PDA

View Full Version : I was walkin' in while he was walking out.....

remdog
12-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I arrived at the hotel for our company Christmas part last Tuesday evening and, as I was about to enter the lobby, the doors parted and Newport Beach's finest were hauling out some guy in handcuffs.

It turned out to be........

'Former All-Star pitcher Matt Keough remained jailed Friday, four days after he was arrested for violating his parole by binge drinking at a hotel bar.

Keough, whose estranged wife stars on the reality show "Real Housewives of Orange County," was arrested Tuesday. He had been drinking at the Fashion Island Marriott bar, police said.

In 1992, Keough was nearly killed when he was hit in the head by a line drive while sitting in the dugout during an Angels spring training game in Arizona. His lawyer says Keough's drinking is linked to a brain injury suffered in that incident.'

The above small article fails to mention that he was originally arrested for DUI after failing to stop at an intersection and slaming his SUV into another car. The impact of the crash drove the second car through the crosswalk seriously injuring a pedestrian. Keough then fled the scene.

This is at least the second violation of his parole. Matt just finished a seven week stint in the Newport Beach jail on December 12 for parole violations.

Rem

George Anderson
12-22-2007, 11:27 PM
I actually watch this show and they dont ever bring up Matt's drinking problems. In fact they just said Matt and his wife were seperated and made no mention that he was in jail. I have known about his drinking problem but this is one area of dirty laundry the housewives dont bring out.

remdog
12-22-2007, 11:51 PM
I've never watched this show but maybe they'll bring up this background and it will help explain why they are seperated.

Rem

westofyou
12-23-2007, 10:27 AM
I've never watched this show but maybe they'll bring up this background and it will help explain why they are seperated.

Rem
My wife watches it and asked me about Matt, she said he's a gruff, unfeeling sort of guy... his kid is trying to make it in AAA and his dad was a Red in the early 60's

REM, did he have his bushy mustache?

I ask because my wife was watching the show the other night and the wife said that before she dated Matt she went out with Tom Selleck, and that she always dated guys with mustaches... one of her friends then said ..... That's so eighties.

IIRC Matt was the guy on the Angels who got hit in the head in the dugout by a foul ball... I think it was a really bad injury too.

remdog
12-23-2007, 11:05 AM
I think he had a 'stach but he had his head down and I mostly noticed he was pretty good size with a lot of unruly hair.

Yeah, I'd have to find an old article about it to be sure but I think he got hit right about the temple. When you think about him, Coolbaugh in OKC and what happened to Jaun Encarnacion in the on-deck circle you realize those things can be like heat-seeking missiles.

I originally posted this 'cause of (1) the coincidence of witnessing this and then finding out it was a former ballplayer and (2) it's a good example of the temptations that Josh Hamilton faces everyday. Personally, I think Josh has done a great job and I'll continue to follow his career and root for him. But every night in those hotels there is a bar just a few feet away or even the honor bar right in your room. It wouldn't take much to end up in the situation Keough finds himself in today. My hat is off to Josh.

Thanks for the report from your wife. I've been upgraded to the 80's!! Yeh! Here I was feeling so 70's.....:p:

Rem

Joseph
12-23-2007, 11:59 AM
His son played in A ball last season, Shane Keough, he's an OFer.

remdog
12-23-2007, 12:53 PM
His son played in A ball last season, Shane Keough, he's an OFer.

Also in the Oakland system, I believe.

The A's, to their credit, is supporting Keough and trying to help in getting him treatment.

Rem

George Anderson
12-23-2007, 01:14 PM
IIRC Matt was the guy on the Angels who got hit in the head in the dugout by a foul ball... I think it was a really bad injury too.

That is correct, in fact Keough almost died from it. Keough's attorney is blaming the incident for his problem with alcohol now.

Handofdeath
12-23-2007, 01:23 PM
He was lucky he wasn't arrested after his 1979 season for impersonating a Major League ballplayer.

George Anderson
12-23-2007, 01:27 PM
He was lucky he wasn't arrested after his 1979 season for impersonating a Major League ballplayer.

No but he did get lucky in marrying a former Playboy bunny named Jeana Tomasino. Age has not been good to Jeana but I remember her when she was in the ZZ Top videos and she was very, very hot!!

klw
12-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Always nice to see a "Glory Days" reference.

Well I had a friend was a big baseball player back in high school
He could throw that speedball by you, make you look like a fool boy
Saw him the other night at this roadside bar, I was walking in, he was walking out
We went back inside, sat down, had a few drinks, all he kept talking about was

Glory days
They'll pass you by, glory days
In the wink of a young girl's eye, glory days
Glory days

remdog
12-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I figured someone would get it. :)

Rem

OesterPoster
12-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I figured someone would get it. :)

Rem

I caught it too, but I was expecting you to relate a story about an old high school flame of yours...in particular, one whose husband Bobby left her, and you shared drinks after she put her kids to bed.

But then I realized I mixed up the verses.

:)

remdog
12-26-2007, 05:37 PM
Ummmm......that's a different website. ;)

Rem

GAC
12-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Age has not been good to Jeana but I remember her when she was in the ZZ Top videos and she was very, very hot!!

Appearing in a ZZ Top video would age anyone. ;)

Ravenlord
12-27-2007, 04:31 PM
That is correct, in fact Keough almost died from it. Keough's attorney is blaming the incident for his problem with alcohol now.

i don't think there's a court in the world that'll buy that with all the evidence of genetic predispostion that exists for alcoholism/addiction.