PDA

View Full Version : How was your Christmas??

TeamMorris
12-26-2007, 12:37 PM
We have had a thread like this over the years. No one started one this year so I thought I would:) Always fun to read.

How was your Christmas? Did you receive anything special that you would like to share with us? Anything really surprising happen this year? What are some of your traditions? These are just examples. Post anything you would like!

Hope everyone here on Redszone had a great Christmas!!

TeamMorris
12-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Mine was great as usual! Having a little one in the house makes it so much fun. He is 7 and still believes in Santa with all his heart! I hope we get another year or two but you just never know.

Baseball wise I received a Barry Larkin bobblehead and a new Reds hat. Football, a Bengals hat, T-Shirt and sweatshirt. The little guy got a Bronson bobblehead & Jersey. He was pretty excited about it. I got him a Dunn jersey but gave it to him early so he had it for Redsfest.

redsfan1966
12-26-2007, 02:27 PM
My Christmas was ok..as far as traditions, my spouse and I usually visit her in-laws in Lima, OH and go to Christmas Eve service in Cairo, OH...nothing too spectacular--and unfortunately as I get older it seems the holidays become more of an ordeal....could have something to do with working for a non-profit that puts on a holiday event for the less fortunate....fulfilling to see how we help others, but verrrry tiring preparing for and cleaning up after.....looking forward to the winter caravan...Happy New Year, all...

UKFlounder
12-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Wonderful - especially with such pleasant weather.

I got a digital camera, a new coat, some clothes & a couple of gift cards to Barnes & Nobles and other stores. I can't imagine being any luckier than I was.

My niece was feeling bad, but my nephew (5) had a blast as usual.

It was great. When we came back from my brother's house to my grandparents, we got out of the van and saw 7 deer walking on the hillside, a couple big does & some young ones. That was a really cool site, especially when my nephew starting calling them "reindeer."

It was a wonderful, wonderful Christmas. We missed my great-aunt who passed away a few weeks ago, but know she's much happier now.

It was just incredibly enjoyable and fun. I just wish today had been a weekend day so we could have enjoyed it longer.

Matt700wlw
12-26-2007, 08:10 PM
I got booze.

I also got money.

I have no complaints :p:

I also got to watch 3 little ones (not mine) eyes light up and smile real big when they opened up new toys that I bought them. That may have been the best part!

Part II is Friday.

Hoosier Red
12-26-2007, 08:23 PM
I got booze.

I also got money.

I have no complaints :p:

I also got to watch 3 little ones (not mine) eyes light up and smile real big when they opened up new toys that I bought them. That may have been the best part!

Part II is Friday.

Being the uncle is so cool.
Being the uncle with no kids is even cooler.

I got a snowblower from my in laws and am much relieved.
Part two is Saturday, but that's more giving than getting.

SunDeck
12-26-2007, 08:58 PM
I got no booze this year. Five years in a row, I came home with a fifth of Jameson, but this year I struck out. Maybe people are trying to tell me something.

Christmas is always fun. I enjoy being with the family and the kids. This year was a little bit of a downer because one of my uncles had a heart attack three days before Christmas. He's going to be okay, but we missed having him around.

WebScorpion
12-27-2007, 10:01 AM
Last year my mother passed away on Dec 23rd, so I hardly even remember Christmas day. This year was much better, there were a couple times I really missed my parents, but I just called my brother and sister and talked long enough for them to make me laugh again...we have a great family. I have three daughters and they each got everything I could possibly think to give them and I got tons of hugs and couple dozen moments I'll remember forever (or until Alzheimer's takes them) I did a lot of cooking for my In-laws family gathering on Xmas eve and received loads of compliments on both my Macaroni & Cheese casserole and my Steak & Guinness pie. My seven-year old lost one of her front teeth on Xmas eve, so Santa and the Tooth Fairy both had to visit that night...she says she thinks they are friends and probably sat around her room chatting for a while. My two-year old insisted that she could help decorate the sugar cookies and proceeded to decorate herself, the dog, the walls, inside the silverware drawer, and a little on the cookies too. She's two, so every moment is special...the seven-year old got the DVD 'High School Musical 2' as a gift and the two-year old says, 'We wanna watch Moo-sickle!' She just rambles on in her own language sometimes and her pronunciation is just hilarious...I like it so much, I've recorded a couple of our conversations while she sits in my lap and talks to me. She's a pure joy. My seventeen-year old just broke up with her boyfriend, so she was very close to daddy for the whole holiday season. We talked a lot about her future plans and dreams as well as tons and tons of seemingly unimportant things that make us feel closer. We also watched a few holiday movies together and just cuddled without talking. My soul-mate and I worked very hard to make everything come out just right and the time after Christmas is really our best time...we get a lot of relaxed time together. Besides summer vacation, this is the only time we get large blocks of alone time. On a side note, did you know baby oil can actually break down the molecular structure of the plastic on a twister board? You'd think they'd make an oil-proof one by now. :rolleyes:

Happy Holidays RedsZone!! :beerme:

Joseph
12-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I had a wonderful Christmas as well, lots of stuff I didn't deserve naturally, but my favorite item was Reds related.

Some of you will remember back on September 25th of this year, they [the Reds] retired Davey Concepcion's number 13 and they gave away a commemorative print. The print came in a white envelope with the #13 on it really large and was a shot of Davey in the field. Well my wife had a custom frame and mat made for the print and the envelope side by side because I spent so much of the game just babbling on about Davey and how cool the print was. Its now hanging in my office and is simply wonderful.

Outside that was clothing [including a pair of Reds socks from my in-laws] dvds,cds, and so on. Wonderful Christmas indeed.

Ravenlord
12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
i thoroughly enjoyed it.

except for going to bed alone on Christmas Eve and Christmas for the first time in five years.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-27-2007, 06:54 PM
I had an awesome Christmas. I got Rock Band, Guitar Hero III, and a zune!!!

KittyDuran
12-27-2007, 10:24 PM
[including a pair of Reds socks from my in-laws]I got an extra pair of Reds socks, if you want them...:) {well, maybe your wife can wear them - size 9-11 black wool herringbone print}

GAC
12-28-2007, 07:00 AM
I went down to a family get-together last weekend, and I, as well as various other family members, went away with this stomach virus. It hit me like a rock Monday morning. Norovirus, or as it is commonly called "cruise ship virus" has really been making it's way through central and northeastern Ohio this winter. There was an article in the local paper on it the other day.

It's solely in the stomach and gastrointestinal regions. I spent Christmas Eve not even able to get out of bed. My stomach was a mess for the next 3 days as you constantly walk around with that nauseas "sea sick" feeling all the time.

Haven't eaten anything at all except soup and crackers; but I'm back on track today, and ready to get out of the house.

I want steak!!! ;)

savafan
12-28-2007, 07:26 AM
It probably would have been better had I not totaled my car in a horrific highway crash.

Razor Shines
12-28-2007, 07:44 AM
It probably would have been better had I not totaled my car in a horrific highway crash.

everybody ok?

Someone got my wife that for Christmas also, and for an extra gift the person didn't have insurance.

RedsFan75
12-28-2007, 08:52 AM
sava, Razor, hope everything comes out OK!!!!!

As for my most of the things I got were music related, accessories for my guitar, and my Mom got me a new mandolin. Got my daughter some stuff that brought tears to her eyes, (which is tough to do with a 19 yr old) and that was the special part of Christmas for me. Got to spend it with my Mom and Dad and my Sister and her family so it was a very good Christmas.

dman
12-28-2007, 10:05 AM
My Christmas was great. I didn't get much, though I didn't ask for much either. As I get older, I take more delight in seeing the reaction of those who I buy gifts for rather than my reaction for the gifts I receive. I've been on vacation since the 21st and I don't go back to work until the 31st, so I guess that's enough of a gift for me. I took my daughter to the Columbus Zoo last night and we ice skated for nearly 2 1/2 hours. That was a blast. With each passing Christmas, I find myself really enjoying the togetherness of being with both my side and my wife's side of the family. We spend all Christmas Eve with her folks and all of Christmas day with my folks. It really seems to extend the joy of the season out a tad bit longer.

GAC
12-28-2007, 10:07 AM

I hope the future Mrs sava has taken plenty of life insurance out on you. ;)

dman
12-28-2007, 10:18 AM

We're glad you're still here to tell us about the crash.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Oooo!!! I got a late Christmas gift! My girlfriend made me a scrapbook of my Senior year of football this year, and every game took 4 pages, and was full of newspaper clippings and pictures! That definately beats ANYTHING else I got for Christmas!!!

15fan
12-28-2007, 03:09 PM
My 4 year-old woke up at 3:30 and realized that Santa had come to our house. Mrs. fan tried to get her back to sleep from 3:31-5:00 am. We pulled a tag-team switch, and I took over at 5:01. Kiddo went back to sleep at 5:52 am and slept until about 7:45 am.

We just put in a new driveway. Santa took that as an opportunity to bring me a basketball hoop. Also brought me the 1975 WS DVD set to watch when I recover from my first blown ACL or wrecked ankle. ;)

Edit: And the in-laws left this morning after being here for 4 nights. Hoo-Ray!

LoganBuck
12-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I love watching my children at this time of year. My youngest is 2.5 and the oldest is 5.5. They get so excited opening up gifts, and talking about Santa. My youngest is into Superman, and my oldest just discovered Star Wars and Transformers. BTW, the new Transformers need a degree in Engineering from MIT to transform, not at all like those of my youth.

I got the Bill James Handbook, two different Ohio State clocks, a 10 million candlepower spotlight, a thermos, and a new pair of Carhartt Artic Extremes bibs. Everything on my Christmas list except the clocks. My brother in law also made us a Cornhole Set, which is so cool.

gonelong
12-28-2007, 03:31 PM
I have a four year old boy.

I can't imagine any other Christmas will be as much fun as this one has been.

GL

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2007, 05:37 PM
It was pretty solid this year. I got alot of things that I really wanted for a change. Got me a new fitted Red's cap, been a while since I had a good one. Also as I am sure a few here will appreciate I finally have gotten "Moneyball", and it has been interesting so far (almost through chapter 4) as I have flew through the pages when I have had an opportunity to read.

Got an internal DVD RW drive for my PC. Which if anyone here has installed themselves could give me a little tidbit on understanding how to correctly identify the correct IDE port to hook the new drive to. I googled it and think I have a decent grip on it, but it never hurts to here how someone else has done it.

Also got a new wireless mouse. A Rubik's Cube which I dropped hints for because it aggravated me so in the '80's when I was young but fell more confident now. However by the 26th I was already kicking myself in the hind part's out of aggravation. Got a nice big bottle of Joop cologne (love that stuff). And a few smaller items of need.

Hope everyone else had a nice holiday season. Sorry to hear that Wheels and Savafan had those bad experiences, hopefully everything turned/turns out ok in the end for them.

Mario-Rijo
12-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Oooo!!! I got a late Christmas gift! My girlfriend made me a scrapbook of my Senior year of football this year, and every game took 4 pages, and was full of newspaper clippings and pictures! That definately beats ANYTHING else I got for Christmas!!!

Very cool SCR, hope it all went well.

savafan
12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Yeah, no one was hurt badly...but the after effects pretty much suck.

Chip R
12-28-2007, 11:42 PM
everybody ok?

Someone got my wife that for Christmas also, and for an extra gift the person didn't have insurance.

That was an early Thanksgiving gift for me.