PDA

View Full Version : Rios

ChatterRed
12-22-2007, 10:00 PM
I would still like to see the Reds trade for another solid RH bat in the lineup, such as Rios. With Bruce possibly moving into CF, the Reds are still predominantly lefthanded, a problem last season. I know it would logjam the outfield, but maybe Bruce should spend another season in triple A while Griffey finishes out his contract? Besides, Junior is prone to injury and Bruce will probably be up here at some point. Trading for Rios now would bring Griffey's replacement for next season, and a LTC for Dunn, would solidify our outfield for the seasons after Junior is gone, with Rios, Bruce, and Dunn.

Redsnake
12-22-2007, 10:07 PM
What players would you propose the Reds sending for Rios??

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-22-2007, 10:09 PM
What players would you propose the Reds sending for Rios??Travis Wood, Drew Stubbs, Ryan Freel?

jmac
12-22-2007, 10:11 PM
I would still like to see the Reds trade for another solid RH bat in the lineup, such as Rios. With Bruce possibly moving into CF, the Reds are still predominantly lefthanded, a problem last season. I know it would logjam the outfield, but maybe Bruce should spend another season in triple A while Griffey finishes out his contract? Besides, Junior is prone to injury and Bruce will probably be up here at some point. Trading for Rios now would bring Griffey's replacement for next season, and a LTC for Dunn, would solidify our outfield for the seasons after Junior is gone, with Rios, Bruce, and Dunn.

I have been a big fan of Rios and that would certainly help our LH tilt but I would be shocked if we traded right now for a big-time position player.
Not sayin it wont happen but doubtful IMO.

fewfirstchoice
12-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Cueto,Freel,and Stubbs.They will want a young pitching stud and a OF for him.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Cueto,Freel,and Stubbs.They will want a young pitching stud and a OF for him.I would think Cueto, freel, and Stubbs and maybe a lower prospect could net you Bedard, that would be the better move. If you can't pry Rios away with a stack of lesser prospects and maybe a guy who's salary you want to unload I wouldn't do it.

Nasty_Boy
12-22-2007, 10:31 PM
Travis Wood, Drew Stubbs, Ryan Freel?

Is that a serious post? :confused::confused::confused:

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Is that a serious post? :confused::confused::confused:Sure, the question was who would I give up. The answer is not a whole lot.

Nasty_Boy
12-22-2007, 10:34 PM
The O's won't give up Bedard for that package. The are looking to build for the future... Freel is useless and is only under contract for another year, Stubbs has questions but he may pan out, and Cueto has about 5-8 starts above AA. That package is no where close enough for Baltimore.

Nasty_Boy
12-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Sure, the question was who would I give up. The answer is not a whole lot.

My bad, I see where you're coming from.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-22-2007, 10:38 PM
My bad, I see where you're coming from.It's not that I wouldn't want Rios at this point but with Bruce in the waiting I would like to see our touted prospects go towards pitching if we are going to trade them.

hippie07
12-22-2007, 10:51 PM
I would like Rios too, but you know, I looked at Bruce's stats, it seems like he hits LH pitchers pretty well LH .298 and RH .307 ..... granted thats not in the big leagues, but still its not shabby, Maybe a guy Mench to get us by until Bruce is truly ready...

Orenda
12-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I still dont think Bruce has had enough time in the minors. I'd like to see the reds sign a stop gap outfielder on a one or two year deal until Bruce has proven he's ready.

ChatterRed
12-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Not sure who I'd trade. But I am concerned about being predominantly lefthanded. I'd also like to find KGJ's replacement and that it be a RH bat.

hippie07
12-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Not sure who I'd trade. But I am concerned about being predominantly lefthanded. I'd also like to find KGJ's replacement and that it be a RH bat.

Isn't KGJ's replacement Bruce?
It'd be kinda silly, but the Jays are looking for a pitching 'spect - how about Volquez for Rios .... pretty much be swapping Hamilton for Rios ... LH bat for RH bat... I like it, but only if we're planning on making a move to shore up pitching, of course.

crazybob60
12-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Cueto,Freel,and Stubbs.They will want a young pitching stud and a OF for him.

That is exactly what I was thinking and it will take some of the BIG names to get him and I would think they would want someone other than Freel....they may take a Norris Hopper but not Freel in my opinion.

Redsnake
12-23-2007, 12:58 PM

Chatter I understand your position completely about to many LH hitters, but Rios would demand at least two top 5 hitting prospects.
I would love to have Rios. But I would rather save the prospects to see if the can develope by 2009/2010 or trade them for a #2 starter (or better). Then sign a RH bat in free agency.

ChatterRed
12-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Part of me wants to stand pat and see how Bailey, Cueto, Maloney, Votto, Bruce develop/produce this upcoming season. The risk is if they falter and expose themselves as non-major league quality (which I doubt will happen with about 3 to 4 of them).

Another part of me wants to fix the LH lineup and add a RH bat. On the other hand, another part of me wants to see if EE can improve his hitting and power this upcoming season.

In other words, this upcoming season is the year of seeing what the young guys can do. Most have not much more to prove in the minors and it's show us what you can do time.

*BaseClogger*
12-23-2007, 01:29 PM
this thread is silly :bang:

Dracodave
12-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Another part of me wants to fix the LH lineup and add a RH bat. On the other hand, another part of me wants to see if EE can improve his hitting and power this upcoming season.

In other words, this upcoming season is the year of seeing what the young guys can do. Most have not much more to prove in the minors and it's show us what you can do time.

Let the young guys work it out and get a few free agents to fill the RH Bat..or trade for some players that otherteams are overlooking you can get on the cheap.

TN Red Fan
12-23-2007, 02:45 PM

Well, trading Hamilton puts Phillips square in heart of the order, which should help. Plus, Dunn hits lefties pretty well, too. It's Griffey you still have to worry about, and I don't know the splits on Votto and Bruce.

hippie07
12-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, trading Hamilton puts Phillips square in heart of the order, which should help. Plus, Dunn hits lefties pretty well, too. It's Griffey you still have to worry about, and I don't know the splits on Votto and Bruce.

Last year (in the minors) Bruce hit lefties MUCH better than Votto...

ChatterRed
12-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Last year (in the minors) Bruce hit lefties MUCH better than Votto...

.....which leads me to believe management is aware of this and maybe thinks he can hold his own and help out against lefties more than Hamilton could. But you never know til he actually faces major league pitching instead of minor league pitching.

Dracodave
12-23-2007, 06:44 PM
.....which leads me to believe management is aware of this and maybe thinks he can hold his own and help out against lefties more than Hamilton could. But you never know til he actually faces major league pitching instead of minor league pitching.

Plus Bruce doesn't need 24/7 surviallance...watching where his lunch money goes, or someone to hold his hand...