PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade Jay Bruce for Erik Bedard straight up?

thatcoolguy_22
12-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Yay or nay? I think everyone here knows I would do backflips if WK could pull it off...

*BaseClogger*
12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
I said yes, but ONLY if Adam Dunn is extended to a LTC... Could the Orioles throw in Bradford or Walker to make me feel better about it?

Bip Roberts
12-20-2007, 03:53 PM
No

Jefferson24
12-20-2007, 04:14 PM
The Reds have Bedard last year in the number 2 spot and drop Bronson to the 3 spot we would have made the playoffs. I agree that Bruce is worth a great deal but isn't making the playoffs worth something too? I voted to trade. The playoffs are worth it in my opinion.

Joseph
12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Watch the masked profanity please.

thatcoolguy_22
12-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Watch the masked profanity please.

much apologies

nmculbreth
12-20-2007, 04:31 PM
I think Jay Bruce has the potential to be a very special player but I would absolutely trade him straight-up for Erik Bedard.

The question then becomes how much would you be willing to include with Bruce and I wouldn't go any higher than a third tier type prospect. I certainly wouldn't include any other member of the Reds' big five.

redsfanmia
12-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I wouldnt trade Bruce for anyone, he is going to be an MVP candidate within 4 years.

Why Not?
12-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I really don't think a straight-up trade would happen. Potential is great (and Bruce's potential is REALLY great) but he's still a prospect a couple of years from the majors. He could very easily wind up being another can't-miss who misses.

Also, it seems like McPhail values quantity over quality to some extent. I think he's going to want a few bodies in return for Bedard.

thatcoolguy_22
12-20-2007, 06:41 PM
I really don't think a straight-up trade would happen. Potential is great (and Bruce's potential is REALLY great) but he's still a prospect a couple of years from the majors. He could very easily wind up being another can't-miss who misses.

Also, it seems like McPhail values quantity over quality to some extent. I think he's going to want a few bodies in return for Bedard.

this whole thread is just to prove how much my fellow redzoners over-value our prospects...

Why Not?
12-20-2007, 07:00 PM
this whole thread is just to prove how much my fellow redzoners over-value our prospects...

Trust me, that's not unique to Reds fans. :beerme:

OUReds
12-20-2007, 07:35 PM

That's why I just can't see a trade with Bruce going down. The O's have multiple holes to fill, and a deal with Bruce just isn't going to include much more then him. If Bruce is included in the deal, You're probably looking at something like Bruce/Maloney/Janish for Bedard and someone else.

Chi-Town Red
12-20-2007, 07:38 PM
no way

Why Not?
12-20-2007, 08:28 PM
That's why I just can't see a trade with Bruce going down. The O's have multiple holes to fill, and a deal with Bruce just isn't going to include much more then him. If Bruce is included in the deal, You're probably looking at something like Bruce/Maloney/Janish for Bedard and someone else.

You might be right. Still, I think the Orioles are more concerned with gathering as much young talent as possible than filling positional holes. The money is there to sign stop-gaps or take on a salary dump to fill a position if necessary.

Trace's Daddy
12-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Yay

gedred69
12-20-2007, 09:51 PM
A lot of posts on Redszone seem to say that due to the fact that Bruce has never seen the Bigs, he is un-proven. Literally this is true. But when virtually everyone in baseball considers him the #1-----not just the Reds and fans, ----there must be some rather serious truth to it. Do you give up an apparently more sturdy version of Larry Walker for an Ace you very likely can only afford for 2 years? Plus, it would take more than just Bruce, (as others have said), O's want bunches of young prospects to make any deal. He is the most coveted prospect in all of Baseball, and every team with a good pitcher is going to play hardball with WK to try to get him. It is a matter of who blinks first. (Hope it isn't WK).

*BaseClogger*
12-20-2007, 09:59 PM
A lot of posts on Redszone seem to say that due to the fact that Bruce has never seen the Bigs, he is un-proven. Literally this is true. But when virtually everyone in baseball considers him the #1-----not just the Reds and fans, ----there must be some rather serious truth to it. Do you give up an apparently more sturdy version of Larry Walker for an Ace you very likely can only afford for 2 years? Plus, it would take more than just Bruce, (as others have said), O's want bunches of young prospects to make any deal. He is the most coveted prospect in all of Baseball, and every team with a good pitcher is going to play hardball with WK to try to get him. It is a matter of who blinks first. (Hope it isn't WK).

And as the question reads "Would you trade Jay Bruce for Erik Bedard straight up?" many others assert it would take more than just Bruce to get Bedard... makes sense :rolleyes:

Hondo
12-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I remember Grady Siezmore for Bartolo Colon...

Thanks

*BaseClogger*
12-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I remember Grady Siezmore for Bartolo Colon...

Thanks

you forgot about Cliff Lee and Brandon Phillips- they were part of the deal too...

AmarilloRed
12-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Not under any circumstances.

gedred69
12-20-2007, 10:50 PM
And as the question reads "Would you trade Jay Bruce for Erik Bedard straight up?" many others assert it would take more than just Bruce to get Bedard... makes sense :rolleyes:

Uh, no..... Let me re-phrase that. NO!:beerme:

Natty Redlocks
12-20-2007, 10:58 PM
Who cares? Either way, Dusty Baker is still the manager. (No, I'll never get over it)

Seriously, it seems to me that when you're talking about a special, A-Rod level type talent, you just have to find another way to get the pitching you need. It just depends on whether you believe Bruce is truly that type of talent. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you he is but those whose opinions I value seem to think so.

So, no. There's plenty of lesser guys to move.

ChatterRed
12-21-2007, 02:01 AM
Well, I would think out of Cueto, Votto, Hamilton, Bailey, and Bruce that atleast 2, if not 3 of them will pan out. Then you have 3 good players under your control for 3-4 years in the majors, as opposed to Bedard for 2 years. If the ones that pan out are Bailey and Cueto.........you got 2 pitchers to compliment Harang and Arroyo.

The pitching free agent market is suppose to be outstanding in 2009. Might be best to see how the youngsters develop in one more season and go for it in 2009.

BLEEDS
12-21-2007, 12:07 PM
If anybody has REALLY looked at the previous "Minor League Player of the Year" recipients, they would realize that trading that for 2 years of a Pitcher is Ridiculous.

I'm not even sure I would trade Bruce for Johan Santana.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Triples
12-21-2007, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't trade Jay Bruce for anyone, period.

gedred69
12-21-2007, 08:25 PM
If anybody has REALLY looked at the previous "Minor League Player of the Year" recipients, they would realize that trading that for 2 years of a Pitcher is Ridiculous.

I'm not even sure I would trade Bruce for Johan Santana.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Thank you for your good sense. A lot of the psycho-babble regarding who for what that I've been reading/hearing has been very scary. WK better stand firm against any overtures for Jay Bruce. [B]EVERYBODY,[B]not just the Reds and their fans say this kid has "superstar" tattooed on him. If he's only a "star" we'll still be more than happy WK protected him:beerme:

Degenerate39
12-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Does the Hamilton trade change anyone's mind?

*BaseClogger*
12-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Does the Hamilton trade change anyone's mind?

ummm...... YES!

BEETTLEBUG
12-22-2007, 12:55 AM
What do you mean by changing your mind about what? OK NO I would not trade bruce for Bedard straight up.

*BaseClogger*
12-22-2007, 12:56 AM
What do you mean by changing your mind about what?

read title of thread

Trace's Daddy
12-22-2007, 12:19 PM
After the Hamilton trade, I retract my "yay" for trading Bruce for Bedard straight up.

gedred69
12-22-2007, 01:45 PM
After the Hamilton trade, I retract my "yay" for trading Bruce for Bedard straight up.

I believe you're correct. To me it was always one or the other, not both. Josh was sure fun to watch and will be missed, (who leads off now?), but trading him was the lesser of 2 bitter pills.

Caveman Techie
12-22-2007, 02:30 PM
There are a couple of factors at work here. If they could do the trade straight up, while getting Bedard to sign an extension. Absolutely. With no extension though I'd have to say no.