PDA

View Full Version : Non- Tender Candidates

AmarilloRed
12-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Potential Non-Tenders

Here's a list of arbitration-eligible non-tender candidates. There will also be some zero-to-three players non-tendered and then often re-signed to minor league deals, but picking them out of the crowd is a more difficult exercise. Wednesday is the deadline to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players.

Likely: C Johnny Estrada (Mets), OF Craig Monroe (Twins), INF Felipe Lopez (Nationals), 3B Morgan Ensberg (Padres), OF Emil Brown (Royals), 1B Ben Broussard (Mariners), OF Kevin Mench (Brewers), C Miguel Olivo (Marlins), LHP Mark Hendrickson (Dodgers), LHP Horacio Ramirez (Mariners), LHP Neal Cotts (Cubs), OF Jason Lane (Padres), OF Cory Sullivan (Rockies), RHP Brendan Donnelly (Red Sox), LHP John Parrish (Mariners), LHP Wilfredo Ledezma (Padres), RHP Greg Aquino (Brewers), RHP Seth McClung (Brewers), RHP Grant Balfour (Rays), RHP Dave Borkowski (Astros), C Eric Munson (Brewers), RHP Brandon Duckworth (Royals), RHP Ryan Wagner (Nationals)

Of the first eight hitters on the list, Lopez and Brown probably have the best chances of survival. The Nationals are publically talking about keeping Lopez and putting him back at second base, though that may only be in the hopes of generating more interest in him. He's due $4 million-$4.5 million in his final year of arbitration. I've long assumed Brown would go, but the Royals still have room for him in left field if they want to bring him back. They could do better for the $3.5 million he's likely to collect. … Ramirez needs to get back to the NL if he's going to have a shot at putting his career back together. There should be plenty of interest, with Philadelphia possibly leading the way. … The Red Sox will probably non-tender and then re-sign Donnelly, who is expected to miss much of the season following Tommy John surgery.

Less Likely: 3B Joe Crede (White Sox), RHP Mark Prior (Cubs), RHP Akinori Otsuka (Padres), RHP John Patterson (Nationals), OF Xavier Nady (Pirates), OF Marcus Thames (Tigers), RHP Luis Ayala (Nationals), LHP Gustavo Chacin (Blue Jays), RHP Claudio Vargas (Brewers), RHP Josh Towers (Blue Jays), RHP Jorge Sosa (Mets), RHP Tim Redding (Nationals), RHP Chad Durbin (Tigers), OF Jason Tyner (Twins), OF Tike Redman (Orioles), OF Chris Snelling (Phillies), RHP Yhency Brazoban (Dodgers), RHP Vinnie Chulk (Giants), RHP Todd Coffey (Reds), RHP Tyler Yates (Braves), RHP Kyle Snyder (Red Sox), LHP Lenny DiNardo (Athletics), OF Jason Repko (Dodgers), INF Jason Smith (Royals), RHP Luke Hudson (Royals)

Crede and Prior might not have a lot of trade value, but they should fetch back a couple of lesser prospects apiece. Neither needs to be non-tended. … Otsuka's rehab from his elbow injury seems to be going well, so the Rangers will probably offer him a contract. That Eric Gagne signed elsewhere only makes that a more likely scenario. … Thames and Durbin would have qualified as big surprises a week ago, but with Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis on the roster, the Tigers need to free up money and have put both on the trading block. Thames, in particular, should have some trade value. … The Blue Jays have indicated they don't plan to non-tender any of their pitchers, even though Chacin and Towers figure to be long-shot rotation candidates at best. Chacin is eligible for arbitration for the first time, so it'll be worth $1 million or so to see if he can bounce back and contribute. Towers isn't worth keeping around at the $3 million-$3.5 million he's likely to command.

Already Dropped: OF Scott Podsednik (White Sox), INF Jose Castillo (Pirates), OF So Taguchi (Cardinals), INF Jorge Cantu (Reds), INF Alex Cintron (White Sox), OF Terrmel Sledge (Padres), RHP Julio Mateo (Phillies), LHP Dave Williams (Mets), RHP Chin-Hui Tsao (Dodgers), 1B Josh Phelps (Pirates), OF Willie Harris (Braves), OF Timo Perez (Tigers), OF David Newhan (Mets), RHP Lance Cormier (Braves), RHP Chad Paronto (Braves), OF Laynce Nix (Brewers)

I copied this list from Rotoworld(and from ORG). It gives us a good idea on who we can expect to be non-tendered on Dec.12.

ED44
12-11-2007, 01:03 AM
I think Morgan Ensberg would be a good righty off the bench and platoon at 1B...sorta filling the role I envisioned Cantu in.

Blue
12-11-2007, 04:18 AM
Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wagner to be non-tendered. That's 2/3 of what we sent the Nationals in The Trade. I think the other 1/3 is going to have his best season this year, if he gets to play in that crowded outfield out in Washington.

BEETTLEBUG
12-11-2007, 07:40 AM
ED44
Was you at Redsfest Saturday and what did you think? I agree with you about Ensberg what do you think about Ramirez from Mariners he is lefty ?

ChatterRed
12-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Julio Mateo if he's non-tendered. But I'm sure he will be.

HokieRed
12-11-2007, 08:38 AM
I can't imagine Nady will be non-tendered but I'd be happy to have him if he's not.

schmidty622
12-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Luis Ayala, Mark Prior, John Patterson, Claudio Vargas, Craig Monroe, Joe Crede, Morgan Ensberg, Ben Broussard, and Horacio Ramirez are all names that the Reds should look at if they go non-tendered.

mound_patrol
12-11-2007, 08:55 AM
Can someone explain to me what it means to be Non-tendered. Does that essentially make them a Free Agent or do they still belong to the team non-tendering them?

BEETTLEBUG
12-11-2007, 08:58 AM
It Makes Them Free.

ED44
12-11-2007, 10:06 AM
ED44
Was you at Redsfest Saturday and what did you think? I agree with you about Ensberg what do you think about Ramirez from Mariners he is lefty ?

I was there on Saturday only. It was the 1st one I had attended and came away very impressed...plus I finally got to meet ED, which was my primary goal this year. I will definitely go back next year though.

I heard the same rumors about the reunion in mid-November. Hopefully, that comes to fruition.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Ramirez either. It seems like the Braves know when to get rid of pitchers though.

Also, maybe take a look at Ledezma. I know he has been terribly bad, but I wouldn't mind taking a look at him.

BEETTLEBUG
12-11-2007, 11:08 AM
What would you trade for Josh Towers if we can't get AJ Burnett?

AmarilloRed
12-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Todd Coffey was on the "less likely" list. It surprised me a bit, but he really had a bad year last year.

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2007, 01:31 PM
There are a lot of servicable players on those lists. I see a couple candidates to play in a platoon at first in phelps, ensberg, and thames. If we are to trade Hamilton and Freel or any other 2 outfielders, we may need a RH platoon man: Brown, Nady, Thames, Mench, and Taguchi. There are some starters that could help: Vargas, Towers, Ramirez, Hendrickson. And finally, a few relievers I would give a looksy at during spring: Cotts, Ledezma, Aquino, and Mateo.

Miguel Olivo ain't a bad catcher either...

AmarilloRed
12-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Non-Tender Deadline

Midnight Wednesday marks baseball's non-tender deadline. That's when teams must choose whether to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players. If they don't offer a contract, the player is non-tendered and becomes a free agent. While Kevin Mench and Matt Wise were technically designated for assignment, they'll soon be non-tendered. I've added both to the free agent list and will continue to update it.

I remember it was not long ago when Mench was traded from the Rangers to the Brewers. It's hard to believe his career has reached the point where he would essentialy be released like this, but he has.

Bip Roberts
12-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Id be interested in Matt Wise maybe

Handofdeath
12-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Thankfully the Guillen signing means that Emil Brown probably will not be tendered. That is good. But there is still the Guillen signing. That is bad.

AmarilloRed
12-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Todd Coffey is signed for the 2008 season, so Rotoworld made a mistake there.

schmidty622
12-12-2007, 03:28 PM
If Prior goes non-tendered I think there is a rather good chance that he ends up here in cincy, his Baker connections and the new stance ownership is taking being the deciding factors.

AmarilloRed
12-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Today's Non-tenders

Tim's out for the night, so we've got a fresh post started for the non-tenders. These guys are the officials as of now:

* And here it is: Mark Prior is non-tendered.
* The Royals cut the cord on Emil Brown. He turns 33 soon; he hit an ugly .257/.300/.347 in 2007. Brown earned $3.45MM in '07.
* The Tigers non-tendered Chad Durbin, toss him into the free agent pool. Guess those trade talks with the Bucs didn't work out.
* The Twins have let go Jason Tyner.
* The Nats have cut bait with Nook Logan and LHP Michael O'Connor.
* The Dodgers wave goodbye to Mark Hendrickson.
* The White Sox have non-tendered Andy Gonzalez and LHP Heath Phillips. Joe Crede sticks with the Pale Hose for now.
* Adam Everett has lost his job with the Astros. It'd be kind of funny if the Orioles signed him.
* Per RotoWorld, the Angels have non-tendered Dallas McPherson. He's full of potential, but he's never come through. He's only 27, though, so he could still catch on somewhere. Unless, RotoWorld notes, he has an agreement in place with the Angels.
* The Braves have non-tendered Willie Harris, though he had already been DFA'd.

ED44
12-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Prior and McPherson (if he doesn't stay with the Angels) are 2 names I wouldn't mind seeing us take a look at. I have always like Mcpherson's potential, but he can't stay healthy.

mlbfan30
12-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Get Prior for a 2/8 and just hope he gets healthy. Look at it this way, would you rather have guys like Stanton/Corimer making 3-4M but taking up a roster spot and hurting the team, or a guy like Prior who you can stash away on the DL, but then have a very good pitcher when he pitchers. Thos fewer great innings are a lot better than those below replacement horrible innings taking up a roster spot

AmarilloRed
12-12-2007, 10:48 PM
I believe Stanton will be with the team unless he is traded. If he gets the 80+ appearances with another team after we release him, we will still be required to pay for the option year. A trade would make him someone else's problem. I would like to see what is in his medical report before we even consider signing Mark Prior.

AmarilloRed
12-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Padres non-tendered third baseman Morgan Ensberg, outfielder Jason Lane, RHP Jack Cassel and LHP Ryan Ketchner.
The two pitchers, neither of whom were eligible for arbitration, could be offered minor league deals. We still like Ensberg as a possible regular third baseman, though it seems few major league teams feel the same way. Perhaps the Twins will bring him in to compete for their opening. Lane figures to end up as a fourth or fifth outfielder somewhere. Dec. 12 - 10:22 pm et

hippie07
12-13-2007, 12:05 AM
What about Nook Logan... I remember liking him w/ the Nats' ... cheaper version of Cameron perhaps...? Thoughts?

AmarilloRed
12-13-2007, 12:57 AM
The final list of players non-tendered:

he players who became free agents when their teams did not offer 2008 contracts before Thursday's midnight ET deadline:

American League
Angels
Dallas McPherson, 3B

A's
Kiko Calero, RHP; Jose Garcia, RHP

Blue Jays
Josh Towers, RHP

Mariners
John Parrish, LHP

Rangers
Nick Gorneault, OF; Akinori Otsuka, RHP

Red Sox
Brendan Donnelly, RHP

Royals
Emil Brown, OF

Tigers
Chad Durbin, RHP

Twins
Jason Tyner, OF

White Sox
Andy Gonzalez, IF; LHP Heath Phillips

National League
Astros
Adam Everett, SS

Braves
Willie Harris, IF-OF

Brewers
Kevin Mench, OF; Matt Wise, RHP

Cardinals
Aaron Miles, 2B

Cubs
Mark Prior, RHP

Dodgers
Mark Hendrickson, LHP

Marlins
Miguel Olivo, C

Mets
Johnny Estrada, C; Ben Johnson, OF; Juan Padilla, RHP

Nationals
Nook Logan, OF; Mike O'Connor, LHP

Padres
Jack Cassel, RHP; Ryan Ketchner, LHP; Morgan Ensberg, IF; Jason Lane, OF

mlbfan30
12-13-2007, 12:58 AM
forgot Salmon...

thats right

AmarilloRed
12-13-2007, 01:13 AM
The 43 players who became free agents when their teams did not offer 2008 contracts before Thursday's midnight ET deadline:

American League
Angels
Dallas McPherson, 3B

A's
Kiko Calero, RHP; Jose Garcia, RHP

Blue Jays
Josh Towers, RHP

Mariners
John Parrish, LHP

Orioles
Cory Doyne, RHP; Roberto Novoa, RHP

Rangers
Nick Gorneault, OF; Akinori Otsuka, RHP

Red Sox
Brendan Donnelly, RHP

Royals
Emil Brown, OF

Tigers
Chad Durbin, RHP

Twins
Jason Tyner, OF

White Sox
Andy Gonzalez, INF; Heath Phillips, LHP

Yankees
T.J. Beam, RHP; Matt DeSalvo, RHP; Darrell Rasner, RHP; Bronson Sardinha, OF

National League
Astros
Adam Everett, SS

Braves
Willie Harris, OF

Brewers

Cardinals
Aaron Miles, 2B

Cubs
Mark Prior, RHP

Dodgers
Mark Hendrickson, LHP

Giants
Scott Munter, RHP

Marlins
Miguel Olivo, C

Mets
Johnny Estrada, C; Ben Johnson, OF; Juan Padilla, RHP

Nationals
Nook Logan, OF; Mike O'Connor, LHP

Padres
Jack Cassel, RHP; Morgan Ensberg, INF; Ryan Ketchner, LHP; Jason Lane, OF

Pirates
Brad Eldred, 1B; Brian Rogers, RHP

Reds
Jerry Gil, SS; Brad Salmon, RHP

Rockies
Sean Barker, OF; Darren Clarke, RHP

Salmon and Gil must have been released just before the deadline. I will not miss Gil, but I thought Salmon was one of the best young relievers the Reds had. This was a very questionable decision by Wayne Krivsky.

crazybob60
12-13-2007, 01:57 AM
From the lists above, I really like Mark Prior (this should be a no-brainer regardless of injury, if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out, with the SP in the shape it has been the last few years, we NEED to take a chance!)

Also I would look at Dallas McPherson. He is only 27 years old and supposedly has a lot of pop yet just hasn't developed yet. He plays 3B but I believe can also spell at 1B. It would give us an option if we want to try to trade Edwin...only negative is that he would be another left handed bat in the lineup.

Other names that really open my eyes are:

P-Josh Towers
P-Mark Hendrickson
RP-Akinori Otsuka, RHP
RP-Brendan Donnelly, RHP (can never get enough of a bullpen)
P-Darrell Rasner
RP-Matt Wise
C-Johnny Estrada (especially this guy...)
IF-Morgan Ensberg
OF-Jason Lane

Yesh, I know I have a lot on the list....but if I had to choose one and only one it would be Mark Prior. I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling about him this season and him doing something similar to what Carpenter did with the Cards a few years back!

Dallas McPherson and Mark Hendrickson would be 2nd and 3rd on my lists respectively but waaaaay, waaaaaay behind Prior. Geez, I didn't realize until just now how high I am on prior as of right now. He better be wearing Cincinnati Red next season!

schmidty622
12-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Yeah lets go out and pick up Johnny Estrada or Miguel Olivo RIGHT NOW. A catcher that can hit over .200 would be a big addition to our ball club. Both could be able to help but Johnny would be a great signing.

BEETTLEBUG
12-13-2007, 09:38 AM
What do we do with Ross and Valentin ?

schmidty622
12-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Cut the one who would be a worse backup catcher. Or do what they did last year and carry 3(an absolutely idiotic idea). But if your going to seriously compete you probably shouldn’t have a catcher that hits .203 in your everyday lineup. Johnny Estrada is a .280 career hitter and could probably match Ross' power numbers playing in GABP.

BEETTLEBUG
12-13-2007, 10:42 AM
What is Ross's contract for 2008?

Stephenk29
12-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Estrada and Olivo would be huge additions. Let Valentin go, he's a horrible defensive catcher. Shouldn't a back up at least be able to catch the ball? I'm sure will be able to find one solid pinch hitter after he's gone.

schmidty622
12-13-2007, 11:27 AM
David Ross Contract Per Rotoworld:

01/15/07: Signed two-year, $4.5 million contract w/2009 option. 2007: $1.6 million, 2008: $2.525 million, 2009: $3.5 million club option w/$375,000 buyout, 2010: Free Agent

and Javier Valentin

08/28/06: Signed one-year, $1.325 million extension w/2008 option. 2007: $1.25 million, 2008: $1.3 million club option w/$75,000 buyout

So getting rid of Valentin would hurt less but really if this front office is serious about contending this year, as they claim, they shouldn’t have a problem making a considerable upgrade from the two catchers that they have now to Johnny Estrada.

BEETTLEBUG
12-13-2007, 01:37 PM
I agree with you but we are not GM's

*BaseClogger*
12-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Ross is much better than Estrada defensively... how about we carry both and play Estrada if Ross can't amke contact again next year? Ross would be a good defensive backup...

schmidty622
12-13-2007, 04:24 PM
I agree with you but we are not GM's

We're not GM's sure, but its plain to see that Ross is not an everyday caliber catcher, that’s obvious whether your a GM or not.

If the Reds really want to win NOW and not just put fans in the seats then they would jump on this opportunity to upgrade the offensive production from their catcher spot, and they still may.

TN Red Fan
12-13-2007, 05:42 PM
The final list of players non-tendered:

Brewers

Kevin Mench would be a great pick-up that nobody would notice. I'd put him in a platoon with Griffey. Check out the 3-year splits....

Griffey
vs. LHP -- .236 / .317 / .419
vs. RHP -- .300 / .402 / .540

Mench
vs. LHP -- .305 / .361 / .558
vs. RHP -- .249 / .298 / .395

Not too shabby.

12-13-2007, 06:00 PM
We're not GM's sure, but its plain to see that Ross is not an everyday caliber catcher, that’s obvious whether your a GM or not.

If the Reds really want to win NOW and not just put fans in the seats then they would jump on this opportunity to upgrade the offensive production from their catcher spot, and they still may.

Completely disagree. Ross is a fine everyday catcher. Estrada is not.

Ross does what you need out of a catcher. Be the captain of the infield, handle pitchers, and throw out runners. If he has a weakness it is in blocking the plate, but he is better than many area too.

He has a terrible OBP, but most #8 hitters have a terrible OBP. Hitting in front of the pitcher will kill anyone's OBP. Anyway, if he kept his defense up and had a .000 OBP, I would want him over Estrada.

Estrada could hit, but was terrible in the field, in all aspects. Now he can't even hit. His OBP and SLG were almost the same as Ross', so there is no improvement there, and the Reds would be a much worse defensive team,

STAY AWAT FROM JOHNNY ESTRADA!!!! There is a reason why he was traded for nothing, and them let go.

TN Red Fan
12-13-2007, 06:02 PM
As far as catcher goes, I think we should inquire with Minnesota about Mike Redmond. He's too good of a hitter to be stuck behind Mauer.

12-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Kevin Mench would be a great pick-up that nobody would notice. I'd put him in a platoon with Griffey. Check out the 3-year splits....

Griffey
vs. LHP -- .236 / .317 / .419
vs. RHP -- .300 / .402 / .540

Mench
vs. LHP -- .305 / .361 / .558
vs. RHP -- .249 / .298 / .395

Not too shabby.

Agree. Mench would be a nice pick-up. He is exactly what the Reds need, a RH off the bench. It would take Dusty a lot of negotiating to get Griffey to agree to a platoon, but you are right, it would be for the best.
But if they pick up Mench, they need to trade Freel. No room for both.

TN Red Fan
12-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Agree. Mench would be a nice pick-up. He is exactly what the Reds need, a RH off the bench. It would take Dusty a lot of negotiating to get Griffey to agree to a platoon, but you are right, it would be for the best.
But if they pick up Mench, they need to trade Freel. No room for both.

If Griffey doesn't like it, what's he going to do, demand a trade? That would be a good thing! :D

Seriously, though, I'd drop Castro and keep Freel as an infielder. What do you need a defensive replacement for when you have Phillips and Gonzalez?

12-13-2007, 06:50 PM
If Griffey doesn't like it, what's he going to do, demand a trade? That would be a good thing! :D

Seriously, though, I'd drop Castro and keep Freel as an infielder. What do you need a defensive replacement for when you have Phillips and Gonzalez?

Good point. I always believe that you need a solid defensive backup SS, just in case. But with Kepp and Phillips, I think the Reds could get by and just call up whoever is at AAA if Gonzo is out for awhile like he was last year.

Orenda
12-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Kiki Calero is someone I'd be interested in. He had a down year last season after suffering through shoulder problems, but he has been very effective in the past. Should be able to be picked up for a reasonable price.

BEETTLEBUG
12-13-2007, 07:22 PM
A's re signed him.

BEETTLEBUG
12-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Ok less forget the Mitchell Report less get back to trade and signing talk.
DELETE ME HEAD MASTER.

Javy Pornstache
12-14-2007, 02:45 PM
From the lists above, I really like Mark Prior (this should be a no-brainer regardless of injury, if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out, with the SP in the shape it has been the last few years, we NEED to take a chance!)

Also I would look at Dallas McPherson. He is only 27 years old and supposedly has a lot of pop yet just hasn't developed yet. He plays 3B but I believe can also spell at 1B. It would give us an option if we want to try to trade Edwin...only negative is that he would be another left handed bat in the lineup.

Other names that really open my eyes are:

P-Josh Towers
P-Mark Hendrickson
RP-Akinori Otsuka, RHP
RP-Brendan Donnelly, RHP (can never get enough of a bullpen)
P-Darrell Rasner
RP-Matt Wise
C-Johnny Estrada (especially this guy...)
IF-Morgan Ensberg
OF-Jason Lane

Yesh, I know I have a lot on the list....but if I had to choose one and only one it would be Mark Prior. I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling about him this season and him doing something similar to what Carpenter did with the Cards a few years back!

Dallas McPherson and Mark Hendrickson would be 2nd and 3rd on my lists respectively but waaaaay, waaaaaay behind Prior. Geez, I didn't realize until just now how high I am on prior as of right now. He better be wearing Cincinnati Red next season!

Nice post. From your list, Towers would be a fine 4th-5th starter, but I'd imagine he'll go to a bigger ballpark with better defense than what the Reds can offer, just a hunch. I don't really get the Hendrickson love, I've seen him mentioned several times, not just here. Otsuka has a bum shoulder, otherwise Texas would've never non-tendered him. Donnelly was Mitchell'ed out yesterday. I like Rasner as Louisville filler, he's always had high upside but never quite got there yet with all his injuries. Wise was pretty shaky the second half of last year, but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him. No need for Estrada or Lane. Ensberg is the best fit for the Reds from the guys you singled out.

If Prior's medical charts jibe with the reviewers, I'd certainly take a chance on him; if his medical charts are good though, there will obviously be no shortage of teams gunning for him. McPherson is a good guy to take a chance on with all his buildup and pedigree - not saying he'll turn out the same, but similarly, the Twins discarded David Ortiz by non-tendering him, and the Red Sox have had quite a run with him as part of the lineup anchor.

A guy not listed here that was non-tendered that I like is Scott Munter of San Francisco. Has a really heavy sinkerball, a very lopsided GB-FB rate but SF never seemed to get much behind him. I'd rather take a chance on him than any other relief option out there now. I would like Ensberg and/or Kevin Mench as a right-handed option for the bench as well, and have another 1B option too. Ensberg's played it plenty, not sure Mench has, but I'm sure he could.

*BaseClogger*
12-14-2007, 02:49 PM
A guy not listed here that was non-tendered that I like is Scott Munter of San Francisco. Has a really heavy sinkerball, a very lopsided GB-FB rate but SF never seemed to get much behind him. I'd rather take a chance on him than any other relief option out there now. I would like Ensberg and/or Kevin Mench as a right-handed option for the bench as well, and have another 1B option too. Ensberg's played it plenty, not sure Mench has, but I'm sure he could.

That guy doesn't strike anybody out. Even if he gets mostly groundballs, they have to be fielded by our infield...