PDA

View Full Version : UC gives Brian Kelly a new deal

Matt700wlw
12-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Details known at the moment....5 year deal, with $1.2-$1.35 Million (with incentives) per year gauranteed, with a buyout option if the university DOES NOT build an indoor practive facility within two years.

I'm sure more is coming soon.

GoReds33
12-17-2007, 08:04 PM
Great news. Hopefully this helps recruiting. I went to a couple games this year, and there was a lack of talent after the first stringers, with a few exceptions. Hopefully he can build solid depth this year, and replace a few Seniors.

redsfan30
12-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Unless there is a crazy high buy-out clause, this extention isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

marcshoe
12-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Are you saying that football coaches, who talk so much about character, don't always keep their commitments? I'm shocked. Shocked!

Redlegs23
12-17-2007, 09:37 PM
There is a buy-out, the initial buy-out is $2 million, that gradually decreases over the course of the contract, but is tied to the University securing an on-campus indoor practice facility and practice fields. That has to be built by 2009 to be used by all Bearcat athletic teams.

Cedric
12-18-2007, 01:51 AM
I would be shocked if Coach Kelly stayed at UC for more than two-three years. He has incredible ambition and the Athletic department at UC doesn't.

Redlegs23
12-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I had so many UK fans tell me all season how there was no way Kelly would stay at UC, UC isn't bigtime enough for him, Kelly will be gone before the bowl game, blah, blah, blah. Well, he just signed a 5 year extension, said he liked it here and plans to stay. I'm tired of all the talk about UC having no chance to keep him. Even if he does leave after a couple years he has already done great things for our football program.

BTW, I think people were saying those same things about Huggins leaving after he was in the final four in his second or third year at UC, but he liked it here and chose to stay. Maybe Kelly will be the same way.

joshnky
12-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Well, he just signed a 5 year extension, said he liked it here and plans to stay.

You're delusional if you think this means anything at all. Just ask West Virginia and Louisville.

NorrisHopper30
12-18-2007, 01:03 PM
You're delusional if you think this means anything at all. Just ask West Virginia and Louisville.

And the Atlanta Falcons while you're at it!

Good move for the Cats, it'll spark some more interest.

Big game saturday..kill 'em

Redlegs23
12-18-2007, 04:48 PM

It happened a year ago at Cincinnati with Dantonio, it's not like I'm oblivious to the college football coaching carousel. The point of my post was not that I am convinced Kelly will stay at UC for his entire contract. Instead I was saying that I'm tired of all the negativity with people saying there's no way he'll stay at UC because UC isn't good enough basically. Every time UC won a game this past year a few UK fans at work were sure to tell me how Kelly was a goner after the season. Looks like they were wrong.

BuckeyeRed27
12-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Kelly will be gone within 3 years if UC keeps winning. They should be very strong this season and Ohio has enough talent that he should be able to stay at the top of the Big East for as long as he wants to be there. The problem is there are better jobs in the Big East and Big 10 which are in the area that will come up.

Sea Ray
12-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Unless there is a crazy high buy-out clause, this extention isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

This really isn't big news seeing as he had 4 years left on last year's 5 yr deal. I'm amazed schools like UC don't put bigger buyout clauses than $2mill. It'll be interesting if he's still there to see those facilities built in 2009. It might work out that his buyout will end up paying for it.

If he does leave I'd think they would just promote Kerry Coombs from within.

Chip R
12-19-2007, 10:25 AM
If he does leave I'd think they would just promote Kerry Coombs from within.

Forget Kerry, they need Jim.