PDA

View Full Version : Redszone Community Prospect Vote #17

dougdirt
12-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #17 prospect (the best prospect who is not yet on the list). We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Prospect 1 - Jay Bruce
Prospect 2 - Homer Bailey
Prospect 3 - Johnny Cueto
Prospect 4 - Joey Votto
Prospect 5 - Todd Frazier
Prospect 6 - Drew Stubbs
Prospect 7 - Matt Maloney
Prospect 8 - Josh Roenicke
Prospect 9 - Travis Wood
Prospect 10 - Devin Mesoraco
Prospect 11 - Kyle Lotzkar
Prospect 12 - Danny Dorn
Prospect 13 - Sean Watson
Prospect 14 - Carlos Fisher
Prospect 15 - Juan Francisco
Prospect 16 - Neftali Soto

TOBTTReds
12-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Waring drops bombs like no one's business. Also hit for average his first pro year.

Kc61
12-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Pelland. Major league ready. Has performed at higher level than Viola.

OnBaseMachine
I'll again go with Pedro Viola.

dougdirt
Adam Rosales. He has a stick that looks really good and he can play multiple positions.

mth123
12-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Adam Rosales. He has a stick that looks really good and he can play multiple positions.

Hooray. I knew we'd agree sooner or later. I've been voting for him since number 9 when Roenicke went off the board.

TOBTTReds
12-15-2007, 03:34 PM

Out of curiosity, how much higher did you have Dorn than Rosales? Dorn is a year younger, but cannot hit LH worth a darn. Dorn's great AA numbers were only in 90 AB's, whereas Rosales' numbers in AA are very good (278/377/549) over 255 AB's. He also hits well against both LH and RH. He also 'learned' patience this year as his OBP was .099 points higher than his BA in both High A (248 AB's) and AA. One other consideration is that Rosales just kind of exploded this year. So I guess it all depends on whether you think AR is the real deal, or if this year was just an aberation.

I have Dorn and Rosales almost next to eachother in my rankings. Giving Dorn a slight advantage. But if Rosales keeps up his success from 07 to 08 then he should be given serious consideration for top 15 prospect ranking or better in the system.

dougdirt
12-15-2007, 03:45 PM
Out of curiosity, how much higher did you have Dorn than Rosales? Dorn is a year younger, but cannot hit LH worth a darn. Dorn's great AA numbers were only in 90 AB's, whereas Rosales' numbers in AA are very good (278/377/549) over 255 AB's. He also hits well against both LH and RH. He also 'learned' patience this year as his OBP was .099 points higher than his BA in both High A (248 AB's) and AA. One other consideration is that Rosales just kind of exploded this year. So I guess it all depends on whether you think AR is the real deal, or if this year was just an aberation.

I have Dorn and Rosales almost next to eachother in my rankings. Giving Dorn a slight advantage. But if Rosales keeps up his success from 07 to 08 then he should be given serious consideration for top 15 prospect ranking or better in the system.

I have them one after another in my rankings. They are very close to eachother in my mind. I have Dorn at 13 and Rosales at 14. The only reason it took me so long to vote for Rosales was that I have Soto at #9. As for Rosales bursting to the scene this year, I think that last year was the abberration, not this year. He tore things up in 2005, played with injuries last year and struggled, came back this year and tore things up again.

TOBTTReds
12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I have them one after another in my rankings. They are very close to eachother in my mind. I have Dorn at 13 and Rosales at 14. The only reason it took me so long to vote for Rosales was that I have Soto at #9. As for Rosales bursting to the scene this year, I think that last year was the abberration, not this year. He tore things up in 2005, played with injuries last year and struggled, came back this year and tore things up again.

Sounds good, I'm right with you.

TOBTTReds
12-15-2007, 04:03 PM
I have a ballot nominee...Derrick Conatser

This year in the GCL, as a JUCO RHP drafted in rd. 28, and pick 859, Conatser put up a good line. 20.2 ip, 22 h, 4 bb, 22 k, 3.3 GO/FO ratio, 4.79 ERA, .278 Avg against. For a severe GB pitcher, .278 avg against in the GCL isn't too bad. He is more likely a prospect because of the Reds park more than anything. I have him coming in around the 40 range. But I thought I would at least throw his name in there since we have a total 35 names or so elected already + on the ballot still. Anyway, just a name to throw out there.

Here is something from the East Carolina website. He initially signed there to play in 08.

Derrick Conatser • RHP • 6-1 • 180 • Tallahassee Community College (Tallahassee, Fla.)
Posted a 7-2 record and one save as a freshman at Tallahassee Community College under the direction of Mike McLeod ... Worked 61 2/3 innings allowing 55 hits and 19 walks while fanning 51 ... Finished freshman campaign with a 2.92 ERA which ranked among the top-30 in Florida JUCO baseball ... Attended Southwood HS (Shreveport, La.) where he guided the Cowboys to back-to-back district championships (2002-03) ... Earned three varsity letters under head coach David Elledge ... Was a three-time all-district and two-time all-state ... As a junior posted a 9-1 record with a 1.61 ERA which included a perfect game ... During his senior season was selected to participate in the Louisiana High School All-Star Game.
Coach Godwin's Comments: "Derrick is a standout right-hander that has pitched in one of the top junior college conferences in the country. He has the ability to come in and pitch on the weekend....

Blue
12-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Daryl Thompson:

3.18 ERA, 133 IP, 122 H, 121 K, 33 BB overall last season between Dayton and Sarasota.

2.55 ERA, 49.1 IP, 44 H, 45 , 14 BB in his last 10 starts at Sarasota.

He outpitched Sean Watson at the same levels, and pitched twice as much at High-A. Low-maybe mid-90s FB, solid curve, decent changeup.

My vote is for my other brother Daryl... Thompson.

icehole3
12-15-2007, 04:46 PM
I would put Waring's stats last year in rookie ball up against anyone in his draft class and for him to be our 17th choice has me scratching my head. Compare Waring to any hitter in last year draft class and tell me who's got better numbers?

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Props/munch.gif

AdamDunn
12-15-2007, 05:18 PM
can we get miguel perez up there? I believe he's making a comeback!

mth123
12-15-2007, 05:20 PM

I know no one is asking, but I have Rosales at 7 and Dorn at 9. I actually think Dorn will be a better hitter, but as a corner OF, I'm just not sure his bat will get him many ABs over his competition. Being a lefty helps in a platoon situation though. Rosales is probably a supersub whose bat will be a plus compared to other multi-position guys and may be able to play a lot by moving around the field.

gedred69
12-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I would put Waring's stats last year in rookie ball up against anyone in his draft class and for him to be our 17th choice has me scratching my head. Compare Waring to any hitter in last year draft class and tell me who's got better numbers?

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Props/munch.gif

I totally agree.

But, again we are evaluating from afar. Too bad we can't get input from someone who sees these RL players, to give us some insight into what these guys really play like. I remember David Espinoza, who had all the talent in the world, but played lazy. At the opposite end, Pete Rose who had OK talent but played with a fire yet un-equaled.

AmarilloRed
12-15-2007, 05:50 PM
I will vote for Pedro again.

dougdirt
12-15-2007, 06:45 PM
can we get miguel perez up there? I believe he's making a comeback!

Until he signs with the Reds he won't be listed. Currently he is a free agent.

dougdirt
12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
I know no one is asking, but I have Rosales at 7 and Dorn at 9. I actually think Dorn will be a better hitter, but as a corner OF, I'm just not sure his bat will get him many ABs over his competition. Being a lefty helps in a platoon situation though. Rosales is probably a supersub whose bat will be a plus compared to other multi-position guys and may be able to play a lot by moving around the field.

I honestly think Rosales could cut it at 3B or 1B as a starter in the major leagues.

kentjett
12-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Daryll Thompson, he isn't a over powering pitcher but he has excellent control. I think he will be a player that suprises a lot of people.

HokieRed
12-15-2007, 10:26 PM
More people need to look at that Evan Hildenbrandt scouting video. You'll see what upside in a pitcher looks like.

camisadelgolf
12-16-2007, 04:26 AM
It's Adam Rosales for me, too.

Betterread
12-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Valaika, Turner and Pelland all earned prospect status with their performances this year.
I voted for Valaika because he is a projectable ML infield utility player - and he can really hit. I think last year he struck out too much and the bouncing between positions was new to him - and he still produced line drives all day. I think he'll have a great 2008 (so long as he's healthy) in high A/AA.

GoReds33
12-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Finally I can stop voting for Waring.

*BaseClogger*
12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
How is it that everyone wants McBeth in our bullpen next year but no one has voted for him as our #17 best prospect?

dougdirt
12-16-2007, 02:43 PM
How is it that everyone wants McBeth in our bullpen next year but no one has voted for him as our #17 best prospect?

Bullpen arms aren't that valuable unless they are flat out dominating.

*BaseClogger*
12-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Bullpen arms aren't that valuable unless they are flat out dominating.

I agree, but then how is it that Roenicke was ranked so high?

dougdirt
12-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I agree, but then how is it that Roenicke was ranked so high?

Roenicke projects to be a very good bullpen arm with a 95 MPH fastball and a very good offspeed pitch.

gedred69
12-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Finally I can stop voting for Waring.

Ditto, let's hope.:beerme:

chicoruiz
12-17-2007, 07:44 AM
MTH123 and I should get together for a beer if Rosales wins this...we've been keeping the faith for quite some time now.

M2
12-17-2007, 10:59 AM
BA ranked Justin Reed as the #16 prospect in the Pioneer League in 2007. He's a great athlete with a good eye at the plate. At age 19 he's only level behind Drew Stubbs with numbers similar to Stubbs. It's entirely possible that Reed will be the toolsy OF who emerges for the Reds 2008.

Blue
12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
BA ranked Justin Reed as the #16 prospect in the Pioneer League in 2007. He's a great athlete with a good eye at the plate. At age 19 he's only level behind Drew Stubbs with numbers similar to Stubbs. It's entirely possible that Reed will be the toolsy OF who emerges for the Reds 2008.

I think of him as a lefthanded Chris Denorfia. Not great at anything, but pretty good at a lot of things.

dougdirt
12-17-2007, 01:35 PM

Of course he plays a corner outfield position and his tools aren't close to those of Stubbs. But other than that, I still like him as a very raw prospect that is quite toolsy who made HUGE strides this year fromlast. I wouldn't vote for him just yet, but he certainly is in the conversation with some other guys currently listed in the poll.

M2
12-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Of course he plays a corner outfield position and his tools aren't close to those of Stubbs. But other than that, I still like him as a very raw prospect that is quite toolsy who made HUGE strides this year fromlast. I wouldn't vote for him just yet, but he certainly is in the conversation with some other guys currently listed in the poll.

Reed plays CF. Last year he played all over the OF, but BA rated him as having good range in CF. His arm's a bit short and that's Stubbs' main tools advantage over him. Perhaps range will be a big advantage if Reed fails on the technique end, but in terms of raw ability to go get a ball (e.g. straight line speed) Stubbs has got nothing on Reed.

Reed actually carried a SLG advantage over Stubbs last year, despite being three years younger. Both have BA issues. They'd make for a competitive foot race, but Stubbs is older and having a hard time translating his speed to the basepaths. Both he and Reed were 13-20 in SBs last year even with Stubbs playing double the amount of time. If I had to take a guess at whose speed will play better in the future, I'd take Reed.

I agree he's raw and I rate Stubbs higher because Reed hasn't played full-season ball yet, but Reed is the flipside to the conversation we often have about Stubbs on this site. We often hear that Stubbs is raw and needs time to put things together, which then begets protests that he's 22 and that with the instruction he's already received (college and pro) he should be better. Reed's raw, but his youth and inexperience make it a little more palatable.

dougdirt
12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Reed plays CF. Last year he played all over the OF, but BA rated him as having good range in CF. His arm's a bit short and that's Stubbs' main tools advantage over him. Perhaps range will be a big advantage if Reed fails on the technique end, but in terms of raw ability to go get a ball (e.g. straight line speed) Stubbs has got nothing on Reed.
I guess the idea that playing him in LF, RF and CF last year tends to put me in the mind that he isn't a true centerfielder. He may be adequate there (think Jay Bruce) but if he isn't sticking in CF at a young age already, he probably isn't playing it well above average.

Reed actually carried a SLG advantage over Stubbs last year, despite being three years younger. Both have BA issues. They'd make for a competitive foot race, but Stubbs is older and having a hard time translating his speed to the basepaths. Both he and Reed were 13-20 in SBs last year even with Stubbs playing double the amount of time. If I had to take a guess at whose speed will play better in the future, I'd take Reed.
Stubbs speed is hindered by his injury. Hopefully we can see how he is doing next year since he has apparently had surgery to fix his turf toe. Reed is plenty fast, no doubt though. Personally, I would take Stubbs speed to play better in the future because of the foot being fixed, but again that is no slight on Reed.

I agree he's raw and I rate Stubbs higher because Reed hasn't played full-season ball yet, but Reed is the flipside to the conversation we often have about Stubbs on this site. We often hear that Stubbs is raw and needs time to put things together, which then begets protests that he's 22 and that with the instruction he's already received (college and pro) he should be better. Reed's raw, but his youth and inexperience make it a little more palatable.
I think the biggest thing in the Stubbs/Reed thing we haven't brought up is the size. Stubbs is 6-4 and 205. Reed is 5'11 and 180. It makes Stubbs power a bit more projectable than Reeds, although he isn't exactly small in terms of size, just not the tallest guy ever. Definately someone to keep an eye on as a big time breakout guy next year.

M2
12-17-2007, 03:01 PM
I guess the idea that playing him in LF, RF and CF last year tends to put me in the mind that he isn't a true centerfielder. He may be adequate there (think Jay Bruce) but if he isn't sticking in CF at a young age already, he probably isn't playing it well above average.

From what I can gather, Reed playing all over the place is more a function of inexperience than ability. He's got 60 speed, which is plenty enough to go after a fly. It's a matter of learning routes and developing instincts. Sounds like he made encouraging progress in 2007.

It's hard to know where an athletic kid will go in terms of range. I doubt it's viable to expect him to be Eric Davis, but my guess is he'll be playing a lot of CF in 2008.

TRF
12-17-2007, 03:05 PM
I've really stayed away from these threads as I thought we already did this a few months ago. But man... my boy Pelland got no love.

M2
12-17-2007, 04:02 PM
I've really stayed away from these threads as I thought we already did this a few months ago. But man... my boy Pelland got no love.

He's looking like a strong candidate for #18.

Though the Tyler Pelland vs. Pedro Viola conversation really hasn't been engaged yet.

Pelland outpitched Viola in the AFL, though a 1.56 WHIP there points out why Pelland's a shaky proposition (he's no Paul Komentani).