PDA

View Full Version : Do spouses pack your lunch for work??

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I had a coworker giving me grief the other day when he found out per our conversation that my wife packs my lunch. He thought there was something comical about it?!? I don't ask her to and she packs it everyday...is there anything odd about this??

Redhook
12-10-2007, 10:35 PM
A little odd and very lucky. Your coworker is jealous, as am I. I hate packing my lunch.

redsmetz
12-11-2007, 05:30 AM
When my wife and I were first married, I usually packed her lunch, particularly after our daughter was born. Now (some 26 years later) occasionally will make it for her if she's rushed. I'm self-employed, so I've generally got the time. She can't make mine because my office is three blocks from home and I come back for lunch.

12-11-2007, 08:19 AM
I pack my own. I would rather have it that way, so I have exactly what I want. Besides, if she packed it, she would see how dirty my lunch box is.

Raisor
12-11-2007, 08:23 AM
My wife usually packs my lunch. She's awesome.

edabbs44
12-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Buy lunch every day. Friggin expensive, especially in Manhattan. But just ends up to be easier.

OldRightHander
12-11-2007, 08:59 AM
My wife packs mine sometimes, when I manage to get home on a weekend. Here's the rub. When she packs mine, she's packing food for the entire week all at one time, lunch and supper for the next seven days or so. Sometimes I'll pack it, but sometimes I'll be watching football on Sunday afternoon and she'll be puttering away in the kitchen putting all of it together. That's quite an undertaking, packing enough food for a whole week on the road. I do appreciate it.

gonelong
12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
If she is packing your lunch so that she can put what she wants you to eat in it, rather than what you want to eat, then you have a problem.

Otherwise count yourself among the lucky.

I don't care for packing my lunch. My wife doesn't seem to mind. If she packs me a lunch I take it ... if not I eat out.

GL

OldRightHander
12-11-2007, 09:39 AM
If she is packing your lunch so that she can put what she wants you to eat in it, rather than what you want to eat, then you have a problem.

I still buy the food I'm going to take with me. If it was up to her, I'd probably be a rabbit the whole week.

RichRed
12-11-2007, 09:42 AM
I usually pack my own lunch but often it's some tasty leftovers from dinner my wife made the night before so really, she's done most of the work.

westofyou
12-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I do all the cooking in my house, if we decide to forgo dinner (IE every man for himself) my wife waits to see what I'll do before she attempts to do something, in her words... you cooking? I'll tag along.

durl
12-11-2007, 10:08 AM
It's not odd at all. My wife packs my lunch almost every time (usually 3-4 days a week). She asks me what I want and packs it the night before. She's a good woman.

SunDeck
12-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Yep, and in one of these, everyday:

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50338305/Tin_Lunchbox.jpg

TeamSelig
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Coworker is lame. Nothing wrong with it.

15fan
12-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Nope. I pack it. Or I pick up something quick when I can. Or I just skip lunch.

Nice gesture on your wife's part. Undoubtedly there are many others. Probably some nice things you do for her, as well. That's kind of the whole essence of a friendship / relationship.

Roy Tucker
12-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah, about a year ago, I added up how much I was spending for eating out every day for lunch. Ka-ching :eek:.

So my wife packs my lunch now along with my 2 daughter's lunches. My girls actually prefer her bagged lunches to school-bought food.

Menu today is PB+J, a bag of pomegranate kernels, and carrots and celery. If we have left-overs from dinner, I get those a lot too. Good stuff. :thumbup:

Works out much better than spending $5-10 a day on lunching out.

Yachtzee
12-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah, about a year ago, I added up how much I was spending for eating out every day for lunch. Ka-ching :eek:.

So my wife packs my lunch now along with my 2 daughter's lunches. My girls actually prefer her bagged lunches to school-bought food.

Menu today is PB+J, a bag of pomegranate kernels, and carrots and celery. If we have left-overs from dinner, I get those a lot too. Good stuff. :thumbup:

Works out much better than spending $5-10 a day on lunching out.

I switched to packing because of the money too. Since starting in October, I've also dropped 13 lbs. Of course I don't expect my wife to make it for me. My household runs much in the same way WOY's does. I do all the cooking, unless it involves the microwave or a grilled cheese sandwich.

WebScorpion
12-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I do about 90% of the cooking in our house. My wife is a great cook, but it's a passion of mine (Steak & Guinness Pie tonight!) and she loves to eat my cooking. I usually pack my lunch, but I go out for lunch once a week. She sometimes will put a surprise cookie or apple or something in the bag after I pack it, along with a little note. IMO, there's nothing wrong with your wife packing your lunch for you...as long as she doesn't lay out your clothes the night before too. :D In that case, you're just another one of her children. :help:

redsfan1966
12-11-2007, 08:30 PM
I dont usually get to eat lunch...you all are lucky.

Handofdeath
12-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Menu today is PB+J, a bag of pomegranate kernels, and carrots and celery.

You must weigh about 120. My God man, where is the grease? Where is the refined sugar? This just isn't right.

Caveat Emperor
12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I eat out just about every day at work -- usually grabbing a sandwich at someplace like Silverglades or PJ's Deli near the courthouse.

It really adds up in terms of cost, but I've never eaten a bagged lunch (even one that I prepared) that wasn't bland or uninteresting.

Plus, I like getting out of the office/court and walking around.

SunDeck
12-12-2007, 08:54 AM
I eat out just about every day at work -- usually grabbing a sandwich at someplace like Silverglades or PJ's Deli near the courthouse.

It really adds up in terms of cost, but I've never eaten a bagged lunch (even one that I prepared) that wasn't bland or uninteresting.

Plus, I like getting out of the office/court and walking around.

I used to go to PJs at least once a week when I worked downtown. Ever ask them what PJ stood for?

Roy Tucker
12-12-2007, 09:39 AM
You must weigh about 120. My God man, where is the grease? Where is the refined sugar? This just isn't right.

Clearly, you have never seen Roy in all his avoirdupois glory. Multiply that 120 times 2 and that's more like it.

The spousal unit is trying to reduce some of that excess tonnage.

cincinnati chili
12-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Yup. I promised to eat nothing but salad 4 days/week at lunch if she packed it, so that's the deal. I eat out for lunch on the 5th day. usually Friday.

Handofdeath
12-13-2007, 01:10 PM
The spousal unit is trying to reduce some of that excess tonnage.

Same here. I appreciate why she's doing it but referring to me as "Elvis" isn't going to change my eating habits.

remdog
12-13-2007, 03:53 PM
An Irishman, a Mexican and a Redneck were doing construction work on the scaffolding of a tall building. They were eating lunch and the Irishman said, "Corned beef and cabbage! If I get corned beef and cabbage one more time for lunch, I'm going to jump off this building."

The Mexican opened his lunch box and exclaimed, "Burritos again! If I get burritos one more time, I'm going to jump off too.

"The Redneck opened his lunch and said, "Bologna again. If I get a bologna sandwich one more time, I'm jumping too."

Next day the Irishman opens his lunch box, sees corned beef and cabbage and jumps to his death.

The Mexican opens his lunch, sees a burrito and jumps too.

The Redneck opens his lunch, sees the bologna and jumps to his death as well.

At the funeral, the Irishman's wife is weeping. She says, "If I'd known how really tired he was of corned beef and cabbage, I never would have given it to him again!"

The Mexican's wife also weeps and says,"I could have given him tacos or enchiladas! I didn't realize he hated burritos so much.

"Everyone turned and stared at the Redneck's wife. "Hey, don't look at me," she said. "He makes his own lunch."

:)

Rem

Dom Heffner
12-15-2007, 03:30 PM
as long as she doesn't lay out your clothes the night before too.

Unless they are Garanimals, which saves everybody a ton of time.

pedro
12-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Unless they are Garanimals, which saves everybody a ton of time.

I went to college with the heir to the Garanimals "Fortune".

GAC
12-15-2007, 10:06 PM
I usually pack my own lunch but often it's some tasty leftovers from dinner my wife made the night before so really, she's done most of the work.

Same here.