PDA

View Full Version : Athletes you loathed when they were young, but admired by the end!

MWM
12-20-2007, 10:03 PM
I was watching the highlight of Alonzo Mourning refusing to be brought off the court in a stretcher last night and instead limping off with the help of teammates. I thought about how much my pereption of him changed over the years. When he was a young guy, I didn't like him at all. He was one of those Georgetown guys from that era of cockiness and there was just something about him I didn't like. He was one of those players I actively rooted against.

But over the past several years, I've really come to have a great deal of respect for Mourning. He'e committed, about as passionate as an athlete could be, and he's had one hell of a career. And by all accounts, he's a fine human being.

Brett Favre is another. I just didn't like anything about the guy throughout the 90s and couldn't stand the Packers (still don't love the Packers). But he's a guy I've come to really admire and actively root for. He plays football like a kid plays the game. He will be sorely missed when leaves and I wish the NFL had a few more like him.

In baseball, that guy is Jeter. I alwasy thought he was over-rated (and probably still think so a little), but I've also come to realize what a great player he's truly been, and I've developed a lot of respect and admiration for him.

So who are some of the athletes you've completely changed yor perception of throughout their careers?

guttle11
12-20-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm the opposite on Favre. I used to love him, but the entire soap opera of the retirement game with him has changed my opinion. I know it's mostly media driven, but I can't help but think he likes the attention given to it on a yearly basis and plays it on purpose.

David West- As a UD fan, I couldn't stand the guy. It seemed every minor touch of him was called a foul, and he could mug on defense with no call. And when the smallest thing didn't go his way, he would pout and whine. Now though, I look back and realize what a special player he was in the A-10. I still think he was a whiny baby, but the emotion is gone. He was amazing. I love watching him on the Hornets.

*BaseClogger*
12-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Peyton Manning
Ray Lewis
Ichiro
Greg Maddux

GoReds33
12-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Ken Griffey Jr.
Barry Bonds... sorry...
Roger Federer.
Duke Athletics as a whole.

RANDY IN INDY
12-21-2007, 08:13 AM
The Los Angeles Dodgers, particularly Garvey, Lopes, Cey, Valentine, Yeager and ahh yes, Tommy Lasorda.
Terry Bradshaw
Franco Harris
Reggie Jackson
Bert Campaneris
Richie Allen

WMR
12-21-2007, 08:44 AM
I was watching the highlight of Alonzo Mourning refusing to be brought off the court in a stretcher last night and instead limping off with the help of teammates. I thought about how much my pereption of him changed over the years. When he was a young guy, I didn't like him at all. He was one of those Georgetown guys from that era of cockiness and there was just something about him I didn't like. He was one of those players I actively rooted against.

But over the past several years, I've really come to have a great deal of respect for Mourning. He'e committed, about as passionate as an athlete could be, and he's had one hell of a career. And by all accounts, he's a fine human being.

Brett Favre is another. I just didn't like anything about the guy throughout the 90s and couldn't stand the Packers (still don't love the Packers). But he's a guy I've come to really admire and actively root for. He plays football like a kid plays the game. He will be sorely missed when leaves and I wish the NFL had a few more like him.

In baseball, that guy is Jeter. I alwasy thought he was over-rated (and probably still think so a little), but I've also come to realize what a great player he's truly been, and I've developed a lot of respect and admiration for him.

So who are some of the athletes you've completely changed yor perception of throughout their careers?

I was with ya up until Jeter. Dude is a massive tool. The way he hung Pay-Rod out to dry was the epitome of class. :rolleyes:

WMR
12-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Peyton Manning
Ray Lewis
Ichiro
Greg Maddux

What in the world made you gain respect for Ray Lewis???

dabvu2498
12-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Joe Montana and Larry Bird

Hoosier Red
12-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Reggie Miller.

RichRed
12-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Roger Staubach

George Anderson
12-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Actually I despised Pete Rose early on because I was young and my parents and grandparents didnt care for him. Later in Pete's career I really came to respect him for his work ethic and his overacheiving baseball career.

I still respect Pete as a player, but as a person, well thats another story:rolleyes:

Joseph
12-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Clemens
Deion Sanders
Bo Jackson
John Smoltz
Biggio
Bagwell

Kobe Bryant

Marshall Faulk
Donovan McNabb
John Elway

Mark Messier
Patrick Roy

I could make a list of actors and actresses too. Politicians. Teachers. Co-workers. Lots of people that took time to learn to appreciate.

Redlegs23
12-21-2007, 12:15 PM
I used to root against Jordan, but now I realize I was lucky to watch the greatest play the game.

flyer85
12-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Andre Agassi

He was a complete jerk who was full of himself when he first hit the tour. He did a 180 degree turnaround by the end of his career.

Chip R
12-21-2007, 12:22 PM
The only ones I could think of were tennis players. Jimmy Conners and John McEnroe. Maybe Magic Johnson somewhat.

traderumor
12-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Not an athlete, but involved with athletics, Bo Schembecler

will5979
12-21-2007, 01:48 PM
1. Jeff Gordon-I still hate to admit it how good he is...
2. Ric Flair-Only a few years ago did I come to terms with just how important he is to the wrestling industry
3. The Rock-See above

Rojo
12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Two Dodgers: Mike Scoscia and Davey Lopes.

TeamSelig
12-21-2007, 03:27 PM
I used to HATE Jordan. When I was little I tried to convince myself that he wasn't even that good and that he was a ball hog. But not long after I realized I was watching the greatest basketball player ever.