PDA

View Full Version : Vote for your favorite actor (new and researched) :)

Cedric
12-18-2007, 02:26 AM
Just overall popularity. You wanted a new list so I tried my best :)

TOP TEN ONLY! If you vote for more I will delete your votes and make another boring poll with 150 options next time :)

TeamCasey
12-18-2007, 05:05 AM
MUCH better! :)

SunDeck
12-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Val Kilmer?! The guy has had to stoop to roles on Numbers, for gosh sakes.

But I do like the revisions, overall. There are so many great ones, but I completely forgot some of them, like Duvall and Spencer Tracy. How could I miss them?

MrCinatit
12-18-2007, 07:19 AM
I hate to say this, but at least Orson Wells, Val Kilmer and Laurence Olivia are listed at least twice.
Other than that, a very good list - and I had an exceedingly tough time choosing.

marcshoe
12-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Kudos for including Joseph Cotton, one of my favorites.

And as I type this, I realize I voted for ten, but didn't include Orson Wells. Sorry.

bucksfan2
12-18-2007, 09:35 AM
No Bruce Willis, is this a true list?

Puffy
12-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Nicholas Cage with two votes?? Worst actor of all time.

And Leo DiCaprio should be on the list. He's that good

pahster
12-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Nick Cage? Ugh.

MrCinatit
12-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Leo's on there, between Pacino and Depp (unless I have misunderstood your statement...which for me is common)

RFS62
12-18-2007, 10:58 AM

Sorry, Nicholas Cage is a pud, but the worst actor of all time is Keanu Reeves.

Whoa.

Yeah, he's pretty good. I'm surprised you don't have DB Sweeney and Moira Kelly on your list, Puffster.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EDKD3077L._SS500_.jpg

klw
12-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Based on the family DVD collection I would have gone with Matt Damon, Pitt, Redford, Hugh Grant, and Colin Firth.

Puffy
12-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Leo's on there, between Pacino and Depp (unless I have misunderstood your statement...which for me is common)

Whoops - you're right! Totally missed him.

Puffy
12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Sorry, Nicholas Cage is a pud, but the worst actor of all time is Keanu Reeves.

Whoa.

Don't you have an AARP meeting to go to or something? Heck, its almost 1:00 in Lauderdale - almost dinnertime at Denny's for you.

will5979
12-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Why is Stallone and Schwarzenegger not included?

westofyou
12-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Why is Stallone and Schwarzenegger not included?

Because they can't act? Well Stallone was good in Copland... but then again that was actually a well written piece of work.

SunDeck
12-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Because they can't act? Well Stallone was good in Copland... but then again that was actually a well written piece of work.

And he was playing a half deaf lug who didn't speak much. Keanu could have done that.

Well, maybe not.

And speaking of Nicholas Cage- the guy is great as a comedic actor. See Moonstruck or Raising Arizona for proof. It's all the other stuff he can't do.

Jack Burton
12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Cage was good in 'Wild at Heart' but Willem Dafoe stole that flick in the role of Bobby Peru.

RFS62
12-19-2007, 11:34 AM
And speaking of Nicholas Cage- the guy is great as a comedic actor. See Moonstruck or Raising Arizona for proof. It's all the other stuff he can't do.

Yeah, I guess. Raising Arizona is an all time favorite of mine. Incredible cast, script and direction.

OK, then.

BuckeyeRed27
12-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Surprised there isn't more love for Russell Crowe and Leo. I think those guys are the top 2 right now.

SunDeck
12-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I guess. Raising Arizona is an all time favorite of mine. Incredible cast, script and direction.

OK, then.

Then again, put Keanu in a Cohen Brothers movie and he becomes a real actor, too.

Then again, maybe not.

jimbo
12-19-2007, 02:24 PM
I know it's probably impossible to get the perfect list here, but I would have voted for Paul Giamatti if he had been on the list. He's become one of my favorites ever since Sideways.

marcshoe
12-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Hmmm...I didn't vote for Charlton Heston, who my name is showing up next to, but I did vote for Joseph Cotton, who is showing one vote but no name....curious.

*BaseClogger*
12-19-2007, 04:15 PM
I have a couple of thoughts (I'm probably nit-picking):
*No actor will get a "majority." I believe the term you were looking for was plurality.
*How did you devise the order for your list? It should be in alphabetical order to avoid bias.
*Why are comedians like Bill Murray and Jim Carey included but not others? It surely can't be because they are good in serious roles. In that case, you should have listed Will Ferrell for his "glorious acting job" in Stranger Than Fiction.

Nice job on the poll though:thumbup:

Chip R
12-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Hmmm...I didn't vote for Charlton Heston, who my name is showing up next to, but I did vote for Joseph Cotton, who is showing one vote but no name....curious.

There were some duplicate names in there and I "fixed" it and may have put an actor at the bottom of the poll where the duplicate name was so that may be why it's showing that you voted for someone you didn't.

edabbs44
12-19-2007, 04:22 PM

Poll is for favorite, not best. IMO there is a difference.

Dom Heffner
12-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Only 7 votes for Marlon Brando?

I guess this is more of a popularity poll than greatest actor ever, but Marlon Brando has 3 or 4 performances that would be tough to top by anybody.

I believe it was Jack Nicholson who once said of Brando, "He gave us our freedom."

Indeed.

And Tom Cruise would triple his vote count here if he hadn't gotten so gosh darn weird.

GAC
12-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Of the current class I have to say that Leo D is one of the best. The guy is that good IMO.

Who can argue with guys like Nicholson, DeNiro, and Pacino?

I love Eastwood and Wayne flicks, but they are average actors at best IMO.

Of the older class, my personal favorites are Gary Cooper, Spencer Tracey, Carey Grant.... and might I add Errol Flynn. ;)

Highlifeman21
12-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Awesome, I'm still the only one to pick Val Kilmer.

Loved him in Tombstone. Loved him in Top Gun. Loved him in Willow.

That's right, I said Willow.

WebScorpion
12-19-2007, 10:40 PM

Loved him in Tombstone. Loved him in Top Gun. Loved him in Willow.

That's right, I said Willow.
You forgot Real Genius, The Doors, Heat, Batman Forever, The Salton Sea, The Saint, Alexander, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and The Ten Commandments: The Musical...oh yeah, he's got two votes now. :thumbup:

I'm your huckleberry. :D

RichRed
12-20-2007, 10:33 AM
You forgot Real Genius, The Doors, Heat, Batman Forever, The Salton Sea, The Saint, Alexander, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and The Ten Commandments: The Musical...oh yeah, he's got two votes now. :thumbup:

I'm your huckleberry. :D

Don't forget Thunderheart, an underrated movie in my opinion.

I still wouldn't have Kilmer in my top 10 but that was a good movie, as was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

MrCinatit
12-20-2007, 10:48 AM
There are quite a few guys I am kind of surprised don't have many votes - or even none (Lancaster). But then again, perhaps not so much...
I like older movies, quite a bit. I've probably close to a thousand movies made before the '50s in my collection.
The problem is, most have become so dated, it is pathetic. Yes, there are some which are timeless, such as Citizen Kane. But, even a pure classic like Gone With The Wind looks and feels pretty dated. A problem I have with the period is that much of it seems way too over the top.
All in all, that actually makes me regret my omission of Brando. After all, he was one of the guys very responsible for making screen acting "real", rather than advanced stage acting. Perhaps I didn't chose him because he seemed TOO obvious a pick.
There are great actors...then there is Brando.

BuckeyeRed27
12-20-2007, 10:57 AM
I just saw Charlie Wilson's War which confirmed my Tom Hanks pick. However I know wish I would have picked Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

RichRed
12-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah, hard to believe "Moonlight Graham" didn't get even one vote on a baseball forum. :)

westofyou
12-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I just saw Charlie Wilson's War which confirmed my Tom Hanks pick. However I know wish I would have picked Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Tom Hanks is today's Jack Lemmon, a great actor who can grab the screen without classic Hollywood good looks or a six pack and some sweat.

westofyou
12-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah, hard to believe "Moonlight Graham" didn't get even one vote on a baseball forum. :)

I like Lancaster, but seriously can you name 4 movies he was in off the top of your head?

I can name three

Elmer Gantry
From here to eternity
Birdman of Alcatraz

Dom Heffner
12-20-2007, 11:10 AM
All in all, that actually makes me regret my omission of Brando. After all, he was one of the guys very responsible for making screen acting "real", rather than advanced stage acting. Perhaps I didn't chose him because he seemed TOO obvious a pick.
There are great actors...then there is Brando.

In looking at the results, it looks like people agree about Tom Hanks and Robert DeNiro. For me, DeNiro isn't really that great of an actor, unless acting is playing the same guy in every single film. Not much range there, IMHO.

But this more about popularity- the poll is about our favorites, not who we think are the best actors. I can recognize that Dustin Hoffman is probably a better actor than Tom Cruise, but I like Cruise much more so I voted for him.

If this were titled, "Who's the greatest actor of all time?", Benicio Del Toro wouldn't even be on the list.

RichRed
12-20-2007, 11:12 AM
I like Lancaster, but seriously can you name 4 movies he was in off the top of your head?

I can name three

Elmer Gantry
From here to eternity
Birdman of Alcatraz

I couldn't have named even that many.

My list looks like this, in no particular order:

DeNiro
Newman
Hanks
Nicholson
Stewart
Penn
Depp
Grant
Hackman
Lemmon

Though thinking about it now, I'd probably bump Cary Grant in favor of Dustin Hoffman.

Dom Heffner
12-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I should have found a way to put Jack Lemmon on my list. The scene in "Glengarry Glen Ross" where he is sobbing at his sales lead's door is a classic piece of acting.

Actually, that whole movie is an acting class come to think of it.

BuckeyeRed27
12-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Not on the list and probably doesn't deserve it just yet, but as an up and comer I really like Emile Hirsch.

westofyou
12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
In looking at the results, it looks like people agree about Tom Hanks and Robert DeNiro. For me, DeNiro isn't really that great of an actor, unless acting is playing the same guy in every single film. Not much range there, IMHO.

But this more about popularity- the poll is about our favorites, not who we think are the best actors. I can recognize that Dustin Hoffman is probably a better actor than Tom Cruise, but I like Cruise much more so I voted for him.

If this were titled, "Who's the greatest actor of all time?", Benicio Del Toro wouldn't even be on the list.

Wait... Tom Cruise only plays one guy in a film... Tom Cruise - Running Man.

DeNiro In New York New York, This Boys Life, The King of Comedy, Midnight Run, all were off the beaten path for DeNiro, who is typecast as a heavy at this juncture of his career.

Another actor not even mentioned yet (I think) is Harvey Keitel, a great actor.

Another thing is as Americans our perception is skewed.. this is a American heavy list, mostly due to the Hollywood control of the market, but there are some damn good actors not in American films.

westofyou
12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
I should have found a way to put Jack Lemmon on my list. The scene in "Glengarry Glen Ross" where he is sobbing at his sales lead's door is a classic piece of acting.

Actually, that whole movie is an acting class come to think of it.
David Mamet penned, it's a great ensemble, one of the finest limited scene films I've ever seen. tense, tight dialog and low level light to somber it up.

Lemmon's my all time fave, The Apartment, Mr Roberts, Save the Tiger, the man could act.

Dom Heffner
12-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Wait... Tom Cruise only plays one guy in a film... Tom Cruise - Running Man.

Indeed. But Jerry Maguire is not the dude in Minority Report or Dustin Hoffman's brother in Rain Man, either.

Cruise's acting style doesn't change too much, granted, but I don't sit and think that Ethan Hunt is Jerry Maguire while watching Mission Impossible.

With DeNiro, I've seen the performance twenty times. I get his movies confused.

We get it, you can play a mob dude or a crook.

westofyou
12-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Indeed. But Jerry Maguire is not the dude in Minority Report or Dustin Hoffman's brother in Rain Man, either.

Cruise's acting style doesn't change too much, granted, but I don't sit and think that Ethan Hunt is Jerry Maguire while watching Mission Impossible.

With DeNiro, I've seen the performance twenty times. I get his movies confused.

We get it, you can play a mob dude or a crook.

Tom's offerings have gotten weaker acting wise in the past 5 years (IMO) he was dynamic when younger, but he is saddled to this persona that I can't get past now.... maybe it was the night I drank all that cough syrup and watched Vanilla Sky?

Dom Heffner
12-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Tom's offerings have gotten weaker acting wise in the past 5 years (IMO)

Agreed. The Last Samurai was a good movie, but I didn't buy him in it.

dabvu2498
12-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Agreed. The Last Samurai was a good movie, but I didn't buy him in it.

I, surprisingly, really liked Last Samurai as well. Cruise wasn't awful, but Ken Watanabe really carried that film.

Just looked Cruise up on imdb. I'd forgotten some of his older movies (The Outsiders and All the Right Moves in particular) that i really liked.

westofyou
12-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I, surprisingly, really liked Last Samurai as well. Cruise wasn't awful, but Ken Watanabe really carried that film.

Just looked Cruise up on imdb. I'd forgotten some of his older movies (The Outsiders and All the Right Moves in particular) that i really liked.

I saw the Outsiders this weekend, a great big screen movie, really shot beautifully with some awesome lighting and filter work.

Will M
12-20-2007, 01:11 PM
1. Peter Cushing
2. Boris Karloff
3. Bruce Willis
4. Paul Naschy (Spanish horror actor in the 1970s)
5. Donald Pleasence
6. Bruce Campbell
7. Tom Baker (Dr Who)
8. Franco Nero (Italian star of 1970s crime/thrillers)
9. Vincent Price
10. Jackie Chan

vaticanplum
12-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Small point, but I totally disagree with this. Benicio del Toro has ten times the commitment, attack and versatility that someone like Tom Hanks does. He is terrifyingly good at what he does, he just doesn't have as big a body of work. "Most prolific" actor might be a separate category.

I do agree with you on De Niro and Tom Cruise, though. Interestingly, I think their acting both suffered because of career choices. De Niro has talent, but got stuck in a comfort zone. Tom Cruise could have been a much better actor if he hadn't been so determined to be a movie star. Not that I'm putting either of those things down -- it's their choice -- just saying what I see in terms of talent.

pedro
12-20-2007, 02:32 PM
This list is missing Ben Kingsley

Just thinking about his character in "Sexy Beast" gives me the chills.

vaticanplum
12-20-2007, 02:33 PM
This list is missing Ben Kingsley

Just thinking about his character in "Sexy Beast" gives me the chills.

Oh yeah, good call. Ben Kingsley is great.

Dom Heffner
12-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Small point, but I totally disagree with this. Benicio del Toro has ten times the commitment, attack and versatility that someone like Tom Hanks does. He is terrifyingly good at what he does, he just doesn't have as big a body of work. "Most prolific" actor might be a separate category.

For me, Del Toro doesn't belong on a list of the greatest actors of all time, but that isn't necessarily a hit on his talent. Perhaps you are correct, that if his body of work expands he'd be there with most people, but for me, he doesn't even register. Not even a blip.

But again, I guess this is about favorites and not actual talent because the latter is pretty hard to measure.

marcshoe
12-20-2007, 03:28 PM
fwiw, Del Toro is another actor I did not vote for, contrary to the list that's showing up. Looks like instead of Gary Oldman (a longtime favorite) and Joseph Cotton, I ended up with Heston and Del Toro.

Oh well. I should have voted for Orson Wells instead of Oldman anyway.

GAC
12-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Loved him in Tombstone.

He did do a fantastic job as Holiday in Tombstone. Had some of the best movie lines IMO.

"It seems poker's just not your game, Ike. I know: let's have a spelling contest."

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

"I'm your huckleberry."