PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Johan Santana for Ellisbury

Redsnake
12-11-2007, 01:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NECA-300-SERIES-1-KING-LEONIDAS_W0QQitemZ320194774550QQihZ011QQcategoryZ3 48QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"The Twins were said to be leaning toward a package of Ellsbury, infield prospect Jed Lowrie and relief prospect Justin Masterson, with the sides haggling over a fourth player."

Ellisbury (no big surprise), an infield prospect, relief pitching prospect and a 4th prospect!!!!!
Really?!?!
The Reds can't come up with a better package?
If the Reds trade Hamilton and 3 prospects not named Votto, Bruce, Bailey and Cuerto, it would still be a better package then what the Twins are seeking from the RedSox. Plus the Twins wouldn't have to face him in the AL. One year of Santana would still be a good move for the Reds.

ChatterRed
12-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm more interested in what it sets the bar at for other pitchers we might acquire (that have 2-3 years left of club control).

I do agree that after all the hype it seems like very little based compared to what was going on last week.

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I believe the Twins value Ellsbury higher than Hamilton...

TheBigLebowski
12-11-2007, 02:06 PM
That's still a horrible offer. If that's all it takes, we need to throw our bright-red hats in the ring.

BEETTLEBUG
12-11-2007, 02:11 PM
I say go for it.

TC81190
12-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I just don't get all the big deal about Ellsbury. If that's seriously the breaking point in the deal for the Twins, just give him away, Boston.

Redsnake
12-11-2007, 03:24 PM
I say go for it.

Let's say the Reds make a deal like this.
Hamilton
(Minorleagueball.com Top 20 Reds prospects list)
#5 Todd Frazier
#6 Matthew Maloney
#8 Drew Stubbs
#16 Travis Wood

That too me is a greater trade offer than the Sox. Hamilton plus 4 top 10 Reds prospects.
Worst case scenario
1) Reds keep Bruce, Cuerto, Bailey, Votto
2) The Reds keep nearly all components on offense.
3) Reds attendance will increase due to excitement.
4) Reds lose Santana in FA, but get 2 picks in the top 50 in 2009 draft.
5) Reds get first shot at signing "The Best Pitcher in Baseball)

Best case scenario
1) Reds keep Bruce, Cuerto, Bailey, Votto :)
2) Santana loves Cincy and gets that $135M contract he wants.
3) Griffey's contract will be near the end so the money saved can help lessen pressure of Santana's deal.
4) The Reds staff will be the best in the NLC and could get even better (Cuerto/Bailey).

With one move Reds baseball improves on all levels (fan support/players support/economical support).

I too say go for it!!!

12-11-2007, 03:26 PM
I just don't get all the big deal about Ellsbury. If that's seriously the breaking point in the deal for the Twins, just give him away, Boston.

Completely agree. Although I do understand why Boston loves him. He was playing like an MVP in September, and had a great post season. He's very popular with Red Sox fans.

Still, his ceiling is a future Kenny Loften or Johnny Damon, and has better chance of being a future Dave Roberts or Juan Pierre. He is certainly not nearly as valuable as Santana, and never will be.

This might be a case of Epstein fooling the Twins. Saying that Elisbury is untouchable, to make him seem more valuable. It seemed to work.

My fear with the Reds trading for him, his is contract demands. The Reds can not afford a $25M player, no matter who he is. I think only the Red Sox and Yankees can afford him which is why his price is lower than expected.

ChatterRed
12-11-2007, 04:21 PM
If I were the Twins, I'd trade him to the NL and the Reds just so I don't have to face him again. Reds could offer a similar deal and probably better without getting hurt.

But the Reds won't be signing Santana. Just no way in my opinion.

steig
12-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Santana has a no trade clause and reportedly only will waive the clause if he is traded to Boston or New York

Vada Pinson Fan
12-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Yes that is very tempting (players we offer to Minnesota) and should make the Twins give it strong consideration BUT Santana has to sign long-term with the Reds and not just one year for me to give up those players.

Bip Roberts
12-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Santana has a no trade clause and reportedly only will waive the clause if he is traded to Boston or New York

That report was wrong last time i read something

AmarilloRed
12-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Check the Santana thread. I originally posted that report, but Santana publicly came out and said he was willing to be traded to any team.

steig
12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Sorry for my error

gedred69
12-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Let's say the Reds make a deal like this.
Hamilton
(Minorleagueball.com Top 20 Reds prospects list)
#5 Todd Frazier
#6 Matthew Maloney
#8 Drew Stubbs
#16 Travis Wood

That too me is a greater trade offer than the Sox. Hamilton plus 4 top 10 Reds prospects.
Worst case scenario
1) Reds keep Bruce, Cuerto, Bailey, Votto
2) The Reds keep nearly all components on offense.
3) Reds attendance will increase due to excitement.
4) Reds lose Santana in FA, but get 2 picks in the top 50 in 2009 draft.
5) Reds get first shot at signing "The Best Pitcher in Baseball)

Best case scenario
1) Reds keep Bruce, Cuerto, Bailey, Votto :)
2) Santana loves Cincy and gets that $135M contract he wants.
3) Griffey's contract will be near the end so the money saved can help lessen pressure of Santana's deal.
4) The Reds staff will be the best in the NLC and could get even better (Cuerto/Bailey).

With one move Reds baseball improves on all levels (fan support/players support/economical support).

I too say go for it!!!

If this could happen, I'm all for it. We keep hearing about Dusty's attraction to players, time to play that card. If he gets the Reds in the Series, with the young up-coming talent he may be inclined to re-sign, even if it is an un-fathomable sum. Santana is IMO the best pitcher in Baseball.