PDA

View Full Version : Should Steroids be allowed?

Caveman Techie
12-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Ok in light of recent events I thought I'd take a different look at things. Why shouldn't steroids be allowed in MLB? Or more specifically the HGH kind of steroids.

If HGH helps the player to heal faster after an injury or to even avoid injury, why shouldn't they be allowed to use it? After a pitcher gets done pitching he would head back into the trainers room, pop some asprin for the swelling, put an ice pack on his shoulder, and get his booster shot of HGH steroids to help his shoulder and arm heal.

HGH is not the "bulk up and bash em" steroid so is it really cheating? I mean if all (I'm not an expert on the subject) it does is help the player heal faster, then why not? I know there would have to be more studies done on the matter to insure the saftey of the players. But if it is found to be safe would you support it's use in MLB? How about other sports?

schmidty622
12-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I say make Steroids AND HGH mandatory. The it wont be unfair and everyone will be happy. Well except the players, they will be very angry all the time.

TN Red Fan
12-17-2007, 12:03 PM
While I'm generally disturbed by this line of thinking, and don't even want to entertain the idea, the bottom line is that the US Congress would NEVER allow such a scenario to exist. No need to even get into a discussion about what your saying would do to the integrity of the sport.

Redsfan61
12-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Its probably for the same reason pot isn't legal. The thinking is it would lead to a more dangerous drug such as cocaine. Thus if HGH is allowed, labs would be working to create HGH 2 or HGH ultra.

Caveman Techie
12-17-2007, 12:35 PM
While I'm generally disturbed by this line of thinking, and don't even want to entertain the idea, the bottom line is that the US Congress would NEVER allow such a scenario to exist. No need to even get into a discussion about what your saying would do to the integrity of the sport.

I don't see your point about US Congress? HGH steroids are legal if prescribed by a physician. Where the legality comes in to play is how the drugs are obtained. HGH has been a prescribed medication for children with growth problems since the 50's. It was only recently though that the side benefits (faster healing) was "discovered".

I'm still not sure about where I come down on this side of the argument. I'm definately against the use of Anabolic steroids, but HGH I'm not so sure. If we have the technology to help a body recover quicker simply by taking a pill or a shot, why wouldn't we? Safety? That is a legitimate concern. More study would have to be done to make sure it was safe to use in this kind of context.

OUReds
12-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Ummm, because it would be illegal?

Or do you propose to have doctors write sham prescriptions to anyone who wants them? Which would also be, ummm, illegal.

Federal HGH Law (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode21/usc_sec_21_00000333----000-.html)

Caveman Techie
12-17-2007, 01:05 PM
No, it's not illegal as long as it is prescribed by a physician, and the reason they are prescribing the drug is for legitimate uses. What I am saying is that should helping professional athletes heal from the day to day injuries and grind of a season be considered a legitimate use? I don't know, I was just introducing the topic for discussion.

AdamDunn
12-17-2007, 01:31 PM
There are too many moral implications if you allow it. It would basically require every baseball player to use it in order to compete in the league. Those whose morals are against it would not survive in the league. I don't think that it is fair for someone to be put in that situation: morals or career.

12-17-2007, 01:38 PM
HGH is not the "bulk up and bash em" steroid so is it really cheating?

HGH is a performance enhancing drug. It does not lead to greater strength and size the same way that anabolic steriods do, but it makes the person taking them leaner, faster and in overall better shape.
A person taking HGH will have an edge over someone not taking it. Batters have quicker swings, and pitchers have faster fastballs, and sometimes, even more control. People taking them also seem to have more endurance.

OUReds
12-17-2007, 01:53 PM
No, it's not illegal as long as it is prescribed by a physician, and the reason they are prescribing the drug is for legitimate uses. What I am saying is that should helping professional athletes heal from the day to day injuries and grind of a season be considered a legitimate use? I don't know, I was just introducing the topic for discussion.

Prescribing HGH to heal quicker from the day to day grind of a season is not using it for "the treatment of a disease or other recognized medical condition" allowed for under the law. Anyone distributing it for that purpose would be guilty of a federal felony.

Leaving aside the legal issue, the long term health effects of abusing HGH are unknown. You would be essentially forcing players to play russian roulette with their health in order to fairly compete for a job.

The credibility hit the baseball would take by allowing any kind of steroids to be used would be catastrophic. You think we have a mess now, just wait until HGH use is SANCTIONED by the league. Baseball would become the laughingstock of every professional sporting league.

Athletes also do not use HGH and other steroids primarily to "heal faster". That's just a convenient excuse to use when they get caught. They use it because the economic benefit of even slightly better production (or an extra year or two in the league) is too tempting to pass up. By giving the veneer of some sort of phony medical justification for it's use you just make it even more tempting for players to cheat. In the end that's what steroid use in baseball is all about. Not to heal faster, not to be there for one's teammate's by playing more or better, but to cheat because you are greedy.

What you are proposing would destroy baseball.

Keystone12
12-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Plus, it would continue the stupid debate of past vs. present.

Can you imagine the thousands of threads where people rant about the validity of pre-HGH era stats and post-HGH era stats? It would be worse than the 162 game season, worse than the "juiced ball"... it would render certain statistics incomparable!

Think before you post.

Bip Roberts
12-17-2007, 03:24 PM
No because im not going to punish players who can do it naturally

Caveman Techie
12-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Think before you post.

Wow! Did I offend you in someway? If so I apologize. I was just wanting to get some different opinions on a subject. I'll be sure to not ever do that again.

Sorry.

Triples
12-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Prescribing HGH to heal quicker from the day to day grind of a season is not using it for "the treatment of a disease or other recognized medical condition" allowed for under the law. Anyone distributing it for that purpose would be guilty of a federal felony.

Leaving aside the legal issue, the long term health effects of abusing HGH are unknown. You would be essentially forcing players to play russian roulette with their health in order to fairly compete for a job.

The credibility hit the baseball would take by allowing any kind of steroids to be used would be catastrophic. You think we have a mess now, just wait until HGH use is SANCTIONED by the league. Baseball would become the laughingstock of every professional sporting league.

Athletes also do not use HGH and other steroids primarily to "heal faster". That's just a convenient excuse to use when they get caught. They use it because the economic benefit of even slightly better production (or an extra year or two in the league) is too tempting to pass up. By giving the veneer of some sort of phony medical justification for it's use you just make it even more tempting for players to cheat. In the end that's what steroid use in baseball is all about. Not to heal faster, not to be there for one's teammate's by playing more or better, but to cheat because you are greedy.

What you are proposing would destroy baseball.

I hate the idea of allowing HGH to be allowed in baseball; for all the reasons already noted in this thread. The most important is that I don't want my son to try something that has unproven long term hazards. With that said, I'm curious; is HGH approved by the FDA, even as off label, to help folks recovering from legitimate injuries or illnesses? Do heart attack patients take it to heal faster? What about cancer victims, or amputees, or soldiers wounded in combat, etc, etc, etc? I believe the answer is no. So why in God's good name are we discussing allowing baseball players to use because their arms are sore????? It's a freakin game people; (albeit the greatest one on the planet). Lets get some perspective here.

While I'm on my soap box...The reason this is even being considered is why I will maintain until I die that we fans are as culpable for the "steroid era" as are the players, the owners, the union and the comish. Because we all love to see our favorite players excel and be superstars. Fans have been convinced for years that steroid use was rampant but yet in record numbers we buried our heads in the perverbial sand and filled the stadiums, bought the premium channels on TV and satellite radio. So by our actions we encouraged the aforementioned people to keep on doing what they were doing. If folks like you and me had said, I've had enough and stopped spending our money on the sport, Selig, the owners, the union and the players would have had a drug policy 10 years ago that's equal to the olympics.

steig
12-17-2007, 08:24 PM
From what I know, HGH can bulk you up similar to steroids. Anabolic steroids are usually the preferred choice for bulking up mainly because of cost. HGH can run in the thousands of dollars per month supply versus several hundred dollars for anabolic steroids. HGH allows for new cell and muscle cell growth within the body. This is one of the reasons why Bonds feet have grown over 3 sizes and his head over 1/4 inch. When you go off steroids you inevitably loose some of the size that you put on during the cycle. But when you stop taking HGH all the new cells that were created due to the increase in HGH stay. Yes, HGH helps athletes recover from injuries faster, but it will also increase their endurance, aid recovery time between games, and make them faster and stronger. Players are just using injury as an excuse that the public will buy at this point in time.

If we allow athletes to take these performance enhancers then how can we relate to the athletes. Would you respect their ability to perform on the field in the same manner, or would we simply shrug their super human performances off as drug aided. And what about when the players start dying in their mid 40's from complications caused by steroid abuse. I'm all in favor of allowing people to make their own decisions in life, including the use of drugs, but if it forces other players to take these to compete for a job or forces high school kids to use steroids to get drafted, then they should be banned from sport.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-17-2007, 09:41 PM
From what I know, HGH can bulk you up similar to steroids. Anabolic steroids are usually the preferred choice for bulking up mainly because of cost. HGH can run in the thousands of dollars per month supply versus several hundred dollars for anabolic steroids. HGH allows for new cell and muscle cell growth within the body. This is one of the reasons why Bonds feet have grown over 3 sizes and his head over 1/4 inch. When you go off steroids you inevitably loose some of the size that you put on during the cycle. But when you stop taking HGH all the new cells that were created due to the increase in HGH stay. Yes, HGH helps athletes recover from injuries faster, but it will also increase their endurance, aid recovery time between games, and make them faster and stronger. Players are just using injury as an excuse that the public will buy at this point in time.

If we allow athletes to take these performance enhancers then how can we relate to the athletes. Would you respect their ability to perform on the field in the same manner, or would we simply shrug their super human performances off as drug aided. And what about when the players start dying in their mid 40's from complications caused by steroid abuse. I'm all in favor of allowing people to make their own decisions in life, including the use of drugs, but if it forces other players to take these to compete for a job or forces high school kids to use steroids to get drafted, then they should be banned from sport.Going by the report hgh is between 3000-5000 per shipment;)