PDA

View Full Version : Fox 19 dropping UC basketball

Matt700wlw
12-17-2007, 05:43 PM
John Kiesewetter's blog:

Channel 19 Dropping UC Basketball

The University of Cincinnati' move to the Big East has cost the Bearcats its local TV contract.
After 26 years, WXIX-TV (Channel 19) will stop producing local UC basketball games with the UC-Miami telecast Dec. 29.

"This is purely an economic decision," says John Long, Channel 19 general manager.

The station was losing money on Bearcats basketball, a 10-year contract signed five years ago, he says. Long informed UC officials last week the station was exercising its option to get out of the contract after five years.

"The economics of the deal has changed greatly in the last five years," Long says.

UC’s basketball fortunes and the TV landscape also looks much different today, when college basektball games can be found all over the TV dial and Fox's "American Idol" makes it difficult to pre-empt the nation's No. 1 TV show for local sports. Xavier University has not had a local TV affiliate for several years.

terminator
12-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Rats. I don't have cable so I hate seeing the constant move away from regular broadcast TV. The Bengals will be the only local sports team left on broadcast TV.

Caveat Emperor
12-17-2007, 06:12 PM
"The economics of the deal has changed greatly in the last five years," Long says.

UCís basketball fortunes and the TV landscape also looks much different today, when college basektball games can be found all over the TV dial and Fox's "American Idol" makes it difficult to pre-empt the nation's No. 1 TV show for local sports. Xavier University has not had a local TV affiliate for several years.

Ding.

I don't even want to think how much money in local-spots they lose whenever they pre-empt even 1 episode of that show.

For the record, I'm happy to report I've never watched a minute of American Idol and I intend to continue that tradition this season.

Unassisted
12-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Rats. I don't have cable so I hate seeing the constant move away from regular broadcast TV. The Bengals will be the only local sports team left on broadcast TV.
There's this new thing called the NFL Network that'll be eroding that for you soon. ;)

GoReds33
12-17-2007, 08:01 PM
This sucks. I always watch the games. I really can't blame them though. UC really sucks this year. I really hope they are awesome in the next couple years. Maybe then they can be back on local tv.

How about a Big East Network???

paintmered
12-17-2007, 08:14 PM
This sucks. I always watch the games. I really can't blame them though. UC really sucks this year. I really hope they are awesome in the next couple years. Maybe then they can be back on local tv.

How about a Big East Network???

Me thinks this has more to do with the popularity of American Idol more than the woes of the Bearcats.

There already is a Big East Network. It's called ESPN.

Redlegs23
12-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Hopefully they regret this decision in the next few years.

guttle11
12-17-2007, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't completely blame American Idol. AI isn't on during the non-conference schedule...

And if UC improves, I'm sure FSN would jump at the opportunity to show some games. They show some Xavier games, and UC would draw a bigger rating I'm sure.

paintmered
12-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't completely blame American Idol. AI isn't on during the non-conference schedule...

And if UC improves, I'm sure FSN would jump at the opportunity to show some games. They show some Xavier games, and UC would draw a bigger rating I'm sure.

When does American Idol start?

Virginia Beach Reds
12-17-2007, 10:35 PM
When does American Idol start?

First of January, I believe.

Caveat Emperor
12-18-2007, 12:28 AM
John Kiesewetter's blog:

Incidentally -- and slightly off topic -- John Kiesewetter's blog used to be one of the best sources of comedy on the internet. Kiesewetter himself is a pretty crap reporter, but his readers were a riot.

They used to let comments be posted to his blogs unmoderated and anonymously, and people posted liberally on just about anything he wrote. The majority of the posters looked to be local TV / radio station employees and would take every opportunity to trash out bosses, competition, the industry, co-workers -- just about anything you can imagine.

They've required all comments be moderated now, so it isn't quite the free-for-all that it used to be, but it's still really funny whenever he posts anything local-TV or radio oriented.

KronoRed
12-18-2007, 01:12 AM
I like this, the Sunday night animated block should never be pushed back to 1am because of UC
:)

SeeinRed
12-18-2007, 09:58 AM
I would have to believe that if the Bearcats were still the force they once were, this wouldn't happen. The once great program and fan base is falling apart and it is just sad. I don't know that UC will ever reach where it was before. I think it is possible, but its scary to think how far they have to go yet. IMO, this is a huge blow to UC and the fans. This program is in shambles. Once full 5/3 Arena is now is about 3/5 full on a good day. There is not excitement around the basketball season like there once was. On one side, its just rediculous to think that fans would jump off the band wagon so quickly because of failure. The fans are letting the team down in some cases. As fans, we should demand excellence, not be apathetic to the team when it loses. There are plenty of good reasons to dislike what is going on, but the chance to strongarm changes has passed. UC no longer needs basketball to carry the athletics. They now have Football to do that. On the other side, chalk another blow to the program courtesy of Nancy. How can you care when you see your beloved program run into the ground?

bucksfan2
12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree. I am suprised this isn't being talked about more. UC really won't be televised much after the first of the year. Its not even as if they are being blacked out rather they are not being shown. I wonder what the fall out from this will be. I am sure that there be quite a bit of revenue that disappears.

SeeinRed
12-18-2007, 02:07 PM
The revenue means nothing to Nancy. She thinks she cleaned up the school for the better. She doesn't care about the tradition or what the alums think IMO. She cares about the education aspect. That is all great if that were the only aspect she really dealt with. The problem is she deals with athletics also. UC isn't Harvard by a long shot. They have some great acedemic programs, but they aren't the type of programs to count on for getting students or revenue. Basketball made UC what it was and unfortunately for the basketball fans, football may take the spot of the basketball program. Not saying I dont want UC football to succeed, but it has helped make Nancy feel like she has won IMO. The school didn't go under after the dismantling of the basketball program like many thought. As fans, we shouldn't skip out on games because of her, we should keep going and demand changes to make the team better. Who wants to play in front of a half empty gym at home games? Fans are affecting recruiting. Not on purpose, but they are. I have been a very big supporter, and I think the best way to get things to turn around is to show up and demand change, not stop supporting until there is change. This program was once something to be proud of, I want to see it prosper again. If apathy sets in, why would the school feel a need to fix it?

Really though, where do UC fans go from here? What can we do? I think all we can do is show up and try to make our voices heard. Wether the listen or not, well that is questionable at best.

Sea Ray
01-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I see Ch 19 has the Bearcats on TV tonight. What's up with that? If they continue to pickup ESPN Plus gameas then the loss to Cincinnati viewers isn't as dire as was reported...

Matt700wlw
01-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I guess that's the plan....

Good stuff!

They made some budget cuts, so it may be more "affordable" to do that than produce their own broadcasts.

GO CATS!!! THEY'RE ON FIRE RIGHT NOW!!!

CrackerJack
01-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Writer's strike?

SeeinRed
01-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Writer's strike?

They will actually have quite a few games on 19 this year still. I just think 19 wanted to drop the cost of producing the games. ESPN will foot that bill for them. I even over reacted on that one because that aspect wasn't made clear at first. It actually makes sense for this to happen in a way, although I really like Anthony Buford for some reason. We'll see how this plays out.

Sea Ray
01-10-2008, 09:09 AM
They will actually have quite a few games on 19 this year still. I just think 19 wanted to drop the cost of producing the games. ESPN will foot that bill for them. I even over reacted on that one because that aspect wasn't made clear at first. It actually makes sense for this to happen in a way, although I really like Anthony Buford for some reason. We'll see how this plays out.

I'll say, it wasn't clear at all. The game just appeared last night. The Press releases gave the impression that ch 19 would no longer carry the Bearcats at all.