PDA

View Full Version : Reds will get another starter,but who?

fewfirstchoice
12-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Its a known fact that Cincy will get another stater,but who?They have 4 starters on there roster so they have to add another starter.I say they will add 2 more and probably add Belisle into what ever trade they make.But who will that trade be for.I dont think we end up with Bedard,Haren,Santana, or any big big name guys.I could see someone like Shields,Hill, or someone like them.I would just like to know who you guys think they may trade for.Im not sure who they trade for but I think they sign Lieber to a 2 year deal for probably 5 or 6 mil. to be our 5 guy and help bring our young guys along.So who do you think they will add?

BucksandReds
12-06-2007, 02:05 AM
Its a known fact that Cincy will get another stater,but who?They have 4 starters on there roster so they have to add another starter.I say they will add 2 more and probably add Belisle into what ever trade they make.But who will that trade be for.I dont think we end up with Bedard,Haren,Santana, or any big big name guys.I could see someone like Shields,Hill, or someone like them.I would just like to know who you guys think they may trade for.Im not sure who they trade for but I think they sign Lieber to a 2 year deal for probably 5 or 6 mil. to be our 5 guy and help bring our young guys along.So who do you think they will add?

I think they end up with a 40 year old #4 to go along with Harang, Arroyo, Bailey and Belisle. I Also believe that Shearn and Maloney will get their shots too. I see Cueto being a late 2008 to early 2009 entry.

Red Daddy
12-06-2007, 08:02 AM
Eric Milton? :(

berryluther
12-06-2007, 08:58 AM
IMO I think we did the best thing in not mortgaging our future to acquire someone like Bedard or Haren. Lets grab a few retreads (Wells and Lieber) and hope Cueto develops and that Homer shines.

bianchiveloce
12-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Carlos Silva would not surprise me.

mound_patrol
12-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Leiber or Clement for one year works for me.

AmarilloRed
12-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Shearn, Cueto, and Maloney are non-roster invitees to spring training, and it is possible but unlikely they could make the 25 man roster. I think the trade offers are getting too outrageous, so Wayne will look to go the free agency route to get some starting pitching.

rotnoid
12-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Shearn, Cueto, and Maloney are non-roster invitees to spring training, and it is possible but unlikely they could make the 25 man roster. I think the trade offers are getting too outrageous, so Wayne will look to go the free agency route to get some starting pitching.

Every team thinks the price for trades is too outrageous. Once the meetings are over and the need for headlines dies down, a few of the sellers are going to realize they're just going to have to lessen the price or keep what they've got. The meetings have been about speculation and price gouging for the most part. Both are easier to accomplish when everyone who's shopping is in the same room. Most of these pitchers will be traded, but for far less than what's currently being asked. If it wasn't in the best interest of the sellers to sell, they wouldn't be sellers.

AmarilloRed
12-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Winter Meetings: It's a wrap

What Wayne Krivsky said in the final pow wow with writers at the Winter Meetings spoke volumes:

"I would like to have done something if it improved the ballclub. I feel good about our team right now. We added (Francisco) Cordero as a major piece to the team. We want to solidify the starting rotation, see if we can add an arm or two to compete for one of those spots."

A couple of days ago the Reds were hopeful about getting Erik Bedard or Dan Haren or Dontrelle Willis. Those are not guys you bring to compete for spots in the rotation. Those are guys you pencil in for 35 starts. The Reds haven't given up on that, but it doesn't sound hopeful.

“There’s always that possibility," Krivsky said. "We’re not ruling that out either."

But it seems much more likely that the Reds will sign a low-level free agent -- Brett Tomko, Jon Lieber, etc. -- than pull off a big trade. The only player they added at the Meetings was Jose Valenzuela, a 23-year-old right-hander they picked in the Rule 5 draft. He was 1-3 with 7.00 ERA in Single-A last season.

Krivsky said right now Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle are the only ones assured spots in the rotation. Homer Bailey has the inside track to the fourth spot. The fifth spot? Hard to say.

"That's the way stands right," Krivsky. "It's a long way to spring training. It depends on what happens."

posted by John Fay at 11:30 AM

It doesn't sound like the Reds are going to make a trade this off-season. The starting rotation now seems like Harang -Arroyo-Belisle-Bailey- and ?. We will probably see the Reds sign a cheap SP to take the fifth slot.

Red Rover
12-06-2007, 04:46 PM
I still think Willis is the pitcher the Reds end up with. I'm not sure what the Tigers need. Could a Willis for Jr swap work?

Handofdeath
12-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Eric Milton? :(

No, Red Daddy. BucksandReds said 40 year old pitcher. Not pitcher who gives up 40 HR's.

jmac
12-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Winter Meetings: It's a wrap

What Wayne Krivsky said in the final pow wow with writers at the Winter Meetings spoke volumes:

"I would like to have done something if it improved the ballclub. I feel good about our team right now. We added (Francisco) Cordero as a major piece to the team. We want to solidify the starting rotation, see if we can add an arm or two to compete for one of those spots."

A couple of days ago the Reds were hopeful about getting Erik Bedard or Dan Haren or Dontrelle Willis. Those are not guys you bring to compete for spots in the rotation. Those are guys you pencil in for 35 starts. The Reds haven't given up on that, but it doesn't sound hopeful.

“There’s always that possibility," Krivsky said. "We’re not ruling that out either."

But it seems much more likely that the Reds will sign a low-level free agent -- Brett Tomko, Jon Lieber, etc. -- than pull off a big trade. The only player they added at the Meetings was Jose Valenzuela, a 23-year-old right-hander they picked in the Rule 5 draft. He was 1-3 with 7.00 ERA in Single-A last season.

Krivsky said right now Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo and Matt Belisle are the only ones assured spots in the rotation. Homer Bailey has the inside track to the fourth spot. The fifth spot? Hard to say.

"That's the way stands right," Krivsky. "It's a long way to spring training. It depends on what happens."

posted by John Fay at 11:30 AM

It doesn't sound like the Reds are going to make a trade this off-season. The starting rotation now seems like Harang -Arroyo-Belisle-Bailey- and ?. We will probably see the Reds sign a cheap SP to take the fifth slot.
Thanks for these updates AR.
If Bailey takes a step forward, I could handle Belisle as a #4 or #5.
I still have hope the reds can obtain a good #3.
WK sounds like though the winter meetings have ended,his work is just beginning. One thing different is this year, you really get the feeling the reds are trying to improve.

HokieRed
12-06-2007, 11:56 PM
In other words, we're looking for somebody to be better than Shearn until Cueto is ready to be given a chance. I look for it to be Brett Tomko.

Bip Roberts
12-06-2007, 11:58 PM
I think cueto is going to make this roster out of spring training pretty easily honestly

NorrisHopper30
12-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Bedard, Clement, or Prior.

Stephenk29
12-07-2007, 12:08 AM
I talked to my friend and he said 1530am(?) said the Reds almost pulled a Bedard for Bruce type deal? Did anyone else happen to catch this and have any more details?

Bip Roberts
12-07-2007, 12:18 AM
I talked to my friend and he said 1530am(?) said the Reds almost pulled a Bedard for Bruce type deal? Did anyone else happen to catch this and have any more details?

It was more along the lines of everyone wants bruce and the reds are unwilling to move him.

jnwohio
12-07-2007, 12:31 AM
It was more along the lines of everyone wants bruce and the reds are unwilling to move him.

It sounds like everybody with pitching to deal wants Bruce or Hamilton in the deal. So far at least the Reds seem determined not to give up Bruce and don't really want to give up Hamilton either. If one considers Griffey's age and Dunns contractual status, it make sense why the Reds don't want to part with either of those younger outfielders.

I'm guessing that so far based on what we got from the beat blogs that the Reds sorta dangled Hamilton to get engaged then pulled a bait and switch by trying to get serious about Votto in a package which would have included an extra lower level prospect or two more than a package with Hamilton in it.

jmac
12-07-2007, 12:44 AM
It sounds like everybody with pitching to deal wants Bruce or Hamilton in the deal. So far at least the Reds seem determined not to give up Bruce and don't really want to give up Hamilton either. If one considers Griffey's age and Dunns contractual status, it make sense why the Reds don't want to part with either of those younger outfielders.

I'm guessing that so far based on what we got from the beat blogs that the Reds sorta dangled Hamilton to get engaged then pulled a bait and switch by trying to get serious about Votto in a package which would have included an extra lower level prospect or two more than a package with Hamilton in it.
oops, see below.

jmac
12-07-2007, 12:45 AM

I really feel the reds would part with Hamilton if rest of package wasnt too high which I believe was in most every case.

nw_ohio_fan
12-07-2007, 02:33 AM
I say Prior. he is going to be cheap. If he flops well no big loss. If he pans out, what a steal.

Bedard no way Baltimore will ask for the key to city hall, plus Bruce, and Homer.

I could go for Clement.

Hondo
12-07-2007, 04:01 AM
Clement? Are you guys Nuts???

How many times are you going to have Johan Santana's available??? ONCE.

Thanks

kaldaniels
12-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Clement? Are you guys Nuts???

How many times are you going to have Johan Santana's available??? ONCE.

Thanks

Proven vs uproven argument aside....how often are the Reds going to have the #1 prospect in baseball in your lifetime probably. ONCE.

Thanks

hippie07
12-07-2007, 10:21 PM
O's evidently wanted: Bailey, Bruce, Votto for Bedard...
I've FINALLY accepted that we're not going to get a starter for anywhere near a "fair" price ....

I say lets see what the Rays want for Shields... I'd give a Hamilton package.