PDA

View Full Version : Brabdon Phillips Lock him up!

gobucks106
12-08-2007, 11:22 AM
When are we going to get smart and lock him up long term? He needs to be the face of this franchise for the near future and beyond.

jmac
12-08-2007, 11:43 AM
He was on WLW last night as they broadcast some from Redsfest.
He was asked if he liked to fish or hunt during offseason and he said no.
Host said something like" you dont like to hunt deer"?
BP replied "why would I want to hurt Bambi ? Bambi never hurt me"
He was having a good time with it. Also host told him, Votto was just on and asked what he learned this past season in the bigs.
Votto said he learned alot about having a love for the game from guys like BP.

ChatterRed
12-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Also host told him, Votto was just on and asked what he learned this past season in the bigs.
Votto said he learned alot about having a love for the game from guys like BP.

We should trade Phillips to a team that has more guys that love the game. Phillips doesn't fit in here with his love of the game, with all our non-love of the game other players. ;)

Bip Roberts
12-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Phillips had no problem saying he was the best all around player on the reds last year :laugh:

Its a scary comment to make but I loved it.

*BaseClogger*
12-08-2007, 04:40 PM
sure lets lock him up LTC but only give him the proper ammount...

Natty Redlocks
12-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Let's lock him up and not let him out til he learns to take a walk.

*BaseClogger*
12-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Let's lock him up and not let him out til he learns to take a walk.

amen

SMcGavin
12-09-2007, 12:52 AM
We control him for three more years, why the rush to give him a ton of money?

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 12:54 AM
We control him for three more years, why the rush to give him a ton of money?

because he is going to get some serious raises

mole44
12-09-2007, 02:52 AM
He was on WLW last night as they broadcast some from Redsfest.
He was asked if he liked to fish or hunt during offseason and he said no.
Host said something like" you dont like to hunt deer"?
BP replied "no, I'm black"

Stupid question really, Just because Dunn hunts and fishes doesn't mean the whole team does.

crazybob60
12-09-2007, 09:37 AM
I say let him have another have another great season and if he does, then ink him up!!

Mr.MojoRisin
12-09-2007, 10:47 AM
We definatley need to keep him, I get so tired of hearing about the Reds trading good players for a couple of o.k. players in hopes that they turn into great ones, it never works.

crazybob60
12-09-2007, 10:50 AM
We definatley need to keep him, I get so tired of hearing about the Reds trading good players for a couple of o.k. players in hopes that they turn into great ones, it never works.

Jim Bowden got us for that up in Wash.

SMcGavin
12-09-2007, 12:59 PM
because he is going to get some serious raises

He will get expensive towards the end of his arb year but I would guess he'll be pretty affordable this year.

Right now we are totally risk free, if it turns out last year was a fluke it's no skin off our backs. If he comes out in 2008 and gives a repeat of 2007, I'd start thinking LTC. Just don't see the point in giving him a big money deal based on one season, it's not like we have to pay him right now to keep him on the team.

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 03:25 PM
He will get expensive towards the end of his arb year but I would guess he'll be pretty affordable this year.

Right now we are totally risk free, if it turns out last year was a fluke it's no skin off our backs. If he comes out in 2008 and gives a repeat of 2007, I'd start thinking LTC. Just don't see the point in giving him a big money deal based on one season, it's not like we have to pay him right now to keep him on the team.

I'm going off the assumption that a LTC doesn't have to be big money, although I don't think that is realistic...

StrikeIndicator
12-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Just don't see the point in giving him a big money deal based on one season, it's not like we have to pay him right now to keep him on the team.
:thumbdown:thumbdown
bad attitute to take IMHO
It is a matter of respect and appreciation. In todays market, you had better show your appreciation.
If the FO is ignorant enought to go forward with a thought process [I][like we have to pay him right now to keep him on the team/I]
.................then there is a great chance that he and his agent will tell them where to put it :eek:when his contract is up.

SMcGavin
12-09-2007, 05:10 PM
:thumbdown:thumbdown
bad attitute to take IMHO
It is a matter of respect and appreciation. In todays market, you had better show your appreciation.
If the FO is ignorant enought to go forward with a thought process [I][like we have to pay him right now to keep him on the team/I]
.................then there is a great chance that he and his agent will tell them where to put it :eek:when his contract is up.

Look, he had a very good year, and I hope he repeats it in 2008. He also gives very good defense at an important spot. But I am not going to give BP and his career .725 OPS a big-money LTC because of one season, especially when we already control him for three more years. It's not "ignorant", it's good business. This process got played out on a smaller scale with Todd Coffey and Ryan Freel, how many of you are happy with those extensions now?

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Look, he had a very good year, and I hope he repeats it in 2008. He also gives very good defense at an important spot. But I am not going to give BP and his career .725 OPS a big-money LTC because of one season, especially when we already control him for three more years. It's not "ignorant", it's good business. This process got played out on a smaller scale with Todd Coffey and Ryan Freel, how many of you are happy with those extensions now?

Although those extensions didn't work out, they were pretty cheap and if Brandon would agree to an extension that is that cheap I'd do it...

Stephenk29
12-09-2007, 06:59 PM
The Freel extension was the dumbest thing ever. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. Love the guy, but not a smart baseball move.

Orenda
12-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah but how often does one of those guys become a cult phenomenon and sell jerseys. That was/is the problem with Freel.

SMcGavin
12-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Although those extensions didn't work out, they were pretty cheap and if Brandon would agree to an extension that is that cheap I'd do it...

Haha well so would I, now if we could only brainwash Brandon and his agent to agree with us we'd be in great shape.

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Haha well so would I, now if we could only brainwash Brandon and his agent to agree with us we'd be in great shape.

I know... I'm being unrealistic but nobody ever specified an expensive LTC :D

mlbfan30
12-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Phillips could be the next Bill Hall LTC (08:$4.8M, 09:$6.8M, 10:$8.4M,
11:$9.25M)

Hall's 05/06 were better than BPs 06/07 by a good margin
Hall now is almost at replacement level and has an unmovable deal.

I would wait 1 more year before thinking about Phillips getting a LTC. Those hackers have a tendency to flame out quickly

SMcGavin
12-10-2007, 12:07 PM

I would wait 1 more year before thinking about Phillips getting a LTC. Those hackers have a tendency to flame out quickly

Wow is that really Bill Hall's contract? I think you are right in that Hall is a great comp for Phillips. And like you said, Hall had two seasons that were better than the breakout year BP just had before he got that deal. The Brewers better hope Hall rebounds this season or that is going to be a horrendous contract over its last three seasons.

*BaseClogger*
12-10-2007, 01:24 PM

great points

gedred69
12-10-2007, 04:26 PM
I got mixed emotions on this. He was highly touted, throughout B'ball, a little too cocky, and he had to thrown around a bit before he came to his expectations. He could well be the cornerstone for the next 5 years. (See little Joe makes big Reds go). The longer FO puts it off, the harder and higher the price tag. At the same time, not knowing for sure the $$ the reds are willing to have the payroll at, How big a chunk would a Phillips LTC be?

Handofdeath
12-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Phillips has to show he can duplicate his 2007 numbers for at least one more season before I would even think of doing a LTC. You have to make sure and even then there is no sure thing. The Griffey trade has shown that. With an organization like the Reds one bad contract can cripple a franchise.

Hondo
12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
The Reds have 3 more years to Play with. If he does a Chase Utley/Jimmy Rollins impression next year? Sign him to a LTC.

This Team has got to get serious about Starting Pitching. If the Reds think they can throw out Livingston in the 3 Hole and be Competetive, Management is Dead Wrong.

Cordero was a Good Sign. Now just trade for Santana with the Prospects that everyone wants, use the 72 Hour window to sign him to a 7 year Contract and go on with some Division Titles...

Thankya