PDA

View Full Version : Redszone Community Prospect Vote: #14

dougdirt
12-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #14 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
Prospect 13 - Sean Watson

WMR
12-09-2007, 12:29 PM
You can do it Carlos!! :D

camisadelgolf
12-09-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm going with Neftali Soto. His defense leaves a bit to be desired, but, man, he can flat-out rake.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/index.jsp?mc=soto

gedred69
12-09-2007, 02:16 PM
I voted Waring. He showed so much power, etc. this past season.
Wish I could go Fisher, but he kinda' slowed progressing. Again, it would be really nice to hear from people in Mustang territory that have actually seen guys like Waring, Bartles, etc. Evaluating Rookie league players---or for that matter players in any league, from reputation or stat sheets only isn't all that telling. There are a lot of factors that can lead to false evaluations, good or bad.

mth123
12-09-2007, 02:59 PM
I still have Rosales next on my list (#7 actually) so he is my vote. I have Fisher after him (#10 but the next highest guy left) and Fisher is my official sleeper for the last couple years so if he wins that's ok too.

GoReds33
12-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Waring has to win sometime. Until then, I'll keep voting for him.

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 05:39 PM
hey Doug,
what makes Francisco and Waring different?
Thanks

AmarilloRed
12-09-2007, 06:02 PM
I vote for Carlos Fisher

Mario-Rijo
12-09-2007, 06:31 PM
This is getting crazy, I gotta step up my support of Viola. This guy needs to be voted in at this point.

Come on guys give this kid the credit he deserves.

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 11:03 PM
This is getting crazy, I gotta step up my support of Viola. This guy needs to be voted in at this point.

Come on guys give this kid the credit he deserves.

hard to vote for a promising reliever over a promising starter...

icehole3
12-10-2007, 06:52 AM
Voting for Waring until he wins, 50 homers is 50 homers any way you look at it.

gedred69
12-10-2007, 08:17 PM
hey Doug,
what makes Francisco and Waring different?
Thanks

Hard to compare Rookie league vs. Low A. Similar HR #s, SO ratio. RBI% a little higher to Waring. BB, SLG, OBP, and significantly higher BA-Waring. Too early to tell, as I stated, hard to compare. What were Fransisco's Rookie league #'s? Did he improve at Low A, stay the same, or drop?

*BaseClogger*
12-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Hard to compare Rookie league vs. Low A. Similar HR #s, SO ratio. RBI% a little higher to Waring. BB, SLG, OBP, and significantly higher BA-Waring. Too early to tell, as I stated, hard to compare. What were Fransisco's Rookie league #'s? Did he improve at Low A, stay the same, or drop?

but to me it seems the bottom line is both are powerful but don't make a whole lot of contact and arn't very good defenders... maybe doug has a more scouting perspective...

Betterread
12-10-2007, 10:14 PM
but to me it seems the bottom line is both are powerful but don't make a whole lot of contact and arn't very good defenders... maybe doug has a more scouting perspective...
While Francisco is not a polished fielder at the moment, he has the tools (cannon arm, quick first step, good hands) to be a good 3b. These are the tools Encarnacion had - except he moved off SS to 3b - he has better footwork than Francisco at the same age.

Mario-Rijo
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM
hard to vote for a promising reliever over a promising starter...

Do you think Fisher (I assume that's who you mean) has a higher ceiling as a starter (or even a reliever) as Viola does as a reliever? I don't, of course a starter has more worth. But what is more important an impact LH set-up man or a solid #4 or 5 starter? That is sorta how I see those at their bests and if so I would rather have that LH set-up man because I feel it's harder to get one than the #4 or 5 starter.

Kc61
12-11-2007, 12:27 AM

Folks seem to be ignoring Francisco's youth. He is only 20 and won't be 21 until next June. Yet he played at a higher level than did Waring, a college player, this year and hit 25 homers.

mlbfan30
12-11-2007, 12:29 AM
A #4, #5 starter is very valuable, especially if they go deep into games. Look at how many bad pitchers the Reds started over the last 3-4 years. If they had a dependable #4,#5 that would have helped a lot. A LH impact setup guy is useful, but not as important. If your talking about a #4,#5 and star closer type numbers, then that would be different

mlbfan30
12-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Waring was picked last year, you can't fault him for playing at a lower level.

camisadelgolf
12-11-2007, 02:21 AM
If you want to pick a toolsy corner position player, I'd go with Nefi Soto over Juan Francisco or Brandon Waring. Nefi Soto is still raw (like the other two), but he strikes out the least of the three and walks about as much as Waring. On top of that, he's the youngest, and he has already shown a willingness to hit opposite field while Brandon Waring has been a pull hitter.

Kc61
12-11-2007, 09:44 AM
If you want to pick a toolsy corner position player, I'd go with Nefi Soto over Juan Francisco or Brandon Waring. Nefi Soto is still raw (like the other two), but he strikes out the least of the three and walks about as much as Waring. On top of that, he's the youngest, and he has already shown a willingness to hit opposite field while Brandon Waring has been a pull hitter.

Corner infielders who get 2 homers in the GCL project as utility infielders.

Soto is a good prospect, but he isn't a shortstop and isn't a power guy. I'll stick with Francisco who, at a similar age, hit 25 homers and 90 RBIs at a higher level.

camisadelgolf
12-11-2007, 10:10 AM

Soto is a good prospect, but he isn't a shortstop and isn't a power guy. I'll stick with Francisco who, at a similar age, hit 25 homers and 90 RBIs at a higher level.

I wouldn't call Brandon Phillips a power guy, but he just hit over 30 homeruns. I think as Soto's body matures (and there's plenty of time for that to happen), many of his line drive hits will become homeruns. He's 6'2", and at the moment, he has a slender frame. In five years, I expect him to project as a 30-40 homerun guy. People compare his body to Mike Lowell's. I really like his swing.

http://www.power-showcase.com/old/hosts/Finals_movies/Soto%20Web.wmv

dougdirt
12-11-2007, 12:53 PM

Hardly any 18 year olds are 'power guys'. As far as 'at a similar age', if you mean 2 years older, then yeah, it was a similar age, but thats not really true. Lets not forget when Francisco was 19, he hit all of 3 home runs in the GCL/PL.

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Do you think Fisher (I assume that's who you mean) has a higher ceiling as a starter (or even a reliever) as Viola does as a reliever? I don't, of course a starter has more worth. But what is more important an impact LH set-up man or a solid #4 or 5 starter? That is sorta how I see those at their bests and if so I would rather have that LH set-up man because I feel it's harder to get one than the #4 or 5 starter.

To me, LH setup men are failed #4 or #5 starters...