PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest thing said by a sports media guy this year.

MWM
12-20-2007, 11:23 PM
My nomination goes to JA Adande (no surprises as he says ridiculous things on a regular basis). But the below statement is the typical nonsense sports writers or commentators say because they have to smarter than someone who accepts the obvious.

In a discussion of who's better between Kobe Bryant or LeBron James, he claims that he'd rather Kobe Bryant with the ball in a "must score" possession than anyone in the history of the game, including Michael Jordan. Here's his rationale:

"If the play breaks down, Bryant has the resourcefulness and athletic ability to create his own shot. And he's the best tough-shot shooter in the game. Ever. "

Uh, like Mike didn't have the "resourcefulnees" to improvise? Or the athletic ability to create his own shot? Did he sleep during the Michael Jordan, o is he another one of these guys who grew up a Knicks fan and so hates Michael Jordan more than any other athlete (yes, I have Knicks fans and they LOATHE MJ).

Not only this, but would he seriously select Kobe over Larry Bird or Magic Johnson?

guttle11
12-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Skip Bayless.

Everything.

deltachi8
12-20-2007, 11:25 PM
For the record, I would take Bird. (Not that anyone cares)

*BaseClogger*
12-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Can we go back a couple of years to when John Kruk said that Randy Johnson would win 30 games?

GoReds33
12-20-2007, 11:54 PM
To be honest, I would take 1999 Kenyon Martin... pre broken leg.

Joseph
12-21-2007, 12:41 PM

I doubt he makes the top 50 on a list not created by a Bearcat fan. :)

As for the topic of dumbest things said by the media this year in relation to sports....

I'm not sure what it was, but I'm sure the person who said it draws a paycheck from ESPN.

GoReds33
12-21-2007, 01:00 PM
I doubt he makes the top 50 on a list not created by a Bearcat fan. :)

As for the topic of dumbest things said by the media this year in relation to sports....

I'm not sure what it was, but I'm sure the person who said it draws a paycheck from ESPN.Pre injury, there was no player in college basketball in his decade as dominant. He could take over a game at a moment's notice.

MWM
12-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Adande said he'd rather have Kobe than MJ in a "must score" possession because of Kobe's ability to create his own shot. It could be one of the dumbest things anyone has ever said about basketball.

BTW, I wonder if Adande saw the Lakers's possession last night where they were down by 2 inside a minute. Kobe had plenty of time left and half-heartedly threw up a 3 pointer that wasn't even that close. MJ never would have taken that shot.

flyer85
12-21-2007, 01:07 PM
At the beginning of the Browns/Bills snowstorm game the color analyst actually said "this game could be a shootout". Say what, I guess the guns were loaded with blanks.

Boston Red
12-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Pre injury, there was no player in college basketball in his decade as dominant. He could take over a game at a moment's notice.

Unless, of course, Kevin freaking Frey was on the other team. Just saying.

Boston Red
12-21-2007, 02:20 PM
If Don Imus counts, I'd say "nappy headed hos" has to go to the top of the list of stupid things said in '07.

redsmetz
12-21-2007, 04:17 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm dumbfounded that this person said "athletic ability" because nobody says that anymore; they always say "athleticism", the lazy way of saying "athletic ability."

WMR
12-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm dumbfounded that this person said "athletic ability" because nobody says that anymore; they always say "athleticism", the lazy way of saying "athletic ability."

What's "lazy" about saying athleticism instead of athletic ability?

TeamSelig
12-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Skip Bayliss. I think he is dumb on purpose though.

WMR
12-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Skip Bayliss. I think he is dumb on purpose though.

Me too.

He's one of those guys who you just know was continuously being stuffed into a locker in high school.

WMR
12-21-2007, 04:35 PM
My vote goes to most statements made by Bill Plaschke of the LA Times. Around the Horn is an obnoxious television show, but I find myself inexorably drawn to it just to hear what dumb comment Bill Plaschke will say next. I feel sorry for subscribers of the LA Times.

Joseph
12-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Pre injury, there was no player in college basketball in his decade as dominant. He could take over a game at a moment's notice.

Inside. He was dominant the way Shaq is/was. If someone gets him the ball [back then] he could back a guy down or power over him.

MJ, Kobe, LeBron....they make their own.

Maybe we're looking at it in different ways, I just don't see Kenyon as one of those guys.

Gainesville Red
12-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Didn't Kruk announce the Pirates would be winning the N.L. Central a month or so into the season?

Cyclone792
12-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Skip Bayless.

Everything.

My vote goes to most statements made by Bill Plaschke of the LA Times. Around the Horn is an obnoxious television show, but I find myself inexorably drawn to it just to hear what dumb comment Bill Plaschke will say next. I feel sorry for subscribers of the LA Times.

Bayless and Plaschke are exactly the two guys who popped in my mind when I saw this thread title. Bayless' stupidity knows no bounds, and Plaschke doesn't know that sports exist outside the state of California.

traderumor
12-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Mark May saying South Florida deserved to be #1 at one point in the season.

traderumor
12-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Kirk Herbstreit outing Les Miles.

traderumor
12-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Marty saying Norris Hopper was more valuable to the Reds than Adam Dunn.

Tom Servo
12-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Didn't Kruk announce the Pirates would be winning the N.L. Central a month or so into the season?
To be fair in an interview Kruk admitted those types of predictions were forced on him by the higher powers of ESPN.

As for stupid sports comments, I always liked Stephen A. Smith's comment on the Chargers/Jets playoff game where he said that the Chargers should have kicked on 3rd down so if Kaeding missed, then he'd have another chance to make it on 4th down.

deltachi8
12-21-2007, 08:42 PM

I thought I had blacked that out of my memory bank...thanks for reinstalling it.

*BaseClogger*
12-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Anything of the same topic as my signature...

TeamSelig
12-22-2007, 02:56 PM
As for stupid sports comments, I always liked Stephen A. Smith's comment on the Chargers/Jets playoff game where he said that the Chargers should have kicked on 3rd down so if Kaeding missed, then he'd have another chance to make it on 4th down.

WOW! please tell me you are joking

durl
12-22-2007, 06:28 PM
How about Law saying Harang was just a good "innings eater?" Maybe not THE stupidest but it's right up there.

Honorable mention: anything said by Bryant Gumbel during an NFL Network game.

Dom Heffner
12-22-2007, 06:35 PM
"On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

The latter part of that quote should scare each and every person on this board.

Bip Roberts
12-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Anything out of Alan Cutlers mouth

Yachtzee
12-22-2007, 09:15 PM
What's "lazy" about saying athleticism instead of athletic ability?

I don't think it's necessary lazy, but it's one of those silly words that people use to sound more intellegent. It's kind of like lawyers who use too much legalese when they could get their point across much better using straightforward words. Why say "He has great athleticism" when you can say "He is very athletic?"

I think people just say "athleticism" because a word ending in "ism" sounds more impressive than the straight forward term it modifies. I'd love to see a sports analyst who decided to use the English he's given instead of trying to make up words and coin new phrases that, in the end, have less meaning than the original words.

Matt700wlw
12-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Anything out of Alan Cutlers mouth

I guess your not listening to 700 this hour :)

WVRed
12-22-2007, 10:55 PM
John Kruk and the whole Mitchell Report situation.

Redsland
12-23-2007, 10:55 AM
I'd love to see a sports analyst who decided to use the English he's given instead of trying to make up words and coin new phrases that, in the end, have less meaning than the original words.
Or, as I like to say, "Verbing weirds words."

:)

KoryMac5
12-23-2007, 09:13 PM

I may have to nominate this quote. ;)

NorrisHopper30
12-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Bryant Gumbel calling Frank Gore by the name of Al Gore.

NorrisHopper30
12-23-2007, 09:34 PM

:cool:

Yachtzee
12-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Home runs are "rally killers."

vaticanplum
12-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Or, as I like to say, "Verbing weirds words."

:)

I'm so adjective, I verb nouns.

camisadelgolf
12-24-2007, 03:44 AM
At the beginning of the Browns/Bills snowstorm game the color analyst actually said "this game could be a shootout". Say what, I guess the guns were loaded with blanks.

If the field were only 20 yards long, I still don't think the Bills could take part in a shootout.

GAC
12-24-2007, 06:41 AM
It's 4th and 1 and they've opted to go for it. If they don't get the yard, then the won't get the 1st down."

"It's down to this final play with only 4 seconds left in regulation time. They are down by 6, and if they don't get a touchdown here then the game is over."

"That was really a needless penalty." (is there really such a thing as a needful one?)

sonny
12-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Another nice one from the Bengals/Browns game:

"Chad Palmer just overthrew that one."

Screwball
12-24-2007, 07:52 AM
"That was really a needless penalty." (is there really such a thing as a needful one?)

Absolutely. A few examples off the top of my head:

1.) A Tackle (or Guard, or Center) committing a holding penalty to keep his QB from getting blown up, resulting in a possible fumble or injury.

2.) In college FB, if a DB gets beaten deep, he can commit pass interference to limit the damage to 15 yards instead of the TD.

3.) In the NBA, who hasn't employed the "hack-a-Shaq" methodology?

And the list goes on. Sometimes you need to commit a penalty (or foul) in order to actually help your team out.

OldRightHander
12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
There are a few I've heard over the years. I thought the Chad Palmer thing yesterday was kind of funny.

Heard often when a ball is overthrown. "That might have been a completion if the pass was catchable."

Also in hockey or soccer when the goalie makes a save. "That would have been a goal if he hadn't stopped it." I heard this one just the other day.

macro
12-24-2007, 12:17 PM
During the UK-UNC basketball game a couple of weeks ago, one of the announcers stated just as the second half was starting that "UNC is undefeated when leading at halftime this year."

UNC is undefeated overall this season.

TC81190
12-24-2007, 12:41 PM
During the UK-UNC basketball game a couple of weeks ago, one of the announcers stated just as the second half was starting that "UNC is undefeated when leading at halftime this year."

UNC is undefeated overall this season.

:laugh:

Matt700wlw
12-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Bryant Gumbel doing play by play

dman
12-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Every year it's gotta be Chris Berman's "back, back, back......................"

GoReds33
12-24-2007, 07:38 PM
I may have to nominate this quote. ;)Thank God I'm not in the media.:D

VR
12-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Julius Erving on the left wing and clear out the lane. Game over.

dougdirt
12-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Barry Bonds "This record isn't tainted at all. Period."

Game over.