PDA

View Full Version : Car GPS Devices

BuckWoody
12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm mulling over buying a GPS device for the car as a Christmas present. Does anyone have any experience with these things? I don't want one that's too fancy; text to speech and real-time traffic capability are about the only two things I'd like it to have. I've done a little reserch but was wondering what advice anyone here may be able to provide.

Best Buy has a deal going on the Tom Tom One XLS. That has the text to speech and has the capability for the traffic updates. I've seen some mixed reviews on it though.

SunDeck
12-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't have one, but my brother has a Garmin. He uses it all the time, all over the country. Loves it.

I have seen it make an occasional mistake, but overall I have been impressed with it.

nate
12-07-2007, 03:28 PM
We have the TomTom One. Got it over a year ago when we had just moved here. I think it works really well. You have to get used to its directions because it really means what it says. "Exit right, then, go straight on" and "keep left, then keep right"...it really means it!

For the most part, very useful!

Highlifeman21
12-07-2007, 04:12 PM
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 650 about 6 weeks ago, and I love it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=8671

Quick little link to the Garmin site to give you the features, specs, etc.

Not sure on your price range, but I would highly highly recommend this unit.

I compared probably 10 different Garmin units, at least 6 Tom Toms, and 3 or 4 Magellans, and this was the one that I felt had everything I wanted at the price I could afford.

JaxRed
12-07-2007, 04:16 PM
I have a Garmin 340. It's a hair more expensive than the 330 but says street names when the turn by turn happens. Also some of the Garmin models can't handle the lastest version of the maps.

I love my GPS. The street pilots are cheaper (do some on-line pricing) because they are the "old style". Nuvi's are much thinner. I wish mine was bluetooth capable but other than that I love it.

RBA
12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I got a no-name brand (MyGuide 3050) cheap a couple years ago. It does the job. It's handy, especially if you move around a lot like me. It probably saved me a fortune in gas here in San Diego. Instead of burning gas trying to find my way, I'm able to go right to my destination without stopping at the gas station to ask for directions.

oneupper
12-08-2007, 09:26 AM
PM Johnny Footstool.

Sea Ray
12-08-2007, 10:02 AM
I bought the Garmin Nuvi 650 about 6 weeks ago, and I love it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=8671

Quick little link to the Garmin site to give you the features, specs, etc.

Not sure on your price range, but I would highly highly recommend this unit.

I compared probably 10 different Garmin units, at least 6 Tom Toms, and 3 or 4 Magellans, and this was the one that I felt had everything I wanted at the price I could afford.

That looks like a nice one. Since you've had other units I have a specific question for you:

What do think of the 4.3" widescreen as opposed to the 3.5" square screens on the Tom-Toms and others? Is it a significant improvement or does it make very little difference?

I'm considering some basic models for my wife as a present and I'm hung up on whether it's worth the extra money for the widescreen.

I'm considering the c330 or the 200W.

Thanks.

Highlifeman21
12-08-2007, 12:07 PM
That looks like a nice one. Since you've had other units I have a specific question for you:

What do think of the 4.3" widescreen as opposed to the 3.5" square screens on the Tom-Toms and others? Is it a significant improvement or does it make very little difference?

I'm considering some basic models for my wife as a present and I'm hung up on whether it's worth the extra money for the widescreen.

Thanks.

The biggest difference with the screen size is when you have to type something into the unit when the keyboard screen pops up. I had to use a stylus to type in on the smaller screen units, whereas fingertips were fine on the bigger screen units. To me, that was a big selling point.

Also, the bigger screen is easier to see with more complex maps (think subdivisions and grid style street layouts).

My roommate has the c330, and it suits his needs, and he has no problem typing things in on the smaller screen, and the view range is adequate.

Johnny Footstool
12-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Thanks.

The wider screen is a huge bonus.

OldRightHander
12-09-2007, 10:39 AM
You know what's funny? I probably drive more miles in a week than anyone else here and I still don't have one of those things. I manage pretty well with Rand McNally.

JaxRed
12-09-2007, 11:24 AM
You know what's funny? I probably drive more miles in a week than anyone else here and I still don't have one of those things. I manage pretty well with Rand McNally.

That's what everyone says till they have one.

JaxRed
12-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Keep in mind the Garmin 330 and the 220 don't say street names. They will say turn right in 300ft. The 340 will say Turn Right on Lombard Ave in 300ft.

Street names are a must for me in any automotive GPS

BuckWoody
12-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks for all the good input! I'm still leaning toward the Tom Tom. It comes with the larger screen, says the street names, and (most importantly) is in my price range.

Let me know if anyone has any other tidbits...I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Sea Ray
12-10-2007, 10:12 AM
A lot of people will wake up in two weeks to find the Garmon 200w under their tree. Both Circuit City and Radio Shack are sold out of them. The guy at CC took about 20 mins selling me on the 200w, then I told him fine, I'll take it and he comes back and says they're out of stock...would I like the next model up for $50 more? By the next day the other local CC stores were sold out too so I ended up ordering it from an online store for about $35 less money. I would have liked to have given CC the sale since they earned it but they didn't have one to sell me. Sales 101: don't talk up a unit that's already sold out.

The associate at Rado Shack said they had an "off brand" made by Magellan that was kind of like a generic Tom-Tom but for less money. Anybody know anything about that brand?

Roy Tucker
12-10-2007, 10:33 AM
I do pretty darn fine with my AAA maps.

Get off my lawn.

gonelong
12-10-2007, 10:39 AM

Having a GPS unit is a lot like getting High speed internet access. You may not *NEED* it, but once you have it you wouldn't give it back.

In your line of work I'd consider it an essential tool for efficiency.

GL

OldRightHander
12-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Having a GPS unit is a lot like getting High speed internet access. You may not *NEED* it, but once you have it you wouldn't give it back.

In your line of work I'd consider it an essential tool for efficiency.

GL

I'll be getting a laptop in a couple weeks. I can find my way from one city to another with the Rand McNally nationwide atlas about as fast as someone can type in the city names. Then what I need are directions to the pickup or drop within that city. I can find that on the computer as easily as I can on a GPS, and I just don't see spending money on the computer and then buying one of those as well. Besides, if the computer shows me the map, that's all I need. The only other thing the GPS would do is show me where I am and give me turn by turn. Well, I already know where I am and if I can't look at the map ahead of time and figure out where to turn, I probably shouldn't be in this line of work. Now GET THE HECK OFF MY LAWN!

gonelong
12-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I'll be getting a laptop in a couple weeks. I can find my way from one city to another with the Rand McNally nationwide atlas about as fast as someone can type in the city names. Then what I need are directions to the pickup or drop within that city. I can find that on the computer as easily as I can on a GPS, and I just don't see spending money on the computer and then buying one of those as well. Besides, if the computer shows me the map, that's all I need. The only other thing the GPS would do is show me where I am and give me turn by turn. Well, I already know where I am and if I can't look at the map ahead of time and figure out where to turn, I probably shouldn't be in this line of work. Now GET THE HECK OFF MY LAWN!

How fast can you refigure your route and estimate your time of arrival if a road is closed and you need to take a different route?

Like I said, if you had one you wouldn't give it back.

I don't own one myself, and surely you can get to where you need to go by other means.

Your lawn if full of crab-grass, you won't find me on it. :p:

GL

Chip R
12-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I sure could have used a GPS system when I was driving around Boston this summer. Although if I had one I get the feeling it would have told me I was on my own. ;)

WebScorpion
12-10-2007, 04:37 PM

Why don't you just say you enjoy looking at the map and figuring out where to turn? I think that's the real dilemma. Sure, it might be a little quicker to just punch in the address and follow the turn by turn directions the little GPS spouts out, but where's the challenge in that? There's a certain satisfaction derived from reading a map and correlating that chart with the actual surrounding land and managing to arrive at your destination in a timely fashion. That's part of the fun.

BTW, I travel quite a bit. I usually fly to my destination city and use a rental car to get where I need to go...and I use a GPS. :eek:

TeamCasey
12-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I sure could have used a GPS system when I was driving around Boston this summer. Although if I had one I get the feeling it would have told me I was on my own. ;)

We rented one on my last Boston trip. I honestly don't think we could've navigated around Logan airport without.

Our destination was off the beaten path as well.

Unassisted
12-10-2007, 06:23 PM
It probably saved me a fortune in gas here in San Diego. Instead of burning gas trying to find my way, I'm able to go right to my destination without stopping at the gas station to ask for directions.
I got a lot of use out of mine when I first moved to San Antonio. Now that I know my way around, I usually leave it at home to avoid losing a car window to a smash-and-grab.

It's great for trips to other cities, though. With the GPS in the car, I can make a reservation at a hotel and get right to the front door without ever making a wrong turn.

OldRightHander
12-10-2007, 07:36 PM
How fast can you refigure your route and estimate your time of arrival if a road is closed and you need to take a different route?

Like I said, if you had one you wouldn't give it back.

I don't own one myself, and surely you can get to where you need to go by other means.

Your lawn if full of crab-grass, you won't find me on it. :p:

GL

Yeah, I know they're helpful, but at this moment, I just don't see spending the money for something I can get online. Maybe when the price comes down...

Anyway, even if I had one, I think I'd rather just see the map on the screen and then follow it. I don't think I'd want to just drive along waiting for something to tell me when to turn. I was riding with a friend once who had one of those and he was using it to find the place we were going. When I asked what street he was going to take next he replied that he was waiting for the GPS to tell him. Now, can you scroll ahead on those things and get the entire routing without having to wait for it to tell you where to turn? That would be a feature I could use, but not right now when I'm on a tight budget with a $1200 a month payment on the vehicle.

As for Boston, that's a whole different animal. I've delivered there a few times and haven't had much trouble, but I'm usually out around Foxboro and very rarely have to go near downtown.

gonelong
12-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I know they're helpful, but at this moment, I just don't see spending the money for something I can get online. Maybe when the price comes down...

I can appreciate that, I don't have one either.

Anyway, even if I had one, I think I'd rather just see the map on the screen and then follow it. I don't think I'd want to just drive along waiting for something to tell me when to turn. I was riding with a friend once who had one of those and he was using it to find the place we were going. When I asked what street he was going to take next he replied that he was waiting for the GPS to tell him. Then one my buddy has will show the map, the vehical on the map, as well as the next street and direction to turn on it.

Now, can you scroll ahead on those things and get the entire routing without having to wait for it to tell you where to turn? That would be a feature I could use, but not right now when I'm on a tight budget with a $1200 a month payment on the vehicle. Depending on your model I am pretty sure this can be done now.

GL

WebScorpion
12-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Anyway, even if I had one, I think I'd rather just see the map on the screen and then follow it. I don't think I'd want to just drive along waiting for something to tell me when to turn. I was riding with a friend once who had one of those and he was using it to find the place we were going. When I asked what street he was going to take next he replied that he was waiting for the GPS to tell him. Now, can you scroll ahead on those things and get the entire routing without having to wait for it to tell you where to turn? That would be a feature I could use, but not right now when I'm on a tight budget with a $1200 a month payment on the vehicle.

As for Boston, that's a whole different animal. I've delivered there a few times and haven't had much trouble, but I'm usually out around Foxboro and very rarely have to go near downtown.

They are very nice to have, even if you don't continually use them. I often use mine as you suggested, it just displays the map and where I'm at with the street names in the surrounding area...it's nice to see the names of the next three streets when you are looking for one in particular. Also, if I have programmed in a destination, it displays the street I'm on and the next turn at the top of the display. If I touch the text in that area, it switches from the map to a list of the next 4 or 5 turns and I can scroll down until I've seen all the turn-by-turn directions. I use a Garmin Nuvi 350, which runs around $300, but you can get a Nuvi 260 for around $250 which is basically the same thing without some of the unnecessary frills. (MP3 Player, Travel Assitant, Language Translator, etc.) I find myself using mine for oddball things now...for example, if I see a river or a lake and want to know its name, I just touch the screen image and it tells me the name of the thing I have touched. A minor thing, but still nice in my opinion. The prices, as you stated, are definitely coming down, (I bought mine for $450 a year ago, and you can get them for $300 now) so waiting is definitely not going to hurt you. The only other thing I should mention is that they are satellite dependent, so they don't work underground, they do really odd things in cities with walls of skyscrapers, and during heavy storms reception can go in-and-out. When it's all said and done, it's just another tool and most people are more efficient with whatever tool they're most comfortable with.

Sea Ray
12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Just wondering, why would anyone want an MP3 player coming out of their GPS? Wouldn't you want that coming out of your car's 6, 8 or 10 speakers?

Johnny Footstool
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Just wondering, why would anyone want an MP3 player coming out of their GPS? Wouldn't you want that coming out of your car's 6, 8 or 10 speakers?

The Garmin units (and probably the Tom Toms) have an FM transmitter that broadcasts audio over your car stereo.

Sea Ray
12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
The Garmin units (and probably the Tom Toms) have an FM transmitter that broadcasts audio over your car stereo.

Do you have to wire it into your radio?

Johnny Footstool
12-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Do you have to wire it into your radio?

No, it's a wireless FM broadcast. You simply tune your GPS and your radio to the same frequency.

XM radios have this capability as well.

Sea Ray
12-11-2007, 11:12 PM
No, it's a wireless FM broadcast. You simply tune your GPS and your radio to the same frequency.

XM radios have this capability as well.

What about HD radios? I'd like to be able to receive HD radio but I don't want to replace my current one which is a factory installed GPS, AM-FM, 6 CD changer.

BuckWoody
12-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks again for all the info. I went ahead with the Tom Tom. It's for my wife, the mother of my children, the woman of my dreams....who once left our friends' house in Preble County with instructions to drive south until she hit route 35, then turn left to get back to Dayton. She ended up in Cincinnati. :(

She eventually found her way home. :)

RFS62
12-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks again for all the info. I went ahead with the Tom Tom. It's for my wife, the mother of my children, the woman of my dreams....who once left our friends' house in Preble County with instructions to drive south until she hit route 35, then turn left to get back to Dayton. She ended up in Cincinnati. :(

She eventually found her way home. :)

You can get different voices for the Tom Tom.

You can have Mr. T giving you the instructions.

"Turn around, fool!!! You missed your turn!!!"

"Stop with the jibber-jabber and turn left, fool!!!"

Johnny Footstool
12-12-2007, 10:18 AM
What about HD radios? I'd like to be able to receive HD radio but I don't want to replace my current one which is a factory installed GPS, AM-FM, 6 CD changer.

That, I don't know.

RBA
12-12-2007, 01:54 PM

I'm hearing HD radio is not all that is cracked up to be. It's a digital signal which means it needs a clear line of sight (much like a satellite reciever needs from the sky). But sense the station towers are not in the sky above, the signal gets blocked by buildings, hills, trees, etc and the reception is spotty at best. But once it's tune in, it's cystral clear. I hear it's much better to have a set up on a home system.

Also HD Radio is a marketing term. HD does not mean "High Defition" or "Hybrid" radio. It's just a term to sell it like it's the same as HD TV.

KittyDuran
03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Decided to bump this thread up to tell of mine/my Dad's experiences with a GPS. We went halfers on a Garmin Nuvi 260. The first test was to get my parents and sister to Houston for my Dad's POW reunion. Even though the reunion has been held at the same place for a few years it is still hard to navigate in downton Houston. There was no problems except when they were looking for a casino in Lake Charles, LA, but it was no longer there. The second test was for my Dad and cousin to attend a funeral in Lexington. My Dad said that there would have been no way they would have found that funeral home w/o the GPS.

Now, for my experiences going to FL. I stayed the night in Atlanta at the Crowne Plaza near the airport - thiis hotel was just down the street from the Hilton which I stayed at last year. But the GPS paid for itself when I couldn't cross a busy street and decided just to get onto the highway. No problem except that the first exit I took had no easy turn around. I keep on going farther and farther away from the hotel looking for a street to take me back to the highway. At a traffic light I turn on the Garmin and with a few turns it gets me back on track.

I'm pretty familiar with Sarasota but had not been to other ballparks. Wanted to see the Reds play Rays and the Phillies. That meant going to St. Pete and Clearwater. I probably would have found the ballparks with Mapquest, etc. but there was so much construction. The GPS doesn't know that, but will recalculate to get you back on the route.

If there are any cons to the device is it doesn't know about detours (there may be software you can purchase), moved or closed establishments, and local traffic laws. It's favorite means of getting back on the route is doing a U-turn - which in many cases in around Sarasota is illegal.

dougdirt
03-19-2008, 03:19 AM
I just went to Chicago with a buddy who has a Garmin. That thing saved us so much time getting around traffic jams it wasn't even funny. I personally wouldn't pay for one, but if I were given one, there is no way I would give it back. When you are somewhere you don't know where you are, or are going on a long trip, its a life saver.

acredsfan
03-19-2008, 06:00 AM
I got a new GPS in January. It was around $140 and plays MP3s and movies. It also has a game on it, but it's pretty simple. It is an XROAD V4100 if anybody is interested in looking it up. It has a 4.3 inch touch screen, and for the price is far beyond what I would have gotten from other brands for twice that price. I also have it running into my car radio, so I can listen to MP3s through my radio. Basically when I'm doing my day to day driving, I just use it for the MP3 and Video feature. The GPS software is pretty good, and they are coming out with a new version that will have 3-D buildings. You can also get the traffic kit for $130 for the equipment and a lifetime of service. Compared to paying $30 a month for subscription fees plus about $70 for the equipment for most other brands, that is a great deal. That is the service that tells you about construction, traffic delays, and other such incidents.

OldRightHander
03-21-2008, 09:15 PM
For some who don't want to spend the money or who don't need the dash mounted screen, there are some decent mapping programs you can get for your laptop that will work in conjunction with a GPS receiver. I have Sprint wireless broadband and the the wireless card has a built in GPS receiver. I spent $40 on a mapping program (Streets and Trips) and it will do darn near everything one of those GPS units will do, including the turn by turn if that's what you need. With the downloadable updates you can keep current on the maps and even construction information. I prefer not to use turn by turn because I'd rather run the route and know my turns ahead of time, but it's there if you need it. Sure, the portable ones have a lot of the extra features, but if you're on a budget getting a program for your laptop and a GPS receiver will do just fine. You just have to pull over when you want to look something up. I use my paper nationwide atlas to get from one city to the next and then I look up my delivery address on the laptop and read through the directions a couple times. Then if it's at night and I can't see the street signs too well, I'll enable the turn by turn just to identify the streets I'm coming up on.

I have often wondered when I see people doing erratic maneuvers on the road if someone is listening to turn by turn directions and doesn't know the next turn ahead of time. That's just plum lazy. I think those things will allow you to scroll ahead and get your whole route. I think that's probably safer, rather than doing each turn as it tells you and then making erratic lane changes when it tells you that you have to make a left in half a mile and you're in the right lane.

RFS62
03-21-2008, 09:31 PM
For some who don't want to spend the money or who don't need the dash mounted screen, there are some decent mapping programs you can get for your laptop that will work in conjunction with a GPS receiver.

DeLorme is the industry standard in my business. I use it with a laptop with a mobile desk mount.

Here's a screen shot. The left side is an overview, the right side a close up. Your next turn is in text below the maps.

http://www.delorme.com//byUse/businessnavigation/samples/Bus_Nav_SA_Toronto/SA_Toronto_1.jpg

Here's how the desk with computer looks in your car.

http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/store/catalog/%5Cthumbnails%5C448.jpg

OldRightHander
03-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Here's a new unit that I haven't tried yet.

http://www.grinbig.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/latest-gps-technology-navigator.jpg

goreds2
03-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Here's a new unit that I haven't tried yet.

http://www.grinbig.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/latest-gps-technology-navigator.jpg

I have been looking for a unit for less than a 100 bucks. That is the one! :)

marcshoe
03-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Seems like this would take all the fun out of driving. If I'd had a GPS, I never would have stumbled into that place where the police had just made all those people assume the position the first time I drove in Cincinnati. If I'd had a GPS, I likely wouldn't have driven up to that Pentagon guard shack when I was trying to find my way off of the beltway. If I'd had a GPS I never would have driven on that dark road across central California in the middle of the night after realizing I'd got on the wrong interstate in Stockton. If I'd had...oh, never mind.

joshnky
08-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I thought I'd bump an old thread rather than starting a new one. I recently received a Garmin Nuvi 205 as a gift and love it. However, the map is out of date although it was just released last year. I'm hoping an update will provide better coverage and I've seen that they have the 2010 version available. I'd rather not pay $70 to get this from Garmin so does anyone know of a better option?

Raisor
08-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Love my garmin. I started my current job (being RFjr) using Mapquest. Bought the Garmin back in January, and can't believe I tried using mapquest at all.

I've got a Jotto Desk on order for my car. Once I get that thing for my computer, I'll never have to leave my car. I'll order pizza online, have it delievered to the car, along with water for drinking and baths.

RFS62
08-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Love my garmin. I started my current job (being RFjr) using Mapquest. Bought the Garmin back in January, and can't believe I tried using mapquest at all.

I've got a Jotto Desk on order for my car. Once I get that thing for my computer, I'll never have to leave my car. I'll order pizza online, have it delievered to the car, along with water for drinking and baths.

That's awesome. I just snagged a portable unit for when you do actually have to leave the car and do some outside inspections.

I loves me some technology.

JaxRed
08-04-2009, 07:10 AM
Garmin now has a lifetime maps option. Pay about $100 and you can get free map updates as long as your GPS is breathing.

gonelong
08-04-2009, 10:09 AM
The GL family picked up a GPS (Garmin Nuvi) and I like it 10 times more than I thought I would. The Mrs. has a difficult time with directions, so this is an absolute Godsend for her.

Five minutes into an 8 hour return trip the highway we were supposed to get on was backed up for miles. The GPS recalculated, on the fly, a route for us that added a whopping 1 minute to our drive home. Pure delight.

GL

OldRightHander
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I did eventually get one, but my opinion is somewhat mixed. It is really nice at night when it's hard to see street signs, but there are times where it doesn't always choose the best roads for a commercial vehicle. I don't really want to run through every county road and deer path on the way to my destination. I probably should have spent a bit more money on one with truck routing. So what I do is use my atlas to figure out the interstate routing into the town I'm delivering and then I use the GPS to find the specific street once I get close.

Here's an example of how messed up it can be at times. I put in my house from downtown and it wanted me to take I-74 to Colerain and go up Colerain to 275 east to Hamilton Ave. and then to my house. It's a bit faster to stay on 74 to 275 east to Hamilton, even though it's a little farther. The Tom Tom simply sees a US Route that is shorter and it doesn't know that the route it's wanting to run involves traffic lights and slower driving.

Funny enough though, the feature I use the most is simply finding points of interest near where I am. I have all the major truck stop chains listed in there and most of the major grocery store chains as well. That comes in handy on the road, just punching in and looking for the closest grocery.

JaxRed
08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I spotted the problem........ "Tom Tom " (I'm a Garmin Guy).

But usually there is setting to maximize use of highways.

GAC
08-08-2009, 04:49 AM
I got to use Verizon's Navigator GPS free for 30 days. Up until then, I was very unfamiliar with GPS's. Pretty neat. I didn't renew it after 30 days; but it sold me on finding a portable GPS - Garmin seems to be the most recommended.

What do some of you think of this deal?......

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-250-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B000OH4942/ref=br_lf_m_1000400381_1_16_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=482748071&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000400381&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1C9MNXE3ETF6T5Q3QREN

Johnny Footstool
08-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I got to use Verizon's Navigator GPS free for 30 days. Up until then, I was very unfamiliar with GPS's. Pretty neat. I didn't renew it after 30 days; but it sold me on finding a portable GPS - Garmin seems to be the most recommended.

What do some of you think of this deal?......

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-250-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator/dp/B000OH4942/ref=br_lf_m_1000400381_1_16_ttl?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=482748071&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000400381&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1C9MNXE3ETF6T5Q3QREN

$99 is a very good price, but that is an older unit, and you'll want a map update for it.

Check PMs.

marcshoe
08-09-2009, 09:04 PM
One problem I have with Garmin--even the updates refuse to call the road I live on by the right name. In the late seventies, a sign with the wrong name was put on it (the name of a road that lies in a straight line southwest of it, running the same direction.) The sign was removed a short time later and replaced with a correct one, but Garmin insists on calling the road by the old wrong name and calling the next road up what this one should be called.