PDA

View Full Version : McNamee to sue Clemens?

Goten
12-28-2007, 10:22 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/29/sports/baseball/29clemens.html?ref=sports

GoReds33
12-29-2007, 12:06 AM
I hope he does. If anything, hopefully it forces Clemens to tell the truth.

ChatterRed
12-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Looks like Clemens can hang on to his lies and go bankrupt by losing a defamation case, or he could come clean and avoid financial loss. ;)

Blondini
12-31-2007, 08:46 PM
If 89 y/o Mike Wallace lobs only softball questions to Roger Clemens in that 60 Minutes Q&A interview, I hope more sportswriters (especially those who have a HOF vote) come up with questions like these from Gordon Edes of the Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/30/fan_with_a_one_track_mind/?page=3) for the press conference, or any time in the next 5 years:

1. You have described Brian McNamee as someone at the "top of the list" of trainers with whom you have worked for the better part of a decade. What possible motive would he have to link you with steroids and human growth hormone?2. If you were in McNamee's position, would you lie to federal investigators, knowing that you were risking jail time if you did?

3. Why would McNamee have told the truth about another of his clients, Andy Pettitte, and lied about you?

4. How widespread do you believe the use of performance-enhancing substances to be in major league baseball, and why didn't you, as one of the elite stars of the game, lobby your union to do more to create a level playing field, if you weren't among the cheaters?

5. Given your one-time regard for McNamee as a trainer and friend, do you approve of the efforts of your lawyer, Rusty Hardin, to do whatever he can to discredit McNamee, even if it means impugning his reputation?

6. In a 2005 interview with the Houston Chronicle, you said: "I'm going to find anything I can that'll make me stronger and allow me to keep up with the 20-year-olds, but I'm going to depend on physicians to tell me what's OK." If you were willing to try "anything" to give you an edge, why should we believe that didn't include performance-enhancing substances?

7. Your sons are athletic; your oldest son is a professional ballplayer. What do you say to your sons about the charges in the Mitchell Report and what they have done to your reputation?

8. Let's assume that you are totally clean, as you claim to be. How can you possibly salvage your reputation in the aftermath of the Mitchell Report? And if you or other top stars are not clean, did you ever entertain the thought that full disclosure might actually be in the best interests of baseball, and help the industry to put behind it some of the excesses of the steroid era?

9. Do you believe it compromises the credibility of this interview that I, Mike Wallace, became friends with you after an earlier "60 Minutes" profile and am a frequent guest in George Steinbrenner's box?

10. In retrospect, do you wish you'd never met Jose Canseco?