PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who live near where the time zones change

klw
12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Is it a pain in the neck living near where the time zones shift? Changing clocks, missing tv shows, stores closing an hour before you get there, et or is it just routine? Having lived solidly into Eastern zone all my life I have only run into such issues when travelling.

westofyou
12-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Speaking of Time Zones.... out here I get calls way early from people on the East Coast sometimes as if they don't get that it's 7 AM here... personally I love living on West Coast time myself... sports start at 4 in the afternoon, cheesy award shows are over by 10 and being three hours behind the east coast means slews of drunk dialers find the phone after they get home.

klw
12-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Speaking of Time Zones.... out here I get calls way early from people on the East Coast sometimes as if they don't get that it's 7 AM here... personally I love living on West Coast time myself... sports start at 4 in the afternoon, cheesy award shows are over by 10 and being three hours behind the east coast means slews of drunk dialers find the phone after they get home.

Must agree that on a trip to Seattle I really enjoyed getting the east coast scores on the early news.

12-28-2007, 01:42 PM
I am in west central Indiana about 5 minutes from Illinois. Indiana, for years, did not touch clocks, except for a few counties near Chicago, southeast and southwest Indiana. Now we are on Eastern year round- same time here as east coast. I like it- light out till past 9:30 in June. Counties near the western border can, with permission, stay on central. They seem to want to go back and forth, causing confusion. I work with people from Illinois, and alot of them leave their clocks on Indiana time to avoid cofusion and disruption.

When people complain, I tell them you can't really change the time- you can only change your clock!

Cyclone792
12-28-2007, 01:50 PM
http://www.thesocialcentre.com/images/kramer2.jpg

KRAMER: Look how dark it's gettin' already.
JERRY: Well, it's not Daylight Savings Time yet.
KRAMER: When does it start?
JERRY: I don't know, they just tell you the night before.
KRAMER: Uh. Well, I'm sick o' waiting. I am springin' ahead riiight now.
JERRY: Oh, I'm sure that won't cause any problems ...

Caseyfan21
12-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Is it a pain in the neck living near where the time zones shift? Changing clocks, missing tv shows, stores closing an hour before you get there, et or is it just routine? Having lived solidly into Eastern zone all my life I have only run into such issues when travelling.

It can be annoying but I'm sure once you get used to it, it's not so bad. I lived on the Illinois/Indiana border on the Illinois side for 6 months this past spring/summer. I was probably a half mile or so away from the Wabash River so I was about as close as you can get to the time zone border. I had big problems with my cell phone clock since it aligns with satellites. It would catch different signals and flip flop between times so I ended up having to turn off the auto update and just program in the time manually so I always knew it was right. The town where I lived was very small and Terre Haute (biggest city nearby) was about 45 mins-1 hr away so I usually would go over there on the weekends for entertainment/shopping. That was always annoying because I would frequently forget the time change and get over to Terre Haute and things would be closed. I'm sure once you live in a situation like that for awhile it becomes easier but I'm forgetful so stuff like that was always annoying.

12-28-2007, 02:23 PM
The town where I lived was very small and Terre Haute (biggest city nearby) was about 45 mins-1 hr away so I usually would go over there on the weekends for entertainment/shopping. That was always annoying because I would frequently forget the time change and get over to Terre Haute and things would be closed. I'm sure once you live in a situation like that for awhile it becomes easier but I'm forgetful so stuff like that was always annoying.

Even when things are open in Terre Haute, there isn't much here.

marcshoe
12-28-2007, 02:39 PM
My father taught at Indiana State in Terre Haute for a little while back in '98 and lived just across the border in Illinois. I drove to see him after stopping at my uncle's in Louisville, and became so confused at the different times I was hearing on the radio and seeing on clocks that by the time that I got to his house, I was utterly clueless as to what time it was.

dabvu2498
12-28-2007, 02:52 PM
My father does sales in central and western Kentucky. About half his customers are in central time zone, half are in eastern time zone. He lives in central, keeps his house clocks on central, car clocks on eastern. That would get tiresome.

Luckily, he sets his own schedule and gets places when he gets places at his own pace.

But if you're supposed to meet him somewhere, you'd darn sure better be sure what time he REALLY means when he says it.

15fan
12-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Speaking of Time Zones.... out here I get calls way early from people on the East Coast sometimes as if they don't get that it's 7 AM here...

Mrs. fan deals w/ the flip side of that. Current employer (of about 7 years) has the corp headquarters in Denver. Previous employer (dot com) was HQ-ed in Silicon Valley.

Mountain / Western HQ: "Hey...we're getting ready to go to lunch. Can we pick this up after we get back from lunch?"

(After lunch in Denver / San Francisco translates into quittin time in Atlanta...)

SE Regional Office standard response: "Sure. But when we're in the middle of something the next time your lunch hour comes up, we'll continue it the following morning when we're all in the office at 9am. We'll just call you at home. Does that work?"

Speaking of Denver, we've got a consultant who just started with us on about a 4 month project at work, with potential for about another 24 months. Consultant is from Denver. Week #2, he asked if we could avoid any Monday morning meetings since he's flying in the night before.

After we all stopped laughing, our project director told him that the hourly rate & per diem we're paying him ought to more than cover any amount of caffeine he needs to get himself functioning by 9am on a Monday morning in Atlanta. :devil: