PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one...

mole44
12-11-2007, 08:18 PM
That would rather develop our prospects than trade them away? We were all complaining for years that our farm was bare, now that we have some talent there, everyone seems to be quick to trade it away. I want to win as much as the next guy, but I'd gladly sacrifice next season for some longevity. I don't want to compete for a season or two, I wanna go on a Oakland type run where we get to the postseason for a decade.

Bailey had mixed results this season, but did show flashes. According to him, he fixed a mechanical problem and is back on track. Cueto pitched well in his short at AAA and Krivsky has said that Cueto will get invited to ST, so he has a chance to contribute sooner rather than later. We'll see Bruce later next season, about the time Griffey starts needing more days off.

You'd have Votto and Phillips on the right side of the infield and Gonzo/Kepp and EE on the left side. Solid defensively and excellent offensively. In the outfield you'd have Dunn (no way they don't sign him to an extension), Hamilton, and Griffey. With Bruce to back them up, along with Hopper. Dunn is no gold glover, and Griff is aging, but with Hamilton and Bruce in there, the D would still be pretty solid. Can anyone honestly say that an outfield of Dunn/Hamilton/Bruce doesn't make you the least bit aroused?

Now obviously Bruce, Bailey, Cueto and Votto are still for the most part, unproven. But I would much rather wait on those 4, than trade 2 or 3 of them for one player. But then again, maybe thats just me.........

mroby85
12-11-2007, 08:39 PM
i have mixed feelings, but i highly doubt that you're the only one. I see upsides to both ways of going about it. I would mainly stick with the prospects, but i've grown impatient over the last several years, and tend to say go for it now, but really i'll be content either way.

Bip Roberts
12-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Ill be content either way

BEETTLEBUG
12-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I agree with you on development but the Big 4 should of been brought up in September 1 to see what we had.

HokieRed
12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
I don't mind seeing some of our prospects traded; that's what you have to do to fill out the team. But I think people on these boards are way too willing to start doing that too early. It's perfectly understandable; they're hungry for a winner, and they heard all the crap that Jimbo put out year after year about building etc. (when he wasn't actually building anything and most of his prospects were not nearly as good as he wanted people to think) But, as I see the team, I think right now is the time to be patient and to recognize that finally--thanks to both O'Brien and Krivsky--we do have some real prospects. IMHO, though, the team is not just one starting pitcher, however good, away from competing to win the World Series. So this is precisely when patience is necessary.

NorrisHopper30
12-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Ill be content either way
This is how I feel as well.

It can turn out well either way.

UPRedsFan
12-11-2007, 09:23 PM
I'd be ok with trading Hamiton or Votto if it's a package for starting pitching (especially with the surplus of LH slugging on this team), but I tend to agree. I'm not in favor of trading away the best 2 pitching prospects since Rijo and a small market team should really not trade the best prospect in the minors. Too much future is at stake for 1 or 2 years of success.

AccordinglyReds
12-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Especially if it's not for a really good pitcher, I'd rather take chances with the young players. :)

gedred69
12-11-2007, 09:36 PM
I agree with you on development but the Big 4 should of been brought up in September 1 to see what we had.

Totally agree. Only Votto should have been brought up even sooner than he was. I watched him rake in ST last year through several games, and it was like, my God, this guy's got nothing left to prove in the minors. His slow start at Louisville was nothing more than frustration, "what have I got to do to prove I'm a big leaguer"? I'm tired of hearing how Bailey was rushed. If his head is screwed on straight he learned so much last year that he has to be better for it. As it turned out, Bruce definitely should have been a Sept. call up. The crap about, well he's got a full slate post-season turned out to be for nothing. If he goes through ST like Votto last year and proves he is MLB ready, yet doesn't come north, expect him to be likewise frustrated. Rick Sweet said his development reminded him of Griffey Jr. in the 1 year he spent in the Minors. He should know better than anyone, he coached Griffey that 1 season. He begged the FO to give him Bruce. They relented and said it's only until you get some guys off the DL. The rest is now history....

AdamDunn
12-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I completely agree with you. I'm really sick of reading complaints that we haven't traded someone in the big four for starting pitcher.

AmarilloRed
12-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I also agree. I have always posted that we should let our young prospects develop. The Reds to be a successful organization has to keep their young prospects cheap as long as they can. Our farm system has finally developed to the point where we can afford to trade a piece or two, but there is no need to bleed the farm system for one player.

Stephenk29
12-12-2007, 12:04 AM
I agree with the developing young players, but like a lot of people I think I get swarmed up in the win now cause we've been bad for so long mentality.

Vada Pinson Fan
12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Krivsky and Castellini fixed the major hole in the Reds with the signing of Francisco Cordero (aka CoCo) and not to many teams can field a starting rotation of Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Cueto as their front 4. Even Belisle at #5 should do. A little tinkering i.e. trades in the middle relief department and we are set for 2008. If Bailey and Cueto struggle, well, that's ok b/c it will build their character and be stronger for it in 2009.

I'm with the majority here: Keep the kids!!! Get those much discussed pitchers when they become free agents.

Orenda
12-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I'm not above trading some of these guys as long as Castellini commits to restocking the talent in the farm system. I'd hate it if they let these guys go for established players and then didn't up their draft and scouting budgets to get the best players to fill in the system. It seems like the reds have a history of developing a decent surplus of young talent in the minors every few seasons but then they don't continue to feed the system to produce consistent talent year in and year out. This isn't anything new, if the reds are going to compete long-term they have to get a steady infusion of young talent through their farm system.