PDA

View Full Version : Wake Me Up When Tiger Retires!

MWM
12-16-2007, 10:14 PM
So Tiger throws the clubs in the garage, then rolls out of bed almost 3 months later and rolls over the field by 7 strokes.

It's gotten beyond ridiculous. For the record, I love Tiger Woods. He's excellence personified. I love watching his mind work on the golf course. I love his precision, and I love his swagger. But enough already! SOMEONE please step up. It's gotten boring. One of the things I love about watching athletes like Tiger is how they always seem to find a way to pull it out when the game is on the line. But with Tiger, the game never seems to be on the line. He's blowing everybody out.

I want to see Tiger break every record inthe book in the greatest golfing career the sport has ever seen (I think he's the best ever already). But I'd at least like to watch him have to battle someone from time to time.

Tiger has such a grip on the mind of all the other golfers that these guys have lost before the tee it off on #1. Someone needs to grow a pair and take this guy on. Roray Sabbitini ain't the guy to do it. Sergio obviously ain't the guy either. I don't know who it is, but Tiger needs someone to play Jack's Palmer, Player, or Watson.

Otherwise, I'm just going to have to sleep through the golf season through the next 10 years. And I love golf.

GoReds33
12-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Atleast he's American. I can't stand Federer.

MrCinatit
12-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Maybe there should be a Tiger Handy Cap - like a guy standing behind him with a full blown paper bag, ready to pop it at any moment's notice.

Meanwhile, I saw where Tiger said the PGA will begin testing for steroids later this year. Steroids? In golf? Seriously?

SunDeck
12-16-2007, 10:49 PM
He didn't even play that well. Guys just seem to fold when they face the prospect of going against him in the final round. How many times did he leave the door open this afternoon, three, four?

MWM
12-16-2007, 10:53 PM
He didn't even play that well. Guys just seem to fold when they face the prospect of going against him in the final round. How many times did he leave the door open this afternoon, three, four?

I'm convinced he does that because he gets bored and wants to feel like there's something riding on some of his shots.

Screwball
12-16-2007, 11:38 PM

Yep, that mental edge he has on his opponents is HUGE. I can definitely relate:

A few years back I was playing in a CYA Jr. golf tournament at Avon Field (awful, awful course). On the second (and last) day of competition with two holes left, I found myself 1 stroke back of the leader who just happened to be the reigning city champ for my age group. This is a kid who had been qualifying for national tournaments and placing pretty well. To us, he was our Tiger Woods that nobody seemed to beat.

I remember forming a simple strategy: fire at the pins, and get the putts to the hole - I would need 2 birdies. So I followed my strategy. And when I short-sided myself on approaches, and rammed my putts well past the hole, I walked away with back to back bogeys. My Tiger Woods? He also bogied the last two holes and still came away with 1st place. Frustrated the hell out of me too.

Going against a competitor who you know has been unflappable in the past puts an extra - and substantial - amount of pressure on you to perform above and beyond what you'd normally feel comfortable doing. Especially in the clutch. I tried to do too much, and it backfired. When I watch these guys fold like lawn chairs to Tiger on Sunday, I can't help but think they do the same thing.

Highlifeman21
12-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Maybe there should be a Tiger Handy Cap - like a guy standing behind him with a full blown paper bag, ready to pop it at any moment's notice.

Meanwhile, I saw where Tiger said the PGA will begin testing for steroids later this year. Steroids? In golf? Seriously?

Golfers get injured too.

Steroids help the healing process (supposedly).

You'd be surprised the golfers that juice.

Betterread
12-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Didn't Zach Johnson overtake Tiger in the final round at this year's masters?
Didn't Tiger get Lasik surgery right after losing to Johnson at the Masters?
He's not invincible. He's very competitive.

Razor Shines
12-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Didn't Zach Johnson overtake Tiger in the final round at this year's masters?
Didn't Tiger get Lasik surgery right after losing to Johnson at the Masters?
He's not invincible. He's very competitive.

I don't think he "overtook" Tiger. I don't think Tiger ever had the lead. I think Tiger made a charge to make it close, but Johnson played well and held him off. My memory could be wrong about that and it may not have much to do with your point anyway. The only point I'm trying to make is that Tiger doesn't get "overtaken" when he has the lead.

George Foster
12-17-2007, 01:34 AM
I don't think he "overtook" Tiger. I don't think Tiger ever had the lead. I think Tiger made a charge to make it close, but Johnson played well and held him off. My memory could be wrong about that and it may not have much to do with your point anyway. The only point I'm trying to make is that Tiger doesn't get "overtaken" when he has the lead.

your right...Johnson had the lead after Sat. and shot a 68 on Sunday.

Yachtzee
12-17-2007, 07:47 AM
I went to the Bridgestone Invitational this year and Tiger was something else. You could tell there was something else about him, aside from the "Tiger Wave" of people following him around. He just seems so driven to win. Every time I saw him, he seemed totally focused on the game, no time for idle chit chat or whatever that many of the other golfers would engage in. He just seemed all business.

redsmetz
12-17-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't golf and I only watch golf on TV when I occasionally surf channels, but I saw this shot live and even my wife was stunned at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj5rOuNM_QE

And the ball even gave a pause for the Nike symbol. I'm guessing the advertising guys at Nike wet themselves when they saw this.

RFS62
12-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Watching Tiger is like watching a 28 year old Willie Mays. Or maybe Secretariat.

Or maybe like watching Willie Mays riding Secretariat in centerfield, running down fly balls.

IowaRed
12-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Watching Tiger is like watching a 28 year old Willie Mays. Or maybe Secretariat.

Or maybe like watching Willie Mays riding Secretariat in centerfield, running down fly balls.

that has to make somebody's sig

MWM
01-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, he rolls out of bed again and has a 4 shot lead after 2 rounds.

He might win 12 times this year. There's something about him that's changed. He's even more intense on the golf course, and seems to be in total contentment off. He's matured as a man, and that's scary for everyone else on the tour.

George Foster
01-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Well, he rolls out of bed again and has a 4 shot lead after 2 rounds.

He might win 12 times this year. There's something about that's changed. He's even more intense on the golf course, and seems to be in total contentment off. He's matured as a man, and that's scary for everyone else on the tour.

You can make a very good argument, based on Tigers age, that his very best golf is still ahead of him.

I agree with you MWM, that it's not much fun to watch. I don't care if he eventually wins the event, I want it to be fun to watch on Sunday. I want someone to make a charge, Tiger to bogey, then it comes down to #18.

Jack has said that Watson made him a better golfer because Tom pushed him. If Tiger is this good now, how good would he be if someone pushed him?

Redhook
01-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Jack has said that Watson made him a better golfer because Tom pushed him. If Tiger is this good now, how good would he be if someone pushed him?

Tiger doens't need someone to push him to new levels. He pushes himself. He sets his own standards. That's why he's the best ever.

GoReds33
01-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Tiger doens't need someone to push him to new levels. He pushes himself. He sets his own standards. That's why he's the best ever.I couldn't have said it better. Tiger's on another level from these golfers. He's the Ricky Bobby of golf.:)

Razor Shines
01-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I couldn't have said it better. Tiger's on another level from these golfers. He's the Ricky Bobby of golf.:)

Or the Jackie Moon of golf.

RFS62
01-27-2008, 06:02 PM
This Tiger guy is pretty good.

Highlifeman21
01-28-2008, 01:04 AM
This Tiger guy is pretty good.

He doesn't suck.

MWM
01-31-2008, 01:40 PM
So I go in and check ESPN.com and what do I see, a headline saying Tiger leads after the first round of Dubai. I think the rest of golf is just so demoralized at this point, they've just lost the will to try to win. Tiger might win 12 times this year. I hate to sound overly dramatic at the beginning of the year, but it's possible we might be watching the beginning of the great year of golf anyone has ever seen.

Highlifeman21
01-31-2008, 07:23 PM
So I go in and check ESPN.com and what do I see, a headline saying Tiger leads after the first round of Dubai. I think the rest of golf is just so demoralized at this point, they've just lost the will to try to win. Tiger might win 12 times this year. I hate to sound overly dramatic at the beginning of the year, but it's possible we might be watching the beginning of the great year of golf anyone has ever seen.

I'd like to think so, but it's a long long long season.

And everyone comes to play in Majors. More often than not, Tiger just brings a better game.

Regardless, I think we will see at least 2 Majors from the Striped One this year, and he'll win at least 6 times. I just don't feel comfortable enough to project more than 6, due to the fact it's a long long long season and anyone could get a hot putter at anytime and challenge Tiger.

Hell, look at Steve Stricker the last 2+ years. 3+ years ago, it was "Steve who?"

Chip R
01-31-2008, 07:50 PM
I can see how people think Tiger winning all the time is boring. But look at it another way. He's playing some of the best golf that anyone in history has played. It's like watching Babe Ruth during the mid-late 20s as RFS can personally attest to. If we continually look for excellence in our athletes and reward it, how can we just wave off what Tiger's doing as boring? It'd be great if there was a Nicklaus to his Palmer or a Watson to his Nicklaus or a Snead to his Hogan giving him better competition. But you have to play against the guys that are there. The question is is Tiger just head and shoulders above these guys or are these guys just a bunch of shlubs that serve as Tiger's Washington Generals?

Redhook
01-31-2008, 08:31 PM
I can see how people think Tiger winning all the time is boring.

While last week's tournament wasn't the most entertaining, Tiger is rarely boring. In fact, I find it hard to watch a tournament without Tiger.

The question is is Tiger just head and shoulders above these guys or are these guys just a bunch of shlubs that serve as Tiger's Washington Generals?

The guys Tiger is playing against are very good golfers, he is just on another level. Tiger would dominate any era in golf. He's the best ever. By far.

Chip R
01-31-2008, 08:45 PM
The guys Tiger is playing against are very good golfers, he is just on another level. Tiger would dominate any era in golf. He's the best ever. By far.

I agree. I will watch a few rounds of the majors, the Ryder cup and sometimes some regular tournaments but I refuse to believe that Tiger's playing against a bunch of shlubs. The thing that impresses me about Tiger is that he wants to get better and continues to. He reminds me of Michael Jordan in that way.

MWM
02-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Well, apparently a 4 stroke lead wasn't enough for Els as he chokes on the last hole allowing Tiger to win shotting a final round 65 including birides on 5 of his last 7. Els is one of the few guys capable of challenging Tiger consistently and I'd love to see him back on top of his game. I'm a big fan of Els, but I'm afraid a loss like today can be a big jolt to the confidence.

redhawkfish
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Even though he won two majors, it's a shame someone like John Daly became such a train wreck. In no way am I say he has ever been even close to as talented as Tiger, but a final round of a major with those two in the final pairing could have been awesome.

Betterread
02-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Tiger earned 7 birdies out of the last 9 holes to win. Very impressive. His swing looks a little more controlled. Very good start for the year.
Els looked so good yesterday. His swing is so smooth, what was wrong today - esp. on 18? ( I know "wrong" is relative - he still shot a 71 on a tough course).

Chip R
02-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Even though he won two majors, it's a shame someone like John Daly became such a train wreck. In no way am I say he has ever been even close to as talented as Tiger, but a final round of a major with those two in the final pairing could have been awesome.

Tiger would chew him up and spit him out.