PDA

View Full Version : Current Starting Pitchers the Reds are Pursuing

crazybob60
12-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Well here is a combined list of the 10 Pitchers that I have seen mentioned the most on here and in several other blogs that the Reds are actively seeking the most. Hopefully I haven't left too many off. Ranked in order of how likely I think they will become a Red.

1. Erik Bedard -- Currently a Baltimore Oriole and from some of the sources that I have read and seen, it is like a 75% chance. We shall see, although we will have to sell basically all the cows, horses, and chickens on the farm to do so. We would also need to lock him up long term as well or he would be done here in two years and giving up three top prospects for that I am not sure would be worth it.

2. Mark Prior -- Made $3.575 Mil on a one year contract in 2007. Just non-tendered by the Chicago Cubs and I bet he ends up here and battles for that last starting spot.

3. Brett Tomko -- Made $8.7 Mil on a two year contract from 2006-2007. Is a Free Agent.

4. Carlos Silva -- Made $5.05 Mil on a two year contract from 2005-2006 and had a club option in 2007 for $4 Mil. Is a Free Agent.

5. Mark Hendrickson -- Made $2.925 Mil on a one year contract in 2007. Is a Free Agent and was non-tendered yesterday. I bet he could easily move up on this list depending upon what type of contract he is asking for.

6. Livan Hernandez -- Made $21 Mil on a three year contract from 2005-2007. Is a Free Agent and I believe would also be a perfect fit for the Reds and could ease the workload on Arroyo although I doubt he will come here because he will not get paid what he is asking for, but if we splurge, I would love to see him in a Reds uniform.

7. Jon Lieber -- Made $21 Mil on a three year contract from 2005-2007. Is a Free Agent and is just worth too much money and an injury risk!

8. Dan Haren -- Currently an Oakland Athletic but the asking price is probably waaaay too high. If Bedard falls through and doesn't happen, I could easily see this trade moving up on this list possibly to the 2 or 3 hole, or possibly them going after a Livan Hernandez type.

9. Kris Benson -- Made $22.5 Mil on a three year contract from 2005-2007. Is a Free Agent but makes waaay too much money and is a HUGE injury risk.

10. David Wells -- Made $13 Mil on a one year contract in 2007. Is a Free Agent. Upside is that he is left handed. Downside is that he is a huge injury risk, he is old, and I don't think he would fare well at Great American.

Now if things go as I think they will, I bet we trade for Erik Bedard and have to give up Hamilton, either Bailey/Cueto, and another young prospect (not named Stubbs, Votto, Bruce, but we do get it off somehow). We then sign Mark Prior to a one year deal. And we also sign Mark Hendrickson.

Our rotation will be great as Bedard will push Harang to work and perform like he never has before which will be great, someone to challenge Harang within our own system, which I will love, but it will be a good challenge.

Rotation:

1. Bedard
2. Harang
3. Arroyo
4. Belisle/and by midseason either Bailey or Cueto whoever didn't get traded
5. Prior or possibly even Hendrickson whomever performs better in the spring.

Then we have the leftovers of the 4 and 5 spots as spot starters and long relievers to go with our revamped bullpen.

Our starting 8 will look like this:

C: David Ross
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Brandon Phillips
SS: Alex Gonzalez
3B: Edwin Encarnacion
OF: Ken Griffey, Jr.
OF: Adam Dunn
OF: Jay Bruce (if he isn't ready, then Norris Hopper/Ryan Freel until he is)

Now some of this may be a pipedream....but if we get at least Prior and Hendrickson signed, then I think alot of it can happen and then Bedard would just be an icing on the cake....I now like the way this is shaping up.....thoughts?

Hondo
12-13-2007, 04:11 AM
I would stay far and far and more FAR away from Mark Hendrickson.

Make the Deal for Bedard. Take a Flyer on Mark Prior, give him a 2 year HIGH Encentive laden Contract and PRAY. Sign Jon Lieber to same Incentive Laden Deal.

Please Wayne Krivisky. Trade evrything except Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton, and Joey Votto for LHP Johan Santana and then use the 72 Hour Window to make him the Highest PAID Pitcher in the GAME.

If the Reds can give Cordero 10 Million PLUS, they can Give a 2 TIME Cy Young Winner in his PRIME who is LEFT Handed 20 Million over 7 Wonderful Years.

Thanks

RedsKev
12-13-2007, 05:48 AM
I think the Reds should push to trade for Haren he is under contract through 2009 with an option for 2010. Plus this deal would work without including Bruce. Haren is a workhorse over the last three seasons he has pitched 217, 223, and 222 innings respectively. That is just what we need in our rotation, another 200+IP starter to go along with Arroyo and Harang.

Degenerate39
12-13-2007, 07:18 AM
If the Reds get Bedard I think the rotation will end up looking like this:
1. Harang
2. Bedard
3. Arroyo
4. Belisle
5. Bailey (Assuming they didn't trade him for Bedard)

Redsnake
12-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Bedard and Prior.
Does anyone else get chills of the idea of both? I prey that Prior would resort too his playoff form.

If the gods would shine down on us and give us a rotation like this.
#1 Harang
#1 Bedard
#1 Prior
#3 Arroyo
#4 Bailey
That would be awesome. Now of course that's if Prior could return too form.

ChatterRed
12-13-2007, 10:12 AM
According to sources, the Padres at one time were interested in trading for Prior this off season........but once they saw his medical report, they backed off.

I think the dream of a healthy Mark Prior is just that...........a dream.

What about the guy from Toronto?

Bigredfan#1
12-13-2007, 10:22 AM
I would stay far and far and more FAR away from Mark Hendrickson.

Make the Deal for Bedard. Take a Flyer on Mark Prior, give him a 2 year HIGH Encentive laden Contract and PRAY. Sign Jon Lieber to same Incentive Laden Deal.

Please Wayne Krivisky. Trade evrything except Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton, and Joey Votto for LHP Johan Santana and then use the 72 Hour Window to make him the Highest PAID Pitcher in the GAME.

If the Reds can give Cordero 10 Million PLUS, they can Give a 2 TIME Cy Young Winner in his PRIME who is LEFT Handed 20 Million over 7 Wonderful Years.

Thanks

I am not sure that we couldn't get Santana cheaper than we could get Bedard as far as what we would have to trade. I think Bedard's price is pretty steep and I am afraid it is one we will regret paying if we give up what I have been reading they are demanding.

terminator
12-13-2007, 10:41 AM
10. David Wells -- Made $13 Mil on a one year contract in 2007.
Not to nitpick, but that was $3 million.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-13-2007, 11:10 AM
According to sources, the Padres at one time were interested in trading for Prior this off season........but once they saw his medical report, they backed off.

I think the dream of a healthy Mark Prior is just that...........a dream.

What about the guy from Toronto?
The Padres may have backed off from giving up any talent for Prior because of med reports, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't toss him a low risk deal now that he is a free agent.

AdamDunn
12-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Prior... that is all.

Redsnake
12-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Prior may never regain his 2004/2005 form or be 100%. But I would take a 80% healthy Prior.

80% Prior is better than a 100% Arroyo.

ChatterRed
12-13-2007, 01:41 PM
AJ Burnett

*BaseClogger*
12-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Josh Towers

schmidty622
12-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Id still go after Freddy Garcia too. Josh Towers ehh after looking at his stats i have 2nd thoughts on him.

tbball10
12-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Prior may never regain his 2004/2005 form or be 100%. But I would take a 80% healthy Prior.

80% Prior is better than a 100% Arroyo.

Are you serious??

Bronson is a very good pitcher, and has done great for the Reds since he came here. He is a definite, legit #3, although he is serviceable at #2... Prior may not even be a serviceable #5.

*BaseClogger*
12-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Id still go after Freddy Garcia too. Josh Towers ehh after looking at his stats i have 2nd thoughts on him.

Yeah the only good thing about Towers is that he has always been in the AL...

TheBigLebowski
12-13-2007, 10:11 PM
No Josh Towers. No Mark Prior. No Jon Lieber.

If we can't swing a deal for Bedard/Haren/Lincecum/etc, I'd be very satisfied with Mark Hendrickson as a 5th starter or Livan as a #4/5, provided we don't have to pay him 7 mil/year. He's durable, eats innings and can keep a team in a ballgame.

Orenda
12-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah the only good thing about Towers is that he has always been in the AL...

I admitedly was curious about Towers, but after looking at his stats he really only had one decent season and he wouldn't be an improvement. He also said he's hoping to go play in the NL west.

George Foster
12-14-2007, 01:23 AM
I doubt that Baker wants Prior. Bad luck. No one knows the ends and outs of Prior better than Dusty Baker.

I think some team is going to throw him 10 million over 2 years. I hope it's not the Reds. If he would sign for 5 million over 2 years then maybe. I would think if the Cubs thought he had ANYTHING left, they would of offered him a similar deal and not cut him.

AmarilloRed
12-14-2007, 02:09 AM
I would be fine with Livan Hernandez as our #3; he eats innings and gives you quality starts. We could then have Belisle and Bailey make up the back end of the rotation. I do not want to trade away the future for 2 years of Bedard, especially when Bailey and Cueto could be just as good in a year or two.