PDA

View Full Version : Off to Iraq

thatcoolguy_22
12-17-2007, 05:19 PM
A few already knew about my imminent departure but I had as Peter King would say "aggravating travel note" attempting to leave yesterday. Here goes...

I am suppose to leave from Norfolk International at 1045 EST. I arrive at the airport and attempt to pick up my tickets only to find that the Air Force FORGOT to pay for my tickets. There is an instant rush to get the funding approved in time for my flight (which ultimately fails miserably). Next option is a flight that will take me to Frankfurt Germany. They force me to use my Government travel card (basically a credit card that I have to pay off at the end of every month or receive punishment because the USAF is too cheap to pay any interest) for the tune of 1600$ (anyone ever buy a ticket to Germany 30 minutes before it departs...). Problem is that the AF (air force from here on out) does not procure a travel voucher until I have been in-country for a minimum of 45 days. Meaning I will have to pay out of pocket money that I do not have readily available. My plane boards at 12:58 pm. At 12:56pm they call to tell me to get a refund on my card and wait at the airport for further instruction. 3:45 (I have now been waiting in the lobby since 8 am) I finally get another call telling me to board a plane to London where I will have a 21 hour lay over (I would be forced to stay in the airport the entire time because they will be attempting to procure travel at a earlier time). I purchase tickets and 30 minutes before boarding at 4:25 I get a call telling me to go home and I will be leaving on 17 Dec at 4pm EST with a direct flight to Doha, Qatar. I wake up this morning to the news that I am not taking that flight either because they could not come up with a logical way of getting me out of Qatar. Now I am in limbo with no idea when I am going to leave. Everything that I own is presently packed up in storage except for my travel bags and the equipment I'm taking with me...

:beerme: to the AF's ineptitude.

However I will be back (hopefully its not extended) my the end of May beginning of June.

remdog
12-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Yikes!

Um, doesn't the AF have some planes or something. Seems I heard that they were involved with that new fangled flying technology or something. :)

Rem

Matt700wlw
12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Good luck, God bless, and thank you for your service.

RedsManRick
12-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Imagine if you were in the Army!......

JK! Good luck over there and thanks to all of our RZ Armed Forces members.

WMR
12-17-2007, 05:51 PM
What are you going to be doing over there?

thatcoolguy_22
12-17-2007, 05:56 PM
What are you doing to be doing over there?

I'm an air traffic controller by trade... I just got word that I am to remain on standby status until christmas and if I'm still not out then I will be delayed until 10 Jan...

And thanks everyone :thumbup:

Chip R
12-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Talk about your travel nightmare. :eek:

Keep your head down and best wishes.

Caveat Emperor
12-17-2007, 06:09 PM
I know it's cliche, but thank you so much for what you do.

Good luck! Stay safe over there.

cumberlandreds
12-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Best of luck to you! The government and military never cease to amaze me at their ineptitiude on what should be a simple thing. That is a true travel nightmare.

paintmered
12-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Best of luck to you! The government and military never cease to amaze me at their ineptitiude on what should be a simple thing. That is a true travel nightmare.

Obviously you don't work for them. :laugh:

Yachtzee
12-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Good luck and we wish you a safe return. A friend of mine who was just elected our local law director is also a JAG officer in the reserves. He just got called up last week to do a tour in Iraq. Adding to the sentiments of others, thank you.

GAC
12-17-2007, 08:12 PM
You're in our prayers cool guy.

redsfan30
12-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Good luck and thank you!!!

George Foster
12-18-2007, 12:22 AM
Thank-you so much for your service. It might be a blessing, you could get to spend Christmas as home, and see some bowl games:thumbup:

Again, thank you for your service. Keep save and get our boys on the ground safely as well. My God bless you and keep you.

camisadelgolf
12-18-2007, 02:54 AM
I've had to buy a ticket out of Germany with 20 minutes' notice before. It cost me about half of your flight, and I was travelling to the States. It must have something to do with the holiday season. Seeing as how you're in the Air Force, why didn't you just fly your own plane somewhere?

BuckWoody
12-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Godspeed, tcg22. Be careful and come home safely.

RFS62
12-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Good luck, coolguy. Thank you for your service, and stay safe.

hebroncougar
12-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Good luck, stay safe, and thank you for the sacrifices you are making.

durl
12-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Our prayers are with you. Thank you for your service and let your fellow servicemen and women that we're behind them.

The government and military never cease to amaze me at their ineptitiude on what should be a simple thing.

Keep that in mind this election year when you hear all the campaign promises. :D

thatcoolguy_22
12-18-2007, 10:32 AM
thanks again everyone. It looks like I am going to be leaving tomorrow morning (19 Dec).

RBA
12-18-2007, 12:30 PM
They couldn't come up with a way to get you out of Qatar? They should just get you there. Once in Qatar, they have transient quarters for you as you wait for a C-130 to Iraq. One person/one seat should not have to wait long getting out from Qatar.