PDA

View Full Version : Kearns ???

BEETTLEBUG
12-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I saw over on ORG that Kearns is not happy in Washington and might would like to come back, and Leather Pants is interested in Jr. What do think of Magic man and Jr. for Kearns and drop Damage Suit?

Degenerate39
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I like Kearns and I'd like to see him back but I'd love to see Griffey finish his career as a Red though it might not happen. And I doubt Griffey would approve a trade to Washington.

Jefferson24
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Why would KGJ want to go to Washington? I read somewhere recently that he wants to stay in Cincinnati.

If KGJ would approve the trade then sure, but I cant see it happening.

*BaseClogger*
12-27-2007, 01:13 PM
sounds great if we are in dreamland...

ChatterRed
12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Not a huge Kearns fan, but I was at one time. I read somewhere on this board from someone who works for the Reds that Kearns would not make adjustments or listen to coaching.

We need a RH outfield bat. I don't think WK would take him back. I'd rather have Rios, but I think that is a pipedream.

BLEEDS
12-27-2007, 01:38 PM
PPPFFFFT!

Kearns is a stubborn cry-baby. He's also injury prone. He also can't hit righties.

SO, do we really need to spend $4M per year - plus prospects - for a platooning RH bat for Lefties (which he only OPS'd .750 away from RFK)?!?!
I'd rather live with Freel and Hopper - and I thought I'd never say that!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
12-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Hes a head case

schmidty622
12-27-2007, 01:56 PM
yeah no thanks

redsfanmia
12-27-2007, 02:28 PM
We have already witnessed act 1 there is no need for act 2.

PickOff
12-27-2007, 03:12 PM
PPPFFFFT!

Kearns is a stubborn cry-baby. He's also injury prone. He also can't hit righties.

SO, do we really need to spend $4M per year - plus prospects - for a platooning RH bat for Lefties (which he only OPS'd .750 away from RFK)?!?!
I'd rather live with Freel and Hopper - and I thought I'd never say that!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

If the "boy wonder" would deal them straight up and assume the cash differential and future deferments, I would make this deal in a heartbeat.

Kearns is above average defensively and the Reds need a right handed bat. Maybe Griffey has more gas in the tank, but he is just too much of a risk.

I don't see the Nats paying full dollar for him, though.

Nasty_Boy
12-27-2007, 03:29 PM
No thanks Austin. Even with Kearns playing half of his games in GABP, he still wouldn't be as productive as an aging injury prone Jr.

Krawhitham
12-27-2007, 03:38 PM
For JR, NO

for Freel and Stanton YES

the Nats have 10 outfielders on their 40 man roster, they just picked up Lastings Milledge. Freel as a supper sub will help them and the Reds no longer need him with Kep for the infield and Hopper for the outfield.

Pena and Milledge will be in their outfield next season, one of the other 7 outfielders could cover the last spot no problem.

If you could get Kearns for Freel and Stanton it would be a steal.

Bring Kearns back, let him play CF until June. Trade Dunn in June for a good pitcher, move Kearns to a corner and put Bruce in CF. J6P will be happy Kearns is back and will not be so outraged when Dunn is traded.

Stephenk29
12-27-2007, 03:41 PM
No.

That about sums it up.

Chi-Town Red
12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
nope...he will never pan out..

BLEEDS
12-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Bring Kearns back, let him play CF until June. Trade Dunn in June for a good pitcher, move Kearns to a corner and put Bruce in CF.

That's a Great Idea - replace Dunn with Kearns, who can't hit righties to save his life. That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Edit: for reference, his splits righties v. lefties: .258/.339/.389 v 292/.401/.482
You do know we face righties 80-90% of the time right?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Natty Redlocks
12-27-2007, 06:00 PM
How bout: Bray and Majewski for Kearns and Lopez. Anyone?

TheBigLebowski
12-27-2007, 06:26 PM
I know Freel's Whipping Boy Numero Uno 'round these parts but I've never understood why. Freel is one of my favorite players and he's extremely versatile. No way would I even want to think about dealing him for Kearns.

However, any trade that involves Stanton swapping unis does pique my interest..

flash
12-27-2007, 06:57 PM
No, no, and again no.

gedred69
12-27-2007, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=BLEEDS;1525297]PPPFFFFT!

This is so much the truth! I know a couple of guys who interact with the players in different capacities, and both have told me he was a Major whiner. One guy said he griped all the time like a ----well, nevermind!:D

Carolina Red
12-27-2007, 08:34 PM
It's funny how so many people were upset when he was traded away and now so many people don't want him back.

Nasty_Boy
12-27-2007, 11:33 PM
I know Freel's Whipping Boy Numero Uno 'round these parts but I've never understood why. Freel is one of my favorite players and he's extremely versatile. No way would I even want to think about dealing him for Kearns.

However, any trade that involves Stanton swapping unis does pique my interest..

I don't know either??? Freel is just so damn gritty that its hard not to like him. :D ;)

Honestly, I'm not a fan of little guys that try to play big. He swings at too many pitches, he doesn't hit lefties, he's a terrible baserunner, he costs too much money as a utility player, and there are guys that are just as versatile that can hit. And my number 1 reason I don't like Freel is that he fake dives... I don't view diving for a ball 20 feet away as hustle. Just my 2 cents

Krawhitham
12-27-2007, 11:34 PM
That's a Great Idea - replace Dunn with Kearns, who can't hit righties to save his life. That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Edit: for reference, his splits righties v. lefties: .258/.339/.389 v 292/.401/.482
You do know we face righties 80-90% of the time right?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

You gain a pitcher and how many millions? Can anyone on the team hit lefties? When facing a left handed hitter it is almost an automatic lose for this team.

For reference VS rights AWAY from RFK .284/.349/.411

and VS Left AWAY from RFK .364/.475/.606

BLEEDS
12-28-2007, 11:43 AM
When facing a left handed hitter it is almost an automatic lose for this team.

Speak English, please.

For reference VS rights AWAY from RFK .284/.349/.411

and VS Left AWAY from RFK .364/.475/.606

So, you think he's going to platoon in RF for Griffey against Lefties? Because he sure isn't going to start when he OPS's UNDER 700 against Righties - even AWAY from RFK... that would rank him BELOW Norris Hopper...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Newman4
12-28-2007, 02:24 PM
How about just signing free agent Kevin Mench, who hits lefties as well as Kearns, for probably less $$$ and keep our players? (unless it's straight up Kearns for Stanton)

BLEEDS
12-28-2007, 02:54 PM
How about just signing free agent Kevin Mench, who hits lefties as well as Kearns, for probably less $$$ and keep our players? (unless it's straight up Kearns for Stanton)

Because that wouldn't be as fun to talk about! Most guys here only know Reds, current or former, so they want to talk about them.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

jimbo
12-28-2007, 03:33 PM
I really do not think that Kearns fits into the hitters mold that Krivsky envisions and so there is probably close to 0% chance of him ever coming back, at least as long as Krivsky is here. And that is just fine with me.

People still complain about that trade, but in the end I still think the Reds got the better end of the deal. Bray has much more value than anyone involved in that trade. Kearns is nothing more than a decent RF and a very average bat, and Lopez was a one-season wonder who is a liability in the field.

Vada Pinson Fan
12-28-2007, 06:23 PM
I read at one point late last season, that Austin Kearns with his number of at bats was the worst producing RF'er in the National League last year. So that along with his statement that he (AK) hoped to be playing in D.C. for many, many years to come (after signing his latest contract with ole Leatherpants) and playing for the Washington Redlegs, oooops, I mean Nationals. And then his dad said in the same article; how much nicer the D.C. fans are over the Cincinnati fans who boo their players where the Nationals fans don't. I think I would have to disagree with that, LOL!!! Of course, maybe where his dad was sitting, he couldn't hear the boos for the Nationals.

OBTW, has anyone seen the artists drawings for the Nationals new ball park? It appears that the Washington Nationals people wanted to further imitate the Reds by having a "Gap" in their new stadium. Their "Gap" will be on the 1st base side, however. Too funny!!! I guess everything the Nationals seem to do mimics the Reds from time to time and indeed "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"!!!

jmac
12-28-2007, 09:07 PM
No thanks Austin. Even with Kearns playing half of his games in GABP, he still wouldn't be as productive as an aging injury prone Jr.

Thank You.
I remember at a time in Kearns career where he was one of the top hitters in the game (granted only minimal amount of games). One game in particular was Cincy vs Stl and Morris. Kearns who had homered in series already jacked a 3 run shot off a Morris curve and reds won behind Graves 3-1.
Whether the King "setdown" or not was the reason, I do not know, but Kearns went from all-star potential to average outfielder in short time.
Now with our current personel, I agree with those saying "No Thanks".

smoke6
12-30-2007, 11:16 PM
If this WAS real (which I doubt it is), why would we want Kearns? Putting him and Dunn back together again is a bad idea. Kearns always seemed to care less to me.

AmarilloRed
12-31-2007, 01:40 AM
Sadly, Austin Kearns never achieved the potential he had always shown in the minors. Injuries, and his inabillity to listen to people trying to help him improve his game ruined that.
The contract Bowden gave him would make him too expensive for the Reds to want to do the trade, unless Washington would agree to take on all the money.