PDA

View Full Version : Rangers hire Johnny Narron to look after Hamilton

George Foster
12-23-2007, 07:37 PM
This was posted by Mainspark over on the other board.From a Rangers-related blog...

Jim Reeves, in his Sunday column for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, notes that the Rangers have brought Johnny Narron (brother of former Rangers and Reds manager Jerry Narron) aboard in a number of capacities, the most important of which will be to continue to serve as confidant and mentor to center fielder Josh Hamilton.

Narron, who coached Hamilton as a youth in North Carolina, served in that role last year for the Reds, in addition to running the club's video system. According to Reeves, he'll do the same for Texas and will also assist the organization as an in-game scout and help hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo. Notably, Narron also provided support for Cincinnati hitting coach Brook Jacoby, who had been with the Rangers for four years before getting the Reds job and had filled in for Jaramillo as big league hitting coach when Jaramillo was sidelined due to cancer treatments.

Narron was also a manager and hitting coach in the Brewers system, but his experience as a friend to Hamilton is why he's here.

There were a lot of negative posts on the other board concerning this. I think it is a good move by the Rangers, and it cost very little considering the salary of Narron is probably + - 100K.

On the road, Hamilton has no access to a support group, or sponsor. Hamilton has been very successful in his recovery so far. If Josh trusts Johnny, and has faith in his ability, what's the problem? Josh has not been clean for that long, and has a past of falling off the wagon, at least before he commmitted his life to Christ.

If you think about it, Josh probably does not know anyone on the Rangers personally. Now he has Johnny, who is knows better than anyone, or almost anyone.

You can call it a babysitter if you want to, but a recovering addict needs a sponsor that they have access to 24/7.

Bip Roberts
12-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Josh is gone i no longer care about him!

TC81190
12-23-2007, 07:53 PM

Well, many here do, and will continue to do so.

I know I myself will follow Josh's progress in Texas.

Degenerate39
12-23-2007, 07:56 PM

I'll be checking Hamilton's stats daily. I hope he stays clean and continues to do well in baseball and life. Just because he's not a Red anymore doesn't mean he's not a good guy.

George Foster
12-23-2007, 07:59 PM

After reading the story about him in ESPN mag., How can you not root for him and wish him well. I care alot about him. I hope he makes the All-Star team for them next year. Here is the article.http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2926447

durl
12-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Good for the Rangers! I applaud them for recognizing Hamilton's progress and Narron's role in helping Josh continue his fight against addictions. I'll be pulling for Hamilton and I wish him all the best with his new team.

Dracodave
12-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I wish him the best too but no more surviallance, no more babysitting, no more watching his lunchmoney, no more prayers for him to stay clean..only the chance to focus every effort on winning and getting somewhere in the division/league.

That means more to me than making sure Josh was okay.

George Foster
12-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I wish him the best too but no more surviallance, no more babysitting, no more watching his lunchmoney, no more prayers for him to stay clean..only the chance to focus every effort on winning and getting somewhere in the division/league.

That means more to me than making sure Josh was okay.

You are a VERY shallow, one dimensional person. I would be embarrassed to have posted your response. Baseball is not more important than someone's life.

Dracodave
12-23-2007, 09:21 PM
You are a VERY shallow, one dimensional person. I would be embarrassed to have posted your response. Baseball is not more important than someone's life.

Actually, I am not shallow, I was posting Josh' risks. Like everyone wants to post Edinsons. It's a two way blade. Don't like the fact that I don't take everyone ragging on the Reds here lightly? You're right baseball is NOT more important than someones life..but You know what gets me more than anything? Everyone over looks that fact Josh has more risks than anyone because for 90 games, he was your savior.

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Not to be harsh but does seem rather odd for him to have to have a babysitter(Narron) for the second straight year...when they do they cut the cord???

gilpdawg
12-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Well aren't you nice.

durl
12-24-2007, 12:19 AM
Not to be harsh but does seem rather odd for him to have to have a babysitter(Narron) for the second straight year...when they do they cut the cord???

When he's ready. Besides, it's too early to do it after only two years. I would offer that more young players in professional sports need "babysitters" but not just for the same reason as Hamilton.

Josh isn't just a young ballplayer, he's a recovering cocaine addict that hit rock bottom. That's a big enough hurdle alone to get over by itself. Couple it with the stress of being a major league ballplayer and it's a GREAT idea for him to have a mentor for several more years.

Bip Roberts
12-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Well aren't you nice.

Yea he wore out his welcome with the team and demanded a trade. Peace out Josh

Degenerate39
12-24-2007, 08:28 AM

Where did you see that he demanded a trade? Of all the stories I've read on the trade not once have I seen this.

Bip Roberts
12-24-2007, 08:49 AM
"as long as im here johnny is going to be here"

I(heart)Freel
12-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Not quite proof that he demanded a trade, is it?

I see no problem with Josh having a mentor on a team. It's good for him, good for his family and good for the team, overall. That's why I can't get everytime Fay writes that it didn't go over well in the clubhouse.

If Josh need someone around him at all times for peace of mind, and the team is willing to provide it, doesn't everyone see that he'll play better baseball accordingly? Better baseball, more wins, chance at playoffs. These things follow. So why get bent about a mentor?

Dracodave
12-24-2007, 12:36 PM
I see no problem with Josh having a mentor on a team. It's good for him, good for his family and good for the team, overall. That's why I can't get everytime Fay writes that it didn't go over well in the clubhouse.

If Josh need someone around him at all times for peace of mind, and the team is willing to provide it, doesn't everyone see that he'll play better baseball accordingly? Better baseball, more wins, chance at playoffs. These things follow. So why get bent about a mentor?

Or you could get players who felt like since he was a friend of the manager and the managers brother, that was getting special treatment..the team went out of their way to assure he was okay. Would they have done that with Brandon Phillips? Did they do that to Ryan Freel after his numerous run ins with alcohol? I'm sure it did affect the team in some way or another when you have the manager and his brother both telling you that you're awesome and the best..while the rest of the team struggles.

Being taken under Griffeys wing or Hattebergs wing and I really don't see a problem with it. I think hiring someone specificly to watch Josh and making it seem like he's going to constantly have things at his disposale after being out of the game for various reasons for 5 years..yeah..I don't see how that could have affected players at all.

gilpdawg
12-24-2007, 01:22 PM
This is why I don't post much anymore. :thumbdown I love the Sundeck.

Degenerate39
12-24-2007, 04:03 PM
"as long as im here johnny is going to be here"

Yeah, that sounds like he demanded a trade bud

durl
12-24-2007, 06:11 PM

That's totally incorrect. The Enquirer had a comment from Hamilton where he said he was surprised by the trade.

Or you could get players who felt like since he was a friend of the manager and the managers brother, that was getting special treatment..the team went out of their way to assure he was okay. Would they have done that with Brandon Phillips? Did they do that to Ryan Freel after his numerous run ins with alcohol? I'm sure it did affect the team in some way or another when you have the manager and his brother both telling you that you're awesome and the best..while the rest of the team struggles.

Freel may indeed need some outside help with his drinking if it's a problem. What Hamilton has gone through is FAR more damaging than anything Freel has endured. From every report I read out of the clubhouse, Hamilton's teammates were fully behind him and there was no indicator that there was preferential treatment. Josh was always speaking about how fortunate he felt to even be playing ball and there was no indication that there was any type of favoritism being shown at all. I believe we should resist the urge to imagine that players are always looking for someone to be jealous of.

Dracodave
12-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Freel may indeed need some outside help with his drinking if it's a problem. What Hamilton has gone through is FAR more damaging than anything Freel has endured. From every report I read out of the clubhouse, Hamilton's teammates were fully behind him and there was no indicator that there was preferential treatment. Josh was always speaking about how fortunate he felt to even be playing ball and there was no indication that there was any type of favoritism being shown at all. I believe we should resist the urge to imagine that players are always looking for someone to be jealous of.

Just a for instance dude, either way I really don't care. The trade happened, I'm not surprised by it. I'm sorry I made rash and harsh comments on Josh but I am really tired of hearing about how many games he could singlehandledly win the Reds.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas, I wish Josh and his family a Merry Christmas, I wish the Reds Org Merry Christmas and with that...Thank you all for listening to me..whether I was a d*** or overtly honest.

Merry Christmas guys!

AmarilloRed
12-24-2007, 08:07 PM
This is why I don't post much anymore. :thumbdown I love the Sundeck.

I hope you re-consider this decision. I am sure all of us would like to hear more from you in the future. As for Josh Hamilton, I will miss him. He brought a breath of fresh air to the team, and he could have been a superstar player in Cincinnati. As a resident of Texas, I will try and keep track of he does on a regular basis and wish him all the best with the Rangers.

Bip Roberts
12-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I was kidding people.... although i do feel he asked to be traded and we said ok

durl
12-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Just a for instance dude, either way I really don't care. The trade happened, I'm not surprised by it. I'm sorry I made rash and harsh comments on Josh but I am really tired of hearing about how many games he could singlehandledly win the Reds.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas, I wish Josh and his family a Merry Christmas, I wish the Reds Org Merry Christmas and with that...Thank you all for listening to me..whether I was a d*** or overtly honest.

Merry Christmas guys!

No worries. I probably overreacted because of statements made in other posts.

I'm not surprised by the trade, either. I would have been happy for him to stay with the Reds but in the business of baseball a guy like Hamilton (still an unknown potential) is the type of player that is good trade material. Young, loads of talent, extremely high potential but concerns about durability. I hope he does well in baseball and in life.

Merry Christmas to you as well. I hope you had a good one.

INRedsFan
12-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Good for the Rangers! I applaud them for recognizing Hamilton's progress and Narron's role in helping Josh continue his fight against addictions. I'll be pulling for Hamilton and I wish him all the best with his new team.

I agree 100%. Baseball is a tough business, particularly as a young player. Baseball is not any different in than any other business.....some people you get along with and others you don't.

I have followed Josh's career every since he was in high school and after he was picked #1 by Tampa Bay. I think it is important for people to compare how Tampa Bay handled their investment in Josh and how Cincinnati and Texas handled their investment in Josh. Hiring Johnny Narron was the best thing that Cincinnati could do to get the most out of their investment and I think Texas is doing the same. It will pay dividends in the future for them.

I hope the Reds community can continue to support Josh in his career and in his life. Josh, we appreciate the excitement you added to this team for the short period you were here and wish you the best in the future.

Jr's Boy
01-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Exactly.