaseClogger*
03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Pryor said after he won the state title game that he will announce his decision this week.

Bill Luginbill from ESPN had this to say about it:

As we've said in the past? Really Bill? Cause Luginbill has sure been tooting the UM and Oregon horn pretty loudly around signing day as witness by this other quote of his:

Most of the recruiting analysts are bad at their jobs... kinda like sports writers!

Puffy
03-18-2008, 06:57 PM
Looks like Pryor to OSU at noon tomorrow (3/19)

joshnky
03-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Well, he milked that for about as long as he could. At least he didn't pull a Jimmy Clausen and announce at the college football hall of fame.

Caseyfan21
03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Well, he milked that for about as long as he could. At least he didn't pull a Jimmy Clausen and announce at the college football hall of fame.

I think he had his reasons. Imagine what he would have gone through in the state finals had he announced for OSU a few weeks ago. The PSU fans there would have ridden him pretty hard.

The more I read about him the more I think he's just a kid dealing with college coach's that he had relationships with. It was probably pretty hard for him to tell someone no. Who knows what those around him were also pulling for....if he wanted to go to OSU but his dad wanted him to go to PSU that's a pretty tough situation. As a college student I can relate to him in a situation where he believes the best thing is different than what his father believes. It can be tough to go against your parent's wishes.

MWM
03-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I've read that he's announcing tomorrow, but Ohio State being his choice is speculation. Now, I think that's *probably* going to be the choice, but the way this has all gone down, nothing would surprise me.

Caseyfan21
03-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I've read that he's announcing tomorrow, but Ohio State being his choice is speculation. Now, I think that's *probably* going to be the choice, but the way this has all gone down, nothing would surprise me.

Absolutely, he could change his choice tonight the way this has unfolded. But I haven't seen any national analyst say anything other than OSU this past week.

BuckeyeRedleg
03-18-2008, 11:42 PM
By tomorrow, he will either be adored by Buckeye nation or hated more than Charles Woodson.

No in-between.

Funny how that works.

*BaseClogger*
03-19-2008, 12:26 AM
By tomorrow, he will either be adored by Buckeye nation or hated more than Charles Woodson.

No in-between.

Funny how that works.

Not for me. Charles Woodson was a traitor, an Ohio boy that went to Michigan. If Pryor doesn't go to tOSU, it will likely be to his home state school (PSU), and as a buckeye fan I can respect that...

BuckeyeRedleg
03-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Not for me. Charles Woodson was a traitor, an Ohio boy that went to Michigan. If Pryor doesn't go to tOSU, it will likely be to his home state school (PSU), and as a buckeye fan I can respect that...

You and me both. You probably do realize that we are in the minority though, right? Of course, maybe I exaggerrated a tad. I don't think anyone can equal the hate there is/was for Woodson.

Lake Orion, Michigan?

How did we pull you away from the dark side young clogger of bases?

*BaseClogger*
03-19-2008, 02:38 AM
You and me both. You probably do realize that we are in the minority though, right? Of course, maybe I exaggerrated a tad. I don't think anyone can equal the hate there is/was for Woodson.

Lake Orion, Michigan?

How did we pull you away from the dark side young clogger of bases?

My dad went to tOSU and my family is from Cincy :D

MWM
03-19-2008, 10:16 AM
OSU has had their fair share of recruits from Michigan. Vernon Gholston comes to mind.

kbrake
03-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Craig Krenzel comes to mind as well.

MWM
03-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Craig Krenzel comes to mind as well.

True. But Krenzel was not someone a lot of teams were interested in. I don't think he spurned the Wolverines to come to Columbus.

WVRed
03-19-2008, 12:22 PM
By all accounts, if Pryor picks anybody but OSU, it will be a shock.

On the same note, I don't know what kind of kid he is, if he really wanted to put off his decision so he could focus on school and the tournament, but I do believe the drama behind the whole recruiting process is going to force him to live up to standards that he has placed entirely on himself.

Regardless of where Pryor goes, he will have to live up to the hype for the whole circus his recruiting process has undergone, unlike say Julius Jones, who kept his pretty much quiet.

*BaseClogger*
03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
So you guys name two players from Michigan that went to tOSU, while Michigan has had two Heisman Trophy winners (out of three :D) from Ohio... :rolleyes:

bucksfan2
03-19-2008, 01:00 PM
So you guys name two players from Michigan that went to tOSU, while Michigan has had two Heisman Trophy winners (out of three :D) from Ohio... :rolleyes:

Wasn't Woodson from the Toledo area? That area up there is more pro UM than it is OSU.

cincy09
03-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Its over.......Pryor to the Bucks!!!!

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Congrats OSU fans, you got a good one.

Danny Serafini
03-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Wasn't Woodson from the Toledo area? That area up there is more pro UM than it is OSU.

As a Toledo resident I can tell you that is absolutely not true. It's basically a 50/50 split. The Buckeye fans are out a little more right now, but that's because OSU is the more successful team.

Woodson by the way was from Fremont, about 45-60 minutes away. It's considered part of the whole NW Ohio area, but too far to be Toledo metro.

Highlifeman21
03-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Big day in Columbus.

Good day to be a Buckeye and a Buckeye fan.

Not so good to be Rich Rodriguez right about niow...

sonny
03-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Who does Rich Rod have as his starting QB? With Mallet gone and Terrelle not coming, He looks kind of dopey now.

WVRed
03-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Who does Rich Rod have as his starting QB? With Mallet gone and Terrelle not coming, He looks kind of dopey now.

I had read somewhere that Rodriguez landed a player who was a QB/S in high school, but was projected to be a safety. My guess is unless Rodriguez goes with David Cone as his starter.

HeatherC1212
03-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Awesome news! This Buckeye fan is very happy...finally!! ;)

Caseyfan21
03-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Anybody watch the press conference? About the 17 minute mark (on the video I saw) he was talking about schools that continued to talk to him. Paraphrasing what he said about Oregon, "Yeah, they've been tex...er calling me a lot." He gave one of those big "OOOPS" faces right after he said it. I'm wondering how many recruiting violations might come out of his recruitment for all the schools. Especially texting since it was recently banned by the NCAA but sounds like it's still in heavy use.

Spring~Fields
03-19-2008, 04:43 PM
I hope he works out.
It is about time that poor ole Ohio State gets a decent recruit or two.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AjeISgV.4dJe5nRksPvCq.McvrYF?slug=ap-pryor-ohiost&prov=ap&type=lgns

dabvu2498
03-19-2008, 04:48 PM
I hope he works out.
It is about time that poor ole Ohio State gets a decent recruit or two.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AjeISgV.4dJe5nRksPvCq.McvrYF?slug=ap-pryor-ohiost&prov=ap&type=lgns

That's "University of Ohio State" to you.

bucksfan2
03-19-2008, 05:08 PM
As a Toledo resident I can tell you that is absolutely not true. It's basically a 50/50 split. The Buckeye fans are out a little more right now, but that's because OSU is the more successful team.

Woodson by the way was from Fremont, about 45-60 minutes away. It's considered part of the whole NW Ohio area, but too far to be Toledo metro.

I was playing in a high school golf tournament about 10 years ago and OSU's golf coach came over and was talking about watching a golf tournament up in Toledo. He said that he was wearing his OSU gear and realized that he wasn't in Buckeye country rather UM country. I have always felt Toledo was similar to Cincinnati in regards to fan support to OSU, not nearly as fanatical as the rest of the state.

Roy Tucker
03-19-2008, 05:11 PM

Excuse me, but that is THE University of Ohio State aka tUOS.

;)

*BaseClogger*
03-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm not so much excited about him coming to tOSU as I am about him NOT going to Michigan :D

Spring~Fields
03-19-2008, 08:45 PM

I am going to have to dig out the old Buckeyes fight song and play it a few times. :D

I just hope the new guy has a license to hunt gators, bulldogs and tigers. ;)

WVRed
03-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Anybody watch the press conference? About the 17 minute mark (on the video I saw) he was talking about schools that continued to talk to him. Paraphrasing what he said about Oregon, "Yeah, they've been tex...er calling me a lot." He gave one of those big "OOOPS" faces right after he said it. I'm wondering how many recruiting violations might come out of his recruitment for all the schools. Especially texting since it was recently banned by the NCAA but sounds like it's still in heavy use.

It's something that is going to be impossible to enforce. Some coaches may take the high road, but you will have some who will go to whatever means necessary, even if it means being caught.

WMR
03-20-2008, 12:37 AM
http://v5.rrruploader.com/uploads/dl3.gif

sonny
03-20-2008, 11:06 AM
http://v5.rrruploader.com/uploads/dl3.gif

Hater.:)

LoganBuck
03-20-2008, 04:11 PM
"The University of Ohio State" line was an inside joke aimed at fellow recruit Lamarr Thomas. When Lamarr declared he goofed up and said that. The rest of the recruiting class has poked fun at him since.