PDA

View Full Version : 5 yr old Crockett Descendant kills bear

Mario-Rijo
12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
All I can say is wow, let's just hope this kid understands and appreciates gun safety and the use of common sense! Click on the link for video.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?id=3150157

5-year-old descendant of Davy Crockett kills bear
Tre Merrit bags 445-pound black bear while hunting with grandfather
By Heather Crawford
Updated: December 11, 2007, 5:43 PM ET

5-year-old kills 445-pound bear. Courtesy of KATV Little RockDEWITT, Ark. A 5-year-old Arkansas County boy killed a black bear Sunday weighing more than 400 pounds.

Tre Merritt, a descendant of Davy Crockett, was hunting with his grandfather Mike Merritt when a black bear happened upon their stand.

"His 10th great-grandfather was Davy Crockett," Mike Merritt said. "And Davy supposedly killed him a bear when he was three. And Tre is five and really killed a bear. I really doubt if Davy killed one when he was three."

Mike Merritt was in the stand at the time but said Tre did it all by himself.

"He came in about 40 to 50 yards," Mike Merritt said of the black bear, "and when he got in the open, I whistled at him and he stopped and I said, 'Shoot Tre.'"

Tre confirmed his grandfather's account.

"I was up in the stand and I seen the bear," Tre Merritt said. "It came from the thicket and it was beside the road and I shot it."

At first, Mike Merritt didn't think Tre had hit the bear with his youth rifle.

"I said, 'Tre, you missed the bear,' " Mike Merritt said. "He said, 'Paw-paw I squeezed the trigger and I didn't close my eyes. I killed him."'

The bear turned out to be 445 pounds 12 times the weight of Tre. Mike Merritt said tears rolled down his cheeks when he found out his grandson killed the enormous bear.

Tre Merritt's father, Wheatley, said he began teaching his son to shoot when he was just 2 years old, and said Tre killed three deer last year.

Wheatley Merritt said the family plans to get a life-sized mount of the bear, but where they will put has yet to be determined.

DeWitt is in rural eastern Arkansas, close to the Mississippi River bottoms and near Stuttgart, the Duck Hunting Capitol of the World.

Frontier hero
Davy Crockett was a celebrated 19th-century American folk hero, frontiersman, soldier and politician; usually referred to as "King of the Wild Frontier". He represented Tennessee in the U.S. House of Representatives, served in the Texas Revolution, and died at the age of 49 at the Battle of the Alamo.

Crockett passed through Arkansas on his way from Tennessee to Texas in 1835. While at a Little Rock (Pulaski County) banquet given in his honor, he reportedly stated, "If I could rest anywhere it would be in Arkansas, where the men are of the real half-horse, half-alligator breed such as grow nowhere else on the face of the universal earth but just around the backbone of North America."

Robert Crockett, one of Davy Crockett's grandsons, became the first mayor of Stuttgart (Arkansas County) after the town incorporated in 1889. The village of Crockett's Bluff (Arkansas County) was named in honor of Robert Crockett.

pedro
12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not sold on the idea of teaching a 2 and half year old how to shoot a gun. But that's just how I roll.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-11-2007, 10:50 PM
so a kid aimed a gun at a large animal and squeezed the trigger,killing the animal...what am i missing?

Handofdeath
12-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not sold on the idea of teaching a 2 and half year old how to shoot a gun. But that's just how I roll.

I totally agree. There are plenty of adults who can't be trusted with a weapon much less a 2 year old. My 19 year old son can shoot and his grandfather taught him around the time he hit 1st Grade which I think is about right. Of course, now he won't shoot because he's a hippie. And that is alright too.

camisadelgolf
12-12-2007, 03:56 AM

Normally, I'd agree with you, but we're talking about a descendent of Davy Crockett. I think we need to breed him with a descendent of Annie Oakley and see what happens. Terrorism might end forever.

redsmetz
12-12-2007, 05:58 AM
Normally, I'd agree with you, but we're talking about a descendent of Davy Crockett. I think we need to breed him with a descendent of Annie Oakley and see what happens.

It strikes me as an awful lot of generations for Davy Crockett to be the kids "10th great grandfather". They must have kids when they're real young, because just counting my own family, if I had a grandkid that age, I count back only five, maybe six generations to get back to when Crockett was born.

And I agree with the earlier comment, what on earth is anyone doing allow a child that young to use a gun? I can't imagine its even legal, but that doesn't generally stop people.

MrCinatit
12-12-2007, 07:26 AM
so a kid aimed a gun at a large animal and squeezed the trigger,killing the animal...what am i missing?

Maybe the bear had a bigger gun?

SunDeck
12-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Shooting a black bear is not the biggest challenge in the world. With the exception of a mother protecting her cubs, they are about the most docile , unsuspecting creatures in the wild and unlike deer, they are quite unlikely to spook when they smell humans. You can get closer to a black bear than you can a deer because they know you are there, but just don't care.
My wife has relatives who are guides in the Cascades and just about all of them have stories of nearly bumping into black bears while out hiking. Poor thing was probably just foraging for berries.

If the kid shot a charging Grizzly, now that'd be a feat.

Handofdeath
12-12-2007, 09:50 AM
It strikes me as an awful lot of generations for Davy Crockett to be the kids "10th great grandfather". They must have kids when they're real young, because just counting my own family, if I had a grandkid that age, I count back only five, maybe six generations to get back to when Crockett was born.

And I agree with the earlier comment, what on earth is anyone doing allow a child that young to use a gun? I can't imagine its even legal, but that doesn't generally stop people.

Crockett was born in 1786 so that's 221 years ago. Simple math and common sense tells you that, while possible, the grandfather is more than likely full of crap.

Johnny Footstool
12-12-2007, 10:33 AM
The bear turned out to be 445 pounds — 12 times the weight of Tre. Mike Merritt said tears rolled down his cheeks when he found out his grandson killed the enormous bear.

Ah, the pleasures of watching a child grow up. The day he says his first word; the day he takes his first step; the day he first kills something simply because he can...

westofyou
12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Ah, the pleasures of watching a child grow up. The day he says his first word; the day he takes his first step; the day he first kills something simply because he can...

Living in America.....

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-12-2007, 11:25 AM
I am not a PETA nut but I am just not a big hunting fan...to spend hundreds of dollars on all the guns/clothing/ammo/extra etc... walk in the middle of nowhere then essentially hide somewhere until a animal walks in to your line of fire-pull a trigger then high five your buddy until your blue in the face...the machismo that goes along with it is just absurd--hey this huge animal just walked right into my scope and i pulled the trigger what a man I am..sheesh

will5979
12-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I am not a PETA nut but I am just not a big hunting fan...to spend hundreds of dollars on all the guns/clothing/ammo/extra etc... walk in the middle of nowhere then essentially hide somewhere until a animal walks in to your line of fire-pull a trigger then high five your buddy until your blue in the face...the machismo that goes along with it is just absurd--hey this huge animal just walked right into my scope and i pulled the trigger what a man I am..sheesh

Normally I don't get involved but people have touched a nerve here...

There is much more to hunting than that stereotype. There is nothing like the rush of adrenaline and the feeling of man vs. nature when stepping into the woods. It is VERY challenging, and damn right it is very masculine, where I come from if you are a man and don't hunt people might tend to think you are weird. Try hunting squirrells with a .22 long rifle instead of a .12 gauge. Trust me, I've been hunting for the majority of my life and have only killed 4 deer, of course I COULD have killed many more but I a head-hunter (big racked bucks) rather than shooting a deer just to say I killed a deer; besides deer are the dumbest, most worthlest animals on earth, just look at how they destroy cars. Be glad that hunters are in the hills to maintain their population, that is if you like having a car that isn't destroyed.

As far as shooting goes, it is our God given red blooded American right. My grandfather let me shoot my first gun when I was 3, bought my Red Ryder BB gun for me one Christmas, and my other one bought my first real gun for me when I was 11. Both my grandfathers are gone now but I have nothing but great memories of our bonding with them showing me how to handle a firearm and the ways of the woods. I pride myself on the fact that if society ever fails us I for one can live off the land...how many of you can say that?

Joseph
12-12-2007, 11:50 AM

I hunt. Yes there is a degree of that sort of bravado involved. My brother in law and I trade our stories about who saw more or who saw the bigger critter on a given day, but [and not to go all Ted Nugent here] I use the animal for food. I mostly hunt deer and very much enjoy venison. I use it for burger, I use it for steak, I use it for stew, I use it for roasts. Very little goes to waste and despite all the other things that go with hunting, I primarily do it for the food.

Roy Tucker
12-12-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm not defending any of this, but there are places in the US where hunting is truly integrated into the life and the culture of the area. I spent some time down in the rural Louisiana/Arkansas area in a previous life and I never ate so much deer, rabbit, and squirrel in my life. These people aren't thrill-seeking hunters.

Shooting a bear doesn't seem like great sport, but I guess they viewed this as a rite of passage kind of thing.

Personally, I'm not a hunter. I hunted when I was a teenager and shot a deer when I was 17. I guess I'm a big wuss, but I found the experience almost shattering. That's the last time I killed anything bigger than a bug. Not a PETA guy, but I also don't own a gun.

pedro
12-12-2007, 11:57 AM
I don't have a problem with hunting if you harvest your game for food. I find pure trophy hunting a little distasteful.

westofyou
12-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Remember.. remove the fat from the bear fast.. it goes rancid quicker then most game.

Chip R
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
As far as shooting goes, it is our God given red blooded American right. My grandfather let me shoot my first gun when I was 3, bought my Red Ryder BB gun for me one Christmas, and my other one bought my first real gun for me when I was 11.

Ralphie, is that you? ;)

Both my brothers in law bow hunt deer. As far as hunting goes, I think that's more of a challenge and more of a sport than it would be using guns. They either give the meat away or use it themselves. I'm no hunter myself but I have no problems with them doing that.

RBA
12-12-2007, 01:42 PM
I'm okay with hunting as long as the killed animal is used for something such as food or clothing, etc. Not to be used solely as trophy for someone's wall (unless the meat is remove for food first)

will5979
12-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Both my brothers in law bow hunt deer. As far as hunting goes, I think that's more of a challenge and more of a sport than it would be using guns. They either give the meat away or use it themselves. I'm no hunter myself but I have no problems with them doing that.

Very true although I'm not much of a bowhunter. When I hunt deer with a gun I use open sights and I stalk, much like the ways of the Native Americans. I make hunting very challenging for me cause I get bored sitting still. Just about every wild animal I have killed has been while I've been on the move. And yes I do eat the deer before it becomes a trophy. But still people that hunt just to get the trophy and bragging rights doesn't bother me none. But for some people if its brown, its down! That is the mode I'll be a few days after Christmas if I don't get a deer by then...

SunDeck
12-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not defending any of this, but there are places in the US where hunting is truly integrated into the life and the culture of the area. I spent some time down in the rural Louisiana/Arkansas area in a previous life and I never ate so much deer, rabbit, and squirrel in my life. These people aren't thrill-seeking hunters.

Shooting a bear doesn't seem like great sport, but I guess they viewed this as a rite of passage kind of thing.

Personally, I'm not a hunter. I hunted when I was a teenager and shot a deer when I was 17. I guess I'm a big wuss, but I found the experience almost shattering. That's the last time I killed anything bigger than a bug. Not a PETA guy, but I also don't own a gun.

I understand where you're coming from. I hunted a few times and didn't get much out of it, but out in the western Idaho/Eastern Washington area where my wife comes from, there really is not a question of whether a boy will hunt, but what will be his first kill (Jack Rabbit or Prairie Dog, most likely). And to them, even the liberal ones, they just can't imagine not owning a rifle and three or four shotguns. Interestingly, the only handguns I have seen among them belonged to my wife's grandfather who was a town sheriff, and to her uncle, a wildlife biologist who works in the Alaskan wilderness. It's to defend against grizzlies (and he's the one who told me that black bears would be boring to hunt.)

SunDeck
12-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Very true although I'm not much of a bowhunter. When I hunt deer with a gun I use open sights and I stalk, much like the ways of the Native Americans.

http://www.aoc.gov/images/stalking.jpg

BUCK: Hey honey, isn't that Mel over there on the other side? Haven't seen him in a while.
He sure is walking kinda funny.

Chip R
12-12-2007, 02:24 PM
It's probably not the best idea in the world to have a 5 year old kid use firearms. Hopefully he was taught about guns and the safety one needs to use when around them. Kids at that age can learn and retain things that are surprising. Perhaps someone at that age is a lot more likely to listen and remember those things than an older kid would. You'd be surprised at what kids know at that age.

Highlifeman21
12-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Maybe I'm just assuming way too much here, but who in their right mind would give a hunting license to a 5 year old?

Or, do we have a case where this kid should get fined for hunting without a license?

Bottomline, a lot about this doesn't sit well with me, and I'll have to wrap my head fully around it before I've figured out exactly what isn't sitting well with me.

dabvu2498
12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Maybe I'm just assuming way too much here, but who in their right mind would give a hunting license to a 5 year old?

Or, do we have a case where this kid should get fined for hunting without a license?

Bottomline, a lot about this doesn't sit well with me, and I'll have to wrap my head fully around it before I've figured out exactly what isn't sitting well with me.

I wondered the same thing...

In Arkansas, hunters under the age of 16 are good to go, so long as they are under the direct supervision of someone who is a licensed hunter and has passed hunter safety training.

http://www.agfc.com/hunting/license-info-hunting.aspx

In Ohio, he'd have had to get a youth license, which would require a hunter safety course.

12-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Sometimes the deer population (or the goose population,etc...) needs thinned out. Ask a farmer what deer can do to his crops.

westofyou
12-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Sometimes the deer population (or the goose population,etc...) needs thinned out. Ask a farmer what deer can do to his crops.

So true... once I was hiking in Sequoia NP and I came over the hill and saw a mother black bear and her 2 cubs, working the logs in the woods, turning em over poking around, digging.

One thing's for sure.

They sure didn't need to be thinned out, even if it was by a child that couldn't contemplate the real meaning of death, even though he was the one handing it out.

Johnny Footstool
12-12-2007, 05:51 PM
BUCK: Hey honey, isn't that Mel over there on the other side? Haven't seen him in a while.
He sure is walking kinda funny.

Is that you, Gary Larson?

gm
12-12-2007, 06:46 PM
I wonder if Ray/Bob took the Boone boys out and learned them in all the woodsy ways of great-grand-pappy Dan'l?

redsfanmia
12-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Davy Crockett kill him a baar (bear) when he was only three?

Rojo
12-12-2007, 09:08 PM
A) This is a weak story. Some kid, who may be related to Davy Crockett (so might us all) shoots a bear. Whoop-de-do.

B) I'm not a hunter but, compared to corporate farming, it seems a much more humane way for humans to get their meet.

GAC
12-12-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't have a problem with hunting if you harvest your game for food. I find pure trophy hunting a little distasteful.

I thoroughly agree.

And people also need to understand that a vast majority of hunters are also conservationists. There are obviously exceptions; but overall.

And you also have to look at hunting also from an animal control aspect in certain instances. If you don't control the deer population then you're talking about creating huge problems. They ain't nothing but a huge rodent. ;)

But as far as big game hunting, where a guy can go out and shoot an elk or mountain lion just to mount it in his den - I'm against that.

SunDeck
12-12-2007, 09:26 PM
A) This is a weak story. Some kid, who may be related to Davy Crockett (so might us all)...

Well, I must say I haven't read in any of the history books of his having been so prolific.

:D

Handofdeath
12-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Well, I must say I haven't read in any of the history books of his having been so prolific.

:D

He was the Wilt Chamberlain of his time.

Danny Serafini
12-12-2007, 10:00 PM
I was all ready to say five was way too young to hold a gun, it seemed nuts. Then I remembered my own background, where putting a four year old in a race car (albeit a low powered one) makes perfect sense. I suppose if they're getting the right instruction, and not using something out of their ability, I can't complain. I'll debate the "sport" aspect of hunting all day, but if you're eating what you shoot, and you're responsible with your weapon, who am I to judge?

RFS62
12-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Jay Bruce killed a bear with a flyswatter when he was 4.

12-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Jay Bruce has nothing on Jim Coombs.

I know alot of hunters. Everything from doves and squirrels (tastes good, but don't bite down on the shot) to deer, turkey, fowl, big game and bear. Some are ethical and some shoot every dog and coyote they can shoot. Some of the staunchest wildlife and environmental advocates are hunters. As far as a 5 year old, I think as long as supervision is there and in control it is OK - as long as all ammo and weapons are locked up tightly at home.

SeeinRed
12-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Here are some things I picked up from this story. The 5 Year Old had a youth riffle. It is indeed deadly, but only if the shooter is acurate. Very impressive that the kid was able to kill the bear with one shot. That tells me that the kid is very well trained which would also tell me that safety was probably very well taught also. The kid only shot when his grandfather told him it was OK. If you know a 5 year old, you know this means that the kid is very disciplined. A lot of kids would have just shot when they saw the bear.

Gun safety gets blown out of proprotion in relation to hunting. Most hunters are very concerned about gun safety. You don't touch a gun until you know how to use it safely in hunting areas. I'm from a hunting region. I don't hunt, but I do use guns. A lot of the problems exist because of people who aren't taught gun safety and view them as being like they are in video games, movies, or now as portrayed by some music. Being taught gun safety is also about learning why those portrayls are wrong and to be taken as entertainment only. I think it would be hard for a kid where I am from to see a video game and decide to go shoot people. We know what is wrong with that from a young age. The problem is not every kid is familiar with gun safety and what guns are about. They learn that guns are cool because you can make people do what you want and you look cool when you shoot them in certain ways. How many shooters in Cincinnati this year do you think were ever taught how to shoot a gun. What percentage of the people who are carrying guns on them in the city (legally or illegally) do you think were ever taught how to shoot a gun. I'm guessing that the numbers are staggering. Maybe gun safety should be taught at every school, I don't know. I just believe that saying guns are the problem is like saying that syringes are the problem with drug abusers. Crime will still happen. The common thread in all of it is the people.

I was all ready to say five was way too young to hold a gun, it seemed nuts. Then I remembered my own background, where putting a four year old in a race car (albeit a low powered one) makes perfect sense

This statement in particular caught me as interesting. I know what you are saying, but here is what really shows the difference in views based on where you were brought up. A low powered race car can still be a deadly race car if the kid doesn't use it safely. The kid in the story was using a low powered riffle. You probably didn't mean to sound like the race car was some how different from a gun in the sense that people can't be hurt, but that is how some people look at it. You try to justify what others would view as a stupid practice by adding in something you think they will view as being safer. In reality, you know that practice isn't stupid because the kid is fully taught about safety. People still think its stupid though. Thats life.

Danny Serafini
12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
This statement in particular caught me as interesting. I know what you are saying, but here is what really shows the difference in views based on where you were brought up. A low powered race car can still be a deadly race car if the kid doesn't use it safely. The kid in the story was using a low powered riffle. You probably didn't mean to sound like the race car was some how different from a gun in the sense that people can't be hurt, but that is how some people look at it. You try to justify what others would view as a stupid practice by adding in something you think they will view as being safer. In reality, you know that practice isn't stupid because the kid is fully taught about safety. People still think its stupid though. Thats life.

I think you're somewhat missing my point. I'm not saying one is safer, or trying to justify one over the other. What I'm saying is if you don't grow up in a certain culture, it can look ridiculous from the outside. It's easy to get outraged at the thought of a gun-toting five year old if you just look at the surface and don't understand the story behind it. All I did was provide another example. There are plenty of things that sound shocking if you don't know what preparation the kids are receiving beforehand.

You are proving my point in a way though with the comment about the "deadly" race car. I know they're not, afterall my dad got hit by one, and he didn't die. ;) At that level they're no quicker than the go-karts at the local mini-golf course, and the kids have to go through a good deal of training before they're even allowed on the same track as other cars. But you wouldn't know that if you didn't grow up with it. Just like you wouldn't know that a five year old was capable of using a gun properly if you didn't grow up with that.

Highlifeman21
12-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Jim Coombs fathered Chuck Norris who then fathered both Chris Denorfia and Jay Bruce.

Johnny Footstool
12-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Jim Coombs fathered Chuck Norris who then fathered both Chris Denorfia and Jay Bruce.

Jim Coombs fathered AND mothered Chuck Norris.

SeeinRed
12-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I think you're somewhat missing my point. I'm not saying one is safer, or trying to justify one over the other. What I'm saying is if you don't grow up in a certain culture, it can look ridiculous from the outside. It's easy to get outraged at the thought of a gun-toting five year old if you just look at the surface and don't understand the story behind it. All I did was provide another example. There are plenty of things that sound shocking if you don't know what preparation the kids are receiving beforehand.

You are proving my point in a way though with the comment about the "deadly" race car. I know they're not, afterall my dad got hit by one, and he didn't die. ;) At that level they're no quicker than the go-karts at the local mini-golf course, and the kids have to go through a good deal of training before they're even allowed on the same track as other cars. But you wouldn't know that if you didn't grow up with it. Just like you wouldn't know that a five year old was capable of using a gun properly if you didn't grow up with that.

No, I understood your point. I was using that statement to relate to the fact that because it isn't a gun, people aren't as sensitive to it. I just didn't do it very well. Most kids start out with a pellet gun or bb gun. They are just as non lethal as a "low powered" car. Eventually the kid gets to race something faster and deadlier, but only after you are sure he understands the responsibility he has to do so safely. I didn't mean to insinuate that you are a hypocrite. You in fact said you didn't think it was as crazy as originally thought because of your expirence with race cars. People just don't understand unless they grew up with it. Just like you said. Of course kids are trained first.

Highlifeman21
12-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Well yeah. Everyone knows that.

Danny Serafini
12-13-2007, 11:59 AM
No, I understood your point. I was using that statement to relate to the fact that because it isn't a gun, people aren't as sensitive to it. I just didn't do it very well. Most kids start out with a pellet gun or bb gun. They are just as non lethal as a "low powered" car. Eventually the kid gets to race something faster and deadlier, but only after you are sure he understands the responsibility he has to do so safely. I didn't mean to insinuate that you are a hypocrite. You in fact said you didn't think it was as crazy as originally thought because of your expirence with race cars. People just don't understand unless they grew up with it. Just like you said. Of course kids are trained first.

Got it now. I thought we were on the same page. :)

TeamSelig
12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Some of my family relies on hunting for about 90% of their food. Nothin wrong with it IMO. After they are stocked up, they will look for a "trophy". It all gets eaten. They LOVE hunting, and its a huge part of their life. Personally, I find it boring, but to each their own.

vaticanplum
12-13-2007, 01:36 PM
As far as shooting goes, it is our God given red blooded American right.

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other toward hunting, but I do have to ask: where exactly in your Bible does God give you the right to shoot?

Chip R
12-13-2007, 01:43 PM

I always thought Coombs was a mother.

Chip R
12-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't have strong feelings one way or the other toward hunting, but I do have to ask: where exactly in your Bible does God give you the right to shoot?

[Homer Simpson]

Somewhere in the back.

[/Homer Simpson]

RichRed
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Jay Bruce killed a bear with a flyswatter when he was 4.

I killed a fly with a bearswatter once.

Yachtzee
12-13-2007, 05:35 PM

As I heard it, Jim Coombs had a really bad migraine one day and then Chuck Norris sprang from his head in full ninja attire.

Highlifeman21
12-13-2007, 07:32 PM
As I heard it, Jim Coombs had a really bad migraine one day and then Chuck Norris sprang from his head in full ninja attire.

You heard incorrectly.

Chuck Norris' sons, Jay Bruce & Chris Denorfia, sprang from his head, in full baseball attire.

GAC
12-13-2007, 08:53 PM
I thought Davey Crockett kilt a bar?

camisadelgolf
12-14-2007, 05:07 AM
Hunting bears and squirrels is child play. Heck, a five-year-old did it. If you want to hunt for the sake of adrenaline or being macho, you should hunt humans. That's a challenge. It can be done, though. About half the murders in the U.S. are unsolved.

will5979
12-14-2007, 07:59 AM

Well if you are putting that way, God made man above animals. That are sub-creatures to us and God put them on this earth for us to slaughter for food/clothing and even at one time as a sacrifice.

will5979
12-14-2007, 08:03 AM
Hunting bears and squirrels is child play. Heck, a five-year-old did it. If you want to hunt for the sake of adrenaline or being macho, you should hunt humans. That's a challenge. It can be done, though. About half the murders in the U.S. are unsolved.

That coming from a guy that plays golf, yeah that is a real man's sport. Spend thousands of dollars on clubs, wear weird clothes, hit a ball, go find it, hit it again...what fun. Golf, sounds like you've got something stuck in your throat.

GAC
12-14-2007, 08:05 AM
According to the Bible - God was the first to kill an animal in order to provide clothing for two people who all of a sudden realized their nakedness. ;)

westofyou
12-14-2007, 09:47 AM
Well if you are putting that way, God made man above animals. That are sub-creatures to us and God put them on this earth for us to slaughter for food/clothing and even at one time as a sacrifice.

Sub creatures or not...

Maybe someday when there are no black bears we'll have made hunting for trophies (no one eats bear meat get real) something that receded in the past... like sacrificing animals.. er I mean "Sub Creatures"

vaticanplum
12-14-2007, 09:49 AM

Ah. Ok.

God made me bigger and more powerful than small children. Does that mean he gave me the right to kill them?

will5979
12-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Ah. Ok.

God made me bigger and more powerful than small children. Does that mean he gave me the right to kill them?

Wow, what do I say to that mentality? I'm done with this thread.

vaticanplum
12-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Wow, what do I say to that mentality? I'm done with this thread.

What? I used the exact same logic that you did.

Look, I'm not arguing your right to hunt. I just think it's a stretch to say that it's a right given to you by anybody but the government. Humans are physically and emotionally capable of doing a lot of things I think most of us agree we shouldn't. If you believe that God created us, and thus created us capable of doing these things, it doesn't follow that God meant us to do all of them.

minus5
12-14-2007, 10:23 AM
it is our God given red blooded American right.

I thought that this meant that God wrote the Constitution.

Chip R
12-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Easy, folks. Let's not turn this into a religious thread.

TeamCasey
12-14-2007, 11:55 AM

It's even worse than that. Bear hunters will make a pile of junk food ....... donuts and stuff, to attract bears. They just sit in a tree and shoot them. Nothing sporting about it.

Even worse, I haven't met one that eats the bear meat.

I'm no PETA nut either. I come from a family of hunters - mostly duck and goose. My dad cooked them though!

Highlifeman21
12-14-2007, 12:13 PM

I think I finally got to the bottom of my feelings/thoughts about this scenario/situation.

If this particular family was/is the type that they hunt to survive and what not, then I could respect the fact the grandfather was passing the torch, so to speak, to the 5 year old, but it seems that the grandfather was simply passing the torch of hunting enjoyment to the 5 year old, so for my particular tastes a 5 year old doesn't need to know how to hunt. Wait til he gets to the middle school years (grades 6-8). Is that too much to ask?

Also, not knowing more details of this story, and or family, how safe is this lil guy's gun? I'm hoping that he can't get access to the loaded weapon whenever he wants. If that's the case, then it wouldn't surprise me to read a follow up story with the headline "5 Year Old Crockett Descendant Shoots Self in Gun Accident". Or it could be something like "5 Year Old Crockett Descendant Shoots Family Member in Gun Accident". I'm also wondering how the parents of this lil guy feel about grandpa teaching the kid how to hunt. I mean good for him, he shot and killed a 450 pound bear that will end up being a trophy in his house. Awesome. For the rest of this kid's life, he'll have that constant reminder of what grandpa taught him to do at age 5.

I'm not anti-hunting at all, as I've been myself, although not having the patience for it and being horribly awful at it, but I respect hunters that hunt for food, rather than game/trophy. The couple times I've been, we fully intended to eat what we were hunting (deer), and the one actual time we got something, we took what we wanted and donated the rest. Trophy/game hunting is a concept that fully escapes me, and perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Bottomline, I think a 5 year old hunter that isn't hunting to provide for the family is a slippery slope I'd rather not see that family slide, but unfortunately history cannot be undone. This is why society fascinates me at times, b/c there's one family who experienced what was probably a very moving and right of passage-esque event, and then there's me, who can't fully fathom the event that transpired for them.

TeamCasey
12-14-2007, 02:06 PM
I've spent much of my life in the Adirondack Mountains.

Black bear hunting is about as sporting as walking up to a beagle and kicking it in the face.

LoganBuck
12-14-2007, 02:06 PM
I think I finally got to the bottom of my feelings/thoughts about this scenario/situation.

If this particular family was/is the type that they hunt to survive and what not, then I could respect the fact the grandfather was passing the torch, so to speak, to the 5 year old, but it seems that the grandfather was simply passing the torch of hunting enjoyment to the 5 year old, so for my particular tastes a 5 year old doesn't need to know how to hunt. Wait til he gets to the middle school years (grades 6-8). Is that too much to ask?

Also, not knowing more details of this story, and or family, how safe is this lil guy's gun? I'm hoping that he can't get access to the loaded weapon whenever he wants. If that's the case, then it wouldn't surprise me to read a follow up story with the headline "5 Year Old Crockett Descendant Shoots Self in Gun Accident". Or it could be something like "5 Year Old Crockett Descendant Shoots Family Member in Gun Accident". I'm also wondering how the parents of this lil guy feel about grandpa teaching the kid how to hunt. I mean good for him, he shot and killed a 450 pound bear that will end up being a trophy in his house. Awesome. For the rest of this kid's life, he'll have that constant reminder of what grandpa taught him to do at age 5.

I'm not anti-hunting at all, as I've been myself, although not having the patience for it and being horribly awful at it, but I respect hunters that hunt for food, rather than game/trophy. The couple times I've been, we fully intended to eat what we were hunting (deer), and the one actual time we got something, we took what we wanted and donated the rest. Trophy/game hunting is a concept that fully escapes me, and perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Bottomline, I think a 5 year old hunter that isn't hunting to provide for the family is a slippery slope I'd rather not see that family slide, but unfortunately history cannot be undone. This is why society fascinates me at times, b/c there's one family who experienced what was probably a very moving and right of passage-esque event, and then there's me, who can't fully fathom the event that transpired for them.

It is the same difference to me as people that spend thousands of dollars on their pets, because they think they are people. I won't understand it, I think the idea is stupid, but hey, what do I really have to do with their decision. If you don't agree, just shake your head, and move on. No need to call them barbarians or think they are raising the next John Wayne Gacy.

TeamSelig
12-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Those poor animals. We all need to just sit down with them, and share a salad. They are people too, you know... with thoughts, feelings, and insecurities. Awful.

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Those poor animals. We all need to just sit down with them, and share a salad. They are people too, you know... with thoughts, feelings, and insecurities. Awful.

Nah, just shoot 'em all. If it moves, kill it.

Look, I don't personally agree with hunting, but I'm not going to try to outlaw it. My biggest complaint with this story is the way the grandfather reacted when the kid shot an animal. Tears streaming down his face? Come on. Maybe if the bear was attacking Gramps, and lil' Pooter saved the day, I could understand that. But the animal was placid and nonthreatening, and Gramps acted like the kid had just won the Olympics.

Johnny Footstool
12-14-2007, 03:51 PM
I always thought Coombs was a mother.

Shut yo mouth!

Chip R
12-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Shut yo mouth!

I'm talkin' about Coombs.

westofyou
12-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Spoken like a true connoisseur of the higher life, Beer Helmets, Papa Johns... magic.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-14-2007, 08:24 PM
wow..this has made it to 72 posts?

GAC
12-15-2007, 05:21 AM
I come from a family of hunters - mostly duck and goose. My dad cooked them though!

Your Dad cooked his own goose (so to speak). :p:

I come from a family of hunters and trappers. I never really got into it, but I can remember, when younger, going out with my uncles to check muskrat traps. I was more of a fisherman then anything else. And yet there are some that even disagree with that. I've seem PETA, in this area, at local lakes, reservoirs, and state parks, trying to disrupt fishermen.

Last week I watched a show on Ingrid Newkirk the founder of PETA. And I deeply respect those that choose the vegetarian or vegen lifestyle. That's their personal choice. I don't agree with their tactics/motives, and that they appear to want to force their lifestyle on everyone else. And when I hear them refer to animals as "persons", then I think that is a bit over the top.

And now they're saying we shouldn't be eating dairy.

So what is left? Vegetables. Aren't they a living "entity" that is also beneficial to sustaining the balance in the environment?

On the humorous side, I was watching Ron White's "They Call Me Tater Tot" last night. He talked about a PETA member telling him that raising cows harms the environment..... "So I'm helping out the environment. I'm eating the cows." :lol:

We can argue/discuss back and forth the pros and cons of the health influence of the various dietary behaviors the human practiced on this planet.

But I don't care how beneficial peas may be for me.... I still ain't eatin' them!

Redlegs23
12-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I think that everyone that is terrified over a 5 year old shooting a gun under adult training and supervision should instead spend more time worrying about the 15-30 year old thugs that are hunting humans in the ghettos with no supervision.

westofyou
12-15-2007, 10:59 AM
I think that everyone that is terrified over a 5 year old shooting a gun under adult training and supervision should instead spend more time worrying about the 15-30 year old thugs that are hunting humans in the ghettos with no supervision.

You're right... I'm for humans hunting humans... BUT only under supervision, no supervision and I'm not backing it at all.

camisadelgolf
12-15-2007, 11:13 AM
That coming from a guy that plays golf, yeah that is a real man's sport. Spend thousands of dollars on clubs, wear weird clothes, hit a ball, go find it, hit it again...what fun. Golf, sounds like you've got something stuck in your throat.

I don't play golf. I just wear golfshirts.

Redlegs23
12-15-2007, 11:35 AM
You're right... I'm for humans hunting humans... BUT only under supervision, no supervision and I'm not backing it at all.

Exactly, done under the proper supervision, and with a license I see no problem. ;)

OldRightHander
12-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Ah. Ok.

No, but that doesn't mean I haven't been tempted at times. ;)

Anyway, I grew up in a rural part of Ohio where hunting was as much a part of life as anything else. If you were a boy and didn't know how to shoot, there was something wrong with you. I was shooting from a very early age. I really can't remember a time when I didn't know how to handle a firearm.

Along with that came a very intensive indoctrination on firearm safety. It was drilled into me from my father and every other adult male in the community how you were and were not to use it, and even pointing one, loaded or not, at another person would be enough to get my hide tanned.

I do think that if you're going to kill something, you or somebody else should be eating it. Killing just for the heck of it isn't that sporting.

TeamSelig
12-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Spoken like a true connoisseur of the higher life, Beer Helmets, Papa Johns... magic.

Beer + pizza > being in PETA

Highlifeman21
12-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Truer words have never been spoken.

westofyou
12-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Doc Martins > Being in PETA

TeamSelig
12-15-2007, 02:24 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sponsor

vaticanplum
12-15-2007, 03:02 PM
I think the generalizations in this thread are a little out of control. That goes for all sides.

Dom Heffner
12-15-2007, 03:04 PM
I do think that if you're going to kill something, you or somebody else should be eating it. Killing just for the heck of it isn't that sporting.

I worked with a guy who saw a big wild turkey on the side of the road, pulled his truck over, and got out and shot it. I think he ate it, but wow, nobody said it had to even be 1% sport.

There are some people out there who give hunter's a bad name.

Dom Heffner
12-15-2007, 03:08 PM
To make fun of myself:

I would never hunt because I don't have the heart to kill something with my own hand, but I have zero problem in forking out a dollar to eat a McDonald's hamburger where somebody else used the same tool that Anton Chigurh uses in "No Country for Old Men" to get it onto my plate.

Yachtzee
12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
I worked with a guy who saw a big wild turkey on the side of the road, pulled his truck over, and got out and shot it. I think he ate it, but wow, nobody said it had to even be 1% sport.

To be fair, contrary with what Mr. Carlson found out with farm raised turkeys, wild turkeys can fly if they so choose. I still remember the first time I saw a wild turkey about 100 ft. up in a tree.

westofyou
12-15-2007, 03:44 PM

My BiL saw a guy near Kings Island sawing the head off a 8 point Buck that had been hit by a car and died in the median.

Blew him away.

He also once went to a farm out in Adams county and bought a table saw, as he was backing out of the driveway he ran over one of the many puppies that had been running around. he said it was horrible, he even started to cry, he dad who was with him was real upset... a little boy about ten walked over as they apologized, looked at it, bent down and picked it up.

Threw it twenty feet into the woods.

That's OK... we gots lost of them around here.

TeamSelig
12-16-2007, 01:57 PM
To be fair, a deer that has been hit by a car isn't realy edible. Alot of people like to use antlers, etc. as decorations or whatever. I don't think thats really all that uncommon but then again I'm not from the city either.

And I think the real story in the second part, is who and where is that little boy that can launch a puppy twenty feet into the woods? We need another starter...

Mr.MojoRisin
12-16-2007, 10:17 PM
Personally I've never hunted much. I do own some guns, but mostly target shoot. I guess I can see the attraction in it, but it's not my thing. I'm all for it if someone likes it though, more power to you.

Razor Shines
12-16-2007, 11:43 PM
To be fair, a deer that has been hit by a car isn't realy edible. Alot of people like to use antlers, etc. as decorations or whatever. I don't think thats really all that uncommon but then again I'm not from the city either.

And I think the real story in the second part, is who and where is that little boy that can launch a puppy twenty feet into the woods? We need another starter...

You have a sick sense of humor. That's pretty funny. But seriously the kid being able to throw the puppy 20 feet isn't that big of a deal, everyone knows dead puppies fly farther than live puppies.

TeamSelig
12-17-2007, 12:03 AM
True, but I imagined it being slowed down by tree limbs, etc. Just guestimating here, but that would put the puppy at about 40-50 feet if it went untouched.

Seriously though, lets say the puppy was about 15 pounds (240 oz). A baseball is 5 oz or 48x smaller.

20 puppy throwing feet would be 960 feet if it were a baseball. Now either that kid is already in the Mitchell report, or he is a just a freak/mutant with an amazing cannon for an arm.

camisadelgolf
12-17-2007, 03:39 AM
The thing with a puppy is, as long as it hasn't been dead for too long, you can grab two of the legs and swing it around like in the hammer throw at the Olympics. Strength helps, but it's more about technique.

Roy Tucker
12-17-2007, 09:52 AM
You have a sick sense of humor. That's pretty funny. But seriously the kid being able to throw the puppy 20 feet isn't that big of a deal, everyone knows dead puppies fly farther than live puppies.

Let 'em dry flat on the road and then chuck them like a frisbee.

Sailcat and sailpup tossing is an art.

BuckWoody
12-17-2007, 01:55 PM
This thread makes my puppy cry.... :cry:

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-17-2007, 06:27 PM
dead puppies arent much fun

GAC
12-17-2007, 08:21 PM
To be fair, a deer that has been hit by a car isn't realy edible.

Very true. I've never owned a gun, but I've killed a lot of deer.... with my vehicles. ;)

The wife and I were driving home last night and lo and behold we come over the hill by our house and there are about 8 deer standing right in the middle of the road. My first reaction is "what stupid animals". But then - they don't realize they are standing in the middle of a road.

We live out in the country where there is a woods bordering our property. Every morning and evening there are deer all over my backyard. I'll walk outside on my back deck with a cup of coffee and just stand there and watch them.

They are amazing animals to watch.... even though they are destroying my property/landscaping. ;)