PDA

View Full Version : Patriots/Giants game to be simulcast on NBC/CBS

Reds Fanatic
12-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Apparently Congress has scared the NFL because the Saturday night game originally only to be on the NFL network will now be simulcast on NBC and CBS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3169075

NEW YORK -- The New England Patriots' shot at history Saturday night will be available for every household in the country with a television after months of wrangling.

The game against the New York Giants, in which the Patriots could become the first NFL team to go 16-0 in the regular season, was originally scheduled to be shown only on the NFL Network, which is available in fewer than 40 percent of the nation's homes with TVs.

The league announced Wednesday that the NFL Network feed will be simulcast on NBC and CBS. It's a major concession by league officials, who repeatedly said they would not show the game anywhere but the NFL Network. The NFL had faced mounting pressure from lawmakers in recent weeks to make the game available to more viewers.

Local TV affiliates in the Boston, Manchester, N.H., and New York areas who were already set to simulcast the game under NFL policy will still air it.

The NFL has feuded with major cable companies, who have declined to carry the network as part of basic packages.

"We have taken this extraordinary step because it is in the best interest of our fans," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "What we have seen for the past year is a very strong consumer demand for NFL Network. We appreciate CBS and NBC delivering the NFL Network telecast on Saturday night to the broad audience that deserves to see this potentially historic game. Our commitment to the NFL Network is stronger than ever."

This will be the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of any kind of an NFL game since the first Super Bowl in 1967, when CBS and NBC both televised the first meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League

redsfan1966
12-26-2007, 06:15 PM
This is a great play by the NFL to promo the NFL Network for '08.....but unfortunately does this mean we all will be subjected to Bryant Gumbel???

WMR
12-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Good. The NFL is trying their damnedest to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Congress needs to knock them down a couple pegs. I wish they'd next force them to offer Sunday Ticket to subscribers outside of DirecTV.

guttle11
12-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Why does it need to be simulcast on TWO networks? It makes absolutely no sense.

RedsManRick
12-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Woohoo. Money for everybody!

Caveat Emperor
12-26-2007, 09:28 PM

Given the prolonged nature of the writers strike, I imagine both networks consider a night of free programing featuring two major east-coast market teams a gift from the gods above.

blumj
12-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm guessing it's probably because both networks figured they'd do better with the game than whatever crappy rerun they had scheduled.

sonny
12-26-2007, 11:44 PM
I think so it would still give one of the local affiliates to broadcast its scheduled game, while allowing the viewr to check out the Pats on the other channel.

Chip R
12-27-2007, 12:00 AM

I think because it's an interconference game.

zjr1717
12-27-2007, 03:11 AM
I think because it's an interconference game.

No, that would mean Fox would be one of the two, not NBC.

cumberlandreds
12-27-2007, 08:52 AM

I wonder why FOX didn't get a piece of the pie? With the writers strike I'm sure they would have liked some of this action.

Cyclone792
12-27-2007, 09:10 AM
I wonder why FOX didn't get a piece of the pie? With the writers strike I'm sure they would have liked some of this action.

My educated guess for the following ...

1) NBC has some sort of flexible scheduling clause, and this clause likely enabled them to grab a piece of the pie for the Saturday night game. I have no idea if this has any bearing on the Colts/Titans game scheduled for Sunday night on NBC though.

2) CBS has rights to games in which an AFC team is the road team, and New England is the road team in this matchup so this is likely what enabled them to grab a piece of the pie.

If the Giants/Patriots game was in New England, then I'm guessing FOX would had rights to the game rather than CBS.

blumj
12-27-2007, 09:37 AM
Imagine being the NY and Boston stations who had exclusive local rights to this game? Ouch.

Yachtzee
12-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Good. The NFL is trying their damnedest to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Congress needs to knock them down a couple pegs. I wish they'd next force them to offer Sunday Ticket to subscribers outside of DirecTV.

Actually, I think a big part of the reason for the limited reach of Sunday Ticket is actually caused by FOX and CBS not wanting the masses to be able to watch any game they want. CBS in particular gets large kickbacks from local affiliates for local advertising shown during games. If people could watch any game they wanted on cable, fans would no longer be beholden to the local affiliates for their football and local ad rates would suffer, cutting into the revenues of CBS and FOX. You can blame the NFL if you want, but there are other forces in play keeping Sunday Ticket off cable. It doesn't help that the cable companies and the NFL are at war over the NFL Network. If they could reach an agreement on that, then I think the chances of Sunday Ticket coming to cable after the contracts with FOX and CBS expire would be pretty good.

Ideally, Sunday Ticket and NFL network should be available to anyone who wants to pay for it. For one product, you have powerful companies willing to pay to keep it from you. For the other product, you have the league and powerful companies fighting over who should get the bulk of the revenue from that product. There are no innocent parties in these fights, so Congress has no incentive to provide a windfall to one group, cable companies, when they repeatedly engage in antitrust and anti-consumer policies on their own. They can bluster about seeking the best interest of football fans, but really, football fans are so far down on the list of people who need protection in our society that it's really nothing more than bluster.

Dom Heffner
12-27-2007, 10:29 AM
but unfortunately does this mean we all will be subjected to Bryant Gumbel???

"Maroney for 3 yards."

"Brandon Jacobs for 4, 5, maybe 6 yards." (which is it?)

He is awful. His play by play is as simple and literal as that.

CrackerJack
12-27-2007, 11:05 AM
"Maroney for 3 yards."

"Brandon Jacobs for 4, 5, maybe 6 yards." (which is it?)

He is awful. His play by play is as simple and literal as that.

It's somewhat entertaining to count how many player names he gets wrong over the course of a game though. Probably the least prepared announcer ever. At least he's easy to tune out.

Chip R
12-27-2007, 11:45 AM

:doh: You're right. Can't imagine why NBC would get a piece of the pie then.

Imagine being the NY and Boston stations who had exclusive local rights to this game? Ouch.

I guess WWOR in NYC is hopping mad about this since they have the on-air rights to Giants games.

blumj
12-27-2007, 12:01 PM
It's somewhat entertaining to count how many player names he gets wrong over the course of a game though. Probably the least prepared announcer ever. At least he's easy to tune out.
Just don't make it a drinking game, it's too dangerous.

WebScorpion
12-27-2007, 12:12 PM
This is a great play by the NFL to promo the NFL Network for '08.....but unfortunately does this mean we all will be subjected to Bryant Gumbel???

He is the worst football announcer I've ever heard...the second worst is Cris Collinsworth, who is his partner on these NFL Net broadcasts. Hands down, the worst team of broadcasters in the history of sports. :thumbdown

It's a good thing football doesn't suffer much with the sound muted. ;)

Matt700wlw
12-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Congress really has nothing else to worry about?

Awesome, that means the state of the country is excellent!!

Chip R
12-27-2007, 02:45 PM

Awesome, that means the state of the country is excellent!!

I think it's not so much Congress but their constituents.

Caveat Emperor
12-27-2007, 02:59 PM

Come on...

Don't tell me you never had a teacher in high school give you that old test-taking advice: "If you hit a hard problem, skip ahead and do some of the easy ones first."

;)

Matt700wlw
12-27-2007, 03:08 PM
:D

As long as they don't just mark "C" when they still don't know how to solve it.

blumj
12-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Are non-Pats/non-Giants fans really interested in watching this game? Actually, I wonder if even Giants fans are particularly interested in watching it.

Matt700wlw
12-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I am.

I want to see if history will be made...I'm pulling for New England and I don't even like New England.

traderumor
12-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Awesome, that means the state of the country is excellent!!Well, they had time on their hands after finally getting an AMT patch pushed through in the 11th hour. Man, our country is screwed up. About time for them to revive the BCS Standings investigation now too, I guess.

Roy Tucker
12-28-2007, 12:47 PM
They might as well put this game on QVC and the Discovery Channel as well.

Maybe Adam and Jamie can do a simulcast Mythbusters on the Patriots taping the game.

Blimpie
12-28-2007, 01:03 PM
He is the worst football announcer I've ever heard...the second worst is Cris Collinsworth, who is his partner on these NFL Net broadcasts. Hands down, the worst team of broadcasters in the history of sports. :thumbdown

It's a good thing football doesn't suffer much with the sound muted. ;)I don't think that Collinsworth is even in the same category of suckitude as Gumbel. I can actually tolerate Collinsworth for a game every now and then.

Ironically, I actually LIKE the downplayed visual graphics for games shown on the NFL Network. I enjoy the departure from FOX and their "whooshing" sounds every time a QB rating pops up.

Score, down and distance is fine for this kid. The game provides all the visuals that I need.

Yachtzee
12-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Personally, I like the game analysts for the NFL Network, except Gumbel. I've always thought Collinsworth is a solid analyst, even if I don't always agree with him. What really impressed me this season was, when I was watching the Bengals-49ers game with Deion Sanders and I think Marshall Faulk in the booth. Faulk was pretty good and, although I don't care for him as a studio guy, I was honestly impressed with Deion Sanders in the booth. Sanders and Faulk did a great job of recognizing formations and plays and actually called a number of plays before they happened. I think it showed a lot of homework on their part, something you don't often see coming from color analysts these days. I much prefer that kind of announcing to the dopey "I talked to the coach during pre-game warm-ups and he said they were going to focus on using a balanced attack." They might as well say, "I didn't do any research on the teams playing today, but I talked to someone before the game and they told me everything I need to know."

Dom Heffner
12-28-2007, 03:22 PM
I was honestly impressed with Deion Sanders

He just needs to tone down the "I'm keepin' it real witcha..." slang.

It's like he slips in and out of dialects.

His assessment of play calling and defenses were superb, though, as were Marshall Faulk's.

He's going to be a keeper. I was really imnpressed by him.

blumj
12-29-2007, 10:24 AM
BTW, a fan on a Sox/Pats board nailed it, this feels a lot like the 9th inning of a no-hitter. Except it doesn't just FEEL like the commercials right before it are lasting for 6 days, they really ARE lasting for 6 days.