PDA

View Full Version : BCS National Championship Game Discussion

Caseyfan21
12-20-2007, 01:14 AM
I didn't see a thread for discussion on the Championship game so I thought we should get it started as bowl season starts up.

Who do you have? OSU or LSU?

And the first big news relating to the game should come out soon....OSU's Donald Washington and Eugene Clifford will be suspended for the NC game. If you follow the Buckeye forums it's been a hot topic of speculation today even though it's not official. I spoke with a friend who has been at practice and he confirmed to me that neither will be playing. As for the reason....just think Eric Haw on this one.

It should be interesting to see how injuries factor in on both sides and if any other players do anything stupid leading up to the game.

LoganBuck
12-20-2007, 07:37 AM
And the first big news relating to the game should come out soon....OSU's Donald Washington and Eugene Clifford will be suspended for the NC game. If you follow the Buckeye forums it's been a hot topic of speculation today even though it's not official. I spoke with a friend who has been at practice and he confirmed to me that neither will be playing. As for the reason....just think Eric Haw on this one.

:runawaycr:pimp::nono:

15fan
12-20-2007, 08:42 AM
'Tis in this morning's Dispatch.

traderumor
12-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Robiskie grades out well, on field and in classroomThe Dispatch has the above story available, also, coincidentally, I'm sure--Fox News is to George Bush as...could they be more blatantly obvious, trying to help tOSU do damage control with the suspended players? :rolleyes:

BuckeyeRed27
12-20-2007, 11:42 AM
"Brian Hartline Clubs Baby Seals"
"Jacob Hester saves Little Girl and Puppy for River"

Those are the lead stories in the Biloxi Daily Journal today. Just making sure all the OSU news is negative.

traderumor
12-20-2007, 11:47 AM
"Brian Hartline Clubs Baby Seals"
"Jacob Hester saves Little Girl and Puppy for River"

Those are the lead stories in the Biloxi Daily Journal today. Just making sure all the OSU news is negative.I'm an alum and a Buckeye fan. But even my scarlet and grey colored glasses can see through this one.

Unassisted
12-20-2007, 02:04 PM
I didn't see a thread for discussion on the Championship game
Probably because the last BCS discussion here didn't end well (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63576).

The local newpaper's sportswriters here released their bowl picks today. They unanimously picked LSU in the championship game.

Caseyfan21
12-20-2007, 02:24 PM
The local newpaper's sportswriters here released their bowl picks today. They unanimously picked LSU in the championship game.

Good, I like the Bucks as an underdog much more than last year. I think the Buckeyes are more fired up this year because no one in the media has really given them much of a chance against LSU.

Even though it hurt a lot at the time, I think the loss to Illinois was the best thing that could have happened to Ohio State. I think that really helped to refocus the season.

Matt700wlw
12-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I guess until proven otherwise, the SEC beats the Big 10.

Go Bucks.

guttle11
12-20-2007, 04:02 PM
I guess until proven otherwise, the SEC beats the Big 10.

Go Bucks.

It has been proven otherwise.

"SEC beats Ohio State in bowl games" would work, but not the Big Ten.

Matt700wlw
12-20-2007, 04:09 PM
It has been proven otherwise.

"SEC beats Ohio State in bowl games" would work, but not the Big Ten.

That works.

Go Bucks.

jmcclain19
12-20-2007, 10:41 PM
My extemely scientific method of football prediction (IE - me on the PS2 this afternoon) tells me that LSU will win 28-7.

BuckeyeRed27
12-20-2007, 10:42 PM
My extemely scientific method of football prediction (IE - me on the PS2 this afternoon) tells me that LSU will win 28-7.

Are we going to play 5 or 6 minute quarters?

jmcclain19
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Are we going to play 5 or 6 minute quarters?

5 using the All-American mode.

Wells was killing me all game, but when I switched from Flynn to Perrilloux and ran pretty much the straight spread option OSU couldn't stop me. Boeckman made some pretty awful redzone decisions too.

HeatherC1212
12-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I like OSU as the underdog much better than them being the favorite. The predictions I've seen online have people split right down the middle so this could be a really good game. I hope the Buckeyes pull off the win. I think they're really fired up after last year's debacle and that's a very good thing because I think they'll be more focused and ready to show everyone what they can do. Go Bucks!! :)

MWM
12-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I think OSU might have a real chance considering every single prediction I've seen on any website has LSU winning the game. I have not seen a single so-called "expert" pick OSU.

*BaseClogger*
12-23-2007, 03:01 PM
I think OSU might have a real chance considering every single prediction I've seen on any website has LSU winning the game. I have not seen a single so-called "expert" pick OSU.

Surely Lou Holssshhh will pick us! :bang:

sonny
12-23-2007, 11:01 PM
What really baffles me is that LSU is not that overly impressive. I could see if they were undefeated and dominated every game, but C'mon, This bias is really overwhelming.

If I'm Jim Tressel, I collect clippings, sound bites and play the 2006 NC Game everyday at practice.

MWM
12-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I don't think people are underestimating OSU. They're far from a spectacular team. But I do think LSU is being over-rated. I would pick LSU myself simply because it's a home game for them. If it was a neutral site, it would be even money, IMO.

George Foster
12-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I don't think people are underestimating OSU. They're far from a spectacular team. But I do think LSU is being over-rated. I would pick LSU myself simply because it's a home game for them. If it was a neutral site, it would be even money, IMO.

I was thinking the same thing about the "home game." I guess that is just bad luck for OSU that it's New Orleans turn in the BCS.

I still think it will be a great game. I'm a SEC guy but I think OSU will be ready to play.

bucksfan2
12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
I was thinking the same thing about the "home game." I guess that is just bad luck for OSU that it's New Orleans turn in the BCS.

I still think it will be a great game. I'm a SEC guy but I think OSU will be ready to play.

Does anyone know the ticket distribution? I know location wise it is a virtual home game for LSU but I also do know that each school is given so many tickets.

Caseyfan21
12-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know the ticket distribution? I know location wise it is a virtual home game for LSU but I also do know that each school is given so many tickets.

The schools are usually given even numbers of tickets. I think an LSU fan and an OSU fan have even odds and chances of getting tickets, especially with tickets being resold on the internet now.

However, an LSU fan has a big advantage in terms of lodging and travel costs. Flights from Columbus to New Orleans are not cheap and hotels in the New Orleans area aren't cheap. These costs are eliminated for LSU fans. LSU playing in New Orleans would be like OSU playing in Dayton. Even if LSU fans choose to stay overnight odds are good they have friends in the area they can stay with (thinking more from a student's perspective now).

MWM
12-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Not all tickets are allocated out to the schools. A certain percentage are allocated ot the schools and are split evenly. But a large percentage of the tickets are allocated to local or general distribution. It will probably be about 70-30 in favor of LSU.

dougdirt
12-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Ohio State is undeafted on the road this year.... that has to count for something right? lol.

RedFanAlways1966
12-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Announcers will be Thom Brennaman, play-by-play; Charles Davis, analyst, Chris Myers, sidelines.

George Foster
12-24-2007, 11:45 PM
Announcers will be Thom Brennaman, play-by-play; Charles Davis, analyst, Chris Myers, sidelines.

wow...how did Thom get the "big game?" You would think this is the 2nd most watched game of the year besides the Super bowl.

HeatherC1212
12-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Thom did one of the bowl games last year but I don't remember which one.

guttle11
12-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Thom did the title game last year, along with the Fiesta Bowl.

He and Charles Davis are Fox and the BTN's top tandem in the booth.

OnBaseMachine
12-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Prevent defense=Prevents you from winning.

Central Michigan coach's just lost them the game by switching to prevent defense and giving up an easy 15-20 yards on each pass.

Great game though. 51-48 Purdue.

bucksfan2
12-27-2007, 02:02 PM
The schools are usually given even numbers of tickets. I think an LSU fan and an OSU fan have even odds and chances of getting tickets, especially with tickets being resold on the internet now.

However, an LSU fan has a big advantage in terms of lodging and travel costs. Flights from Columbus to New Orleans are not cheap and hotels in the New Orleans area aren't cheap. These costs are eliminated for LSU fans. LSU playing in New Orleans would be like OSU playing in Dayton. Even if LSU fans choose to stay overnight odds are good they have friends in the area they can stay with (thinking more from a student's perspective now).

Here is my understanding of the BCS bowl ticket process. Each school is given a certain number of tickets. They also sell tickets on a yearly basis to individuals. I had a friend whose brother put his name on a list for Fiesta Bowl tickets and had them the past two years. I believe the NCAA will keep selling him tickets until he declines and then they move onto their waiting list. I think that process may benefit more LSU fans because they may have been buying tickets to the Sugar Bowl for years prior.

I understand the cost aspect but most OSU fans who buy tickets from the university buy them in a package. There could be cheaper ways of doing it but I would assume that the large number would buy a package. I think the advantage goes to fans who scalp tickets. I think anytime you have a big time football school playing in a championship game they will travel quite well. I am sure LSU will have an advantage with fan support but I don't think it is going to be as great as people expect. I also don't think the travel will have much effect on either school because both schools will be in New Orleans early enough to negate that aspect.

11larkin11
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM
How can anyone forget Thom at the Fiesta Bowl last year?

*BaseClogger*
01-03-2008, 02:15 AM
it's official: lou holtsh has picked us to win the big game!

sonny
01-03-2008, 02:22 AM
it's official: lou holtsh has picked us to win the big game!

Well, we're doomed.

Highlifeman21
01-03-2008, 08:11 AM
So I'm assuming Buckeye Nation still believes in their ballclub, and thinks they'll actually win in LSU's backyard?

tOSU winning sure would give all the talking sports heads something to chew on, not to mention make tOSU the only 2 time BCS Champion since its creation in 1998.

gonelong
01-03-2008, 09:40 AM
So I'm assuming Buckeye Nation still believes in their ballclub, and thinks they'll actually win in LSU's backyard?

I think its within them to win the game and I think Wells is the key.

If OSU can get him established it changes the entire game in OSU's favor IMO. If Dorsey and the Boys can keep him at bay early that forces the ball into ToddB's hands and that's favorable for LSU IMO.

Hopefully the OSU Def will come out aggressively from the 1st snap. The defensive gameplan last year was an abomination.

GL

Spring~Fields
01-03-2008, 01:03 PM

tOSU winning sure would give all the talking sports heads something to chew on, not to mention make tOSU the only 2 time BCS Champion since its creation in 1998.

Once or twice a year the coaching staff and players for Ohio State come up with a game plan that always makes me wonder where they put the real coaches and players that I had witnessed before said game.

Examples would be past Penn St, Texas, Florida and Illinois games, I am sure that there are some others over the years.

They seem to come with a plan that doesnít work yet stay determined to ride that dead horse to the final gun.

Last year it was Smith runs backward, bites the dirt and supposedly will mole his way underground to another first down, screens, draws and traps were unthinkable, I think.

So I am under no delusions of this team defeating LSU. If they do great, if they donít I had no false expectations going in. I donít think it will hurt the recruiting program getting into the national championship spotlight so often though.

bucksfan2
01-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Once or twice a year the coaching staff and players for Ohio State come up with a game plan that always makes me wonder where they put the real coaches and players that I had witnessed before said game.

Examples would be past Penn St, Texas, Florida and Illinois games, I am sure that there are some others over the years.

They seem to come with a plan that doesnít work yet stay determined to ride that dead horse to the final gun.

Last year it was Smith runs backward, bites the dirt and supposedly will mole his way underground to another first down, screens, draws and traps were unthinkable, I think.

So I am under no delusions of this team defeating LSU. If they do great, if they donít I had no false expectations going in. I donít think it will hurt the recruiting program getting into the national championship spotlight so often though.

So every game OSU lost in the past 3 years was because of a faulty game plan? The Texas loss could be attributed to Smith being stupid the year before and a TE dropping a sure TD pass. The only true poor game plan and execution was the Florida game last year. While Tressel's style may drive you nuts from time to time (it does me) more often than not it is a successful one.

If you take last years bowl season out of play I would be willing to bet that the matchup will be considered much closer in the press and media. LSU is a good football team but they are also flawed as well. I think OSU has a very good chance of winning this game. I think it is going to come down to a battle between the offensive and defensive lines as well as who wins the TO battle. Personally I am hoping for a Buckeye overtime victory so Les Miles can still whine about being the only undefeated team in regulation.

traderumor
01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I think OSU has a very good chance of winning this game. I think it is going to come down to a battle between the offensive and defensive lines as well as who wins the TO battle.Ya think? ;) College Gameday, here you come.

LoganBuck
01-03-2008, 02:13 PM
This game begins and ends with Todd Boeckman, nothing else matters. If he plays well Ohio State wins. If he plays like the QB that played in the Illinois game, it will be ugly in LSU's favor.

kbrake
01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Anyone else from Redszone going to be in New Orleans?

Spring~Fields
01-03-2008, 06:35 PM

Wish I was. I would love for some beignets from Cafe Du Monde right now.

MWM
01-03-2008, 08:24 PM
I think its within them to win the game and I think Wells is the key.

If OSU can get him established it changes the entire game in OSU's favor IMO. If Dorsey and the Boys can keep him at bay early that forces the ball into ToddB's hands and that's favorable for LSU IMO.

This is exactly what I think as well. If the LSU D-Line controls the OSU O-Line, I don't see the Buckeyes having much chance, and it could get ugly. But it they can open up some holes for Well, OSU can win. If it falls into Boeckman's hands, game over.

I also think Tressell will have some tricks up his sleeve. I think Antonio Henton is going to figure in the game plan to throw off the LSU D-Line.

Whenever teams have this long to plan for a single game, you just never know what you're going to see.

GAC
01-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Anything is possible. Why shouldn't we believe in our team? Other fans believe in theirs. I haven't heard any OSU fan being arrogant and over board and saying we're definitely going to win. We all have last year's game in the back of our minds and what occurred. Yes - it's a rematch of the Big Ten vs the SEC, but are these the same two types of teams this year as last?

LSU was a pre-season pick, and is a solid program; but I think they've shown every one this year that they are not the elite juggernaut that some (like ESPN's May who slobbers all over them) seem to think. They are beatable IMO.

And there are valid questions concerning OSU due to their SOS.

I'm not making any predictions in this game. I'm just hoping that Tressell has the team well prepared, doesn't panic and make stupid changes to his game plan (like I think he did in last year's game).

But I agree with GL's assessment. It's going to come down to our O-line vs their D-line. If our O-line, which has been pretty solid all year, plays like they did vs Illinois then we are toast IMO.

Danny Serafini
01-03-2008, 09:00 PM

Not me, I made my splurge went I went to Phoenix for the '02 title game. That was a wonderful experience I will always treasure. Enjoy these few days Buckeye fans in New Orleans, they will be wonderful! (Especially if Monday turns out the way it should!)

GAC
01-03-2008, 09:05 PM
All I know is that I'm a 3rd shifter and it's costing me a vacation day because there is no way I'm going to work that night. Honda is a big sponsor of OSU, and a lot of people won't be at work that night. :lol:

Chip R
01-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Honda is a big sponsor of OSU, and a lot of people won't be at work that night. :lol:

Remember that, folks, when you're buying your next car. Make sure you don't buy a Honda that was made in January of 2008. ;)

MWM
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
Interesting take on last year's national title game. This makes perfect sense and confirms one of the things I've always not liked about Tressel - predictability. And by watching the game it sure seemed like they were a step ahead. Kudos to the Florida coaching staff. They were definitely better prepared than the Buckeyes. Hopefully, they don't make the same mistake this year.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/01/henton_might_be_wrinkle_for_bu.html

New Orleans -- Ohio State was so predictable in last year's BCS National Championship that Florida defensive coordinator Greg Mattison later used the Buckeyes for a case study of how to figure out an offense.

Speaking at the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association convention last March, according to the Capital Times of Madison, Mattison noted how, for instance, of 90 formations he scouted when the Buckeyes had two running backs and two tight ends, OSU ran 80 times. He also relayed the pregame prediction of his son Bryan, who just finished his football career at Iowa.

"I think they're going to kick the crap out of them," he said before Florida's 41-14 win, "because Dad's defense was calling out plays before they'd run them."

Ohio State running back Beanie Wells saw the same thing when he watched the game again.

"Every time you go back and look at the film," Wells said, "they knew where things were going to happen and they had guys there to stop it."

kbrake
01-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Never been to New Orleans before and will be there Saturday, Sunday, Monday if anyone has any info on things I shouldnt miss it would be appreciated. If anyone is going to the game I will be in sec. 154. Cant wait.

Johnny Footstool
01-04-2008, 02:39 AM
Never been to New Orleans before and will be there Saturday, Sunday, Monday if anyone has any info on things I shouldnt miss it would be appreciated. If anyone is going to the game I will be in sec. 154. Cant wait.

Bourbon Street is a must-see. Swing by Pat O'Brien's and have a hurricane. If you get hungry, Devil's Oasis across the street makes a great flame-broiled burger.

kbrake
01-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

traderumor
01-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Interesting take on last year's national title game. This makes perfect sense and confirms one of the things I've always not liked about Tressel - predictability. And by watching the game it sure seemed like they were a step ahead. Kudos to the Florida coaching staff. They were definitely better prepared than the Buckeyes. Hopefully, they don't make the same mistake this year.

Of course, don't let that D coach break his arm patting himself on the back. You likely don't get the chance to do a breakdown of 90 formations if you are playing a game in season, thus pointing out another weakness of making teams wait so long between the final game of the season and their bowl game. Also, Tressel is a Woody Hayes disciple, who didn't care if the other team knew what was coming because he knew if his team executed the play properly, it would still be successful. That OSU did not execute is also a factor, not just that the D knew what was coming. We play UM every year. You think they don't know our formations and tendencies?

Tressel seems to be a pretty good self-evaluator and learns from mistakes, I suspect he will take tendencies into account and try to break some of them to bust out a few big plays.

bucksfan2
01-04-2008, 10:59 AM

Its more about execution than predictability. Having two TE's and two RB's is a definate running formation. There are times when you know a team is going to run the ball yet you can't stop them. This statement is kind of like saying when OSU is in a running formation they run the ball 89% of the time. I give credit to Florida for executing their game plan.

traderumor
01-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Its more about execution than predictability. Having two TE's and two RB's is a definate running formation. There are times when you know a team is going to run the ball yet you can't stop them. This statement is kind of like saying when OSU is in a running formation they run the ball 89% of the time. I give credit to Florida for executing their game plan.I think Tressell is aware of this and has things in place to do something about it, though, if the Penn St. play calling is any indication, where I was amazed throughout at the pass play calls (as was PSU) from running formations, including two TE looks.

Spring~Fields
01-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Remember that, folks, when you're buying your next car. Make sure you don't buy a Honda that was made in January of 2008. ;)

And remember to check for mole hair and mole DNA on that Honda too, a sure sign that GAC worked on it. :p: :D

cincrazy
01-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I absolutely, positively guarantee that OSU will beat LSU. LSU is not Florida. And this is a different OSU team. I could not be more confident in this team as it heads into Monday night's game. Maybe that's blind ignorance on my part, but I have the utmost faith in Tressel, and the heart of these player's.

MWM
01-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Its more about execution than predictability. Having two TE's and two RB's is a definate running formation. There are times when you know a team is going to run the ball yet you can't stop them. This statement is kind of like saying when OSU is in a running formation they run the ball 89% of the time. I give credit to Florida for executing their game plan.

I don't agree. No amount of execution is going to work if the other team knows what you're doing unless you have just superior talent that can overpower the other team. You can't be predictable when the other team has a lot of talent.

sonny
01-07-2008, 06:00 AM
So, there's a game on tonight apparently.

Top Ten reasons OSU will win this game:http://www.bcsfootball.org/cfb/story/7551920

10. 2006 Florida Gators, 2005 Texas Longhorns, 2002 Ohio State Buckeyes

Three of the past five national champions were given next to no shot whatsoever to win the title beforehand. This was partly because those three teams were really good yet were able to play the disrespect card. The 2006 Buckeyes, 2005 Trojans and 2002 Hurricanes were being considered among the greatest teams of all-time, and while the Tigers are only a five-point favorite, playing in the Superdome, almost no one is coming out and picking against them. Teams in the big show tend to play better when the pressure, for the most part, is off.

9. Coaching

Les Miles isn't Urban Meyer. For all the wins and all the good things he's done since taking over as the Tigers head man, Miles isn't considered a high-brow X-and-O guy as much as he's considered a great motivator and gutty game manager.

Jim Tressel's reputation might have suffered a hit after the Florida loss, but he's still an amazing 73-15 (83 percent) with four straight bowl wins before the 2007 BCS Championship debacle. This is a big-game head coach with a big-game staff who's been in the biggest of the big game spotlights for several years.

Miles came through strong in his first BCS game appearance with the 41-14 Sugar Bowl win over Notre Dame, but this is the national championship and his defensive coordinator, Bo Pelini, has his head already half-focused on the Nebraska job.

8. The nation's No. 1 defense is ...

Yeah, It's Ohio State. Dog the Big Ten all you want, but the conference has some solid offenses with six ranking in the top 50, and while there aren't any high-octane killers, Michigan and Wisconsin have tremendous rushing attacks that were held in check by the Buckeye D, Northwestern's 11th-ranked passing offense was held to 120 yards, no one threw for more than 269, and only Illinois ran for more than 161.

OSU gave up four surprising touchdown passes to Juice Williams and the Illini, along with a soul-crushing fourth quarter march, and that was about it. As good as the overall stats are, they're actually even better considering the offense gave up some scores, including two to Michigan State.

7. Yes, Ohio State can run with LSU, and any other team in the SEC

You don't get 59 players drafted in seven years without having a ton of speed and athleticism flowing through the program. Despite how things looked against Florida, that Ohio State team could run with anyone, and this one certainly has the overall team speed to stay with LSU. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean the Buckeyes will play fast, but if it's a question of running, no one other than Trindon Holliday will run past this group.

6. The OSU offensive line

If it's not the best in the game, it's a close second behind the Oklahoma line. It hasn't faced a defensive front like LSU's, but tackles Alex Boone and Kirk Barton are each Outland caliber talents who'll be stalwarts on NFL lines for several years to come, Steve Rehring is a solid left guard, and Jim Cordle is coming into his own at center. The front five has allowed a mere 14 sacks on the year and just 100 tackles for loss. LSU is way too good up front to get shoved around too often, but the Buckeye front five will win its share of battles.

5. The OSU defensive front should be able to get into the backfield

The LSU O-line is strong when it comes to powering the ball, but it struggles at consistently protecting the passer. All year long, teams have been able to get to the Tiger quarterbacks, and OSU should be able to pin its ears back and get at least four sacks. Vernon Gholston can get past any tackle in America.

4. LSU's defense might not be quite as good as advertised

The talent is breathtaking. Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson have Pro Bowl tools. Craig Steltz was probably the best defensive back in the country, Ali Highsmith might have been the best linebacker in the SEC, and Chevis Jackson is one of the nation's premier cover-corners. And there's more NFL talent where that came from.

So why did the Tigers struggle so much when pressed? Darren McFadden might be a transcendent talent and Andre Woodson might be a first-round draft pick, but a defense as good as LSU's shouldn't have allowed 50 points to Arkansas and 43 to Kentucky, even if both games went to three overtimes. The Tigers D wasn't nearly as dominant as it should've been over the second half of the season, but that's because of ...

3. Injuries

The time off will help LSU as much as any team in the bowl season, but there's still a variety of bumps and bruises to get over. For a team that went through a tumultuous season, and with all the coaching drama, DT Glenn Dorsey's knee, LB Darry Beckwith's ankle, QB Matt Flynn's shoulder, QB Ryan Perrilloux's finger, and a variety of other issues could contribute to next month being as much about healing as it is about preparing.

2. It's not like LSU has been all-timer special since September

Injuries can only be partly to blame for LSU not blowing teams out over the second half of the season. The standards might be a little high considering the Tigers won the SEC title and is in the national title game, but a team this talented probably shouldn't have struggled so much with Alabama and Ole Miss, and it shouldn't have lost to Kentucky and Arkansas. It took a miraculous play to beat Auburn, a trick play to get by South Carolina earlier in the year, and four wins came by a touchdown or less.

If the LSU that showed up at the beginning of the year against Mississippi State and Virginia Tech is in the Superdome, it's uh-oh time for the Buckeyes. If the LSU that showed up over the last two months of the season gets off the bus, this could be a classic.

1. Florida 41 ... Ohio State 14

Talk about motivation, how sick is Ohio State of hearing about the clunker in Glendale? Florida might have come into last year's national championship with a great game-plan and a mega-chip on its shoulder, but the Buckeyes also came into it off the banquet circuit and figuring the game was a mere formality. Ohio State didn't get to be Ohio State by not being able to adapt and adjust. This was the nation's No. 1 team for a good portion of the season, and technically, it's in the top spot right now. The team really is that good.

BuckWoody
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I can't wait! I took the day off tomorrow so I can hopefully nurse my celebratory hangover. I did the whole bemoaning-the-fact-that-my-team-got-hammered thing last year and it's not all that fun.

The teams seem so closely matched in talent that it just has to be a tight game...doesn't it? The ever-popular intangibles seem to be in the Buckeyes favor too (redemption, knowing how *not* to prepare, playing as the underdog, etc.). The big one that is in LSU's favor (virtual home field) I don't put too much stock in. I'll give them that it's good to stay close to home in familiar surroundings but I don't see the crowd being that big of a factor. Although they'll be outnumbered, there will be plenty of Buckeyes in the crowd and OSU has already played and won in front of 100,000+ crowds at Penn State and Michigan that were quite a bit more one-sided.

Here's to a close well-played game with no injuries and a Buckeye victory.....let's say....27-23...ish.

O! H!

HeatherC1212
01-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I! O!!! :)

Go Bucks!! :beerme:

jimbo
01-07-2008, 12:06 PM
GO BUCKS
LSU SUCKS

LoganBuck
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I heard a weird statement on 1460 at lunch. I missed the intro as to who the reporter was that was being interviewed. He said that "LSU's players are sick of being disrespected because they think they are a bigger underdog than Ohio State".

BuckeyeRed27
01-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I heard a weird statement on 1460 at lunch. I missed the intro as to who the reporter was that was being interviewed. He said that "LSU's players are sick of being disrespected because they think they are a bigger underdog than Ohio State".

Perhaps they don't understand the concept of underdog?

GAC
01-07-2008, 02:06 PM

I don't know where those players got that idea from? LSU has been lauded since the pre-season. And then there's ESPN's Mark May and others. :p:

LoganBuck
01-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Perhaps they don't understand the concept of underdog?

Many of these guys did go to school in Louisiana.

BuckeyeRed27
01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I'll put in my two cents about the game.
If Ohio State can run I don't seem them having any problem winning. Talent wise these teams are very even and the intangibles almost all favor OSU (esp. if as many OSU fans bought tickets as is being reported). LSU's defense is overrated but has been hurt most of the season. If they can come back healthy and can stop Wells and force Boeckman to pass than OSU is going to struggle. Defensively I can see LSU moving the ball early and then not moving it the rest of the game.

I see OSU winning by 13

LoganBuck
01-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I would love to put a prediction down but I have no idea. If Boeckman plays well I think Ohio State wins by seven, if he plays poorly I see them losing big.

Danny Serafini
01-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Final prediction: OSU 28 LSU 24

OldRightHander
01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
If the Bucks win, I'm booking the next load I can find to Baton Rouge, or at least one that will allow me to pass through there.

:evil:

Unassisted
01-07-2008, 04:42 PM
If the Bucks win, I'm booking the next load I can find to Baton Rouge, or at least one that will allow me to pass through there.

:evil:Maybe you should bring bags full of buckeyes to throw around the city? ;)

Roy Tucker
01-07-2008, 05:01 PM
My expectations are somewhere between 2002 (I didn't even think about winning, I just hoped Miami wouldn't embarrass OSU) and last year (I thought OSU was a mortal lock and the only thing in doubt was their final victory margin).

So, I see a close game. Who wins? Hopefully OSU, but I can't really predict that. Close game though.

CrackerJack
01-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I really want OSU to win, can't handle another game like last year.

Spring~Fields
01-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I just can't see Ohio State winning this one. Though I was never accused of having great sight or insight to begin with :)

Matt700wlw
01-07-2008, 06:39 PM
OSU squeaks by in a close game.