PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing it in

OldRightHander
12-10-2007, 09:14 PM
You know the situation. You and a friend, family member, or co-worker root for teams that are playing one another. If your team wins you are going to have fun the next day. If your team loses, you might want to try to avoid that person the next day. What are some ways you've rubbed it in, or some times you have been on the receiving end.

I have a friend who is a big Michigan fan and I root for the Bucks. The last few years have been rather fun for me, but I've toned it down a bit. Usually it's just a phone call during whatever point during the game the outcome is decided, but he got me good a couple times when Michigan won. One time he never called me that day, but he must have known that I often turn my cell phone off when I go to bed, because the next morning I turned it on to find a new voice mail, a recording of the Michigan fight song.

I used to work in an office with a diehard UC fan, season tickets and the whole nine yards. One morning after the Shootout, when the Muskies had won handily, I just left her a Three Musketeers bar on her desk. There was no note attached or anything, but she knew right away who did it and she was not the least bit amused.

15fan
12-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Not my style. What goes around has a funny way of coming back around.

My Michigan neighbors and I will occasionally trade a few good-natured barbs. And I'll of course ask the Braves fans things like - why in the world is Bobby Cox riding Glavine for 120+ pitches in September when the Braves are up on the 2nd place team by 20 games?

Much more of a "humble in victory, gracious in defeat" kind of guy, though.

Patrick Bateman
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
The only teams that I really care about are the Reds, Bengals, and Blackhawks. I'll let you know when I get the chance to give it a try.

Cedric
12-11-2007, 12:56 AM
I don't know many Michigan fans. I don't have much of a chance to rub it in. I would love rubbing it in to Steeler fans one day though. I don't care if they would say 5 to 1. That 1 would be enough for me.

dabvu2498
12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I live with it everyday.

I grew up a UK fan, but attended Vanderbilt. Yet somehow, I thought it was a good idea to marry a UT girl.

Generally speaking, she and I have a good time with it. I don't cringe when she wants to watch the Lady Vols, even. And I enjoy going to games at Neyland. *shudder*

But it's hard to see her UT stuff in the closet. Our son is not allowed to wear any team gear. We have three dogs, one wears a UT collar. I don't like that dog as much as I like the other two.

macro
12-11-2007, 12:19 PM
It certainly wasn't me, but I heard of a guy who sprayed grass killer in a U of L fan's front lawn in the shape of the letters "UK".

Joseph
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
The only teams that I really care about are the Reds, Bengals, and Blackhawks. I'll let you know when I get the chance to give it a try.

Those are three of my favorite 4 teams as well, Bulls being the other. So we can party when and if any of the 3 do something.

Joseph
12-11-2007, 12:42 PM
I live with it everyday.

I grew up a UK fan, but attended Vanderbilt. Yet somehow, I thought it was a good idea to marry a UT girl.

Generally speaking, she and I have a good time with it. I don't cringe when she wants to watch the Lady Vols, even. And I enjoy going to games at Neyland. *shudder*

But it's hard to see her UT stuff in the closet. Our son is not allowed to wear any team gear. We have three dogs, one wears a UT collar. I don't like that dog as much as I like the other two.

I always heard Vandy people were supposed to be intelligent. You're the second example I have against that theory now.

Totally teasing you pal. ;)

dabvu2498
12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I always heard Vandy people were supposed to be intelligent. You're the second example I have against that theory now.

Totally teasing you pal. ;)

Oh no, it's OK. I'm totally brain dead.

Patrick Bateman
12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Those are three of my favorite 4 teams as well, Bulls being the other. So we can party when and if any of the 3 do something.

Sweet. At least you have the Bulls. The Blackhawks and Reds seem to be going in the right direction.

SeeinRed
12-11-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm not one to rub things in, but I'm not one who just takes the abuse from other fans either. I'm kind of a smart a** because I can come up with quick clever responses so people don't mess with me too much if they know me. The funny thing is that a. knowing that people who make fun of your teams aren't really saying anything that is really serious and always leave themselves open to rebuttle, and b. they aren't always the smartest people around, (usually casual sports fans that have no idea how seriously I take sports), they don't expect to be burned. A common example is that UK fans always wanted to tell me you cant spell suck without UC. I don't have to point out the flaw in their ways to you because most people on here are very intelligent. Simply saying well then what if you take out UK would just blow their minds. Or mention that there is a UC in success and no UK or one of a million possibilities. Thats a simple one though. Real simple.

Another easy one is when I tell somebody I don't like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. They always say, its just because they are good. I always say yeah exactly. They never have a response to that. Its easy to root for a good player/team. Not so much for a team like the Reds or Bengals. The truth for me and most people like me isn't that I think Peyton is too cocky or Tom Brady is too much of a pretty boy. The truth is that I don't like them because they play for another team and they are good. Not liking another player just because he is good is perfectly acceptable because that can affect my team's success. Not liking another team obviously falls into the same category. My team's success depends on the failure of others.

I hate people who like to point out that UC has a problem with criminals. Every college does. UK does, OSU does, every team does. Why? Because they are 18-23 ish kids and some of them are "thugs" because they play into the whole street lifestyle. You have those everywhere. It doesn't have to be "street" lifestyle, it could be "redneck" lifestlye or "trailer trash" lifestyle, whatever. Peope tend to be proud of where they come from and repeat the behavior. Not everybody, and I would say even a minority play into that, but they have some on every team. Talent is not dependent on lifestyle.

I like good rivalries though. XU fans tend to be classy with their criticism. Not all, but most. I would like to have UC/UK basketball games every year. Could you imaging the hype? I would love to see UC and OSU play football regularly also. I have always wanted that, but now it could actually be a rivalry game with UC gaining some steam. Reds/Indians could be fun, but it isn't as great as they make it out to be. I would love to see more hype around it though. In reality, the Reds best shot for a rivalry would have to be in their division. Bengals and Steelers isn't where it should have been this year because of the Bengal's lack of success.

Sorry, I got a little off topic. I enjoy a little playful rubbing in even when it is directed at my team, but you better know what you are talking about. I don't like casual fans just saying something because they want to appear to be a sports person. You know, the Bengals fan who wears a jersey just because everyone else does and it looks cool. They are the ones in the bar just hanging out because thats where everyone else is. They will make pedistrian comments like, "Chris Henry should be cut" or say that if they were the coach they would put in the backup players on defense to show them that if they don't want to play, they will be benched. I hate those people. For some reason I think they insult true fans that were really dissapointed back when the bengals weren't on TV every Sunday. You would always wait for the announcement of wether not they sold enought tickets to be on TV. I actually loved away games because they were always on. I am young, so I haven't suffered near as much as some of you, but man those people tick me off. They are even worse the fans of other teams. /Rant over.

I guess my point is that I don't like rubbing things in and if you want to rub somethin in on me, you better make it clever. If somebody does something to me Maybe its because I don't have much to rub in, but I just don't do it unless provoked.