PDA

View Full Version : The end of an era at The Big One - Gary Burbank's last week

Matt700wlw
12-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Gary Burbank is really leaving this time...4 more shows (counting today)

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071218/ENT/712180337

gilpdawg
12-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Gary Burbank is really leaving this time...4 more shows (counting today)

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071218/ENT/712180337

4 more shows worth listening to on WLW.....sorry Matt.

The article mentioned XM wanting Gary to come aboard. That would be cool if he would do a weekly show or something like that for XM.

Matt700wlw
12-18-2007, 04:50 PM
4 more shows worth listening to on WLW.....sorry Matt.

The article mentioned XM wanting Gary to come aboard. That would be cool if he would do a weekly show or something like that for XM.

That could happen...Bozo still does a show for XM even though he's technically retired.

gilpdawg
12-18-2007, 07:36 PM
That could happen...Bozo still does a show for XM even though he's technically retired.

Let's have "The Redszone Variety Hour" hosted by Matt700wlw. Take calls from US. :cool:

paintmered
12-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Has WLW found a replacement for him?

Raisor
12-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Has WLW found a replacement for him?

Banana Phone Daily!

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Hey Matt,

Anyway to get a cd of just The Synonymous(sp?) Bengal??? or Eunice and Bernice??

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-18-2007, 08:20 PM
• Andy Furman, former WLW-AM "SportsTalk" host who lost his "SupertalkFM96.5" show in the WFTK-FM (96.5) format change Friday to "96 Rock

????How/why would they bring him back if they just fired him a year ago???

Matt700wlw
12-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey Matt,

Anyway to get a cd of just The Synonymous(sp?) Bengal??? or Eunice and Bernice??

email the BBC...maybe they can help you

bbc@700wlw.com

George Anderson
12-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Is Tracy Jones doing "Extra Innings" next year??

RedFanAlways1966
12-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Burbank is a REAL AMERICAN radio icon. :thumbup:

redsfan1966
12-19-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm calling my shot.....Andy Furman WILL be Gary Burbank's replacement...the return of the "one who's name can not be mentioned"--"the third stooge"..of course I will deny everything if it doesnt happen..:D

Joseph
12-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm calling my shot.....Andy Furman WILL be Gary Burbank's replacement...the return of the "one who's name can not be mentioned"--"the third stooge"..of course I will deny everything if it doesnt happen..:D

Thats my guess too.

Roy Tucker
12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm sad to see Gary go. He's been a rush hour friend for longer than I'd like to remember.

Funny guy, great characters, and I wish him well.

Dom Heffner
12-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Burbank was one of several Cincy broadcasters that made me want to get into broadcasting.

When someone like Gary leaves, it's like losing an old friend.

Here's to ya, old pal. :)

Matt700wlw
12-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Thats my guess too.

I don't see it (that'd be competing with ourselves, unless they really shuffle around the lineup)....however, this announcement is more top secret than the Nuclear program.

There isn't a peep about anything coming out of Darryl's office.

Maybe Darryl should be in charge of the Nuclear program :p:

I guess on this one, I won't know any sooner than anybody else :)

LoganBuck
12-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I liked the character retirement/layoff meeting that was on today. Gilbert has a 1-900 number that he and Gary can call in their spare time to hear Mrs. Butterworth say really hot things. I did notice that Dan Buckles said that the "smelly Redneck" would stay on. Is Gary going to still freelance some Earl Pitts?

Jerry Narron
01-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Has anyone heard any news/rumors on who the new host(s) may be?

Matt700wlw
01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
It's begun....

Eddie Fingers and Tracy Jones. I hope it works out for them...I've always like Eddie on the Dawn Patrol, ever since I was a kid, and I understand Tracy's thing, so I find it amusing most of the time....

It will be interesting to hear (which I won't be able to do much of because I'm usually busy 3-6) how it works together.

I'm sure the suspense has been killing everyone... :)

The OFFICIAL release:

TRACY JONES AND EDDIE FINGERS JOIN
THE BIG ONE!

Longtime WEBN morning personality Eddie Fingers and former Reds star and 700WLW weekend personality Tracy Jones have joined The Big One as the new hosts of the station’s 3pm-6pm weekday program. The new show will start on Tuesday, January 8th.

700WLW Director of AM Operations Darryl Parks said, “Having two radio stars such as Tracy and Eddie come to 700WLW is a huge win for us. In a market such as Cincinnati that enjoys its known personalities, having two that have established themselves already is a huge win for us. One of the reasons 700WLW has been so successful over the years is the longevity of its stars. On Tuesday we start a new course toward the future.”

Eddie says, “I sort of look at this like a bad Lifetime cable movie. The husband goes through a divorce and gets remarried and the kids hate the new mom. But, soon they fall in love with her.”

Tracy continued, “Coming up to the Reds in 1988, we used to listen to Gary Burbank each day in the Reds Clubhouse. This is an incredible honor. But, I do have to add, what are they thinking?

Eddie Fingers and Tracy Jones replace longtime 700WLW personality Gary Burbank, who retired after 27 years with the station in December 2007.

With its 50,000 watts, 700WLW is heard in 38 states and also on XM Satellite Radio on Channel 173 and at 700wlw.com. 700WLW is owned by Clear Channel Communications.

BUTLER REDSFAN
01-07-2008, 05:53 PM
This combination makes no sense at all...I don't give it 6 months..dj from a debaucherous radio station and an ex-jock????

gilpdawg
01-07-2008, 05:54 PM
People on the radio boards and the comments on Kieswetter's blog are VERY negative. People just don't like Tracy Jones. I predict Tracy is gone before the year is out. Eddie is good if he has someone to play off of, and Tracy Jones is not that guy. I'll give it a shot though, and give them a chance to win me over.

And what's WEBN going to do in mornings? Put someone else in to lead the Dawn Patrol, or a new show altogether?

KronoRed
01-07-2008, 06:13 PM
When was Tracy Jones actually a "Reds star"?

Matt700wlw
01-07-2008, 06:16 PM
People on the radio boards and the comments on Kieswetter's blog are VERY negative. People just don't like Tracy Jones. I predict Tracy is gone before the year is out. Eddie is good if he has someone to play off of, and Tracy Jones is not that guy. I'll give it a shot though, and give them a chance to win me over.

And what's WEBN going to do in mornings? Put someone else in to lead the Dawn Patrol, or a new show altogether?

I believe Shroom will take over Eddie's role on WEBN.

Eddie's excited because he can stay out late and sleep in :D

Ron Madden
01-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Good God!!!

I quess the best thing about this is not hearing Tracy Jones after Reds games.

This should really boost Lance McAlisters ratings.

Roy Tucker
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Man, have we gotten old and gone mainstream.

The one-time renegade DJ from the one-time underground FM station is now the AM radio drive-home guy. Pretty soon they'll pair Eddie with Jim Scott.

I have become my father. Jeez.

Joseph
01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I think it'll bomb, but I like it. It's different than Gary, thankfully they didn't try a clone in his spot.

Unassisted
01-08-2008, 09:50 AM
This combination makes no sense at all...I don't give it 6 months..dj from a debaucherous radio station and an ex-jock????I bet it will make more sense during baseball season.

Bip Roberts
01-08-2008, 01:20 PM
I think it might work out, most completely random mixes turn out fine.

Matt700wlw
01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Pretty soon they'll pair Eddie with Jim Scott.

Jim Scott would be speechless around Eddie. :lol:

Strikes Out Looking
01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Matt--are you in line for extra innings?

I must be getting old, I remember when Eddie Fingers was the morning man on 96.5 in the 1980s and Robin Wood was young. Heck, I still think of Jim Scott as the new guy at WLW.

Matt700wlw
01-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Matt--are you in line for extra innings?

Not that I know of, but I haven't talked to anybody about it, I would want to get my feet wet first on Homer (which isn't out of the realm of possibility)....may be something to look into, among other things.

I would guess Mo, or Marc Amazon, would be front runners, since they are under contract...

redsfanmia
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Is Rod from Norwood going to be featured?

redsfan1966
01-08-2008, 04:37 PM
If anyone gives a rat's a-s, I will admit I was dead wrong....I totally expected to hear Furman ranting and raving at 3pm on Monday the 7th.....I listened to a little of the Fingers/Jones pairing today...I couldnt get past 10 minutes.....I really was hoping Willie and Seg were going to do 6 hours a day....(heh heh)

BoydsOfSummer
01-08-2008, 05:43 PM
The less Seg the better. They fire MacWilliams for a speech problem, yet Seg gets to make me nuts by stammering through anything he's not reading.

redsfan1966
01-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Boyds of Summer :clap:...you are so on the money about the Segman....Listen, Seg is a great, nice, loyal guy...I've met him, hes a standup person. Willie and Seg amuse me every day during their "Stooge Reports"...but listening to Seggie alone--especially during his stints on Sportssquawk and the "Racing Report" is maddening. His constant stuttering and stammering make me think he was some sort of mercy hiring. Not a fun listen.

LoganBuck
01-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Please keep Richard, Rod, and that clown that runs the Tracy Jones Fan Club website off the air.

Ron Madden
01-09-2008, 04:04 AM
Please keep Richard, Rod, and that clown that runs the Tracy Jones Fan Club website off the air.

Richard, Rod, Jim and Nick are all the same guy.

Many believe he is Tracys Significant Other/Life Partner.

(not that there's anything wrong wiith that) ;)

LoganBuck
01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Rod calls other shows. Every now and then he calls McConnell. I have heard Nick on other stations as well. I believe them to be real people.

Unassisted
01-23-2008, 06:53 PM
I happened to catch the new show today for the first time on XM. I was immediately struck by how much Eddie Finger sounds like Marty Brennaman. Anyone else think there's a strong similarity?