PDA

View Full Version : Which is better Alien or Aliens?

WMR
12-09-2007, 10:58 PM
I watched both recently... Alien is so atmospherically creepy and scary... Aliens is such an awesome thrill ride with some excellent scares as well. Which one is the better movie?

Caveat Emperor
12-09-2007, 11:32 PM
The atmosphere of "Alien" is somewhat ruined by the fact that the Alien creature is an almost inescapable piece of sci-fi pop culture. Half the effect of the movie is probably lost because the shock value of seeing how the creature operates, how it reproduces, and how it looks is gone.

Personally, I prefer "Aliens." It's just one of those movies I can watch whenever its on and enjoy.

Bip Roberts
12-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Both are pretty terrible

WMR
12-09-2007, 11:39 PM
The atmosphere of "Alien" is somewhat ruined by the fact that the Alien creature is an almost inescapable piece of sci-fi pop culture. Half the effect of the movie is probably lost because the shock value of seeing how the creature operates, how it reproduces, and how it looks is gone.

Personally, I prefer "Aliens." It's just one of those movies I can watch whenever its on and enjoy.

I try to imagine what it must have been like for movie-goers in 1979 seeing it for the first time on the big screen. :eek:

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Is Aliens the one with (however you spell si-gore-knee) Weaver?

WMR
12-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Is Aliens the one with (however you spell si-gore-knee) Weaver?

Sigourney is in both of them.

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Sigourney is in both of them.

ok well the one where she calls the queen alien a b*$%&?

KronoRed
12-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Aliens

For Private Hudson's lines alone.

KronoRed
12-09-2007, 11:56 PM
ok well the one where she calls the queen alien a b*$%&?

That would be Aliens

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 11:57 PM
That would be Aliens

ok that one wins!

MrCinatit
12-10-2007, 02:12 AM
I like them both. Both are great movies in their own rights, and are of almost completely different genres - Alien is more horror, while Aliens is straight up action.

However, is there a greater cast than in the first movie?

Roy Tucker
12-10-2007, 08:32 AM
I like them both. Both are great movies in their own rights, and are of almost completely different genres - Alien is more horror, while Aliens is straight up action.

However, is there a greater cast than in the first movie?

Yep. Alien is basically a haunted house story while Aliens is a gonzo Shootout at the OK Corral.

Raisor
12-10-2007, 08:42 AM
"They mostly come out at night. Mostly."

Aliens might be the best action movie of the 1980s.

WMR
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Any of the "old timers"--haha ;)--remember going to see either one in the theater?

I think especially Alien would have been such a trip to have seen without already having been bombarded with, as CE said, Alien pop-culture.

RFS62
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM
"Alien" was groundbreaking. A different kind of space movie where the ships were more believable. The characters weren't cleaned and pressed like on Star Trek, they were perfectly cast.

It was just so different, which made it all the more great, when it came out. Now, the effects are no big thing.

I love both movies. I can't say which is better. It's relative.

Roy Tucker
12-10-2007, 09:42 AM
Any of the "old timers"--haha ;)--remember going to see either one in the theater?

Yep, I saw it the first night it was released at the Dayton Mall Cinema (there was only one theater in those days).

Reviews had hinted at a shocking moment but nobody really knew about the chest-burster scene. Probably about half the theater screamed when it happened. My date about climbed into my lap (which wasn't such a bad thing).

This was all in the day before the intranets and the googles so movies could retain much of their "mystery" characteristics. Plus the previews didn't spoil the movie like they do now.

Johnny Footstool
12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
"Aliens", thanks to the unequaled talents of Mr. Bill Paxton.

If you had HBO in the 80's, you could watch "Weird Science" immediately followed by "Aliens". It was as if Chet had joined the Space Marines and received a grisly comeuppance.

Raisor
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
"Aliens", thanks to the unequaled talents of Mr. Bill Paxton.

If you had HBO in the 80's, you could watch "Weird Science" immediately followed by "Aliens". It was as if Chet had joined the Space Marines and received a grisly comeuppance.

"That's it, game over man"

RFS62
12-10-2007, 10:42 AM
"That's it, game over man"

I was pulling for the Alien at that point

Raisor
12-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I was pulling for the Alien at that point

"Oh, you want some of this too, huh?"

Joseph
12-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Alien for me. I love horror, it was more horror.

M2
12-10-2007, 10:54 AM
"Alien" was groundbreaking. A different kind of space movie where the ships were more believable. The characters weren't cleaned and pressed like on Star Trek, they were perfectly cast.

It's a brilliant movie, a complete genre buster. "Aliens" is a blast, but the original is tour de force, digging into matters of humanity and the will to survive even in the most "alien' of conditions.

TeamCasey
12-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Whichever the first one was.